Fairpoint Communications page on DSLReports

Review by xQim See Profile

• Location: 01234
Good "It Connects Most Of The Time, No Contract"
Bad "Constant Slow Downs & Drops Requiring Reboot, Never Get Close to Advertised Speeds"
Overall "Way More Expensive and Slower Than The Competition, Terrible ISP"

unFairpoint has to be the worst ISP in the areas it provides services too. I don't need anyone to counter my claim because you will be 1 person out of 10,000 that actually gets the service you are paying for. Except for FAST, the price to speed ratio is downright abysmal. It costs $60/Month for 7.1Mbps/1Mbps. How is that competition when you can get TWC 50Mbps/5Mbps for $5 more? I still think TWC packages are garbage too. The Ultimate should be a minimum of 10Mbps upload. Anyways, I have had unFairpoint DSL several times. All of them were not by choice, as the house wasn't hooked up to the cable grid and I wasn't going to pay $6000 for TWC to run a line up my 1200ft long driveway. I also had it in another town where my distance was 5000ft to the CO, and another town where my distance was 3100ft from the CO and still didn't receive advertised speeds. It started out with Pivot.Net. Anyone remember that horrendous service? It was $60/Month for 256Kbps/96Kbps. Anyways, Pivot.Net was taken over by unFairpoint and the speed went up very slowly. The quickest package for DSL is 15Mbps/1Mbps if you are lucky enough to be in the area that provides this. Most people only have access to the whopping 3Mbps/1Mbps service. Furthermore, GWI leases lines from unFairpoint and can provide 20Mbps/1Mbps @ $44.99/Month. Why can't unFairpoint provide these speeds and pricing?

This is opinion based on experiences with this company. They do not care at all about their customers. Out of all the times I have had their DSL service, at no point did I receive advertised speeds. I realize the gimmick is "up to" but there should at least be a "best effort" to try and give customers the speeds they are paying for. I was even told by a technician that they oversubscribe DSL users 200% plus above what their equipment is capable of and what the town is allotted for speed. Every single time I had the service I would have frequent drops (which was blamed on a hop in New York), slow speeds, even slower between 4pm - 11pm (3rd Picture). Generally, the upload speed was quicker than the download. I also ran into an issue where everyday my speed would be cut in half for no reason, forcing me to continously keep rebooting the modem until my speeds returned to normal. The tech support is terrible. It gets old hearing, "Have you tried rebooting the modem," or "you need to plug the computer directly into the modem," as if either one of these fixes anything.

The service, tech support, and prices are terrible. Yes, the tech support speaks English, but what good is that when they have no idea what they're talking about? The best advice I can give anyone is AVOID this company at all costs unless it is the only landline service.

Here is what I received on a 7.1Mbps/1Mbps service (2nd Picture) and the other picture is what unFairpoint speeds should be (1st Picture | Ethernet 30Mbps/30Mbps). Furthermore, why is DSL always capped at 1Mbps upload when some of the DSL protocols are capable of 3.5Mbps upload? The answer is obvious. They have no competition so there is zero incentive to improve anything. As stated before:

Zero Competition = Terrible Service

member for 11.1 years, 317 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
ajeff

·Fairpoint Commun..

I guess it just depends...

...on where you are located. Westmore, VT:
xQim

join:2003-09-20

4 edits

Re: I guess it just depends...

Glad you get such great service.

·Fairpoint Commun..

Re: I guess it just depends...

Down boy - lets not bump the blood pressure! Unfortunately, most of your assumptions are not correct. I am a semi-retired IT consultant whose only connection to FP is through my clients and at my residence. My home service was installed 1 year ago July and most anyone who was going to sign up did at that time, except the numerous well to do seasonal folk who signed up this summer. The only option to FP is Great Auk wireless (Great Ugh!) and they have become, for the most part, a non issue where there is any competition. No cable in Westmore.

You might remember the feel good national news story about FP using draft horses to string fiber through the mud and snow - that was us. What you probably didn't read was that residents of this town brought drinks and tasty goodies out to the crews that were stringing the cable in appreciation of their efforts to bring reliable broadband to this corner of Vermont on time in spite of terrible spring flooding. I pay $50/mo for 15 down and 1 up and I get what I pay for and happy to pay it. To accuse me of Photoshopping my upload is rather childish.

Professionally I deal with FP, Comcast, Charter, Great Auk, and a myriad of phone providers and I can honestly say I have fewer issues with FP than the cable outfits. My guess is that is not as much technical as much as right of way issues in bad weather (read trees falling on lines!).

I agree that there are many sites trashing FP but as we know, satisfied customers rarely post to forums. Pissed customers often post. You posted because you were upset with your treatment by FP - I posted because I have a problem with your gross generalizations. I don't doubt your poor history with FP but I have a problem with stretching that to include the total footprint of the company. As I said before, it depends where you are...

Orleans, VT
I applaud your decision to remove your original review.

Review by jde5500 See Profile

• Location: Drexel,Bates,MO
Good "Absolutely nothing unless you like to be lied to!"
Bad "Horrible had nothing but problems. constantly down, tech says he showed up when he did not"
Overall "If you want to have internet and have any other options choose someone else!!!"

Worst company ever.... never call back, never show up and they say our internet is working when it is not. Paying $100 a month for 12 MB/s but only get 3 MB/s most the time.

We call multiple times a day and IF they put in a repair ticket they just close it with no knowledge by us. They say that their modems a top of line, we looked it up and its only worth $20 (comtrend) Sorry I could buy a better one at a dollar store. Fairpoint Communications is a complete joke. Wouldn't invest it them ever. I know grade school students with more knowledge than their techs have. What a rip off...They come in and do a speed test say all good then leave, never fixing a problem. Paid for new lines instant problems. Oh and you have to pay for a phone line as well, never mentioned in presale or install. Wonderful!!!! We have to call them at least every other month because the internet is down. This week has been everyday. According to them we had a tech out here this morning I was home all day and no one showed up. They also put in the notes that they called at 9 am today and it was 11:30 when they called. The worst time with the internet was when it was out for a month and because of that I lost my job (I worked from home and needed the internet to do my job). They always said that they had sent someone out and never did. We have only had FairPoint Communications for about 6 months and only use them because they are the only ones that service our area without a cap on the usage. Your better off just running off your cellphone you will have better service. Thank you for your time.

Comments:

Review by forthepeople See Profile

• Location: Selah,Yakima,WA
Bad "bad bad bad"
Overall "absolute thieves"

Upon internal audit of phone service, company stold over $30,000 since 2005...although they claim have have never looked at services they provided? We paid for modem that did not exist and 10 phone lines since 2005 through 05/21/2012. They simply stated we never requested a change in service....are you kidding me? Very limited service in any way, shape or form. They simply charged for services they did not provide. As a courtesy, they would credit our company for 6 Six monthz of DSL that has not exist since 2005. AND they wonder why?

THE END

Comments:

Review by mca824 See Profile

• Location: Kearney,Clay,MO
Bad "Everything"

Speed 4meg ( That's it all they provide )
Took a little over 2 week's after calling them to come and set-up.
Equipment -Motorola RG2200C VDSL Decoder Box
First of all 4meg down..cell phone's get that and more nowadays's !
Second the Internet is Always crashing and when I say Always I mean ALWAYS !
Issue's with the Cable T.V. " There is a problem with your Network Please call ect..."
I've seen people posting that have FairPoint saying they have 15 meg or so down...Are you joking me ?Why are we here in Kearney Mo. limited to a poor sad pathetic 4meg??
Now I've called and reported these issue's..Same response "It has to be something wrong with your Equipment " So I started knocking on doors and asking questions..The result A lot of people have faulty Equipment....Or so they been told by Fairpoint

Comments:

Review by PersonX99 See Profile

• Location: Manchester,Hillsborough,NH
Good "It was easy to set up"
Bad "Consistent less than 1/2 rated speed"
Overall "Comcast is easier"

I have had FairPoint for a little over a week. I ordered 7Mb/768kb, but I am only getting about 3Mb down and 768up.

I am supposed to be on a 30-day money back guarantee, but I have yet to get even close to the rated connection speed. I made MANY phone calls. A tech is supposed to come out in a week and a half. They were surprised when I requested that my "30 day eval" not start until the service is "fully" active. I also requested that I be credited for the time that the service has been down (in this case, since the beginning). Reluctantly, they "agreed". They would not give it to me in writing, but I have ALL of the calls recorded. It probably would not stand up in court, but it might have an impact if I am forced to resolve the matter in arbitration. I hope it does not come to that though. I would rather just get the bandwidth and happily pay my bill.

Customer service at these types of companies are about the same, so I won't say FP has awful customer service. I have never raised my voice on the phone, but for some reason, I seem to frustrate them to the point where they begin yelling at me.

Comments:

Review by Gremlinlord See Profile

• Location: Oxford,Oxford,ME
Good "Free modem, only show in town"
Bad "Terrible service, slow speeds, not getting what you pay for, extreme variable latency"
Overall "If you have ANY other option, take it and forget about Failpoint"

I've been with Fairpoint for about 1.5 years now. They expanded into new territory after our town wrote them a list of people and addresses that wanted high speed. Knowing we had a great desire for high speed they connected our area.

However even though they knew the number of people they rolled out a measly pipe that is always congested. My current speed is supposed to be the 3Mbps teir. I get ~ 2.2Mbps and consider that lucky.

My longest open ticket with Fairpoint was open for 6 months without resolution (it's documented in these forums). As a network engineer myself I know how WAN networks work. Fairpoint is incompetent, it's the only excuse for these issues in a "new" deployment.

If you have any other terrestrial broadband option go for it (note: Fairpoint dsl is too slow to qualify as broadband, hence the "High Speed" in their marketing). There are no other options in my area other then Sat and dial-up, nether of which are viable.

Unless you're looking for trouble, look elsewhere.

Comments:

Review by kvkeerthi See Profile

• Location: Nashua,Hillsborough,NH
Bad "The worst service i ever ever saw"

Every week there is a down time. When ever we call them they will say we have issues in NY, Main,NH,Vermont. They dont even have good Technical Eng the worst ISP i ever saw. I have stopped referring fairpoint........

Comments:

Review by Jbluefire See Profile

• Location: Bar Harbor,Hancock,ME
Good "Better then Dial-up... sometimes"
Bad "PPP drops, high pings, slow speeds"

Ever seance Fairpoint bought out Verizon I have had nothing but problems. When I have to call there tech support, usually due to PPP dropping, it takes about two week of calls and people coming by the house to "fix the problem". They end up "rebuilding the line" and it fixes it 50% of time. If it fixes it I am good for another 2-3weeks before I have to call about that issue or a different one again. It has driven me mad. I know most of their tech people by name.

If I had any other choice I would leave fair point. but I live on a side road with 3 houses. To get cable I have to pay $4000+ to get it run to my house. And the road is on the side of a hill and I can't get satellite internet.

So I am suck with the idiots at fair point. Avoid if you can!

• Location: Montgomery Center,Franklin,VT
Good "its better than semaphore flags or pony express but don't expect value for money"
Bad "excess charges, poor upload speed, and tech support from retarded script readers .. cheats"
Overall "keep away if you can"

Fairpoint represents that they will provide you with Wireless
interconnections for a monthly fee ... YES
Fairpoint will provide you with a ADSL connection ...YES
Fairpoinr will provide you with a ADSL modem ... YES
Fairpoint will provide you with a CLEARACCESS (wireless) AG10W DSL
ROUTER ... YES

HERE IS THE SCAM!

The modem/Router is connected by wire to the ADSL Line and provides
WIRED CONNECTIONS ONLY!

THE WIRELESS ROUTER SERVICE IS TURNED OFF!
YOU CAN ONLY USE WIRED CONNECTIONS!

The only way to get it turned ON is to PAY FAIRPOINT AN ADDITIONAL $29.00

They know this, and will not inform you on HOW to turn it on by yourself
but require that you pay the $29 to get a 'technician' to do it for you.

they dont tell you that you CAN install a wireless router that you obtain elsewhere to do it for very low $ ..and of course have have port forwarding configs and other probs as a result of running 2 routers on top of each other.

(review was emailed from domain gmail.com)

• Location: South Burlington,Chittenden,VT

I got home yesterday from being away for 2 weeks, unexpectedly (my mother

passed away) and came home to a pile of mail. I got a phone call this morning from my husband saying the phone/internet had been shut off at his office. With so much going on I could not remember when I paid the bill last.

I quickly went through all the bills to find Fairpoint envelopes and found the old bill. I found a bill that had $0 past due balance and current charges of $235, our normal monthly amount. The bill was due February 7th (today is February 22) and I found a disconnect notice in my pile of bills dated February 7th. Why on earth would they send out a disconnect notice ON the due date, not the day after, or a week after, but on the due date. I called them about it and they said "it looks like you haven't paid your bill since December 21". They are absolutely right, the bill that said due date of January 7th, was paid two weeks early in December. So, now the phone and internet is shut off at my husband's office and takes up to 48 hours to be reconnected!! This is his business and I don't see how it takes 48 hours to get service back, when in all honestly, it should not have been disconnected in the first place! Has anyone else had this sort of problem? I've never been late on payments before but I can't believe being just 2 weeks late on a bill would get you disconnected? I thought 30 days would be more reasonable, especially when things come up, like a death in the family. Also, does anyone suggest a different phone/internet service provider?

We are definitely not staying with Fairpoint!!

(review was emailed from domain me.com)