Fairpoint Communications page on DSLReports

Review by xQim See Profile

• Location: 01234
Good "It connects, no contract"
Bad "Constant Slow Downs Requiring Reboot"
Overall "Way More Expensive and Slower Than The Competition"

Well, I hooked up with Fairpoint and purchased their 7.1Mbps/1Mbps package. I received my modem one day early and was elated. I immediately set up shop and plugged it in. First things first was to do a speed test. Disappointing to say the least. I pulled out a staggering 1.2Mbps/0.35Mbps. Now I am hardly surprised as I have had their service in the past and had the exact same issue. I called tech support and went over the usual useless recycling of my modem and router which is not the problem. Speed test again. Guess what the results yielded, a whooping 1.2Mbps/0.35Mbps.

Update: Turns out it wasn't their fault. I checked the outside box and the wiring was mutilated by some idiot. I connected each color wire to where it belonged, went inside and checked the speed and received 7.1Mbps/1.04Mbps. Definitely satisfied with that.

*Update* 08/01/2013

I am lowering the overall satisfaction rating of Fairpoint because it slows down and/or cuts the speed in half everyday, multiple times a day, which forces me to reset the modem. Once I reset the modem it will go back up to the normal speed. It does this at least six times a day. It only effects the downstream for some odd reason. It doesn't matter what time of day it is. The speed will just auto reduce itself and it is irritating. I'll be switching to Wideband 50Mbps/5Mbps within the next couple of weeks as I am just downright tired of it. I am sure glad I'm not in a contractual agreement.

2nd is Before Reset. 3rd Is After Reset. I unplug it for 30 seconds and plug it back in. Very Annoying.

HERE IT IS AGAIN. It is really starting to enrage me! Why does it constantly auto reduce for no reason? 4th picture is before reset, while 8th is after reset. Read the screen shot times.

*Update* 08/05/2013

The internet is extremely slow as indicated by the speed test screen shot (7th picture). Like I mentioned before, it does this multiple times a day. Once again I reset the modem and here is a screen shot of the outcome after reboot (1st picture).

*Update 08/28/2013*

Upgraded to RR Turbo for $54.94 (20Mbps/2Mbps) vs Fairpoint DSL $54.99 (7.1Mbps/1Mbps). Difference is clear with the 8th picture. Latency is way less, down and up speed is way up. Love the change.

Fairpoint Ethernet: What all Fairpoint connections should be. Surprised they can even do this. 5th Picture. (30Mbps/30Mbps) Expensive.....Jealous?

Comments:
ajeff

·Fairpoint Commun..

I guess it just depends...

...on where you are located. Westmore, VT:
xQim

join:2003-09-20

4 edits

Re: I guess it just depends...

Glad you get such great service.

·Fairpoint Commun..

Re: I guess it just depends...

Down boy - lets not bump the blood pressure! Unfortunately, most of your assumptions are not correct. I am a semi-retired IT consultant whose only connection to FP is through my clients and at my residence. My home service was installed 1 year ago July and most anyone who was going to sign up did at that time, except the numerous well to do seasonal folk who signed up this summer. The only option to FP is Great Auk wireless (Great Ugh!) and they have become, for the most part, a non issue where there is any competition. No cable in Westmore.

You might remember the feel good national news story about FP using draft horses to string fiber through the mud and snow - that was us. What you probably didn't read was that residents of this town brought drinks and tasty goodies out to the crews that were stringing the cable in appreciation of their efforts to bring reliable broadband to this corner of Vermont on time in spite of terrible spring flooding. I pay $50/mo for 15 down and 1 up and I get what I pay for and happy to pay it. To accuse me of Photoshopping my upload is rather childish.

Professionally I deal with FP, Comcast, Charter, Great Auk, and a myriad of phone providers and I can honestly say I have fewer issues with FP than the cable outfits. My guess is that is not as much technical as much as right of way issues in bad weather (read trees falling on lines!).

I agree that there are many sites trashing FP but as we know, satisfied customers rarely post to forums. Pissed customers often post. You posted because you were upset with your treatment by FP - I posted because I have a problem with your gross generalizations. I don't doubt your poor history with FP but I have a problem with stretching that to include the total footprint of the company. As I said before, it depends where you are...

Orleans, VT
I applaud your decision to remove your original review.

Review by jde5500 See Profile

• Location: Drexel,Bates,MO
Good "Absolutely nothing unless you like to be lied to!"
Bad "Horrible had nothing but problems. constantly down, tech says he showed up when he did not"
Overall "If you want to have internet and have any other options choose someone else!!!"

Worst company ever.... never call back, never show up and they say our internet is working when it is not. Paying $100 a month for 12 MB/s but only get 3 MB/s most the time.

We call multiple times a day and IF they put in a repair ticket they just close it with no knowledge by us. They say that their modems a top of line, we looked it up and its only worth $20 (comtrend) Sorry I could buy a better one at a dollar store. Fairpoint Communications is a complete joke. Wouldn't invest it them ever. I know grade school students with more knowledge than their techs have. What a rip off...They come in and do a speed test say all good then leave, never fixing a problem. Paid for new lines instant problems. Oh and you have to pay for a phone line as well, never mentioned in presale or install. Wonderful!!!! We have to call them at least every other month because the internet is down. This week has been everyday. According to them we had a tech out here this morning I was home all day and no one showed up. They also put in the notes that they called at 9 am today and it was 11:30 when they called. The worst time with the internet was when it was out for a month and because of that I lost my job (I worked from home and needed the internet to do my job). They always said that they had sent someone out and never did. We have only had FairPoint Communications for about 6 months and only use them because they are the only ones that service our area without a cap on the usage. Your better off just running off your cellphone you will have better service. Thank you for your time.

Comments:

Review by forthepeople See Profile

• Location: Selah,Yakima,WA
Bad "bad bad bad"
Overall "absolute thieves"

Upon internal audit of phone service, company stold over $30,000 since 2005...although they claim have have never looked at services they provided? We paid for modem that did not exist and 10 phone lines since 2005 through 05/21/2012. They simply stated we never requested a change in service....are you kidding me? Very limited service in any way, shape or form. They simply charged for services they did not provide. As a courtesy, they would credit our company for 6 Six monthz of DSL that has not exist since 2005. AND they wonder why?

THE END

Comments:

Review by mca824 See Profile

• Location: Kearney,Clay,MO
Bad "Everything"

Speed 4meg ( That's it all they provide )
Took a little over 2 week's after calling them to come and set-up.
Equipment -Motorola RG2200C VDSL Decoder Box
First of all 4meg down..cell phone's get that and more nowadays's !
Second the Internet is Always crashing and when I say Always I mean ALWAYS !
Issue's with the Cable T.V. " There is a problem with your Network Please call ect..."
I've seen people posting that have FairPoint saying they have 15 meg or so down...Are you joking me ?Why are we here in Kearney Mo. limited to a poor sad pathetic 4meg??
Now I've called and reported these issue's..Same response "It has to be something wrong with your Equipment " So I started knocking on doors and asking questions..The result A lot of people have faulty Equipment....Or so they been told by Fairpoint

Comments:

Review by PersonX99 See Profile

• Location: Manchester,Hillsborough,NH
Good "It was easy to set up"
Bad "Consistent less than 1/2 rated speed"
Overall "Comcast is easier"

I have had FairPoint for a little over a week. I ordered 7Mb/768kb, but I am only getting about 3Mb down and 768up.

I am supposed to be on a 30-day money back guarantee, but I have yet to get even close to the rated connection speed. I made MANY phone calls. A tech is supposed to come out in a week and a half. They were surprised when I requested that my "30 day eval" not start until the service is "fully" active. I also requested that I be credited for the time that the service has been down (in this case, since the beginning). Reluctantly, they "agreed". They would not give it to me in writing, but I have ALL of the calls recorded. It probably would not stand up in court, but it might have an impact if I am forced to resolve the matter in arbitration. I hope it does not come to that though. I would rather just get the bandwidth and happily pay my bill.

Customer service at these types of companies are about the same, so I won't say FP has awful customer service. I have never raised my voice on the phone, but for some reason, I seem to frustrate them to the point where they begin yelling at me.

Comments:

Review by Gremlinlord See Profile

• Location: Oxford,Oxford,ME
Good "Free modem, only show in town"
Bad "Terrible service, slow speeds, not getting what you pay for, extreme variable latency"
Overall "If you have ANY other option, take it and forget about Failpoint"

I've been with Fairpoint for about 1.5 years now. They expanded into new territory after our town wrote them a list of people and addresses that wanted high speed. Knowing we had a great desire for high speed they connected our area.

However even though they knew the number of people they rolled out a measly pipe that is always congested. My current speed is supposed to be the 3Mbps teir. I get ~ 2.2Mbps and consider that lucky.

My longest open ticket with Fairpoint was open for 6 months without resolution (it's documented in these forums). As a network engineer myself I know how WAN networks work. Fairpoint is incompetent, it's the only excuse for these issues in a "new" deployment.

If you have any other terrestrial broadband option go for it (note: Fairpoint dsl is too slow to qualify as broadband, hence the "High Speed" in their marketing). There are no other options in my area other then Sat and dial-up, nether of which are viable.

Unless you're looking for trouble, look elsewhere.

Comments:

Review by kvkeerthi See Profile

• Location: Nashua,Hillsborough,NH
Bad "The worst service i ever ever saw"

Every week there is a down time. When ever we call them they will say we have issues in NY, Main,NH,Vermont. They dont even have good Technical Eng the worst ISP i ever saw. I have stopped referring fairpoint........

Comments:

Review by Jbluefire See Profile

• Location: Bar Harbor,Hancock,ME
Good "Better then Dial-up... sometimes"
Bad "PPP drops, high pings, slow speeds"

Ever seance Fairpoint bought out Verizon I have had nothing but problems. When I have to call there tech support, usually due to PPP dropping, it takes about two week of calls and people coming by the house to "fix the problem". They end up "rebuilding the line" and it fixes it 50% of time. If it fixes it I am good for another 2-3weeks before I have to call about that issue or a different one again. It has driven me mad. I know most of their tech people by name.

If I had any other choice I would leave fair point. but I live on a side road with 3 houses. To get cable I have to pay $4000+ to get it run to my house. And the road is on the side of a hill and I can't get satellite internet.

So I am suck with the idiots at fair point. Avoid if you can!

• Location: Montgomery Center,Franklin,VT
Good "its better than semaphore flags or pony express but don't expect value for money"
Bad "excess charges, poor upload speed, and tech support from retarded script readers .. cheats"
Overall "keep away if you can"

Fairpoint represents that they will provide you with Wireless
interconnections for a monthly fee ... YES
Fairpoint will provide you with a ADSL connection ...YES
Fairpoinr will provide you with a ADSL modem ... YES
Fairpoint will provide you with a CLEARACCESS (wireless) AG10W DSL
ROUTER ... YES

HERE IS THE SCAM!

The modem/Router is connected by wire to the ADSL Line and provides
WIRED CONNECTIONS ONLY!

THE WIRELESS ROUTER SERVICE IS TURNED OFF!
YOU CAN ONLY USE WIRED CONNECTIONS!

The only way to get it turned ON is to PAY FAIRPOINT AN ADDITIONAL $29.00

They know this, and will not inform you on HOW to turn it on by yourself
but require that you pay the $29 to get a 'technician' to do it for you.

they dont tell you that you CAN install a wireless router that you obtain elsewhere to do it for very low $ ..and of course have have port forwarding configs and other probs as a result of running 2 routers on top of each other.

(review was emailed from domain gmail.com)

• Location: South Burlington,Chittenden,VT

I got home yesterday from being away for 2 weeks, unexpectedly (my mother

passed away) and came home to a pile of mail. I got a phone call this morning from my husband saying the phone/internet had been shut off at his office. With so much going on I could not remember when I paid the bill last.

I quickly went through all the bills to find Fairpoint envelopes and found the old bill. I found a bill that had $0 past due balance and current charges of $235, our normal monthly amount. The bill was due February 7th (today is February 22) and I found a disconnect notice in my pile of bills dated February 7th. Why on earth would they send out a disconnect notice ON the due date, not the day after, or a week after, but on the due date. I called them about it and they said "it looks like you haven't paid your bill since December 21". They are absolutely right, the bill that said due date of January 7th, was paid two weeks early in December. So, now the phone and internet is shut off at my husband's office and takes up to 48 hours to be reconnected!! This is his business and I don't see how it takes 48 hours to get service back, when in all honestly, it should not have been disconnected in the first place! Has anyone else had this sort of problem? I've never been late on payments before but I can't believe being just 2 weeks late on a bill would get you disconnected? I thought 30 days would be more reasonable, especially when things come up, like a death in the family. Also, does anyone suggest a different phone/internet service provider?

We are definitely not staying with Fairpoint!!

(review was emailed from domain me.com)