Fairpoint Communications page on DSLReports

Review by Kirby Smith See Profile

• Location: Derry,Rockingham,NH
Good "Continued uneventful operation of ex-Verizon FiOS"
Bad "Still no TV"
Overall "Worth every penny"

Fairpoint FAST is heritage Verizon FiOS. (See earlier FiOS review.) I have two ONTs running 30/15 and 30/15. Except for occasional wee hours of the night dropouts, presumably for maintenance, it just keeps chugging along.

Upload/download speeds are limited by my ZyXEL USG 50 router's IDP processing to lower rates than 30/15, so I can't provide valid inherent FAST data until I upgrade the router.

Apparent congestion latency interfering with video feeds may be observed Friday and Saturday nights.

member for 13.7 years, 4420 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by ajeff See Profile

• Location: Orleans,Orleans,VT
Good "Rock solid 15meg down, 1meg up"
Bad "None yet"
Overall "After years of the worst internet service on the planet (Great Auk Wireless) FP is like going to heaven."

The morning DSL went live in Westmore I received a call from a FP sales agent who signed me up and a modem was on my doorstep in 48 hours. Hooked up myself and a tech showed up about 2 weeks later to tweak my 30 year old lines - now get the 15meg down anywhere in the house. Lost the Westell modem (junk!) during a thunder storm and a new one was overnighted - can't complain about the service. In dealing with FP on a professional basis, 3 things ring clear: 1) The sales and support people are located in the US and speak perfect English 2) The sales & support people really want to help and solve any problems 3) The sales and support people don't always have all the tools necessary to accomplish #2.

1/26/12 6 months later everything still rock solid....

10/15/12 I hate to be boring but everything is still rock solid - no glitches whatsoever to report. I might suggest changing out the modem/router. I never have to reboot my Netgear DGN2200 ($20 delivered on Ebay). Running Voip.ms and Googlevoice out of an Obi 110 with no issues.

4/25/13 Still rock solid!

11/3/13 No change!

4/7/14 More boring news - still rock solid. BUT - FP lowered my monthly charge by $8 when I called to ask about their latest promotion.

8/18/14 still rock solid 24/7!

member for 7.2 years, 2974 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
xQim

join:2003-09-20
·Fairpoint Commun..

You are the only one....

You are about the only person to receive close to advertised speeds. I am nothing short of amazed. I would however, love to see a few other peoples speed test results that also live in the same town as you to get an average.

And how far are you away from the CO? I'm betting less than 5000ft.

Review by hiltonizer See Profile

• Location: Newton,Rockingham,NH
Good "Good speeds, reliabilty, and latency. GREAT pricing."
Bad "Issues, while rare, are slow to correct."
Overall "Fiber service highly recommended."

On my 3rd year with Fairpoint FAST now. In New Hampshire, this is the old and extension off previous Verizon FIOS footprint.

Installation time was average. When I first moved in it took Comcast 2 weeks to get to me, the lead time to cut over to Fairpoint was 10 days or so.

The tech was great. They have a great deal of autonomy, he gave me his cell number and instructed me to call him with any issues. Unfortunately, I had horrific latency and throughput issues, the service was essentially unusable. Troubleshooting this took some time, a few weeks. I was ready to grovel back to Comcast. Eventually they replaced all equipment and ran a direct line to my modem to rule out house wiring and this got things running great.

About 2 years of flawless service later, I had my first real problem. A few -10-20F nights and my connection completely dropped. It was happening nightly for almost a week, phone support was less than useful. Once the subzero cold spell broke, it was fine for a month until the next cold spell, where it died completely. Fortunately I was able to tether my 4G phone for work. Eventually a modem/router and ONT replacement were done after they exhausted all other options and things went back to being great. It took almost 3 weeks and 3 tech visits to get this resolved. I got the sense support is disorganized and punts things around.

It's been almost year since then, hopefully no more problems with the cold spell this winter. I was locked in 3 years ago at the 30mbps for $40/mo rate and am happy to have dealt with the few hiccups. Even with my data overage from tethering during outages, I'm still WAAAAAAAAAY ahead of where I would be with Comcast, which had horrible reliability during peak hours... and required modem replacement every 6 months or so.

My biggest complaint would be the Actiontec Routers, my 2nd one is OK now that its a newer version equipped with N networking, the previous one required lots of rebooting. The lack of features and having to at the very least use it as a bridge sucks, I wish I could replace it without much hassle and put a real piece of equipment in its place. One of these days I may hack around it.

I'm in IT, and work remotely almost exclusively. It suits my purposes very well.

Speedtest: »www.speedtest.net/my-result/2933121469

Comments:

Review by NObama See Profile

• Location: Nashua,Hillsborough,NH
Good "Price, Speed (30 / 15), UNMETERED connection"
Bad "Nothing yet"
Overall "If it is reliable, it is a great value for the money"

3/18/2013 UPDATE - Connection and performance are still as good as the day we had it connected. No issues and have not had any outages. No complaints. Thank you Fairpoint.

SEP 2012 INSTALL - Moved to a new house in an area that Verizon wired for FIOS prior to selling it off to Fairpoint. My Comcast internet was fast, but suffered modem resets on almost a daily basis over the past year.

Cutting the cord anyway. No more Cable TV. With an unmetered fiber connection, HDTV antenna with all the Boston channels, Netflix, Amazon Prime, and a Roku, we should be good for a while. $150/mo to Comcast was too much.

Appointment was set between 8am and 5pm today, and I figured i would be waiting until 430 for the tech to show. Fairpoint confirmed yesterday with an automated system. The tech called around 9am and said he would be here in 30 minutes. Did the walk through, picked the spot for the box, and he was done a little after noon. He took lunch while the home office provisioned the unit, came back around 130, and it was working.

30/15 connection, unmetered, for $45/month.

Tested at 29+/14+. Let's hope it stays that way.

Six weeks or so later and speeds are still right up there. Like other ISPs, occasional congestion slows speeds down on occasion. My work laptop at times won't connect to the wireless modem/router Fairpoint provided. It has been okay recently, but I am not sold on the provided modem/router.

All told, I am still satisfied with the service so far.

Comments:
johnmull

join:2012-11-27
Manchester, NH

nice

it really does depend on where you are, southern NH is great but in manchester NH where i am i can get a max of 1.5 D and .750 up, terrible speeds and after numerous techs coming to see the problem they basically told me i have no choice either go with 3mb down and get disconnected all the time or stay with 1.5mb and have a stable connection. basically i was told i am too far from the service center and the further you are the worse it gets, i really wish fiber was around here but i think comcast owns this city. i'm ready to pay a little extra so i can watch youtube videos while my kids watch netflix, its pretty sad i have to turn off HD when watching youtube 480p is just not the same

Review by mutex77 See Profile

• Location: Salem,Rockingham,NH
Good "Way better than comcast, and alot cheaper"

Ive had comcast, verizon and now fairpoint at various houses over the last few years. I moved to southern NH and signed up for comcast for tv & phone and fairpoint for inet. I'd definitely fall into the "heavy inet usage" catagory, and ive been that way for over a decade. The inet goes down and I start to shrivel

Fairpoint was awesome with the install, calling the installer about some minor probs and then having him call me to figure out how to make it work. I had a small emergency and had to leave for 15 mins during that 4 hour window where they were supposed to show up. Comcast told me if i wasnt there i'd have to reschedule. Of course comcast was then almost 4 hours late so it wasnt an issue.

Its now been about 6 months, and I still have comcast TV and fairpoint inet. Ive had 2 cable boxes from comcast fail and some other problems with the TV, but the fairpoint inet has been awesome. No probs at all.

The speed on fairpoints FAST is comparable to FIOS, which is very fast imo. 30Mdown, 15M up and for the most part I seem to get it. Ive seen comcast's xfinity do ok on speedtest.com, but then saw large file downloads get noticeably slower. I found out this is comcasts "speed boost", it goes fast at the beginning or for a small file (or speed test) but then they slow it down. When I pay for a certain speed, I expect that speed all the time. I downloaded a linux dvd over bittorrent from my friends comcast connection and it averaged 275kbs, I went home and downloaded the same at 480kbs. My connection is 30M down, his is "up to 50M down" and pays over twice as much for his inet. We actually ran a few more tests over the next few days and there was 1 that comcast just barely won, the rest were fairpoint hands down.

Now the best part. Fairpoint is $40 for inet, and then around $5 for the modem so my bill is $45. No fees or other BS. My comcast tv/phone package is $119, but by the time your done with all the fees and other BS its over $150.

Ive heard horrible things about Fairpoint. Seems like they had nightmare in ME and VT but I can tell you in southern NH they're awesome. I just wish they had FIOS TV and I could dump comcast altogether!!

member for 2 years, 0 visits, last login: 2 years ago

Comments:

Review by Estragon See Profile

• Location: Greenville,Hillsborough,NH
Good "Reliable, faster than average"
Bad "It isn't FTTH @ 100Mbps"
Overall "Fairpoint delivers what Verizon wouldn't think of doing"

October 2009:
I first called Bell Atlantic about DSL in fall of 1998. In fall of 2009 Fairpoint finally delivered it.
It's 1467 Kbps down and 342 up. It's not heaven, but it's our only option here.

August 2010:
Fairpoint has delivered fiber to our local RT, and now I am getting faster speeds. It's now 9287 Kbps down and 965 up.

April 2011:
Still happy. Three cheers for Fairpoint!

member for 11.3 years, 3778 visits, last login: 2.1 years ago

Comments:

Review by Nfurber2 See Profile

• Location: Stockholm,Aroostook,ME
Good "15/1 speed"
Bad "Nothing so far"
Overall "45 a month for a year then 60 after. Well worth it so far."

Well I moved here to Stockholm, Me a little over 3 years ago. At the time the only place that did any business here was Time Warner and they only offered TV and poorly at that. They sold their business here off to various companies which eventually all pulled out leaving nothing and no hope of broadband service anytime soon. Finally though Fairpoint made it's way here with their 15Mbps down and 1Mbps up plan which has been working perfectly for over a week now. I'm able to watch Netflix in HD while two computers are downloading torrent files and my kids play games online with no problems. I've not suffered any disconnects and no noticeable slowdowns. Time from order to install was about a week counting the weekend. The install went flawlessly and the tech was in and out in about 20 minutes and I was up and running at full speed. My typical speedtest.net results are about 14.8-15.1Mbps down and about .98-1.02 up so I'm dead on for my speeds. I've read a lot of negative reviews but it seems their new vantagepoint service is much improved over the normal dsl left behind by Verizon.

Comments:

Review by DasBoot See Profile

• Location: Bowdoin,Sagadahoc,ME
Good "So far so good"

I had Comcast 8mbs service and was lucky to get 5mbs and it was at times horrible. Most notably when the wind blew or it was storming. I just got Fairpoint DSL yesterday and it has been better than cable so far. I am getting the advertised speed of 7mbs and have no problem streaming Netflix to my tv. I have a Westell 7500 modem which is also wireless but I do not use it for wireless because it is only a G. I use my Belkin N router and it works just fine. I am close enough to the hub (1200 feet) where I can upgrade to 15mbs. I pay 33.95 for the first year and then it goes to 39.95. I was paying 44.95 for the Comcast internet. I have Vonage for phone.

Comments:

Review by buzzardseton See Profile

• Location: Stockholm,Aroostook,ME
Good "Price for 15mb download"
Bad "damn thing won't stay up"
Overall "the only thing other than Hughes net i could get"

my significant other works from home for a major insurance company doing claims. at any given moment the internet will go down come back up and go down immediately. this goes on for hours on end. after some time it will stay on for hour or so without a hesitation. then we loose connection on the dsl modem and alas the internet goes. this is a big pain in the backside as she has to use a token to log back on her work site every time it goes down. i've contacted them by voice and e-mail and they say they will look into it, i'll update that later. when it works it work just fine, but the constant up and down drives you up the wall. i live in stockholm me and don't have any other choice other than Hughes Net which imposes a down load limit of 450mb per day for $80 or so dollars. hopefully Fairpoint will get it together shortly. customer support has been friendly so far and seems to want to help. we have a westell modem. if they can fix this dropped connection thing i will be happy with them, guess i'll just have to wait and see. they did call every day before the install to inform me of what was going on.

Update 02/26/2011

came out today and finally got the system up to where it should be for the time being anyway, if it stays this way i will be happy and if so i will change my connection rating. the tech who came out today seemed to know his stuff and ran a new line from the box and did some repairs that should have been done by the original installer.

Update 02/20/2011

running great since they came out and re-tweaked everything, good speed and hasn't dropped the internet once since the tech did his magic. i'm a happy camper now and shouldn't have any more problems...

Comments:

Review by erikthebean See Profile

• Location: Dover,Strafford,NH
Good "Good Price (promo price that is) Good Tech Support/Customer Service"
Bad "Wish it took less then a week to install."
Overall "Stable DSL connection."

So I ordered DSL about a week ago, got the modem within 2 days, and was turned up when promised. Before the line was turned up I did run a Cat5e from the NID to jack and checked the drop connection from the street to NID. It's a really old drop cable, but it's all good.

Only downside....I had to call Tech support to get my PPPoE username and Password....When I called @ noon they said due to system limitations they were unable to give it to me until 5pm. At 5 I called and got it. Since I know how to set up PPPoE it was easy. For the average user might be kinda tough, but you can get through it.

So far so good. The modem they supply is old Verizon Firmware with the slapped Fairpoint logo. Even the box it comes in says Verizon on it. My downstream SNR is at 10db's which is eih ok. They have me sync at g.dmt and interleaved...so no ADSL2 or 2+ as of yet which is ok. Im on the 7.1/864 package and getting 6.5 down around 700 up so thats right w/ overhead. Im a happy camper all in all. Very suprised it is going this well. More to follow at somepoint.

Update 11/7/2010

Well still have FP. It's not bad at night sometimes I notice a slowdown every now and then wish I had the FairPoint Fast product here.

Update 12/6/2010

Still works no issues. Wish my dsl was on fastpath instead of interleave, but o well. My promo is almost over so instead of paying 25 bux it will be about 55 ish. So for that price im not too sure on what im going to do as of yet. For the price right now im pleased, but for 50 dollars, Comcast is throwing down a steady 20/2 (before powerboost) so we will see. All in all im pleased with FairPoint. They seem to have that smaller company feel that I like.

Update 1/27/2011

So I moved to Manchester. I'm far from the CO so I dropped to 3/768. For being so far away I have an extremely stable connection, and now im at ADSL2+ from gdm so im happy. It is set to interleave but because of the distance I get why. Still happy with FairPoint, and plan to stay with them.

p.s. why are isp's still using pppoe today>>>???