Razzolink page on DSLReports

• Location: Seaside,Monterey,CA
Good "You don't have to call anyone for setup. The box is already in your house"
Bad "They claim 3MB/s speeds but you get no faster than dial-up"
Overall "This is an awful provider, with slow speeds, that doesn't meet today's customers needs"

Internet is slowwwwwwwww!. I presently have the 3MB/s package which is the
fastest bundle they offer in my area. I've lived all around the country and
this is the slowest internet I've ever had. On some days, the speeds are
feasible enough for web surfing, but on other days it can take anywhere from
2-3 minutes to properly display a simple webpage like www.yahoo.com. This
provider will never be able to accommodate people who like online gaming at
the speeds it presently offers. And with more and more people streaming videos
through netflix, hulu, youtube, and other video websites, this provider
fails to meet the needs of today's customers. Unfortunately, I cannot
change providers because Razzoo Link is the only provider in my area (Fort
Ord Military Housing). If you live in an area that has multiple providers,
avoid these guys like the plague.

Matthew Wells

(review was emailed from domain googlemail.com)

• Location: Seaside,Monterey,CA
Good "Easy, fast setup. Good support."
Bad "Consistently slower than advertised speeds, Extremely Pricey, Extremely high latency AT ALL TIMES"
Overall "Don't bother, if you live in Fort Ord, you can get DSL now. It's better."

There service is slow. It is better than a dialup connection but
consistently slower than advertised. At one time Razzolink had a
monopoly in Fort Ord and has taken advantage of it, but now in most
parts of Fort Ord DSL is available. Don't bother with Razzolink, even
poor DSL service WILL BE faster and cheaper.

(review was emailed from domain gmail.com)

Comments:

Review by Devin82m See Profile

• Location: Seaside,Monterey,CA
Good "The installation technician went out of his way to find good placement for the antenna. He spent 3 hours one day updating firmwa"
Bad "Consistantly at dialup speeds, customer service blames you, cheating customer by charging for service that is a lower level plan"
Overall "I have had 5 ISP in the last 10 years, this by far THE WORST ISP IN EXISTANCE! They know they have the monoply in Fort Ord."

My wife (Navy) and I moved in old Fort Ord housing in January on 2011. It took us 3 weeks to get the service activated because our existing equipment was bad and our antenna could establish a connection (Never go with wireless ISPs). The install tech was great, he spent 4 days over 2 weeks trying to fix the issue. He even spent 2 hours updating the firmware (supposedly) to get rid of the "built in speed governor" in the antenna (or whatever the radio unit is called). Well, he finally got it going and it started with a decent connection (Still not 3.0 Mbps like we are paying for) but I was happy to get 2.0 to 2.5. I have had 5 different ISPs in 10 years and all advertised "up to speeds" but I almost always got 0.1 off from what they advertised (even Cable!). Not Razzolink! When I do have a connection that isn't dial-up speed I never get more than 2.5 and that is lucky, I have to reset the equipment literally about 25 times before I get a good connection to one of the few towers in the area. I check the radio once in a while and the bars are full showing strong signal. Anyway it is now August and about 70% of the time I tether my computer through my cell phone for 1.0 to 1.5 Mbps because Razzo is slower than dial-up. Whenever I call tech support I get the "up to" speech then they have me reset the equipment, directly connect to the modem, then blame my router even though the direct connection to the modem gives the same results on 2 different computers with no viruses! I have been in professional IT for about 7 years now and dealt with ISPs and every crazy computer, server, network appliance related issue known to man and I have NEVER encountered such a horrible, insulting, and false advertising ISP as Razzolink. The old Fort Ord community for some reason won't allow better and faster ISPs in the neighborhood so for now Razzolink has the monopoly here. The best alternative here is AT&T dial-up. I write this review right before I call their tech support again (10 times now) because 3 weeks ago they had a neighborhood outage and ever since then I can't even get 1.0 Mbps. Oh and another thing! Because Razzolink runs everything through outdated wireless tech every fog and sand storm from the beach only a mile away screws with the signal quality and causes a lot of latency so that you end up with bad packet loss (what the a ping is a joke) and horrible upload speeds (logging into a website is horrible because of upload suck). I'm actually considering switching to 3G router service with Sprint (my cell provider). Trust me, I could go on but I would be surprised to know someone read this much of my rant. Just know Razzolink is by far the worst ISP there is, in my experience opinion.

Comments:

Review by wildhayr See Profile

• Location: Hollister,San Benito,CA
Overall "Horrible customer service, great technicians."

Razzolink's customer service is terrible. I didn't think I was getting the higher residential service I was paying for $47.95. I finally called for a technician to come out. Two technicians (great guys!) tried for a couple hours to find a spot on my house to get the minimum service ("up to" per the customer service manager). They finally gave up and said I shouldn't have been paying for higher service when I couldn't get the minimum. I called and asked about a refund for overpayment. I was told a manager would call me back, which never happened.

Two weeks later now and I had to call the manager, who said "oh I'm sorry it's a done deal you closed your account, can't help you."

Comments:

Review by SealyU See Profile

• Location: Hollister,San Benito,CA
Good "Better than Dial up"
Bad "Constant service interruptions, Inconsistant speeds"
Overall "Don't live in the country if you need high speed internet!"

I started out as a PCWI customer years ago. I was paying 44.95 a month for a 1M up / 1M down wireless connection. The service was horrible, when you could get ahold of them. They finally upped my connection to 2M/2M so I could get the advertised 1M/1M connection.

Along comes Razzolink to buy the failing PCWI. Finally, some 24/7 tech support. Unfortunately, the tech support they provide is not with technicians, its just someone who answers the phone and walks you through a troubleshooting script for your own PC. If there is a network issue on their side, they are of no help at all.

At some point, my bill automatically was changed from 44.95 to 47.95 per month. No notification, just upped the charge.

As of 2011, it looks like my service is getting worse and worse, they've modified my connection to 1M/300K. The latency jumps all over the place and trying to make phone calls with a VOIP phone is almost worthless.

Email Service:

I got an email account from them to send me notifications of service changes etc. I turned on forwarding to my Gmail account so I wouldn't have to log in to their web mail. Needless to say, the forwarding doesn't do anything. I just checked my Razzolink email, 31 weekly "Spam Protection" alerts, none of which were forwarded to Gmail.

Wish I had another option.

Comments:

Review by momerath85 See Profile

• Location: Gilroy,Santa Clara,CA
Good "Fast, Low Latency, When it works"
Bad "Un-reliable connection, Latency all over the map"
Overall "Service started off great when they took over PCWI, but things have gone down hill fast."

Originally signed up with Pacific Coast Wireless Internet. They were a horribly run company, that ran the service into the ground.

Razzolink came in and purchased PCWI and over a few months made a very reliable, and fast network. Things worked great for well over a year.

Fast forward to know. Service is spotty, constantly going out, dropping packets, latency all over the map. They also have had numerous outages, including one lasting for 3 days.

Bottom line is, the service is okay when it works, but more often then not you don't reach the speeds you should, and the service is unreliable. In the price range Razzolink is at, you won't find any better competition - but if you rely on your internet, this is not the way to go.

Comments:

Review by radojevic See Profile

• Location: Salinas,Monterey,CA
Good "Monthly contract, 3.0Mb/s download, 700Kb/s upload, 59ms latency"
Bad "Doesn't make me coffee."
Overall "Much better than satellite ISPs, rivals DSL, great if you're out in the boonies, like me."

»www.razzolink.com

We dropped EarthLink Dial-up, which we were very happy with, several years ago in favor of Razzolink Wireless.

We ordered Residential Premier Service, which is listed at 2000/512 (2Mbps down/512Kbps up).

Update (10/22/2010):
We upgraded our service to Residential Premier Plus, which is listed at 3000/700 (3Mbps down/700Kbps up).

We are getting 3.0Mbps download speed with 600Kbps upload speed.

Not bad for a 9 mile wireless connection.

Update (09/22/2010):
Razzolink updated software on their end a couple days ago and dramatically improved our service.

Before the update: 1.0Mb/s - 2.0Mb/s download
After the update: 2.0Mb/s download (spikes up to 3.75Mb/s)

Before the update: 100Kb/s - 150Kb/s upload
After the update: 500Kb/s upload (spikes up to 900Kb/s)

Before the update: 49ms - 89ms latency
After the update: 49ms - 59ms latency

Update (04/24/2010):
We upgraded to a new fixed wireless service, which replaced our Navini Ripwave modem with a Purewave modem.

The Purewave modem and antenna are an integral unit mounted on our roof with clear line of sight to the Fremont Peak tower.

Our recent performance:
Navini:.......1.2Mb/s download 300Kb/s upload 159ms latency
Purewave:..2.0Mb/s download 400Kb/s upload 49ms latency

Based on the performance numbers it doesn't look like much of an improvement, but real world usage shows a dramatic improvement.

Remote Desktop Connection, online gaming, Netflix video streaming, YouTube video streaming, and of course, downloading large files have all dramatically improved.

We get a signal strength of -81 dB. Razzolink would like it to be -70 dB or better. Of course, so would we. Our latency is around 49ms, which is similar to a DSL connection, and higher than Cable. The connection stability, speed, and latency are good for everything, including online gaming, which my son can attest to.

We have typically have 5 computers (MS Windows 7, MS Windows XP SP3 and MacOS 10.3.9), 1 Pocket PC (MS Windows Mobile 5.0), and 1 BlackBerry Storm 2 (OS 5.0.607) accessing the Internet at any given time.

Update (10/24/2007):
Our download speed increased from 1.3Mbps to over 1.4Mbps over the past few months. This was verified by using »www.speakeasy.net/speedtest

The wireless tower is on Fremont Peak approximately 9 miles from our house. We have a small directional antenna connected to a small long range wireless modem operating at 2.6GHz inside the house pointing towards the tower.

We get a medium high strength signal. Our latency is around 100ms, which is similar to a dial-up connection, and higher than DSL or Cable. The connection stability, speed, and latency are good for everything, except online gaming, if reaction time is critical.

We have typically have 5 computers (Windows XP SP2 and 10.3.9) and 1 Pocket PC (Windows Mobile 5.0) accessing the Internet at any given time.

Cisco VPN Client v4.8, and v5.0 for Windows works well with this service.

Our Internet connection has been very stable for the past few months. There have been periods of a few weeks at a time where our signal strength will be very good, but the connection would be marginal, because of equipment problems on the ISP end. A quick call to technical support, and they are on it.

I have received calls and e-mails from very informed technicians, as well as, the president of the company ensuring I was satisfied.

Overall, I am very pleased with their service, especially since it seems to just keep improving.

I highly recommend Razzolink Wireless Internet Service.

member for 13.8 years, 2597 visits, last login: 1.4 years ago

Comments:

Review by RC3 See Profile

• Location: Castroville,Monterey,CA
Good "Works most of the time"
Bad "Outages more frequent, getting slower and slower"
Overall "May be better than satellite (or not)"

I purchased the fastest residential service offered (speed up to 2000 kbps). I was told that my actual speed would be about 1500 kbps. The actual speed I received was a little over 1100 mbps. I was relatively happy. Since early 2009, speed and reliability have declined. Average of 3 speed tests conducted today was approximately 875 kbps download, 325 kbps upload (using Speakeasy). During evenings, the service can become unresponsive. While I could once watch streaming video, now the service is usually too slow to do so. Others I know had universally favorable opinions of Razzolink through 2008. Since early 2009, the universal opinion is that the service is deteriorating. The company I work for recently switched to a T1 connection because Razzolink upload speeds were in the 200-300 mbps range and there were frequent outages, especially during lunch hour. Razzolink needs to invest in and upgrade the system or customer loyalty will evaporate. I have considered a move back to satellite. If DSL or cable internet become available, I am likely gone.

Comments:

Review by jmhunter See Profile

• Location: Salinas,Monterey,CA
Good "Fast Service"
Bad "Pricey modems"
Overall "They deliver where others can't"

Fast service, albeit a little slow by todays broadband standards. But they deliver. The insteall people are fantastic. I've been a customer for 6 years.

I don't like their contract tech support people, at night and weekends, but otherwise a good family owned isp with very little staff turnover.

Comments:

Review by llabas See Profile

• Location: San Juan Bautista,San Benito,CA
Good "Fast speed, easy setup, good technical support"
Bad "latency bounces from 60ms to 300ms"
Overall "Good ISP, would recommend. Run my servers on it and play UT with no problems...."

Hello,

Called and ordered system and it was installed two days later.

As I am twelve miles away from the tower I ordered an external antenna.

We probably don't need it as the signal is so strong but I'm getting ready for the rainy season.

Very good ISP so far, latency bounces but I expected some bounce as it is WiMax.

Finally, high speed in our area.