iiNet page on DSLReports

Review by fairwind See Profile

Good "Absolutely the best techy support, reports downtime ahead of time"
Bad "reports downtime ahead of time not always available"
Overall "I will stay with them for the techy's, being a 76 yo who isn't all that PC savvy"

My account is internet/email only. No sync'ed devices.

I supplied my own D-Link G604T hybrid wireless modem and line filter equipment

I can check my data usage myself, online at any time
I can read their Tech Support notes and usually sort out any problems I encounter.

Having had experience with at least four other ISP's in my 14 yr experience, I can say without doubt that iiNet is far and away the best

Have been with them for about 5yrs

Comments:

Review by justin See Profile

Good "A very reliable connection bundling internet and phone"
Bad "falling behind on speed"
Overall "Naked DSL product is a good way to get voip and internet (and TV) over one device"

After a poor experience with TPG, switched to iinet several years ago and then upgraded to their Naked DSL product with 500GB per month cap including VOIP.

iinet have a good network problem status email you can subscribe to for your area or all areas and it fairly faithfully reports the reasons for poor performance (usually, to the rest of the world). The VOIP has also been reliable although to be honest we don't make use of it that much.

We also do not subscribe to their TV product, although my friends use it and recommend it.

The problem for iinet DSL is that increasingly the speed is uncompetitive unless you are lucky enough to live fairly close to the CO. My current connection is (at best) 6 to 8mbit and it is unlikely to get any faster any time soon. As the alternatives (Optus cable) are deeply unsatisfactory I don't really have any route to 21st century speeds.

member for 15.3 years, 4904 visits, last login: a few hours ago

• Location: New York,New York,NY
Good "Customer Service"
Bad "Connection Speed"
Overall "Leaving, won't be back"

Pros:
Fantastic customer service, both their tech. support and their
customer service are exemplary. It is a real pity more Australian
/service/ companies can't/won't/don't adopt their customer service model.

Cons:
When I first moved to Iinet the D/L speed was fabulous, occasionally
reaching 10Mb/s and usually averaging around the 1.5M to 6M range.
Today, under 400k, good days I see 800k.
22Mb/s... I don't think so, it has never happened and never will.

I am fully aware that 22Mb/s is the theoretical maximum D/L speed and
that the actual speed achieved is dependant on the physical line quality
to the home, the distance from the exchange, the load on each trunk, the
load on each node and the server you are visiting.

(review was emailed from domain iinet.net.au)

Comments:

Review by Micharus See Profile

Good "Fast..... very fast. Good packages and service."
Bad "Payment by Credit card only"

I've been with iiNet for over 10 years, since the dial up 56k modem days.
Service has always been great and recently I signed up for a new deal where I actually got MORE download quota for less money. How much less? Try $50(Australian dollars)

So far as I know, the other 'major' telco in Australia can't touch iiNet for value for money and service.

member for 4 years, 0 visits, last login: 4 years ago

Comments:

Review by sledgy See Profile

Good "Reliable, Responsive tech support, freezone!"
Bad "Beholden to Telstra for line works, although not really their fault."
Overall "Highly rated. The amount of content on the Freezone is very good."

Good products, the Freezone, good prices, the Freezone, good service and the Freezone.

IInet host a very large amount of content cached on there servers locally (everything from iTunes, ABC iView to GNU/Linux distributions and game updates. Because it is on their servers access to this content is fast with none of the lag associated with overseas servers.

Support has been good being able to resolve problems quickly and competently.

I am on a business account rather than a residential account, the nice bonus there is 3 usable static IP's.

Comments:

Review by shanebush See Profile

• Telco party InterAccess
Bad "when yo get streamed back to 64K..... and only getting 48K"

I pay for the highest bandwidth available, currently anything up to 6Mb because of dependancy on local telco Xchange... one of the highest monthly (home user) traffic options - 20GB. ok well now I have 10 days to go till month turnover and they have streamed me back!!!!

pissed off........

just cant use this crap

member for 5 years, 0 visits, last login: 5 years ago

Comments:

Review by Beau Basin See Profile

Good "Price, Speed, Support"
Bad "None that I could mention"
Overall "Best ISP I've ever signed up with"

I've been in this house for six years and for the first two I was on dialup as my connection in the exchange was "pair gained" (for those who aren't familiar with the term it means my phone line was "piggy-backed" with another subscriber). I then asked my ISP (iHug) to get me a single connection so I could get ADSL but they said they couldn't do it, Telstra had to. I contacted Telstra and was told they would do it if I signed a contract with Big Pond (which I was loathed to do) but I did anyway and they provisioned the exchange. Once it was done I cancelled the contract with Big Pond within the cooling off period and signed up with iiNet and have been more than satisfied ever since. I have a Naked DSL Home 5 account which gives me 40Gb Peak and 60Gb offpeak allowances each month, which is ample. I have a VOIP account which meant I could ditch Telstra as a provider (and the associated line rental and phone call costs) and my monthly 'phone bill is now always less than a dollar !! I spend most days online and I'm very satisfied with my connection speed. One thing which concerns me is the forthcoming internet censorship as the sites on the blacklist (leaked by Wikileaks) contains a lot of legitimate sites. I believe the 'net should NOT be censored period !

Comments:

Review by cailyoung See Profile

• Location: Australia
Good "Very fast, very reliable, great service."
Bad "Hamstrung, as all ISPs in Australia are, by Telstra."
Overall "Best ISP out there."

On iiNet's own DSLAM at my local exchange, which gives us 7.5Mb/s down and 1Mb/s up; great for DSL. Only big hiccup we've had is when we relocated, but to be fair most of the delay was due to iiNet waiting for Telstra to notify completion of work.

member for 11.2 years, 1295 visits, last login: 6.5 years ago

Comments:

Review by Stickywulf See Profile

• Location: Australia
Good "I researched for months and this was easily the best ISP for internet and phone."
Bad "Account MUST be paid by credit card."
Overall "Good value, reliable, fast."

The router was deliver air express the day after I ordered, pre-configured to just plug in and go. Total of 2days for telstra to activate the line.

Monthly charge includes phone line rental, phone account, broadband account and VOIP account.

Unlimited uploads. Download limit is 10GB onpeak, and 10GB offpeak. Free wireless 4port router but only because I agreed to a 24month contract. $83.56/month which includes internet and phone.

24hr phone support which was helpful when I called at night time.

Connection is very fast, advertised as up to 24Mbps down, 1Mbps up. On my phone line I actually get 16Mbps down, 1Mbps up.. I measured a 100MB file download took less than 1 min.

Downloads from the Gamershell iinet mirror do not count to the monthly download quota. So I can download all the latest game demos and previews for free without it counting to my download limit.

Router is VOIP capable. 10c untimed phone calls to any capital city in Australia with no connection fees. No charges to have a VOIP account. I save about $30/month using VOIP instead of a normal phone line.

Overall I am very impressed. I continue to recommend iinet to all my friends and workmates.

Comments:

Review by brett0 See Profile

• Location: australia
Good "fast"
Bad "only 60 gb downloads"
Overall "all good"

cost was 30 a month for phone line rental $69 for usage 20gb peak and 40 off peak. connection speed is upto 24000 down and 1023 upload. im currently connected at 20310 down and 1023 up. also had to pay about $490 which included getting telstra phone company to connect a phone line. connection fee and a belkin voip modem router with 4 port hub. there are cheaper modem options. i could have saved $80 on the initial setup by going on a 2 year contract. only my second day using it and seems to be all good