Source Cable page on DSLReports

Review by Bye internet See Profile

• Location: canada
Good "Speed was reliable, as advertised, a few times daily."
Bad "Most of time, speed is about 1.0 or 2.0 Mbps, and connection is often lost."
Overall "Goodbye, phone & cable. I can find unsecured, local wireless networks which are much faster!"

--f46d044472a30b809e04b6c7403a
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1

I signed for high-speed (8.0 Mbps) a few weeks ago with Source Cable, Hamilton, Ontario. I complained about the
slow speed and frequent loss of connection. A technician installed a new
line from the box to my modem. I'm still having some blackouts, and often
speeds of 1 or 2 Mbps. Tonight we connected a laptop directly to the
modem, and tested at speedtest.net. The results were all under 1.5, and
the lowest was 0.73 Mbps.

HOW can these companies get away with it? They advertised, "8 Mbps down",
not "as high as...". I'm thinking of giving it up, and depending on
whatever unsecured wireless networks are in my neighbourhood.

FP

--f46d044472a30b809e04b6c7403a
Content-Type: text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

I signed for high-speed (8.0 Mbps) a few weeks ago.=A0 I complained about t=
he slow speed and frequent loss of connection.=A0 A technician installed a =
new line from the box to my modem.=A0 I'm still having some blackouts, =
and often speeds of 1 or 2 Mbps.=A0 Tonight we connected a laptop directly =
to the modem, and tested as speedtest.net.=A0 The results were all under 1.5, and the lowest was 0.73 Mbps.
HOW can these companies get away with it?=A0 They advertised, "8 M=
bps down", not "as high as...".=A0 I'm thinking of givin=
g it up, and depending on whatever unsecured wireless networks are in my ne=
ighbourhood.
-- FP

--f46d044472a30b809e04b6c7403a--

Comments:

Review by vitofama See Profile

• Location: Hamilton,ON
Good "Small company Family Owned, Fast service"
Bad "Slow to respond to market/ competitors changes."
Overall "Not bad service, Good TV Line Up, No Medium level Internet Package"

Good Internet speed of 8MB but at a $45.00 price. No medium speed. Low speed is 256/256Kb/s, OK for e-mail but not much else. Bell has 2MB Service for $24.95 If you like DSL. And Its Quite Reliable.

Comments:

Review by Romeoz See Profile

• Location: Hamilton,ON
Good "No thottling for now, newsgroups, no caps, very consistent, rare downtime"
Bad "Speeds could be faster, expensive"
Overall "Very satisfied"

I've been with source/southmount cable ever since they came into the cable internet business in Hamilton back in 1998 (then southmount/quickclic). Service came with free installation + NIC and costs me $40 monthly. Installation went fine and I got a com21 modem which I eventually upgraded to a motorola surfboard sb5100.

They've had their ups and downs and I remember them capping speed from 3/512 down to 1.5/256 for no damn reason, but over the years they have improved alot. I've also had some serious slow downs and bad packet loss during 2002-2005 due to congestion but they fixed it eventually (took a long time) and they also upgraded their speeds thanks to competiton from bell and are now up to 8mbs/800kps which is pretty good though it could be faster.

So far they do not throttle torrents (fingers crossed) but they did test it out in 2007-08. They are also truly unlimited and have free newsgroups though usenet.

I never had any major issues or outages with them and they always let you know in advance by e-mail if they're gonna have one. I definitely recommend it to anyone though it is expensive (costs $45.99+tax monthly unless you bundle)

Personally I'm glad source services my area as both cogeco and bell have caps and throttling.

Question is how long until source does the exact same thing..

Comments:

Review by yafoo33us See Profile

Good "Fast speed, reliable support"
Bad ".....cheesy name"
Overall "Why didnt I see the light from bell before?"

Must say was hesitant to completely overhaul everything (Internet, Phone, TV) I had Bell for all 3 and while I must say nothing was broken about it, I wasnt getting what I should for my money.

So after a door-to-door salesman from Source Cable (they call their internet quickclic) happened upon my doorstep I asked him a bunch of questions and made an appointment for him to come to my house and get the particulars.

He actually came and sat down and explained all prices, and we shook hands on a deal.

The soonest they could come to install was around 6 days, they came put in new cable lines to hook up the internet and phone, its a motorola modem...installation was free, and first 3 months of service (for digital Cable, phone AND internet) were free!!

Im getting steady 5-6 mb download and 500-700k upload speeds (they advertise 6mb/512k up/down)....this is faster than bell and cheaper than bell.
Getting transfer rates around 400k which is almost 4x faster than with Bell.

Had to talk to customer service about setting up my email and account info and first thing I noticed was they were talking to me and not reading off some screen script. They actually cared about the problems and were happy to help. This was my one big beef with bell.

Overall am very happy. having some issues with the digital phone, and had to change phone #'s (but Ive kept the basic bell line so still have old phone #) but no problems with the internet.

I would have done this sooner but they are fairly new at getting into the digital internet game and wanted to wait a bit for them to work out their kinks, but its a shame I didnt do this sooner.

About $100 / month for all 3 digital cable, phone and internet, with first 3 months free.