MNSi page on DSLReports

Review by mintmale1 See Profile

• Location: Point Edward,ON
Good "Been around for a few years"
Bad "A bit expensive $45.00 at 3.5 mbps tops but mostly slower"
Overall "Slow and they just gave me a reason to star shopping for something better!"

MNSI in Windsor has been my DSL service provider that I've had for so many years I can't remember. I signed up when they were just starting up in Sarnia.

Recently my service was cut off for over a day. I called the Sarnia office but couldn't get through. I made some long distance phone calls to their Windsor office, costing a dollar each time. The last time I called, I asked if I was going to get reimbursed for the lost day? The person said yes but I would have to call their customer service.

The next day I called MNSI asking them to get reimbursed for my lost day.

The Service person had to talk to someone higher up and came back to tell me they would pay for the three phone calls if I send them a copy of the bill, but not for the lost day.

I asked to talk to his boss to explain that not only did I lose a days service but had to use my car, gas and time to cross town to use someone's internet to complete a business transaction I was in the middle of when they went down.

I was told I couldn't, so I asked for someone higher up to talked to. He told me there was no one higher up, that its a privately owned business, that he was the owner and won't talking to me. I said it figures.

I'm thinking to myself that this owner doesn't have the balls to face a customer, or doesn't care and customer loyalty meant nothing to him. If I pay for service for a month and you short me a day, your stealing from me. Windsor's MNSI owner is stealing from me and anyone else that got cut off that day. Not a smart way to do business I would think, because it might come back on him in the end. So I'm now looking and found I can get 10mbps and faster for the same price or cheaper. It pays to shop.

Comments:
HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet

join:2005-05-29
Windsor, ON

Response

Hi,

I'm sorry you had a bad experience. Can you please PM me your userid or service phone number so I can look up your records to see what went wrong?

Thanks
MNSi Internet - »www.mnsi.net

Review by Tekuzo See Profile

• Location: Windsor,ON
Good "Fiber to the House with great speeds and low latency. No install fee."
Bad "A little bit expensive"
Overall "Fiber in Windsor Ontario"

Tuesday July 15

I called MNSi to see if Fiber was finally available in my area. Previously I had been using adsl and I was getting 3.5mbps down and 0.6mbps up.

The CSR at MNSi told me that she believed that the fiber service was available in my area, but that somebody would need to come buy to survey the location to be sure.

Wednesday July 16

A MNSi Tech came to my house and told me that the full fiber service was available in my area. Explained to me that if I wanted to go ahead with setting up service that the install could begin the next day. First a fiber line would need to be run from the node to my house, once the Outside line was installed billing would contact me and I could pick the package that I wanted. MNSi had speeds of up to 50mbps down and 50mbps up, however that package was over $100 and I couldn't afford it.

Thursday July 17

The MNSi installers came to run the fiber line from the node to my house. They ran the fiber line to the side of my house and installed a box on site to store the extra fiber line that was coiled up. While the line was being installed customer service called me to ask what package I want. They ran over the prices with me and I picked the 25/25 package with unlimited usage, and I chose to not get phone service but that was also an option. I asked if there is a charge for the ONT rental or an install charge. I was informed that the ONT rental is included in the advertised price and there is no install charge. I set up an appointment for the next day to install the service, I was told that the tech would be at my house between 10:00am and 12:00pm to install the service.

The techs informed me that they noticed the fiber line that they were installing was broken so they had to leave and get a new cable and come back. I thought that this would have been a serious day but they were back within 2 hours to finish the install.

Friday July 18

The tech shows up at 10:30 to finish the install. They drill a hole to get the fiber line inside the house, they patch up the hole and clean up. The tech mounted the ONT and got all of the service set up. I change the settings in my router, the tech waits until I run a speed test to make sure im getting the right speeds. After everything is set up he packs up his gear and went on his way.

Ordered to fully installed in 3 days.

Comments:

Review by deyraud See Profile

• Location: Ottawa,ON
Good "Excellent staff, service, uptime and speed."
Bad "Unless you are in Windsor, the line is leased from Bell. Limit 4Mb/s service in Belll-leased areas."
Overall "Excellent ISP. I recommend them if available in your area code."

I was a loyal MNSi customer for years, starting with dialup years ago.

When I finally moved into Windsor from the county, I upgraded my dialup account to DSL. MNSi's staff was excellent. I picked up my modem at the office, since I lived only a few blocks away.

Installation was smooth and I was up and running in no time. After about a year, I moved to Ottawa. I was very excited that I could keep my services with MNSi. The unfortunate part is that unlike in Windsor where they have equipment installed in all the CO(s) they lease wholesale DSL from Bell in order to service other areas.

When I moved to Ottawa, I was out of service for approx 2 weeks. However, this was not MNSi's fault but Bell's. They failed to activate DSL on the line at move-time. I suspect the delay was a "punishment" from Bell for not using their DSL offerings, despite the lease.

Regardless of the Bell issue, I have always received full-speed access from MNSi, if I was ever unsure of my DSL performance a quick call to MNSi's toll-free number and a chat with the tech would result in a re-profiling of my line.

6mos after my move to Ottawa I moved to another location within Ottawa. The switchover was smooth and seamless.

My family still lives in Essex County. I signed my parents up with MNSi (50hrs dialup for $10/month) so we could communicate via email. Again, their service is top-notch and we've never had any issues.

I am moving to Primus because I can get phone service with more features and supposedly faster DSL and NA-wide long distance for roughly the same amount I am paying for basic Bell phone + MNSi + JustDial.ca. After reading some of the Primus reports for my area, I'm a bit worried. The services switches over 04/07/09. I will give the service 30 days and then write a report on it.

FYI, MNSi uses a Zhone DSL modem. (At least that is what they gave me at the time.) Model: 6211-13-200 ADSL2+ BRIDGE/ROUTER

I am sad to be leaving MNSi, but if Primus cannot provide the 7Mb performance they promised, I will be back with MNSi just as soon as I can get out of the 1yr contract, or I might eat the $113 (after tax) early cancellation fee. Who knows?

Edit 1: »/linequality/nil/2507550
Edit 2: »/im/69634851/5085.png
           When I download from Usenet I can hit a full 4Mb/s so,

Update: 01/13/2010 - I'm switching from Primus to TekSavvy. Primus has capacity issues, its fairly clear considering that the service seems slower at night than in the morning and completely unusable on Sunday evenings. I hope TekSavvy works out. I switched everything -- Phone/DSL/LD to them and it all happens on the 26th.

Comments:

Review by JohnTIZ See Profile

• Location: Windsor,ON
Good "Less expensive than cable internet, no throttling, no bandwidth caps, best technical and customer support"
Bad "slower than cable internet, quibble:no admin. panel to add/change extra emails addresses"
Overall "better over-all value than cable internet, all considered"

I first started with Cogeco in the summer of 2000 and have enjoyed fairly reliable service with very few blips over the years. As file sharing became more popular and bandwidth became more of a concern, Cogeco seemed to keep pace by beefing up the speeds. At the very end I was clocking 14.3meg consistently.

So why switch?? Three reasons:

1/ Bandwidth caps. No matter how fast Cogeco is, the bandwidth cap equates to selling someone a Corvette then telling them they can only drive around the neighborhood. Put simply, you can't USE it. Until this past summer Cogeco did not enforce its bandwidth caps so I lived with it just fine.

2/ Torrent throttling. I didn't believe it. Always thought it was just a case of poorly seeded torrents, or maybe I wasn't setting up port forwarding correctly, or whatever. I've since found out Cogeco really was throttling torrents. Which is very aggravating.

3/ Price. Cogeco has been slowly pushing up their prices on TV and internet services to the point where our "Digital Select All + High Speed Internet" was about $155 a month taxes included. Insane. If you don't bundle, the price for individual services is even higher (ie. $54.95 for internet).

But the bandwidth cap of 60 gig was the straw that really broke the camel's back. After paying almost $2,000 a year to Cogeco for TV and internet, I felt I was paying enough for their services. The $1.50 per GB extra charge for bandwidth after the 60 gig cap was exhausted was something I was unwilling to accept. I can't change their "TOS" (Terms of Service) but I can say NO to their service!

So on to the switch.

Why switch to MNSi?

1/ No bandwidth caps. Period. MNSi doesn't police or limit your internet usage.

2/ Price. $39.95 vs $54.95 (Cogeco). Granted Cogeco has a package for $39.95 but the bandwidth cap is an even more restrictive 30 gig!

3/ No throttling. UPDATE: Now that I've been with MNSi for three months there is a clear improvement in torrent performance. Even though I had a 14 meg connection with Cogeco I am now getting consistently higher torrent speeds with my 5 meg DSL sync with MNSi. Well seeding torrents are now moving along nicely at well over 500kbps instead of struggling between 5-75). The proof is in the pudding.

4/ Locally owned/operated. This may not bode well with some but in the last couple years I've been changing my spending habits where possible to support local businesses. Windsor has suffered enough lately.

5/ Service. MNSi does not farm out its service work. The DSL tech. who did my install was highly trained and competent and stayed as long as it took to do the job right.

6/ Support. Their customer call centre is in-house, in Windsor, staffed by actual I.T. professionals, not a contract call centre manned by drones with flowcharts.

and

7/ Since joining I have been very happy with the performance of their inclusive USENET service, which I believe is through Newsguy. Very fast. Good completion and retention. (My only complaint which I've made known to MNSi is the 1 GIG per day cap here. Even that is a minor quibble as that still allows for 30gig per month in USENET downloads.)

and P.P.S.

8/ The 200 minutes of free LDX calling was an unexpected but welcome bonus. I usually run about $10-20 in monthly LDX charges with Bell. Now I get none.

Overall you can categorize me under "HAPPY CAMPERS" as far as MNSi is concerned.

Comments:

Review by neochu See Profile

• Location: Windsor,ON
Good "Maxmized speeds, efficient and reliable, no DPI filter, LOTS OF Bandwidth"
Bad "A little bit more costly than others requires 1st month to be pre-paid"
Overall "Excellent choice in its area for heavy bandwidth use and "new media" consumers"

I was having speed and reliability issues with my internet for a number of years with Bell Sympatico pre-filtering days.

At the recommendation of another contact I registered and set myself up with MNSi and went through the process of getting hooked up. I have always known about them for the longest time but at that point I had not thought about ordering my internet service from them until It was recommended to me

Within 2-3 weeks of the paperwork and quick in office meeting I had to wait a week to finalize the contract then pre-pay for my first month. Because you prepay a month ahead MNSi requires 30 days notice to cancel. I also set up pre-payment through my bank account (or credit card). Given that they set up their billing system like most business and web commerce providers billing is efficient and simplified.

I signed up for the "Residential High Speed" Service which is $32.99 a month for the first 6 months then 39.99 a month on from that. I also rent a modem from them which raises my end cost to $42.11 per month accordingly. My synch speeds are 5 megabit up and 1 megabit down and I max out frequently with these speeds. Bandwidth is virtually unlimited which is a rare thing with internet in Canada today. While this isn't as cheap as others are the speed and bandwidth one is able to consume is well worth this price for DSL.

They also provide you with 20 megs on your own ISP sub domain with the ability to purchase more should you wish and they offer other web hosting services.

They run their own ADSL2 equipment whereas others use only ADSL equipment and thus they do not filter traffic in any way. The result for people like me on the edge of DSL territory here in Windsor is almost twice the speed for LESS than the cost of other major DSL providers at the 5 meg tier. I am only offered up to 2.3 by the other providers whereas on the same lines MNSi can give me nearly 5.

Tech support is fast efficient and local and are quickly able to solve problems like modem replacement and line issues and their billing and customer service departments are readily available and easy to listen to. They will also come to your residence for assistance if it is so required for technical issues without a charge.

I Would recommend this ISP to anyone who can obtain their service and continue to do so whenever the discussions come up. The difference in service I experienced was almost night and day from almost day one.

Comments:

Review by Sheesh See Profile

• Location: Windsor,ON
Good "Great service and tech support"
Overall "Excellent choice in this area"

Great service. Haven't had any down time. I called about my speed and they sent a tech out to my house to troubleshoot the problem. With radio contact with the main network server, he found that the modem was at fault and exchanged for a new one right away.

I also get 1000 minutes of long distance with this package. Excellent deal if you ask me. I have had single calls that were much more than the monthly fee for this. The DSL service is $39.95 per month with an additional and optional $5.00 per month for the 1000 minutes.

I had a modem go bad. Talked with tech support. They sent someone to my house the next day and promptly exchanged the modem for me. They did further tests on the phone line to see what it could handle for future speeds.

member for 13.6 years, 2875 visits, last login: 284 days ago

Comments:

Review by vidalhart See Profile

• Location: Wyoming,ON
Good "web hosting is free"
Bad "none"
Overall "way better then bell and a lot cheaper for a buisness .. plus free email and web hosting"

good speed and good price