Comporium page on DSLReports

Review by rflinkup See Profile

Good "FAST!!!"
Bad "GIG PON - Not a true 1 GIG switched connection."
Overall "Fastest that I have seen"

Ordered ZipStream and it stands up to its name. It is certainly faster that most sites that we visit. Its nice to be on the leading edge of the next generation of the internet,

Comments:

Review by pogoSC See Profile

• Location: Fort Mill,York,SC
Good "Always fast, consistent. "
Bad "Nothing"
Overall "If you can get Comporium, get it."

==Update 4/23/2014==
After one and a half years, everything is still great! Our speeds hover at 12 Mbps down and 1.5 Mbps up, with occasional spikes of a higher speed. The data cap is 200 GB down and 110 GB up, which is good enough for what I do.

We recently switched to their Double Play bundle for $80/month. This includes TV and Internet. The TV portion is their Digital Basic Plus, which includes truTV, A&E, and other similar channels, like a standard package with another provider. The Internet portion is the same speed as I already had (12x1.5.)

The equipment is a Scientific Atlanta 4250C, which is SD only. On Demand is included, which is an added plus. For other TVs that you don't want to pay an additional box fee for, their entire Digital Basic Plus lineup is available through ClearQAM, NO CABLECARD NEEDED! In addition, they include HD locals for free, which are WBTV, WSOC, WCNC, WJZY, WCCB, WMYT, WNSC, and WAXN.

Also, there has only been one outage, lasting only a few hours. Once that was fixed, everything has been smooth sailing since.

SPEEDTEST - »www.speedtest.net/iphone/829895229.png

==Update 7/15/2013==
Speeds were upgraded to 12 Mbps down and 1.5 Mbps up. Still consistent, always subscribed speed or above.
Speed Test - »www.speedtest.net/my-result/2716697985

==Update 12/3/2012==
Our internet service is still running strong. Speed test results are coming back with an average of 2 to 3 Mbit/s extra on top of our package rate. It helps out at night with our Netflix and Hulu viewing. We HAVE NOT had ANY downtime since we subscribed to the service.

==Original September 2012==
We ordered internet service from Comporium on 9/21, and we were hooked-up and ready to go on 9/25.

We subscribe to the 10x1 package, which is their lowest tier. On every speed test, we get speeds that are higher than our package rate, hovering around 11, but can spike to as high as 16 megabits. There is a cap of 200x110 GB, which is fair, and high enough to watch Netflix every day of the week.

We were provided with an Arris DG860A Cable modem, which has wireless A/B/G/N capabilities, and suits our needs very well so far.

The installation took around 20 minutes, which is very fast, at least to me.

There is nothing bad about it at all. Everything is good about it.

Comments:

Review by cissjbk See Profile

• Location: West Columbia,Lexington,SC
Good "Speed, Price, is right for Small Business"
Bad "Phone Cutover and Order Process Needs Streamlining"
Overall "Good Service for an Affordable Price"

This review is for Comporium's Fiber Service -- the only category I saw for Comporium was Comporium (DSL):

Our Company (IT related business) needed to move onto something with higher bandwidth and higher reliability (previously were on T1 with voice and data). Another vendor (who we have done a lot of business with on customer's behalf with) had a fiber ring running right in front of our new office space (this was not a backbone ring, this is a ring they do attach customers to), but they refused to install the service into our multi-tenant office building. Noted the building next door had some telco activity going on, found that Comporium was running a fiber into their building (I didn't even know they had service here). Long Story Short, we called them, and for quite a bit less (to be fair to the other vendor, the Comporium service we purchased was not a connection to a ring, rather, it was a direct connection to a "hub" up the road, which was attached to the ring, which is cheaper than attaching a business directly to a ring, equipment and fiber cost is lower), we got 20Mb/s Up and Down, and 6 POTS trunks with unlimited LD.

Only a few hitches; apparently, for the static IPs we needed, and to get some PTR records established, Comporium has to use another vendor to handle that, which added time and delay to getting some information I needed before cutting over. The other catch is that the phone number porting went rather badly; I"m used to ports taking about an hour --- well, the old vendor gave up the numbers to Comporium quickly enough, but internal issues with the way they handled that particular exchange (which should / could have been resolved well in advance of the cut) caused the cut to take almost all day (started at 9:00AM, ended at 4:30PM). They did get it done, though.

All in all, I'd recommend the service, so far it's working well for us.

--Update 11/4/2013:

So far so good... only one significant outage that lasted about 6 hours over the past couple of years (I believe a critical piece of equipment died and they had to truck in a replacement component). We've converted 2 other customers in our office building over to them from TW Cable (upload speed was an issue with TW Cable)... fairly smooth conversions. We also switched from Verizon to them for Cell Phones (they resell AT&T), saved quite a bit of money, and the service works well.

Comments:

Review by huggybear_69 See Profile

• Location: Lancaster,Lancaster,SC
Overall "not bad, but I need FIBRE desperately for my customer right in town.."

I need fibre desperately in lancaster for a small business that has 3 offices.. I got 15mbs down and 1mbs upload link and I really need a 15/15 up/down minimum to run our server on terminal services remotely.. I find it strange, that here we are, right in town, in the COUNTY seat, and we don't have truly high-speed internet for our business needs.. right up the road, in charlotte, I can get what I need, but not here... and people wonder why business's don't want to move here.. internet access and speeds are becoming more and more important, and I have actually had one business move OUT of the county because of the lack of speed on their internet access..

please note, comporium has sole franchise rights to our area, due to some rather archaic rules set down by the fcc.. comporium has managed to remain considered a 'mom and pop' small provider due to some loopholes that allows them to beat the 50,000 subscriber limits set forth by the fcc to remain a small provider, thus having no competition.

Comments:

davoice

join:2000-08-12
Saxapahaw, NC

FTTH is only in new builds

I live in one of the Comporium FTTH communities. Remember that the residential FTTH product is only offered in new build communities. Comporium has NO immediate (or near term) plans to rip and replace the cable and DSL networks.

You CAN get their business metro ethernet product. They'll deliver it anywhere in their territory. It's a dedicated product and priced accordingly. (I.e. You won't be paying $75. Add at least one zero.) Just call the business office and request a quote for it.

So don't complain that you can't get fiber for your business. You can. What you can't get is residential fiber for your business at residential prices.

davoice

join:2000-08-12
Saxapahaw, NC

PS...

Oh and PS... Time Warner's cable product can't deliver what you're asking for either. They're limited to 50x5mbps. If you want their metro ethernet product, just like Comporium, you can add at least a zero or two to the residential price in order to get that dedicated business fiber product.

cissjbk

join:2010-11-17
Irmo, SC
·Comporium

Just another opinion...

In general, fiber access is only affordable when you're near the loop, or part of some massive build-out... Here in Columbia / Lexington, we have several fiber providers running past our front door (literally) but Comporium was the only one willing to connect us up (the others wanted 1000$$ to connect us to the ring) inexpensively... and as another poster said, you should expect to pay way more than a basic DSL or cable connection for such a business class service.

Unfortunately, it will be a while before small-town America has the mass availability and choice that you desire, if ever... we're in a fairly industrial area and we had a hard time

Review by ritzy57 See Profile

• Location: Fort Mill,York,SC
Good "Fast set up, consistant speed, great support help, comparible pricing"
Bad "none, so far"
Overall "I would recommend this company to anybody"

Coming from South Florida a year ago, and comparing Comporium to Adelphia,......there IS no comparison!
One person came to install our phones, local and long distance, our cable TV, and We got the package deal, and, with taxes we spend about $160.00 per month, for everything. That includes phone, local and long distance, cable TV plus, and pkg. #1, 5Mbps down and 512kbps up, modem rental, and a signal booster for all our TV's (They DO offer faster cable internet packages, too)all the lines into all the rooms, AND cable internet, three days after putting in the order. They hooked up a Terayon TJ716X cable modem.

Called for support a couple of days later, and, after getting through to a live perso
n, right away, I was talked through hooking up our router, to both of our computers!
(Adelphia would have never done that) Their customer service is awesome!!
We have never lost connection, I can depend on their E-mail, and we are VERY satisfied with Comporium!
Oct. 23, 2009
Well, here we are, a couple of years later, still in Fort Mill, SC, and this week, moved to another residence in the same town.
This past Monday, I went to my local office, to have all my services moved to our new address. Phone service, four TV's hooked up to cable, and, of course, cable internet service. They asked me when I would like to have this done, and I replied, "This coming Thursday." They said someone would be there between 8-noon.
Yesterday morning, two men were here to install everything, at 9:30AM. They were everywhere, even under the house! But always wearing the booties whenever they stepped into our house. We have all 4 phones connected, 4 televisions connected, and of course, cable internet. It was done very quickly, by two very nice young men.
After three years in this town, I was not surprised at their wonderful service.
Comporium, you ROCK!!!
July 5, 2010
Still with Comporium. Still happy with their service. Simple as that.

March 27, 2012

Well, hubby and I decided it was time to get newer computers. Funny thing though, we didn't seem to be getting much better speed than we got from the old ones!
Then I thought perhaps we might need to get a new router! It is pretty old. I even called Linksys to find out about it and got some ideas about what would work.
Then I thought I might just try running a speed test, here at DSLReports, WITHOUT the router,... just to make sure that was indeed the problem.
Called Comporium to find out what the connection speed was, that I was paying for. Then, when I tried to run the speed test, I couldn't even load up the page!
Called Comporium back, talked to a tech right away, he walked me through some tests, all to no avail. He said somebody would be over this afternoon, and sure enough,... within a half hour!!! somebody was at our door.
It was a couple of small things, including their modem, which they replaced with a ARRIS modem/router!! Don't need to go out and buy one now! My speed test is literally TWICE as fast as when we had the old computers, using the old router!!
After being with Comporium these past six years, this girl's getting pretty used to their excellent service!
Lord help us if we ever move from here!

Comments:

Review by rmarkc See Profile

• Location: Clover,York,SC
Good "speed/price good versus AT&T"
Bad "I get no service"
Overall "catch 22 service"

They offer no service for my home but, oddly enough, Time-Warner offers no service to my home because Comporium has service for my area.

I desperately want to move from AT&T but Comporium has my area blocked out from other providers and won't offer me service on their network.

Comments:

Review by tristanx See Profile

• Location: Fort Mill,York,SC
Bad "No choice but Comporium or Satellite. Down 15-20% of the time."
Overall "If I had another viable option, I would not give comporium my money."

I have spent the last 3 months dealing with recurring outages. Approximately 2-3 days of every week the connection to the internet is either so slow as to almost be unusable, or down completely. Next to some of the dialup isp's I dealt with in older days, this is hands down the very worst ISP i have ever dealt with.

Comments:

Review by davoice See Profile

• Location: Fort Mill,York,SC
Good "DSL speed is slightly over provisioned, when you get someone on the phone they're nice"
Bad "$$$, 7 day installation interval on everything, cable modems and FTTH not overprovisioned, less than steller internet peering"
Overall "If you live in their area, you probably have no other choice."

UPDATE: Jan 2011

Late last year I moved into a new house, also in Comporium territory. The new house was in a new build area and is served by their fiber-to-the-home product. Differences between their fiber product and the DSL and cable products are HUGE. I get 15mbps x 15mbps for the same price DSL and cable modem customers pay for 11mbps x 1mbps. That's a much better value to say the least. Thankfully they reduced the prices on the upper tier packages. I used to pay $99/mo. I now pay $75.

»www.comporium.com/29715/resident···d-plans/

I haven't had any major problems with their service. Their peering leaves something to be desired sometimes. They rely pretty heavily on their connections from Level3 now and of course those have all the pros and cons of Level3's own peering.

On the fiber connections, they are slightly over provisioned. I've gotten as high as 22mbps down when the network isn't busy. They use Sandvine for rate limiting connections on all types of connections. And yes, sometimes that causes weird things on the network.

Note they DO have explicitly stated bandwidth caps and they did recently increase their bandwidth caps slightly. Caps are manually enforced by human intervention. I'm on the 15x15mbps fiber product so I get 300GB download and 300GB upload. I average about 120GB down and 80GB up. Nice that they give symmetrical caps for symmetrical products. The network techs admit that I'm one of the top 20 users on the network. One of the businesses I support in the area is one of the top 5 business users (they're on dedicated fiber).

Bandwidth Caps:
»www.comporium.com/uploads/legal/···mits.htm

Packages:
»www.comporium.com/29715/resident···d-plans/

- - - - -

I now have 2 Comporium connections. 1 DSL and 1 cable modem. Both subscribed at 9x1mbps for $99/mo.

You cannot order online. You cannot prequal service online. You must call in or go by one of their retail locations.

Interestingly enough, depending on where you live in Comporium territory you could have DSL, cable modem or fiber. They offer phone service over copper and fiber. And cable service over coax and fiber. Availability depends on location.

The FTTH product is an extension of their cable network and should be thought of as a cable modem. They use an exterior ONU and run ethernet inside from the ONU.

Interestingly enough, my DSL connection is slightly overprovisioned and delivers ~9.1x1.1mbps. My cable modem rarely reaches above 8.9x0.9mbps and is clearly not overprovisioned.

When they installed the cable modem, initially they had the wrong profile attached to it in their CMTS and I was only getting 5mbpsx512kbps. If I hadn't checked the speed and called them, they would have never known. (Since their CMTS is not connected in any automated fashion to their ordering and billing system.)

Comporium is the classic mom and pop monopoly phone company. Most of the time they do try. But occasionally you get a whiff of the "we know we're the only choice" attitude.

They *do* have caps on *all* of their internet packages:
»www.comporium.com/uploads/legal/···mits.htm

My $99/mo packages give only 130GB downstream and 70GB upstream allotments.

They do NOT have a portal or application where you can check your usage in real-time.

Peering is another Comporium weakness. For the longest time they only had *1* connection to the internet - via Spirit Telecom (used to be known as InfoAve Internet), of which Comporium, along with quite a few other independent phone companies in SC, is part owner. InfoAve's main connection to the internet is Cogent. (Supposedly they have connections to Time Warmer Telecom and Hurricane Electric.) InfoAve/Spirit uses Sandvine for bandwidth control. It is assumed that Comporium does also.

Recently (in that last 3 months) Comporium picked up a connection from Level3 in Charlotte to provide redundant internet routing. The catalyst for that was a series of connection failures and outages at Spirit over the past year. Most internet routes tend to preference the Level3 connection in all the traceroutes I've done. Most Charlotte Level3 traffic goes through Atlanta to get to the world - this causes some less than optimal routing from time to time. (Like going from CLT -> ATL -> DCA to get to XO in DFW.)

You can see Comporium's ASN peers here:
»www.fixedorbit.com/AS/14/AS14615.htm

And their peer map here:
»www.robtex.com/as/as14615.html

Can you do worse? Certainly. Can you do better? Certainly.

For Fort Mill/Regent Park residents there is hope of competition keeping Comporium honest. Time Warner Cable has begun to overbuild into new and existing housing developments in Fort Mill, starting from the NC border areas near the back Regent Park.

}Davoice

Comments:

Review by tjones17 See Profile

• Location: Rock Hill,York,SC
Bad "the only show in town"

The only show in town

Comments:

Review by Michael162 See Profile

• Location: Clover,York,SC
Good "Rock Solid ISP"
Bad "None Really"
Overall "Great ISP"

For a local ISP I can not complain, especially when many of my friends in surrounding areas are on some of the BIG NAMED ISP's. My advertised speed is 5000 and 512, I am consistently in the 4600 and 490 range. I have VOIP and my QOS is always rock solid in the 90+ range.
**UPDATE**
Way to go Comporium

09/01/07 STILL extremely happy with them

06/28/08 -- STILL extremely happy with them

10/01/08 -- Well after several months of issues with dropping packets, modem loosing IP etc etc .. neumerous trouble tickets (where I pointed out the issue in the hop within their network) I gave up on them went to ATT DSL Extrememe. Faster, cheaper and so far doing well

member for 11.9 years, 586 visits, last login: 2.7 years ago