Acanac page on DSLReports

Review by Fergless See Profile

• Location: Toronto,ON
Good "Good DSL Support, Solid Community Forums, Easy to communicate with."
Bad "Voip Support could be better."
Overall "7 years smooth Sailin'"

I have had a few little problems that turned out to be simply reboot modem and router.
I have called DSL support on occasion and the folks there were very helpful and true to their word.
I'm synched at 5056 and 800
I recently purchased a 2Wire 2700HG and it works flawlessly with their service.
Like I said best bang for the buck.
Keep up the good work Acanac.

UPDATE:
Well it's a little over a year since my last review and here's an update.
Still pretty much the same as far as Service and Support goes.
I have their Voip service as well and it works great.
The Free Online PC and Bitwise Tunnelier have solved the Bell throttling of p2p clients.
Acanac are testing equipment at the Bell Adelaide CO so we may not need to worry about throttling, and perhaps have ADSL2+ in the near future.

Still Best Bang for the Buck

Tks

UPDATE:
Just wanted to add, besides everything being stellar with Acanac, we're getting a second 10 Gig connection with a non-Cogent provider and peering through Torix in a few weeks. The SSH servers a being upgraded in a different configuration.

Looks like we'll have ASDL2 pretty soon and maybe even more after that.

Always something new and innovative going on at Acanac.

UPDATE: March 28-2010
ADSL2 never happened thanks to Ma Bell......another story.

Still rolling along smoothly, I just got another Dry Loop for MLPPP which is in testing at the moment. The Tunnel works like a charm for torrents.
I got the new Canaca Online PC 20Mbp/20Mbp...Amazing.

Almost forgot to mention The Zazeen IPTV is kick a$$

A few hiccups here and there, but still the best bang for the buck.

member for 6.6 years, 3113 visits, last login: a few minutes ago

Comments:

Review by darknestgirl See Profile

• Location: Montreal,QC
Good "Good service overall(at least in my case)"
Bad "never had to use support so can't really find anything bad "

·Videotron
2007

I did consider tecksavvy for dsl company but after having to many problem when i was with them before i decide to go with Acanac.

I have the 5mbps down and 800 kbps dsl internet.

I order their service on the internet, receive the modem 2 days after the order and got activate 30 days after the order because of some problem on Bell ends.

They send me the aztech modem by fedex, all i had to do is plug it into my computer.

you probably saw me a lot here and on other dslr forum cause i love to help people and give my honest opinion on other post without sounding harsh or respectful. Now back at my topic

I've been with Acanac for the last 6 month except for some downtime that any other dsl company would have or had the past six month, i'm glad to say i'm very satisfied with the service, i didn't had any problem with it except of course problem from Bell side like anyone else in Acanac had(not showing up, putting people on the wrong profile, etc) I would recommend it to anyone who ask for a dsl company. I particularly love the fact that they have their own forum(community forum) where anyone new and future customer can come and expose their problem. There's always someone there ready to help even if some of the customer there are complaining but we always make sure that their problem was taking care of and i'm glad to say that most of them were resolve in no time.

So, please before you do complain, you should always exposed your problem to see if anyone can help you with it. WE often see people come here and complain after only one week without exposing their problem first to see if anyone can help them resolve it.

So to anyone who are considering to get acanac service don't hesitate to ask question here or on the community forum, we will be more than happy to answer them and to help if you have any problem with the service or your order.

Have a nice day

UPDATE

It's been almost a year now(august 8 ) still very please with the service, no problem except for the throttling on Bell part but theirs always a way to bypass that with the tunnelier, but don't forget that dsl is all about distance and wiring condition. So if your are not too far from the CO you should consider Acanac for the internet(can't say for the VOIP since i don't have it)

UPDATE

now i'm back for another year (monthly paiement 39.95) amazing service just receive a call from someone at the billing department to make sure i did receive the invoice so next update in 6 month

UPDATE 26-05-2013

I'm back with them after 2 year with videotron, i took month to month first to see what kind of speed i will get i got a little more than 25Mbps and around 9.62Mbps(vdsl 25/10 Mbps) i didn't review the tech support since i didn't have to call or contact them for any major problem other than a misunderstanding on my part about the installation process. i had to email billing twice and everything got resolve quickly.

»www.speedtest.net/result/2733711118.png

UPDATE 07/07/2013 after almost 2 month every thing still work the only problem is when i use p2p with any software(utorrent vuze bittorrent) my connection is disconnecting if i upload at more than 200Ko/s and my upload speed did decrease from 9.66Mbps to 7,43 Mbps, i try everything after contacting support(didn't have any problem with them, they did everything they could to help me ) nothing work but I'm not the only one, even Bell customer experience disconnection with P2P so i have to ask support to decrease my upload profile but i decide not too, i will change it for cable instead which is more reliable than vdsl or dsl.

»www.speedtest.net/result/2821306874.png

(different server but same distance 50Mi)

UPDATE 03/08/2013: Cable order done today, i will update my review when it's fully activate.

UPDATE 17/08/2013: Cable install and no major problem so far, get the speed advertise, the activation take a little bit more longer than vdsl, around 10 to 15 days before the tech can come(videotron in my case) Will update my review in a month.

UPDATE 12/09/2013: Since my cable connection is working great with no one single disconnection, i request them to cancel my vdsl account, they did answer my email really quick and asked me why i was cancelling, i told them about my cable connection i have with them is working great . I'm still waiting to get the vdsl connection cancelled after a week, so i ask them again to see what's going on with my last request but no answer.

UPDATE 15/09/2013: Still no answer from billing so far, can't tell if my request was fulfill or not.

UPDATE 16/09/2013: Finally got an answer from billing with the help of fergless, everything was taking care of.

UPDATE 11/01/2014: After being month to month for at least 4 month without any problem or speed change, i finally change it for yearly term. Will update the review if there's any change with my service.

UPDATE 02/07/2014: Been almost a full year now and no major problem. I did experience some dns problem in June (strangely Facebook always work when dns problem happen, couldn't get to any other website) but didn't last too long, probably just 5 minute in a day. Unless i get major problem until the end of this year i will definitively stay for another year.

UPDATE: 18/10/2014: The years is almost over and other than dns problem last month who was resolve after a 2 days, I never had any major issue so i will definitively renew for another years.

member for 6.3 years, 471 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Fergless

Ticket #

Post your ticket # and I'll check.
darknestgirl

join:2008-08-11
Montreal, QC

Re: Ticket #

Look at your im. You should have it.

Re: Ticket #

Thank you, you should have a reply to your ticket, Auto Renew has been turned off.

darknestgirl

join:2008-08-11
Montreal, QC

Thanks, just receive it.

Lew

@ccra-adrc.gc.ca

Service problem

With Acanac, you need to note that they do not have phone support in the weekend and midnight.

Re: Service problem

said by Lew :

darknestgirl is well aware of that, she has been a customer for years off and on and has been very helpful on Acanac's Community Forum.

Review by freakatola See Profile

• Location: Canada
  • Cost Contract price not specified. (12 month contract)
Good "The price was right..."
Bad "Price increases without warning, Bill first ask questions later... if you can get a hold of them."
Overall "Not worth the headache. "

*** IT IS VERY IMPORTANT THAT YOU SKIM OVER THE "INSTALL" REVIEWS AND FOCUS ON ANY REVIEWS THAT DEAL WITH HAVING TO CALL SUPPORT, OR CUSTOMER SERVICE, OR BILLING. SINCE ALL THIS COMPANY HAS TO DO FOR AN INSTALL IS SHIP YOU A MODEM, AND DISPATCH ANOTHER COMPANY TO DO THE ACTUAL INSTALL AND SETUP (sure problems can arise there, but that's just bad communication between this company and the installers.. just like their bad communication with customers) ***

Loyal customer for 3 years, knowing ahead of time that they lacked physical bodies to offer reasonable support. My Fault for signing up. I paid for a service, and had very few outages.

When they most recently renewed my contract (Bill first, then send invoice), the price had increased 14.5% for a full year term (+$13/mo +tax). I probably would have been okay with the change had I gotten some warning. However, there is no warning, and they preach about how it's covered in user agreement that they can change the price at any time for any reason, without notification. Again... My Fault for signing up.

Where things became unacceptable for me, is that in order to discuss my bill, I called their main contact line, and which point you are advised that "For accuracy" you can only discuss your billing by e-mail. Now in most cases, there is a reasonable turn around of about 24-48 hours.

It took 8 days to get a response which gave me a contact number for their billing department. Why not just allow people to call your billing department in the first place?! All people want is the ability to have their concerns heard.

Their sales department is reachable almost immediately, but after the initial sale, you're up a creek without a paddle. They are very difficult to reach and their forum moderators spend all of their time making excuses for the company's shortcomings, and pointing the finger in every other direction. Take responsibility for your shortcomings, and improve on them. The same issues were prevalent before I signed up, and they are still carrying on now that I have cancelled.

Consider yourselves warned, don't make the same mistakes I did, this company is awful to deal with.

Comments:

Fergless

Billing ??

quote:
Where did the moderator(S) do that. ?

I saw customers replying to your topic.

Re: Billing ??

Base on my browsing of multiple posts, there is a theme of "It's a busy time of year"
Most of my posts were deleted because they weren't glowing reviews.

Re: Billing ??

I have the same problem. I just noticed my bill went up also. So frustrating and so shady. I'm so sick of emails and their Sales department (which is the only humans i can speak to wont speak to billing issues). You wouldn't happen to have that billing number available??

said by LeTimmy:

Check your PMs, I suspect Fergless might cause a stink to have it removed.

Re: Billing ??

Hah, and now I am banned from Acanac forums. Paying customer, who has done nothing wrong other than expect the slightest bit of customer service. Nice to see the maturity level from the moderators, looks good on you Fergless! Goes to show that Acanac is a joke from top to bottom.

Re: Billing ??

It's specifically written in the forum rules not to post personal Acanac information etc.

I did leave a link to it in one of your topics.

Re: Billing ??

That was a business number, not personal information.
said by Fergless:

I did leave a link to it in one of your topics.

said by freakatola:

There is absolutely no need for personal attacks, I have been cordial with you.

Re: Billing ??

Cordial... by banning me? for posting a business number. This "Acanac can do no wrong" thing that you're doing is just ridiculous.
Just like your billing policy of Bill first, Invoice later; this Ban first, make excuses later is just as silly.

quote:
Most of my posts were deleted because they weren't glowing reviews.

Not entirely true.
You have 2 topics on the go.
Here »community.acanac.com/acanac/view···79cad4fa

And here »community.acanac.com/acanac/view···&start=0

Check it out !!

Canada
My apologies, they were moved from relevant discussion boards, to irrelevant general discussion boards, and edited to remove any information that might actually help other customers.

Re: Billing ??

I'm pretty sure you know why your post had something edited out.

It would actually be counter productive for customers, as it would slow billing down.
You do realize all billing inquiries are done by email so there will be no mistake what transpires. If billing needs a customer to call them they will ask the customer to call them at the appropriate #

Re: Billing ??

Well if the e-mail system worked, it wouldn't be a problem. You are dealing with real people and real money! The Billing department needs to stop hiding behind an e-mail system. Every other company in the world operates just fine over the phone. If customers want a confirmation of the work done, then it can be e-mailed to them at that point so that it is in writing.

I appreciate your desire to defend the company you work for, it truly shows a great work ethic on your part and is to be desired by an employer. It's just too bad it isn't a competent company, one that understands what actual customer service is.

Re: Billing ??

My sentiments exactly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks again for your help.. This is how silly it is. You were the biggest help and you are a customer.

If anyone wants to stop fooling around with their useless email ticket system for billing issues then feel free to contact me and will gladly provide a phone number in their billing department where you can actually speak to a human. Alternatively I will be posting in my review to save current ACANAC customers from the torment ive been through in resolving billing issues.

quote:
You mean the torment being they would not waive the moving fee.

Re: Billing ??

I couldnt care less about the move fee. It's not my problem you don't want my business. It's the crappy customer service. You guys don't even have the decency to respond to emails. I get you work for them but your company just blows and how funny everyone's experience is the same. If I didn't get your billing number from a fellow dslreport's member and very unhappy Acanac loyal customer I would probably be still sitting here waiting. By the way if anyone wants their direct BILLING number it's 1-866-355-4326
bollywood

join:2014-09-23
Guelph, ON

Re: Billing ??

I completely agree with Tim. Not waving a fee is one thing and not co-operationg with customers, holding them hostages when they try to cancel their services by not releasing their modems, not sending cancellation requests as promised etc. is horrible. Hope you know what I am talking about Fergless. My issues are STILL not resolved and You are the one who sent "long notes" to cable manager for me couple weeks ago.

Edit: Thanks for your efforts Fergless. No offence to You.

Review by mugwug See Profile

• Location: Canada
Good "Has mostly been reliable, no bandwidth caps"
Bad "Customer service is almost non-existent"
Overall "Can't take it anymore...am going elsewhere."

In 2010 we moved and after some research I picked Acanac as our new ISP (DSL), the introductory rate was good (made a little more expensive by the dry loop - but still working out to be about $37/mo for the first year).

Ordering the service was painless, and the Bell tech showed up without incident the day we moved into our new house.

The service was good from the get-go. We'd experience the occasional outage, I'd email their support line (I learned early on that telephone support was going to be a LONG wait unless you are placing an order with them) as I left for work, or from work, and the issue would generally be sorted out by the time I got home (whether this was a result of them fixing the issue, or it resolving itself I could not say..but it was a pattern I became used to).

Recently we lost our internet in the morning (the connection was amazingly slow...router says it was about a 10kbs connection). Attempted to call support....recorded message saying wait times were more than an hour and I would have to call back. Hmmm, must be a network issue I think to myself. Check their "community" page, which clearly says NO DSL issues.

Long story short... I was hung up on after 81 minutes on hold, I received an email reply suggesting my modem may be at fault, or the wiring from the demarc to my modem. I received an SMS assuring me that Bell was working in my area at the time of the outage, and resetting my profile would work wonders.

Our connection remains sporadic, the connection resets every 5-20 minutes, the speeds are generally so slow that I long for dial-up. No meaningful response from customer service, and I'm tired by the entire process.

I've sent my email to billing@acanac.ca cancelling the service. I've booked another provider to come in and get us on service. I am hopeful that Acanac can sort this out in the two and a half weeks we have left, but I'm not optimistic. It's been a good run, but it's over.

Updated: 24 September, 2014

The DSL service from Acanac was horrible right to the bitter end. They never did resolve problem despite numerous tickets being created, and I am certain that our cancellation notice did nothing to speed their efforts on. Profile would be changed or reset, connection speeds would momentarily increase, then diminish over the next half day, correspondence with their support staff felt like we were starting from scratch each time I tried to get the problem diagnosed.

I replaced my DSL modem, which is wired straight to the demarc, no improvement.

Acanac also charged me for the cancellation. Pro-rating my service to the shorter terms so that I ended up getting a $30 refund when it was all said and done (the bulk of that being the refund for my dry loop cost) - worth every penny to be done with the service as far as I am concerned.

Have been with another ISP since, and have no complaints.

TLDR - Acanac is fine when it works, if there is a problem that requires Acanacs intervention you are probably in trouble.

Comments:
chall2k56

join:2007-10-03
Edmonton, AB

Ideas to try

Does the same pattern exist if you plug the modem in at the demarcation point (where Bell's wires come in from outside)?

Have you tried a different modem?

What's your line stats look like?

Billing email address

quote:
I've sent my email to billing@acanac.ca cancelling the service.
The correct email address for billing is billing@acanac.com

Review by ilovenet See Profile

Good "It works"
Bad "Horrible customer service"
Overall "Not worth it to save $"

Horrible customer service experience canceling Acanac

Timeline

- Received my usual monthly invoice and discover that my internet has been increased 25% without any notice to me. Contacted billing and the response was “as of August 12, 2014, the rate for the cable 35 mbps has increased to $62.95 plus tax, based on the monthly term”.

- Aug. 27th: submitted a ticket requesting my service be canceled and submitted my contact and last 4 credit card #s as requested. I requested confirmation of cancellation and the date of termination of service.

- Sept. 10th: No response, so I call support and ask to have the issue escalated. I’m told that I will be contacted within 24 hours.

- Sept. 15th: Still no response. I open another ticket informing them of my cancellation request and quoting previous ticket.

- Sept. 23rd: I received confirmation of the closure of my account.

Of course, as I anticipated, my cable modem has not been released by Acanac. This doesn't affect me since I am renting another modem from my new internet provider. I’d like to sell the modem, so I would like to get that done at some point. I will update this thread to see how long that takes!

TL;DR: It takes about a month to cancel your Acanac intertnet and you can’t reach the billing department by phone. They will ignore you and won’t release your cable modem.

Sept. 23rd: Submitted ticket to Acanac requesting my cable modem be released

Comments:
LeTimmy

join:2013-04-16

Here's the number they don't want you to have. Billing

1-866-355-4326

Review by bollywood See Profile

• Location: Guelph,ON
Good "Not anymore"
Bad "Worst customer service experienced in life"
Overall "Would not recommend this company to anyone after being a long time customer"

One of the reasons why We are all here and these third party service providers exist is, because Bell/Rogers did not care about their customers and decided to ignore customers satisfaction by lousy service, broken promises and so on. I have been Acanac customer for over 7 years and at one time, was a happy one too. In my experience, As they grew bigger(Thanks to the customers who supported them in their initial period) they too follow the foot prints of the companies whose services they resell. Out of all other resellers, Acanac is the one with NO phone support to the customers. You must email them with your concern/complaint and just WAIT for response. When you have to wait for a day or two for a response, No problem. When it delays, another day or two, little worry. But you can’t have your customer wait for week/s for a simple response or important concern like disconnection/transfer dates. You can not wait month/s for a simple disconnection request to be sent to the carrier(Rogers in this case) after YOU(acanac) confirmed the disconnection date. Being in this business of providing internet services as a third party, Acanac is and must be aware of an importance of disconnection/installation dates for a smooth transition between third party providers(Thanks to Rogers). To be more specific, I am

sharing my recent experience with Acanac customer service when I tried to switch my service provider due to uniformed price increase. To make sure that the transfer goes smooth, I started my process a month in advance.

• Aug 22 – I sent a request by email to cancel my internet service starting my new billing cycle(monthly term) which is on Sept 18th.

• Aug 26 – Acanac confirmed that they will not be renewing my service and my cancellation date is 18th Sept.

• Aug 26 – I signed up for a new service provider and gave them my disconnection date as sept 18th, which they accepted as it falls within the time period(two weeks) that Rogers requires for smooth transfer between third party providers without interruption.

• Sept 3 – I received a call from Acanac offering me some kind of promotion but I couldn’t talk to them in detail as I was driving and asked them to call back in an hour. They never did. This call alarmed me a little that they haven’t sent in their cancellation request to Rogers yet.

• Sept 8 – On a follow up with my new to be provider, I was told that Rogers has refused the transfer as they have NOT received disconnection request from Acanac. They also suggested that I request a new cancellation date from Acanac if I want to switch without interruption.

• Sept 8 – I sent an email acanac to remind to send a cancellation request to Rogers and also send in a NEW CANCELLATION DATE of at least two weeks after. Thinking that would be enough time, I chose Sept 29th.

• Sept 8 – To expedite, I also sent pm’s to fergless in this forum with my ticket ID and requested a follow up which I believe, he forwarded to someone in Acanac.

• Sept 11 – On another follow up with my new to be provider I was told that Rogers has now received a cancellation request from Acanac( 3 weeks after my initial request and their own confirmation that my cancellation is Sept 18) but cancellation date from Acanac is still Sept 18. Now, Rogers will NOT accept this as a transfer because there has to be at least two weeks in between they receive a transfer request from a new provider and a cancellation date from an existing provider.

• Acanac decided not to respond until Sept 16th even after numerous follow ups by Fergless and myself by phone.

• Sept 16 – They responded saying my cancellation date is changed to 29th Sept but now, there are only 13 days and transfer won’t happen.( WAS THIS INTENTIONAL TO LEAVE 13 DAYS SO THAT TRANSFER CAN’T HAPPEN?

• Sept 22 – I got a phone call from new provider that

ROGERS HAS STILL NOT RECEIVED MY CANCELLATION REQUEST FROM ACANAC AND THEY CAN NOT TRANSFER MY SERVICE OVER.

Acanac is doing this on purpose so that there would NOT be a smooth transition to the new provider. I have decided to go back to Rogers(Luckily, They don’t need Acanac’s permission to take over their own internet). Thanks Acanac for pushing me back to Rogers where I quit years ago to support YOU.

Sorry for the long post but I wanted all existing and potential customers to know what to expect when you need service(Nothing different when I decided to leave Rogers).

Comments:

Review by keysersoze See Profile

• Location: St Agatha,ON
Good "Speed"
Bad "Will increase your price even after you have a rep tell you are grandfathered in."
Overall "Agree with others Stay away. Look at another provider. "

Will Tell you one price on the phone and then when it's time for renewal will give you another.

I was with them for 5 years, in two different houses and loved the service until now. Will be moving to another 3 rd party provider.

Created a ticket regarding my up coming renewal, advised to call in. Talked to a rep and he stated I was grandfathered into my rate and not to worry.

Checked in a couple weeks before my expiry as I needed to update my credit card and was surprised to hear that my rate was going to be much more then I was told.

Billings and retention do not want to reply back, took 9 days for them to reply back on a ticket. That reply was sent on a Friday at 6:50pm telling me to call in, but they close at 7 pm and are note open weekends. Thanks for the great customer service.

I was lucky to have been looking at my phone when the email came in!

I did get on the phone with a rep and she stated she would look into this and get back to me Monday at 12.

Monday at 1, nothing... I had to call in and ask for rep, she didn't even come on the phone but had another rep advise that they would NOT honor the price that was stated and I would have to pay the increased rate... they didn't want to work with me or save the business at all....

So look into other providers like Smart, ElectronicBox, Tecksavvy ect before Acanac.

Comments:

Fergless

$$$$

If you called in and got a price before a price increase, agent's could only tell you the information they currently have. Sorry about that

Disappointed

@63.76.166.x

Horrible service

Good luck trying to get a call back. No one is ever available. Sales sends you to billing and billing to sales. Good luck speaking to a supervisor. Don't leave them your credit card they will shamelessly make charges to your card even if the charges are not authorized. Stay away from this provider. They are great until you run into issues then the service is HORRIBLE!!!!
bollywood

join:2014-09-23
Guelph, ON
·Acanac

Run away as far as you can

Yes, Agree. Been a long time customer. NO response from Billing. Delay in sending cancellation request to the carrier(on purpose). I have been waiting for them to send a simple cancellation request to the carrier(Rogers) for more than two months(since August 22) and still waiting as of today(Sept 23). I have two email confirmations from them with two different cancellation dates BUT they have failed to send this cancellation request to Rogers for obvious reason, so that the service would NOT transfer to the new provider seamlessly.

This company used to be good but not anymore. There are better options out there with better prices.

Billing

866-355-4326

Review by LeTimmy See Profile

• Location: Toronto,ON
Good "Speeds as advertised"
Bad "Customer Service / They WILL increase your bill without notice."
Overall "Keep Away!!!!!! Better hope that you don't have issues. Trying to get issues resolved is frustrating beyond belief. "

I'll just post my support ticket in hopes that someone from Acanac reads it ONE day. Apparently, they don't feel the need to respond. Going on 8 days without a response. Follow up calls to customer service are useless. They just keep telling you to email your concerns but that they do see an open ticket. Great Help.

They want to charge $100.00 to move service to new address which is downright absurd IMHO. They also increased my bill $11/month without any notice. No email, nothing! Unfortunately i noticed it 3 months too late. When questioned they tell you to read your user agreement. I will be issuing a chargeback with my credit card company.

This company is so disconnected. Customer Service is atrocious. They push you to email your questions to certain departments. Only way to speak to humans there is to get directed to Sales even if its not a Sales issue.

Ticket Information:
Ticket ID: BCP-43559

Posted on 04 Sep 2014 03:39 PM

I'm trying to move this account to an address that i will be moving to Oct
1st, 2014

I'm being told that their is a fee of $100.00 to change addresses.

This doesn't make sense to me at all. I've purchased a modem from you.
The address I'm moving to is already setup with Rogers(which services your
accounts).

I need this fee waived if you want me to continue as a customer. If this
is something you cannot do then terminate my account effective September
30th, 2014.

Posted on 10 Sep 2014 12:28 PM

I haven't received a reply to my ticket from 6 days ago. Please let me know one way or the other so I can plan accordingly.

Tim

Comments:

Fergless

Moving Fee (Cable)

I doubt they will waive the moving fee, it's a standard fee for all cable moves.

Re: Moving Fee (Cable)

It's a cash grab. No Rogers tech has to visit the home to establish service since its currently active with Rogers and will be active when I move into the home. Also, it's more expensive than cancelling my service and reactivating it. Activation Fee is $49.95. How in the world can they justify a $100.00 moving fee when all they are doing is coordinating a service switch with Rogers.

I'm fine with them not waiving the fee. That's their prerogative. I will gladly take my business elsewhere. I'm not fine with them going on 9 days now without the courtesy of a response however this is consistent with the experience i've had with Acanac since the beginning. The hoops i had to jump through to get service established in the first place was mind boggling. A total nightmare.

Having lived in the U.S for many years i know what its like to be with an internet carrier that provides a GOOD customer experience and does everything possible to retain their customers. Unfortunately here in Canada we are so limited in carrier options and essentially forced into picking the best of the worst. The American companies will be here one day and it's unfortunate that my business won't likely be with a Canadian company.

Acanac is really really good at providing POOR customer service. It's not the experience i expect as a paying customer.

Re: Moving Fee (Cable)

UPDATE:

I finally received a reply from Acanac!!! 11 days, 2 emails and 3 phone calls later.

Hello

We do apologize for any inconvenience, However we are unable to waive the move fee. This fee is charged by the carrier because 2 technicians are required to process a move, One technician to disconnect at previous location and another to connect at your new location.

Please confirm how you would like to proceed.

If you have further inquiries, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Colin
Customer Relations

Colin:

Rogers is already established and will remain active at(until i change providers) at the home I'm moving to.. This is simply coordinating a service switch. Secondly, you wouldn't charge me for cancelling my account so what does it matter if Rogers has to disconnect at current home. You have a setup fee of $49.95 and yet you are trying to charge me $100.00. What doesn't seem right here???? So i can cancel my service and setup up new service at my new home for $49.95 but to move account service to the new home its $100.00. What doesn't seem right here???

I don't care who has to do what. Rogers is not to blame here. Acanac is.

It's very simply this. You pay Rogers for whatever charges there are and you don't bill me for it.

I'll give you an example of how easy this is. If you look at my account from the beginning. I was credited for 3 months of service because of the INSANE experience i had getting my internet established in the first place. I was given 3 months or so of FREE service from an ACANAC manager. You still had to pay Rogers for that service I was getting. Easy. You pay Rogers. You don't bill me.

Those are the kind of things you do to retain customers. Saying that, the easiest of things seem to be very difficult for Acanac.

It took 11 days and 3 phone calls for me to get a response only to try to pass the blame to Rogers.

Do not renew my service for next month. I believe my next billing period is Oct 3rd. To be clear. Last day of active service will be Oct. 3rd.

IISP's

It's a bit of a nightmare for IISP's in Canada, we don't have that much control over the carriers even if we are their customers so to speak. It must be so much better in the US.

Good luck with your next ISP

Re: IISP's

There seems to be a common theme of trying to pass the buck to Rogers. This is purely an Acanac issue(in this case anyways).

Re: IISP's

It is not unique to Acanac at all. Check out some of the other IISP's with same issues.

Re: IISP's

I'm not sure you know what the issue is. The issue is Acanac providing pitiful customer service and delving in shady business practices.

Once again I'm waiting 5 days for a response to my request to cancel service. Before that it was 11 days, 2 emails and 3 phone calls to address a $100 moving service fee.

The customer service this company provides is a joke. My time is important to me. I don't want to be sitting here all day emailing with follow up calls for the easiest of tasks.

Oh and top of that I just found out they increased my bill in August $11.00/month without any notice whatsoever. Do you think that is standard practice to increase customers monthly rate without letting them know? I didn't consent to any increase. If I was notified i could of a made an informed decision whether to continue my service with Acanac or not. For a service that is prepaid, its an extremely shady practice to increase rates and tell them after the fact. I will be making a complaint with the Better Business Bureau of Ontario.

These are the issues Fergless and these are Acanac issues.

quote:
These are the issues Fergless and these are Acanac issues.

Well due to the backlog of tickets to the carriers also puts Acanac at a disadvantage with many many tickets generated to the billing department. That's what I was getting at.
Also the price increase has also created a burden on them.

None of us on the forum were told there would be increases until after they showed up on the main site.

Billing should have handled it differently, the way I see it.

Re: IISP's

Just want to add as customers may be unaware, I can help with almost everything else except billing. Something simple in billing, no problem I can do that.

Cheers

ACANAC's SECRET NUMBER - You actually get to speak to humans

8 6 6-355-4326

Review by julienvf See Profile

• Location: Verdun,QC
Good "Good pricing, unlimited bandwith, a good company fighting a lot along side customer groups against Bell at the CRTC."
Bad "email only tech suport"
Overall "Definitely make the switch from Videotron or Bell to Acanac!"

Acanac 120/20 mbps in Vidéotron land here. So far, great consistent speed: even at peak hours, I get 125mbit down, 21 up. Best bang for the buck deal out there for unlimited bandwith unless you need 120mbps+, unless the CRTC tariff is lowered which I hope will be the case soon. Acanac uses the Distributel network which has now 3 backbones: torix, cogent and nlayer. Most of my traffic now is routed through torix, improving speed and latency.

member for 5.9 years, 1925 visits, last login: 1 days ago

Comments:

anony_mous

@cybersurf.com

-2 recommendations

Horrible customer service / charged for reactivation

They cancelled my service when I had not asked them to do so, made me wait about a week to reactivate cause a service representative had to come over (even though I called the next day it was disconnected) and then charged me for reactivation. They said only the billing department could waive the activation fee but they don't have a phone and the only way to reach them is via email. I sent them a bunch of emails but they didn't reply for about two months. When they finally did, they said they can't waive the fee (even though it was their fault for cancelling the service) and they can offer 10 DAYS of free service for the inconvenience. I replied to them but they have not returned my email still.

If you can go with a different service provider, I highly recommend that you do so.
julienvf

join:2008-12-30
Verdun, QC

Re: Horrible customer service / charged for reactivation

Anonymous user bashing Acanac. Opinion worth nothing.

customer aca

@66.249.83.x

you think it's good

You cannot compare bell and cable speed since bell does not offer cable.

Acanac has very very bad customer services.

If you have problem
They do not help you during weekend
And take up to 2 week to gave stuffs solve

Review by van84 See Profile

• Location: Montreal,QC
Bad "Customer support and service after sell is really poor"
Overall "Read this review and you will understand."

hello guys,

I am new here but I would like to share my experiences with you at Acanac.

I am with Acanac for around 5 years now. I am been a loyal customer and I brought in some peoples and I was about to bring my uncle soon. however I guess this will probably not happen anymore.

****** My experience ******

I contacted Sale department 4 weeks ago to upgrade from ADSL to VDSL.

The reason of my upgrade was I need a better upload speed due of my work.

I called sale department and they said I should be able to have a upload speed up to 26MBIT. I decide to buy the package 25 down / 10 up.

When the modem arrived, I got a speed upload up to 3 MBIT.

Called support tech a bunches of time, no one was able to help me out.

The internet suddently went down for 2 weeks. No one was able to help me out. They sent Bell to my house (total 2.5 weeks)
Bell determine the new VDSL modem is the issue. Called Acanac, they said they will ship a new modem again (take 4 days before I receive it).

I decided to call billing department to ask to change to cable (no reply for 7 days)
I finally get the billing departement phone number. I decided to cancel everything.
Billing department representative asked me to send another email to billing@acanac.com. (You see the loop right?)

Sent another email to billing@acanac.com, no reply.

I called again yesterday, and the representative said they cannot cancel my account. Need to call between 9 to 13.
I decided to call again billing today to try again. They said: it passed the 30 days trial, I have to keep the modem (that I received 4 days ago because the old one was broken).

Is that a joke?

My problem is still not resolved yet. I am tired.

****** Some notes ********

- When I joined the Acanac, the modem was rental. It became a "BUY" modem without warning. I have to keep the modem when upgrading from ADSL to VDSL. Cannot have the 50$ rental money at the beginning.
- When you call support, they hang up on you when queue more than 1 hour.
- the email for billing department take more than 48 hours to reply and sometime they are not replying at all.
- Sale department promised you a certain speed but you may not get it.
- they do not read complains nor feedback emails.
- When upgrade to VDSL, they forced you to buy a 60$ worth modem for 99$, that is fine, but they are not wanting to refund it if you cancel the service after a couple of days of usage.
- The 30 days trial on the new service start when they shipped the modem and not when you have internet activated.
- I think they are pushing back the ticket to go over 30 days so you won't get the refund for the modem or service. That's the reason they do not want to reply to my tickets.

I don't care to not having the full refund, I am ready to get the partial refund for the months that I do not use. But how come I am not be able to have a refund for a BRAND NEW MODEM that I just received it? It won`t possible to resell this modem on my own. Waste of time and price will never be 99$+tax.