Acanac page on DSLReports

Review by false79 See Profile

• Location: Toronto,ON
Good "Price"
Bad "Email-only support = useless when their service is down"
Overall "Friends don't let friends sign up for #Acanac"

Good Morning Employee of Acanac,

I am writing this from a Starbucks Free Wi-Fi so you have something to talk about during your lunch break. I am entering Day #7 without phone service that I pay $20/month for apparently nothing. It started off with friends & family calling my home and going straight to voicemail. Through the actions of your “Support Department”, not only was my original issue not resolved but it was made worse by taking away my ability to make outgoing calls. I can’t even access my voicemail online which leads me to believe someone on your end for reasons unbeknownst to me, probably decided to breach contract and disable just my phone service. I am now into Day #2 without internet service. The technical responses I am witnessing show no indication of what actions have been taken, showcase your notorious slow response times, and feature copied & pasted boilerplate responses.

Someone in your organization made the decision to throw more money at marketing and advertising to gain more customers through bus ads and other means. This was a huge mistake. It just doesn't make sense to sell such an inferior service to the marketplace. If I knew in advance the trouble I had to go through to get my previously working service up and running, I would have been with Rogers (and I really hate Rogers).

I cannot believe you people in good conscious work for a company that bills people but don’t provide the service they are paying for. It’s not fair. Although you don’t have a social media presence, you don’t have to go very far on the internet to find others who are experiencing the same frustration I am experiencing.

My term is up next month so it’s known I will not be renewing. My message to you all is this: Find a job somewhere else. It’s obvious that some of your teams are both under-staffed and/or under-trained to do their jobs. It’s not fair to your co-workers who do know their shit. It’s not fair to paying customers like me.

Every ISP is allowed to f-up once in a while. Just not this many times in 7 weeks.

Sincerest disrespect,

-mL

Comments:
false79

·Acanac

My account has been cancelled w/o my written notice

Acanac, is it standard practice when a customer posts a negative review like the one above, you guys breach contract and terminate my phone and internet services? I did not make a request to have my services terminated immediately.
dra6o0n

join:2011-08-15
·ITalkBB

3 edits

Re: My account has been cancelled w/o my written notice

Sounds like they got scared and asked their incumbants for advice?
Reading through the reviews, responses and such. I came to a possible conclusion:

- One of the workers read the review, comprehends it as "I don't want to continue this contract any longer" And lies to his/her own company to create a process ticket to process the cancellation, etc.

This type of scenario happens to a lot of small businesses, especially if the boss is too lenient to their staff, to the point where it just takes 1 bad apple to ruin a bunch.

Granted, I'm looking at it similarly to 'new hires' for businesses like small local restaurants, where it only takes 1 new staff member being hired, and brings his/her past addictions or problems with them to work.

Toronto, ON

Account info/Ticket # re cancelled accounts.

Hi false79

Can you please IM your account info and ticket # referencing your accounts being cancelled?

Re: Account info/Ticket # re cancelled accounts.

"New members have to wait at least 8 hours before they can send an IM"

RCA-18375 No internet service; Thomas W replies saying it was canceled because I requested it. I response asking to provide evidence of this request. He references SHC-79977. I reply back that there is absolutely no reference there that I wish to cancel my services immediately. I mention multiple times that I will not be renewing for another term. I paid for 12 weeks of service and you guys decided to provide only 6 weeks of that agreement by terminating my account half-way through the term. This is a breach of contract. You guys f'd up, huge.

Re: Account info/Ticket # re cancelled accounts.

Do you wanted the service reactivated?

Re: Account info/Ticket # re cancelled accounts.

I want what I paid for and nothing more = Internet and Phone for 3 months starting October 1st, 2013. Is that possible? Can you guys provide what you advertise? Because I did my part, I paid the money. You guys have it.

Toronto, ON
Were you billed for the 3 month term you changed to from a one month plan?

Re: Account info/Ticket # re cancelled accounts.

I was billed a 3-month term which was my intention on October 1st. I was coming from a 1-month term for the month of September 2013.

I did not request for any such changes to downgrade to a 1 month term. There is no documentation for any such request of a downgrade nor cancellation. I'm not sure what your colleague's motivation was to make these changes that were not requested.

Re: Account info/Ticket # re cancelled accounts.

You were actually billed for 3 months? It shows as not paid in our records.

Re: Account info/Ticket # re cancelled accounts.

I stand corrected. It turns out I have been on a month-to-month plan despite requesting on September 20th that I would like to be billed for a 3-month term as soon as possible. The response from Iman in IMS-39629 clearly indicates the 3-month term does not begin until November 1st. The complaint I dispatched in SHC-79977 was probably received as that I was cancelling November 1st's 3 month contract.

My position up until now was that I was under the impression I was already on a 3-month plan starting Oct 1st through Dec 31st as I had already paid for September. I was under the belief that because I made this request 11 days before October 1st, I thought I had already started this 3-month contract. I am sorry for the misinterpretation in understanding IMS-39629.

If I have not been billed already, I would like to not have my account re-activated and do not wish to continue using your services.

This whole process has been incredibly frustrating and confusing.
dra6o0n

join:2011-08-15
·ITalkBB

Acanac?

I saw their funny ad on the newspaper once on 'refer 10 customers and get unlimited internet for free*'.

They use a timed contract based business system rather than a pay per month on a ala cart system.

They also aren't a 3rd party reseller, but a 2nd party like Teksavvy, for Rogers and Bell.

Now depending on the position of 1st to third party, Incumbant ISPs like Rogers, Bell, and Telus have influences on companies that wants to further expand their business into ISP, but must buy services from them.

Teksavvy's lucky I guess, since they must have existed longer and gotten access to their services before the Incumbants changed up the game rules.

Also, People giving feedback do to reaction to a review, would only get you worse reputation, only those who 'fear' repercussions would seem to take action like this.

2 edits

?

Not sure what you're saying dra6o0n, can you elaborate please.

Thank you.

PS: You do understand the OP's problem was resolved.

Review by Bye internet See Profile

• Location: canada
Good "None."
Bad "Promised refunds never provided. Useless, time-wasting customer service, if you even get thru. "
Overall "Refund received, after 2 years of legal threats. Worst Service. Worst Customer Service. "

I paid one year in advance for high speed DSL internet with Acanac, for a cost of $406.12, which was billed to my charge card. After two months of trying, Acanac was unable to provide any connection.

They have agreed to refund. My charge card was credited for $13.56, but I was told that the remaining $392.56 could not be processed to my charge card. Instead, they would mail me a cheque. On December 1, 2011, they said, "You will receive the check within 2 to 3 weeks." I still have not received the check. I've written back to Acanac about it, but they do not reply.

I tried calling Technical Support, wasting an entire day on hold. 131 times I was thanked for my patience, and told I was "next in line". After a day on the phone, they cut off my call! I tried calling Billing, but they refuse to discuss anything by phone. I tried Accounting, but they were unable to help me. Twice, I told them by phone to cancel my order, which them claimed they were unable to do. Serveral times, Acanac told me that a lineman was checking the situation, but I never heard from the lineman, or any party whom he represented.

Some people might get lucky with this company. If so, I hope you never have technical or billing issues!

I am currently preparing legal action against Acanac.

*************

Now, nearly two years after the fact, Acanac has sent me the refund, but only upon my threat of immediate legal action. I am still stuck with the modem they sold me, which was intended to be used with the services they provided. Since they never provided the services, I am stuck with an unwanted, unneeded, and never-used modem. Will Acanac make an offer to buy back the pointless modem? If so, would they expect me to pay Shipping and Handling?If you're almost a pauper, you might want to gamble a little money on this company, if you can afford such a risk of your limited cash. But it's just that...a gamble. For $5/month more, you can get the fastest and most reliable internet service in Ontario, at Start Communications.

FP

Comments:
Lynn

Acanac, Inc.

Can you pm me with your user ID and I will check for you to see if it has been sent out?

Re: Acanac, Inc.

Lynn,

What about put someone on the phone at the billing/accounting department?

I think it would be much more valuable than having someone on forums trying to fix thing up on desperate case.

You don't avoid charge back procedure by contacting people on a forum, you avoid them by answering the phone when they call you before they charge back.

Regards,

join:2012-01-16

terrible support, extremely hard to cancel

Same here. When you stuck with them, it seems impossible to get off.

3 weeks without internet, even no promise for refund yet.

Please stay away as far as possible from this company.

Acanac,Inc.

It is not hard to cancel if you follow procedure.
1) send email to billing@acanac.com to cancel with your account information in the email
2) you will receive a reply asking you for reason for cancellation if you did not state one
3) send email back( reply to same email. do not send a new one) stating reason for cancellation.
4) most important one. WAIT for a reply before sending in multiple tickets.
5) service will be cancelled.

Re: Acanac,Inc.

Hi,

First, thank you. I know you have tried your best (I've read a lot on this site)

The interesting part is 'WAIT'. How long should I wait? 2 months? 6 months? 1 year?

At least get rid of my line first so I can go with another ISP and reply to me something like 'we are processing your request'.

Don't play with your customer!

Your unknowledgable support employees can't solve a simple problem and your level 2 tech support is a liar. That's why I quit.

Cancellation

Well am on the same process for cancellation, I told them in advance I will cancel my service this Friday the 27 they told me to send back an email this day. I am very tired of the very bad connection I got from them, MAX SPEED 5mbit but in fact I have 1MBITS most of the time, plus its totally impossible to play games with this connection, it crashes every 5 minutes. I did all they wanted me to do, restart, use another dsl, use different wires, test the plug with bell technician. Their last idea was to call a technician myself and rewire my house, can you imagine.

Anyway, am a fair guy and told them i agreed to pay for a month of (service) and that I wanted a refund of the balance so I can wait until videotron comes to my house.

Considering all what i can read online on them, I think all my effort this Friday will be to send a single email to them, then ill use my legal insurance straight. Well its been 2 years am paying 40$ a year and i can use 15 000$ of lawyer in a year so i think they will have to taste that. This is the only advice I give you acanac, use my patience and yll spend much more in court

I will update u on my great refund or on the judgement.

Re: Cancellation

YES. Stop them from STEALING money from their customers.

said by YvesG :

I will update u on my great refund or on the judgement.

You want help why don't you register for the board and pm me your user information so I can pull up your account to see what is going on. Your threats with the lawyers will not work with me. I will do what I can for you without the threats. I can't help you here without knowing who you are or your account information.
By the way for the other poster here, we DO NOT steal anyones money. If protocol is followed you will receive your refund back if you have a bit of patience and wait till they reply to you.

Bye internet you could not have wanted help because I asked you above on november 8th I think, to email me with your user information so I could help you and you never did.

Re: Cancellation

Lawyer will be used in the next 5 working days after i send my email this friday, for sure I will give acanac a single chance. I dont want anymore help and ill tell you why.

1st: I called you enough and sent enough email at this time and I earn 22$/hour so if you agree to refund my wasted time in money Ill agree to spend more time .

2nd: I called bell and Videotron. Bell, the business network acanac is using told me they cant ofer more than 2 Mbit in my sector. And MAGICALY acanac can ofer some 5MBIT on the same network. Kind of contradictory, isnt it?

Ho and about the lawyer, I never make threaten its only to prevent loosing anymore time and money, this guy will do the job for me and he will get paid by my insurance, so from my point of view its only to SAVE money and time, but for sure on your side It may look like something else, considering all people that looks mad to acanac.

join:2012-01-16
What kind of protocol are you talking about?

I've been waiting for one month, and recenty receive one reply in my ticket saying I need to call them.

And guess what? Nobody answers the phone.

Maybe I can wait for one year and receive an email saying that I won't receive any refund because at that time it's over.

I don't know how this type of criminal activity can exist.

join:2012-01-24
Pointe-Aux-Trembles, QC

3 edits

Re: Acanac. inc.

If you read your agreement that you had to agree to when you signed up with us it says it says " UP TO 5 Mbps". If you are that far away from the central office and that is all that we can get you through our installers who are Bell then there is not much we can do. They probably tried to boost your speed while trouble shooting.

As far as how much someone makes a hour that does not mean anything to us. We are here for internet purposes only and amount someone makes makes no difference.

If you don't want to register and give me your info so I can see if I can help then I guess there is no point of asking you if I can help you.
dominic108

join:2012-02-09
Sherbrooke, QC
I don't know how many people are unhappy with Acanac. I just know that I am not happy with them and I see that I am not alone. What is typical is that whenever someone says in public that he is unhappy, some guy from Acanac comes and say that we should instead kindly ask their help. Of course, this is ridiculous because we obviously asked their help before. Still they manage to create the impression that the problem is that we did not ask their help appropriately. So, this smells very bad. What I would like is a way to get a neutral, unbiased view of how many people have problems with Acanac and in what kind of situations these problems emerge. The only way to achieve that is to have some authoritative agency, say a reputed journal, perhaps some governmental agency, do a review of Acanac. I don't care about a class action, but if it is a way to get a review of Acanac based on real complaints, then great.

Acanac auto-renew without a remind letter or email

Acanac has put a transaction of 900$ on my Credit Card on Feb 14nd 2012. The only communication I received was a bill invoice paid automatically. I had no word to say.

I sent them an email the same day to ask them to cancel my Internet and to refund me. I never received a remind letter or email to warn me that they would bill me soon. I wanted to cancel my internet with then from second month of usage because of numerous slow speed issue and hard time to connect to simple website. *I can tell you that gaming was hell all the way*.

After 15 days I sent my email, I didn't receive any update on the status of it. I tried to call their billing department, I got an automatic message that ask us to send them an email and hang up the line.

I then called their sales department *I know for a fact that company always want to make money ...* When I talked to the agent, she told me that she cannot process cancellation by phone ... WTH ... and that I had to wait for them to reply to my email ... I asked her if she could put my query at higher priority and she told me it wasn't possible and sending more email on my side would only end up resetting my ticket to be put at the bottom of the line ...

I'm telling anyone that consider to do business with Acanac TO NOT DO IT. They have clear way of doing business and there is law to protect consumer and they clearly don't follow them.

On my side, right now, I'm requesting a charge back procedure from my VISA card. If you didn't use a Credit Card *Amex, VISA, Mastercard*, You are stuck to do legal action against them in the hope to recover your money some day *usually a few years later*.

I would advice people stuck in this situation to do a collective action against Acanac.

On my side, I'm going to put a complaint at the same time to the Consumer Protection to pressure them to take action to fix their business policy.

Montreal, QC
I subscribed in 2011 for a 1 year discount Internet deal with Acanac. From start I had an horrible Internet experience. Slow speed, open ticket about it, never resolved. I had the intention to cancel it.

Acanac auto-renew without a remind letter or email

atreides10

join:2013-10-21
After browsing through several Acanac reviews, it would appear that customer service 'shines' in QC, but in other areas is quite lacking.

Several reviews indicate that tech support through text messaging does not have the customer continuing a thread with the same technician throughout.

Have had this same experience as well. Inconsistent answers / suggestions for corrective action, and even txt responses from Acanac asking questions answered in previous text. Looking through the text history, it is quite apparent that the responses are being handled by more than one person, and that each new person is not (can not?) review previous chat history before replying.

IMO this renders the SMS option for support useless; the option to contact tech support through SMS should just be removed completely until it can be improved - it seems to result in several negative reviews. Again, this refers to areas outside Quebec.

Review by doesntcount See Profile

Good "Inexpensive, reasonable voip quality, great features"
Bad "It's broken. Cannot receive calls. And they're not fixing it in a timely fashion"
Overall "If you want your phone to work, buy from someone else."

I've had Acanac Voip now for 10 months. It had been working great until 3 days ago when it became impossible for anybody to call us. An automated answer informs callers to our phone number that we have exceeded our 50 unique number call per day limit (which is impossible and I've verified it to be outrageously wrong by reviewing our call history on the portal).

I've submitted ticket ECW-37220 for this issue.

It has been more than a day since I submitted the ticket. The first response was to tell me to reboot my ATA. The second response was to tell me that they were rebuilding my account. I have not heard back from them on this ticket in more than 24hours, which is absolutely unreasonable for an emergency severity ticket submitted for your phone not working.

I'll report back when I hear more from them, but I'll likely be cancelling my service soon since I really do need people to be able to call me.

Update: It has now been 48hours since I've heard anything and (52 hours since I first submitted the ticket).

Update: Issue resolved. They took 3 days and 2hours to resolve this issue. Almost entirely unacceptable in my opinion.

Update: So now I can't make calls out. I resubmitted under the same ticket informing of this issue on Oct 8. They finally got back to me on Oct 12 saying that my voip was disconnected and that I should reconnect and try again. This was false. My voip is connected and has been connected the whole time. So I am now on day 12 with busted voip service. I am entirely flabbergasted at how terrible their customer service is.

Comments:
atreides10

join:2013-10-21

Poor Customer Support Flow

Long wait times on queue for Customer Service on the phone is encountered when dealing with several companies other than Acanac. The major complaint regarding Acanac Customer Service within Greater Toronto Area is 'what you get' when you finally do get to talk someone.

The communications flow that the customer has to go through in a Customer Recovery issue (ie: disruptions in service, billing discrepancies) includes having to write to several email channels, with no guaranteed turnaround time for a response.

Call center advises that Team Leader / Manager does not take calls, so no ability to escalate a concern.

Seven experiences with Acanac Customer Service, and not once has the issue been rectified (or at least, given a timeframe for rectification) once the interaction has ended.

Would hope that Acanac can provide better customer recovery / resolution issues in the future; there isn't much that Customer Support personnel can seem to provide that can't be found on the website - they ultimately direct you there anyway.
doesntcount

join:2013-10-03

Re: Poor Customer Support Flow

They finally got it working last week on Oct 19 for a total outage length of 17 days.

Astonishing.

Then again, you get what you pay for, right?

Review by the1bobcat See Profile

• Location: Brampton,ON
Good "NO Good"
Bad "Attempted a move. Could not accommodate what I wanted AFTER they got my money. No alternatives offered "
Overall "Take your money then slowly give it back after they have it."

·TekSavvy DSL
There are too many things I could say here but I would end up with a wall of words. I honestly gave a great review Of Acanac before and got the service I paid for until I moved. Then the stuff hit the fan customer service wise. They hide behind an email wall and outsource their customer support overseas. They refuse to right any wrong they commit and hide behind email because they won't ever call you to rectify any issue.

Stay Away from Acanac!!!

Comments:
Lynn

Acanac, Inc.

Glad to hear everything got fixed and is working good. Enjoy

Review by asick See Profile

• Location: Brampton,ON
Good "gives you internet, if that all you want"
Bad "false speed advertisement, absolutely no phone support possible, too many interrupts in service, modem own issues, slow speed"
Overall "stay away, for this price, the big bad guys now offer unlimited internet. After all pain I'll still be happier with rogers et al"

·Acanac
Consider this an opinion more that a review (not an angry Acanac customer ). I still have Acanac, switching over next month. I didnt have any major issues with them. I just never wanted to get into contract and needed unlimited data. Tried Start.ca before but too slow so picked acanac. Bought my own modem for $45.

Keep one thing in mind, Acanac will charge you the money and its absolutely not refundable, no matter what the circumstances and they dont communicate to you about anything except an invoice after they have charged you . They won't talk to you anything related to billing over phone, only emails. And email will only say, "sorry for the trouble, but you are screwed " Even their phone greeting for billing says "send an email". Absolutely no phone support via phone on weekends, so if your internet goes out, too bad (happened 2ce and main reason for switching).

I'm a very savvy networking guy and I know they are definitely not 18Mbps or 24Mbps. On top of that, somehow their internet is jerky, fast sometimes and slow sometimes, even over periods of minutes. Page wouldnt load for few seconds, same performane on ipads, iphones, laptops and desktops, with or without my router.

Bottomline is, if I'm going to pay $55+ for this crappy service with 0 support, I might as well get Rogers or Bell for same price since now they offer unlimited service (I got a deal for $40+$10 for unlimited data for 1 year contract 25Mbps, no activation fee). If Rogers and bells are big mafias, these guys are also big time criminals, rediculous modem and activation fees, and prices based on contract period). I had to pay activation fee twice as their installation guy never showed up but they say he did (they wont refund a dime once you click 'submit order"). They also have contracts like others and they usually have anywhere from 10-35 people ahead of you on phone if you want to talk to them . Took me couple of bad experiences to learn that even though the big mafias (Rogers, bell, telus) can be bad, but if you know what you are getting into, they are atleast more reliable than these small time thugs (acanac, start et al.). I think one is better off with more reliable service from Rogers or bell, just know what you sign up for and you know how you use it

• Location: N2M2T
Good "not a single good thing that I can identify"
Bad "lousy service, false information, long installation delays"
Overall "Avoid ACANAC!!!"

I am writing this review to discourage anyone from signing on with acanac.

I have had the worst experience with this company. On June 21, 2013, we signed with them and received an installation date of July 1. The date came and went an no technician came for the installation appointment. They also did not call us to inform us that there was any change. When I called their office, I was told that there was a long volume of calls and I would have

to wait for over an hour and thus, they could not take my call. I received

this message over four different times that I called. Finally, I was able to speak with a customer service representative after midnight and after waiting for 45 minutes. The customer service rep could not tell us when we would get a new installation date. At this point, we have been told that it will take a minimum of ten days, but I have no confidence that this will be true, given what has happened so far. I rely heavily on my internet connection for my work and am at a loss of what to do.

I have requested to be reimbursed but have not heard back from them yet.

Do not use this company! This is the worst experience I have ever had with

an internet provider!! I am copying the message we received that provided

the initial installation date (I have only deleted the username and password info that is specific to our account; otherwise, their message is posted word for word.

(review was emailed from domain uwaterloo.ca)

Comments:

Fergless

Date

quote:
I am copying the message we received that provided

the initial installation date
Can you please post it, I'd like to see what went wrong?

fun2dream

@bell.ca

Acanac is the worse company..do not use

I signed up with Acanac and for over a Month they have not been able to make my phone work... I am going back to Bell.

They keep passing me around from one person to next and will not talk to me in person.... I have to keep sending e-mails and nothing seems to get resolved.

Don't waste your money...on them

Re: Phone

Hi fun2dream

Can you post your Ticket # referring to this and I'll see what's going on.

Patel

@bell.ca

Re: Acanac is the worse company..do not use

I gave my credit card and after 4 days they are sending email that it's not valid, what a lazy service, then wanted to talk to supervisor and no one available, they are may be from rural area where they have no sense how to run business in CANADA

Re: Acanac is the worse company..do not use

Do you have a ticket # I can see what the problem is for you, if you like.

peggyfan

@rogers.com

Re: Acanac is the worse company..do not use

i also got the similar problem. I have inconsistent connection issue more than a week. i waited four hours over the phone getting CSRs to help... and finally they said they will send someone to help. Four days now still no phone calls or no one show p to help. Today I totally lost my connection!!! i'm extremely frustrated... have you ever try to restart your modem every 30 mins for a week!! I DID!!!! I felt like in hell....

my tickets number : VTE-71398, LMI-32495

Hi peggyfan

I have the Cable Manager looking into it for you. Please check her reply to your ticket. VTE-71398

Review by Amou See Profile

• Location: Guelph,ON
Good "Cheap"
Bad "Unstable."
Overall "Not worth it."

I also had VoIP with them which worked fine after getting a proper ATA modem.
Internet was fluctuating very badly and they had no forum support.

member for 3.2 years, 562 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Fergless

VoIP/Internet

quote:
I also had VoIP with them which worked fine after getting a proper ATA modem. Internet was fluctuating very badly and they had no forum support.

Sure there is, but ultimately VoIP support that can't be corrected by forum members needs to be addressed to emergency@acanac.com For DSL/Cable support@acanac.com

Forum members are customers just like yourself.

xxxxxxx

@acanac.net

stay away from Acanac

No technician came to fix it when you had internet problem.
No one work on cancellation except email which will take a week to reply your email.

This company is the worst company I met before.

Stay away from Acanac.

Acanac Inc
join:2007-03-05

Acanac

Please be aware that they are not our techs. They are either Bell's, Rogers, Videotron and so on.

Do you have a ticket ID for your request?

No technician came.

Hi xxxxxxx

Can you please post your Ticket # in reference to this and I'll look into it for you.

Tks

Review by mgreen2000 See Profile

• Location: canada
Good "Very fast taking money from credit card"
Bad "Everything else"
Overall "STAY AWAY FROM ACANAC. ACANAC IS A SCAM."

This is the worst company I have ever dealt with. Their telephone operators are incredibly rude and condescending. Nobody knows what's going on. You have to wait hours to speak wits somebody and after all they ask you to send email and newer will got the answer....

Do not waste your time - file a complaint with CCTS "http://www.ccts-cprst.ca/", with BBB -it's the only way to get any reaction from them.

member for 1 year, 4 visits, last login: 364 days ago
updated 1 year ago

Comments:

Fergless

Problem?

What's the nature of your problem, do you have any tickets for reference?
mgreen2000

join:2013-04-13

2 edits

Re: Problem?

I have many tickets and I request call back on April 1. Only today I can get a chance to speak with rep and she promised that money will be credited to my credit card and it will take 10 - 14 business days even I send request to cancel my service on April 2 and I have no chance to use it. So your company use my money from Feb 27 and I still have to wait another 2 week and lost shipping fee...
I will file complain to BBB. Your company already have more than 250 complains, so it will be more...
This is the worst company!

ymhee_bcex
join:2006-04-21
Tarzana, CA

$640/mo

Just curious... what service costs $640/mo?
mgreen2000

join:2013-04-13

Re: $640/mo

(12 month contract) for cable.
Stay away of this company.

ymhee_bcex
join:2006-04-21
Tarzana, CA
·PHONE POWER
·VOIPO
·callwithus

Re: $640/mo

Wow! That's a lot of pay-per-view watching!

Thank you for your advice; but I hope you understand why I take it with a big grain of skepticism...
Technical problems are more often than not management incompetence masquerading as technical issues

Re: $640/mo ?

More than likely $640/year for Cable Internet.
phreshive

join:2013-02-20
Cote Saint-Luc, QC

Okay!

You sound like a really level headed person. Users of websites such as this truly benefit from the constructive and detailed feedback of your experience.

It is unfortunate that the literacy level is what it is and that simple T&Cs on a website cannot be read.
morph69

join:2001-09-03
Penetanguishene, ON
·FreePhoneLine

Re: Okay!

agreed... I have had acanac twice for installs once for cable and once for dsl ... have prepaid for both services by the year and only issue i ever had with service (on dsl side) was my dry loop used to be disconnected by bell locally (happened at least 6 times in a year). Service has been exactly what i paid for ... unlimited basic connection with no frills. I think that they should not even allow people to post negative reviews (or positive at that) until a memeber has been with the site for at least 2 months or so. No company comes close to the prices they offer for unlimited. and as long the wire coming to the house is good your service will be too.

Review by hickins See Profile

• Location: Burlington,ON
Good "nothing good!"
Bad "customer service is SO NOT RESPONSIVE it can make you SICK"
Overall "Stay Away! there is something seriously wrong with this company!"

Signed up, speed wasn't good, I requested a cancellation withing ONE day!!

It's been 5 WEEKS and NO REFUND!! and still counting...

I send them messages daily, no one responds, I don't know how long should I wait?

A refund was posted yesterday (Nov 5) after 6 weeks on my VISA account, and unfortunately it is around 100$ less what I paid.... re-opened the cancellation ticket and here we go again.... it's like a nightmare that I cannot wake up from....I hope this is the end of it....

OK..So finally I got another reply about the ticket I've opened about the difference in refunds, and I was told that activation fees are not refundable!!

So it'll cost you 100$ to try the service and NOT FULL REFUND!

Update:
I filed a complaint with CCTS "http://www.ccts-cprst.ca/", and I was told that my complaint falls under their mandate, so let's see what happens.

Update:
After almost 6 weeks of filing with CCTS, I got a call from Acanac today to inform me that they have approved the refund of 79.95+tax. YAY!!
It's rather unfortunate that I had to go throught CCTS to get a refund after 6 MONTHS!!!

updated 1 year ago

Comments:
carcajou

join:2012-10-16
Riviere-Beaudette, QC

Time

Hi

Time is relative as per Einstein s theory and Acanac fell into a gravitational field where it expands in inverse proportion with their customers service that contracted down to the infinitesimal.

5 weeks is not much by their standards. Read other posts where people have been waiting 3 months.

Good luck and keep us informed.

adisor19

join:2004-10-11

Re: Time

Post directly on their forums. The mods will help.

Adi

·Cogeco Cable
looks like you are right! I browsed their forum and I read a post that the norm is around 6 weeks give or take!! but if they know this why they tell me it'll take 4 weeks?!! either way even 4 weeks is too much.
Anyways, read my update above, I got a refund yesterday.... BUT...

pssed off

ACANAC CRAP

This is the worst company I have ever dealt with. Their telephone operators are incredibly rude and condescending. Nobody knows what's going on. It took almost 4 full weeks just to initiate service with me doing all the work.... I should have taken this as a sign. The service is abysmal.........it is actually worse than dial up from the nineties.... the only time the speed is adequate is between 2 and 4 am. PATHETIC... do NOT use this service. IT IS CRAP.... IT IS AWFUL...... I am trapped for 6 months as I have no choice and have already prepaid..........

Acanac Inc
join:2007-03-05

Re: ACANAC

I am sorry to hear about your problems. If I can help please let me know.

AS for being trapped this is not the case at all. You can leave at any time. We would just charge you at the rate you call on and return you the rest. For example if you took a 12 month plan and are 6 months into it we would charge you at the 6 month rate and return the remainder.

Once again I am here to help.

Re: ACANAC

Thanks! I'm happy that you guys care to read what we have to say!

I got a refund yesterday (after 6 weeks), but it is around 100$ less the amount I paid, I ran the numbers and the only combination that worked is the (service fees+dry loop) and it looks like you guys didn't refund the service activation fees which is 76+tax. It doesn't make sense to pay 100$ to try your service and find out that it doesn't work for me, does it?
I think there is still something wrong because your Ad says Full refund, unless I missed something...

Re: ACANAC CRAP

I'll try to be constructive, but problem is Acanac doesn't leave much space to leave a constructive comment...
I've been a home phone customer of Acanac since 2007 since I couldn't get their internet back then when I was in a different city, and I've been very happy ever since until I requested to cancel my phone line and I had to face some "difficulties" in communications but at the end, Acanac managed to give me what I want which is great!

On the other end, I agree with your comment about Telephone agents, they are negative by default, they turn defensive from the first greeting even if you try to be positive, I would assume it is because of the volume of the negative calls may be? but generally they are abrasive and not friendly at all.

savana

@199.192.234.x

acanac the wrong choice

Stay away from this company there is no garantie of service or fulfillment to their commitment
pretty bad customer service I waste my time and my money in this company

Burlington, ON

Re: acanac the wrong choice

wow, why what happened?
acanacisbad

join:2012-10-27
North York, ON

Stay away from Acanac

NEVER CONSIDER TO SUBSCRIBE ACANAC. Acanac is a dishonest company. They are expert at cheating customer.

I ordered a Motorola modem on Aug. They sent me a Huawei modem. Of course I refused it. After two months with endless email, they agree to refund me but hold me responsible for shipping cost and tax charges.

Can you believe that? I have to fight with Acanac and write endless emails for 2 months before they agree to refund me but they said I have to pay for postage fee and tax charges because Acanac is not going to refund shipping fee to me even though they shipped me the wrong modem, a modem I never ordered from them.

If you don't want to be cheated, stay away from Acanac. If you don't believe me, go to check internet and other review. I am not alone!!!

Re: Stay away from Acanac

Nope! you're certainly not alone!
I've got bitten hard with the money back guarantee scam, I got a refund (minus) dsl activation fees (79+tax)! Opened up a ticket to ask them about it, NO ONE EVEN CARES TO REPLY!!!
chall2k56

join:2007-10-03
Stittsville, ON

Motorola?

@acanacisbad

Acanac hasnt offered Motorola Modem for 2 years, it was made clear that the Modem fr Ontario was the Huawei

Review by hk2533 See Profile

• Location: North York,ON
Good "cheap price"
Bad "worst of presales info, setup issues on openvpn, ssh, onlinepc, no phone tech support, no clear VOIP procedures, worst value fo"
Overall "Never ever deal with Acanac again (even though I was their customer for many many years)"

The worst experiences is their lack of instruction on how to have a smooth transfer from my DSL to Cable Modem, no clear cable VOIP installation guide and warning about the phone port transfer will disconnect my homephone, very late cable modem delivery (took 4 days even though it is expedited delivery), no internet connection since cable activation on 18 Feb 2013, until tonight, no cable modem since order it on Feb 6, 2013 until Feb 22, 2013;. unworkable username and password for openvpn, ssh, onlinepc, useless and buggy VOIP software called X-lite -- much better free version microSIP, almost no phone tech support - mostly auto-rejected because of long waiting time > 1 hour, email support questions have to be posted 3 times before getting any reply. very painful process just to get their acanac forum -- to get any tech info and help, no response either from the owner although was told to send to feedback@acanac.com because the owner will read (they claimed).

You wil pay the cable modem, and install fees if you cancel 1yr contract even within their 30 days money back guarantee -- so, it is not really fully refunded ; make sure cancel within 39 days or you will pay who year! when try to post on their forum, they blocked it.

Check out this other review on Acanac, which Acanac management never bother to reply, unlike Acanac competitors, which show the lack of management attention and care of their public image and reputation:

»www.canadianisp.ca/cgi-bin/isp_c···ispid=18

Comments:

jay123

@rogers.com

poor response when there is a problem

very poor response when you have any error in service. they dont care about customers once they have already charged to customer. Think twice before making any upfront payment .
fredsmith

join:2010-10-23

Hmm . . . a bit out of touch with reality

So, if I understand, this person is not happy because he didn't know how to port his phone line (simple enough, fill in the form and wait), and that Canada Post took 4 days to deliver a package containing his modem. He's also complaining about software issues for software that many 10s of thousands of people are using successfully with this ISP and millions of other people are using around the globe - so I would ask; Is it him? Or is it everyone else in the world.

Why does he post a link to a review on Start Communications as an example of an Acanac issue? I suppose that this thoroughness is an example of why he is unhappy. Some people will never be satisfied. And those who are as sloppy as this person sort-of deserve whatever they get

Unfortunately I can't tell from his review how long ROGERS really took to provision his modem, since he didn't say what the promise date was, but whatever it was it isn't an Acanac issue, it is a Rogers one.

As to the refund, it is clearly spelled out that you purchase the modem and pay for activation, and that the service fees will be refunded if you cancel within 30 days. If you wait longer, they will prorate the refund.

Most of these negative reviews seem to be cases of people who have no ability to read and simple float through life hoping things will be the way they dream them to be.

Every so often I find myself here, shaking my head at just how stupid some clients can be. I think I'm going to pick a few more of these to comment on today.