Acanac page on DSLReports

Review by ggyl See Profile

• Location: Scarborough,ON
Good "Fast and cheap"
Bad "Bad support, if you require any"
Overall "Great, maybe best option for the tech savvy people"

Initially ordered the 30/1 package for $35/month, no bandwidth cap. Recently got automatically upgraded to 35/3 package with the purchase of a new Docsis 3 modem (~70 dollars). Still paying the same $35 + tax monthly, on a 12 year term. I have this service at my University dorm in Guelph as well as my home in Toronto.

Overall, I have had a very good experience with Acanac. Only problem with this company is the lack of tech support (which is not really their fault as they are just reselling rogers service) but, its it very manageable if you know how to use google. Unless of course there is something physically wrong with your connection, then you are pretty much stuck for a 1-2 weeks with that problem till rogers decides to come fix the cable problem.

Comments:

Review by DBV1911 See Profile

• Location: Maple,ON
Good "Connection reliability"
Bad "Customer Service"
Overall "You get what you pay for"

I paid for one year service ahead of time, 25MB/s Cable Internet and got free phone for one year.
One year later, I decided to switch to V-Media so that I could get their TV Service too.
In order to avoid service disruption, I paid for one extra month to Acanac and asked for the installation from V-Media during that period.

- On June 17, I called Acanac and asked for the cancellation on July 3rd.
- V-Media installation was set for June 28.
- On June 25, out of nowhere, Acanac disconnected my Internet service, even though it was paid until July 3rd.

Since their Tech-Support and complaint dept. can be reached by email only, I sent several emails and got nothing but empty apologies, two days after each email. It was clear that no one even takes the time to read those emails. They promised me several times that a manager/supervisor will give me a call, but no one ever called me.

I resorted to hevae my complaints heard by one of their sales staff, but he again promised me to have someone call me, but they never did.
In one incident, I emailed them and they said we will extend your service for two more weeks. WHAT? What Service? I have got Internet service from a different provider already. What exactly are you going to extend?

Bottom line: They DO NOT read their complaint emails.

Comments:

Fergless

Sorry to hear that

Sorry to hear you were disconnected early. I want to make sure this doesn't happen again. Can you post your ticket # referencing this and I'll see where the failure was.
Neil K

join:2014-05-07
Canada

Acnac

It looks like this was a case of sour grapes from a company peeved at losing yet another customer.

Regardless of all the posturing they did on the early disconnection problem, they still owe you a week's worth of service, and its ridiculous that they should imply you will have to go back to them in order to get the credit.

Ask them for a refund cheque for the unused week, or send a report about them to the CTTS or BBB.....chances are they have done this before, and it could be profitable for them to do that.

Sadly, its also a warning not to give them advance cancellation notice.

said by Neil K:

Sadly, its also a warning not to give them advance cancellation notice.

I see you're trolling again Neil.
Neil K

join:2014-05-07
Canada

Re: Acnac

No, just telling it like it is to other customers, Fergless....don't lose too much sleep over that.

The company should sent this customer a replacement check for the eight days of lost service....its as simple as that.

said by Neil K:

There's no way for us to know what happened since there's no ticket # to go by. Simple as that

Review by darknestgirl See Profile

• Location: Montreal,QC
Good "Good service overall(at least in my case)"
Bad "never had to use support so can't really find anything bad "

·Videotron
2007

I did consider tecksavvy for dsl company but after having to many problem when i was with them before i decide to go with Acanac.

I have the 5mbps down and 800 kbps dsl internet.

I order their service on the internet, receive the modem 2 days after the order and got activate 30 days after the order because of some problem on Bell ends.

They send me the aztech modem by fedex, all i had to do is plug it into my computer.

you probably saw me a lot here and on other dslr forum cause i love to help people and give my honest opinion on other post without sounding harsh or respectful. Now back at my topic

I've been with Acanac for the last 6 month except for some downtime that any other dsl company would have or had the past six month, i'm glad to say i'm very satisfied with the service, i didn't had any problem with it except of course problem from Bell side like anyone else in Acanac had(not showing up, putting people on the wrong profile, etc) I would recommend it to anyone who ask for a dsl company. I particularly love the fact that they have their own forum(community forum) where anyone new and future customer can come and expose their problem. There's always someone there ready to help even if some of the customer there are complaining but we always make sure that their problem was taking care of and i'm glad to say that most of them were resolve in no time.

So, please before you do complain, you should always exposed your problem to see if anyone can help you with it. WE often see people come here and complain after only one week without exposing their problem first to see if anyone can help them resolve it.

So to anyone who are considering to get acanac service don't hesitate to ask question here or on the community forum, we will be more than happy to answer them and to help if you have any problem with the service or your order.

Have a nice day

UPDATE

It's been almost a year now(august 8 ) still very please with the service, no problem except for the throttling on Bell part but theirs always a way to bypass that with the tunnelier, but don't forget that dsl is all about distance and wiring condition. So if your are not too far from the CO you should consider Acanac for the internet(can't say for the VOIP since i don't have it)

UPDATE

now i'm back for another year (monthly paiement 39.95) amazing service just receive a call from someone at the billing department to make sure i did receive the invoice so next update in 6 month

UPDATE 26-05-2013

I'm back with them after 2 year with videotron, i took month to month first to see what kind of speed i will get i got a little more than 25Mbps and around 9.62Mbps(vdsl 25/10 Mbps) i didn't review the tech support since i didn't have to call or contact them for any major problem other than a misunderstanding on my part about the installation process. i had to email billing twice and everything got resolve quickly.

»www.speedtest.net/result/2733711118.png

UPDATE 07/07/2013 after almost 2 month every thing still work the only problem is when i use p2p with any software(utorrent vuze bittorrent) my connection is disconnecting if i upload at more than 200Ko/s and my upload speed did decrease from 9.66Mbps to 7,43 Mbps, i try everything after contacting support(didn't have any problem with them, they did everything they could to help me ) nothing work but I'm not the only one, even Bell customer experience disconnection with P2P so i have to ask support to decrease my upload profile but i decide not too, i will change it for cable instead which is more reliable than vdsl or dsl.

»www.speedtest.net/result/2821306874.png

(different server but same distance 50Mi)

UPDATE 03/08/2013: Cable order done today, i will update my review when it's fully activate.

UPDATE 17/08/2013: Cable install and no major problem so far, get the speed advertise, the activation take a little bit more longer than vdsl, around 10 to 15 days before the tech can come(videotron in my case) Will update my review in a month.

UPDATE 12/09/2013: Since my cable connection is working great with no one single disconnection, i request them to cancel my vdsl account, they did answer my email really quick and asked me why i was cancelling, i told them about my cable connection i have with them is working great . I'm still waiting to get the vdsl connection cancelled after a week, so i ask them again to see what's going on with my last request but no answer.

UPDATE 15/09/2013: Still no answer from billing so far, can't tell if my request was fulfill or not.

UPDATE 16/09/2013: Finally got an answer from billing with the help of fergless, everything was taking care of.

UPDATE 11/01/2014: After being month to month for at least 4 month without any problem or speed change, i finally change it for yearly term. Will update the review if there's any change with my service.

UPDATE 02/07/2014: Been almost a full year now and no major problem. I did experience some dns problem in June (strangely Facebook always work when dns problem happen, couldn't get to any other website) but didn't last too long, probably just 5 minute in a day. Unless i get major problem until the end of this year i will definitively stay for another year.

Comments:

Fergless

Ticket #

Post your ticket # and I'll check.
darknestgirl

join:2008-08-11

Re: Ticket #

Look at your im. You should have it.

Re: Ticket #

Thank you, you should have a reply to your ticket, Auto Renew has been turned off.

Tks
darknestgirl

join:2008-08-11

Thanks, just receive it.

Lew

@ccra-adrc.gc.ca

Service problem

With Acanac, you need to note that they do not have phone support in the weekend and midnight.

Re: Service problem

said by Lew :

darknestgirl is well aware of that, she has been a customer for years off and on and has been very helpful on Acanac's Community Forum.

Tks

Review by chall2k56 See Profile

• Location: Stittsville,ON
Good "Great Pricing! Fast connections"
Bad "The CRTC needs to grow a pair and make the incumbents get better tools for iisp's"
Overall "Takes a while to get setup, but is great service."

·ELECTRONICBOX
·WIND Mobile
Speed is as advertised, and at some points above what is advertised

I use a DCM475 with STAC.02.16 firmware with little to no issues.

The carrier (Rogers in my case) will take their time to answer inquiries, but once they do, service is reliable and stable.

People are all over these forums saying they have bad experiences with Acanac, but most aren't accurate. I have been with Acanac for over 2 years

The CNOC has filed with the CRTC to ask for the tools and procedures which would greatly help their ability to service the end user.

I have had 2 small outages recently (Aug, and Nov), both lasting less than 30 minutes

Update Nov 9 My earlier outage had reoccurred within a few days, and have learned it was due to a failure at the Node level (where the boxes on the street converge which can serve several streets) was fixed about 12 hours later

I have recently upgraded to Zazeen IPTV with the Entone 500 STB

HD channel quality is the same as on cable or Satellite, the interface is clean and tidy, the basic channel package is amazing and keeps getting better (especially with the recent addition of the family package). All for 39.95 a month. Support has been exceptional thanks to both Paul and Sandro browsing the forum daily and acting on small issues quickly.

HD channels have gained a slightly higher bitrate, and have slightly better quality than that of Rogers or Fibe TV (at the highest quality) at approximately 5 Mbps per stream. SD quality should be fixed with a new firmware upgrade which is expected to be released soon.

Zazeen has been growing in popularity over the past few months, and Paul/Sandro have always acted quickly to solve problems which have occurred (sometimes within a few minutes)

Comments:
jkelso_1

join:2009-10-01
Newmarket, ON
·TekSavvy Cable

Not Accurate?

I am happy for you that you are not having issues. I do like the looks of zazeen and was hoping to get it and be done with Rogers. I thought it a much better offering than vmedia and their cloudtv instead or a proper PVR function like zazeen has. I had Acanac DSL years ago and it was good until there was a problem with the line after about 1.5 years. They had to get Bell involved. It took days to resolve. Can't blame Acanac for that. I only dropped them back then to get better speeds that cable offered over 6Mbps DSL I had at that time.

I do wonder how you can say "People are all over these forums saying they have bad experiences with Acanac, but most aren't accurate."

How do you know other people's experiences are not accurate? Mine was accurate, I know, I was there. I recently signed up with Acanac for cable this time and it did not go well. In fact it didn't even get connected. I know they and the other TPIA are at the mercy of Rogers and Bell but it was not Rogers that failed to communicate there was not going to be an install for me. It was Acanac that waited until I called looking for my missing service who then notified me.

shaddowdog

@69.158.132.x

Re: Not Accurate?

RIGHT stay away from this company. After 12 days I still have the same problem NOT CONNECTED. They have the worse service on mother earth. Still fighting with them to get back my money

Review by Jeffer71 See Profile

• Location: Consecon,ON
Good "Solid connection, Price, Unlimited Gigasmurfs, Free VPN, Free Storage, Free Static IP"
Bad "Tech support, Ticket System and Acanac Forums"
Overall "Price is Right Bob!"

Wife and I have decided to stick with Acanac for another year for our 2 connections. Feel much better knowing I can get better support on Acanac forum via Dslreports instead of having to call in and deal with 2 hour wait and risk getting a hang-up jockey.

Comments:

Review by Moradian See Profile

• Location: Scarborough,ON
Overall "WORST EVER"

I truly wish you had a review lower than "Bottom Line" because that is what that company is. I did not have any i/net entire month of March barring 6 days and they still charged me. I reported them to BBB. Suddenly they decide to refund me 9 months but now suddenly decide to prorate the charges and balance the refund, even though I had a firm rate contract with them. I have now reported them to CCTS, and hope they will look into this company, to ensure no one else goes through what I did. A year full of anxiety, stress, indignation, humiliation, frustration. They really take us customers for fools. It is about time CCTS or CRTC or someone should investigate how this company operates. They get our money upfront and then do not care whether you have internet or not. I moved to Teksavvy. Within 2 days they couriered and connected me and from thereon it has been smooth sailing. I chose the $24.65 plan and it is awesome. For all Acanac users, try Teksavvy. You will not regret.

They give you a CID (customer identification number). When you call, key in the number and you are connected to a Tech Supp so fast, it is amazing, awesome... courteous and knowledgeable. Best ever.

ACANAC .... I WANT A FULL REFUND FOR ALL THE FRUSTRATION AND HEARTACHE YOU PUT ME THROUGH FOR AN ENTIRE YEAR.

-------------------------------------------

My son bought this pkg for me, as a Mother's Day Gift. The contract states 365 days of continuous internet service. I have never had more than 10-15 days of internet service in any given month from the time we signed up. There has been no customer service support at all. Evening I go home, try the internet, does not work. Go up and down the basement stairs, trying to set and re-set the modem, with no avail. Tried calling their Tech Support. Takes them 40-50 minutes for someone to respond (if it is your lucky day). They are totally clueless with absolutely no inclination to help customers. When you get abrasive, they make you run some tests and if it still is not resolved, the quick response is, we will get someone to call you back. Don't fall for that because it will never happen. From 8 March I do not have internet and I have been writing to them daily. Monday, Ann L from Billing Department tells me she will get someone to call me. It is Thursday now I am still waiting. I have lodged a complaint with Better Business Bureau and also contacted Pat Foran of CTV, re this company. Please hold on to your hard earned money very tight. You would rather llive without an internet than live with all the frustration, anger and stress that this company has put me through.

Comments:
koreyb
Open the Canadian Market NOW

join:2005-01-08
East York, ON

mistake?

I think you marked them at 100% instead of 0% because of how negative this review is, surely they didn't get top marks
markie58

join:2009-04-24
Chateauguay, QC

Re: mistake?

?????Cost: $445 per month (12 month contract)?????
donkey

join:2008-04-08
·TekSavvy DSL

Defaluts are 100% She meant 0%

She posted in my review, and she seemed angry, very angry. But yet she does not seem to understand simple things as this review forum.

She is angry with Acanac, but didn't bother to click on the DEFAULT 100% ratings this forum uses as default.

If I understand her views, as per the response in my review, they would all have been zeros.

Review by morph69 See Profile

• Location: Penetanguishene,ON
Good "umlimited bandwidth 35/3 - faster than 6/1 dsl availible in penetang"
Bad "nothing as of yet"
Overall "fast, cheap and painless compared to dryloops from HELL Canada(yes hell) that always get shut off locally for no reason"

·FreePhoneLine
·Acanac
Had an issue with the modem being shipped when i ordered, day before install i called and they sent one asap - only took 3 days to show up at that point. delayed install a few days but i made my services overlap by a month in case of possible issues as in the past had a nightmare with 3rd party dsl providers coordinating with bell.. caused me to be down for two weeks. On a good note even though i rescheduled a rogers tech called me on day of install to conform that is what i wanted and a few hours later a call center employee called from rogers to conform that the tech had actually contacted me and arrange new time slot

These are the only modems they allow
Vendor- Rogers Network Model (HW version)

Huawei Huawei MT130U V100R001C01B071 HW Ver 1A
Technicolor DCM476 AC.02.50 HW Ver 2.1
Technicolor Technicolor DCM476 AC.02.50 HW Ver 2.0
Thomson DCM 475

I was shipped the Huawei - they have said it will have a warranty as long as i am their customer

Pre-payed for a year
total cost about 700 tax in
100 for a modem
50 for install (not needed but rogers insists.. so i insisted on a fresh drop to house)
10 to ship modem
39.95 a month when paying yearly (otherwise 42.95) so like getting a month free
Package purchased was 28 meg down 1 meg up
unlimited bandwidth
(during peak hours hours (7pm-12Pm downstream will be reduced to 14 MB/S)

service includes this stuff also
free 100 gig of online storage... free vpn account ... free ssh tunneling.. and a free voip line for the term of your commitment (wont really use any of it... but some might) another company i would recommend for voip is freephoneline.ca

Acanac only uses a few modems in rogers footprint to keep costs down (every modem they add and rogers charges $25,000 - as i looked around i wanted to get a motorala gigabit gateway with wireless n but realized it would not be an option - that sucked as i want to upgrade my network to gigabit anyhow... what do ya do... guess i'll find something newer that is ddwrt flashable anyhow

had internet for a few days now... getting 40 megabit off peak hours no problem... during peak hours (think 3-11pm) they are supposed to throttle you back to 14 megabit.. found speed test are very inaccurate compared to speed being delivered ... results show from 2-14 megabit but actual real world performance is rock solid 14 megabit with torrents and such ... much better than the 6 meg dsl line i have been stuck with... VERY happy with the switch

update : |March 1st, 2013
Been a few weeks service has had 100 percent uptime and speed as been a welcome addition in the house overall. |Even during peak times easily beating 12 megabit in real world (though speed test all say less- don't trust speed test actually download something)
I have even noticed my voip service has worked better with the better upload speeds than dsl i had previously.. |Just hoping we can get access to better upload in future |:|)

update : May 1st 2013
speeds are awsome... consistent service consistent too.. still have the throttle during peak hours... speedtest on dslr is inaccurate to real speeds on cable... speedtest.net is accurate ... can download at 30 megabits seconds no problem with torrents and good servers but java and flash on this site says i have a 5 megabit connection. While the connection is throttled during peak hours (by the company) it is never sluggish during this period at all and some night it is not throttled at all (when less overall subs are active i would assume)
My call quality for my voip is better than when i was on a dryloop and 2-3 months in now I am not aware of a single outage (btw i use a ddwrt router with back-up dns name servers from open dns and google so if there have been issues i would never know)

so have had the service for about a year now... had a day of outages on the rogers cable plant.
I order the new service package about a month ago now the 35/3... paid about 600 bucks (prepaid for the year) thats tax in and out the door. Initially had some issues with getting the speeds of the new tier... thought they had not properly set up new tier ended up being a qos setting in router.. once modified get full speed almost all the time (evenings sometime minor degradation)

[URL=http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3321015439][IMG]»www.speedtest.net/result/3321015···G][/URL]
»www.speedtest.net/my-result/3321015439
»www.speedtest.net/result/3321015439.png

Comments:

Fergless

Rate Limiting

Rate limiting has not started yet morph69
morph69

join:2001-09-03
Penetanguishene, ON
·FreePhoneLine

Re: Rate Limiting

I hate seeing all the flak you guys take around here... have given nothing but what you advertise to me thats why i update my review to give a fair portrayal on this board... been here 11 years and worked in the industry for years.... like some one to say I am a plant... they should not allow people to post reviews unless they are active members

Re: Rate Limiting

Tks for the update.

Review by magvet See Profile

• Location: Montreal-Nord,QC
Good "best canadian isp"
Bad "support"

im with acanac since 5 years and im really very satisfied.
i have the 11Mbps speed and also i have a free voip phone line with freephoneline.ca
so now i referred 10 customers to acanac and since 3 years i have free dsl service forever and free voip phone line forever also for 50$ (with freephoneline) ITS AMMAZING.
THANK YOU ACANAC I LOVE YOU.

Comments:

Review by avax See Profile

• Location: Toronto,ON
Good "Price is known up-front, no additional charges, no overages, just works!"
Bad "Move coordination is clumsy, sometimes slow responses to support requests, at mercy of large provider"
Overall "Worth every penny, I never worry about the service, get to pay for a year up-front and now have IPTV Service for far less!!"

Please note: I am NOT new to Acanac, in fact I was with them once before (DSL) and was less than impressed. Now, I've been with them for over a full year (Cable) and am VERY pleased.

Acanac is a reseller of service from the big guys (Rogers, Bell, etc). They offer what I would call - a no-nonsense way of doing business. I get what I pay for, it works, I don't have to think about a bill each month for internet (do for TV, but that's later) and I know that the underlying backbone is from a major provider (which is good AND bad at times).

While I don't think this reflects on Acanac (as it is a failing in the telcom industry as a whole) we had some issues with moving.

In the last year, we moved twice, and that is where the only annoyances came from, in that they are really at the mercy of the large providers. While I can't say I have actual proof, I honestly and very firmly believe that the large provider that my service is tied to, purposefully delayed my move date installs as well as cancelled/ignored at least one install date.

Overall, Acanac provides me with the service I need at a great price, with NO surprises.

The newest thing I have is Zazeen IPTV - $40 a month and I get WAY more than Rogers provides for $60. It is still in Beta, but very usable and a great service. We have two boxes running and looking to add a third, all running over the same 35/3Mbps pipe. Just awe-inspiring.

Thank you, Acanac, for being an honest and reputable provider. I'm glad to be a customer!

Comments:

Review by macuser007 See Profile

• Location: Maple,ON
Good "Price, speed, no caps"

Switched from Velcom DSL 5Mbps/800kbps to Acanac Cable 25Mbps/2Mbps service. Registered for Cable internet service online on date Dec 6, 2013. Received an confirmation email within few hours with the appointment of the installation & setup for cable on date Dec 18, 2013. Confirmation email also included my account information, created 5 email accounts for myself and family and using it without problem. Thats very helpful for me to switch my old email to the new email accounts. Received cable modem about a week later by mail. I setup the cable modem beside my router, prepared for Dec 18. On Dec 18 Rogers tech show up, I requested him to test the cable signal and made the cable connected to the modem, within 10 min he completed the job and left (basically he only made the connection between the cable modem to our cable splitter as I already completed the work). Then I switch the network cable from DSL modem to the Cable modem and changed my router setup. Internet service works as expected. Speed is 25Mbps/2Mbps. The transaction went smooth between Velcom DSL to Acanac Cable. I requested to cancel my Velcom DSL on Dec 1, 2013 and the service ended on Dec 31, 2013. Was planned to have approx. 10 days overlap internet service on both DSL and Cable in case having problem but everything went smooth without problem. Happy with the faster internet service as DSL fibe service not available in my area. Only complaint with Acanac is still unable to resolve with their SSH Tunnel service. Already created service ticket and got 2 respond but still doesn't work. Still waiting for another reply, wish the problem can be resolve.

Comments:
markie58

join:2009-04-24
Chateauguay, QC

Acanac

Join the Acanac community »community.acanac.com/acanac/inde···35bff1b7
Help is by users of Acanac and you may find a quick resolution to your SSH problem.