Northland Cable Television page on DSLReports

Review by jdponline See Profile

• Location: Coarsegold,Madera,CA
Overall "If there is no other choice"

Frequent service outages, recently learned Northland has no battery back up therefore the local power utility is an additional single point failure.
Power line maintenance left my business internet service down for about 4 hours until Northland could get a generator out to their equipment.
A very poor way to run any ISP.
They also advertise 12M Down and 2M up, never have seen anything close to this.
3 Years ago tried their cable TV service, very dependably every weekend at least 4 channels were down until Monday, gave up and switched to Dish.
They also keep sending ads by mail and in newspapers about their 24M and Phone service, when I tried to order told not available in this area.

Comments:

Review by sickofsoyo See Profile

• Location: Clemson,Pickens,SC
Good "Faster than DSL, Friendly Install techs, some HD channels"
Bad "Poor Quality analog TV, slow upload speed, no faster options"
Overall "Small market provider in college town, that about sums it up"

I have a 24 Mbit down and 2 Mbit up connection with Northland. During summer months while a bulk of the population is away from the area I was hitting speeds fine, Once the population returned however, speeds took a nosedive and I was lucky to see 2 Mbit down. I talked to support a few times and they sent information to network engineers and ever since I have been pretty stable at 24 since. While the speeds are now more stable, they just aren't enough for today's requirements. I easily keep my connection at close to 100% utilization 24 Hours a day. I host my own media server to stream content to wherever I am, I constantly use remote desktop connections and FTP file transfers to and from multiple servers and streaming and media in general. I wish I could get a higher speed package but worry if I could even get the faster speeds if they were advertised. The location I live though is rural and for them to run new fiber lines and replace large portions of the network just would not have a large enough return for them to do so, so I suppose for the moment atleast while I live here I am stuck. Other ISPs in the area include ATT U-Verse (not on my street, only DSL available on my street), Charter(Near but not within the town), and Clemson University(who I can easily see over 600 Mbit down and up on a gigabit connection testing with speedtest).

I have the Deluxe TV package and I would rate it mediocre at best. A majority of the channels are in Standard Definition with a few channels in HD. I am seriously considering cutting the cord and streaming from other sources such as Netflix and Hulu.

join:2014-01-06

Hello Neighbor! LOL

My folks live in the town next door (Pendleton) and they have just
the SD analog standard TV package. While some channels look decent, many are riddled with interference from crosstalk (perhaps from digital and internet signals) and even the main broadcast channels are improperly resized (WYFF 4) due to issues with the crappy headend OTA converter box they use to capture locals. I am certain that WYFF is in the "squeezed mode". LOL Many times there have been issues as well with WSPA 7, and WMYA 40.

The price is very high so it is not a good value, but in Pendleton as well, there is NO other choice except satellite for TV.

The price for Northland Cable internet is frankly outrageous and they only have one choice with no value oriented plans, so my parents have ATT DSL which is perfect for their needs and the price is reasonable.

SC is a very uncompetitive location for ISPs and Television providers, probably one of the very worst in the nation.
sickofsoyo

join:2014-04-07
Clemson, SC

Re: Hello Neighbor! LOL

Yeah, there really is no other option. They need to start rolling out fiber, even if its in select areas. A lot of people in the student apartment complexes constantly have problems and are lucky to see a quarter the advertised speeds. The television really is terrible and if you need higher speeds there really is no other choice.

Review by mormonjack See Profile

• Location: Horseshoe Bay,Llano,TX
Good "6 Month Promo ($50 for 24/2 Service); Even During Prime Time my speed never drops below 15m down"
Bad "Install took a little longer due to a failing line extender that my drop is tapped from"
Overall "Fastest and Cheapest internet in the Highland Lakes Region of Central Texas"

Went in person to order at the Office in Marble Falls. The sales rep was very friendly and explained everything in detail when I signed up. The tech was a little late but he had a lot on his plate that day and I was already off of work so it was no problem. Install went smoothly, but the speed was only about 1/2 of what I was paying for. Turned out, the line extender that my drop was tapped from was malfunctioning....a line tech came out the same day and replaced it. Since then, no issues. I can watch Netflix, surf on my laptop, play games on my tablet all at the same time with no issues. The one time I did have an outage (it was system-wide), full service was restored pretty quickly. All in all, a good deal for the money.

Comments:

Review by ke4pym See Profile

• Location: Ellenboro,Rutherford,NC
Good "High speed, out in the sticks."
Bad "High prices for said speed."
Overall "If you've got no other choice...."

10/2013 - Service is mostly solid. So long as a horse trailer doesn't take out a telephone pole.

-------

12/2011 - Went to check the speed packages, 6/1 no longer offered. 12/1 is now offered. Dropped by the office and it was a buck a month cheaper!! Signed up, few hours later, pulling speed tests of 11.54 down, 0.95 up. Not bad.

Reliability is pretty solid. Very few outages this past year. A couple of the outages were no fault of the cable company (rather, stupid drivers taking down phone poles).

-------
I've had the parents on this service for several years. They had the very basic 768/256 package. While it has been reliable overall, those speeds just aren't enough for today's web sites or multi-user/device house.

Upgraded them to a 6/1 package. $64/mo. Got home to see a 2.5/900 speed test. Gave national support a call. Eventually got pushed up to tier 2. They poked around, re-provisioned the modem and eventually put a call in to tier 3 that revealed a known issue.

Went to bed. Next morning, woke up to a 5/900 speed test. That's acceptable. Though, I'd rather see something closer to 5.7/950.

member for 10.1 years, 4942 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
hyelton

join:2008-02-29
Rutherfordton, NC

nctv

Yepp got itb2 weeks ago seen the ad in forest city. I'm surprised the way this area isbthat people are acutualty getting it besides just me
ke4pym
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC
·VOIPO
·ooma
·Verizon Broadban..

Re: nctv

While I was at the office, I did ask them about their DOCSIS3 upgrade plans. I was told they're working on it but it would probably be awhile before they were ready to roll it out to residential subscribers.

When I told them how long I've had D3 and the speeds I've had 50/5 and 30/5 they couldn't believe it. So, something to look forward too, I guess.

Review by overtimeman See Profile

• Location: Central,Pickens,SC
Good "Good value for the money on triple pay."
Bad "Analog Cable looks so 80's"
Overall "Been more than satisfied so far with overall service."

I've been a Northland user for five years now.When I bought a new TV I made sure it had a QAM tuner so I could get their free HD.It has the locals, the sports channels,food network and the E channel.Still have their triple play package and they have increased their internet to12/1.The phone service has been right up there with AT&T since they figured out the installer used the wrong gage of cable from the pole to the house.Even though the analog channels are well analog the 22 free HD channels more than make up for it.The internet service is great enough to stream two devices at one time and no caps yet.They even will sell you a Roku unit but I bought mine used off E Bay.So overall I am more than satisfied with Northland Cable out of Seneca S.C.Like everything else the price does increase but I feel I'm getting more than my moneys worth.If you have a problem their service department is always on time and that is rare these days!Well DARN they took ESPN off the free HD channels than came with the QAM tuner.Enjoyed seeing my Clemson Tigers Play in HD.Been thinking about dropping cable and telephone and just keep the internet and go back to Dish.

member for 7.8 years, 406 visits, last login: a few hours ago

join:2012-06-11

You are too kind. LOL

My folks live nearby and also have Northland Cable TV. They do NOT have their internet service because the price is outrageous!

Analog TV service is bad to horrible on many channels and customer service isn't too concerned if you are satisfied or not.

Northland is one of the worst second tier cable providers in the country. I continually see customers complaining about them often.
overtimeman

join:2006-11-11
Central, SC

Re: You are too kind. LOL

But it is the only high speed internet I can get so I have no choice.AT&T ran a fiber optic cable through our neighborhood in December 2009 but they have no idea when it will be running.So I make the best out of a bad situation.

Review by Jlaporta2000 See Profile

• Location: Mabank,Henderson,TX
Good "Even when not right better than CenturyLink"
Bad "Unreliable speed and no support for higher speed than 12 Mbps"
Overall "Laws need to be changed to allow competition"

Choosing to live in a rural community is almost a death knell for good Internet service. None of the "biggies" are here, Fiber runs 300 feet from my home but the technology used to deliver Internet is old-world technology. As a retired Optical Network Designer I am apalled.

I threw out CenturyLink after going to Texas Legislature fo force them to deliver service. Over a 2-year period they attained 86.4% uptime.

Northland has been doing better, however, over the past 3 months they have begun to be unreliable. Currently they are at 94% and I expect 5-Nines and faster speed. Cost is way to high compared to other choices. It appears my only hope will be WiMAX if we ever get it. Alternative is to move when the economy improves.

member for 9.5 years, 6 visits, last login: 1 year ago

Comments:
Jlaporta2000
join:2005-03-03

Updated to 2013

Service was updated to 12/2 Business Class Internet Service in 2010. Has generally been reliable, attainment of 98.4% uptime. In late 2012 and early 2013 began having drop out and low speed issues. In March 2013 forced Northland to replace integrated Voice/Data Modem Router (Arriss) with a stand alone Arriss Voice Modem and stand alone Motorola SBG658 - Both DOCSIS 3 devices. Still on DOCSIS 2 Nodes and backbone - Northland does not have the money budgeted to update. Demanded that the area GM call for corporate to fund the change to DOCSIS 3 and provide 20/4 services. Over the past 3 days service has on rare instances delivered 12/2 - and once again getting a max of 7 or 8 Mbps downlink tonight for the past 4 hours... dropping as low as below 1 Mbps download service.

Again, 5 Nines service is the standard nationwide, no expections that is stated in the TR's. I can live with my business getting 98% full performance, this week it's under 90%. Hopeful that they will fix it soon.
wirelessdog

join:2008-07-15
Queen Anne, MD

Re: Updated to 2013

Care to expand on what "standard" you refer to?

You demanding things accomplishes nothing except creating office humor.

No non-carrier class service will deliver 5 nines in the reliability department - at least not on this planet.
Jlaporta2000
join:2005-03-03

Re: Updated to 2013

There are several standards, the oldest one is a congressional record where all of the carriers agreed to provide that standard back in 1988. »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_availability loosely covers this.

Today my circuit is running 2/2 not 12/2 and thats with a new modem. Northland has much to learn about delivery of services. Unfortunately they are the only game in town because this county signed a consent decree that does not allow competition.

I am looking into multi-provider bonding as a possible solution now.
wirelessdog

join:2008-07-15
Queen Anne, MD

Re: Updated to 2013

I wouldn't doubt the rate you have treated them they are deliberately screwing with your line hoping you will cancel. I wouldn't blame them.

You are completely and totally incorrect about a "five nines" standard. You have no SLA and no SLA exists on a consumer product. Order a T1 and then you can preach about SLA's.

The ending of this story will be you with no Internet and blacklisted to never have Internet at least from that cable company.

Nobody likes a know it all - especially when they are sorely mistaken.

Review by mythology See Profile

• Location: Seneca,Oconee,SC
Good "Had NL service for years. They upgraded me to 6mb/1mb then to 12/2mb for free. Support been great. Connection very solid"
Bad "None i can think of."
Overall "If you are in the Seneca area i would go with Northland over AT&T. At&t you deal with people in India. Northland is local."

Despite the other reviews of Northland here on DSLR. I`ve had nothing but great experiences with them. I had 2mb service with them for years. Always had a constant speed and cannot think of any outages or slow downs on their part. Recently they pretty much upgraded me to the 6mb/1mb service for free. I find myself constantly getting up to 7mb down from usenet. The tech support is local to my area (Seneca) and the few times i have ever had a problem they get someone out here the same day.

I had considered at&t (formerly Bellsouth here) for my internet after having to get a land line for medical reasons. The whole Land Line install was a nightmare with at&t and the DSL hook-up i had ordered did not start out any smoother so i decided to stick with Northland.

If you are in the Seneca area you cant go wrong with Northland. You support the local business and if you ever have a problem you deal with a person you can understand and that is local. As far as i know they have no caps and my response times in games has been low and stable. At&t has uverse here now but considering how bad At&t`s tech support is i have decided to stick with Northland.

***Years Later****

Still with Northland. They upgraded me to the 12MB package at no cost. Speeds often slow at night and the cable goes out all the time. On the upside Tech support is extremely fast and they usually resolve any problems within hours. No caps, No hassles. They are suppose to be offering a 24Mbps residential package soon at no extra charge. The Oconee Focus Fiber project laid Fiber 30 yards from my house. At&t is fighting it with millions of dollars. Hopefully they fail and Oconee County will have more access to broadband.

Comments:

Review by gjrhine See Profile

• Location: Pawleys Island,Georgetown,SC
Good "speed increase"
Bad "occasional down time"
Overall "ok for rural area service"

»www.speedtest.net/result/1516480178.png

For some reason I now get 6 Mb/s service instead of the 2 Mb/s I got for the last 5 years here at our mountain condo in Sapphire Valley near Cashiers, NC. Nice boost indeed.

Now getting 7 Mb/s. Spring 2012

Comments:

Review by TylerCobb See Profile

• Location: Statesboro,Bulloch,GA
Good "Always on a very Low Latency great for gaming"
Bad "Don't have any Yet"
Overall "never been bogged down and great for the price"

I move to Statesboro about 3 years ago to go to college and started out with Frontier DSL. They were good for web browsing but could not handle gaming and that i what i do most. when i moved to a different apartment complex i was able to get them. I started out with the 2 mb down and 256 up. But about 5 month ago they up it the fastest residential speed to 6 mb down and 1 mg up. and of course i had to have it. I works great so far and i pretty much always have a 6 mb connection. What i love the most is that i have a 13 to 30 ms ping time constantly never higher and that anytime during the day. I have been exceptional pleased with them. They are highly recommenced

UPDATE 3/19/2012
I have since updated to the Turbo Premier 24 Mb / 2 Mb
even thought I don't always get the speed I can never tell the difference. Even when streaming Hulu and Playing Xbox at the Same time.

»www.speedtest.net/result/1844555751.png
»www.pingtest.net/result/59283356.png

Comments:

Review by firefoxrocks See Profile

Good "A few good general managers"
Bad "Need new blood"
Overall "Voice your opinion and they may fix it"

They need outside ideas but seem to rely on old school.