Cybersurf Internet Access page on DSLReports
No six month summary.
Closed to new reviews.

Review by elwoodblues See Profile

• Location: Toronto,ON
Good "Speeds matches 28/1 from Rogers"
Bad "Tech support is not 24/7"
Overall "Good value for a TPIA provider"

·VMedia
I've been with 3web/Cybersurf and now Distributel for about 4-5yrs.

When they were 3web the service was really bad, Distributel has bought the company cleaned up the mess and is now providing good service at a good value.

I still use a DOCSIS 2 modem, so I experience slowdowns in the evening, if you call 15mb slow. I'm sure if I bought a DOCSIS 3 modem, those slowdowns would disappear (node congestion).

All said and done, I'd take these guys over any DSL connection or even shudder.. Rogers.

member for 8 years, 3096 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by munky99999 See Profile

• Location: canada
Good "Cheap unlimited cable; defeatable/no traffic shaping"
Bad "reliability of line dependent on host; congestion peak hours."
Overall "Significantly better then dsl."

They have 3 offerings. Silver, Regular, Gold. I got regular.

I already had cogeco cable so nothing at all was required to do for the activation. Tech never had to do anything.

member for 10.4 years, 1238 visits, last login: 1.1 years ago

Comments:

Review by rogers_hmmm See Profile

• Location: Whitby,ON
Good "None"
Bad "Poor Customer Service really poor Phone service"
Overall "Absolute nightmare"

STAY AWAY FROM 3web cia phone. The company has poor customer service and the Phone service is absolutely horrible.
If you rely on phone service then this is not for you. If you don't care about your phone constantly having connection and loss of service issues then go for CIA Phone service.

I tried it its crap!!!! BE AWARE BAD BAD Product and Service!!!!

Comments:

Review by iggyor1 See Profile

• Location: Nepean,ON
Good "Cheap, uncapped, good when it's working"
Bad "Tech support is horrible"
Overall "Don't waste your time - stay away"

I changed phone providers from Bell to Rogers in March. The internet stopped working, so Cybersurf sent out a Bell tech to install a dry loop, to get the internet back up. Internet still wasn't working. Called Cybersurf the next day, they said that they'd dispatch another Bell Tech, and that they'd let us know what the timeframe was when found out. Surprise, surprise the Bell tech shows up the next morning unannounced to look at the issue. He finds that the signal is making it to the house, he'd let Cybersurf know and that they'd contact me. No callback the next day, nothing the next day either. I contacted them to find out what was going on. The tech agent I was talking with had no clue that the Bell tech had been to my place two days earlier, talk about lack of communication. She updated the file and I was told that someone from 2nd level support would call me within 4 hours. No callback that night. I called Cybersurf back the following night, got the same spiel from a different tech agent, "definitely you'll get a call back tonight". No callback that night either. I waited for a few more days and contacted them again. Asked for an update and was told that it was an internal problem, but agent couldn't elaborate on what I should do next. Do they fix it, do I have to call Rogers, Bell etc...when I informed him that I wanted to cancel he advised that it wasn't a problem. My billing date with Cybersurf is the 1st of every month, I cancelled on April 1st. Since it's a prepaid service I asked if I could get refunded my April 1st payment (Apr 1st to Apr 30th) I was told no, that according to their terms and conditions the cancellation has to be no later than the 15th of the previous month. I had been without internet since March 19th. No refund was issued. I dipusted the charged with my credit card company, I haven't heard back yet. In closing - don't waste your time. Go with Bell, Rogers, Videotron etc... Stay away from this company.

Comments:

Review by ad768 See Profile

• Location: North York,ON
Good "unlimited download, inexpensive"
Bad "poor download speeds during peek times"
Overall "inexpensive"

I have 3Web DSL service in the Willowdale area in Toronto, Ontario. I've had it for a few years now. The service has been up and down over that time. For the most part its been fast and reliable. Currently I get over 3Mbit/s download speeds during offpeak times (eg. 5am) but it goes down to 200 to 1000 Kbit/s in the evening. Its been like that for a couple of months now. I hope they fix it. Upload speeds are reliable at around 500kbit/s anytime. There are no download restrictions that I know of. I pay $25/month with long distance subscription. Without long distance I think it's $30/month.

Comments:

Review by complexity8 See Profile

• Location: Mississauga,ON
Good "Best price for the consistent 7Mbps (advertized 8Mbps) service with 60G cap"
Bad "It's getting better, but still a little bit of the growing pain"
Overall "The service is good, other than when Rogers screws up. But you will suffer the same even if you are a Rogers' customer."

I have been with 3Web since August 2007 - first just the cable Internet service and added the VoIP service on January 2008.

I have previously with Rogers, Bell Sympatico, and iStop (and back to Rogers after iStop went under). iStop was the only company that actually provide any decent level of technical support up to that point, and I love their "do not call unless you are technically competent" policy - well, the techs there speak geek instead of English which was perfect for folks like me. Rogers level 1 are absolute idiots who jerked me around for months and close tickets without resolving problems, I could only get intelligent responses on the odd chances where the calls were overflown to the level 2 people, and I finally decided to opt for a much slower service from Bell after they failed to give me steady/consistent Internet service for 4 months (I got about 5Mbps when my neighbors are not using the network, but it's mostly 1-3Mbps when it's not down) and the support manager (who I finally got on the call after I threat to write letter to someone in their senior management) failed to get the problem resolved even after a tech was dispatched. Bell service is steady, service is okay, but it's painfully slow (I could get only 1Mbps ADSL service, since my house is too far from the CO). Switched to iStop for better service. After iStop went under, I allowed Rogers to "win" me back with a nice offer (i.e. 24 months of free PVR rental, free high-speed cable modem, and some fantastic rates) and this time the service was at least available (think they finally cleaned up the network around my neighborhood in that 2 years I opt'd for DSL).

Then I heard about 3Web, and took the plunge after the 24-months of "win-back promo" is over, consider the access is practically Rogers (Rogers takes the traffics from my house and pass onto 3Web's IP network) but much cheaper ($30/month instead of $40, and I could use the modem that Rogers gave me out-right as part of the win-back) and no cap. The migration was a bit painful, but it was mostly Rogers' problem (you have to first cancel with Rogers, wait a couple of days, before you could turn up with 3Web) - no, you couldn't get through to 3Web's support reps during the day, but you only have to wait 20-30 minutes if you call at around 10pm EST. Life was pretty good since, and I am getting consistently 7Mbps 24x7x365.

After a few months of steady Internet service, I decided to move my VoIP from Primus to 3Web. This time, the turn-up was much less painful, other than they took a little more time to port the number over (think they might have forgot about it, until I reminded them - once), but that was no big deal since Primus was still providing service until the number is ported over.

And life goes on for the next 18 months. Over time, I noticed they added capacity to the VoIP network (the call quality is better and they added a SBC/Soft-Switch in Ottawa for Ontario customers) and the network is generally good other than a few times Rogers f*cked up (i.e. my cable modem could not connect to the Rogers' network) but those outage generally fix itself in a couple of hours as Rogers took care of complains from my neighbors. Meanwhile, I am enjoying my consistent 7Mbps performance and downloading 20-30Gs of multimedia content (as reported by my router) on a monthly basis without paying extra.

Yesterday, the network was flaky again - the modem was having a hard time getting connected to the network and the connection was very limited and flaky when it could from the morning till about 2pm when it just stop working altogether. Figure it's one of those temporal outages, I ignore it till about 7pm before I finally call Cybersurf to find out if they are aware of this problem and what they are going to do about it. Figuring it's going to be a long wait, I made sure my cell phone is fully charged before I dial and I set it on speakerphone mode when I do dinners with the family (the on-hold music is not half bad). Soon as I got into the "technical support" portion of the voice prompt, it tells me "we are experiencing higher-than-normal call volume right now, please wait and we will be with you shortly" - I went "okay, so there is a problem and I wonder how long it's going to take to get someone to answer this". Surprising, I got a live voice in about 10 minutes - a very friendly young men spoke perfect English politely took my information, do some basic troubleshooting (ah - yes, it's another Rogers problem...), opened a ticket with Rogers, and proactively booked me an appointment for on-site tech in case Rogers couldn't fix it remotely. Another lady from Cybersurf called me back in about 20 minutes advising me that Rogers could not honour the requested on-site service request and it would be couple of days than I would like - it sucks, but no point yelling at Cybersurf since they are at the mercy of Rogers tech's availability.

By around 9pm last night, I noticed the Internet has been restored and it has been solid throughout the night. Now, maybe Rogers fixed my problem with or without the ticket from Cybersurf (they might have fixed it as they restored service to my neighborhood), but it's noteworthy to mentioned the current level of customer service from Cybersurf. Trust me - it's a hell lot better than what I got from Rogers when I was their customers (and paying a premium for a more restrictive service).

Part of my experience might be influenced by the fact that I work in the Telecommunication industry in Canada and I understand the Internet service providers are often at the mercy of the "access" provider (in this case, Rogers) when it comes to service restoration - Rogers provide the layer-2 network access from my house to Cybersurf and unless Rogers do their part, there's little Cybersurf could help me. As a reseller from "access" from Rogers, Bell, and Telus, I think Cybersurf is offering a very competitive product with reasonable service.

No, this is not the crappy 3Web that ran itself to the ground anymore. Cybersurf does appeared to have done some good investment and renovation around the business it acquired. Give it a look if you are in the market for a competitively priced Internet service, or simply got sick of the crappy service you get from Rogers.

EDIT: I decided to push my luck and phone them to tell them the problem is resolved. And even more impressively, I got a live tech in less than a minute!

Comments:

Review by psangha See Profile

• Location: Thornhill,ON
Good "kept me informed during set-up, fine when it worked"
Bad "cant get through to support, uninformed staff"
Overall "try at yoru own risk. I diecided to pay a few $ extra for better service"

I read several reviews about CIA being quite poor from a tech support perspective, but I also read other reviews saying that they service was good - when it worked. I figured I didn't really need support from them - just provision my line, and i can do my own support.

Once I got up and running (via dry dsl) things were okay. The latency was all over the place, but I wasn't too concerned as I mainly use the service for email/www.

Then about a week later it stopped working and the modem wouldn't sync - line problem and I cant do anything myself so I need to call them for support. I called their support number. I waited in the queue. I wait in the queue for more than two hours. I gave up and tried again the next morning. Same story, only this time I was stupid enough to wait in the queue for closer to 2.5 hours. I gave up again until later the same evening. I waited about 45 minutes in the queue until I gave up for good.

I called on Monday and waited in their queue for about 10 minutes before getting a live body in the billing department. I told them I wanted to cancel. They asked me why, I told them the service was fine when it worked, but I dont want to risk having to wait in their queue again. They tried to convince me to stay, saying its odd for me to be on hold for so long since nothing was wrong with the service (really? then why the long wait times?!)

I asked for the balance of my money to be refunded for the unused portion of the month. This is when the guy in billing told me to read the terms of service and that he wasnt going to refund anything. I said I cant read the terms since I dont have service, email them to me and I'll read them on my blackberry. He refused. I asked why he wouldn't send them to me, he said he just didn't want to, and that I should go to somebody else's house or go to work and read them from there. I said thanks, and hung up.

A few days later I decided to take the billing guy up on his point about reading the terms of service, and noticed that they have a 30-Day Money Back Guarantee (»www.cia.com/whychoose.html).

I called the billing department back, told them my account info, and advised that I had canceled and wanted to know when they would be refunding my 1st month fee. The lady on the phone asked me what I was talking about. She had no clue. I informed her about the guarantee on their website. She paused for a few seconds, asked me if I would mind being placed on hold, and proceed to put me on hold for 3-5 minutes.

She came back and asked for some billing details, and told me they would refund my money....lets see if that actually happens.

Stay away. I wasted close to seven hours of my life in their queue.

UPDATE: they refunded the fee charged for the first month less the dry dsl costs.

Comments:

Review by s2087 See Profile

• Location: Richmond Hill,ON
Good "It's worth the money, acceptable service"
Bad "The service is not as good as bell or Rogers"
Overall "With money back guarantee, try the service"

After reading all the bad reviews about CIA, here is a good one. Ordering was easy, fill out the online form and get all the information, you have the option to buy the modem for $60 or rent it for about $5/month. At the end they will tell you how much the charge for the first month and then is. By the way, there is a 30 day money back guarantee. In 2 days, the registration username and password was emailed to me and the service was activated as promised time in 5 days from the date of order. Modem (Speedtouch) was shipped by Canada post at the right date as well. I used to be Rogers customer, and new to DSL, but installation was easy and for those who think it might be a hassle the shipment comes with an installation guide and a CD that all you have to do is just following the on screen instructions. There was also a follow up call from CIA support team to make sure everything was all right. You can setup a page at »myaccount.cia.com/ to manage your service and see detailed information about your monthly charges. So far there has not been any hidden charge. I was with Rogers so I know what a great and reliable service really means. You get what you pay for. The only problem about service is that it gets disconnected almost every 7-8 hours, but it’s back in 10 seconds. The speed is constant and there has not been a server down time so far.

Comments:

Review by john_02 See Profile

• Location: North York,ON
Good "Not throttled!"
Bad "Tech Support sucks!"
Overall "Saves money, but could be a pain in the ass if it goes down."

It's a value internet service provider with almost non-existent tech support.

Comments:

Review by f7 See Profile

Good "Had been a year with CIA, 3WEB. Connection was good during initial period."
Bad "Since November 2008 speed degraded to a halt due to Rogers newrok congestion. No improvement with technical support."

--0-1891767926-1232845402=:34112
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii

Very poor speed during evenings for months. Not sure worth while to stay with 3web or CIA if they could not fix it with Rogers. Overall, technical department is not capable to fix issues promptly and does not communication to their customers. CIA has not improve much in this department.

Francis

__________________________________________________________________
Ask a question on any topic and get answers from real people. Go to Yahoo! Answers and share what you know at »ca.answers.yahoo.com
--0-1891767926-1232845402=:34112
Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="0-1817868535-1232845402=:34112"

Content-Type: text/html; charset=us-ascii

Very poor speed
during evenings for months.  Not sure worth while to stay with 3web or CIA if they could not fix it with Rogers.  Overall, technical department is not capable to fix issues promptly and does not  communication to their customers.  CIA  has not improve much in this department. Francis
Instant message from any web browser! Try the new Yahoo! Canada Messenger for the Web BETA
Content-Type: image/gif; name="stat4812.jpg"