Cybersurf Internet Access page on DSLReports
Closed to new reviews.

Review by rogers_hmmm See Profile

• Location: Whitby,ON
Good "None"
Bad "Poor Customer Service really poor Phone service"
Overall "Absolute nightmare"

STAY AWAY FROM 3web cia phone. The company has poor customer service and the Phone service is absolutely horrible.
If you rely on phone service then this is not for you. If you don't care about your phone constantly having connection and loss of service issues then go for CIA Phone service.

I tried it its crap!!!! BE AWARE BAD BAD Product and Service!!!!

Comments:

Review by iggyor1 See Profile

• Location: Nepean,ON
Good "Cheap, uncapped, good when it's working"
Bad "Tech support is horrible"
Overall "Don't waste your time - stay away"

I changed phone providers from Bell to Rogers in March. The internet stopped working, so Cybersurf sent out a Bell tech to install a dry loop, to get the internet back up. Internet still wasn't working. Called Cybersurf the next day, they said that they'd dispatch another Bell Tech, and that they'd let us know what the timeframe was when found out. Surprise, surprise the Bell tech shows up the next morning unannounced to look at the issue. He finds that the signal is making it to the house, he'd let Cybersurf know and that they'd contact me. No callback the next day, nothing the next day either. I contacted them to find out what was going on. The tech agent I was talking with had no clue that the Bell tech had been to my place two days earlier, talk about lack of communication. She updated the file and I was told that someone from 2nd level support would call me within 4 hours. No callback that night. I called Cybersurf back the following night, got the same spiel from a different tech agent, "definitely you'll get a call back tonight". No callback that night either. I waited for a few more days and contacted them again. Asked for an update and was told that it was an internal problem, but agent couldn't elaborate on what I should do next. Do they fix it, do I have to call Rogers, Bell etc...when I informed him that I wanted to cancel he advised that it wasn't a problem. My billing date with Cybersurf is the 1st of every month, I cancelled on April 1st. Since it's a prepaid service I asked if I could get refunded my April 1st payment (Apr 1st to Apr 30th) I was told no, that according to their terms and conditions the cancellation has to be no later than the 15th of the previous month. I had been without internet since March 19th. No refund was issued. I dipusted the charged with my credit card company, I haven't heard back yet. In closing - don't waste your time. Go with Bell, Rogers, Videotron etc... Stay away from this company.

Comments:

Review by psangha See Profile

• Location: Thornhill,ON
Good "kept me informed during set-up, fine when it worked"
Bad "cant get through to support, uninformed staff"
Overall "try at yoru own risk. I diecided to pay a few $ extra for better service"

I read several reviews about CIA being quite poor from a tech support perspective, but I also read other reviews saying that they service was good - when it worked. I figured I didn't really need support from them - just provision my line, and i can do my own support.

Once I got up and running (via dry dsl) things were okay. The latency was all over the place, but I wasn't too concerned as I mainly use the service for email/www.

Then about a week later it stopped working and the modem wouldn't sync - line problem and I cant do anything myself so I need to call them for support. I called their support number. I waited in the queue. I wait in the queue for more than two hours. I gave up and tried again the next morning. Same story, only this time I was stupid enough to wait in the queue for closer to 2.5 hours. I gave up again until later the same evening. I waited about 45 minutes in the queue until I gave up for good.

I called on Monday and waited in their queue for about 10 minutes before getting a live body in the billing department. I told them I wanted to cancel. They asked me why, I told them the service was fine when it worked, but I dont want to risk having to wait in their queue again. They tried to convince me to stay, saying its odd for me to be on hold for so long since nothing was wrong with the service (really? then why the long wait times?!)

I asked for the balance of my money to be refunded for the unused portion of the month. This is when the guy in billing told me to read the terms of service and that he wasnt going to refund anything. I said I cant read the terms since I dont have service, email them to me and I'll read them on my blackberry. He refused. I asked why he wouldn't send them to me, he said he just didn't want to, and that I should go to somebody else's house or go to work and read them from there. I said thanks, and hung up.

A few days later I decided to take the billing guy up on his point about reading the terms of service, and noticed that they have a 30-Day Money Back Guarantee (»www.cia.com/whychoose.html).

I called the billing department back, told them my account info, and advised that I had canceled and wanted to know when they would be refunding my 1st month fee. The lady on the phone asked me what I was talking about. She had no clue. I informed her about the guarantee on their website. She paused for a few seconds, asked me if I would mind being placed on hold, and proceed to put me on hold for 3-5 minutes.

She came back and asked for some billing details, and told me they would refund my money....lets see if that actually happens.

Stay away. I wasted close to seven hours of my life in their queue.

UPDATE: they refunded the fee charged for the first month less the dry dsl costs.

Comments:

Review by demne See Profile

• Location: Carp,ON
Good "none"
Bad "support sent passwords to wrong accounts"
Overall "do not use"

Absolutely the worst service.

I take care of a friends company’s website, I made changes to it on Jan18th and they were live. At some point in the next couple of days all changes were lost – like a server crash and roll back to last known good.
Re-uploading the changes did nothing.

Tried contacting support via e-mail – nothing after 8+ days
Phone support resulted in a email response a couple of days later. Now here is the worst part, the email response that was sent was for two other websites totally unrelated to me in any way – Password included!

Comments:

Review by gachod1 See Profile

• Location: Ontario
Good "Cheap, does not seem to charge Band rate"
Bad "Everything else"
Overall "Avoid like the plague"

I originally was with Sympatico up until October '06, wheny my promo expired and the rate was going to get jacked to 50/month. I was getting 3008 kbps down and 800 kbps up, which is what Sympatico had told me was the limit for my line. The service was fine but billing, and now the new rate, were not.

I then called to sign up for what was then Cyberus, an Ottawa based company. I was told that they were merging with another company and could offer me 3web service with unlimited bandwidth for $29.95 plus tax. It sounded to good to be true, and it was.

I originally received the same speed that I had with Sympatico, but noticed that my connection would drop/resync often. I called many times and eventually my speed was capped at 2496 kbps down and 640 kbps up. That seemed to work for a while up until a few months ago when my connectiona again began to drop/resync. I was given some of the lamest excuses you will ever hear, from my modem being defective (same modem that was getting good speed with Bell), my line was causing too much noise/my line filters were faulty (I have a dry loop connection, so that isn't even possible), that I was too far away from the CO (Central Office... again, not possible, since I was in the same apartment - unless the CO moved), and the final straw was that my 'loop is too long' (what does that even mean). Anyhow they dropped my speed down to 1184 down and 384 up, almost a third of the speed I had with Sympatico before switching over.

For more reviews like this one, look up 3web on here and on CanadianISP.com. This company has an absolutely abysmal reputation. I only wish I had considered that before switching to them. Someone had told me that all ISPs that offer ADSL are the same since they all use the same Bell lines. Suffice it to say that I have learned that this is not the case.

Comments:

Review by gdewhurst See Profile

• Location: Cambridge,ON
Good "Last year in a different city it was reliable and at 3900/680"
Bad "After 6 months, days on the phone, countless emails - 0 service"
Overall "Changing to someone else very soon!"

checked around for best pricing
ordered 3Mb DSL, got 3Mb DSL but line dropped every 15 - 20 minutes
Order took forever - due to move - 45 days after order - ordered 2 times
System reset 3 times so far, Bell fixed line 2 times
No Support - $200 in cell phones charges waiting for support at 8 in the morning till noon for several days.
They have no support and don't really care!
After 20 plus emails, and 12 weeks line is almost stable and running at 850/320 not 3MB DSL!
Changing to someone else!

member for 10.7 years, 116 visits, last login: 6.5 years ago

Comments:

Review by lewdvig See Profile

• Location: Calgary,AB
Good "Includes VoIP and lots of call features"
Bad "Promises 5 MBP, but best case is 2.0, tech support was not very helpful"
Overall "No contract, so I will be switching to something else"

Shaw service on the same line was more reliable.