Cybersurf Corporation page on DSLReports
No six month summary.
Closed to new reviews.

Review by Roop See Profile

• Location: Ottawa,ON
Good "Cheap and fast (during non-peak times)"
Bad "1mbit downloads during peak time"
Overall "You get what you pay for"

For $45.95 I get uncapped, unthorttled 15/1 cable internet with VoIP home phone. I was paying Rogers $62 + $15 to another VoIP company before. Rogers also charged me $25 each month where I exceeded my bandwidth cap. So this provider is really CHEAP.

Good:
Their IP addresses are persistent (lasts several months)
Price well bellow competitors for internet+voip
15mbit down, 1mbit up, the upstream is always there
Latency typically between 50-80ms for Steam games.

Bad:
The bandwidth fluctuates during peak times. I find that the fluctuation is not as bad to usenetserver.com compared to speedtest.net.
Tech support wait times (pray you don't need them!). I did need my voicemail email address changed recently and this was done in one day. While it wasn't a complicated request, they did manage to do it correctly and promptly.
VOIP modem requires a highly configurable router if you want to NAT it (static outbound port natting needed) which other VOIP providers don't care about.

member for 10.8 years, 1968 visits, last login: 151 days ago

Comments:

Review by jyeung See Profile

• Location: North York,ON
Good "Cheap pricing - $39.95/moth for CIA Home Phone and Internet. Good speeds for some people (like myself)."
Bad "Sometimes long hold times. Unreliable/overloaded network for some people."
Overall "Hit or miss. You can take a chance and you'll either get good service or unusable service."

I got CIA Cable installed a few weeks ago. Ordered the Home Phone Premium with Free High Speed Internet on their website to test out their service. Shipment was fast - got the cable modem (Motorola SB5101) for $60 + $19.95 shipping in a few days. There is a $50 installation fee if you do not already have Rogers internet.

I live in a Rogers area and they have since stopped selling cable internet as the network is at capacity. Good idea, IMO - they really shouldn't saturate their network more.

Speeds are decent - they promise 7Mbps, but I get a range between 4Mbps-7Mbps. This is contrary to what many other people have experienced - so it's a hit or a miss.

The CIA Home Phone (VoIP) quality is good as it is doesn't go to the internet, only through the CIA network. Works pretty well - I have a Asterisk PBX which connects to their SIP server to terminate calls. Here is a traceroute to their VoIP server:

Tracing route to cms1.tor.cia.com [216.58.0.51]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 1 ms 1 ms 1 ms buffalo.setup [192.168.1.1]
2 10 ms 8 ms 8 ms 10.110.84.1
3 * * * Request timed out.
4 8 ms 9 ms 7 ms p2-0.bbr01.gta.avalonworks.net [216.58.96.162]
5 11 ms 10 ms 10 ms p1-0.bbr01.nyc.avalonworks.net [216.58.96.161]
6 10 ms 10 ms 11 ms cms1.tor.cia.com [216.58.0.51]

Trace complete.

Customer service, believe it or not, has actually been good. I've had one long hold time (45min+) but most of the time they pick up in less than 10 minutes. I was pretty surprised since the last time I used them they took hours to pick up the phone.

I haven't used them long enough to give an accurate review, so I will be sure to come back and update after a bit. I can't grade them on connection reliability just yet.

*** Please note that this review is only my experience thus far. Others have had horrific experiences, so be warned if you try them out. ***

UPDATE: 25/04/09: Service so far has been quite good. Consistent 6.8 Mbps download speed. Happy so far.

UPDATE: 07/05/09: Speeds still very, very good. As can be seen here:
»www.speedtest.net/result/468181705.png

That is with a Slingbox already using the connection.

UPDATE: 22/05/09: Called in and asked about upgrading my conection. Was quoted an additional $5 to my CIA Home Phone Premium for a Platinum speed connection (10Mbps down, 1Mbps up). Got upgraded a few days ago, getting around 9.3-9.4 Mbps. Very happy so far. The home phone quality has been fantastic as well.

member for 10.5 years, 473 visits, last login: 1 year ago

Comments:

Review by Neutron See Profile

• Location: Toronto,ON
Good "CHEAP"
Bad "Long customer service wait"
Overall "Good if you know how to set things up"

I saw the cheap service that CIA was offering and decided that Rogers was way too overpriced for me. It took a LONG time for things to get set up. The customer service rep I was talking to messed up my order and put in the wrong postal code so my modem took a week longer than usual to come and I had to call them several times to inquire about the status. I also signed up for their voip package so the entire week I was waiting for my modem without internet I also didn't have home phone service so I'd have to cell them on my cell to find out what was going on and I'd have to wait AT LEAST half an hour to get to someone. Maybe once or twice I got through to someone after 10 minutes and I notice sometimes when I called they'd have a pre-recorded message about the status of their service something like "Issues with internet in Ontario have been resolved" or "phone service has now been restored in...." making me think that service disruptions are quite common with this company but now that I have everything up and running I've yet to experience an outage and I'm hoping that I don't have to ever call. Their reps on the phone don't seem to know much about what to do. Often times I'd explain to them my roblem and they'd put me on hold to ask someone. Which makes me think they have no more knowledge than any other person and only one person there really knows what's goingn and they all have to ask that one person everytime something happens that they can't figure out. The internet and phone service isn't any worse than what I had with Rogers though so in the end I guess it was all worth the trouble for the low price I'm paying.

Comments:

Review by gdewhurst See Profile

• Location: Cambridge,ON
Good "None"
Bad "NO speed, drop line , now getting DNS errors - Yahoo!"
Overall "Only if you are really troubled!"

Liked the initial speed - 3.8M. Never dropped the line.
Moved and went to dry DSL which is a fixed link -
line drops 3 - 10 times per day, has jitter on it - have to reboot the modem constantly, speed is 1.4 Mb down adn 434 Up. New change is they have added Yahoo last week.
Now constantly get Yahoo DNS errors on sites - think they are running out of bandwidth and stop you from getting to where you want to go. DSLreports for example - been DNS error 5 - 6 times in one day - ?? never seen it before.
Constantly running into slowdowns and then reboot modem to get better connection.
No Support - last time took 12 hours on telephone then got questionaire! DUh
Going someplace else where they have service and support and constant speed
Been with them for about 18 months and have had "new service" installs 4 times this year to correct problems - never had this before on other DSL's

member for 10.4 years, 116 visits, last login: 6.3 years ago

Comments:

Review by ipkamfay See Profile

• Location: Scarborough,ON
Good "Relativly Cheap"
Bad "Slower service, technical support unsupportive"
Overall "A good resort if you know what you're doing and don't mind waiting for internet"

Initially (up to 3 months after subscription) the service was horrible, dropped lines, slow connections.. inconsistent connections.... so bad I went back to my dial up for a while... then they got things running... been running ok since then... rarely dropped lines.... but i still havn't gotten the 6mbps i was promised... I get on average about 2 down and 300k up... not bad... but not what i was promised either... but these days when do u get what your promised? Did I mention their technical support team consists of one guy who doesn't know all that much putting up with a myriad of angry customers?

Comments:

Review by nate518 See Profile

Overall "Stay away until they fix their act."

I have been with 3 Web for years now and actually don't have much to complain about. There are the odd down times or when I have to refresh my modem by shutting it down and waiting 20 seconds then plugging it back in. But that has not happened for months.

My girlfriend though has left Bell due to the price and joined 3Web (Now Cybersurf) because of the price and good past I have had with it.

This site would have been handy a month ago.

She called them up at the begining of Sept 2007 and it took quite awhile to get ahold of someone, when she finally did the CSR (Customer Service Rep) told her it would be activated on the 18th of September so when Bell disconnected 3Web would be active the next day.

She did nothing as the CSR told her things will go fine. The 18th rolled around and she had no internet the whole day. She then called and they said the note on their system from the CSR she spoke to said "NOT" to activate the account. And she asked if they could and they said they will get right on it. 2 Days past and still nothing, she called again (and mind you the tech support lines take forever to get through try calling late at night or any kind of 'off' time where people are sleeping or at work, you MIGHT get through).

She finally got someone and they said they had to send a ticket to Bell to flick the switch, there was not much she could do so she let it slide. She kept calling them each day to keep on top of things and it got messy. They kept blaming Bell for not responding to their ticket, then finally one CSR told her the day it would be active because Bell replied to them so she waited.

The date they said it would be active it still was not, she called Cia (Cybersurf) and they told her her account was on suspension due to "lack of payment" she then asked how that is possible since the payment is coming off a credit card and they had no answers for her and gave her the run around.

Now we hit Oct 1st when everything should be going properly, it still isnt they had to "resend" another ticket to Bell now that her payment has gone through and it would be till Thursday (Oct 4th). One week without internet again to add to the weeks of being without it.

Finally on the weekend nothing is active. She asks to speak to a supervisor and when she finally gets one the lady says she will be refunded 60+ dollars for the mistake and they are stepping the ticket up a level and speeding up the problem hours later her internet is up and running.

But now she is in a problem where the internet is not stable, every few hours it losses it's connection and the internet is down. She called many times and tried to ask them why it is going down constantly and they have no answers for her. She then gets a Master Card bill of $114 for the first month, and that whole month from Sept. 18th she never had internet until Oct. 8th and even now it only runs for about an hour then is down for 3 or 4. She will be cancelling them as this is too much for anyone to take.

I wanted to leave them as I saw the amount of frustration they gave her and was mad beyond belief as lets face it, they don't care. Once the CSR's get you off the phone you are no longer their problem. 3Web was not so bad but it looks to me like since Cybersurf bought them out they have gone downhill. In all honesty I have no problems with them but others are having nothing but problems. I guess each area will have their own problems with different services. I live in Mississauga and I seem to be problem free right now. She lives in North York and is basically without an ISP because of the terrible service.

If you are in and around North York, avoid 3Web (Cybersurf, CIA) if possible.

I know internet can be expensive but maybe spending a bit more (for now) would be a better bet.

(*Tips for 3Web never speak to a CSR always ask or a supervisor as they seem to be more polite and if they cannot answer a question they don't seem to lie, don't lose your cool with them as they are human too and if you lay out your situation they may sympathize with you and understand the trouble you're going through.)

Hope this story will help anyone avoid a problem with ISP's in the future.

• Location: K1N6B
Good "Almost 99.99% up time"
Bad "Infinite hidden charges and ZERO phone support"
Overall "3web/Cybersurf/Cyberus has become one giant money grabbing scam corporation"

A few expressions to express the quality level of their barely legal
"unlimited" ADSL high speed service:

- Hidden $ 50.00 ADSL line activation fee
- Hidden monthly surcharges (you will NEVER see the $ 29.95 + tx
advertised service charge)
- Non-existent tech and billing support (phoning exactly at 8:00 AM
EST is the only way to MAYBE reach a human being)
- Blatant dishonesty: false promises of refunds, false excuses
including a verbal statement indicating their MANY web sites and
sister company web site are outdated

Avoid at all costs!

(review was emailed from domain 3web.com)

Comments:

Review by gachod1 See Profile

• Location: Ontario
Good "Cheap"
Bad "Everything else"
Overall "Avoid like the plague"

I originally was with Sympatico up until October '06, when my promo expired and the rate was going to get jacked to 50/month. I was getting 3008 kbps down and 800 kbps up, which is what Sympatico had told me was the limit for my line. The service was fine but billing, and now the new rate, were not.

I then called to sign up for what was then Cyberus, an Ottawa based company. I was told that they were merging with another company (which would eventually become Cybersurf) and could offer me 3web service with unlimited bandwidth for $29.95 plus tax. It sounded to good to be true, and it was.

I originally received the same speed that I had with Sympatico, but noticed that my connection would drop/resync often. I called many times and eventually my speed was capped at 2496 kbps down and 640 kbps up. That seemed to work for a while up until a few months ago when my connection again began to drop/resync. I was given some of the lamest excuses you will ever hear, from my modem being defective (same modem that was getting good speed with Bell), my line was causing too much noise/my line filters were faulty (I have a dry loop connection, so that isn't even possible), that I was too far away from the CO (Central Office... again, not possible, since I was in the same apartment - unless the CO moved), and the final straw was that my 'loop is too long' (what does that even mean). Anyhow they dropped my speed down to 1184 down and 384 up, almost a third of the speed I had with Sympatico before switching over. After weeks of trying to get them to at least get it up to at least 2496 kbps, which is what I had before, and not getting a response. I cancelled.

The stuff that people write about not being able to get through to customer service doesn't give you the full extent of the problem. They don't even put you on hold most of the time (short queue), and just tell you to call back later. You could keep getting that message for days on end sometimes. It once took me a whole week of calling several time a day to finally get someone. Horrific.

For more reviews like this one, look up 3web on here and on CanadianISP.com. This company has an absolutely abysmal reputation. I only wish I had considered looking up reviews before switching to them. Someone had told me that all ISPs that offer ADSL are the same since they all use the same Bell lines. Suffice it to say that I have learned that this is not the case.

Comments:

Review by digigeek See Profile

• Location: North York,ON
Good "Consistent throughput; low cost; average reliability."
Bad "There is no technical support whatsoever."
Overall "This is an excellent service for the technically self-sufficient."

The version of their service which I use is based on the Rogers Cable Internet Service, but uses the Cybersurf Servers.

This is a very cost-effective service since I own my modem and avoid an extra $5 per month rental fee.

They include a form of email, but it is better avoided since there are more robust versions available through Yahoo or Google.

Installation and repair requires co-ordination with a reluctant third party, namely Rogers, and therefore it is neither fast or efficient. If you ever require technical support, just call a friend.