Uniserve page on DSLReports

Review by ersterhernd See Profile

• Location: Canada
  • Telco party Telus
Good "Solid Connection. Reasonable Price. Fast Speed. Static IP."
Bad "None to speak of."
Overall "Recommended ISP."

Quick summary of my 10+ year Uniserve experience at this link...

»Uniserve Communications

Comments:

Review by aliciag See Profile

• Location: Tulsa,Tulsa,OK
Good "nothing"
Bad "Customer Service and Billing"
Overall "I just wanted to move my service"

This is the worst possible customer service I have ever had. I moved on the
15th and they were supposed to switch me over to my new house. A tech came
out and said that the lines were cut so they would have to put in a service
call to have someone come out in 5 business days and put in a new line. 1
week later I didn't hear anything so I was on the phone for 2 hours only to
find out they scheduled me the following week to have someone dig a
line.**** they bumped me up a day sooner so I was supposed to have service
Jan 29th but then it rained this day so I got a call on the 29th saying
that they rescheduled me for the very next day and that all I have to do is
plug in and I am good to go.... 30th no internet. no dig. no call. I called
today only to hear that it was because of my lawn they couldn't dig. I
don't have a lawn. Then they got back on the phone with me and told me it
was because of the weather. There was no rain and no weather.... Then they
said they don't know why it didn't happen but they can't hook me up until
NEXT TUESDAY! OK a little background people.... I WORK FROM HOME. I NEED MY
INTERNET TO WORK FROM HOME!!!!!! I asked the guy "what happened to Friday
or Monday why do I have to wait until Tuesday" His response.... "I don't
know" The next thing I will have to deal with is them billing me for the 21
days + that I don't have service and they will tell me to pay it and then I
will get a credit.... I will get the credit after being transferred several
times to several different call centers and several different people that
can't speak English and tell my story to at least 4-5 different people to
still never see a credit for the days I didn't get service because of their
stupidity. WHO THE HELL WANTS THIS CRAP!!!! I am changing as soon as I can.

Comments:

Review by LoneCyclist See Profile

• Location: Montreal,QC
Good "reasonably stable connection"
Bad "unreliable customer support"
Overall "bad surprises await"

·ELECTRONICBOX
I've been with their no-contract 5mb/800k service for $29.99 since 2008 that makes it 3 years, have had speed issues at hook up and it took a couple of weeks to solve. Otherwise I rarely ever had to call their customer support as it's pretty unreliable.

The dsl itself was ok, from time to time their dns server just completely failed, but in those cases I just used the opendns ip. At another time I had a problem connecting, had to call them, they were too clueless to solve my problem and promised to send me one of their free modems but never did. In the end I solved the problem on my own and it had nothing to do with the modem so I didn't insist but this is typical.

Moral: whatever it is they said, call twice to make sure.

The ultimate support issue occured when I recently attempted to cancel my account with them (as I decided to switch to teksavvy) they just basically ignored my requests and kept pushing some other of their services instead. I suppose this is some ingenious form of crookery or extreme nonchalance: to pretend the client never contacted them, and that the company's dog ate the paper on which the cancellation reference was written, and that they had no other honest choice but to keep charging my credit card.

In short: disorganized, ineffectual support system, very cheap management; the network infrastructure is ok, in 3 years with them disconnects were rare.

• Location: L9T3P
Good "cheap"
Bad "irreliable, ignorant, inept customer service"
Overall "AVOID!"

Uniserve review

Interesting situation.

19 months ago I phoned Uniserve to tell them I was moving. I had DSL with a dry loop phone line and moved within town. Oddly enough I plugged in and had internet at the new house. All my bills from Uniserve reflected my address change. About a month ago my internet was shut off. Uniserve customer service suggested there could be a problem with the wiring or with my modem. I bought a new modem. After this didn't work I phoned again and then they told me that for the past 19 months they were still providing service to my previous address. I asked in what world would it be possible that if I phoned to tell them I was moving that I would also still somehow want residential internet service provided to the place I left. This is not an easily answered question of course. They then concluded that they had tried to connect to my new location but there weren't any ports available in my area; and then they hadn't tried to reach me about it for 19 months. Oddly enough I was getting free internet from Bell because they in turn didn't shut their line down from the previous owner at the new location.

I had paid 43.95 monthly 19 times without any service provided or customer service that worked. I asked for a refund. They hummed and hawed like I had just told them I moved yesterday. I thought that they had agreed to refund me the last month and today I got a cheque for a discounted 33.84. These guys are jerks. At this point the principle of this mess is key. If anyone knows how to collect from these trolls I'd love to know. AVOID AVOID AVOID Tek Savvy were far more helpful on the phone than these turkeys.

(review was emailed from domain gmail.com)

Comments:

Review by SWJunkie See Profile

• Location: Courtenay,BC
  • Telco party Telus

Tech service when required seems good.

Comments:

Review by bbdhomer See Profile

• Location: Scarborough,ON
Good "Excellent customer service. Best bang for buck. No caps."
Bad "Bell's infrastructure: Constant throttling, Lack of 'higher tier' tech support, Speed limitations."
Overall "If you have a budget under $40 to get 5MBps, ONLY surf in non-peak hours and can endure throttling, this one's for you."

I have been with Uniserve for the past 5 years. (Before they were called Inter.net).

For the past 4 years before all this UBB nonsense became a phenomena, I had a pretty smooth experience with this company. Great 24/7 customer service, good speeds, no throttling and consistent performance overall with 99.8% uptime (2-3 days in a year downtime? that was awesome). Best of all, NO CAPS **

**[On their website, they might say that there's a 75GB cap being implemented - but its been confirmed as of Feb 6th 2011, that caps have not been applied onto any new or old accounts]

Just recently Bell started to throttle my connection heavily. The sad disadvantage of being a wholesale customer is that there's literally nothing in their hands to stop Bell from doing this.

Current situation: my regular speed has been reduced from 4.3Mbps to 600Kbps download, while upload has been consistent on 401Kbps -- this has been going on for about 2 months now. It happens on Weekdays 4pm to 1am; then goes back to regular speed. And on Weekends 12pm to 8pm. This has driven me NUTS. Cannot stream anything at all, nor download stuff during the day. I am missing my lectures (taking online classes) and is leaving me far behind in my studies. I have to stay up late at night to perform all the browsing/downloading that should have been (and conveniently) done during the day.

My first course of action was to ask Uniserve what they can do for me. After the 'default' inspection and troubleshooting steps done on my internet, they concluded to send a service ticket to Bell for line inspection. After a day or so, Bell recommended a new modem. Uniserve sends out these modems from a brand called "Zoom" - really bad modems, but since I have been with them for ages they sent it out for free. I received a new modem only to discover that its 'the same damn modem' as my current one.

Regardless, I installed the new modem - throttling is even WORSE now. Download speed on them 'peak hours' doesn't go beyond 500Kbps while upload stays the same! I have been calling them back and forth and requesting updates on the ticket, Bell - being the lazy panzies that they are - haven't been frequently checking up or updating these tickets.

Due to lack of speed upgrades, explanations, and service from Uniserve, I have decided to move on from them to another ISP/Technology: Teksavvy/Cable.

In the end, I'd say Uniserve is a great company, just too bad they have to piggyback on Bell.

Comments:

Review by toffy See Profile

• Location: Montreal,QC
Good "Good service/follow-up, no caps, No downtime"
Bad "Terrible throttling from Bell, clueless tech support"
Overall "Useless"

I have been an happy camper for the past 5 years, initially cruising at 4Mbps. Until about a month ago, I discovered a significant drop in my Internet connection. 48 hours after sending a ticket to Bell tech my connection got even worst, I am now at around 900kps during peak hours. My guess is that Bell is on Uniserve customers throttling their connection. Uniserve Tech Support is clueless or fake not to know anything about it.

Comments:

Review by jerry666 See Profile

• Location: Piedmont,QC
Good "reliable"
Overall "no problems in 12 years"

free modem , at the time $29.00 a month for 5Mbps only had 2 downtimes in 10 years . Still $29.00 a month , no free modem .Still very reliable , zero downtime , good stable connection .

Comments:

Review by gogu See Profile

• Location: Kitchener,ON
Good "Unlimited"
Bad "1-2 times/year down"
Overall "Good value for the $"

Been with ca.inter.net in the KW Ontario area for about 3 years. After modem rental and taxes its about $35/month no contract.

In these 3 years i've noticed the service go down for longer periods of time about 1-2 times a year. I've had the modem die on me once before and now its no longer able to log in, so the techs walked me through on how to bridge the modem, and log in via my router. I've heard a lot of great things about Teksavvy, who i actually use for phone service, but have been reluctant to switch over because ca.inter.net has been pretty good overall. Speeds are around 500KB/sec down, and 75KB/s up. Torrents are throttled, but as far as i know most ISPs are, even teksavvy unless you bond.

Tech support help, knowledge, friendly 10/10

Uptime 9/10

Price 9/10

If they cap or longer downtimes, i will move.

Comments:

Review by gpzal See Profile

• Location: Abbotsford,BC
  • Telco party Telus
Good "Good advertising and pre-sales service"
Bad "everything after they hook you"
Overall "Talk is cheap, and thats all you get."

**BEWARE UNISERVE WILL SCAM YOU.***

Keep records of everything you do with them get everything in writing.

I ordered Uniserve's Unibox service 3.0 adsl and digital phone with unlimited NA calling for $60/month on Feb. 22nd and canceled my telus dry adsl the same day. I was told by both parties that it would be around Feb.29th-Mar3rd that the switch over would be final. I was ok with waiting just over a week it all sounded good, on Feb.29th my telus service was shut off and uniserve had a modem in the mail to me I received the modem a thomson speedtouch st780wl on mar.3rd. but no service many many calls to tech support after them telling me its telus' fualt and I need to call them so I do and I am told by telus that I am not a customer and they won't talk to me this kind of BS and buckpassing has gone on the whole 6 weeks + their hardware has never worked yet but on mar.31st the service actually worked (after a telus feild tech came out) so I ended up using a 2wire from telus to atleast use half my service. It is april 8th and I am still waiting for Uniserve to send the 3rd set of hardware to try.

*update today is day 49 and all my services are finally working. they had set up my routing (voip) and the ports (adsl) wrong it took untill today for them to look into that and fix it. I also ended up having to buy my own hardware again from a 3rd party and returning uniserve's hardware for refund because their hardware never worked modems could not sync.

now that it works the service is great fast downloads, great call quallity but I am not happy with the tech support and setup time frame.

** 2nd UPDATE

after having it up and running for only 1-2 months speeds dropped like a rock down under 1mbs the price has now jumped to $89/month for net + VOIP from $59 neither work at the same time and even if you use one at a time you can't hear the other people on the line, net feels like dial up. tech support has been useless tells me to pay a contractor to fix it myself or they just ignore me. or like the last 2 months "we are working on the problem" but never get anywhere and expect me to pay full price. off to shaw we go it was a nice thought to try and help out the small local company but never again.

and after not having their service for months they send a bill for 3 months service. I phoned them and explained that I had canceled my service months ago I was told it was a computer error and it would be cleared up right away. now they never corrected this and sent it to a collections company. luckily I have a record of the cancellation including dates and my final bill amount and proof of payment BUT BEWARE UNISERVE WILL SCAM YOU.