Uniserve page on DSLReports

Review by ersterhernd See Profile

• Location: Canada
  • Telco party Telus
Good "Solid Connection. Reasonable Price. Fast Speed. Static IP."
Bad "None to speak of."
Overall "Recommended ISP."

Quick summary of my 10+ year Uniserve experience at this link...

»Uniserve Communications

member for 1 year, 12 visits, last login: 362 days ago
updated 1 year ago

Comments:

Review by SWJunkie See Profile

• Location: Courtenay,BC
  • Telco party Telus

Tech service when required seems good.

member for 10.3 years, 629 visits, last login: 2.5 years ago

Comments:

Review by bbdhomer See Profile

• Location: Scarborough,ON
Good "Excellent customer service. Best bang for buck. No caps."
Bad "Bell's infrastructure: Constant throttling, Lack of 'higher tier' tech support, Speed limitations."
Overall "If you have a budget under $40 to get 5MBps, ONLY surf in non-peak hours and can endure throttling, this one's for you."

I have been with Uniserve for the past 5 years. (Before they were called Inter.net).

For the past 4 years before all this UBB nonsense became a phenomena, I had a pretty smooth experience with this company. Great 24/7 customer service, good speeds, no throttling and consistent performance overall with 99.8% uptime (2-3 days in a year downtime? that was awesome). Best of all, NO CAPS **

**[On their website, they might say that there's a 75GB cap being implemented - but its been confirmed as of Feb 6th 2011, that caps have not been applied onto any new or old accounts]

Just recently Bell started to throttle my connection heavily. The sad disadvantage of being a wholesale customer is that there's literally nothing in their hands to stop Bell from doing this.

Current situation: my regular speed has been reduced from 4.3Mbps to 600Kbps download, while upload has been consistent on 401Kbps -- this has been going on for about 2 months now. It happens on Weekdays 4pm to 1am; then goes back to regular speed. And on Weekends 12pm to 8pm. This has driven me NUTS. Cannot stream anything at all, nor download stuff during the day. I am missing my lectures (taking online classes) and is leaving me far behind in my studies. I have to stay up late at night to perform all the browsing/downloading that should have been (and conveniently) done during the day.

My first course of action was to ask Uniserve what they can do for me. After the 'default' inspection and troubleshooting steps done on my internet, they concluded to send a service ticket to Bell for line inspection. After a day or so, Bell recommended a new modem. Uniserve sends out these modems from a brand called "Zoom" - really bad modems, but since I have been with them for ages they sent it out for free. I received a new modem only to discover that its 'the same damn modem' as my current one.

Regardless, I installed the new modem - throttling is even WORSE now. Download speed on them 'peak hours' doesn't go beyond 500Kbps while upload stays the same! I have been calling them back and forth and requesting updates on the ticket, Bell - being the lazy panzies that they are - haven't been frequently checking up or updating these tickets.

Due to lack of speed upgrades, explanations, and service from Uniserve, I have decided to move on from them to another ISP/Technology: Teksavvy/Cable.

In the end, I'd say Uniserve is a great company, just too bad they have to piggyback on Bell.

Comments:

Review by jerry666 See Profile

• Location: Piedmont,QC
Good "reliable"
Overall "no problems in 12 years"

free modem , at the time $29.00 a month for 5Mbps only had 2 downtimes in 10 years . Still $29.00 a month , no free modem .Still very reliable , zero downtime , good stable connection .

Comments:

Review by gogu See Profile

• Location: Kitchener,ON
Good "Unlimited"
Bad "1-2 times/year down"
Overall "Good value for the $"

Been with ca.inter.net in the KW Ontario area for about 3 years. After modem rental and taxes its about $35/month no contract.

In these 3 years i've noticed the service go down for longer periods of time about 1-2 times a year. I've had the modem die on me once before and now its no longer able to log in, so the techs walked me through on how to bridge the modem, and log in via my router. I've heard a lot of great things about Teksavvy, who i actually use for phone service, but have been reluctant to switch over because ca.inter.net has been pretty good overall. Speeds are around 500KB/sec down, and 75KB/s up. Torrents are throttled, but as far as i know most ISPs are, even teksavvy unless you bond.

Tech support help, knowledge, friendly 10/10

Uptime 9/10

Price 9/10

If they cap or longer downtimes, i will move.

Comments:

Review by westvv See Profile

• Location: North York,ON
Good "Good price, good service so far."
Bad "ping times are not good.around 10ms ping time oscillation amplitude"
Overall "No uniserve staff work in this forum"

I am based in east of Canada, it's ca.inter.net. I started my service two weeks ago. So far so good.

1. Installation: They contacted me during the process, gave me updated. Like problems, dates...

2. Billing: They charge 5M (unlimited) high speed 29.95 + Band B dry loop 7.95 + tax. It's 39.85 per month without contract if you have your own modem. A good price of monthly based.

3. Service stability: So far so good. It can reach my peak line speed. only one disconnection at 4th morning, maybe a network change.

4. Routes: They use Nlayer and montreal Telecom as upstreams service providers, and own BGP4 AS number 32984. Both above are good.

Totally I think it's good so far.

----------------
Update: ca.inter.net(Uniserve now) changed their uplink service provider from Nlayer to tiscali.net, they may want to merge both west and east operations(west Uniserve also use tiscali), at this point, still, I can not tell the difference between tiscali and Nlayer.

I have been with their service for one year, so far so good, they announced 75G cap, but still no deployment for us old customers. Let's wait and see how about the operation change.

Comments:

Review by bigbangnet See Profile

• Location: Laval,QC
Good "Customer support"
Bad "P2P Throttling but we can all blame bell and rare time outs"
Overall "Awesome cheap service for a 5m Highspeed service"

everything is good but like I said in my bad point, there stuck with the throttling because of Bell. Good price compared to other providers without a contract. I hate contracts. order went really fine and took 5 days in my case and because of my distance to the CO, I have full speed 5mb.

Uniserve gives zooms (pppoe by default)which are good but you could use other types of modem as well like speedstream or dlink dsl-300g.

sometimes they have timeouts here and there but every ISP has them. Also, there spam seems to be improving a lot lately which is really great if you ask me.

tech support is 24h support btw

Comments:

Review by rupture See Profile

• Location: Toronto, ON
Good "Good price, 24hr customer service and generally reliable DSL service."
Bad "Occasional disconnections and longer than anticipated wait times for tech support."
Overall "Good value for the money"

I had ca.inter.net (Uniserve) for approximately 11 months before I moved onto another ISP carrier. They had friendly customer service but I didn't find them to be all that knowledgeable when it came to the DSL field. The price was fair and the uptime was good. They would often email a few days before any anticipated outages. One thing I did not like were the disconnects that happened every few hours which required me to cycle my modem. Overall great ISP for Unlimited traffic.

Comments:

Review by Luckyguy8 See Profile

• Location: Vaudreuil-Dorion,QC
Good "good available support, DSL usually works"
Bad "Some major downtime and intermittent short term downtime"
Overall "alterntative is Bell Sympatico, which is likely worst"

did consider and tried Sympatico, was not great and am not a Bell fan
ordered inter.net max residential at 3MB download and 640K upload for $35 / month, including Zoom modem rental
order and install was smooth, about 4 days
Been on service for 18 months, speed is very good, but am frustrated at intermittent disconnect periods. Is the problem Bell line or Uniserve DSL, is a question i have been looking to answer?