XS4ALL page on DSLReports

Review by Rob Hond See Profile

• Location: 1503ta
Good "They make you feel like you're an esteemed customer unlike some others.."
Bad "Not the cheepest but on the other hand.. wo cares? They deliver what you pay for!"
Overall "Best serviceprovider in the Netherlands."

As a longtime computer user (hobby), I function more or less as "personal helpdesk" to relatives and aquaintances.

My experiences with other so-called professional helpdesks are far below zero. Most helpdeskpeople of other providers know less about the material than myself. Beside that, they tend to treat their customers as complete nitwits (and now I'm beïng friendly). Slightly excaggerated: "Format your harddisk and re-install Windows" is their standard solution...

One exception for the good is the XS4all helpdesk. They try to find out the customer's capabilities and communicate on a mature level. They come with *real* answers and go to great depths to solve a problem. If, despite all efforts, they can't help you themselves, they tell you so and will give adequate suggestions.

Quality of service and capable people is my bottomline for XS4all XS4all? Because you're worth it!

BTW: I've got ADSL Lite (3Mb/s down + 512 Kb/s up) wich is more than sufficient for our small home network, consisting of 3 PC's. Provided of course, that heavy downloads are restricted to the nightly hours..

Update 28 july 2009: switched over three weeks ago to ADSL XS4allOnly Lite(8Mb/s down and 1Mb/s up). In the previous situation I paid a third party (KPN Telecom) USD 22 for the incoming ADSL line plus USD 33 for the seperate XS4All subscription. Alltogether I now have one subscription inclusive the line for wich pay the same total as before. The good news: I now have twice the speed and switchover went smoothly; no noticable loss of connection or other problems.

Update february 2011: Somewhere early last year I received a notice: all speeds would be doubled. Alas.. as I'm litterally at the end of the line, this higher speed wasn't possible for me, so they offered me to downgrade my subscription to XS4all Only START with the same speed as I had before (8Mb/s down and 1Mb/s up). I now pay a monthly fee of USD 22,- (E 30,-) all in. Came with two free VOIP phonelines as a part of the bargain. No problems, no failures.. still going strong!

Comments:

Review by David51 See Profile

• Cost Contract price not specified. (month by month)
Good "free help desk, great low price"
Bad "I must have working cell Phone"
Overall "Fantastic"

I must have working cell phone in case the VOiP fails, if it is only the Voip that failed I email the help desk and they call me. If I can't email either I can ask a neighbor to call the help desk and I give them my email address and cell phone number and they call to help fix the problem. They do expect a fairly knowledgeable client but are kind enough to understand that I just can't figure out how to install and update the firmware for the on loan Fritz!box WI-FI multi PC router with a USB2 printer port to share a printer in a network. when it became European Law to round off bell time units to whole seconds they lowered the rates and deposited 42 cents in my Bank account saying I had been charged too much for a call to the US-42 cents,how often does that happen. The VoIP costs an additional €5 p/month but thats much beter than the old state telefone company[KPN] who wanted €15 p/month and charged 75 cents a minute to the US, xs4all charges 2cents a minute[plus that €5 per month ]

I avoided the problem in the old review about upgrading to xs4all only because by setting up the internet first I was able to keep my old telephone number fr the VOIPP number.

Comments:

Review by dj_nr1 See Profile

Good "always works"
Bad "not the cheapest"
Overall "highly recommended for reliable connection"

if your connection is down, best to check your own equipment first, it's highly unlikely to be a provider problem

Comments:

Review by helgetietz See Profile

Good "non"
Bad "a lot"
Overall "don't upgrade from xs4all lite to xs4all only"

I signed an update from xs4all lite to xs4all only, the result was that they switch off the kpn-lite line on Friday without having delivered the xs4all only line, since Friday I am without any internet connection and they don't know when they will be able to deliver the new line and are unable to restore the old one. That pi***s me off. If anyone is offered the upgrade, don't do it....

Helge

Comments:

Review by mash_man2 See Profile

• Location: 1602HC
Good "Lots of additional services, delivered as promised, good modem included"
Bad "Non realy"
Overall "A bit expensive in comparision, but lots of free extra's, so at least recommended"

I had ziggo bussines cable but the had poor communications after their merger and the service had taken a turn for the worse.
ut
Without any communication they disconnected my port 25 incomming and told us that this is standard procedure. The SLA for a $100 3Mbit connection did not do anything for us.

So we decided to go to dsl and selected xs4all because of their clear end user policy which allows home ran servers.

They where very punctual and delivered everything as promised and kept us well informed about the status. (can be checked online and is maintained very well).

I live about 2 miles from the dslam but come very close to the 8/1Mbit limit using adsl 2, S/N on the line is not really good but it seems reliable and steady so far.

I requested them to change the PTR record in dns towards my hostname which i for now still host at ziggo and they did that with no cost within a couple of day's.

So far very good ! I am a happy xs4all client.

Comments:

Review by ali_umum See Profile

• Location: nld
Good "Reliable and lots of extra features like ipv6, antivirus subscription"
Overall "Ultimate"

I considered providers like hetnet, planet, dds.
xs4all is known for good security policies and state of the art technology, so hence my choice

Comments:

Review by mennom See Profile

Good "HIGH reliability"
Bad "high cost"
Overall "best provider in the netherlands"

ADSL2+ 20MB line is in good condition

Comments:

Review by roelb See Profile

• Location: Netherlands
Good "Tech support, reliability, quality of information provided on website"
Bad "Certainly not the cheapest, although the combination XS4all-only and VOIP is OK"
Overall "Very good"

In my opinion, XS4ALL is the best internet provider in the Netherlands.
The option to choose for XS4ALL-Only (no dependencies on KPN (telco), higher speed for the same price, VOIP included) has been the main argument for me to stay with XS4ALL and not switch to a different provider.