Tiscali page on DSLReports

Review by pfc See Profile

• Location: united kingd
Good "Installation worked OK"
Bad "Unreliable, tech support useless,"
Overall "Appalling ... avoid like the plague"

The installation worked fine.

Some of the time the link works but it's no good paying for a service that you can't depend on.

And when things go wrong, don't expect anyone to rush to fix it or even tell you what is going on. Their customer service and technical support is abysmal.

Please, please, please don't be tempted by the relatively cheap price. You WILL be disappointed ... I can assure you of that.

Comments:

Review by pistyll See Profile

• Location: OL12 8UW
Good "Can't see any"
Bad "see below"
Overall "Absolute crap"

Well where do I start!! On February 12th 2008 Tiscali in their infinite
wisdom tried to remove an old defunct telephone number that was not current
to our current number wammo!!! All telephone and Internet ceased to work
I was forced to go to my father in laws in order to be able to contact them
and guess what after 53 mins on hold on a premium rate number I got through
to their call centre in INDIA!!! It was extremely difficult to convey my
problems to the "technician" I say technician with tongue in cheek as they
really are not technicians but reading from a well rehearsed script. Anyway
it transpires that having tried to remove an old defunct number they had cut
off my broadband as that original number was the broadband enabled number!!
Why on earth it could not have been put onto my new number remains a mystery
to me. I now had to re-apply for my own broadband again which will take 7-10
days to complete, why they just could not switch it back on as quickly as
they terminated it I will never know. Since it has been re-enabled I have
had nothing but problems with it, the line gets nowhere near it's
theoretical limit and I am forced to ring India several times a day as the
broadband switches itself off when it feels like it and I must ring their
Technical help line (after holding for 1 hour plus at peak times and often
30 mins plus before I get to speak to their "Technician") in India every
time this happens so that they can refresh the line and switch me back on
To say it is frustrating is an understatement. Unfortunately where I live is
some 4k from the BT exchange therefore I can only get 2 meg broadband (never
had anywhere near 2 meg to this date) and I am limited to either Tiscali
or AOL god forbid therefore I suppose it is better the devil you know but to
say Tiscali is bad really is not criticising them enough they are atrocious

I need my broadband but I want a fair crack of the whip and the only time
they actually did something constructive about my problem was when I
involved ofcom they soon started to sit up and take notice then and2 weeks
ago I finally got a slow yet somewhat more stable broadband from Tiscali
still nowhere near the 2 meg package I am paying for but hey what the heck
it is at least working now!!! If I was not forced to use Tiscali I would
avoid them like the plague Tiscali and AOL must be vieing for the title of
worst broadband supplier of all time.

Many Thanks

Ian Jones

Comments:

Review by pistyll See Profile

• Location: OL12 8UW
Good "Can;t see any"
Bad "See below"
Overall "Absolute crap"

Well where do I start!! On February 12th 2008 Tiscali in their infinite wisdom tried to remove an old defunct telephone number that was not current to our current number wammo!!! All telephone and Internet ceased to work I was forced to go to my father in laws in order to be able to contact them and guess what after 53 mins on hold on a premium rate number I got through to their call centre in INDIA!!! It was extremely difficult to convey my problems to the "technician" I say technician with tongue in cheek as they really are not technicians but reading from a well rehearsed script. Anyway it transpires that having tried to remove an old defunct number they had cut off my broadband as that original number was the broadband enabled number!! Why on earth it could not have been put onto my new number remains a mystery to me. I now had to re-apply for my own broadband again which will take 7-10 days to complete, why they just could not switch it back on as quickly as they terminated it I will never know. Since it has been re-enabled I have had nothing but problems with it, the line gets nowhere near it's theoretical limit and I am forced to ring India several times a day as the broadband switches itself off when it feels like it and I must ring their Technical help line (after holding for 1 hour plus at peak times and often 30 mins plus before I get to speak to their "Technician") in India every time this happens so that they can refresh the line and switch me back on. To say it is frustrating is an understatement. Unfortunately where I live is some 4k from the BT exchange therefore I can only get 2 meg broadband (never had anywhere near 2 meg to this date) and I am limited to either Tiscali or AOL god forbid therefore I suppose it is better the devil you know but to say Tiscali is bad really is not criticising them enough they are atrocious I need my broadband but I want a fair crack of the whip and the only time they actually did something constructive about my problem was when I involved ofcom they soon started to sit up and take notice then and2 weeks ago I finally got a slow yet somewhat more stable broadband from Tiscali still nowhere near the 2 meg package I am paying for but hey what the heck it is at least working now!!! If I was not forced to use Tiscali I would avoid them like the plague Tiscali and AOL must be vieing for the title of worst broadband supplier of all time.

Many Thanks

Ian Jones

Comments:

Review by su27spotter

• Location: New York,New York,NY
Good "big firm will not skip country"
Bad "big firm does not care for customers"
Overall "Next to AOL, probably the worst in the world"

I live in a resort town on the south coast, and whilst i appreciate that
infra-structure problems may occur, ISPs should be mabe to deliver what they
advertise. I'm supposed to get a premium rate broadband-up to 8mb, but I'm
lucky to get basic dialup speeds.

When you complain you get directed to their test page which unsurprisingly
tells you that your speeds are OK, but go on to any other test site which
tests the line properly, both down and up, and invariably you get told that
there are problems with the connection.

So I for one am looking around now.

(review was emailed from domain tiscali.co.uk)

Comments:

Review by santara69 See Profile

• Location: eh355jx
Good "reliable"
Bad "supposed to be 8 mb lucky if I get 1mb"
Overall "I do live in the sticks but I expect to get roughly what I pay for"

I also considered sky broadband and tv but I would have eaten their 4gb data limit in a day, also their unlimited was to expensive, I switched from BT as it was to expensive 24 pounds per month. I ordered the 8 mb max unlimited at 8.49 pounds sterling for the first three months, then 14.99 a month thereafter. The order and install was efficient and easy Tiscali forums also helped me unlock the ISP lock on my old BT voyager wireless router. The equipment supplied was a Siemens speed stream ethernet ADSL modem, it was adequate for purpose but was not wireless. The good experiences were using their forums to help me ISP free my wireless modem from BT after 2 days unsucsesfully trying from the web, 10 mins in a Tiscali forum bingo it worked. The only bad/ disapointing experience so far is the speed, I pay for up to 8mb yet I am lucky to recieve about 1mb I wouldn't mind even If I was getting around 4-5mb, but I do live in the countryside about 10 miles from Edinburgh so wasn't expecting miracles but I was recieving 2.8 from BT, so I don't understand why I only get around half that from Tiscali.

Comments:

Review by stav2 See Profile

Good "None"
Bad "Very slow downloads. Poor cust service."
Overall "Poor"

Ive been with Tiscali for 10 years and had no problems until I decided to upgrade from 2MB to Tiscali Max 8MB. I was getting faster speeds on 2MB!

Tried many emails to complain - no replies as yet (3 weeks since I sent the 1st one). Ive only tried the helpline twice - gave up after 30 mins on hold!

When I first signed up for upgrade to 2mb, there was no mention of a Fair use policy. This is basically a cap on downloading 50mb (YES 50MB) between the hours of 6 - 11 pm. Download more than that and they put you in a group of similar 'heavy' users so you share bandwith and thus reduce your speeds. This is all very well if you are actually getting the 8mb speeds you are paying for, but when you are only getting 130kb/s during the early hours of the morning, well outside peak time, this is an insult to say the least. I believe they actually warn of the Fair use policy now to new users, albeit in small print.

Im seriously thinking of asking for my MAC code so I can move on, but Im not that confident they will even reply to me.

So my advice to new users - don't be sucked in by the fancy advertising campaigns promising Unlimited Broadband for £6.99 a month or whatever. Their 'service' is NOT unlimited, their customer service is non-existent and once they,ve got you you're stuck for 12 months. DON'T DO IT!

Comments:

Review by robal See Profile

Good "Cheap"
Bad "Fraud"
Overall "Avoid !"

Avoid Tiscali.co.uk at all costs.

They:

- switched my services to them (from BT) even when I cancelled the order and transfer in time
- lied to me that I'll get wireless router
- advertise 8 mbit downlink, and I get around 400 kbps all day
- have got COMPLETELY USELESS customer support
- online account login, options and service monitoring DON'T work

I'd call it a scam, but the internet connection is actually working.

Comments:

Review by stevenazari6 See Profile

• Location: UK
Good "Im cheating them out of broadband, 24 hour crap support"
Bad "Bad customer service, bad performance, bad tech support"
Overall "yet another rip off company that sells bad broadband"

Tiscali. they are the worst broadband company you can get. They say you can get unmetered, unrestricted broadband, but one of the tech guys accidentally let slip that my package, although is advertised as unmetered unrestricted, is restricted anyway but they dont see a need to say.

the customer service is made purely of the "Im not from your country so I dont need to speak your language" kind. not only that but they have the "well this pc doesnt let me do much so Im just going to pass you on to someone else" attitude. They say they will call you back and I can catagorically guarantee you they wont as this has been said to me so far 9 times.

the service they offer is very poor. the fastest I have ever downloaded is 200kbs and thats from a server and this is a 2mb connection.

that set aside though you can quite happily cheat them out of free broadband but I will let you find out how to do that.

Comments:

Review by afonboy See Profile

Good "reasonable site"
Bad "slow unresponsive poor mail servers"
Overall "dont"

now my 12 month contract is up i am changing isp an 8 meg subscription which was lucky to deliver 150 kbs

Comments:

Review by AlanD2 See Profile

• Location: England
Good "Connection didn't go down totally very much"
Bad "Speed slow between 16:00 and 23:00 daily, and traffic shaping in operation which blocked all nntp traffic, and P2P"
Overall "OK if you only want web browsing and email, no good for any other protocol"

·BT Broadband
I checked out most of the available ISP's in UK. Due to distance from the exchange, I am limited to 1MB ADSL, the Tiscali package looked reasonable, and was advertised as "unlimited". The price was GBP19.99 per month, including all phone calls and a free Speedtouch USB modem.

In fact they have a "Fair use Policy" which limits your traffic volumes, plus a capacity issue which means that they are blocking many types of traffic, and slowing down all traffic for a large part of the day.

I was unable to access any News groups ( binary or text) for about 8 hours each day, and my 1Mb line was testing out at around 250KB for most of the time.

The only good point was that I complained so much they let me break my 12 month contract and leave without penalty after 9 months. The Help desk were reading from scripts. It took 5 emails to get them to understand that a News Group was not an http page.They also tried blaming the DNS servers when I had sent them traces showing that DNS resolution was working and that they were blocking responses to my nntp requests.