AirTel page on DSLReports

Review by ghundiraj See Profile

I had been with MTNL and Tata Indicom for over 2 years.
They did not offer unlimited download plans over 512 kbps.
Airtel is currently offering me a 2mbps plan with unlimited downloads and steady speeds all day and night. (only catch, once you cross 160 GB in a month, they chop your speed by half till the next billing cycle).

Had a spate of bad speeds for a couple of days and filed a service request on the phone.
Next day, the technician was home and explaining how I had gone over the limit and how the next billing cycle would only start after 3-4 days.

All in all, no complaints!!!

Comments:

Review by trooper1 See Profile

Good "No connectivity issues, decent night-time download speeds"
Bad "Poor Upload Speeds, Monthly download cap leading to reduction in download speeds"
Overall "Despite my reservations, This is the best ISP available in my city"

I was looking for a broadband connection with unlimited downloading of data. I had two choices.
1) MTNL - It is a Government-run ISP
2) Airtel Broadband - A Private Broadband Telecom Company.

MTNL is a little cheaper but has awful Customer service. This was not a surprise since it is government-owned.

This was the biggest reason I opted for Airtel Broadband.

I have been reasonably happy with the night-time speeds. I get 1 MBps speeds during night(10PM-6AM) and 384 Kbps rest of the time.

The Daytime speeds reduce to 256 KBps if I cross the monthly data transfer cap of 75 GB which sucks.

The order/install process was very smooth. The Modem supplied was a Beetel 220 BXI ADSL2+ whatever that means. I bought my own Netgear WiFi router to provide wireless connectivity.

It's the tech-support which is a big downer. Most of the time the Customer Support has no idea what they are talking about.

If internet connectivity is down (which rarely happens) they are very quick to repsond. But, if you start asking technical questions they are all at sea.

It has been a mixed bag. I really don't have much of a choice as the alternative is pretty bad.

I hope in the future they can improve their download speeds and provide a more generous Monthly Data Transfer cap.

member for 12.7 years, 2079 visits, last login: 124 days ago

Comments:

Review by ddesertrose See Profile

• Location: bangalore
Good "The service is steady.I rarely get disconnected."
Bad "The speed is a bit slow than that I am supposed to get."
Overall "This is the best service you can get in India"

I was stuck with tata indicom's w-lan service for some days.It was really bad. The connection was not only slow but very unreliable. One moment you are connected the next you aren't.So,I thought about airtel's adsl. They took some days to install but it was worthy.The only problem is the fact that I am supposed to get a sped of 256 Kbps,but normally I am connected only at 180 kbps.But for Rs.750(19 US dollars) a month and unlimited usage it's pretty good.