TeData page on DSLReports

Review by m3ax See Profile

Good "support"
Bad "connectivity"

»www.tedata.net

Comments:

Review by bedouin See Profile

• Location: egypt
Good "Speeds are as advertised and the connection is generally stable"
Bad "Overpriced compared to other countries, HORRIBLE customer service"
Overall "Great if you don't value your time or sanity"

EDIT: I'm going to preface my prior review with this new experience. A friend and I transferred our DSL to another two new phone lines after a move. Everything seemed to go smoothly; we had service at our new apartments and numbers and had no problems. At least 4 different representatives told us that we are on a new billing cycle after the switch, so we do not need to pay our bills yet. We even offered the cash face to face and they refused it.

In a couple days my friend's service was cut. He called to see why and they said it was because he didn't pay the bill! It turns out that, at least according to their records, the transfer never occurred. I figured the error was only with his account, but then the next day my account was terminated for the same reason. On top of everything, my friend was forced to go to a branch and get the problem fixed because no one on the phone would. While at the office we made sure that my account was in good shape. The representative said it was.

We take a cab home (like we have at least a dozen times to fix problems created by TE Data -- this is not an exaggeration). To go there and back costs LE 10 usually; we've spent at least LE 100 in cab fare, not to mention our LE 60 trip to Dokki (more on that later). Within an hour and a half or less my service was cut. We called and they acknowledged an error and said the problem would be fixed within 2 hours.

Of course -- it wasn't. We called back and were told we have to go to the office again. This morning we went. My friend requested that his account be canceled so he can change to another company. The representative handed him a complaint form and said the process would take 21 days! Of course, you can't sign up with a new provider unless the prior ISP cancels your account. To make this clear, they can disconnect anyone's service in less than an hour, but can't cancel an account in less than 21 days? The whole idea is to discourage you from going to another ISP.

Next we went to the headquarters in Dokki to speak to the CEO herself. We told her we have two lines in our apartment complex (one for each of us), and her first response was, "Are you reselling the service?" So she begins with an insult. Next she won't even listen to why we are there. She gets on the phone and says, "This guy does not like us and we do not like him -- cancel the account." Because both of us wear Islamic dress, I believe she thought we were villagers with no education (one of us has a Ph.D., the other a MA -- but whatever) and treated us like morons. After she made that comment we left without continuing the discussion. In fact, there was no discussion because she would not listen to our story in the first place.

When I visit their website and see slogans like, "The Best Service in Egypt" I laugh. It is the worst customer service IN THE WORLD. I am waiting for my friend to switch ISPs to see what his service is like, and if he has a good experience I will be dumping TE Data also. They don't value you as a customer and treat you like garbage, knowing that most people here don't know or can't be bothered to find another provider.

Below is my initial review.

I purchased the 4Mb package, which is about $63 USD / month. There is no official contract, but payments are made every 3 months, so one might consider that a contract of sorts. Comparatively, in other countries $63 could buy up to 20Mb in some cases.

The ordering process was awful. I was told I would have DSL within at most 10 days, then 15. I eventually got connected after a month of phone calls. The install process was simple: they give you the modem, PPoE login/password, and you take it home. The router is an EchoLife HG520b. Functionally it seems to work well, but it is designed to act as a picture frame on your desk; ports are on the bottom which means you can't simply sit it level on a floor. I'd wager most wouldn't want this tacky thing on their desk, especially considering there's a TEData logo on the frame.

When I first requested service I asked for 4Mb. The man told me that's no problem, but that I'll have to start with a 2Mb plan first and then my line will be tested for 'high speed' internet. If the tests go well, then I can upgrade to 4Mb and pay the difference. Sounds reasonable. I asked him again for reassurance and he said no problem, you can pay the difference between the two plans.

30 days pass and I go to pick up the router. A service rep tells me that in order to upgrade to high speed I will need to wait 3 months until my plan ends, and that he cannot just charge me the difference, or even remove me from the plan and charge full price. After arguing about how stupid this is he told me to come in 3 days; he will check the line over the course of those 3 days, and then I can pay the difference before TEData submits their billing to another company for handling. Okay, that's reasonable.

3 days later I come back. Surprise, the guy isn't there! His coworker from 3 days ago was though, alongside a new guy who helped us. While his partner could have explained our entire situation to the new guy (he heard it front to back that day) he instead sat there and played Solitaire or something. Eventually the guy claims he cannot do it, even though I qualify for high speed and that I have to wait 3 months. In actuality they are too lazy to do any paperwork or consult with their superiors. By the way, you cannot reach their superiors.

Eventually I reached someone who could help us after probably a week of hassling. I work from home using the Internet, so a meager 2Mb actually matters to me. We go to the same store and pay the same guy a the difference -- and all is well. Not quite. After 3 days my connection was at 2Mb again. Some more calls eventually fixed that problem.

Dealing with Egypt Telecom is a whole story by itself and I'll save you the time. By the way, if you want to switch providers you will have no Internet for 10 days, and you will be forced to pay a deactivation fee. Then you will wait for your new provider to actually turn on your line (Another 30 days? Who knows). After reading the forums I've heard the other ISPs aren't much better, and in some cases worse.

The good news is that once you have service, it's generally reliable. Your only other option is a mobile modem or dial up. The 4Mb plan has an 80gb data transfer cap, which is kind of low in my option but shouldn't affect most people.

Comments:

Review by islamomt See Profile

• Location: EGYPT
Good "Owned by incumbent Telecom operator, providing quicker service"
Bad "Customer service/Tech support not very knowledgable"
Overall "Overall Rating 3.5/5 - Similar to others of same size"

Being one of two ISPs able to provide on such a scale, there seems to be no solid reason for or against using this ISP. The fact that it is owned by the incumbent telecom operator might appear as an advantage to quicker response to requests, but this has been disputed by other customers.