T-Mobile US page on DSLReports

Review by Network Guy See Profile

• Location: New York
Good "Overall good data and voice network.. Good customer service"
Bad "Mediocre indoor coverage"
Overall "Very good bang for the buck"

·Optimum Online
I subscribe to T-Mobile's $30 prepaid cellular monthly plan. This plan includes 100 minutes of anytime national minutes, unlimited text and multimedia messaging, and up to 5 GB of full-speed 3G Internet after which is throttled to 2G speeds. After you eat through your minutes, additional national minutes cost ten cents per minute; excluding international of course. I could not say what actual speeds it throttles down to after consuming the included 5 GB as I've never exceeded this limit.

There are two $30 plans, and T-Mobile purposely make it challenging to subscribe to. There is a 1500-minute or text plan that includes 30 MB of data and the 100-minute plus unlimited texting and 5 GB of data plan. The former plan you have to activate at a T-Mobile store; the latter you can only activate at Walmart or purchase a SIM kit online from T-Mobile and activate it over the phone. All other plans you can purchase and activate online at T-Mobile. For the price, I didn't mind this slight inconvenience.

The voice portion of the service is excellent. Calls sound very clear for what one would expect from a GSM carrier. I do most of my phone calls through Google Voice and a SIP client so the included minutes are mostly for urgent or emergency calls as needed.

The data portion of the service is very good. I use a smart phone that operates on T-Mobile's HSPA+ network with typical peak speeds up to 3.5 MBps down and 2.7 Mbps up. The fastest speeds I've experienced are 6.7 Mbps down and 3.7 Mbps up. You can improve your actual speeds by using a handset that operates on T-Mobile's LTE network which is much faster. But for my purposes, needs and cost, this brings excellent value.

My only gripe with T-Mobile is indoor coverage. There are places where there is no signal even above ground while other carriers work. I've researched this thinking perhaps I need to switch phones, but general consensus seems to conclude the frequencies that T-Mobile use don't penetrate buildings very well. Where I happen to use my cell phone most; work and home; service works very well and there is plenty of reception.

T-Mobile is a BYOD-friendly carrier. As long as the IMEI hasn't been blacklisted, you can activate and use any GSM phone you want as long as it supports their cellular network band. As of this review, T-Mobile operates 3G HSPA+ on the 1700 MHz UMTS band.

For my particular needs; inexpensive service with very good data network and unlimited texting as an added plus; T-Mobile works well for me.

member for 13.6 years, 5710 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by ksharp25 See Profile

• Location: York,York,PA
Good "Very competitive priced multi-line plans, great overall price value"
Bad "Very spotty/poor 4G LTE network coverage, most areas actually EDGE"
Overall "Great price value for still very limited 4G LTE coverage"

I switched to T-Mobile because my wife and 3 step-sons already had service through them and were in a current 4 line family plan contract for 24 months. I was on Verizon Wireless. Even before the switch over, I noticed that my Verizon connection in the York PA area was much more stable of a 3G/4G Data than all of their "supposed to be" 4G LTE smartphones/network. However my line alone with Verizon was costing us $128 a month plus her 4 line $175 a month. By adding a 5th line to her plan, we now pay a total of $225 a month for 5 lines. The voice quality is excellent, I have never experienced a dropped text or a missed call. Its trying to use mobile data playing a game or anything intensive that I see Tmobile's less than desirable experience.

THE GOOD:

Unlimited voice calling nationwide, and unlimited text messaging (including SMS/MMS messaging) across 5 devices for a solid flat price of $225 a month. They also state "*Unlimited" 2 GB data shared across 4 devices. This works out to being able to advertise "*Unlimited" data, talk and text for $45 a month per phone. That is VERY hard to beat with Verizon, AT&T or Sprint.

THE BAD:

"*Unlimited" 2GB Data on most all plans is VERY much up to interpretation. That gets split across 4 lines in our case leaving a monthly allotment of just 500 MB per phone before heavy throttling (EDGE network) kicks in. In most cases, TMobile does not have very many towers of their own with 4G LTE and must rely on piggy-backing off AT&T or Verizon towers to service "4G" in our area. Your device also matters very much, I have an older Samsung Exhibit II 4G phone and despite having a "4G" display, the actual data rate is very much sub-par. My sons newer Galaxy S3 performs more along the lines of what you expect of a true 4G...when he gets it. 500 MB of data is nothing; and no where near enough. If you want an actual 2 GB of data allotment per line, it will cost an additional $10 a month per line. We have that on my 5th line. But to get 5 lines with 2 GB per line, our monthly bill would edge closer to $270 a month.

THE UGLY:

The Ugly Truth Tmobile reps and stores will not tell you is this.

Because of no subsidized devices, your bill will heavily be affected by how much of the phone you pay for up front and how much you pay over the course of the 24 month contract. We have 4 $400+ value smartphones on our plan that was never paid for with more than $30 down. So we pay about $16-24 a month per device in "Equipment charges" until it is paid off. That accounts for almost 35% of our monthly cost.

They are very much behind their competitors in regards to 4G LTE network deployment and coverage. Most times the 4G LTE spectrum they offer customers is not their own but coming off a tower owned and operated by AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, etc. Because of this, TMobile can market to customers that they offer 4G coverage on the coverage map that they have, but alot of that coverage is not from their own internally owned spectrum or towers.

Unlimited data is not true all-you-can-eat unlimited. You initially get 500 MB to 2 GB of 4G speed data (depending on your plan) per monthly bill cycle. When its up, you switch over to heavily throttled and restricted 2G EDGE speed. While that may still allow you to check Facebook or load up your online bank account app without too much issue, if you are like me and love to stream Pandora, Slacker Radio or play a graphic intensive Mobile Game...forget it. Wait until you can switch to WiFi.

Your overall Tmobile network experience will VERY MUCH depend on the device you own and use. All 4G phones are not created equal. Advances in processors, memory and radio technology improves with each new generation of smartphone. I have owned and used several devices in the past 2 years and you really do get what you pay for. The iPhone (any version 4 thru 5S) is by far the best WiFi device I have ever used. The 4G LTE speed data connection is very battery intensive on Tmobile because of the lack of true 4G everywhere, and the phone constant tower switching and going from 4G to Edge as I travel the 25 mile radius from my home. The newer Samsung Galaxy (3S and 4S) are really good experiences as well, but also suffer battery consumption from the constant network flip-flop it has to run. Older devices (2 years or older) are very poor performers on TMobile. My Galaxy Exhibit II cant spend 24 hours on a full batter and is on E (Edge) more often than it is 4G. And even when in a known TMobile 4G area, if I try and use Pandora or anything on the 4G, its spotty and poor performing.

Comments:

Review by murph12 See Profile

• Location: Jackson,Jackson,MI
Good "Pushing change in wireless industry"
Bad "Not too good urban, rural area EDGE"
Overall "excellent"

T Mobile has done something We all want to see=CHANGE from monopoly manics in
the US Wireless infrastructure. Despite OUR Government selling this *NOW* basic utility to private companies,
it is a Little refreshing to see TMo mix-it-up with the big boys and give them a run for the money.

In europe they call this VALUE FOR MONEY, something We Americans need to demand from not only the
Wireless Industry but the Gov. too ! Far too many people just take this and do not raise their voices in opposition to
bought and paid for (so-called) REPRESENTATIVES ! They do not seem to have the 70% if Us in their sights and do what
is best for us, the Customer. I hope people note this at the Ballot Box come November 2014!

I hope, hope, hope, people will not only demand better wireless AND INTERNET services at Home (Broadband)
and Wireless, as We should have 1 GB service for $50 at Home by now and quarter of that Wirelessly for like
$50 a month.

Does anyone realize Gigabit service amazingly "appears" when Google Fiber comes into town? So if it is that easy
why are We not demanding a TEN FOLD increase in internet speeds? We must demand better (in other words value for
money) from the Providers (and if they won't then this is when the Representatives, our elected officials, tell them to
offer it and make sure for a reasonable price).

TMobile getting rid of contracts is great so now I have a number with them that I can, or cannot, continue based
on SERVICE and SPEED of my wireless. Before this the other wireless internet providers (Verizon, ATT) just screw
their customers cause We could not go to the competitor (TMobile) as We were locked into a contract. NO MORE !!

Everyone that does not have TMO should, I repeat, SHOULD swithch over to them NOW. They will plow this back into
FAST FAST FAST internet service (and if not then I will have to eat my words) as John J Legere is messing with them All
and beating them -- TMO has grown subscribers since they started this I really like this Guy -- He does not scare off from
getting in their face and telling them a new kid is on the block and going to beat the butts.

If they want to step up and compete on SERVICE and speed, lets see how good it can get. We need to demand that AMERICA IS #1 AGAIN in everything ! And this would spark such a mobile digital revolution of service, speed that new
start-up companies would spring up like titanic leaks all over the place as speed such as that (1 GB) would make things
that are only thoughts right now possible.

Please giive them a try. I have nothing, zip, zilch, nothing to do with tmo other than being a customer.....but I am a happy
customer not only because my monthly wireless bill dropped $20 recently !! Now, right now they do NOT got the greatest coverage but most everyone can find it, Nor the fastest speeds, YET....I just know that they CAN and are doing so (plus I can go all over the Pond and other pars of the World with seem-less wirless service (but I still get a local SIM in UK..it would be nice if WE had regulatory agency in the US that was like in Wurope (not the best but better than no-spine we have now) and things such a EE in Europe is giving the Big Guys and run for their money . COMPETITION is the best thing and We need to demand it, more than 3-4 (and a few of them seem to collude to hold their prices so high)...

TMO CEO Legere said they will speed things up and cover more so lets see if He does and fund Him while having better,cheaper price wise wireless service -- He might surprise us all as they are rolling out upgrades, LTE, speeds upgrades and better coverage than Tmo ever has had..... e giving them a run for the money !!

We again come back to "value-for-money" theme. I want it. I demand it. I Vote and hope you doo too not only in the ballot box, but also with your business - go to TMo...

A Few Dollars (round $45 for all voice, text, data) and try them out, without a contract. If not happy you can dump them as fast as you get them if your not satisfied (and go back to the ones who care less when you call with an issue)..

Cheers-i-o
Murph10

Comments:

Review by Zenit See Profile

• Location: N. VA, USA
Good "Cheap, 4 lines with unlimited talk/text + 500mb of 4G data then unlimited EDGE, Great CS, Constantly improving network"
Bad "Lots of EDGE in the network still. Coverage indoors in dense areas not too good. Overall Coverage hugs population centers."
Overall "Excelent service for the money. Pushing change in the industry. "

·Verizon Online DSL
Update Jan 31 2014:
T-Mobile coverage continues to improve, I am running into EDGE less and less in the Northern VA region. Most of the suburban and urban areas east of the Blue Ridge Mountain can get 4G LTE or 3G HSDPA service. The 4g/3g tower near my house was re-calibrated - the signal now makes it inside at 3 bar strength - speed measured at 4mbit down, 2 up. Better than my old VZ DSL!

The quality of the EDGE networks voice has noticeably dropped, though. Half the time the voice quality sounds like one of the old analog long distance circuits that are long gone. Call quality on the refarmed 3G is very good.
Texting has been reliable, messages don't end up lost in the network for hours.

I am no longer using an iPhone 4, switched to a hand-me-down Motorola Atrix. The antenna in the Atrix is much better and I see less odd tower ping-ponging than I did with iOS. Cyanogenmod allows me to specify what network technology my phone will stay put on (currently its set to HSDPA only).

A family member on this plan recently upgraded to the iPhone 5S - T-Mobiles LTE service is as fast as our home internet from Comcast most of the time (20-30mbit down)! This really stunned me. Of course, a wireless connection is NOT a replacement for a wired connection.

The day when most of the EDGE towers are replaced with 3g and LTE towers will be a great day...
Concerned about the future with the possible Sprint buyout.

Update Sept. 29 2013:
T-Mobile has recently begun re-farming towers near my house. I see 3G popping up on my iPhone at random while at home. Unfortunately, an EDGE only tower is closer, and overtakes it.
They ARE investing in their network, and once all the early-2000s EDGE 2g equipment is replaced, their network will look a LOT better.

Looking forward to it. A healthy T-Mobile is good for competition.

-Original Review-

We switched from AT&T in March of 2013. AT&T CS was apathetic to our concerns of high cost with limited features (no texting, unlimited talk, and only 200mb of data on 2 lines + 2 plain lines was $200 a month!). AT&Ts representatives were so bad that we decided to switch to T-Mobile. We kept our AT&T phones (iPhone 4, and 2 Android devices + 1 dumbphone)

The savings have been worth it. No longer do we have to worry about sending a text, or using the data features on our phones. While the data is not unlimited, most of T-Mobiles network in Virginia is EDGE anyways, so we never use up our high speed data cap. In areas where the re-farmed 3G is present, the service is excellent. Data speeds are a consistent 4Mbit down, 1 up. Tethering works very well.

Even the EDGE network is OK. It is sufficient for checking email, navigation, iMessage, and quick lookup of information via the Opera browser (which compresses images to make the internet bearable on a 20k connection).

There are more dead zones than what we had with AT&T, but we can forgive this easily.

T-Mobiles CS is excellent. In the beginning we had some SIM activation issues, as well as billing. They actually gave us back more money than they owed due to the billing issue, as a gesture of good service.

I hope they will continue to improve their existing network and upgrade the EDGE only towers to modern equipment. If they continue doing what they have been doing, they will be in a position to compete with AT&T for customers that dont need coverage in deep rural areas. T-Mobile tends to cover small towns, highways, and cities well. (Of course, its EDGE for the time being in most places)

member for 1.9 years, 416 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

StevenP88

join:2010-11-01
Springfield, MO
·CableOne
·Allegiance Commu..

AT&T Prcing

Actually AT&T has unlimited talk,text and 6 GB of data which includes 4 phones for 250 a month, that's the plan I have with them and the service and internet speed away better than T-Mobile any day, even the call quality is much better, I have a business plan with them since I have my own company, Premiere support is AMAZING and they will bend over backwards for you, I have 4 lines on my account, 1 for my brother and 1 for his fiance, 1 for myself and 1for my partner.. I would give AT&T another look, and honestly they are not that bad, I have never dropped a call or lost service with them, were as with T-Mobile we struggled to even get service even though supposedly provide perfect service here.. PLUS I can have 10 lines on one account with no deposits ever and even start a second account with the same amount of lines and still no deposit lol
medbuyer

join:2003-11-20

Re: AT&T Prcing

except not everybody can have premier access like you...they only give you that since they can milk more money out of your business that you're giving to them...

even after you're paid for the phone unit, you're still paying for the price which in the end amounts to almost 3 phones after paying for service for 24 months...

let's see if you can figure that out and do the math...

Review by tkdslr See Profile

• Location: Pompano Beach,Broward,FL
Good "5GB data, unlimited text.. 100 minutes of airtime, extra airtime $0.10min"
Bad "Exhibit II 4g, 4G service likes to hang."
Overall "Best Purchase I've made in a decade.."

·Speakeasy
It's been 10 months since purchasing my Samsung Exhibit II 4G ($200+sales tax from Walmart) and things are getting better.. Voice service always solid and clear..

4G data service seams to hangs up, (in upload mode), a couple of times a day. Jumping into airplane mode and back out again restores 4G service. Average usage 4 to 5GB of data a month.

Initially I had to call t-mobile to change phone settings in order to get data service working. (Check mark Packet data & Roaming under Settings->Wireless and Networks->Mobile networks"). That call lasted 15 minutes or so.

Took several months to figure out how to purchase additional airtime while still on the $30 Walmart plan. (T-mobile doesn't document this very well, neither do CS reps know about it.) Solution, just keep extra money in prepaid account, each minute you go over deducts $0.10min from the account.

Speeds up to 9Mb(D)/2Mbit(U) so far.. I've gotten higher speeds on my TM ZTE hotspot, but that has a better radio(21Mbps verses 14Mbps).

But, I just forced my II 4G (hidden menu setting) to use T-mobiles new HSPDA+ 1900Mhz WCDMA service.. wow.. instead of 2, maybe 3 bars.. I now get a full 4 bars.. Very nice..
I'll update this review with the outcome of that experiment..

Note: That particular experiment failed a couple of months ago..I.E. no data, but that was then, and this is now.. Yeah..

Rooted, removed or disabled a couple of t-mobile's apps & spyware.
One thing I've learned is to disable all updates. Very selectively do I allow any update. Allowed Andriod OS to update to 2.3.5.. but not 2.3.6(yet)..

It seams that app vendors have a propensity to ruin a once useful app with an update. So no more updates. if an app works, it going stay working, just like I found it.

Favorite FREE apps so far..
older "My tracks" v1.1.16 in widget mode, Very handy for Bicyclists.
"Titanium backup" v5.5.1
"Flashlight" v4.9.2 in widget mode..
"Compass" v1.2.1
"Anti sms spam" v1.42

RF hazard like all cell phones, I rarely put my Andriod phone in my pocket. Instead it goes in a nap stack pocket with at least a few inches of separation from my body.. (also better view of the sky for the GPS app "my tracks")..

At home, I use a Siemens Gigaset one bluetooth gateway to route all TM calls to my cordless phones(with talking caller id). Bluetooth connection seams to fail to sync up a couple of times a month. But, forcing a bluetooth unpairing then reconnect on TM phone fixes this.

That's all for now.. This is one of the best deals I've gotten in long time..

=== updated 12/30/2013 ===
T-mobile's data network has fallen over.. and died..(~12/28..12/29) everything is like 2G speeds or slower in my neck of south Florida. It's like the republican convention all over again..

My tests indicate routing loop activity, periodic timeouts/long ping responses, but there is no way to communicate this info to the appropriate people.. (Spent an hour on tech support.. with no results.. )

All the final tech support did was give me a new APN(fast.tmobile.com), which had no effect..

Web pages that normally load in less than a second, now take minutes.

Followup.. My idea, by forcing my Samsung exhibit II 4g phone to use only the 1900mhz band(Iphone band).. data access is wayy better.. almost normal.. I just hope I can keep on using it..

member for 9.9 years, 1421 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
ArizonaSteve

·Sipgate VOIP

Glad to hear 1900Mhz works.

I also purchased a 4G Exhibit II back in January with the $30/mo plan but since it can't get the more common 3G and there aren't very many 4G towers around it turned out to be mostly worthless and couldn't get data anywhere unless it was on wi-fi so I gave up after a while and got a Galaxy S-2. I was wondering if it would work on the new 3G 1900Mhz service, if it does that might give it some useful life after all so it won't be a total waste of money.
Mine was already at 2.3.5 and I updated to 2.3.6 but couldn't really tell any difference. I also rooted it and updated to 4.0.3 to see if that would give it 3G capability and while Android 4 runs OK data still won't work anywhere around here.
BTW, if you miss paying your bill on time your service might revert back to the regular plan (I heard of it happening to someone) but you can avoid that by setting up auto pay using a credit card so it gets paid automatically each month.

·Sipgate VOIP

Re: Glad to hear 1900Mhz works.

Since they have started moving 3G from 1700Mhz to 1900Mhz so iPhones can use it and there is one of those towers just a block or two from my house my old Exhibit II has started working again! Looks like there might actually be some useful life left in it after all!

Review by sk1939 See Profile

• Location: Laurel,Prince Georges,MD
Good "Cheap, decent 4G speeds, good coverage area."
Bad "Does not work in tunnels, some rural areas, metro/train stations."
Overall "Decent cost/benefit for Voice and Data"

I first got T Mobile way back before Cingular merged with AT&T to form AT&T Wireless. At the time I was using AT&T prepaid, but somehow during the transition with Cingular (around 2005), I not only lost service, but lost my entire account as well. Still needing a cell phone I signed up with T-Mobile which included 300 minutes for what was a relatively reasonable $25 a month (never used all of them). A few years later, around 2007, I moved to a family plan that I have been happy with, and added data and text to a single line for a few dollars more a month. All in all, 3 lines with text ($5 for 500 messages) and 200MB ($15) on one line for $100 a month is doing pretty well I would say, and using unlocked phones exclusively has lead to the benefit of not being locked into a contract as well (once the initial two years were up).

Update 1/10/12: T Mobile updated my SIM card to a "4G" sim (I had the original EDGE SIM), but I still get a 2G signal in northern PA while AT&T has at least 3G. That being said, signal in the DC area is 4G HSPA and speedy on the Galaxy Nexus. I also get a signal in oddball places, for example I get a strong signal in Romeoville, Illinois, and along I-80 in Indiana and Ohio, but not up toward Corning, NY.

Monthly Charges: $84.97
Use Charges: $0.80
Other Charges: $4.87
Taxes and Fees: $11.30

Update 10/15/12: Coverage varies wildly depending on geographic location. I get 4G speeds in the DC and Bay Area, but once you get out towards Rochester, NY or the Philidelpia/Allentown area you are lucky if you get 3G speeds, for the most part it's 2G if you get a signal at all. However the signal issue is only a problem if your inside of a building.

Update 5/31/13: I have found that a year later I still have the same service quality in most all areas. This means that I get 3G or HSPA/4G in major metropolitan areas like Washington, DC, Syracuse, NY, and Naperville, Ill, but 2G or no coverage in Ithaca, NY, Williamsport, PA, and most anywhere that isn't a major population center.

Monthly Charges: $84.97
Use Charges: $0.60
Other Charges: $4.83
Taxes and Fees: $11.15
Total New Charges: 101.55

Update 12/20/13

With my plan I get the Unlimited International Web, and Unlimited International Text for free, with calls costing $.20 a min. While the mobile web is slow (high speed costs more) it is plenty fast for basic apps such as Google Translate, Maps, and email. If your hoping to update your Facebook, upload pictures, or stream music you would want to buy the highspeed data option.

member for 3.4 years, 1414 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
ArizonaSteve

$30 Unlimited Data?

Have you noticed they are selling a plan with Unlimited Data and Text for just $30/mo no contract at Walmart? Only 100 minutes though. The plan with Unlimited Data, Voice and Text is $50. Not sure how you get it exactly, looks like buying a new phone is required.
sk1939
join:2010-10-23
Mclean, VA

Re: $30 Unlimited Data?

I hadn't noticed actually. However, I do have 3 lines on this plan, two of which are still under contract.
tkdslr

join:2004-04-24
Pompano Beach, FL
·Speakeasy
I'm currently using the 5GB-4G .. over 2G unlimited messaging, $30 Walmart plan. And yes, I did purchase a Samsung exhibit II 4g from a local Walmart store for $199.

And if you charge up your account with a few extra $, extra minutes over 100 a month are $0.10 per minute.

All in all .. it's a good deal..

Review by milkman82 See Profile

• Location: Cleveland,Cuyahoga,OH
Good "Speed, Price, Customer Service"
Bad "Not enough towers!"
Overall "I am excited about owning a cell phone again thanks to T-mobile"

I had AT&T for 6 years. I loved them up until about 2 years ago. With the unlimited data throttle BS. Not to forget the high price on low minuets.

I decided to leave AT&T for T-mobile. Their coverage is not strong like AT&T or Verizon, however, what good is great coverage if you can use it at full potential!?

So far I love this carrier and think I'll be sticking around for awhile!

Comments:

Review by alanxenos See Profile

• Location: Winnetka,Cook,IL
Good "Rock-solid connection, good price, no overages!"
Bad "Poor building penetration"
Overall "Good for the price, and rock-solid HSPA+"

·Sprint Broadband..
UPDATE 12 NOV 2013 - Due to many network changes happening since my last update, I have written a new review. The old one is at the bottom, left for posterity.

I love T-Mobile service. I have used it in some way or another for about 4 years, and since April 13 it has been my primary device. It works well, and I have tested many devices ranging from the iPhone 4 to my current Atrix HD. 70/month for unlimited everything, and H+ reception is stellar in Chicago.

Old review:

I currently have 3 T-Mo devices: 1 HTC HD2, 1 HTC Vision (G2/Desire Z) and 1 Motorola Cliq2. All three are great devices, but only the G2 has full HSPA+ capabilities. But, you do not really notice that you are only using 3G on the others, that is how good the speed is. The only issue I have had is the slight lag when switching from H+ to 3G. And, there is a glitch in the stock G2 rom that causes any 3G/4G network to be labeled as "H" next to the signal bars, even though there is supposed to be a separate "H+" logo for 4g. The logos are in the framework-res.apk, but they are not used. I digress. All in all ,T-Mobile is a great service provider in the Chicagoland area.

UPDATE - 16/11/2011 - Same is before, all devices function fine except for the Cliq2 as the screen physically detached from the phone/keyboard body (wtf?)

member for 5.5 years, 439 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
iFail 5G

join:2011-08-03

G2

Well the reason the G2 shows H instead of H+ is because the G2 actually isn't an HSPA+ device. It only has an HSDPA 14.4 radio in it, but since its faster than HSPA 7.2 T-Mobile falsely labels it a *4G* handset. Same thing with AT&T, the only real HSPA+ handsets are Category 14 handsets which are HSPA+ 21.1

Review by cb14 See Profile

• Location: Miami Beach,Miami-Dade,FL
Good "price, GSM carrier"
Bad "rural coverage "
Overall "recommended"

On edit 2013/10/06
Connection reliability has improved somewhat lately, I am upgrading the rating.

I have service with TMO US for over 6 years I have a legacy 1500 minute voice plan for 39.95 plus abot $ 9.80 in taxes and junk fees and an unlocked Nokia C3-01.
I cannot comment much on data, because I use data on the phone only via wi-fi.
TMO used to have an exceptional customer service, unfortunately it got significantly worse lately . Also the signal and connection quality decreased over the last 18 months. The problems are most pronounced with 2G services- there are rumors that TMO moved away a part of their 1900 Mh PCS spectrum.The formerly excellent coverage maps were replaced with optimistic, unreliable propaganda maps( like the other carriers). Some rough business practices popped up lately, like the lightning fast disconnecting of service once the account is past due.
Rural coverage is not great in many areas. I use a Verizon prepaid as a back up.Calls get forwarded to once I am out of coverage- a great feature.
Choice of phones is not great, but an advantage of a GSM carrier is the availability of vast selection of unlocked GSM phones on Amazon.
Having said all of that, I still consider T-Mobile USA the best choice out of the 'big four'

member for 1.1 years, 458 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
dickybilly

·magicjack.com

TMO is fine but change to their cheaper prepaid plans

I too have been a TMO legacy customer for 7 years. Currently I pay $65/mo incl fees for unlimited voice. Text is 20cents/msg, data @ $2/mb since I don't use much data. Locally in the Dallas TX region I've never had an issue with quality of voice, text and 3G data. When I travel to south FL the TMO 2G and voice service is terrible but the 3G/4G is better.
I'm about to kill my current plan (I haven't had a contract with TMO for years) for a TMO prepaid $30/mo 1500 minutes voice/text and 30mb data/month. One has to be crazy to continue to pay for the higher TMO rate plans.
I've also had TMO@home broadband voice for years. Service has never been a problem but paying $13/mo incl fees for home voice is steep considering cheaper MagicJackPlus service (which I've tested as fine but watch out for them nickel and diming you over service costs).
I'm about to drop TMO@home because once I go prepaid for TMO cell service they won't allow me to keep TMO@home service. I'm porting my phone# to MagicjackPlus service for less than 1/2 the cost/year than TMO@home. I may be one of the few people who are satisfied with MJPlus.
TMO technical support is getting rough over the phone or chat online. Sometimes good most times spotty. Customer service in-store is spotty..if you find a good rep stick with him or her otherwise keep looking in other stores until you find one you can depend on who knows TMO. BTW, don't trust anything an in-store rep sez w/o doing your own investigation of plans and rates. DO NOT sign up for anything w/o leaving the store and checking first.
TBBroadband

join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH
·MegaPath

Re: TMO is fine but change to their cheaper prepaid plans

Actually your post is incorrect. TMO does care what phones you attach to their network. They have a clause that any phone that is NOT purchased from their actual Corp. Stores or via www.t-mobile.com they do not have to support not allow it on their network. They have had that clause since using the Voice Stream brand. Phones from dealers also fall into that category of does not have to be supported.

please reread my post
"I've twice brought my own GSM phone over the internet and connected them to TMO w/o any issue on their part. They don't care what phone you connect to their network."

cb14

join:2013-02-04
Miami Beach, FL
·localphone.com
·Google Voice
·Callcentric
·magicjack.com
Before you decide to go with prepaid please consider that prepaid TMO plans are in network only, meaning NO ROAMING which will make the not so great rural coverage far worse. With the worsening performance of the TMO voice services in South FL I already have to use a Verizon prepaid phone as a back up.
It is your choice, but before you spend money porting your number to Magic Junk you may want to port it to Google Voice, get a Obi 100 for $ 40.- and enjoy a free service with voice quality way above MJ. Plus , you can put a second provider on your Obi, e.g. the free NYC DID from Callcentric on pay as you go for outgoing calls.
To the other poster : TMO does not provide technical support for a non- TMO phone, which means if you have a problem with the handset you have to contact the manufacturer, but otherwise they SUPPORT them.

Re: TMO is fine but change to their cheaper prepaid plans

Thanks for the suggestions. Luckily my South FL travel areas don't include (I think) roaming areas but I have to investigate further. Generally my SFL area is the I-95 corridor between Ft. Lauderdale and Miami, west to the BB&T Center in Sunrise where voice/data is the worst but still in network.
As for MagicJack, for my local area it's fine and I welcome your suggestion, thanks.

The biggest issue I have with roaming is many people (including TMO instore staff) have told me roaming is not included ... and I believe it...however the TMO website for the prepaid plans sez "National coverage with no roaming charges"...
I suppose in TMO doubletalk they mean no roaming charges because they don't allow roaming off their national network. the TMO phone must go dead for out of network calling when on a prepaid plan.

cb14

join:2013-02-04
Miami Beach, FL
·localphone.com
·Google Voice
·Callcentric

Re: TMO is fine but change to their cheaper prepaid plans

You are correct. In the area you described you do not need roaming indeed.
Love the doubletalk ! Basically it means that you do not have to pay for what they do not offer. Very generous, I would say.

Review by BR549 See Profile

• Location: Commerce,Jackson,GA
Good "Super value for a family of 5"
Bad "Only 2g service were we live"
Overall "Very good value at $22. per month per line unlimited everything"

·Windstream
We have been TMO customers for several years now and with the new plan are happier than ever.

Even though we only have 2g service were we live there is 4g service in the more populated areas around us so hopefully TMO will eventually provide us with faster service.

Some places we travel have no TMO service but roaming on ATT for voice and text is fine. Areas that lack both ATT and TMO we use WIFI calling provided by TMO and it works great, better than any other VOIP solution I have found.