T-Mobile US page on DSLReports

Review by cb14 See Profile

• Location: Miami Beach,Miami-Dade,FL
Good "price, plans, customer service,no contract, metro connection quality,GSM carrier"
Bad "rural coverage "
Overall "strongly recommended"

On edit 2014/10/15 getting better and better. Due to increase in customer numbers, sometimes longer waits for CS.

On edit 2014-06-04
I have changed my legacy plan to the new unlimited minutes, texting and 500MB data capped for $ 40/month plus about $ 9.90/month in taxes and junk fees.
There is an overall improvement noticeable lately, although some issues remain. TMO is by far the best of the big four, nobody coming even close.

On edit 2013/10/06
Connection reliability has improved somewhat lately, I am upgrading the rating.

I have service with TMO US for over 6 years I have a legacy 1500 minute voice plan for 39.95 plus about $ 9.80 in taxes and junk fees and an unlocked Nokia C3-01.
I cannot comment much on data, because I use data on the phone only via wi-fi.
TMO used to have an exceptional customer service, unfortunately it got significantly worse lately . Also the signal and connection quality decreased over the last 18 months. The problems are most pronounced with 2G services- there are rumors that TMO moved away a part of their 1900 Mhz PCS spectrum.The formerly excellent coverage maps were replaced with optimistic, unreliable propaganda maps( like the other carriers). Some rough business practices popped up lately, like the lightning fast disconnecting of service once the account is past due.
Rural coverage is not great in many areas. I use a Verizon prepaid as a back up.Calls get forwarded to once I am out of coverage- a great feature.
Choice of phones is not great, but an advantage of a GSM carrier is the availability of vast selection of unlocked GSM phones on Amazon.
Having said all of that, I still consider T-Mobile USA the best choice out of the 'big four'

member for 1.7 years, 630 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
dickybilly

·magicjack.com

TMO is fine but change to their cheaper prepaid plans

I too have been a TMO legacy customer for 7 years. Currently I pay $65/mo incl fees for unlimited voice. Text is 20cents/msg, data @ $2/mb since I don't use much data. Locally in the Dallas TX region I've never had an issue with quality of voice, text and 3G data. When I travel to south FL the TMO 2G and voice service is terrible but the 3G/4G is better.
I'm about to kill my current plan (I haven't had a contract with TMO for years) for a TMO prepaid $30/mo 1500 minutes voice/text and 30mb data/month. One has to be crazy to continue to pay for the higher TMO rate plans.
I've also had TMO@home broadband voice for years. Service has never been a problem but paying $13/mo incl fees for home voice is steep considering cheaper MagicJackPlus service (which I've tested as fine but watch out for them nickel and diming you over service costs).
I'm about to drop TMO@home because once I go prepaid for TMO cell service they won't allow me to keep TMO@home service. I'm porting my phone# to MagicjackPlus service for less than 1/2 the cost/year than TMO@home. I may be one of the few people who are satisfied with MJPlus.
TMO technical support is getting rough over the phone or chat online. Sometimes good most times spotty. Customer service in-store is spotty..if you find a good rep stick with him or her otherwise keep looking in other stores until you find one you can depend on who knows TMO. BTW, don't trust anything an in-store rep sez w/o doing your own investigation of plans and rates. DO NOT sign up for anything w/o leaving the store and checking first.
TBBroadband

join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH
·MegaPath

Re: TMO is fine but change to their cheaper prepaid plans

Actually your post is incorrect. TMO does care what phones you attach to their network. They have a clause that any phone that is NOT purchased from their actual Corp. Stores or via www.t-mobile.com they do not have to support not allow it on their network. They have had that clause since using the Voice Stream brand. Phones from dealers also fall into that category of does not have to be supported.

please reread my post
"I've twice brought my own GSM phone over the internet and connected them to TMO w/o any issue on their part. They don't care what phone you connect to their network."

cb14

join:2013-02-04
Miami Beach, FL
·localphone.com
·callwithus
·Google Voice
·Callcentric
·magicjack.com
Before you decide to go with prepaid please consider that prepaid TMO plans are in network only, meaning NO ROAMING which will make the not so great rural coverage far worse. With the worsening performance of the TMO voice services in South FL I already have to use a Verizon prepaid phone as a back up.
It is your choice, but before you spend money porting your number to Magic Junk you may want to port it to Google Voice, get a Obi 100 for $ 40.- and enjoy a free service with voice quality way above MJ. Plus , you can put a second provider on your Obi, e.g. the free NYC DID from Callcentric on pay as you go for outgoing calls.
To the other poster : TMO does not provide technical support for a non- TMO phone, which means if you have a problem with the handset you have to contact the manufacturer, but otherwise they SUPPORT them.

Re: TMO is fine but change to their cheaper prepaid plans

Thanks for the suggestions. Luckily my South FL travel areas don't include (I think) roaming areas but I have to investigate further. Generally my SFL area is the I-95 corridor between Ft. Lauderdale and Miami, west to the BB&T Center in Sunrise where voice/data is the worst but still in network.
As for MagicJack, for my local area it's fine and I welcome your suggestion, thanks.

The biggest issue I have with roaming is many people (including TMO instore staff) have told me roaming is not included ... and I believe it...however the TMO website for the prepaid plans sez "National coverage with no roaming charges"...
I suppose in TMO doubletalk they mean no roaming charges because they don't allow roaming off their national network. the TMO phone must go dead for out of network calling when on a prepaid plan.

cb14

join:2013-02-04
Miami Beach, FL
·localphone.com
·callwithus
·Google Voice
·Callcentric

Re: TMO is fine but change to their cheaper prepaid plans

You are correct. In the area you described you do not need roaming indeed.
Love the doubletalk ! Basically it means that you do not have to pay for what they do not offer. Very generous, I would say.

Review by jackbookpro See Profile

• Location: Fort Collins,Larimer,CO
Good "Insanely fast LTE. Better coverage and performance every day. Contract free."
Bad "Spotty coverage in rural areas."
Overall "No better deal in wireless. Fastest speeds. Cheapest data."

About 1 year ago I chose to jump ship with AT&T after they decided to start severely throttling my unlimited data plan. I could not be happier with the decision to switch. No-contract is wonderful and BYOD is actually PROMOTED by T-Mobile.

T-Mobile's network is insanely fast. When I first switched our area (Fort Collins) didn't eve have LTE yet, but one of the best prices of T-Mobile is their super fast 3G+ network TMo's DC-HSPA+ network is actually significantly faster than AT&Ts LTE, averaging at ~20Mbps down and ~5Mbps up. About 3 months in, our area was upgraded to LTE and the speeds are incredible. T-Mobile installed 10+10Mhz AWS LTE and I regularly see speeds around town as fast as 60Mbps. When visiting Minneapolis, one of TMo's 15+15 markets, I saw speeds of over 80Mbps. Crazy!

These speeds would be useless without unlimited data, and so far I have used up to 150GB in a month and seen no throttling. Somewhat of a well loved secret on T-Mobile is that if you bring an unlocked android phone, you can use your unlimited plan for tethering and basically replace cable.

The one downside for all this speed is spotty coverage in some areas, but I've actually experienced rural coverage improving and T-Mobile seems to be very actively upgrading their network at an incredible pace. I look forward to seeing the rollout of 700Mhz later this year to witness how this affects euro coverage.

Overall I have been incredibly pleased. Technical support has been fantastic and store employees have been knowledgeable. A world of difference from my expiriences with both Comcast and AT&T. I hope T-Mobile continues with their innovative business model and continues to evolve its network at the current pace.

Comments:
greatshow09

join:2013-07-07
Minneapolis, MN

OMG That LTE -It gets up to 20mbps faster than my house.

T-Mobile's new network is amazing. If you get LTE, you surely wont be disappointed.
Speeds reach as high as 60-70mbps where it's available.

Review by oneacn See Profile

• Location: Polk City,Polk,FL
Good "Excellent Customer Service"
Bad "Coverage.. Grrr 7 Miles From The Tower "
Overall "T Mobile gives the customer what they need in order for their service to work"

I have a Samsung 4G LTE Mobile Hotspot and their old Cell Fi Unit which only does 3g 4g. I am waiting to get a phone call from T Mobile on them sending me an LTE Signal Repeater. Service is good, if something goes wrong, I just pull the battery on my device and reset the repeater and we are good to go. I have only had to reset the repeater 5 x in 2 months. I just use the Mobile Hotspot for World Of Warcraft.

Good Service
Good Price
Good Customer Service @ Executive Customer Relations

Comments:

Review by mark760 See Profile

• Location: Milwaukee,Milwaukee,WI
Good "easy to set up"
Bad "capped, but most generous"
Overall "internet in a hurry, best bet"

my dsl went down on a saturday....Was told the following thursday would send someone to look at it. Hopped in my car and went to wally world and picked up a 4g hot spot with 5 gigs for $50. In minutes was online. Granted my speeds arent the greatest, but it is better than nothing. I am pretty easy to please, just make the process simple and have the service be reliable.

Comments:

Review by Zenit See Profile

• Location: Purcellville,Loudoun,VA
Good "Cheap - $100 for 4 lines with unlim. talk/text + 1GB data, Great CS, Fast"
Bad "EDGE remaining in the network, Poor Indoor coverage"
Overall "Excellent service for the money if you can get coverage. Pushing change in the industry."

·Verizon Online DSL
Update September 8 2014:
More and more 3G HSDPA and 4G LTE keeps popping up - looks like they are on track for the end of 2015 for total replacement of the EDGE network.

Our high speed cap has been increased to 1GB for free, the addition of free music streaming is nice for when I am in urban areas. Once the network refarm is done I will be able to use streaming music most of the time when driving.

Voice Quality on the EDGE network has improved slightly - this is probably an anecdotal observation.
Indoor coverage is poor unless the building is made of Drywall/Wood and or right next to the tower. Concrete and Metal destroys the high frequencies T-Mobile uses. A phone with a really good antenna is an ok band-aid for this along with VOIP.

Update June 27 2014:
T-Mobile continues to improve its network in the NOVA region. 3G HSDPA and 4G LTE is now available in more places than ever before. Family member with an iPhone 5s got 25mbit down, 7 up on their LTE in a dense area.

They increased our data cap from 500MB to 1GB for free. Cant complain. In the 7 years we were with AT&T, we got NOTHING for free.
I have uploaded 3 speedtests to this review - 1 on LTE, 2 on 3G.

Update Jan 31 2014:
T-Mobile coverage continues to improve, I am running into EDGE less and less in the Northern VA region. Most of the suburban and urban areas east of the Blue Ridge Mountain can get 4G LTE or 3G HSDPA service. The 4g/3g tower near my house was re-calibrated - the signal now makes it inside at 3 bar strength - speed measured at 4mbit down, 2 up. Better than my old VZ DSL!

The quality of the EDGE networks voice has noticeably dropped, though. Half the time the voice quality sounds like one of the old analog long distance circuits that are long gone. Call quality on the refarmed 3G is very good.
Texting has been reliable, messages don't end up lost in the network for hours.

I am no longer using an iPhone 4, switched to a hand-me-down Motorola Atrix. The antenna in the Atrix is much better and I see less odd tower ping-ponging than I did with iOS. Cyanogenmod allows me to specify what network technology my phone will stay put on (currently its set to HSDPA only).

A family member on this plan recently upgraded to the iPhone 5S - T-Mobiles LTE service is as fast as our home internet from Comcast most of the time (20-30mbit down)! This really stunned me. Of course, a wireless connection is NOT a replacement for a wired connection.

The day when most of the EDGE towers are replaced with 3g and LTE towers will be a great day...
Concerned about the future with the possible Sprint buyout.

Update Sept. 29 2013:
T-Mobile has recently begun re-farming towers near my house. I see 3G popping up on my iPhone at random while at home. Unfortunately, an EDGE only tower is closer, and overtakes it.
They ARE investing in their network, and once all the early-2000s EDGE 2g equipment is replaced, their network will look a LOT better.

Looking forward to it. A healthy T-Mobile is good for competition.

-Original Review-

We switched from AT&T in March of 2013. AT&T CS was apathetic to our concerns of high cost with limited features (no texting, unlimited talk, and only 200mb of data on 2 lines + 2 plain lines was $200 a month!). AT&Ts representatives were so bad that we decided to switch to T-Mobile. We kept our AT&T phones (iPhone 4, and 2 Android devices + 1 dumbphone)

The savings have been worth it. No longer do we have to worry about sending a text, or using the data features on our phones. While the data is not unlimited, most of T-Mobiles network in Virginia is EDGE anyways, so we never use up our high speed data cap. In areas where the re-farmed 3G is present, the service is excellent. Data speeds are a consistent 4Mbit down, 1 up. Tethering works very well.

Even the EDGE network is OK. It is sufficient for checking email, navigation, iMessage, and quick lookup of information via the Opera browser (which compresses images to make the internet bearable on a 20k connection).

There are more dead zones than what we had with AT&T, but we can forgive this easily.

T-Mobiles CS is excellent. In the beginning we had some SIM activation issues, as well as billing. They actually gave us back more money than they owed due to the billing issue, as a gesture of good service.

I hope they will continue to improve their existing network and upgrade the EDGE only towers to modern equipment. If they continue doing what they have been doing, they will be in a position to compete with AT&T for customers that dont need coverage in deep rural areas. T-Mobile tends to cover small towns, highways, and cities well. (Of course, its EDGE for the time being in most places)

member for 2.4 years, 683 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

StevenP88

join:2010-11-01
Springfield, MO
·CableOne

AT&T Prcing

Actually AT&T has unlimited talk,text and 6 GB of data which includes 4 phones for 250 a month, that's the plan I have with them and the service and internet speed away better than T-Mobile any day, even the call quality is much better, I have a business plan with them since I have my own company, Premiere support is AMAZING and they will bend over backwards for you, I have 4 lines on my account, 1 for my brother and 1 for his fiance, 1 for myself and 1for my partner.. I would give AT&T another look, and honestly they are not that bad, I have never dropped a call or lost service with them, were as with T-Mobile we struggled to even get service even though supposedly provide perfect service here.. PLUS I can have 10 lines on one account with no deposits ever and even start a second account with the same amount of lines and still no deposit lol
medbuyer

join:2003-11-20

Re: AT&T Prcing

except not everybody can have premier access like you...they only give you that since they can milk more money out of your business that you're giving to them...

even after you're paid for the phone unit, you're still paying for the price which in the end amounts to almost 3 phones after paying for service for 24 months...

let's see if you can figure that out and do the math...

Review by clone See Profile

• Location: Portage,Porter,IN
Good "Just converted my main line to T-Mobile and Loving it!"

I've had two cell phones for years, one for business and one for personal use. I keep Verizon for business use, but my personal line I bounce around here and there as the deals come and go. I finally got a *good* handset on T-Mobile and I have to say I'm very impressed. Coverage is very handset dependent, I've noticed, as my G2 provides excellent service, while iPhone and Nokia Lumia 925 left a lot to be desired. Speeds are consistent, I've never seen lower than 14 Megabit/sec on the download anywhere in the greater Chicago area. In the outlying areas things can get a bit more spotty, but I don't generally stray too far out of the area and I've never been without reception except deep in the bowels of some buildings where I would use Wi-Fi anyway.

Anyway, if you live in a good reception area (in or near a city) from T-Mobile give them a try. Obviously, they aren't for the rural users in most of the country, but beyond that no complaints from me!

Comments:

Review by sk1939 See Profile

• Location: Laurel,Prince Georges,MD
Good "Cheap, decent 4G speeds, good coverage area."
Bad "Does not work in tunnels, some rural areas, metro/train stations."
Overall "Decent cost/benefit for Voice and Data"

I first got T Mobile way back before Cingular merged with AT&T to form AT&T Wireless. At the time I was using AT&T prepaid, but somehow during the transition with Cingular (around 2005), I not only lost service, but lost my entire account as well. Still needing a cell phone I signed up with T-Mobile which included 300 minutes for what was a relatively reasonable $25 a month (never used all of them). A few years later, around 2007, I moved to a family plan that I have been happy with, and added data and text to a single line for a few dollars more a month. All in all, 3 lines with text ($5 for 500 messages) and 200MB ($15) on one line for $100 a month is doing pretty well I would say, and using unlocked phones exclusively has lead to the benefit of not being locked into a contract as well (once the initial two years were up).

Update 1/10/12: T Mobile updated my SIM card to a "4G" sim (I had the original EDGE SIM), but I still get a 2G signal in northern PA while AT&T has at least 3G. That being said, signal in the DC area is 4G HSPA and speedy on the Galaxy Nexus. I also get a signal in oddball places, for example I get a strong signal in Romeoville, Illinois, and along I-80 in Indiana and Ohio, but not up toward Corning, NY.

Monthly Charges: $84.97
Use Charges: $0.80
Other Charges: $4.87
Taxes and Fees: $11.30

Update 10/15/12: Coverage varies wildly depending on geographic location. I get 4G speeds in the DC and Bay Area, but once you get out towards Rochester, NY or the Philidelpia/Allentown area you are lucky if you get 3G speeds, for the most part it's 2G if you get a signal at all. However the signal issue is only a problem if your inside of a building.

Update 5/31/13: I have found that a year later I still have the same service quality in most all areas. This means that I get 3G or HSPA/4G in major metropolitan areas like Washington, DC, Syracuse, NY, and Naperville, Ill, but 2G or no coverage in Ithaca, NY, Williamsport, PA, and most anywhere that isn't a major population center.

Monthly Charges: $84.97
Use Charges: $0.60
Other Charges: $4.83
Taxes and Fees: $11.15
Total New Charges: 101.55

Update 12/20/13

With my plan I get the Unlimited International Web, and Unlimited International Text for free, with calls costing $.20 a min. While the mobile web is slow (high speed costs more) it is plenty fast for basic apps such as Google Translate, Maps, and email. If your hoping to update your Facebook, upload pictures, or stream music you would want to buy the highspeed data option.

Update 8/11/14

I've since changed my plan to 1GB of data for all lines (4 lines total), unlimited talk, unlimited text, and International data & text for $110 a month.

member for 3.9 years, 1622 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
ArizonaSteve

join:2004-01-31
Apache Junction, AZ

$30 Unlimited Data?

Have you noticed they are selling a plan with Unlimited Data and Text for just $30/mo no contract at Walmart? Only 100 minutes though. The plan with Unlimited Data, Voice and Text is $50. Not sure how you get it exactly, looks like buying a new phone is required.
sk1939
join:2010-10-23
Mclean, VA

Re: $30 Unlimited Data?

I hadn't noticed actually. However, I do have 3 lines on this plan, two of which are still under contract.
tkdslr

join:2004-04-24
Pompano Beach, FL
·Speakeasy
I'm currently using the 5GB-4G .. over 2G unlimited messaging, $30 Walmart plan. And yes, I did purchase a Samsung exhibit II 4g from a local Walmart store for $199.

And if you charge up your account with a few extra $, extra minutes over 100 a month are $0.10 per minute.

All in all .. it's a good deal..

Review by Acct101 See Profile

• Location: Bensalem,Bucks,PA
Good "Very happy with T-Mobile. Their customer service is five stars. "

One of the best decisions I made was going to T-Mobile. Their customer service department has been very patient and helpful guiding me through any concerns I had or walking me through issues i had with the phone. From day one, they treated me like family and because of this, I would never switch.

member for 3 years, 501 visits, last login: a few minutes ago

Comments:

Review by Jusmrg See Profile

• Location: Belmont,Gaston,NC
Good "Fastest in the Charlotte NC Market"
Bad "If you travel off into the sticks... You will find the dreaded "E" "
Overall "Good value for money"

I am in Belmont, North Carolina and I get very good speeds ranging from 10-50 mbps down and 5-15 mbps up on T-Mobile LTE or HSPA+ network. I am paying $70 a month for Unlimited Talk, Text and Data. (I am grandfathered into the $20 unlimited plan). I am somewhat of a heavy user; I use about 30GB per month on T-Mobile. LTE in the Charlotte NC market is ran on the 2100 Mhz Frequency and sometimes when your getting a weak signal it will fall back to the 1900 Mhz PCS HPSA+ network. If you travel away from the interstate or outside of the beaten path you will find the EDGE network.

T-Mobile really has no "Dead" spots in the Gastonia area except in the Bi-Lo on S. New Hope Rd. . A few places i noticed where I didnt have a strong signal and I was dropped back to EDGE was near Lowell Bethedsa Rd and Titman Rd. S. New Hope Rd and Armstrong Rd in Belmont is a trouble area.

There is times at my home where my signal just randomly drops from LTE down to HSPA then to EDGE. I go into the mobile networks and select "WCDMA Only" and it connects to 4G and then switch it back to LTE/WCDMA/EDGE and it sometimes gets its LTE back.

In Gaston County if you travel North of Dallas your on EDGE as well as the entire city of Stanley. Travel west past Kings Mountain and you will meet the EDGE network.

T-Mobile does not have a roaming agreement with other providers like AT&T in the Charlotte Market.

If your looking for a company with the best coverage in the area it would have to be Verizon Wireless. AT&T is very reliable also; they come with a price though. (my company phone is on Verizon). T-Mobile is reliable if you can stay in a populated area. Sprint is just plain iffy in the Gastonia Market.

here is a summary of my plan

PLAN

$9.99

DATA SERVICE
Unlimited Nationwide 4G
$20.00

I really hopes this helps on making an informed decision on a Wireless Phone in the Gastonia/Charlotte NC market.

member for 10.3 years, 133 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by fenix_jn See Profile

• Location: Hialeah,Miami-Dade,FL
Good "Reliable service, better signal penetration than Sprint's CDMA"
Bad "A bit slower speed on LTE compared to Sprint...might change in the near future"
Overall "Very decent service with very decent pricing"

06/21/2014: Still going strong with TMo. I upgraded to a GN3 and the service is still very good. Recently found out that LTE seems to drain my battery faster than UMTS so in areas with low coverage, rather than have the phone permanently looking for LTE service, I set it up so it only connects to UMTS. In addition, some areas have reported that are able to use VoLTE (voice over LTE) after an OTA to their (branded) devices.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Well finally jumped from Sprint to TMo about a month ago: service has been very good when compared to Sprint at my new location: Sprint got dumped for two main reasons: $200+ charge (after corp discount) AND really bad service (non-existent) at my new house.

So far service has been really nice: got LTE/HSPDA almost anywhere (in Miami that is) and it is also 'unlimited'... although not as 'unlimited' as Sprint's: Sprint's service did not mind how I was using my data, be it on the phone or tethering... TMo does mind: it is unlimited only on the device itself, even though they include a 500 MB tethering plan, after you hit the 500MB mark then you get redirected to a page to add 2G more for some price. Sprint NEVER had this issue at all regardless of data destination. Although this can be bypassed, some websites do not like the bypass itself.

Speed-wise, on LTE I have been able to hit 10 - 15 Mbps down / 1 - 2 Mbps up which is decent for mobile service. For gaming, it can run some FPS games with acceptable latency (25 to 50ms). As far as equipment, T-Mo BYOD policy allowed me to bring over a Nexus 4 from Google Play and get service on it (yes Nexus 4 supports T-Mo's LTE service), I only asked for the micro-sim.

BE AWARE: T-MOBILE WILL RUN A HARD CHECK AGAINST YOUR CREDIT. I thought that since there was no contract, similarly to prepaid service, I would just walk with my phone activated... well they do check your credit to get service.

member for 7.8 years, 2365 visits, last login: a few hours ago