T-Mobile US page on DSLReports

Review by jbgroup1 See Profile

• Location: Dayton,Howard,MD
Good "Works well great call quality."
Bad "2G in some rural areas"
Overall "Great speeds, great calling and an overall good experience"

Got two phones with two different plans. My main phone which is a Galaxy S III has 500 anytime minutes and unlimited text and web (5GB at "4G" speeds). This plan also allows tethering. My other phone is a CM10 modded Galaxy S II and has the monthly US$30 unlimited text and 5GB data and 100 min. talk. This phone I use to tether my tablet for data while on the bus/train. Both plans have worked out so far and I have used the $30 plan for my data needs. It's good to have 10GB available per month. Overall I would say this is a great value.

10-Dec-2014:

I am now on the 4 lines for US$100 however one line is unlimited for US$30 more and another one has a 4.5GB cap for US $10 more. The other two lines are for 2.5GB. In 2016 The line's data caps fall to 3.5 on one line and 1GB on two others while the unlimited line continues. I have been generally happy with the coverage and greatly pleased the very few times I have had to contact customer service.

member for 14.6 years, 6010 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by buddahbless See Profile

• Location: Premium
Good "Flat rate prepaid @ $66 per mth for 2 lines, can use any TMO/gsm/unlocked phone"
Bad "coverage is still A little lackluster but good 4G speeds now"
Overall "For the price and the locations I frequent it works for me..."

UPdate: 11/11/14

Well here it is 2.5 yrs later and Im still on Tmobile I have to say they are definitely giving me the best bang for my buck, Currently I'm with the business plans under a larger company. At first I was a bit hesitant but found out if I ever have an issue I call Tmobile directly and they take care of the situation.

SO current I jumped in on the unlimited talk, txt and 2.5 GB of LTE data on each line With tethering Inc. so with 2 lines that comes out to $66 per month inc tax I cant beat that. My LTE speeds are rater impressive, even in some small cities such as Ocala FL where I snowbird I pull 39 mbps down and 10 mbps up on average. However the major highway access outside of major metros is still lackluster in spots ( i75, i4 & i95, FL turnpike). However with the new music freedom option that really is not so much of a problem even in some areas that drops to 2G the service streams pretty good ( for pandora anyway not so much for slacker).

I at one time considered Sprint as there offer is $60 for unlimited everything even high speed data for one line, as I own a unlocked Nexus 5 I could use there service with it, however before I jumped ship I was also interested in the TMO $80 plan for myself as it is Identical to the Sprint $60 plan, I'm at the edge of the ship ready to jump but then I read the fine print, WAIT the devil is in the details!

With TMO in there $80 plan it include tethering (hotspot) UP TO 5 GB of it, Sprints plan did not offer that. As Im on the road a lot and tether my laptop I need this function as Im not willing to carry or pay for a second device just to do what my nexus 5 can do freely. Upon checking with sprint to just use 6GB of there unlimited there giving me in there $60 plan I would need to pony up and extra $50. Wait What? Yes so even though Sprint is advertising all over how there $60 plan is more affordable compared to TMOs $80 plan, to have ALL the same features ( tethering included) it would cost me $110 on Sprint per month VS TMOs $80. In the end I ran across The Harbor site that gave me 2.5 GB inc Tether. So I when I to look at my usage in the winter months Im usually around 2GB of tether now per month as I travel a lot less. I can always upgrade my line come spring if needed.

But in the end T-Mobile won my business again.. Now if they could just ether acquire some rural roaming or get in good on the upcoming 600 mhz auction and expand that into rural areas I would be a totally happy camper.

Original post....

Well I've had a hate love relationship with cell phone carriers for as while ( from the time they started number porting) from sprint , to virgin, ATT and verizon to name a few. The last 1 yr Ive pretty much been on Tmobile prepaid for the $50 and $60 unlimited plan. It works for me, while I'm on contract work I purchase the $60 plan for that month as I'll need a lot of data while Im on the go and times when Im Off I'll drop my rate to the $50 plan. The one main positive is I can use any Tmobile phone I want on there prepaid plan, CAN'T do that with Verizon, ATT, or Sprint. I have A G2X and I use it to wireless tether my laptop and media player to the Internet and it works great, As a matter of fact Im using it right now writing this review while typing on my HP elite book. Over all for the price against the big three its the best bang for your buck when it comes to flexibility. However against Spring and there MNVOs when Tmobile throttles you you might as well say good buy to all the fun stuff your use to. the only thing its good for afterwards is just basic web surfing...

I notice no matter if you have the $50, 60, or 70 plan after you get throttled you will not download anything faster than 90-118 kbps and the average I get is around 79 kbps in places around Florida. and your upload will vary between 110 and 180 kbps. So yes you will actually get a faster upload than download once throttled. thats a big difference from what the normal 4G speed now is, around 10mbps (or 10,000 kbps). Dropping from 10,000 to less than 100. as you know is a big change!

Also surely enough using and android phone with many apps updating can take forever once the throttle is put in place. Also one month I downgraded to the $50 plan I decided to let the phone do a google/ android app update and it ate through over 1/2 of the 100mb at 4G in just an hour with just the updates alone. so the phone really becomes just a basic web surfing phone with a pretty screen after day one. Just a word to the wise.. Id prefer truly unlimited 3G web on my phone vs. the threshold then throttled 4g that t mobile is currently offering.

Over all a good fair price and great for those who want to use a high end phone if if its only just for show.

>>>>UPDATE>>>>

recently moved services to Walmart Family mobile for a test run as of Feb 2012 and I couldn't pass up the limited time offer of unlimited 3G web with talk and txt, and I must say Im happier but not satisfied. well it does take a lot to please me. But lets start off with the fact that walmart mobile is simply just T-mobile postpaid without a contract. OK pros and cons...

. Lets start off with the fact that Walmart sells there service as unlimited T,T,& 3G web for $45. however you have to add taxes to that $45 becomes $50 after taxes and fees.

. You can only pay through Walmart and you must pay your bill on-time or there is a $5 fee.

. There unlimited talk and text is just that it it covers all of Tmo's network and some of there roaming partners but there unlimited 3G web is far from 3G

. T-mobile real 3G on my phone which is a 4G phone usually tops out around 5mbps on walmart mobile the highest Ive ever hit was 1.1 mbps. and this is coming from the same tower that before I switched I was receiving 9.2mbps on Tmo's 4g plan

.So that proves the Walmart service is being throttled and full 3G is NOT available.

. However the 5GB of data threshold is a LOT more gracious than Tmo's 100mbs for $50.

.Even at 1.1 mbps you still have enough throughput to tether any devices you have and be able to stream pandora, youtube, etc with no problem something that is impossible to do once Tmo throttles you after your 100mbs.

.You dont need a walmart mobile phone just a sim as you can use almost any T-mobile phone, with a few exceptions.

. In comparison to An offer from a company called simple mobile with walmart mobile you get more bang for your buck Simple's unlimited 3G plan actually only gets up to 256mbps.

.With Walmarts Plan you can add lines and save $10 per line something you CAN'T do with Tmo's own prepaid or simple mobiles plans.

. Im paying $50 for what TMO charges you for $70 a month for high speed internet access of 5GB. Im saving $240 a year and thats the real big picture.

So in conclusion Im happier however not still fully satisfied. if they would allow you to get your full 3G I'd rate it 8 out of 10. I have yet to deal with a customer support issue so that my mean +1/-1 in the grading scale.

Comments:

Review by OpTiC See Profile

• Location: West Covina,Los Angeles,CA
Good "Cheap cell phone carrier, fast speeds, great voice quality"
Bad "spotty converge in 4G living room"
Overall "Better that AT&T at least in my area"

·Charter
November 2014 - I also added a ipad 128gb to my line with a 5 gb data plan

July 2014- Have my supervisor on my family plan so he can save money. I kept my old plan Family 1,000 and my 5gb data plan with no texting and also added a hotspot to my line for free.

March 2014- I added a data plan to my phone because I need to use the internet . Still to this day T mobile still provides great service

December 2013- I upgrade my phone to the Samsung galaxy s4. Now I am in a payment plan. MY brothers friend that works for Tmobile lower the Family plan 1,000 minutes price from 49.99 to 39.99.

February 2010- I went to the T mobile store to renew my contract. The sales rep upgraded my voice plan from 700 minutes to 1,000 minutes. Still I would use 1/10 of the minutes

March 2006- Here is a one month update T mobile in my area provides better service that AT&T and sometimes on AT&T I experience drop calls

Feburary 2006- I sign up for T mobile because AT&T/Cingular screw me over the whole 2005 with billing problems. I got Tmobile 700 minutes family for 49.99.

==============================================================

I have great service when I migrate to Tmobile from AT&T I was blown away from the voice and their customer service

Coverage is great in my area in some areas I experience better coverage than AT&T

In the end, they are a decent choice amongst an area with very little to no other choices.

member for 289 days, 358 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by milkman82 See Profile

• Location: Cleveland,Cuyahoga,OH
Good "Speed"
Bad "Not enough towers, CS lies and gets very expensive later on. "
Overall "I am sad to say but T-Mobile plays dirty with billing.. "

I had AT&T for 6 years. I loved them up until about 2 years ago. With the unlimited data throttle BS. Not to forget the high price on low minuets.

I decided to leave AT&T for T-mobile. Their coverage is not strong like AT&T or Verizon, however, what good is great coverage if you can use it at full potential!?

So far I love this carrier and think I'll be sticking around for awhile!

Update 11/9/2014

Well have gone though a few bad months with T-mobile.. At one point I got charged for two months at once.. they are refusing to refund for that extra month.. stating I will get to use that once I decide to close service I will have the option to use that month..
Not happy at all..

Comments:

Review by cmarslett See Profile

• Location: Pflugerville,Travis,TX
Good "Cheap, good coverage except east of the UTexas campus, European coverage."
Bad "Nothing right now!"
Overall "Excellent on the road, at the airport, and tethering works great!"

We have 5 phone lines (2 Note 3s, 1 Note II, 1 Google Nexus GSM & 1 LG Optimus 9) and one tablet line (iPAD Air).

T-Mobile service is working out better than I expected. Support at the T-Mobile store is far better than my past experience with Verizon and AT&T. Web site and pre-sales support is their weak spot.

Unlimited voice/text/data is $110+ total: that's for 4 phone lines and maybe 4 tablet lines (promo through 2015). More lines are $10 each. 2.5GB of 4G data is the current promo for high speed data, after end of 2015, this reverts to 1GB of 4G data for phones and 512MB for tablets.

Includes free tablet line for each phone line, so I'm paying $140 (plus about $25 in extra fees) for the 6 lines total including the JUMP charge for the three newest phones (I may drop that, it's not a great deal). Free tethering, free data and text in Europe. THAT'S CHEAP.

SpeedTest.net tells me I get 70 ms pings and 2-7 Mbit down with 1-2 Mbit up these days. That's a bit slower than I got last year, probably because T-Mobile's "uncarrier" promos are overloading their backbone and towers. Still plenty fast though I think the spec for HSPA+ is 21 Mbit and LTE is twice that..

I would like better coverage (central Austin seems to be a black hole!). Otherwise, service is as good as it started out being.

Netflix looks as good as it could on a 5" screen. And of course tethering to my laptop in airports is a really good deal, too. Thank you, T-Mobile!

Comments:
ArizonaSteve

8-9 Mbit down?

Do you really get 8-9 Mbit down? Are you sure that's right? It doesn't seem possible since their "4G" is just the old 3G that was renamed but still runs at the same speed as evidenced by the fact there is no 3G anymore. Here in the Phoenix area there is no 3G now, just "4G" some places at about 2.7Mb and Edge everywhere else at 127Kb and it's too slow for any of the Android apps to work.
Their 3G used to connect at 7Mb and give a speed of about 3Mb but now the "4G" actually seems to be slower at 2.7Mb.
cmarslett

join:2006-11-22
Pflugerville, TX
·Clearwire
·NetTalk
·Clear Wireless
·Clearwire Wireless

Re: 8-9 Mbit down?

Not reliably, as I mentioned. I can download a 1.1 GB file and get that kind of speed at 2AM. I've done it 2-3 times just to verify it. That's tethered to my laptop, since even a high end phone with a fast SDcard can't handle that rate (as far as I can tell - Gnex can't, and a Nexus One with a C10 microSD both peak out at about a quarter of that).

But when the towers get really congested I have even seen the up/down drop to around 300kbit/600kbit (yeah, upload faster than download!).

And you're right about the 3G going away, here too, if I use HSPA+ I get a good signal in my office (Gnex). If I connect with the older 3G or HSPA(-) using my Nexus One, it drops out regularly. I suspect they are killing circuits right and left.

djdanska
Rudie32
Premium,MVM
join:2001-04-21
San Diego, CA
I have no problem downloading at over 20Mb/s down in northern Virginia, NYC, and Chicago using my HTC amaze 4g

buddahbless

join:2005-03-21

difference between 3G/4G TMO and ATT service

this may help explain the difference in terminology TMO and ATT (before LTE) use to describe there 3G and 4G service.
HSPA = 3G
HSPA+ =4G
»www.differencebetween.com/differ···hnology/

Re: difference between 3G/4G TMO and ATT service

That's not true for T-Mobile who seem to have come up with their own standards. Here in AZ for 3G they use HSPA+ on 1700Mhz. It connects at 7Mb and gives you an actual speed of about 3Mb down, 1-2Mb up. For 4G they use something called WCDMA on 1760Mhz but that only works in or around T-Mobile stores since there isn't much coverage anywhere else. The 4G speed measures just 4-5Mb though even with 5 bars at the store, it's not really fast like they claim.

Review by sk1939 See Profile

• Location: Laurel,Prince Georges,MD
Good "Cheap, decent 4G speeds, good coverage area."
Bad "Does not work in tunnels, some rural areas, metro/train stations."
Overall "Decent cost/benefit for Voice and Data"

I first got T Mobile way back before Cingular merged with AT&T to form AT&T Wireless. At the time I was using AT&T prepaid, but somehow during the transition with Cingular (around 2005), I not only lost service, but lost my entire account as well. Still needing a cell phone I signed up with T-Mobile which included 300 minutes for what was a relatively reasonable $25 a month (never used all of them). A few years later, around 2007, I moved to a family plan that I have been happy with, and added data and text to a single line for a few dollars more a month. All in all, 3 lines with text ($5 for 500 messages) and 200MB ($15) on one line for

member for 4.1 years, 1705 visits, last login: a few minutes ago

Comments:
ArizonaSteve

$30 Unlimited Data?

Have you noticed they are selling a plan with Unlimited Data and Text for just $30/mo no contract at Walmart? Only 100 minutes though. The plan with Unlimited Data, Voice and Text is $50. Not sure how you get it exactly, looks like buying a new phone is required.

sk1939
join:2010-10-23
Mclean, VA

Re: $30 Unlimited Data?

I hadn't noticed actually. However, I do have 3 lines on this plan, two of which are still under contract.
tkdslr

join:2004-04-24
Pompano Beach, FL
·T-Mobile US
I'm currently using the 5GB-4G .. over 2G unlimited messaging, $30 Walmart plan. And yes, I did purchase a Samsung exhibit II 4g from a local Walmart store for $199.

And if you charge up your account with a few extra $, extra minutes over 100 a month are $0.10 per minute.

All in all .. it's a good deal..

Review by cb14 See Profile

• Location: Miami Beach,Miami-Dade,FL
Good "price, plans, customer service,no contract, metro connection quality,GSM carrier"
Bad "rural coverage "
Overall "strongly recommended"

On edit 2014/10/15 getting better and better. Due to increase in customer numbers, sometimes longer waits for CS.

On edit 2014-06-04
I have changed my legacy plan to the new unlimited minutes, texting and 500MB data capped for $ 40/month plus about $ 9.90/month in taxes and junk fees.
There is an overall improvement noticeable lately, although some issues remain. TMO is by far the best of the big four, nobody coming even close.

On edit 2013/10/06
Connection reliability has improved somewhat lately, I am upgrading the rating.

I have service with TMO US for over 6 years I have a legacy 1500 minute voice plan for 39.95 plus about $ 9.80 in taxes and junk fees and an unlocked Nokia C3-01.
I cannot comment much on data, because I use data on the phone only via wi-fi.
TMO used to have an exceptional customer service, unfortunately it got significantly worse lately . Also the signal and connection quality decreased over the last 18 months. The problems are most pronounced with 2G services- there are rumors that TMO moved away a part of their 1900 Mhz PCS spectrum.The formerly excellent coverage maps were replaced with optimistic, unreliable propaganda maps( like the other carriers). Some rough business practices popped up lately, like the lightning fast disconnecting of service once the account is past due.
Rural coverage is not great in many areas. I use a Verizon prepaid as a back up.Calls get forwarded to once I am out of coverage- a great feature.
Choice of phones is not great, but an advantage of a GSM carrier is the availability of vast selection of unlocked GSM phones on Amazon.
Having said all of that, I still consider T-Mobile USA the best choice out of the 'big four'

member for 1.8 years, 703 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
dickybilly

·magicjack.com

TMO is fine but change to their cheaper prepaid plans

I too have been a TMO legacy customer for 7 years. Currently I pay $65/mo incl fees for unlimited voice. Text is 20cents/msg, data @ $2/mb since I don't use much data. Locally in the Dallas TX region I've never had an issue with quality of voice, text and 3G data. When I travel to south FL the TMO 2G and voice service is terrible but the 3G/4G is better.
I'm about to kill my current plan (I haven't had a contract with TMO for years) for a TMO prepaid $30/mo 1500 minutes voice/text and 30mb data/month. One has to be crazy to continue to pay for the higher TMO rate plans.
I've also had TMO@home broadband voice for years. Service has never been a problem but paying $13/mo incl fees for home voice is steep considering cheaper MagicJackPlus service (which I've tested as fine but watch out for them nickel and diming you over service costs).
I'm about to drop TMO@home because once I go prepaid for TMO cell service they won't allow me to keep TMO@home service. I'm porting my phone# to MagicjackPlus service for less than 1/2 the cost/year than TMO@home. I may be one of the few people who are satisfied with MJPlus.
TMO technical support is getting rough over the phone or chat online. Sometimes good most times spotty. Customer service in-store is spotty..if you find a good rep stick with him or her otherwise keep looking in other stores until you find one you can depend on who knows TMO. BTW, don't trust anything an in-store rep sez w/o doing your own investigation of plans and rates. DO NOT sign up for anything w/o leaving the store and checking first.
TBBroadband

join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH
·MegaPath

Re: TMO is fine but change to their cheaper prepaid plans

Actually your post is incorrect. TMO does care what phones you attach to their network. They have a clause that any phone that is NOT purchased from their actual Corp. Stores or via www.t-mobile.com they do not have to support not allow it on their network. They have had that clause since using the Voice Stream brand. Phones from dealers also fall into that category of does not have to be supported.

please reread my post
"I've twice brought my own GSM phone over the internet and connected them to TMO w/o any issue on their part. They don't care what phone you connect to their network."

cb14

join:2013-02-04
Miami Beach, FL
·callwithus
·localphone.com
·Google Voice
·Callcentric
·magicjack.com
Before you decide to go with prepaid please consider that prepaid TMO plans are in network only, meaning NO ROAMING which will make the not so great rural coverage far worse. With the worsening performance of the TMO voice services in South FL I already have to use a Verizon prepaid phone as a back up.
It is your choice, but before you spend money porting your number to Magic Junk you may want to port it to Google Voice, get a Obi 100 for $ 40.- and enjoy a free service with voice quality way above MJ. Plus , you can put a second provider on your Obi, e.g. the free NYC DID from Callcentric on pay as you go for outgoing calls.
To the other poster : TMO does not provide technical support for a non- TMO phone, which means if you have a problem with the handset you have to contact the manufacturer, but otherwise they SUPPORT them.

Re: TMO is fine but change to their cheaper prepaid plans

Thanks for the suggestions. Luckily my South FL travel areas don't include (I think) roaming areas but I have to investigate further. Generally my SFL area is the I-95 corridor between Ft. Lauderdale and Miami, west to the BB&T Center in Sunrise where voice/data is the worst but still in network.
As for MagicJack, for my local area it's fine and I welcome your suggestion, thanks.

The biggest issue I have with roaming is many people (including TMO instore staff) have told me roaming is not included ... and I believe it...however the TMO website for the prepaid plans sez "National coverage with no roaming charges"...
I suppose in TMO doubletalk they mean no roaming charges because they don't allow roaming off their national network. the TMO phone must go dead for out of network calling when on a prepaid plan.

cb14

join:2013-02-04
Miami Beach, FL
·callwithus
·localphone.com
·Google Voice
·Callcentric

Re: TMO is fine but change to their cheaper prepaid plans

You are correct. In the area you described you do not need roaming indeed.
Love the doubletalk ! Basically it means that you do not have to pay for what they do not offer. Very generous, I would say.

Review by jackbookpro See Profile

• Location: Fort Collins,Larimer,CO
Good "Insanely fast LTE. Better coverage and performance every day. Contract free."
Bad "Spotty coverage in rural areas."
Overall "No better deal in wireless. Fastest speeds. Cheapest data."

About 1 year ago I chose to jump ship with AT&T after they decided to start severely throttling my unlimited data plan. I could not be happier with the decision to switch. No-contract is wonderful and BYOD is actually PROMOTED by T-Mobile.

T-Mobile's network is insanely fast. When I first switched our area (Fort Collins) didn't eve have LTE yet, but one of the best prices of T-Mobile is their super fast 3G+ network TMo's DC-HSPA+ network is actually significantly faster than AT&Ts LTE, averaging at ~20Mbps down and ~5Mbps up. About 3 months in, our area was upgraded to LTE and the speeds are incredible. T-Mobile installed 10+10Mhz AWS LTE and I regularly see speeds around town as fast as 60Mbps. When visiting Minneapolis, one of TMo's 15+15 markets, I saw speeds of over 80Mbps. Crazy!

These speeds would be useless without unlimited data, and so far I have used up to 150GB in a month and seen no throttling. Somewhat of a well loved secret on T-Mobile is that if you bring an unlocked android phone, you can use your unlimited plan for tethering and basically replace cable.

The one downside for all this speed is spotty coverage in some areas, but I've actually experienced rural coverage improving and T-Mobile seems to be very actively upgrading their network at an incredible pace. I look forward to seeing the rollout of 700Mhz later this year to witness how this affects euro coverage.

Overall I have been incredibly pleased. Technical support has been fantastic and store employees have been knowledgeable. A world of difference from my expiriences with both Comcast and AT&T. I hope T-Mobile continues with their innovative business model and continues to evolve its network at the current pace.

Comments:
greatshow09

join:2013-07-07
Minneapolis, MN

OMG That LTE -It gets up to 20mbps faster than my house.

T-Mobile's new network is amazing. If you get LTE, you surely wont be disappointed.
Speeds reach as high as 60-70mbps where it's available.

Review by oneacn See Profile

• Location: Polk City,Polk,FL
Good "Excellent Customer Service"
Bad "Coverage.. Grrr 7 Miles From The Tower "
Overall "T Mobile gives the customer what they need in order for their service to work"

I have a Samsung 4G LTE Mobile Hotspot and their old Cell Fi Unit which only does 3g 4g. I am waiting to get a phone call from T Mobile on them sending me an LTE Signal Repeater. Service is good, if something goes wrong, I just pull the battery on my device and reset the repeater and we are good to go. I have only had to reset the repeater 5 x in 2 months. I just use the Mobile Hotspot for World Of Warcraft.

Good Service
Good Price
Good Customer Service @ Executive Customer Relations

Comments:

Review by mark760 See Profile

• Location: Milwaukee,Milwaukee,WI
Good "easy to set up"
Bad "capped, but most generous"
Overall "internet in a hurry, best bet"

my dsl went down on a saturday....Was told the following thursday would send someone to look at it. Hopped in my car and went to wally world and picked up a 4g hot spot with 5 gigs for $50. In minutes was online. Granted my speeds arent the greatest, but it is better than nothing. I am pretty easy to please, just make the process simple and have the service be reliable.