T-Mobile US page on DSLReports

Review by nyliferocks See Profile

• Location: Mount Vernon,Westchester,NY
Good "phone capabilities"
Bad "numerious billing issues"
Overall "Great prices bad speeds and billing errors"

I ordered the 5gb for $30 and the 4g speed is no different then my previos 3g phone. Tethering is even worse with 1.5mb down. The pricing is what keeps me with them. After my 15% discount I pay $58 a month for unlimited text,talk and 5gb data. This also includes insurance, free minutes over wifi

Comments:
ArizonaSteve

join:2004-01-31
Apache Junction, AZ
·T-Mobile US

Bad Phone?

Dude, you must be doing something wrong. I don't have a 4G device but here in the Phoenix area I was able to connect at 7mb and got 3mb download speeds with 3G and now I know the speeds are even faster, 20mb I believe, but my 3G dongle doesn't go any faster than 7mb. I don't understand how you were able to get 5Gb for $30 though since all I could get was 1Gb for $50/mo without signing a 2 yr contract and that's way too high.

Review by nightdesigns See Profile

• Location: Surprise,Maricopa,AZ
Good "Good Coverage, very easy setup/install, decent speeds"
Bad "Peak times come to a crawl"
Overall "If you need mobile broadband for several devices, it's a pretty good deal"

I was looking for a mobile broadband device that I could use on several devices (cell phone, laptop, etc). I got the T-Mobile® 4G Mobile HotSpot which is a pretty nifty device. Connects to 4g, built in 5 device wi-fi and has a built in battery. Pretty much turn it on, connect to it, configure a few settings (just like setting up a wi-fi access point) and go.

Coverage is pretty good. I get a full 4G signal in the primary place that I've used it. Also good coverage along most of the major highways that I've used it.

2 Downsides:
1) At peak times (5-6 pm) speeds come to a crawl. Appears to be more of a DNS lookup issue than actual capacity
2) with the device itself, if nothing is connected to it for about 10 minutes, it will go into a standby mode. Sometimes you can hit a button and it comes back to life, other times you need to power cycle.

member for 12.2 years, 6381 visits, last login: a few minutes ago

Comments:

Review by hdgmedic See Profile

• Location: Havre De Grace,Harford,MD
Good "Fast! Fast! Fast! No Overage charges! The fastest 3G service I have ever seen on 3G only devices! 4G speeds are amazing!!!!"
Bad "5GB cap"
Overall "3G speeds are fast on 3G devices. 4G speeds are phenomenal!!!"

I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab, which is a "3G only" device with the $39.99/month 5GB data plan. This gets me 5GB/month at the regular speeds and then it is throttled down to a lower speed if you go over the 5GB cap. There are no overage charges if you go over the cap, unlike some of the other services. The TMobile version of the Galaxy Tab also allows for free tethering of your connection. This has allowed me to run various non-scientific tests. YMMV.

First of all, I live outside of Baltimore. So, this means I can take advantage of the HSPA+ "4G" speeds. Though my device is a 3G device, I can still benefit from faster speeds over the 3G network, albeit slower than an actual "4G" device. All I can say is.....THIS THING SMOKES!!!!. I easily reach speeds of 4-4.5Mbps down and 2-2.5Mbs up, using various speed tests on the Galaxy Tab and when using a tethered laptop. This is not throughout their coverage area, more likely nearest their towers. Using the tethering option from the Galaxy Tab to connect to my laptop, iPhone, and Xbox360, I can watch streaming HD video and play Xbox Live online, participating in games with up to 18 people (with slight lag) and 12 player games with no lag whatsoever! This was done when I was averaging speeds around 2-3Mbps. My slower speeds averaged 600-700kbps down and 300kbps up. My latency ranged from 85ms (during my fastest speeds) up to 250ms (during my slowest speeds).

Second, I have never had any problems getting a connection, inside or outside of buildings. I would imagine that basements and elevators would still give you a problem as with any service.

I have tried WiMax and it's a good service as well, though the upload speed is capped at 1Mbps. The only problem with Wimax is it is limited to certain areas as opposed to TMobile's entire network. I also have an iPhone, on AT&T's network, and the max speed I have I ever obtained is 1.5Mbps down and 700kbps (0.7Mbps) up.

If you are in the market for a 3G wireless broadband service, I have no reservations recommending TMobile's service. I can only imagine how fast their 4G broadband service is. They currently have a USB 4G broadband stick.

UPDATE 10/24/11

Just updated my service from a Galaxy Tab, I broke it :-(, to the Sonic 4G mobile hotspot. All I can say is this thing smokes!!!! D/L speeds in the Baltimore area (including it's suburbs 40+ miles away) are 17-20Mb/s outside and 8-10Mb/s inside buildings. These speeds are unaffected by being stationary or driving at 60+mph. My ping runs from 20-75ms with a jitter of 20ms. U/L speeds seem to max out at 2Mb/s no matter where I am. I've tried gaming with Xbox Live and have even been the host of a few COD:Black Ops matches. Not a single problem!

For comparison, I also upgraded my AT&T iPhone 3GS to an AT&T Samsung Galaxy S II. I have seen an increase in my cellphone speed to 6Mb/s, but it still can't touch the 17Mb/s I'm seeing from my mobile hotspot! Makes me wish I would have gotten my new phone on T-Mobile's service.

I know there is alot of discussion on what "4G" really is, but one thing is for certain, T-mobile's "4G" service is really quite fast and the best value in comparison to all others. I could honestly see people dropping their home service and going with this device as a permanent replacement, just so long as they don't spend alot of time downloading or streaming movies and music.

Comments:

Review by thatissick See Profile

• Location: Oklahoma City,Oklahoma,OK
Good "Good Service, No dropped calls, Very fast 3G"
Bad "3G coverage not extensive, GPRS only in most rural areas"
Overall "Might not have a very large 3G network, but its good where it is"

·Verizon Broadban..
So far, the service has been great. There have been only two times where the 3G network went down in the past four months, but I have had no dropped calls whatsoever, which is important to me. Also, no delays in sending texts or receiving them. Also, since T-Mobile launched their HSPA+ network, the internet speeds have been pretty fast.

EDIT: I left and got a Thunderbolt. It's a heck of a lot faster than T-Mobile's '4G'.

Also, my thoughts after my switch to VZ:

T-mobile's 3G coverage expansion seems to stopped in terms of launch in new areas, though they are upgrading their existing 3G footprint to that HSPA+ 4G standard. Also, most of their native rural coverage is still GPRS, which I thought would be upgraded to EDGE, but has not happened. They removed those Even More Plus plans which I really liked, and have pretty much done away with full-speed unlimited data plans for most or all devices. Plus I feel that this merger news makes me feel uncertain about T-Mobile's future plans in the next couple of years (aside from the HSPA+ upgrade).

Comments:

Review by lordpuffer See Profile

• Location: West Hollywood,Los Angeles,CA
Good "Works Much Better Than AT&T Wireless"
Bad "None That I Can Think Of"
Overall "Great Value For The Price. Pretty Good Signal For Los Angeles (which usually sucks)"

·CableOne
I had AT&T Wireless for 10 years, ever since it was PacBell. It was very good at the beginning, but then it became very bad in the Los Angeles area after they bought the old AT&T Wireless and they had to sell many cell sites to T-Mobile. Now T-Mobile is great! I just got T-Mobile and got the Nokia 5610 phone. I've had many, many phones and the 5610 is the best I've ever had. Very cool looking and works great. Don't pay attention to the reviews about the talk time on the phone. I never had a problem. I would recommend it to anyone. Well, I'm a happy camper now. Price is much better than all of the other carriers. The only reason to have AT&T Wireless is if you just have to have the iPhone. However, I've heard that if you purchase the iPhone from Europe, it will work with T-Mobile.

UPDATE--11/19/08 I am still very happy with T-Mobile. Very few dropped calls in the Los Angeles area and their Customer Service is very good, friendly and helpful. I would advise anyone who does not want to spend the money for Verizon (even though Verizon gets a signal in more places), to get T-Mobile over any of the other carriers (at least in the Los Angeles area). If you really want the iPhone, you can get a European version or an AT&T one and there is a way of unlocking it for T-Mobile--STAY AWAY FROM AT&T WIRELESS. YOU WILL BE VERY UNHAPPY WITH THEIR SERVICE!

UPDATE--7/20/09 Upgraded to a 3G Phone and have a much better signal than before. My suggestion, if you are having signal problems where you really need a signal (like at home, work, etc.) get a 3G Phone, even if you don't use Data....I don't.

UPDATE--2/25/10 Upgraded recently to the Android platform on one of their HTC phones, and have an even better 3G signal, even at home (which at times has been problematic). I really like the Android platform, and will stay with HTC phones for now....Only problem is that my G1 has poor battery life. But, I guess some issues always exist.

UPDATE 9/30/11 I am now living in Rio Rancho, NM, have switched back to AT&T, and am happy with the service here.

member for 9.9 years, 3155 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by ConstantineM See Profile

• Location: San Jose,Santa Clara,CA
  • Cost Contract price not specified. (24 month contract)
Good "excellent coverage at home where AT&T and Verizon couldn't really deliver; faster upload than AT&T U-verse FTTP fibre"
Bad "Andoird 2.2 has very poor interface and power management; promised OTA update to 2.3 is missing"
Overall "Great prices and the best deal in the country for best spec'ed Android phones with no-overage internet"

I ordered myTouch 4G from the official t-mobile.com web-site during a promotion in July 2011, where the phone was free and they weren't even charging any California tax on the free phone, which is normally charged to CA consumers. This phone regularly retails for a three-digit sum even with the contract and even after mail-in rebates. This phone has the absolute best hardware that was available at the time: 1GHz CPU, 768MB RAM, 4GB ROM, 8GB microSD. Note that even dual-core phones at the time still had 512MB of RAM, and IMNSHO, having enough RAM is much more important than an extra core. If you're getting a new free phone with T-Mo, ensure with reliable sources that it has at least 768MB.

I got the cheapest plan that includes unlimited internet, unlimited WiFi calling and 200MB of 4G speeds. 49 dollars prior to tax. Free premium-spec'ed phone included. Keep in mind that the old 200MB 4G plan with unlimited 2G is no longer offered as of September 2011, so you'd have to get the 2GB plan for 10 dollars extra, but that's still a very good deal.

The deal is really awesome, and the stock firmware on the phone is even stupid enough to allow the Hotspot feature to function fully and without the customer paying a dime extra for Hotspot, so it's easy to use other devices next to mT4G, if you really hate Android at times. I thus regularly tether iOS through Android, and it works pretty great (other than the battery life on Android, of course, but, surprisingly, since the overall power and resource management is quite bad, tethering doesn't actually have that great an affect on the battery life).

I would highly recommend getting a great deal with T-Mobile if coverage in your area is known to be pretty good. All those accusations that AT&T is coming are groundless; even if it's coming, you have nothing to lose by getting a free phone with a 2-year contract. Regulators would not allow your service to drop significantly within a few years from the merger anyways, and afterwards, you can just sign up to whatever other next big thing is, number portability and Google Voice are there to help you make seamless transitions. AT&T will never be allowed to jam up prices within your existing T-Mobile contract term (and if they'll somehow will, they'll have to allow you to get out, and keep your free phone for free, so it's a win-win in any case).

P.S.

I rated "Services" at 4* due to T-Mobile MSG Block not working as it should: if you block incoming messages, your incoming SMS messages will still be accepted by T-Mobile, the sender will never receive any error, and the message will just be discarded. I'll gladly change the rating back to 5* if they fix this. Still the best value for money.

Another concern is that mT4G is supposed to be upgradeable from 2.2 to 2.3 over-the-air, yet I still haven't received the upgrade. There is no official way to upgrade the phone from home.

Comments:

Review by duckforit See Profile

• Location: Morgan Hill,Santa Clara,CA
Good "I don't know where it is coming from."
Overall "Waiting for the other shoe..."

I have been doing this (broadband service) in the Monterey Bay area for a long time. (I am in Watsonville, dunno why it says Morgan Hill)Mostly static server from CO. 8-10 IP addresses. And I have paid for it. We all know it depended on how far (or close) you were to the CO, how fast your connection was. I have been gone for two years. I am a newbie ... again. I can't understand how I can get the speeds I am getting.

I am using T-Mobile's Samsung Gravity 3G tethered to an inexpensive Zoom router, serving three computers. All downloading movies and sometimes operating sys ... full versions. None of them stop. Two are XP. One Win 7. a Linux server. I have a feeling it won't last. I started out with th3 "limited time offer: $39.95. 500 anytime minutes. 2gig data. when I hit the two gig limit... (very quickly), I paid $30 to get "Ultra" ...10gigs. I have cut back on my usage... throttling my friends (literally) when they get crazy... but It seems like it is working fine. Dunno how long it will last. By the way... no credit check.

member for 11.3 years, 1440 visits, last login: 2.2 years ago

Comments:

Review by cb4748 See Profile

• Location: Los Angeles,Los Angeles,CA
Good "Great Value, GSM carrier, Tech Support Has Been Fine, I Like the Underdog"
Bad "Connection not always the best, seem to have stopped building out the network in wake of pending AT&T merger"
Overall "All cell phone companies have issues, why pay more when you can pay less at T-Mobile"

I've been with T-Mobile since they took over Voicestream years ago. The customer service has always been fine. Basically the service works. All carriers have connection issues. It just depends on your location. Some are better than others in any particular location. But T-Mobile by far has the best value. I'm getting unlimited minutes, texts, and 2 Gb of data (face it, this is way more than most people will ever use in a month), for $59, plus taxes. Nothing comes even close to that. T-Mobile seems to constantly change their plans, though, so you have to keep an eye on things and catch the good deals.

It's too bad they got rid of the contract free, Even More Plus plans. That was a great industry innovation. Most people just don't get the economics of the carrier subsidies on the phones. You're better off paying $500 for a phone and saving money on the contract. The contract is where the real money is. But people don't get this, think they're saving money, and get totally taken advantage of. Do you really think the carriers are offering those subsidies for your financial benefit?

Anyway, I dread the day that T-Mobile gets taken over by AT&T. This is going to mean there is no value carrier out there. It would cost me almost twice as much to get the same plan on any other carrier. And AT&T's customer service is hands down the worst thing I have ever dealt with from any company anywhere in my entire life. But they'll be the only GSM provider, if the deal goes through.

Comments:

Review by Night0wl See Profile

• Location: 00000
Good "Quick work order completion, reliable service, competitive pricing"
Bad "Added an unauthorized service"
Overall "Decent service"

This is a family service plan, my daughter, her husband and myself. When I was eligible for an upgrade, could not obtain any prices since my daughter is the account holder. My city only has T-Mobile Kiosks, so we had to travel 90 minutes to a full service store where I could examine the phones. I decided against the high speed data plan since I have no use for it at work. However, when I was experimenting with the new features, I clicked on the web browser by mistake and then exited. T-Mobile then added that feature to my line, with no authorization. Ironic since otherwise I cannot obtain any information! T-Mobile did remove the charge and she set up a permanent block on my line to prevent any other charges. Generally speaking there is good coverage and reception. She was also able to renegotiate a lower price as a long term customer. Both she and her husband have data plans.

Comments:

Review by whfsdude See Profile

• Location: Washington,District Of Columbia,DC
Good "Fast, cheap, and unlimited"
Bad "Carrier grade NAT (CGN/LSN)"
Overall "Fast, cheap, and unlimited"

I have had T-Mobile for a number of years. The service is rock solid in urban areas.

I currently have a Nexus One running on the grandfathered Total Internet (VPN) data plan. I get speeds of 6/1 which is pretty good for only having a HSDPA radio.

I use anywhere from 100 gigabytes to just over 300 gigabytes of mobile data and haven't heard a peep out of T-Mobile.

We have four lines so here the breakdown.

$69.99 - Shared 1000 min, free N&W, loyalty myfaves.
$9.99 - Unlimited texting for families.
$9.99 (2 x lines) add a line charge
$20.00 (2 x lines) 10 gig/mo, capped afterwards, preferred android plan.
$19.99 Grandfathered VPN Internet.

member for 11.4 years, 5983 visits, last login: a few hours ago