T-Mobile US page on DSLReports

Review by thatissick See Profile

• Location: Oklahoma City,Oklahoma,OK
Good "Good Service, No dropped calls, Very fast 3G"
Bad "3G coverage not extensive, GPRS only in most rural areas"
Overall "Might not have a very large 3G network, but its good where it is"

·Verizon Broadban..
So far, the service has been great. There have been only two times where the 3G network went down in the past four months, but I have had no dropped calls whatsoever, which is important to me. Also, no delays in sending texts or receiving them. Also, since T-Mobile launched their HSPA+ network, the internet speeds have been pretty fast.

EDIT: I left and got a Thunderbolt. It's a heck of a lot faster than T-Mobile's '4G'.

Also, my thoughts after my switch to VZ:

T-mobile's 3G coverage expansion seems to stopped in terms of launch in new areas, though they are upgrading their existing 3G footprint to that HSPA+ 4G standard. Also, most of their native rural coverage is still GPRS, which I thought would be upgraded to EDGE, but has not happened. They removed those Even More Plus plans which I really liked, and have pretty much done away with full-speed unlimited data plans for most or all devices. Plus I feel that this merger news makes me feel uncertain about T-Mobile's future plans in the next couple of years (aside from the HSPA+ upgrade).

Comments:

Review by lordpuffer See Profile

• Location: West Hollywood,Los Angeles,CA
Good "Works Much Better Than AT&T Wireless"
Bad "None That I Can Think Of"
Overall "Great Value For The Price. Pretty Good Signal For Los Angeles (which usually sucks)"

·CableOne
I had AT&T Wireless for 10 years, ever since it was PacBell. It was very good at the beginning, but then it became very bad in the Los Angeles area after they bought the old AT&T Wireless and they had to sell many cell sites to T-Mobile. Now T-Mobile is great! I just got T-Mobile and got the Nokia 5610 phone. I've had many, many phones and the 5610 is the best I've ever had. Very cool looking and works great. Don't pay attention to the reviews about the talk time on the phone. I never had a problem. I would recommend it to anyone. Well, I'm a happy camper now. Price is much better than all of the other carriers. The only reason to have AT&T Wireless is if you just have to have the iPhone. However, I've heard that if you purchase the iPhone from Europe, it will work with T-Mobile.

UPDATE--11/19/08 I am still very happy with T-Mobile. Very few dropped calls in the Los Angeles area and their Customer Service is very good, friendly and helpful. I would advise anyone who does not want to spend the money for Verizon (even though Verizon gets a signal in more places), to get T-Mobile over any of the other carriers (at least in the Los Angeles area). If you really want the iPhone, you can get a European version or an AT&T one and there is a way of unlocking it for T-Mobile--STAY AWAY FROM AT&T WIRELESS. YOU WILL BE VERY UNHAPPY WITH THEIR SERVICE!

UPDATE--7/20/09 Upgraded to a 3G Phone and have a much better signal than before. My suggestion, if you are having signal problems where you really need a signal (like at home, work, etc.) get a 3G Phone, even if you don't use Data....I don't.

UPDATE--2/25/10 Upgraded recently to the Android platform on one of their HTC phones, and have an even better 3G signal, even at home (which at times has been problematic). I really like the Android platform, and will stay with HTC phones for now....Only problem is that my G1 has poor battery life. But, I guess some issues always exist.

UPDATE 9/30/11 I am now living in Rio Rancho, NM, have switched back to AT&T, and am happy with the service here.

member for 9.5 years, 2949 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by ConstantineM See Profile

• Location: San Jose,Santa Clara,CA
  • Cost Contract price not specified. (24 month contract)
Good "excellent coverage at home where AT&T and Verizon couldn't really deliver; faster upload than AT&T U-verse FTTP fibre"
Bad "Andoird 2.2 has very poor interface and power management; promised OTA update to 2.3 is missing"
Overall "Great prices and the best deal in the country for best spec'ed Android phones with no-overage internet"

I ordered myTouch 4G from the official t-mobile.com web-site during a promotion in July 2011, where the phone was free and they weren't even charging any California tax on the free phone, which is normally charged to CA consumers. This phone regularly retails for a three-digit sum even with the contract and even after mail-in rebates. This phone has the absolute best hardware that was available at the time: 1GHz CPU, 768MB RAM, 4GB ROM, 8GB microSD. Note that even dual-core phones at the time still had 512MB of RAM, and IMNSHO, having enough RAM is much more important than an extra core. If you're getting a new free phone with T-Mo, ensure with reliable sources that it has at least 768MB.

I got the cheapest plan that includes unlimited internet, unlimited WiFi calling and 200MB of 4G speeds. 49 dollars prior to tax. Free premium-spec'ed phone included. Keep in mind that the old 200MB 4G plan with unlimited 2G is no longer offered as of September 2011, so you'd have to get the 2GB plan for 10 dollars extra, but that's still a very good deal.

The deal is really awesome, and the stock firmware on the phone is even stupid enough to allow the Hotspot feature to function fully and without the customer paying a dime extra for Hotspot, so it's easy to use other devices next to mT4G, if you really hate Android at times. I thus regularly tether iOS through Android, and it works pretty great (other than the battery life on Android, of course, but, surprisingly, since the overall power and resource management is quite bad, tethering doesn't actually have that great an affect on the battery life).

I would highly recommend getting a great deal with T-Mobile if coverage in your area is known to be pretty good. All those accusations that AT&T is coming are groundless; even if it's coming, you have nothing to lose by getting a free phone with a 2-year contract. Regulators would not allow your service to drop significantly within a few years from the merger anyways, and afterwards, you can just sign up to whatever other next big thing is, number portability and Google Voice are there to help you make seamless transitions. AT&T will never be allowed to jam up prices within your existing T-Mobile contract term (and if they'll somehow will, they'll have to allow you to get out, and keep your free phone for free, so it's a win-win in any case).

P.S.

I rated "Services" at 4* due to T-Mobile MSG Block not working as it should: if you block incoming messages, your incoming SMS messages will still be accepted by T-Mobile, the sender will never receive any error, and the message will just be discarded. I'll gladly change the rating back to 5* if they fix this. Still the best value for money.

Another concern is that mT4G is supposed to be upgradeable from 2.2 to 2.3 over-the-air, yet I still haven't received the upgrade. There is no official way to upgrade the phone from home.

Comments:

buddahbless

join:2005-03-21

update to 2.3.4

just keep refreshing your phone ( search for update) My G2X never did the OTA I had to do it manually from my computer to get 2.3.3, but my girlfriends MT4G got here update to 2.3.4 last month once I clicked check for updates OTA from her phone.
ConstantineM

join:2011-09-02
San Jose, CA

Re: update to 2.3.4

Where do I find the check for updates button? It doesn't seem to be offered anywhere; isn't it actually well known that T-Mobile myTouch 4G explicitly lacks this button in the interface, unlike many other devices?

On a side note, I still haven't added my Google Account or installed any apps or whatever (yet the power management is still a joke; after a very moderate use of just the browser, the phone has terrible power management until the next reboot, it seems). Is the OTA update by any chance explicitly offered only after Google-Account authentication?

Review by duckforit See Profile

• Location: Morgan Hill,Santa Clara,CA
Good "I don't know where it is coming from."
Overall "Waiting for the other shoe..."

I have been doing this (broadband service) in the Monterey Bay area for a long time. (I am in Watsonville, dunno why it says Morgan Hill)Mostly static server from CO. 8-10 IP addresses. And I have paid for it. We all know it depended on how far (or close) you were to the CO, how fast your connection was. I have been gone for two years. I am a newbie ... again. I can't understand how I can get the speeds I am getting.

I am using T-Mobile's Samsung Gravity 3G tethered to an inexpensive Zoom router, serving three computers. All downloading movies and sometimes operating sys ... full versions. None of them stop. Two are XP. One Win 7. a Linux server. I have a feeling it won't last. I started out with th3 "limited time offer: $39.95. 500 anytime minutes. 2gig data. when I hit the two gig limit... (very quickly), I paid $30 to get "Ultra" ...10gigs. I have cut back on my usage... throttling my friends (literally) when they get crazy... but It seems like it is working fine. Dunno how long it will last. By the way... no credit check.

Comments:

duckforit
Duckforit
join:2003-04-12
Carmel By The Sea, CA

About that other BOOT.(shoe)

The other shoe kicked me in the... When one reaches the ...uh End point. The place where you get "Throttled". You really get .. chocked. Can't even listen to a song from cloud player. But I guess I knew it was too good to last long. You wanna play... gotta PAY. I'm not pissed. I just wanna go back to my old CO and the 8 Static IP addresses with my own router... and.... Guess I'm dreaming again. Good luck folks.

Review by cb4748 See Profile

• Location: Los Angeles,Los Angeles,CA
Good "Great Value, GSM carrier, Tech Support Has Been Fine, I Like the Underdog"
Bad "Connection not always the best, seem to have stopped building out the network in wake of pending AT&T merger"
Overall "All cell phone companies have issues, why pay more when you can pay less at T-Mobile"

I've been with T-Mobile since they took over Voicestream years ago. The customer service has always been fine. Basically the service works. All carriers have connection issues. It just depends on your location. Some are better than others in any particular location. But T-Mobile by far has the best value. I'm getting unlimited minutes, texts, and 2 Gb of data (face it, this is way more than most people will ever use in a month), for $59, plus taxes. Nothing comes even close to that. T-Mobile seems to constantly change their plans, though, so you have to keep an eye on things and catch the good deals.

It's too bad they got rid of the contract free, Even More Plus plans. That was a great industry innovation. Most people just don't get the economics of the carrier subsidies on the phones. You're better off paying $500 for a phone and saving money on the contract. The contract is where the real money is. But people don't get this, think they're saving money, and get totally taken advantage of. Do you really think the carriers are offering those subsidies for your financial benefit?

Anyway, I dread the day that T-Mobile gets taken over by AT&T. This is going to mean there is no value carrier out there. It would cost me almost twice as much to get the same plan on any other carrier. And AT&T's customer service is hands down the worst thing I have ever dealt with from any company anywhere in my entire life. But they'll be the only GSM provider, if the deal goes through.

Comments:
damdman

join:2010-04-25
Laveen, AZ

:D

I agree 100%

Review by Night0wl See Profile

• Location: 00000
Good "Quick work order completion, reliable service, competitive pricing"
Bad "Added an unauthorized service"
Overall "Decent service"

This is a family service plan, my daughter, her husband and myself. When I was eligible for an upgrade, could not obtain any prices since my daughter is the account holder. My city only has T-Mobile Kiosks, so we had to travel 90 minutes to a full service store where I could examine the phones. I decided against the high speed data plan since I have no use for it at work. However, when I was experimenting with the new features, I clicked on the web browser by mistake and then exited. T-Mobile then added that feature to my line, with no authorization. Ironic since otherwise I cannot obtain any information! T-Mobile did remove the charge and she set up a permanent block on my line to prevent any other charges. Generally speaking there is good coverage and reception. She was also able to renegotiate a lower price as a long term customer. Both she and her husband have data plans.

Comments:

Review by whfsdude See Profile

• Location: Washington,District Of Columbia,DC
Good "Fast, cheap, and unlimited"
Bad "Carrier grade NAT (CGN/LSN)"
Overall "Fast, cheap, and unlimited"

I have had T-Mobile for a number of years. The service is rock solid in urban areas.

I currently have a Nexus One running on the grandfathered Total Internet (VPN) data plan. I get speeds of 6/1 which is pretty good for only having a HSDPA radio.

I use anywhere from 100 gigabytes to just over 300 gigabytes of mobile data and haven't heard a peep out of T-Mobile.

We have four lines so here the breakdown.

$69.99 - Shared 1000 min, free N&W, loyalty myfaves.
$9.99 - Unlimited texting for families.
$9.99 (2 x lines) add a line charge
$20.00 (2 x lines) 10 gig/mo, capped afterwards, preferred android plan.
$19.99 Grandfathered VPN Internet.

member for 11 years, 5757 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by zargon100 See Profile

• Location: Reynoldsburg,Franklin,OH
Good "4G rocket3 laptopstick speed is rocket fast 6 to 10 Mb"
Bad "limited 4G locations"
Overall "better than my Cable service"

I was sceptical of the 4G advertised speeds after having used the 3G laptop stick for about year. I was truly amazed when I plugged in the new 4G ands went to netflix. It worked great!!! not a single buffering for a 43 minute tv episode. I have speed tests across the country at over 10Mb. If you are in a 4G area go for it its finally worth the wait.

Comments:

Review by ArrayList See Profile

• Location: Evanston,Cook,IL
Good "Excellent Coverage where I live and most of the time while i travel"
Bad "US is not a GSM friendly country, so that hurts coverage"
Overall "don't plan on using it in the sticks"

update --- 6/2011
In Stanford, California for a conference and wifi tether with T-Mobile 4G works amazing!!!

--------old review--------

Ok, I live in Suburban Chicago. I connect via a T-Mobile G2. I get HSPA+ most of the time. if not that then it reverts to EDGE. 95-99% reliable outside. about 75% reliability indoors. I have an unlimited data plan with 400 sms/mms messages. 600 minutes Family Plan for voice.

I go through about 2-3gb per month in data and thats mostly just on the handset. it can be even more if i tether.

very straightforward ordering process, i walked in told them what I wanted and they explained everything pretty throughly for me. anytime I have had a problem customer support is very helpful in getting it solved.

My family is from rural Iowa so I lose service when traveling to see them occasionally. it will go from 0 bars to 1 bar but I'm fine with that b/c I get to visit more and I don't talk on the phone hardly as it is.

member for 9 years, 2147 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by mdstigers See Profile

• Location: Schertz,Guadalupe,TX
Good "Value, Customer Service, Coverage, and equipment!"
Bad "...nothing but the possible merger with AT&T"
Overall "A great company with great service that we highly recommend!"

We have had our wireless service through t-mobile since 2006.

We were converts from Verizon Wireless for two main reasons:
* Value / Reliability
* Customer Service

We didn't feel that we were getting good value for money and the customer service was absolutely horrendous. Due to those two main reasons we went ahead and went shopping for another wireless provider. We had looked around and T-Mobile seemed to be the best fit for us.

The customer service on the phone was awesome and did the complete credit approval process so all we had to do was go into the store to pick out our equipment, sign some paperwork, and convert (port) our numbers over.

This was a flawless process in which we couldn't have been happier, not painful at all. The equipment we got at that time was nothing like it is today, but we still walked out of the door with two top of the line phones (a Samsung and a Motorola Razr) and only spent like $100

We were a bit worried going from a CDMA to a GSM all digital carrier because we did travel out of the San Antonio area into the surrounding "hill country" but had no problems.

In the beginning our bill was roughly $85/MO for two lines of service and 1500 minutes but this was after taxes and before wireless got cheap! With Verizon we paid easily $140 for the same thing...

As time progressed I traveled to Indiana and California and had no signal problems and never incurred one minute of charged roaming time. I had signals when family members on AT&T (CINGULAR then) and Verizon didn't - and were talking some back roads in-between Indianapolis,IN and Vincennes,IN; even in the Sierra Mountains of California.

If we ever had a billing or technical issue customer service was there to assist quickly, almost always knowledgeable - and one bonus thing we love - DOMESTIC! NO TRANSFER TO INDIA!

As smart phones became a thing that they are today we jumped on them. We were among the first in the Android world with the G1 - and although the phone had some flaws the service did not. We went through a total of 9 - HTC G1 telephones at no fault of T-Mobile - and not one exchange cost us a dime, many timers expediated shipping being free.

We now have two lines of service:
* UNLIMITED TALK
* UNLIMITED TEXT
* UNLIMITED WEB (TO AN EXTENT! Every carrier except Sprint meters and throttles your bandwidth once you exceed 2gb to 5gb depending on the carrier I forget the number)
Equipment: HTC MyTouch 3G (HTC Magic aka Sapphire) & LG G2X (LG P-999)
Extended Warranty: $5.99
GRAND MONTHLY TOTAL WITH TAXES: $173.84
...roughly $82/per line (taxes included) for a major national carrier with 3G and 4G

Look - in the beginning we used to make fun of the phone company. We always said they're a ghetto network compared to our precious Verizon Wireless. However the service that we have experienced over the last 5 years has proved that point very wrong.

If you're looking for a good solid phone company, with good service, at a great value - This is the company for you. We love our phones and our service.

Were dreading the merger of AT&T and T-Mobile Ans hope that its stopped. We see the service going downhill if that happens, otherwise - let the good times keep rolling and I'll keep the top preaching of our love for T-Mobile!