T-Mobile US page on DSLReports

Review by BlakePaulson See Profile

• Location: Alexandria,Douglas,MN
Good "Unlimited data"
Bad "No 3G here so slow edge speeds and only 100 minutes"
Overall "If T-Mobile works where you live, great, otherwise it's no so great."

·Charter
Been with them for a week now. Edge data speeds but I can use as much as I want without someone getting mad at me or threatening to disconnect my service.

It's not perfect but the value is spot on.

Update:

I had T-Mobile for a month. I then went back to straight talk. T-Mobile coverage is non-existent. Straight Talk refills can be had for $43 a month on eBay and you get unlimited talk, text, and if you buy a straight talk iPhone directly from Straight talk, you can enjoy unlimited 3G data (they really don't care... I used 7GB's in one month with no slow downs.)

member for 6.2 years, 1559 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
ArizonaSteve

Apache Junction, AZ

Not a good choice for remote areas.

How can you give a good rating if there's no service in your area?
T-Mobile is not a good choice for remote areas like Alexandria if you want to use any data. They have almost zero coverage outside of major cities, nothing at all along freeways or in small towns. While we have good coverage all around the Phoenix area, I recently drove across Texas and there was no signal at all along I-10, not even Edge, after leaving El Paso until I got all the way to San Antonio. You'd think they would at least have coverage in Ft. Stockton but no. Verizon and AT&T are better choices for remote areas since they have coverage along most freeways and in a lot of little towns. Sprint does too in some cases but it's really spotty. If you check the coverage in OpenSignalMaps dot com they show coverage in Alexandria for AT&T and even for Sprint but nothing at all for T-Mobile.
fixrman
join:2003-02-10
Hatboro, PA

You should update your ratings also

The ratings give folks the impression you are happy with the service but you have since ditched them. I'd suggest changing the ratings as well.
"from a broken heart to a hole in the sky"

• Location: New York,New York,NY
Good "Nothing is good about this company. The company is rotten to the core."
Bad "They will break promises; lie to get your business and refuse to issue a refund when the service fails to work."
Overall "Stay Away from T-Mobile. We have not had any service in NYC for close to 2 months."

I have done business with many companies in my life, but never had as bad an experience as I have had with T-mobile. Back in November of 2011 my husband purchased a USB Broadband 'stick' for Wifi access from T-mobile. We used the plan that you pay as you go month-to-month. From the beginning, it was too slow. My husband would have to call them continuously to have them check into it. It was not the speed they advertised. (It was hardly better than the dial up we used to have). After endless calls, they would fix it and the speed would be better. But then it would get slow again after a short time online.

This went on for the entire year until Sandy hit New York in October of 2012. Our service became very erratic and spotty. Within a few days, in early November, we lost internet access completely. Then the real trouble started. Apparently, the storm knocked something out and they did not know how to fix it and their explanations became more and more bizarre. We got varying stories from them. It ranged from the problem being a flood, to it being a fire, to not knowing what the problem was, to it being a problem with our USB 'stick' (they said the stick was not registering on the network and we needed a new Sim card), to them having to repair an antenna, to having to build new antennas, and finally, that we had service but were just not using the system correctly, or that our operating system was not compatible (this was after a year of having service and using the system properly, and my husband is a computer specialist). They promised to reimburse

us for the 30 days we paid for and could not use. Then they issued an additional credit. They told us to go to the northern Bronx 20 miles away for a signal, but we could not get a signal there. When we told them this, they said to go to Connecticut!! Can you imagine that we were paying for wifi access in our home and they were telling us we needed to go our of state for a signal. We did go to the Bronx, but we decided Northern Connecticut (a three hour drive) is just too much for computer access. So our dead computer continued. As if this wasn't bad enough, each time we called, they set up a ticket for our problem, and we found out that these tickets were diappearing from the system, so each time we called, we had to explain all over again the long list of problems to a new representative. Since we could not use our own time, and certainly not the additional time they had "credited" to us, we finally asked for a refund.

Apparently, there is an even more insidious system when you are asking for your money back. We spoke to so many people it was mind-boggling. After switching us from person to person, each time it was switched, it became more garbled. When I got my landline back it was the same thing, so it was not my cell phone. The voices, once transferred, were garbled and unintelligible, and some were rude, seeming to take delight in our frustration and pleas for help. You would repeat your problem and account number over and over and they would invariably reverse the numbers or say they did not hear or understand you. Meanwhile, you could hear very little of what they were saying until you could hear absolutely nothing. At the end of it all, they would switch us one last time, which then disconnected completely and with no options but to call back and go thru the whole thing again. They knew most people would get frustrated and give up, which is what they were

counting on.

We had also complained about the stick a while ago so when this occurred, they told us we had to go to a T-Mobile store, which we did. They checked it out and said (of course) that it was fine. When they started to say that we had access when we did not, we invited a t-mobile technician to our home so that they could see for themselves that there was absolutely no access. They refused. My last call was yesterday. The same exact drill. No refunds are given. Then, OK, we will issue you a refund but you have to speak to a "refund specialist" - an idiot on the other end of the line that gets paid to give you as much grief as possible. And then to another "refund specialist" and then another. Each time you transfer, the connection is worse than the previous until neither you nor the person at the other end can hear a thing. And then you are disconnected. I am mad at myself for wasting so much time with them. I have now gone to the Attorney General for

my state and to the credit card companies. Do NOT look for a solution with this company. You should report them to as many agencies as possible until this consumer fraud is exposed and they are made to pay for all they are doing to customers. Ps. when we went to them a few weeks ago for a refund of the USB stick (since they off and on said it was the problem) they refused, saying that we purchased it in October 2011 and was out of warranty. That was a lie, and we verified with our credit card company that we made the charge on November 2011 (and received it three days later). We were still under warranty, but they refused to acknowledge it and said we charged it in October, 2011. They are not only incredibly deceitful, but also incredibly stupid, since the date of purchase can so easily be verified by the credit card company. I am sure there were other things too numerous to mention, but this is the gist of it. If you value your money and your

sanity, stay away from T-Mobile.

(review was emailed from domain zoho.com)

Comments:
ArizonaSteve

1 recommendation

Seriously?

Are you really complaining because they can't fix the damaged towers fast enough to suit you when lots of areas are still demolished? Why not just be happy you still have a home and stop whining?
jacobslive
join:2007-11-25
San Jose, CA

Re: Seriously?

You should better read the entire post before coming up with such silly comment.
jacobslive
join:2007-11-25
San Jose, CA
·VOIPO
·PHONE POWER

File a complaint with FCC

It is a common practice with t-mobile with false advertisement and promises. Where they claim they have LTE, they actually have bare 2G speed. I had tried them twice in two years and cancelled within 3 days both times.

I guess you should file a complaint with FCC regarding your problems with t-mobile. Include/attach any correspondence you have done with t-mobile in this regard. Believe me, they will act on your behalf and you will hear from t-mobile/FCC typically in 3-4 weeks time.

»www.fcc.gov/complaints

Re: File a complaint with FCC

No wireless service can provide good service to everyone on earth no matter where they might be. Unless they are using satellites they would have to cover the whole world with towers just a mile apart to insure a strong signal everywhere and even if they had the $billions to do that it would be physically impossible. Also they are not allowed to put towers in many areas due to zoning or because the area is already built up. It might just be his HOA or city or county zoning not allowing it, why not complain to them?
Or better yet, if it doesn't work in the area switch to a different service that does. No more whining or FCC complaining necessary.

·T-Mobile US
·Speakeasy

I have no first hand experience with the Stick modem..

But, I've used one t-mobile's ZTE hotspot(21Mbps--older tech) in a tethered configuration during a very long road trip(>3000 miles).

A couple observations.

Get some separation between your PC and RF modem, at least 4 or 5 ft.. 9 ft is better. Get a $10 USB extension cable and connect your stick USB cable to the USB extension cable, and it to the PC/Laptop.

Modern buildings have a lot of metal in them(outlets/appliances/framing/etc), relocate stick/hotspot higher up and/or closer to a window.

The more bars you get.. the better the performance..

Following some of these rules vastly improves performance, in major metro areas I would get up to 14/3Mbps in speed test results.

Apache Junction, AZ

Re: I have no first hand experience with the Stick modem..

>One must get some separation distance between hotspot/modem stick and your laptop/pc. Laptop's/PC's can be very noisy(RF wise), especially in the bands T-mobile uses. The resulting interference can significantly impact performance.

That's not really true. My spectrum analyzer doesn't show any interference signal coming from laptops. There are FCC rules that limit that kind of interference to non-interfering levels.
I have a Zoom 3G USB dongle that works fine plugged into the laptop IF the laptop is in the right location. The problem is you can't get good reception most places where the laptop might be setting indoors so the USB device works better if you put it on a USB extension cable and sit it in a window. It also helps to use an outside roof mounted antenna for a strong signal.

·T-Mobile US
·Speakeasy

3 edits

Re: I have no first hand experience with the Stick modem..

Yes there are limits imposed by the FCC.. But practical considerations means they can't test for these limits under all conditions.. And those conditions are going to vary from laptop to laptop, PC to PC, different CPU types, CPU clock frequency , memory types, battery state, power saver program, memory bus speed, rise and fall times on memory bus drivers, etc..

Heck the original author doesn't mention what type of PC's they have, it could even be something as simple as a missing chassis screw on a desktop PC.

P.S. I'm a expert in this arena..

Even the FCC part B radiation limits (300 uV/meter) can severely impact local cell receiver performance, since they are often listening for extremely weak radio signals.. -80 dBm, to -110 dBm. The cell tower they were using could be out of action, and they now depend on a less than optimal tower.

Even a shielded local transmission source(@ primary frequency) can easily swamp those distant signals. The only way to reduce interference is to add more shielding and/or more distance.

Thus my original suggestion still applies. (add more separation/distance, improve received signal strength).

Review by Doug5 See Profile

• Location: San Diego,San Diego,CA
Good "No contract"
Bad "Not unlimited as described. Throttling. Poor customer service. Treated as second class citizen"
Overall "Should be, could be, but Ain't no good. Still hoping government will step in and fix this mess"

I bought the galaxy nexus from Google and thought I'd be able to make to a "pay as you go" phone. But AT&T wanted $1000 deposit to get started and T-Mobile is useless after 5Gb used (2-3 days of watching Hulu Plus and listening to Pandora). The limiting should be unlawful, as they imply you can still use it at reduced speeds, however the with the reduced speed and 2-3 second latency, it is truly unusable. They also seem to be "sensing" what you are using it for and shutting you down if you use Hulu. When I called, they said that I used 2Gb (of my 5GB allowed per month) and that is not normal. Who are they to tell me what is normal?

Comments:

ArrayList
netbus developer
join:2005-03-19
Brighton, MA

did you not read the fine print?

everything you are complaining about it covered in the fine print and could have been explained to you by a rep before you bought the service. It isn't T-Mobiles fault if you didn't understand what you were buying.
sparky007

join:2011-08-25
Avondale, AZ
·Vonage

It still works.

Got to read the fine print. T-mobile doesn't cut you off. It's just become s l o w.

"Government is not a solution to our problem, government is the problem. " Thank you Ronald Reagan

60 kbit/sec after 5GB..

That's all you'll get.. (on the $30/m walmart plan)

the service isn't designed for more than one or two hours of vid's per month..

Easy to fix.

I don't know why you are paying $85 or how you can pay that much but if you just buy one of the cheap phones at Walmart with the $30/mo unlimited data plan then put the new SIM in your phone you'll be all set and you can stop whining.

buddahbless

join:2005-03-21
·AT&T DSL Service

As always ..buyer beware.

Doug you had a good idea but bad implementation.

As always buyer beware hold true on everything you purchase and intend to use personally with or without a contract. First good idea was to purchase your phone outright to not be locked into a contract, bad idea you obviously did not due your due diligence research into the various cellular companies on what offer would be available for you and what the limitations were. Easily attained As you pointed out the sticker shock price ATT quoted you to start up. which was for An ATT post paid plan.

If you did your due diligence you would notice that ATT prepaid offers you the ability to bring your own GSM phone however they wont allow you to use smartphones on there prepaid plan unless you sign up for the data package which is $15 per GB on top of the $50 monthly rate. so If you wanted the same 5GB Prepaid with ATT that your paying TMO $85, ATT would cost you $125 per mth then $15 per GB over the 5GB unlike being throttled with NO overage on TMO. Sprint and Verizon don't even allow you to bring your own phone onto there prepaid, Right now you have the best offer available if 16% is what you would rate TMO then by your standards ATT , Verizon, sprint should be in the negatives.

I will agree the throttle is quite low but you get what you pay for, and sometimes you dont. A bump in TMO throttle to 256-384 kbps would probably suit most people, you could view emails and do app updates in a short window, stream pandora with no issues, use google maps, and even watch low quality youtube videos, however HULU is and will be out of the question. Even going to any of the other MVNO will yield the same results all have a throttle in place the question is when they throttle.

So again Buyer beware, due your "due diligence" before purchasing or signing up for anything. Also its not unusable as I typed this on my laptop, read all the post, and replied while being throttled and using my phone for its hotspot feature (free with TMO), So yes its almost as slow as dial up but not unusable.

• Location: Lake Bluff,Lake,IL

T-mobile has alot of black holes around Chicagoland.. Go to far north.. Certain area in north shore off tollway...in between certain high rises down town..they need better omnidirectional overlapping..i guess...

I got T-mobile as it costs half of Verizon...
And when you pay your family's and companies cell bills.. It really adds up.. I think access should be free.. And just charge for the apps..& Or storage.. But i am not a telco thank god!

I drive a nokia n900..
Unlimited data package.. So the price is right..
Spotty overage in bufu Wis too..and numerous other places i travel.. Southern Cal, PHX,, Upstate NY..
But my phone rocks...

Mobile speed tests gave me 2600 dwn.. And DSL Reports gave me 2900 down.. Had to check and make certain the first results from mobilespeeds.com were not padded..DSL reports has THE best tools..always has too..imho..

It works fine..
And tethering for free when i travel even though it is slow.. Is not that slow..VS paying premium for it at hot spots or airports or hotels.. waitning for connections, fooling around with authentication back and forth,,It just turns on & connects and works.. For free..and the slow I refer to when talking about T-Mobile tethering is similar to what Verizon was when i had it on Edge GPRS .. So.. It is AOK w me. Am not a programmer either.. Better cell covergae in such a huge market as Chi I did expect though, there are LOTS of air pockets where there is none here..It is more acceptable for some where like FondDuLac,, but not here in Chi burbs

(review was emailed from domain dls.net)

Comments:

Review by djdanska See Profile

• Location: Chicago,Cook,IL
Good "7+ Mb/s down easy,"
Bad "NO ROAMING!"
Overall "if you don't leave town, it's great. If you travel, it SUCKS!"

·Cox HSI
I have the hd2 with android, the dell mini 10, and the dell streak 7.

The HD2 is fairly slow in windows mobile 6.5. When booted into android, i get around 5-6.7 Mb/s down constantly. The wifi tethering works unblocked by using the internet2.voicestream.com apn. You can also use that apn to avoid being throttled. (The wap and epc apns are throttled). Great coverage with t-mobile and roaming coverage.

The dell mini 10 gets the same speeds but the reception on it is much better than the hd2 and dell streak 7. I can hold onto a signal a LOT longer and it very rarely goes into edge while in a 3g area.

The dell streak 7 gets even higher speeds than the other two devices i have. constant speeds and great pings. I get to tether by wifi or wired by using the same apn.

One big warning! NO ROAMING ON MOBILE BROADBAND!! Your stuck with the tiny t-mobile native network, even worse than prepaid coverage. Don't expect to even roam on t-mobile affiliate networks like i wireless either. (i wireless even has 3g now, but you'll never know with the dell streak or dell mini).

It completely blows my mind that i end up tethering with my hd2 while im on the train, which defeats the whole point of having mobile broadband built into the dell streak and dell mini. They really need to add roaming or make it available as an addon. I would gladly pay $10 more per month to be able to use my phone, as advertised. (lame..)

When i had sprint, i was allowed to roam. I was only allowed something like 500mb or something, but i would gladly accept that vs no coverage.

Check »compass.t-mobile.com for coverage on mobile broadband devices. If its listed as roaming, your not allowed to use it.

member for 13.5 years, 6837 visits, last login: 330 days ago

Comments:

Review by FLengineer See Profile

• Location: Leesburg,Lake,FL
Good "Easy website purchase"
Bad "Customer service sucks and LIES"
Overall "Don't trust what the CSRs tell you."

I am updating my review as I am about to cancel my T-Mobile service. Here's the whole story. I was NOT under contract for about 3 years prior to this month. I needed to upgrade one of my four phones so I wanted to go back to a contract plan. It took a full week on the phone with CS to get this to happen because of "system problems". Finnally when it was done I waited almost 2 weeks and they never even shipped the new phone so I asked to be returned to my no-contract plan and cancel the order. I was told I can't. So I filed a complaint with the FCC. Magically they decided I could go back to my no-contract plan. then a week later I got the freaking phone in the mail!!!! So I called back and told them I am leaving tmo because of all the problems. They offered me the phone for free and a second just like it for free if I entered a two year contract. I accepted. Now two weeks later I still have not gotten the second phone and they have not ordered it claiming "it's not available" I checked the website and the phone is on there to order. Well I just got a call about the FCC complaint and they said because of all the problems I can return the phone and they will cancel my account with no termination fees. Oh My God so absolutely nothing for fighting with them for a month, bottom line is they are saying. We messed up so you can go now.

DO NOT subscribe to T-Mobile.

member for 7.3 years, 618 visits, last login: 1 year ago

Comments:

Review by MmmMan See Profile

• Location: Brooklyn,Kings,NY
Good "high speed down is excellent but slowest was 0.68mb, high 8mb"
Bad "Throttle to 100K over 5gb; up is extremely variable, intermittent lag every 5-10 minutes of 30 seconds or more"
Overall "canceling during test period"

this was a computer dongle (kinda big and hot running) which i had ten days so far and will return within the 14 day test period.

speeds are not bad

lags make game play impossible. about 20%of time connections are at 4g mostly @ 3G.

this is a computer dongle with only tether to pc for internet enabled. ZTE MF691 DATA STICK KIT (sold as Rocket Stick)was $99.99. with rebate avail of $50 if u take 2 year contract.

this was promoted as wifi replacement but due to lag problems is not sufficient.

thank god for test periods but too bad that the test period is not 30 days anymore. 14 days though sufficient is very rushed.

going to try sprint and if not happy Verizon. i may even return to landline...

1/30/11 I recently found out that though the salesperson had sold me an "unlimited plan" and specifically told me it would not be throttled because I was paying over the $50 Month, she lied. After reaching 5 gb transmission/reception in 1 mb parts or parts of 1 mb rounded up to 1 mb (so a 50/k email transmission is billed as 1mb) speed is throttled to 100k. This is now happening to a friend who bought the same item and plan. He says he cannot even load the t-mobile homepage since the effective delivered speed is 50K not even dial-up speed. the upload is limited to 30k effective.

Comments:

Review by Furshur See Profile

• Location: Mead,Weld,CO
Good "Were decent for years. Good Cutomer Service at one time."
Bad "Can't bring their system up to 3G; customer service."
Overall "Sprint is cheaper and, and so far, much better."

I was a T-Mobile customer for more than a decade and was generally happy near Longmont, Colorado. Coverage was sporadic compared to friend's phones, but mostly only in buildings. As time went on and the internet became more important, T-Mobile slipped behind. 3G was promised, and promised, and promised.... After my friends in the area had two years of 3G while I could only get Edge on a 3G phone, I got tired of waiting. My wife bought the G1 because they promised 3G was on the way! No way. The phone become somewhat obsolete before they rolled out 3G in Denver, let alone the surrounding towns. After another set of promises we both upgraded to the MyTouch phone. Still no 3G after 10 months. Finally, after many complaints, I simply terminated the contract and went with Samsung Epic 4G. We now have 3G nearly everywhere, where it was only a dream (or vaporware) on T-Mobile. Would they negotiate with a long time customer. NO. NO. NO. They demanded the $200 contract fee, even though I told them they were in breach of contract. Two days after switching to Sprint, they sent me to collections, plus kept billing me even after they transferred the phone numbers to Sprint. Letters get nowhere, so I will sue them in County Court. A good company turned rotten to its core.

Colorado is a good area to judge a company in a fringe, or low-motivation-to-upgrade-area. We have only 3.5 million people, and a fraction of that per company share. However, we have long distances up and down the front range. Thus, every company's weaknesses appear here first, and last the longest. None of the companies upgrade this area early. However, Sprint and Verizon did so aggressively, while T-Mobile lagged and did not care even though they began here as Cellular One. I think the company is cash poor, or just saving its money for bonuses.

Comments:

Review by Ammocatcher See Profile

• Location: Murrysville,Westmoreland,PA
Good "Cheaper than Verizon Wireless Broadband"
Bad "Slower than Verizon"
Overall "As my daddy said, "You get what you paid for!""

Because of where I live, I have VERY limited broadband availability. Satellite and Wireless are it.

I have been using Verizon Wireless Broadband on a UM175 modem for 2 years. I have no complaints other than cost. (5G is sufficient for my family's needs).

I saw that T-Mobile had a 4G capable modem available for $39.99/mo with no overage fees and decided to give it the college try. Setup was seemless, though it installed A LOT of drivers.

Anyway, the skinny is this:
I tried the flash speed test 5 times per server at peak and off-peak times 5 times during the day, using both my Verizon and T-Mobile devices. I had approximately equal signal strength(90%) for the two devices and did the runs one after the other on the same computer. After normalizing the results, I found that with Verizon I could average 816 kbs download, 292 kbs upload with a latency of 137 ms. My T-Mobile device averaged 179 kbs download, 79 kbs upload with a latency of 386 ms.

So, $20 less per month for 22% of the performance. No thanks, I'll stick with Verizon.

Comments:

Review by jweek See Profile

• Location: Reno,Washoe,NV
Good "none so far"
Bad "speed, cost of device, poor support"
Overall "don't buy"

been reading about t-mob's hspa+ stuff, decided to give it a try. not ready for prime time would be an understatement.

member for 15.1 years, 3545 visits, last login: a few hours ago