T-Mobile US page on DSLReports

Review by Brian3527 See Profile

• Location: Riverside,Riverside,CA
Good "Cheap, consistent service in metro areas (Mostly LTE Now)"
Bad "Coverage in rural areas"
Overall "T-Mobile, working hard for its customers at an unbeatable value!"

·DSL EXTREME
For $25 (normally $40) of 6.5 GB data at HSPA+ speeds this is an excellent value. Especially since it includes unlimited HotSpot. I have been a customer of T-Mobile for about 8 years, so a discounted rate was offered to me when they changed their plans a few month ago. Also, my phone is not 4G (Nexus 4), so it doesn't matter to me that the 4G LTE has not yet rolled out in my neck of the woods. Consider this if you want true LTE. HSPA+ is fine for me. My speed tests usually yield results around 10 mbps down/ 4 mbps up. This is more than enough for my needs. My main gripe would be when traveling. A lot of times my service will drop to edge speeds when in rural areas or on a highway in the boondocks. You can't do much on edge. Not even audio will steam well at this speed. Then again at home, work or on the road between both my my HSPA+ speeds are very consistent, so this is of no consequence to me.

_____________________

2-1-2015

Update: T-Mobile recently migrated my old My Favs plan to one of their newer all inclusive plans. They upgraded my data to LTE Unlimited on my phone (previously 7GB) w/3GB HotSpot, my wife to 7GB (previously 5GB). The two of us now have unlimited minutes (1000 on previous My Favs plan) and text as well. All for the same money, an even $100 a month. It's awesome to see a company actually working for its customers. I haven't had this kind of felling about a company in a long time. LTE coverage is now rock solid in Southern California also.

member for 12.5 years, 573 visits, last login: a few hours ago
updated a few hours ago

Comments:

Zenit

join:2012-05-07
Purcellville, VA
·Verizon Online DSL

Just a note about EDGE

After 2013 it seems that T-Mobile has stopped the EDGE to HSPA+ refarm in order to get the LTE deployment done quicker. All of the newest upgraded EDGE towers still use EDGE for voice/MMS with LTE for data. So you need a device with support for 1900mhz LTE to see improvement on non-refarmed rural towers unfortunately.

That's not to say that T-Mobile will never go back and complete the refarm, they cant keep 2G on forever.

Nice review, you summed up T-Mobile service pretty well. It really is refreshing to see a company working in favor of their customers for once, what a shocking concept!
Brian3527

join:2002-07-08
Riverside, CA
·DSL EXTREME

Re: Just a note about EDGE

Thanks for the comment! In my original T-Mobile review I was on a Nexus 4 a few years back. I upgraded to a Nexus 5 the day they came out in 2013. I have been happy with the Nexus 5 and it maintains the LTE signal pretty consistently. Every now and then I see it switch to HSPA+ when traveling locally here in southern Cal. Even then, I see speeds of around 20/15. On LTE at home and work, I usually see around 37/25. I know T-Mobile may not be the best choice (although I understand they are working on that fast and hard) for folks in rural areas, but for the majority of us in the metro areas it is pretty rock solid and the value and customer service can't be beat.

Review by Zenit See Profile

• Location: Purcellville,Loudoun,VA
Good "Price is great, Network Speed & Latency almost as good as wireline, constantly improving!"
Bad "Indoor coverage in thick buildings not that good"
Overall "Excellent service for the money if you can get coverage. Pushing change in the industry."

·Verizon Online DSL
-Rewrote my review as of 1/27/14 as much has changed-

Overall my experience with this carrier is very positive. Their network modernization program is working, and the old 2G network is disappearing, replaced with blistering fast LTE fed by fiber. Definitely go with T-Mobile if they have coverage in your area that meets your needs.

|Billing & CS|
Customer Support is getting better but still is poor at handling unusual situations. If you are unsatisfied with any interaction with support the higher level CSR's are more than willing to credit your account for any trouble. Credits can range from $15 all the way up to $250 in my experience (this credit entirely has to do with a long-delayed order of new phones, not service/billing).

As for usage billing there are no overages if you go over your data limit. We have 1gb per line. The penalty is throttling you down to EDGE-like speeds, still usable. I rarely go over.

|Network|
What used to be "that old 1990's EDGE network" is disappearing. The network refarm has been a success and I entirely believe Neville Ray (CTO) that all EDGE towers will have LTE overbuilt by the end of this year. The LTE is blistering fast with consistent low pingtimes. Now, your going to want a current T-Mobile device (or a phone with full support of the bands T-MUS uses) to take advantage of the network, if you come onboard with a device that can only do AT&T's 3G bands your not going to even see the whole network. In urban areas EDGE has been replaced with 3G, but the more rural towers have gone straight to LTE with EDGE for legacy/voice/SMS.

To put it short, when I started 3G or Faux-G was a rarity in 2012. By 2015 their network has totally transformed. Signal has gotten more reliable and consistent. Calls are clearer and dont drop as often. The neglect during the mid-late 2000's has been repaired, and the shiny new network gleams.

|Speed|
Data is blistering fast, often beating my own home Comcast line. Their 3G is usable with DSL like speeds, but the LTE is really screaming. Their higher than normal tower density in coverage areas due to the short range of AWS reduces tower congestion and it shows. EDGE, where it still is the only option (almost gone) is usable for email, messaging over IP, and navigation.

|Legere|
10/10 CEO - brash, bold, and crazy. Dont be fooled, he is not stupid, he is calculating and shaping what may be one of the greatest industry shake-ups of the next decade. In addition his videos give me extra entertainment - the Christmas video was great.
|Conclusion|
T-MUS is really challenging the norm of the US wireless market. Having no overage fees, free international roaming, unlimited music, and Wifi Calling really polish the edges of this offering. The pricing is great for 4 lines. If the coverage in your area is sufficient, give them a try. The savings are worth it!

10/10 would use network again

member for 2.7 years, 868 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

StevenP88

join:2010-11-01
Springfield, MO
·CableOne

AT&T Prcing

Actually AT&T has unlimited talk,text and 6 GB of data which includes 4 phones for 250 a month, that's the plan I have with them and the service and internet speed away better than T-Mobile any day, even the call quality is much better, I have a business plan with them since I have my own company, Premiere support is AMAZING and they will bend over backwards for you, I have 4 lines on my account, 1 for my brother and 1 for his fiance, 1 for myself and 1for my partner.. I would give AT&T another look, and honestly they are not that bad, I have never dropped a call or lost service with them, were as with T-Mobile we struggled to even get service even though supposedly provide perfect service here.. PLUS I can have 10 lines on one account with no deposits ever and even start a second account with the same amount of lines and still no deposit lol
medbuyer

join:2003-11-20
Pearland, TX

Re: AT&T Prcing

except not everybody can have premier access like you...they only give you that since they can milk more money out of your business that you're giving to them...

even after you're paid for the phone unit, you're still paying for the price which in the end amounts to almost 3 phones after paying for service for 24 months...

let's see if you can figure that out and do the math...

Review by jackbookpro See Profile

• Location: Fort Collins,Larimer,CO
Good "Insanely fast LTE. Better coverage and performance every day. Contract free."
Bad "Spotty coverage in rural areas."
Overall "No better deal in wireless. Fastest speeds. Cheapest data."

About 1 year ago I chose to jump ship with AT&T after they decided to start severely throttling my unlimited data plan. I could not be happier with the decision to switch. No-contract is wonderful and BYOD is actually PROMOTED by T-Mobile.

T-Mobile's network is insanely fast. When I first switched our area (Fort Collins) didn't eve have LTE yet, but one of the best prices of T-Mobile is their super fast 3G+ network TMo's DC-HSPA+ network is actually significantly faster than AT&Ts LTE, averaging at ~20Mbps down and ~5Mbps up. About 3 months in, our area was upgraded to LTE and the speeds are incredible. T-Mobile installed 10+10Mhz AWS LTE and I regularly see speeds around town as fast as 60Mbps. When visiting Minneapolis, one of TMo's 15+15 markets, I saw speeds of over 80Mbps. Crazy!

These speeds would be useless without unlimited data, and so far I have used up to 150GB in a month and seen no throttling. Somewhat of a well loved secret on T-Mobile is that if you bring an unlocked android phone, you can use your unlimited plan for tethering and basically replace cable.

The one downside for all this speed is spotty coverage in some areas, but I've actually experienced rural coverage improving and T-Mobile seems to be very actively upgrading their network at an incredible pace. I look forward to seeing the rollout of 700Mhz later this year to witness how this affects euro coverage.

Overall I have been incredibly pleased. Technical support has been fantastic and store employees have been knowledgeable. A world of difference from my experiences with both Comcast and AT&T. I hope T-Mobile continues with their innovative business model and continues to evolve its network at the current pace.

Update:

700Mhz B12 LTE just went live in my area, and the amount of coverage implement is staggering. There are almost no gaps in the network with my Nexus 6 seamlessly transitioning between networks. From this expirience I can say that by the end of 2015, there will be far less to complain about when it comes to nationwide and rural coverage.

Comments:
greatshow09

join:2013-07-07
Minneapolis, MN

OMG That LTE -It gets up to 20mbps faster than my house.

T-Mobile's new network is amazing. If you get LTE, you surely wont be disappointed.
Speeds reach as high as 60-70mbps where it's available.
rradina

join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO

Be Careful Using Tethering/Hotspot on TMO

My son has a prepaid T-Mobile plan w/5GB of data. He enabled his hotspot on his unlocked Nexus 5. He immediately received a text message from T-Mobile telling him to stop or else. After rooting his phone and installing Cyanogen, he was able to change a setting and apparently enable tethering without them knowing.

Review by fenix_jn See Profile

• Location: Hialeah,Miami-Dade,FL
Good "Reliable service, better signal penetration than Sprint's CDMA"
Bad "A bit slower speed on LTE compared to Sprint...might change in the near future"
Overall "Very decent service with very decent pricing"

06/21/2014: Still going strong with TMo. I upgraded to a GN3 and the service is still very good. Recently found out that LTE seems to drain my battery faster than UMTS so in areas with low coverage, rather than have the phone permanently looking for LTE service, I set it up so it only connects to UMTS. In addition, some areas have reported that are able to use VoLTE (voice over LTE) after an OTA to their (branded) devices.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Well finally jumped from Sprint to TMo about a month ago: service has been very good when compared to Sprint at my new location: Sprint got dumped for two main reasons: $200+ charge (after corp discount) AND really bad service (non-existent) at my new house.

So far service has been really nice: got LTE/HSPDA almost anywhere (in Miami that is) and it is also 'unlimited'... although not as 'unlimited' as Sprint's: Sprint's service did not mind how I was using my data, be it on the phone or tethering... TMo does mind: it is unlimited only on the device itself, even though they include a 500 MB tethering plan, after you hit the 500MB mark then you get redirected to a page to add 2G more for some price. Sprint NEVER had this issue at all regardless of data destination. Although this can be bypassed, some websites do not like the bypass itself.

Speed-wise, on LTE I have been able to hit 10 - 15 Mbps down / 1 - 2 Mbps up which is decent for mobile service. For gaming, it can run some FPS games with acceptable latency (25 to 50ms). As far as equipment, T-Mo BYOD policy allowed me to bring over a Nexus 4 from Google Play and get service on it (yes Nexus 4 supports T-Mo's LTE service), I only asked for the micro-sim.

BE AWARE: T-MOBILE WILL RUN A HARD CHECK AGAINST YOUR CREDIT. I thought that since there was no contract, similarly to prepaid service, I would just walk with my phone activated... well they do check your credit to get service.

Update: 01/13/2015

Service has been good so far. LTE deployment is still a bit slow, limited to most urban areas and some well transited highways. In some cases I have seen 1 Mbps/10Mbps (yep, 1Mbps down) but most of the time I see around 10/10, 15/10. Still better than Sprint.

member for 8.1 years, 2480 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by jbgroup1 See Profile

• Location: Dayton,Howard,MD
Good "Works well great call quality."
Bad "2G in some rural areas"
Overall "Great speeds, great calling and an overall good experience"

Got two phones with two different plans. My main phone which is a Galaxy S III has 500 anytime minutes and unlimited text and web (5GB at "4G" speeds). This plan also allows tethering. My other phone is a CM10 modded Galaxy S II and has the monthly US$30 unlimited text and 5GB data and 100 min. talk. This phone I use to tether my tablet for data while on the bus/train. Both plans have worked out so far and I have used the $30 plan for my data needs. It's good to have 10GB available per month. Overall I would say this is a great value.

10-Dec-2014:

I am now on the 4 lines for US$100 however one line is unlimited for US$30 more and another one has a 4.5GB cap for US $10 more. The other two lines are for 2.5GB. In 2016 The line's data caps fall to 3.5 on one line and 1GB on two others while the unlimited line continues. I have been generally happy with the coverage and greatly pleased the very few times I have had to contact customer service.

member for 14.7 years, 6066 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by buddahbless See Profile

• Location: Premium
Good "Flat rate prepaid @ $66 per mth for 2 lines, can use any TMO/gsm/unlocked phone"
Bad "coverage is still A little lackluster but good 4G speeds now"
Overall "For the price and the locations I frequent it works for me..."

UPdate: 11/11/14

Well here it is 2.5 yrs later and Im still on Tmobile I have to say they are definitely giving me the best bang for my buck, Currently I'm with the business plans under a larger company. At first I was a bit hesitant but found out if I ever have an issue I call Tmobile directly and they take care of the situation.

SO current I jumped in on the unlimited talk, txt and 2.5 GB of LTE data on each line With tethering Inc. so with 2 lines that comes out to $66 per month inc tax I cant beat that. My LTE speeds are rater impressive, even in some small cities such as Ocala FL where I snowbird I pull 39 mbps down and 10 mbps up on average. However the major highway access outside of major metros is still lackluster in spots ( i75, i4 & i95, FL turnpike). However with the new music freedom option that really is not so much of a problem even in some areas that drops to 2G the service streams pretty good ( for pandora anyway not so much for slacker).

I at one time considered Sprint as there offer is $60 for unlimited everything even high speed data for one line, as I own a unlocked Nexus 5 I could use there service with it, however before I jumped ship I was also interested in the TMO $80 plan for myself as it is Identical to the Sprint $60 plan, I'm at the edge of the ship ready to jump but then I read the fine print, WAIT the devil is in the details!

With TMO in there $80 plan it include tethering (hotspot) UP TO 5 GB of it, Sprints plan did not offer that. As Im on the road a lot and tether my laptop I need this function as Im not willing to carry or pay for a second device just to do what my nexus 5 can do freely. Upon checking with sprint to just use 6GB of there unlimited there giving me in there $60 plan I would need to pony up and extra $50. Wait What? Yes so even though Sprint is advertising all over how there $60 plan is more affordable compared to TMOs $80 plan, to have ALL the same features ( tethering included) it would cost me $110 on Sprint per month VS TMOs $80. In the end I ran across The Harbor site that gave me 2.5 GB inc Tether. So I when I to look at my usage in the winter months Im usually around 2GB of tether now per month as I travel a lot less. I can always upgrade my line come spring if needed.

But in the end T-Mobile won my business again.. Now if they could just ether acquire some rural roaming or get in good on the upcoming 600 mhz auction and expand that into rural areas I would be a totally happy camper.

Original post....

Well I've had a hate love relationship with cell phone carriers for as while ( from the time they started number porting) from sprint , to virgin, ATT and verizon to name a few. The last 1 yr Ive pretty much been on Tmobile prepaid for the $50 and $60 unlimited plan. It works for me, while I'm on contract work I purchase the $60 plan for that month as I'll need a lot of data while Im on the go and times when Im Off I'll drop my rate to the $50 plan. The one main positive is I can use any Tmobile phone I want on there prepaid plan, CAN'T do that with Verizon, ATT, or Sprint. I have A G2X and I use it to wireless tether my laptop and media player to the Internet and it works great, As a matter of fact Im using it right now writing this review while typing on my HP elite book. Over all for the price against the big three its the best bang for your buck when it comes to flexibility. However against Spring and there MNVOs when Tmobile throttles you you might as well say good buy to all the fun stuff your use to. the only thing its good for afterwards is just basic web surfing...

I notice no matter if you have the $50, 60, or 70 plan after you get throttled you will not download anything faster than 90-118 kbps and the average I get is around 79 kbps in places around Florida. and your upload will vary between 110 and 180 kbps. So yes you will actually get a faster upload than download once throttled. thats a big difference from what the normal 4G speed now is, around 10mbps (or 10,000 kbps). Dropping from 10,000 to less than 100. as you know is a big change!

Also surely enough using and android phone with many apps updating can take forever once the throttle is put in place. Also one month I downgraded to the $50 plan I decided to let the phone do a google/ android app update and it ate through over 1/2 of the 100mb at 4G in just an hour with just the updates alone. so the phone really becomes just a basic web surfing phone with a pretty screen after day one. Just a word to the wise.. Id prefer truly unlimited 3G web on my phone vs. the threshold then throttled 4g that t mobile is currently offering.

Over all a good fair price and great for those who want to use a high end phone if if its only just for show.

>>>>UPDATE>>>>

recently moved services to Walmart Family mobile for a test run as of Feb 2012 and I couldn't pass up the limited time offer of unlimited 3G web with talk and txt, and I must say Im happier but not satisfied. well it does take a lot to please me. But lets start off with the fact that walmart mobile is simply just T-mobile postpaid without a contract. OK pros and cons...

. Lets start off with the fact that Walmart sells there service as unlimited T,T,& 3G web for $45. however you have to add taxes to that $45 becomes $50 after taxes and fees.

. You can only pay through Walmart and you must pay your bill on-time or there is a $5 fee.

. There unlimited talk and text is just that it it covers all of Tmo's network and some of there roaming partners but there unlimited 3G web is far from 3G

. T-mobile real 3G on my phone which is a 4G phone usually tops out around 5mbps on walmart mobile the highest Ive ever hit was 1.1 mbps. and this is coming from the same tower that before I switched I was receiving 9.2mbps on Tmo's 4g plan

.So that proves the Walmart service is being throttled and full 3G is NOT available.

. However the 5GB of data threshold is a LOT more gracious than Tmo's 100mbs for $50.

.Even at 1.1 mbps you still have enough throughput to tether any devices you have and be able to stream pandora, youtube, etc with no problem something that is impossible to do once Tmo throttles you after your 100mbs.

.You dont need a walmart mobile phone just a sim as you can use almost any T-mobile phone, with a few exceptions.

. In comparison to An offer from a company called simple mobile with walmart mobile you get more bang for your buck Simple's unlimited 3G plan actually only gets up to 256mbps.

.With Walmarts Plan you can add lines and save $10 per line something you CAN'T do with Tmo's own prepaid or simple mobiles plans.

. Im paying $50 for what TMO charges you for $70 a month for high speed internet access of 5GB. Im saving $240 a year and thats the real big picture.

So in conclusion Im happier however not still fully satisfied. if they would allow you to get your full 3G I'd rate it 8 out of 10. I have yet to deal with a customer support issue so that my mean +1/-1 in the grading scale.

Comments:

Review by cmarslett See Profile

• Location: Pflugerville,Travis,TX
Good "Cheap, good coverage except east of the UTexas campus, European coverage."
Bad "Nothing right now!"
Overall "Excellent on the road, at the airport, and tethering works great!"

We have 5 phone lines (2 Note 3s, 1 Note II, 1 Google Nexus GSM & 1 LG Optimus 9) and one tablet line (iPAD Air).

T-Mobile service is working out better than I expected. Support at the T-Mobile store is far better than my past experience with Verizon and AT&T. Web site and pre-sales support is their weak spot.

Unlimited voice/text/data is $110+ total: that's for 4 phone lines and maybe 4 tablet lines (promo through 2015). More lines are $10 each. 2.5GB of 4G data is the current promo for high speed data, after end of 2015, this reverts to 1GB of 4G data for phones and 512MB for tablets.

Includes free tablet line for each phone line, so I'm paying $140 (plus about $25 in extra fees) for the 6 lines total including the JUMP charge for the three newest phones (I may drop that, it's not a great deal). Free tethering, free data and text in Europe. THAT'S CHEAP.

SpeedTest.net tells me I get 70 ms pings and 2-7 Mbit down with 1-2 Mbit up these days. That's a bit slower than I got last year, probably because T-Mobile's "uncarrier" promos are overloading their backbone and towers. Still plenty fast though I think the spec for HSPA+ is 21 Mbit and LTE is twice that..

I would like better coverage (central Austin seems to be a black hole!). Otherwise, service is as good as it started out being.

Netflix looks as good as it could on a 5" screen. And of course tethering to my laptop in airports is a really good deal, too. Thank you, T-Mobile!

Comments:
ArizonaSteve

join:2004-01-31
Apache Junction, AZ

8-9 Mbit down?

Do you really get 8-9 Mbit down? Are you sure that's right? It doesn't seem possible since their "4G" is just the old 3G that was renamed but still runs at the same speed as evidenced by the fact there is no 3G anymore. Here in the Phoenix area there is no 3G now, just "4G" some places at about 2.7Mb and Edge everywhere else at 127Kb and it's too slow for any of the Android apps to work.
Their 3G used to connect at 7Mb and give a speed of about 3Mb but now the "4G" actually seems to be slower at 2.7Mb.
cmarslett

join:2006-11-22
Pflugerville, TX
·Clearwire
·NetTalk
·Clear Wireless
·Clearwire Wireless

Re: 8-9 Mbit down?

Not reliably, as I mentioned. I can download a 1.1 GB file and get that kind of speed at 2AM. I've done it 2-3 times just to verify it. That's tethered to my laptop, since even a high end phone with a fast SDcard can't handle that rate (as far as I can tell - Gnex can't, and a Nexus One with a C10 microSD both peak out at about a quarter of that).

But when the towers get really congested I have even seen the up/down drop to around 300kbit/600kbit (yeah, upload faster than download!).

And you're right about the 3G going away, here too, if I use HSPA+ I get a good signal in my office (Gnex). If I connect with the older 3G or HSPA(-) using my Nexus One, it drops out regularly. I suspect they are killing circuits right and left.

djdanska
Rudie32
Premium,MVM
join:2001-04-21
San Diego, CA
I have no problem downloading at over 20Mb/s down in northern Virginia, NYC, and Chicago using my HTC amaze 4g

buddahbless

join:2005-03-21

difference between 3G/4G TMO and ATT service

this may help explain the difference in terminology TMO and ATT (before LTE) use to describe there 3G and 4G service.
HSPA = 3G
HSPA+ =4G
»www.differencebetween.com/differ···hnology/
ArizonaSteve

join:2004-01-31
Apache Junction, AZ

Re: difference between 3G/4G TMO and ATT service

That's not true for T-Mobile who seem to have come up with their own standards. Here in AZ for 3G they use HSPA+ on 1700Mhz. It connects at 7Mb and gives you an actual speed of about 3Mb down, 1-2Mb up. For 4G they use something called WCDMA on 1760Mhz but that only works in or around T-Mobile stores since there isn't much coverage anywhere else. The 4G speed measures just 4-5Mb though even with 5 bars at the store, it's not really fast like they claim.

Review by sk1939 See Profile

• Location: Laurel,Prince Georges,MD
Good "Cheap, decent 4G speeds, good coverage area."
Bad "Does not work in tunnels, some rural areas, metro/train stations."
Overall "Decent cost/benefit for Voice and Data"

I first got T Mobile way back before Cingular merged with AT&T to form AT&T Wireless. At the time I was using AT&T prepaid, but somehow during the transition with Cingular (around 2005), I not only lost service, but lost my entire account as well. Still needing a cell phone I signed up with T-Mobile which included 300 minutes for what was a relatively reasonable $25 a month (never used all of them). A few years later, around 2007, I moved to a family plan that I have been happy with, and added data and text to a single line for a few dollars more a month. All in all, 3 lines with text ($5 for 500 messages) and 200MB ($15) on one line for

Comments:

Review by cb14 See Profile

• Location: Miami Beach,Miami-Dade,FL
Good "price, plans, customer service,no contract, metro connection quality,GSM carrier"
Bad "rural coverage "
Overall "strongly recommended"

On edit 2014/10/15 getting better and better. Due to increase in customer numbers, sometimes longer waits for CS.

On edit 2014-06-04
I have changed my legacy plan to the new unlimited minutes, texting and 500MB data capped for $ 40/month plus about $ 9.90/month in taxes and junk fees.
There is an overall improvement noticeable lately, although some issues remain. TMO is by far the best of the big four, nobody coming even close.

On edit 2013/10/06
Connection reliability has improved somewhat lately, I am upgrading the rating.

I have service with TMO US for over 6 years I have a legacy 1500 minute voice plan for 39.95 plus about $ 9.80 in taxes and junk fees and an unlocked Nokia C3-01.
I cannot comment much on data, because I use data on the phone only via wi-fi.
TMO used to have an exceptional customer service, unfortunately it got significantly worse lately . Also the signal and connection quality decreased over the last 18 months. The problems are most pronounced with 2G services- there are rumors that TMO moved away a part of their 1900 Mhz PCS spectrum.The formerly excellent coverage maps were replaced with optimistic, unreliable propaganda maps( like the other carriers). Some rough business practices popped up lately, like the lightning fast disconnecting of service once the account is past due.
Rural coverage is not great in many areas. I use a Verizon prepaid as a back up.Calls get forwarded to once I am out of coverage- a great feature.
Choice of phones is not great, but an advantage of a GSM carrier is the availability of vast selection of unlocked GSM phones on Amazon.
Having said all of that, I still consider T-Mobile USA the best choice out of the 'big four'

member for 1.9 years, 744 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
dickybilly

·magicjack.com

TMO is fine but change to their cheaper prepaid plans

I too have been a TMO legacy customer for 7 years. Currently I pay $65/mo incl fees for unlimited voice. Text is 20cents/msg, data @ $2/mb since I don't use much data. Locally in the Dallas TX region I've never had an issue with quality of voice, text and 3G data. When I travel to south FL the TMO 2G and voice service is terrible but the 3G/4G is better.
I'm about to kill my current plan (I haven't had a contract with TMO for years) for a TMO prepaid $30/mo 1500 minutes voice/text and 30mb data/month. One has to be crazy to continue to pay for the higher TMO rate plans.
I've also had TMO@home broadband voice for years. Service has never been a problem but paying $13/mo incl fees for home voice is steep considering cheaper MagicJackPlus service (which I've tested as fine but watch out for them nickel and diming you over service costs).
I'm about to drop TMO@home because once I go prepaid for TMO cell service they won't allow me to keep TMO@home service. I'm porting my phone# to MagicjackPlus service for less than 1/2 the cost/year than TMO@home. I may be one of the few people who are satisfied with MJPlus.
TMO technical support is getting rough over the phone or chat online. Sometimes good most times spotty. Customer service in-store is spotty..if you find a good rep stick with him or her otherwise keep looking in other stores until you find one you can depend on who knows TMO. BTW, don't trust anything an in-store rep sez w/o doing your own investigation of plans and rates. DO NOT sign up for anything w/o leaving the store and checking first.
TBBroadband

join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH

Re: TMO is fine but change to their cheaper prepaid plans

Actually your post is incorrect. TMO does care what phones you attach to their network. They have a clause that any phone that is NOT purchased from their actual Corp. Stores or via www.t-mobile.com they do not have to support not allow it on their network. They have had that clause since using the Voice Stream brand. Phones from dealers also fall into that category of does not have to be supported.

please reread my post
"I've twice brought my own GSM phone over the internet and connected them to TMO w/o any issue on their part. They don't care what phone you connect to their network."

cb14

join:2013-02-04
Miami Beach, FL
·callwithus
·localphone.com
·Google Voice
·Callcentric
·magicjack.com
Before you decide to go with prepaid please consider that prepaid TMO plans are in network only, meaning NO ROAMING which will make the not so great rural coverage far worse. With the worsening performance of the TMO voice services in South FL I already have to use a Verizon prepaid phone as a back up.
It is your choice, but before you spend money porting your number to Magic Junk you may want to port it to Google Voice, get a Obi 100 for $ 40.- and enjoy a free service with voice quality way above MJ. Plus , you can put a second provider on your Obi, e.g. the free NYC DID from Callcentric on pay as you go for outgoing calls.
To the other poster : TMO does not provide technical support for a non- TMO phone, which means if you have a problem with the handset you have to contact the manufacturer, but otherwise they SUPPORT them.

Re: TMO is fine but change to their cheaper prepaid plans

Thanks for the suggestions. Luckily my South FL travel areas don't include (I think) roaming areas but I have to investigate further. Generally my SFL area is the I-95 corridor between Ft. Lauderdale and Miami, west to the BB&T Center in Sunrise where voice/data is the worst but still in network.
As for MagicJack, for my local area it's fine and I welcome your suggestion, thanks.

The biggest issue I have with roaming is many people (including TMO instore staff) have told me roaming is not included ... and I believe it...however the TMO website for the prepaid plans sez "National coverage with no roaming charges"...
I suppose in TMO doubletalk they mean no roaming charges because they don't allow roaming off their national network. the TMO phone must go dead for out of network calling when on a prepaid plan.

cb14

join:2013-02-04
Miami Beach, FL
·callwithus
·localphone.com
·Google Voice
·Callcentric

Re: TMO is fine but change to their cheaper prepaid plans

You are correct. In the area you described you do not need roaming indeed.
Love the doubletalk ! Basically it means that you do not have to pay for what they do not offer. Very generous, I would say.

Review by mark760 See Profile

• Location: Milwaukee,Milwaukee,WI
Good "easy to set up"
Bad "capped, but most generous"
Overall "internet in a hurry, best bet"

my dsl went down on a saturday....Was told the following thursday would send someone to look at it. Hopped in my car and went to wally world and picked up a 4g hot spot with 5 gigs for $50. In minutes was online. Granted my speeds arent the greatest, but it is better than nothing. I am pretty easy to please, just make the process simple and have the service be reliable.