Verizon BroadbandAccess page on DSLReports

Review by benjamin5023 See Profile

• Location: Aylett,King William,VA
Good "Mobility"
Bad "Rual areas not good as access classified as 4G coverage are throttled during peak times. "
Overall "Daytime good service is great, support is poor"

·Verizon Wireless..
Used Verizon for over 15 years. 90% of our services have been excellent. We have one remote office located in a Rural Area that is advertised for full 4G Coverage is classified by Verizon Network Technicians as a Marginal Area. Day time it works great, but in the evenings after about 5pm the speed drops and appears throttled. We are looking at other options.

Getting new service is quick. Their sales system is designed for over the phone and next day or two business day connect. You can get instant service by going into the store but plan on long waits. They use these IPAD's to check people in and it seems to take a lot more time.

We have used many of their devices ranging from smart phones Droids OS, to IPHONEs, to various Jetpak. One Jetpak to avoid is the Ellipsis. I am on my third replacement.

They are taking strives to put the phone agents in control of improving the end result of the support service. I have seen some improvement in this area.

Comments:

Review by Kkrunch See Profile

• Location: Edwall,Lincoln,WA
Good "I have internet and it not Hughes satellite"
Bad "I have a capped Verizon @90.00 for 20 GB"
Overall "In the boonies choices are limited"

·Verizon Wireless..
20 gb, 90 bucks, extra is expensive, there is a 30 gb plan around 120.
Consistent speed, always on, seems reliable. Order and install smooth and as promised. Verizon modem, wifi with 4 hard wire ethernet connections.
If it was $40 cheaper and unlimited and would be an OK deal. Not going to be streaming and hi-def at these prices. At least I have internet now.

TURN OFF Live Tiles in Windows 8 unless you really want to bump up your usage. Surprising how much they bump up data use.

member for 13.1 years, 1966 visits, last login: 4 days ago

Comments:

Review by kalanic00 See Profile

• Location: Anchorage,Anchorage,AK
Good "Fast and reliable"
Bad "Expensive. Data meter seems inaccurate."
Overall "Ready for a change once my contact time runs out"

The speed is the best I've experienced over wireless. However, it seems that I hit my capped limit very quickly, prompting me to upgrade my plan when I am less than two-thirds through the billing period.

Comments:

Review by whamel See Profile

• Location: Hinsdale,Du Page,IL
Good "Verizon 4G in area is excellent. Full bars. 4G coverage when traveling EXCELLENT! Speeds great too, even at 1 bar."
Bad "EXPENSIVE and data use is capped. 6GB/month @ $80 is steep!"
Overall "Best to use voice, text and data as a package. Unlimited Talk and Text, but only 6GB/month makes for total $200/month bill."

Shareable DATA- I have 2 smartphones on plan, @ $40/month PER phone, but we get:
1.) Unlimited TALK & TEXT
2.) 8 GB data/month @ $90/month (shared between devices)
3.) Mobile Hotspot - Use smartphones as Wi-Fi hotspots at no additional cost.

After taxes and fees, my plan comes to around $200/month for 2 smartphones with the features listed above. When connected to Verizon cell, and I have full signal strength, I can get 35 Mbps download and 15 Mbps upload. I have seen burstable speeds in the 50 Mbps range for both up and down. I have had Verizon for 14 years and I can say that while it is expensive (relative to other carriers) I have ALWAYS had a great experience with Verizon. It is especially convenient that 4G is available literally everywhere. However speeds on the road can vary wildly.
In the Chicagoland area however I get consistent voice and text. Data coverage in 4G can vary wildly too. Where I live in Hinsdale I get excellent coverage, however when I go to another town (for example Lombard) I get very bad signal strength. I use my Motorola DROID RAZR MAXX as a mobile hotspot frequently. As mentioned above, when in Lombard using 4G mobile hotspot, I can hardly sustain 2 Mbps down and 200 Kbps upload. I volunteer every other week for homeless shelters in Lombard and having ability to get on internet when doing 8 hour overnight shifts is essential. But coverage in this city is terrible.
In Hinsdale however it's excellent. I have used my 4G mobile hotspot to even connect to XBOX Live when I had problems with my home wireline broadband, and I get excellent results. Latency in Hinsdale is quite low (compared to other town's 4G signal).

SO while it IS expensive, it is relatively consistent, fast, and reliable. Since I have had ZERO problems with Verizon for 14 years, I don't really see a switch of carriers on the horizon. I DO highly recomment their 4G broadband, if you have decent signal. Otherwise it can just be utterly worthless.
Currently, at half signal strength I get 10 Mbps down and 2 Mbps up, see speedtest here:
»/im/105871097/8457.png

-----------------------------------------------REVIEW from 2007 BELOW-----------------------------------------------------------------
So after a few days of testing, of which I will update again soon, I have been averaging just about what they claim, 700kbps, with burstable speeds of, well, I don't know....I did see a top speed of 3000kbps in my log, but I don't know if it's possible. However, when I am in an area with great coverage, I can easily average 1500kbps consistently. Below is my plan, all the features included, the hardware I use, and what I pay for. Also I have some ping times below.

Data Plan: BROADBANDACCESS PROMO UNLIMITED $59.99 2YR 0805
Hardware: USB720
Monthly Access $59.99/mo
0.08% ACCESS DISCOUNT
UNLIMITED MB ALLOWANCE $0.00
Additional Peak Minutes* $0.25/min
*Outside the national or Broadbandaccess enhanced service and coverage rate area.

Features
TXT MSG W PER MSG CHARGES- $0.00
WPP ASURION INSURANCE - $4.99/mo
$0.15 Per Text Message sent or received
1XEVDO REV.A SPEED COVERAGE

Heres a "tracert" or Trace Route to www.dslreports.com with a signal strength of -70dBm:
Tracing route to dslreports.com [209.123.109.175] over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 77 ms 69 ms 73 ms 4.sub-66-174-52.myvzw.com [66.174.52.4]
2 * * * Request timed out.
3 80 ms 92 ms 73 ms 113.sub-66-174-176.myvzw.com [66.174.176.113]

19 132 ms 138 ms 138 ms att-gige.esd1.nwr.nac.net [12.119.140.26]
20 150 ms 139 ms 152 ms 3.ge-3-0-0.gbr2.nwr.nac.net [209.123.11.189]
21 146 ms 137 ms 174 ms 0.so-0-3-0.gbr1.oct.nac.net [209.123.11.233]
22 148 ms 144 ms 141 ms www.dslreports.com [209.123.109.175]

TO VIEW A SCREENSHOT OF REAL-TIME DOWNLOAD/UPLOAD STATS, AND TO VIEW MY WIRELESS CARDS HARDWARE SPECS, PLEASE VISIT:
»www.billhamel.net/vzw/speed.jpg
Peace, for now....

Comments:

Review by JF3324 See Profile

• Location: Curwensville,Clearfield,PA
Good "It is fast and reliable."
Bad "It is exspensive"
Overall "If you can afford it, it's worth every penny."

I have the 10 GB package. It suites my needs.

Comments:

Review by IowaCowboy See Profile

• Location: Indian Orchard,Hampden,MA
Good "Solid, fast, reliable."
Bad "Low bandwidth allowances"
Overall "Serves as a good backup to unreliable wireline internet"

I had the new AT&T MiFi for a little under a month for $60 for 5GB of usage. The reason I switched to Verizon is due to the high cost of the AT&T DataConnect plans and their lack of options even though I've been loyal to AT&T for six years and counting. Cost is a big driver for me. I like to have mobile broadband, but I only need it occasionally. Verizon offered me a MiFi Novatel 2200 MiFi Free with a 2 year agreement and they were running a promotion of 3 GB for $35 per month, which is a much better deal than AT&T 5GB @ $60 per month. I don't use the computer outside the house more than a couple of times per week so the 3GB/$35 per month fit my lifestyle perfectly. I went to the Verizon Wireless store at Holyoke Mall in Holyoke, MA and the sale of the device took less than 15 minutes. I went home and the setup was straightforward and I was online in less than 10 minutes. I did have a minor glitch with it dropping connections when connecting via the USB cable to my MacBook Pro but the solution was just a reconfiguration of the Network Preferences in the Mac OS software and did not warrant a call to tech support. Connection speed is about average for a cellular connection. It is not as fast as my cable modem but is not as slow as dial up either. I would compare the speed to the average DSL connection. So the bottom line is that Verizon Wireless has mobile broadband plans to fit every need and lifestyle, although it is intended to supplement a wireline connection and not replace one.

Update 6/24/2011

I just got the Novatel MiFi 4510L and it works great. They let me get full discount upgrade pricing (even though I bought the 2200 6 months ago) because they are upgrading my area to 4G. It is 6/24/2011 and Verizon is not scheduled to run 4G in Western Massachusetts until 7/21/11. I am currently getting moderate signal and my connection is comparable to a cable modem. I am using it right now to post this review. I did try the Samsung, but I exchanged it for the MiFi 4510L under the advice of the Verizon salesman and I find the Novatel works better than the Samsung. The only issue is that I could not keep my $35/3GB plan and had to kick it up to the $50/5GB plan. I would drop my home internet (Comcast) and use the VZW MiFi as my primary internet connection in a heartbeat (considering the many problems I've had with Comcast) but the VZW plans go up to 10 GB and I use an average of 12 GB per month on my home connection (which would get costly with the MiFi and you cannot connect ethernet devices to it and you can only have a maximum of 5 devices online at once and I have 5 devices that are online 24 hours a day (2 TiVo boxes, Wii, PS3, Apple TV, HP Printer). I also have as many as 2 computers online at once also.

Update 12/22/2012

Since Verizon Wireless upgraded much of their footprint to LTE, the speeds are like having a cable modem on the go. The old 3G EVDO speeds are more DSL like. I use Verizon Wireless 4G to access the Internet with the built in cell radios in my iPad and iPad mini and using these devices on the go is no different than using fixed line broadband with the devices connected to my home network. Verizon can have issues with billing at times.

My current MiFi is the ZTE UML 890L and I think it performs slightly better than the Novate

4510L.

The reception in my area (Springfield, MA) is pretty good but it will sometimes kick down to 3G if you are in a large building or in a basement (such as the food court at Holyoke Mall). It also sometimes kicks down to to 3G if you're in a moving vehicle (such as a bus or train).

Update 11/3/2013

I just bought the new 4G LTE Broadband Router With Voice to serve as a backup to my somewhat unreliable Comcast internet connection (that goes out more than enough times to justify the cost of buying a backup connection) and I only activated the data side of the device but I may activate the voice portion later on. It does have an alarm port on it that may allow me to connect my security system (I'm suspecting they'll support it when they go VoLTE) and that will allow me to cut the landline completely. On the device itself it is a simple gadget, Wireless router with a LTE cellular radio, three ethernet ports and two phone ports and an RJ31x port (for future use) and provides some pretty decent and stable speeds for wireless internet and performs better than a mobile hotspot. I did put it under the cable modem and I left it on so if the Comcast goes out I can switch to Verizon at anytime.

As for the connection itself, I'm pulling about 20 mbps down and 10 mbps up and my ping tests are about 42 ms. The connection itself is pretty stable but I am in an area with decent 4G LTE coverage. The device does require a 4G signal in order to function. As for the PingTest.net grades, I got a B rating when I tested.

As for the connection itself, it's intended for use as a backup connection unless you have limited options such as DSL/dialup or a provider who is unwilling to fix an unreliable connection. You DO have to be in a 4G LTE coverage area to use this device.

member for 4 years, 2022 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by ke4pym See Profile

• Location: Charlotte,Mecklenburg,NC
Good "Service works well."
Overall "If you've got the coin to blow, it's worth it!"

10/13 - No longer subscribe to this service directly. Got a Galaxy S4 with unlimited data and spent the extra $30/mo to tether via WiFi. That service works great. Ended up saving about $35/mo.

--------

12/11 - Started noticing stability issues with my KPC-680. Wouldn't keep a connection or would revert to 1x and stay there. Called VZW to get help. They sent a new card. New card wouldn't fit into my laptop (it was the correct size, but still to big to slide in and out of the card slot).

They sent another card. And as they were, I noticed the 1st new card was doing the same thing (staying in 1x, unstable, etc). It dawned on me that I'd never forced the card into EVDO only mode like I had on my old laptop. So, I ended up sending back both "new" cards and keeping the KPC680 with it forced in EVDO mode. Since then, no issues and even managed to pull down a 2.1Mbps speed test!

Still wish it was cheaper. Really getting tired of dropping $60 a month on this thing. Would use my Thunderbolt and save $30/mo, but it does not have a stable 4G (or 3G) connection where I use it most.

-----------------

1/11 - Still truckin'. No issues. Speeds are fine. Wish their LTE service had an unlimited data option. I'd upgrade to that.

4/10 - No issues since the last update. Card is performing very well. Was in Myrtle Beach, SC in January and recorded a 2.5Mbps download speed test! Get around 1-1.5Mbps at work where I normally use the card. On occasion the connection will drop. And the only way to get it back is to reboot Windows 7. It happens maybe 2 times every 6 months. Annoying. But not enough to research and fix.

12/27/09 - Got a new laptop in June of 09. Switched over to the RevA card they gave me some time back (KPC680). Service has been flawless. 1.4Mb/sec down, 800Kb/sec up is my best speed test. My account is due for renewal at any time now. I'm going to hold out until Q2 2010 in hopes that big red will release a 3G/4G card.

1/09 - Service at work (where I mainly use this device) had some issues awhile back when Verizon moved their tower from a building to a stand alone tower. Tech support wasn't very helpful but I finally got to some folks that knew a thing or two. Still using a Rev0 card since I've not upgraded my laptop to use the RevA card they gave me this year. Service works fine and the issues at work seem to have magically disappeared.

My bill still says "Unlimited KB per month". But I only download around 500MB a month. Too lazy to test them on their 5GB quota.

-----------

3/30 - Noticed my bill had gone up $0.60 this month. I called in to inquire why my bill had gone up (I never use my minutes, roam, call LD or go over my data plan). The person I spoke with said that the administrative fee had gone up $0.30 for both the data and voice lines. I told her I was going to review my customer agreement because when I bought the plans I agreed that my rate would not change for 2 years. She agreed and said that she would credit my account every month for the remainder of my contract for the said $0.60! Now that's service.

Also, sometime back in February my data card decided that it no longer wanted to maintain a stable connection. Called them up on a Friday afternoon and had my new card on Monday morning. Took 1 10 minute call to get the new card up and running.

12/1 - recently, I grabbed Dr TCP and modified my laptop's RWin settings. Speed is now running around 1.3Mbps down and 130kbps up. Latency is still a little high - average to www.yahoo.com was 208ms. Not too bad for surfing or telnet applications. Still worth the coin to me. Wish I used my cell phone as much as I use this card.

The one complaint I have is the connection reliability during rain/thunderstorms. The card has a lot of trouble staying connected. I've got 4 bars of signal and it will still drop quite a bit in nasty weather. I quit using the VZN Manager software once tech support told me how to configure DUN to make the connection. VPN issues are gone now that I use a Juniper client instead of a Checkpoint client. The Juniper dealie is a ActiveX plugin for Internet Explorer and seems to work very well. Every time the card has connection issues I call up tech support and complain.

I use this card 99.8% of the time at work. I've used it at home twice. I am too far away from the tower for the card to work with any speed. If my primary internet connection failed and I just HAD to get to the internet it'd be ok.

----------------

So I came into the early 90's by getting a cell phone. Actually, I was more interested in the wireless internet than the cell phone. Service, without voice is about $100 a month. I figure I'm getting the cell phone for free in this case.

I started with the free 5740 something card. It worked, but not so well. No external antenna on it. Did manage to get a 700/200ish connection standing next to a tower. I took the card back before my 15 days were up and ordered the Kyocera 650 card. It has an external antenna as well as antenna ports. Took them a week to get me the new card (even though after a delay and screw up of the order and a reorder via over night).

This new card works much better at my home. I'm sure it should prove to work as well as if not better at work (were aforementioned cell tower lives). Got 400/100 at the house on 2 bars.

Hope I like this service to keep paying $60/mo for 2 years. And that I don't go over my "unlimited" 10GB/month allotment of bandwidth.

Paid $19.99 for the card using my work's discount plan. So far, it's worth the 20 bucks.

member for 10.2 years, 5012 visits, last login: a few hours ago
updated 1 year ago

Comments:

Review by NYGiants See Profile

• Location: Bowling Green,Caroline,VA
Good "portable, if LTE is in area go for it"
Bad "5 GB cap, can't check data usage"
Overall "faster than dial-up, more reliable than sattelite"

·DIRECTV
- Novatel 4620L
- Joined in August 2012
-Connection can stay steady for hours at a time
- Subpar signal on 4G but get lucky to get over 2 bars (highest RSSI is 42% which equals 2 bars)
- Youtube usage has to be low but works fine
- 5Gigs is too low for 72 $ a month
- Ping times are average to good (depends on network, read speed tests Ev-Do vs LTE
- YAY no more DIALUP!!!!!!!!!!

OVERALL: B-

Update 9-30

- No connection issues, feels fast still (not EXTREMELY fast, but more like quick)
- almost no late day latency issues
- no changes to ratings

I searched google for locking the 4620L on LTE and it is not possible. But if this can hold up, I can brag about actual broadband to the most rural county in central Virginia, Caroline.
Latest bill that we went over cap was 90 dollars but was only a one time thing and am not adding that to the monthly cost info above.

Update 11/14/12

»speedtest.net/result/2228422121.png
»speedtest.net/result/2228429128.png
»speedtest.net/result/2324807347.png

Update 11/30/12

-Updated firmware, shows signal strength in percent, shows MDN

Update 12/1/12
- Traveled to Richmond and Fredericksburg (VA) and almost never lost LTE signal, all surrounding counties and mine are part of LTE.

Update 1/3/13
- It will always connect to LTE if in window (5 ft from computer), but the caps are now a problem due to fast speeds (faster speed=faster to the cap)
-Latency is now not a issue at all
4GLTE Speedtests
»speedtest.net/result/2411786080.png
»speedtest.net/result/2411790944.png

Update 1/22/13

Questions?
What other Options did you consider for broadband?
We already knew Hughes is a worthless piece of trash but Wildblue was close to being our next provider until we all read the reviews.

What SPEED/package did you order, at what monthly cost?
We bought a LTE modem with 5GB of data which cost 59 dollars a month.

How was the order & install process?
My aunt bought the modem and wifi stick from our local verizon store, just had to bring it home turn on and connect.

What brand/model was the supplied equipment?
The mifi device was a Novatel 4620L with LTE support.

What good or bad experiences most struck you?
ummmmmmmmmmm....... coverage and mobility, VA is a well covered state (Tmobile is horrid 2G, ATT is covered, Verizon is LTE, and Sprint is decent)

Update 2/24/13

-Now i can lock the connection to whatever i want, the only flaw is the low 5gb cap

Update 4/14/13

-still good but new firmware does not check data usage for some reason

Comments:
dmc271

join:2008-09-02
Stillwater, OK

An antenna may help

If you get 1 bar of 4G, then there's a very good chance that you could get a solid signal by using a directional external antenna. I was in your same situation, and an external antenna made a night-and-day difference for me.

I purchased a Wilson panel antenna for around $70.

Alternatively, if you're interested in building your own LTE antenna, see »bcbj.org/antennae/lte_yagi_diy.htm

ITALIAN926

join:2003-08-16

Junk

If people sign up for this crap, youll never see FiOS. LOL
stenman

join:2007-03-07
Salinas, CA

Re: Junk

FiOS - right that makes sense. I cannot even get DSL from my local telco thato is AT&T. The phone companies have fewer headaches and make a lot more money from 4G. Even better, Verizon and AT&T are doing a different 4G implementation so not only do you have to buy a telco specific smart phone, iPad, or modem, you also have to buy a telco specific RF booster.

Fiber is being put in the ground to service dense concentrations of users and towers (backbone to internet). If you live in a rural area the odds of getting fiber are on par with getting high speed train service in the USA - i.e. zilch.

ITALIAN926

join:2003-08-16

Re: Junk

Ah, I incorrectly assumed you were in a local Verizon area. I will reword my statement.

If people sign up for this crap, youll never see Uverse. LOL

rza49311

join:2010-11-11
united state

lock in 4g mode

"I searched google for locking the 4620L on LTE and it is not possible."

It's possible on my 4620L. I have mine locked into 3G mode and see the option for "4G only" as well. No 4G here yet though.

Log into the mifi admin page (»192.168.1.1) if you haven't changed the IP. Go to the Network Tab > WWAN sub tab > scroll down til you see the WWAN Preferred Mode option > select "4g only".
NYGiants

join:2012-08-31
united state

Re: lock in 4g mode

thank you but i have found that now im going to lock it to 3g so it doesnt blast thru our cap, now i can change it to whatever the heck i want 1x,3g, hspa, LTe

Review by thatissick See Profile

• Location: Atlanta,Fulton,GA
Good "4G footprint getting bigger"
Bad "Price...maybe."
Overall "It's good, for the money."

Update 11/2012

Have the GNex. Stock android phone. Their 4G service is still fast. So far so good.
-------------------------

Comments:

Review by djdanska See Profile

• Location: Galesburg,Knox,IL
Good "I get signal"
Bad "Can't do anything with the signal"
Overall "Absolutly horrible, extremely slow speeds, expensive device."

·Cox HSI
I got the MiFi to use while in western Illinois, galesburg. (My t-mobile phone is edge here). The actual device was well over $50 more than the same device from t-mobile. That burned me first. Second, i get it running and the fastest speedtest i got was 150/800. WTF? I got the same download (which is what i care about) from my t-mobile 2g connection!

Beyond slow, not worth it. I'm sticking with my old 2g connection.

member for 13.5 years, 6837 visits, last login: 337 days ago

Comments:

Boroguy333

@myvzw.com

What device?

I have a Verizon mifi4510 and I got an external antenna from the 3gstore and it works great for 4g reception and this is thru heavily wooded area between me and the tower. If that is the mifi you have get an external antenna.

djdanska

join:2001-01-09
Howell, MI

You have no 4G

Galesburg has no 4G.

Within the next year, I bet you go from dial-up speed to 30mbps.

djdanska
Rudie32
Premium,MVM
join:2001-04-21
San Diego, CA

Re: You have no 4G

is Verizon 3g this slow everywhere? I'm glad I got it in prepaid!

Jon Geb
Wal-Mart Sucks

join:2001-01-09
Howell, MI

Re: You have no 4G

Some spots it reasonably fast, but as a whole... Verizon is putting most resources to improving 4G and they are spreading it at a rapid pace.