Verizon BroadbandAccess page on DSLReports

Review by Kkrunch See Profile

• Location: Edwall,Lincoln,WA
Good "I have internet and it not Hughes satellite"
Bad "I have a capped Verizon @90.00 for 20 GB"
Overall "In the boonies choices are limited"

·Verizon Wireless..
20 gb, 90 bucks, extra is expensive, there is a 30 gb plan around 120.
Consistent speed, always on, seems reliable. Order and install smooth and as promised. Verizon modem, wifi with 4 hard wire ethernet connections.
If it was $40 cheaper and unlimited and would be an OK deal. Not going to be streaming and hi-def at these prices. At least I have internet now.

TURN OFF Live Tiles in Windows 8 unless you really want to bump up your usage. Surprising how much they bump up data use.

member for 12.9 years, 1960 visits, last login: 4 days ago

Comments:

Review by djdanska See Profile

• Location: Galesburg,Knox,IL
Good "I get signal"
Bad "Can't do anything with the signal"
Overall "Absolutly horrible, extremely slow speeds, expensive device."

·Cox HSI
I got the MiFi to use while in western Illinois, galesburg. (My t-mobile phone is edge here). The actual device was well over $50 more than the same device from t-mobile. That burned me first. Second, i get it running and the fastest speedtest i got was 150/800. WTF? I got the same download (which is what i care about) from my t-mobile 2g connection!

Beyond slow, not worth it. I'm sticking with my old 2g connection.

member for 13.2 years, 6837 visits, last login: 244 days ago

Comments:

Boroguy333

@myvzw.com

What device?

I have a Verizon mifi4510 and I got an external antenna from the 3gstore and it works great for 4g reception and this is thru heavily wooded area between me and the tower. If that is the mifi you have get an external antenna.

djdanska

join:2001-01-09
Howell, MI

You have no 4G

Galesburg has no 4G.

Within the next year, I bet you go from dial-up speed to 30mbps.

djdanska
Rudie32
Premium,MVM
join:2001-04-21
San Diego, CA

Re: You have no 4G

is Verizon 3g this slow everywhere? I'm glad I got it in prepaid!

Jon Geb
Wal-Mart Sucks

join:2001-01-09
Howell, MI

Re: You have no 4G

Some spots it reasonably fast, but as a whole... Verizon is putting most resources to improving 4G and they are spreading it at a rapid pace.

Review by sweyers See Profile

• Location: Grimes,Polk,IA
Good "it's better than dial-up and satellite, account is old enough to be unlimited so no overages/throttling at routine 10+ GB/month"
Bad "usb720 paired w/ kyocera kr1, drops connection all the time (sometimes several times/hr)"
Overall "only get this for everyday internet if your only other options are dial up and satellite"

well, to say the least this connection is extremely annoying, can't wait to get rid of it (we are now month to month) we are approximately 1/4 mile away from cable (mediacom) and dsl (qwest) but neither wants to actually bring service to our neighborhood of 10 houses and has remained that way for 6+ years. extremely frustrating. nonetheless, this is our best option at the moment. none of the ping issues of satellite and less congestion. the problem is this thing literally drops connection every 15 minutes sometimes with 3-4 bars of signal (4 is the most) anyway, a new subdivision is going in across the street and is bringing with it a local wireless company that i do not know much about except that they are dragging their feet actually hooking up the new service. i can't take much more of this verizon wireless bs. if it actually stayed connected it would be decent but it doesn't. PLEASE do not get this as a replacement for actual cable/dsl/fiber if you can get it, it just is not worth it.

Comments:

Review by decifal See Profile

• Location: Bon Aqua,Hickman,TN
Good "Faster than dialup"
Bad "Just barely faster"
Overall "Its okay, but in my area the towers just don't seem to be well supported.."

Its verizon wireless through a reseller, but verizon service nethertheless. There are times its faster than normal, but during the somewhat peak times its slow as hell..

member for 7.3 years, 2012 visits, last login: 3 days ago

Comments:

Review by mjscnb See Profile

• Location: Mercer,Mercer,MO
Good "Decent Speed"
Bad "Price, Limits"
Overall "Decent, but not great"

I have broadband at home, through Grand River Mutual Telephone, but it is extremely slow. so when I purchased a new netbook, I decided to get it through verizon. The service is a little pricey, but since you can basically take it anywhere, its not a terrible deal. Wish they would up the limits per month though... that's really the only bad thing I can say about it.

Comments:

Review by AlmontJohn See Profile

• Location: Almont,Lapeer,MI
Good "Cheaper than Hughes"
Bad "Frequent hangs, slow"

Performance was good a year ago, but has steadily been worse. Possibly due to more users on the local tower, since it's the only thing available in the area.

Comments:

Review by lwaltz3 See Profile

• Location: Webster,Harris,TX
Good "Was originally Ok"
Bad "In past month many disconnects, slow as molasses in the Artic"

Note that when I posted the following, it was under Verizon Broadband Access, but when I browsed the posting, the Verizon Broadband Wireless category was displayed. I saw no specific category for Verizon DSL, but did see FIOS, which is not available here. Therefore understand that it is for DSL, not wireless...

I have the 3Mbps DSL plan, having upgraded from 864Kbps, but in the past month or so, I get disconnects as often as every 6 minutes. One day, I had a hundred IP addresses. When it is connected, the rate is mostly about the speed of an ISDN. In fact, I tried dial-up and got faster bandwidth with that old connection. I also tried a 4G wireless gateway from Clear Communications, and it was 10 times the speed of the Verizon DSL. Service has gotten so bad, I will likely dump Verizon after years of satisfactory service.

Comments:

Review by youngmoore See Profile

• Location: Marietta,Cobb,GA
Good "Works perfectly fine"
Bad "no upgrade path to 4g on currect hardware"
Overall "Worth it if your a consultant on the road"

I have had the 10gig vzw Mifi for around 2 years now. I really can't complain other than

the cost. Other than that it works everywhere I go. If I tether on my Tmobile phone "HD2" I can get as high as 6meg down and that's UL since I was grand-fathered in but its not as consistent as vzw bandwidth. Meaning that if I'm downloading a file "FTP" on my vzw card it will max out at whatever that current tower will let it. Say the one by my house gives me 2.7 megs down 769 up all day long. on the road is varies but the lowest was 700kbs. The download will say if the tower will only let me get 700kbs then thats what my download will max at and stay at until its done. On my tethered phone if I'm in a 4g area its 6 megs or alittle more but jumps all over the place 6 to 2 then 3 then 1 then 6. I could live with it if I had to but when I'm on the road I actually need my phone while on net so the tethered isn't always the best solution. I'm waiting for vzw to come out with their 4g Mifi so I can upgrade.

Tmobile for phone and vzw for data. Works for me and the strange thing is as of late I have been in more places where vzw isn't and tmobile is. And 3g

Would I recommend this to someone ? Yes fully but you must understand this isn't a replacement for a T1 or DSL etc for your office or home. The low bit cap will bit you in the A*& if your not monitoring it. I moved to the 10 gig plan since I kept hitting the 5gig cap doing just normal work related stuff. VNC, Rad-admin, RDP , email and database stuff. Uploading files as well. After 5 gigs its 10 dollars per gig after that. I simply can't bring myself to pay that considering what we pay for gigbit at our data-centers. That said there is a big difference in data-center bw vs cell tower since its all back haul for them and that can get pricey fast. I think Vzw knows they can't keep the 10gig cap on the 4g since you could blow through that in hours if less. I would bet that the move to Sprints way for doing it which is UL 4g and 5 gig 3g. I think this is a better way for doing it.

For a tech or CEO, COO etc on the road this is a have to have.

member for 13.3 years, 3353 visits, last login: 2.3 years ago

Comments:

Review by reedsr12 See Profile

• Location: Terre Haute,Vigo,IN
Good "Broadband available in most major cities"
Bad "5GB cap, latency, reliability, support"
Overall "It is my only option for Broadband besides dialup"

·Avenue Broadband
I have been on Verizon BroadbandAccess for 2.5 years now. I use a Cradlepoint router and external antenna. During off peak times the speeds and latency are actually good enough to play online FPS games. On Peak times are slower than dialup, but that has only started recently.

Over the last couple of years there have been issues which boiled down to problems at the tower or with other verizon equipment. The real pain is that none of those calls are ever less than 45 minutes and they usually require me to go out to another cell tower location to prove it is not my modem.

Don't get me wrong, the service works and it is great while traveling but the low cap and high price make it a pricey venture. I will be closing my account as soon as cable is available at my house.

Comments:

Review by rakweb See Profile

• Location: Bothell,Snohomish,WA
Bad "Posted speeds are impossible to attain on a good day at best are about 200kb download"
Overall "do not buy VERIZON"

Engineering saying they are not going to fix the problem. The tower is misdirected to serve our area, this information was not provided when we contracted the service. Bad Verizon!