Coqui/PRTC page on DSLReports

Review by printscreen See Profile

• Location: Juana Diaz,Juana Diaz,PR
Good "Rock solid connection - very rarely goes down"
Bad "Pricey compared to cable Internet"
Overall "Best value if reliability is more important than speed"

·Choice Cable TV
[Note: This ISP is now called Claro Internet and they offer several options including DSL and fiber to the home in select areas. This review was for the DSL service and things have changed since then. Oct-3-2013]

I have been with this company since 2003 so ratings about install coordination and days from order does not necessarily reflect current service level.

The one thing this company has is rock solid service. While speed is not the best available and it slows down at times, generally the speed is very stable. Latencies are good enough. You could request that your line be put in "fast path" to shave some 60ms from your latencies but I don't know if they do this at present. The system uses PPPoA and you just need to plug the ethernet cable to the router provided by the company and that's it. They offer wireless routers for all but the lowest tier of service.

The other broadband alternative in this area is Choice Cable TV and currently offer faster speeds for lower prices but they are not nearly as reliable. If reliability is more important then cable is not the option.

Your mileage may vary of course! If your phone service is good and your line is clean, expect very reliable DSL. If your line is in bad condition and you get static or noise, don't expect a stable connection.

UPDATE - March 10, 2010

Things have changed since this review. While the level of service of this company remains as good as before, the competition where I live (Choice Cable TV) is offering much faster speeds for better prices, such as 6 Mbps for $41.95, same price that this company STILL offers 1 Mbps.

UPDATE 2 - Sept 1, 2010

The competition increased speeds again. Lowest tier is 6 Mbps for 25.95. Old 6 Mbps tier is now 10 Mbps for $43.95 and top tier goes to 20 Mbps.

member for 10.9 years, 3085 visits, last login: a few hours ago
updated 1 year ago

Comments:

Review by bmwguy28312 See Profile

• Location: San Juan,San Juan,PR
Good "fast shipping of modem, lower rate when you bundle, no caps 5.0 down and 512 up"
Bad "slow, horrible latency, horrible tech support, long hold times"
Overall "i am totally against caps so i went with DMAX from PRTC instead of One Link Commnications"

If you do not mind cable internet or a 40GB cap then go with one link communications. I chose DMAX from Puerto Rico Telephone because they do not impose caps. Ordering the service was very fast and easy and we received our modem/wireless router very quickly. After connecting the modem everything went great for a few days, latency and speed were not an issue. It could be the older wiring in my home and interference but it took quite a few days for the problems to begin. The modem began dropping the connection and would take forever to reconnect, then the speeds began to drop and stay around 2Mb and the latency would shoot up to around 250ms. After a few calls to them they finally opened a ticket and said the problem would be fixed with 24 to 48 hours. In about 24 hours my stability came back and my speeds leveled off about 3Mb but latency was still bad. I am still calling them and staying on hold for almost an hour to speak to techs who have no idea what they are doing and are convinced that all the problems are from my end. Will update when i get through to them!

Comments:

Review by freditoj See Profile

• Location: Ponce,Ponce,PR
Good "Very stable connection, virtually no downtime."
Bad "Price per kbps is high."
Overall "Good stable connection, better than cable (choicecable)."

512/256, it's definitely slower than Choicecable at 1500kbps/512. Still I prefer DMAX because it's a very stable connection and doesn't slow down in the evenings.

member for 12.8 years, 1123 visits, last login: 4.3 years ago

Comments:

Review by prpilot See Profile

• Location: Aguadilla,Aguadilla,PR
Bad "Horrible Customer Service, lousy internet service"
Overall "Go anywhere else you can for internet"

I have had DMAX from Coqui.net for almost 3 years now. It is the only DSL available where I live, and it is pathetic. My internet service is spotty at best. Every time the power goes out in my area, which is several times per week, I have terrible internet service afterwards. I have had more than 35 open service tickets, and have had technicians come to my house more than 10 times. The problem apparently is the connection at the junction near my house. The signal gain is set too high by default, and so the connection drops every two minutes. I must call the support hotline, and wait an average of more than 30 minutes on hold, to get someone to reset the gain to lower levels so the connection becomes more stable. I have spent hours upon hours trying to speak to someone at the help desk who can figure out why this cannot be resolved, and still do not have an answer. I have been put on hold for over an hour countless times, and have finally hung up. I have asked for a supervisor and been told to hold, only to have the phone ring and ring and ring and no one ever picks up the line.

This is the most horrible internet service provider I have ever heard of.