Sky Broadband page on DSLReports

Review by mhusen See Profile

• Location: london
  • Telco party @link
Good "Cheap & Fast"
Bad "Frequent Disconnections, Speed not as fast as advertised"
Overall "Good Value for Money"

Previously, on NTL(now Virgin) Cable 4MB @$50/pm.- good constant connection.
Now Sky BB 16MB ADSL @$10/pm.
28 days waiting for installation, installed as scheduled
Free Wireless Router/Modem Netgear DG834GT/Sky plus Free 12months Mcfee anti-virus supplied with installation.
No proper internal line tests conducted nor any "tweak" specs provided to get the most from the package. Support service via e-mail, which is very slow or Phone @ 20cents/min charge & could be waiting on phone line before speaking to someone.
If disconnection problems can be cured & if you are not too far from the local BT exchange (say within 1-1.5 miles) then it is the best value for money package in the UK

Comments:

Review by baz23 See Profile

• Location: UK
Good "Very good value (if you're a Sky subscriber)"
Bad "Frequent outages, 3.5Megs at best (up to 8Megs promised)"
Overall "New installation - if can solve outages issue, good value"

I switched from Utilities Warehouse, an ADSL provider, after having switched away from cable co Virgin Media because too expensive (£18/m i.e. $36/m).

If you're already a Sky subscriber, you get the Mid package for £5/m ($10) plus a free Sky-branded Netgear router.

All the equipment was sent to me, and on time - no problems with any of the ordering process at all. I installed it myself with no trouble, except Sky insist on WDA encryption, which two of the older network wireless cards in my household are unable to support. Fortunately, I knew enough to disable WDA by accessing the router admin page, and will re-enable when I get two new wireless cards from them.

My problem is that I am having frequent outages for no apparent reason. I am keeping a record using your site's monitor, and will contact tech support to see what they can do once I feel I have a detailed record to present to them. I have a feeling that the outages are related to the connection speed. They reduced to nil temporarily when the connection speed fell to 2.5Megs, but have become very frequent now that I'm running at 3.5Megs. It could be that they're still 'training' my connection to see what speed works best.

Comments:

Review by fisherd See Profile

• Location: uk
Good "Quick, cheap"
Bad "What is customer service, portal doesn't work"
Overall "OK if you don't need help"

Sky broadband is a UK LLU ADSL provider not a wireless provider.
It is also owned by Sky TV the UKs biggest(only?) satellite broadcaster

The free Netgear 834 router works OK.
It uses a dynamic IP but doesn't enforce frequent changes.

I get 15M for £10pm ($18) which is cheap in the UK.

member for 13.4 years, 182 visits, last login: 4.6 years ago