Sprint Mobile Broadband page on DSLReports

Review by chris92 See Profile

• Location: Coal Valley,Rock Island,IL
Good "Speeds have gotten better now with Network Vision"
Bad "Speeds from about 4 years ago to 1 year ago were dismal"
Overall "I'm probably the last person on the Unlimited 3G Plan, but its been great!"

·Clear Wireless
·Mediacom
Starting out about 6 years ago, We decided to go with a Sprint 3G card for our home internet. We live about 3 miles south of town where Cable and DSL does not service. One WISP was available, but only offering 512K for $80. After seeing that Verizon was going to a tiered data plan for data cards, our only choice was Sprint 3G.

At my location, there are 2 possible Sprint towers: one that is in town (Coal Valley, IL) that's about 4 miles (as the crow flies) with a few lines of trees blocking, and the other (3 miles south of Milan, IL) is about 6 miles as the crow flies line-of-sight that is out in the middle of nowhere. When we first were using the card, we were going off of the tower that was 6 miles away. After about 2 years, things started to slow down, and that tower became virtually unusable - speeds were sub-300k. After finding a good spot to pick up the Coal Valley tower, speeds were just under 1Mbit for a couple years, with the help of a directional antenna.

This past year, Sprint has undergone Network Vision Upgrades in the area, and the tower south of Milan IL was upgraded. Since then I am getting around 2Mbit down with the directional antenna.

Tech Support: a few times during the 6 years, I have had troubles with modems, particularly the Franklin U600. Tech support in the Sprint store is absolute garbage. I was arguing with them every time I walked in. Tech support over the phone was great. They are US Based and very easy to work with.

member for 5.5 years, 308 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Jackarino See Profile

• Location: Allendale,Bergen,NJ
Good "Fast LTE (where found), Price, Unlimited Data "
Bad "Consistency, 3G"
Overall "Okay when near cell tower"

Sprint service is ok, it certainly has improved over the years. We switched over from Verizon mainly because of the price and the fact that Sprint offers unlimited data.

LTE isn't rolled out nationwide yet, but its coming. I have connected a few times and the speed is really good. The 3G is very solo typically under 1MB but this is supposed to improve with Sprint's infamous Network Vision.

As long as you are in a suburban/city area, your service will be good. If you are further away from a city area, your service will not be that great.

member for 7.3 years, 1741 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by bobjohnson See Profile

• Location: Titusville,Brevard,FL
Good "As good and reliable as you can get..."
Bad "Fla thunderstorms slow it down"
Overall "Good value for mobile broadband"

·T-Mobile US
I almost went with Cingular Wireless until the store rep couldn't get it to work in the store... I originally had the phone as a modem plan and used bluetooth to my laptop but Sprint sent me an advertisement that they would give me a wireless card for free and a router for 39.99 so I took it... I ordered the service throught B2B sales with the offer number from the ad. They billed everything to me (no upfront cost) and guaranteed me next day shipping which they held up, i got it the next day at like 11 a.m. They sent me a Novatel Merlin EX720, the Sprint Portable Router and the expresscard adapter for a grand total of about $55. Everything has been good so far and everything functions as advertised and I have no problem with coverage in this area.. So it's all good...

Update 2-10-2012

I have had Sprint service with a bunch of different devices over the years but I have settled on the motorola photon 4g. This phone is the definition of awesome and I really enjoy it more than anything else i've had and would recommend it to anyone. When I went to the Bahamas I bought a BTC Sim card and put it in, switched to gsm only and didn't have to pay the $3 per minute for Sprint roaming. I didn't have to call in or unlock it or anything. Anyhow, because of the aforementioned motorola I have signed a new contract with Sprint after not having one for 3 years on an old Nationwide Plan. The new plans are way better also. Almost unlimited phone mins (1500 shared with unlimited any mobile) and unltd text and data w/ me and the wife for 149.99 with the androids. About $50 cheaper than verizon for the same thing almost... The coverage around here has stayed the same for the past 10 years, but that's not really a bad thing bc it's not too bad. Now in this area in our little roaming pockets we are roaming on Metro PCS which I don't like too much but at least it's included in the plans. In the areas with good service though, the call quality, data quality/speed and overall reliability has gotten way better in the past year or so. Got the 5gb hotspot plan for $30 for internet instead of the usb dongle for $60 that I had. I don't use but about 1 gig a month so it's a good deal for me. Overall it's a good service for the money and in this area the only thing comparable is T-mobile and they are nowhere near as good. I would recommend Sprint to anyone.

Update 11-1-12

Bought the SGS3 but got rid of the hotspot plan because no LTE. Now tethering with my T-Mobile business phone instead. Network vision is not really in effect here yet but a couple of towers in the area have been updated and the difference in 3g speeds are night and day from old setup. Same with voice quality (Way better in certain places). Seems like they are on the right path but this has certainly been a long ride for those of us who have stuck around.

Comments:

Review by keason See Profile

• Location: Ann Arbor,Washtenaw,MI
Good "Backup 3G internet connection"
Bad "Speed has deteriorated during the last 6 mo"
Overall "Works OK sometimes, almost unusable other times"

·Comcast Business..
Update 12/1/11 : The connection has been horrible over the last 6 months, getting 0.10M down, 0.3-0.4 up. Latency typically exceeded 400ms I dropped the static IP and speeds improved close to 0.5 down and 0.5 up, with latency under 200ms. Other areas in SE Michigan where I travel are horrible - 0.1/0.1 with 1 sec latency. Even with 'unlimited' data , I would not recommend Sprint until they fix the tower backhaul problems.

Update: Speeds are steady on weekdays, about 800/500, but drop to 500/300 on the weekends. Latency has dropped to about 125ms after adding a 14dBM antenna. I'm still waiting for a tower upgrade.

Update: Sprint continues to perform admirably. On a recent road trip along I-90 and I-94 from Detroit to the Dakotas, the unit worked very well from Detroit to Minnesota. Performance in the Dakotas was mixed with good speed (1 Mb+) but variable (200ms- Rapid City, 800ms- Dickinson) as if the towers used satellites instead of T1's. Back in Minneapolis, Sprint outperformed hotel internet with 1/500 speed and 120ms latency)

I've been able to use VoIP fairly well on the Sprint connection with both Skype and SIP working OK.

I purchased a Sprint approved Telular EVDO/phone device as a backup internet & phone connection and for testing. It uses a Sierra wireless EVDO rev A chipset with diversity antennas and has a built-in extended life battery (about 8 hrs). Despite having a green (strong) signal on the Sprint maps, I average around -93dbM with an indoor 5db gain antenna and speed tests ranging from 400-700 down and 200-400 up. Ping times range from about 200-300ms (average is closer to 200ms) with occasional jumps to 500ms. I've ordered a stronger YAGI antenna to try to increase the signal strength, which I hope will correct the jitter issue.

The device also supports phone calls, which work well. SMS is not supported, which would be a nice addition.

I had some initial problems with the device, but a firmware update made it much more usable and reliable. It now passes the public IP to my router via DHCP or with a manual entry. Sprint offers a static IP for only a $3 upcharge, which is a great value.

On several recent trips on the I-94 corridor between Detroit and Chicago performance was flawless. My passengers played WOW and other games with no interruptions. On a trip from Atlanta to Toledo along I-75, we experienced brief drops in coverage through the Smokey mountains.

VoIP works pretty well over the connection with only mild jitter. I've used skype and voicepulse with the G.711 codec which is pretty clear.

So far, the maximum speed is around 1500/400. I have yet to experience a faster tower. A bonus is that Sprint does not block any inbound or outbound ports. Sprint even includes a reverse DNS record (which says Sprint) but is seems to be sufficient for mail servers which require a reverse record.

The connection works as advertised. I wouldn't recommend it for a primary connection vs. DSL or cable because of speed, but it makes a great mobile & backup connection. Sprint, in combination with a cheaper internet connection makes a good alternative to T1 access.

Update: It appears that Sprint broadcasts voice/1X and EVDO signals on (in my area, at least) different frequencies and/or different antennas (based on different signal strengths). I was able to use a Windows mobile phone in debug mode to optimize the antenna placement for EVDO, upgraded to a 9dB omni antenna (still indoor), and along with a Sprint Airrave unit (which took care of the poor voice/1X signal), I now get perfect voice and much, much better (-78 dBM) EVDO signal. Ping times have dropped to 150-200ms and are much more consistent, and speeds average about 950/450. The static IP works perfectly, (I was able to send and receive email with no interruptions after modifying the MX records), and reverse DNS works perfectly too. I had a 2 hour internet outage on my primary ISP where my router automatically failed-over to sprint, and apart from a degradation in streaming video and slow transfer speeds, the Sprint connection was almost indistinguishable from low speed DSL.

Comments:

Review by Rush8112 See Profile

• Location: Altoona,Polk,IA
Good "Service"
Overall "Good Service and phones"

I Have A Blackberry Curve 9330 on the Sprint Unlimited Everything Plan and I Been Happy with them so far as of June 2011

Comments:

Review by tcdrennen See Profile

• Location: Tustin,Orange,CA
Good "4G as good as or better than WiFi, 3G stable and reliable"
Bad "4G connection drops unexpectedly in some areas"
Overall "Good bang for buck"

Waited for 4G WiMax service in LA area. Very satisfied though we are on the edge of the coverage (Orange County.) 3G coverage everywhere the phone works, which is everywhere we need it.
(2) HTC EVO 4G Unlimted Everything Family Data plan

Comments:

Review by Soteria See Profile

• Location: Bedford,Tarrant,TX
Good "4G - fast"
Bad "drops connection all the time; battery overheats"
Overall "Going back to AT&T DSL"

Have had Sprint Overdrive for 7+ months and had initial horrible speeds (slower than dial up). Seems this was due to a problem with the 4G& 3G tower in my area. Eventually (3mo) speed problem corrected but the dropped connections continue after changing units & after 3 new batteries so cancelling the broadband service. As someone else as written, it's great when it works but there are severe problems with the connection.

member for 11.2 years, 646 visits, last login: 2.6 years ago

Comments:

Review by jandrfas See Profile

• Location: Downey,Los Angeles,CA
Good "Great speed and reliability"
Bad "Long wait for phone support"
Overall "Very satisfied. Great alternative to my slow DSL"

Frustrated with my slow Earthlink DSL (1.5 down/0.5 up with frequent outages), I was searching for a better alternative. I tried Sprint 4G knowing that I could "test drive" for 30 days before committing to a 2-year contract. The U1901 modem was very easy to install, but had trouble initially getting online. After spending 45 minutes on hold to talk to tech support, it turned out that they had just forgotten to activate my device's MAC address on their network. The modem has remained continuously connected ever since - not a single outage after being installed for a full month. I am now DSL-free and using this as my primary connection. Getting speeds around 6.0 down/1.25 up routinely.

My only minor complaint is the high latency. Ping times run around 85 - 100 ms. Also, the modem is very tempermental in terms of physical placement. You really have to experiment to find that one hot spot in your home (I am using a Cradlepoint MBR-1000 router). A difference of a couple of inches one way or another makes a huge difference. I also discovered that plugging the USB modem directly into the router caused issues - the two radios were interfering with each other and severely affecting the speeds. The problem was easily solved by installing the modem at the end of a 5-foot USB extension cable to get it away from the router's antennas.

I also discovered through some simple experimenting that I can double my download speed and cut the ping times in half by taking the modem outdoors, just outside my front door. I am now in the process of installing an external antenna and looking forward to 10-12 download speeds with 40 ms ping times.

Comments:

Review by squirrel83 See Profile

• Location: Astoria,Queens,NY
Good "Tether Service Threw Virgin Mobile for 25.00 a month."
Bad "Slow at times, NOT recommended for regular use. ROOTED PHONE!"
Overall "This is a great backup option if you need internet where you have none. Virgin Mobile."

I am using the LG Optimus V(virgin mobile) Android phone. I pay 25.00 a month for unlimited texting, internet, and 350 talk minutes. Virgin Mobile uses sprints 3g network. I have the phone Tethered to my Netbook. I have considered Sprints 4g Clear network but found it to be to expensive and not worth the amount if I am unable to download torrents without issue. I have also looked into Verizon 4g lte network and found it too expensive for what is offered. Regardless these other options I believe this is simply great feature.

On the phone I have speed test records up to 3.20 Mbps download and 0.82 Mbps upload depending on the tower/area I am on.

I do recommend you only use this tether feature if you simply need basic internet use and are not downloading anything, JUST IN CASE. I do not like to abuse/raise flags to the feature while it is available. This feature is not NATIVE to the Virgin Mobile model of the phone so you must download an app to enable the wifi Hotspot/tethering. I use superbox, simply install --->Open --> under battery saver open settings ---> then turn on wifi hotspot, -->configure and wallla you are set free.

Comments:

Review by LimoMan See Profile

• Location: Eatontown,Monmouth,NJ

Better than even Verizon in my area!