Comcast Digital Voice page on DSLReports

Review by fatmanskinny See Profile

• Location: Atlanta,Fulton,GA
Good "Good quality, tons of features."
Bad "Price moving up near AT&T landline service"
Overall "See ya, Xfinity Voice!"

·Vonage
UPDATE: 2/172014: About a year ago, I dropped Xfinity Voice and moved over to a $9.99 Vonage unlimited plan. Xfinity Voice was quickly moving up in cost towards what I would have been paying for an AT&T landline. Since I don't use my home phone much, Vonage makes perfect sense. It is good enough for my needs. I am glad I dropped Xfinity Voice.

UPDATE: 12/24/2011: I am still a Comcast Xfinity Voice customer. Outages are rare, it continues to work with my alarm system and it works. The price has increased a little bit but I am still a happy camper.

UPDATE: 11/15/2009: Comcast Voice is still moving along fairly well. Of course, you have the rare cable outages which affect everything. That is to be expected. Thank God they are usually short and infrequent.

I noticed that the cost is going up a bit so I may consider doing a trial with a VOIP service like Vonage.

UPDATE: 11/15/2009:

Voice service is still pretty solid. I am still a happy camper.

UPDATE: 5/6/2009

I am on a bundled special now for a triple play. The phone service is still rock solid and I love the fact I can fax over it with such ease.

Outages are rare and I must say that they usually last for a brief moment. Overall, I am happy with the service and glad I made the switch for the super-expensive telco option.

I've had Comcast Voice for some months now and feel I am ready to review it so here we go:

BEGINNING OF PROCESS:

I was paying $70+ a month for AT&T unlimited local & long distance. By having that disease funds-are-low, I needed to find ways to cut expenses.

I checked out Comcast to see if DV was in my area. It was and they offered a 1-year promotion for $19.95 a month plus $3 for the EMTA / modem box. Cool. So I called Comcast to get the ball rolling. Then, we ran into a snag (expected with Comcast, of course!).

Comcast said they would have problems transferring the AT&T number over because the AT&T account was in my name and the Comcast account is in my wife's name. So, Comcast suggested that we work on getting the account information updated at AT&T to reflect my wife's name.

We called AT&T. They had to run a credit check on my wife and I believe they said it would be a charge for it. We decided to just leave it as it is and go back to Comcast.

We called Comcast again. They said we could try going in person to a Comcast office and changing the Comcast account name to match up with my information. They couldn't make changes over the phone.

We took a trip to a CC office. The agent that assisted said he could not change the account info without closing down the account and we would lose any promotions we have on the account. Great! More time wasted.

Sooooo, we called Comcast back again and got another representative. This young lady told us "it rarely happens where the number cannot be ported and that is on AT&T's side but we usually get it ported over if address information match up." Great. I am happy I reached someone who knew what they were talking about but, dang, did it have to take numerous phone calls and a trip to Comcast's office?

Ok, we got the number ported and received an install date.

On installation day, the tech that came out was very professional and wired up our phone outlets so the EMTA would light up all of the outlets. He also rewired our home alarm system to work over Digital Voice. He confirmed dial tone and we were able to place and receive calls.

**** AROUND 7/1/2008: ****

We had a technical issue and called Comcast about it. The issue was that calls coming in sounded distorted but the person who called heard us fine.

We called Comcast to do some standard troubleshooting and they said they will send out a tech. Then, they called us back on the CDV line and claim they left a voicemail because we were actually having an outage. A question comes to mind: If I am having voice issues where I cannot hear callers' voices clearly, how would I be able to understand a message from Comcast left at my CDV number??

So, this resulted in me taking time off of work and sitting through a cancelled appointment. When I called Comcast about it, they said "we left a message for you". Again, how can I understand the message if my issue would not let me hear incoming voice well?

Anyway, the phone line issue cleared up but during some recommended troubleshooting from a CDV user on DSLReports, I tried taking the backup battery out. Guess what? There wasn't a backup battery in the EMTA. It wasn't installed with one. Great!

Battle number two: Getting Comcast out to deliver a backup battery. They missed the first appointment and then after I called them and laid into them a bit, we got someone to deliver and install it a couple of days later.

Bottom line: It is a great service and has a ton of useful calling features including being able to fax via CDV. The bad part as always with Comcast is dealing with their Customer Service department. It is terrible. I cringe everytime I have to call them because they just plain out suck.

member for 10.6 years, 2652 visits, last login: 149 days ago

Comments:

Review by mikedz4 See Profile

• Location: Weirton,Hancock,WV
Good "comes with unlimited long distance,all call features,voice mail"
Bad "too expensive"
Overall "Seems more stable but too expensive still"

Is more stable now than before. Need to lower pice some though.

member for 11.3 years, 4895 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by robscullion See Profile

• Location: Philadelphia,Philadelphia,PA
Good "Good sound quality & reliability (assuming cable is OK)"
Bad "Way too expensive once promo rate expires & forces CDV rental & tech install"
Overall "Investigate other VoIP offerings"

December 23rd, 2009

Having moved to Comcast HSI in May, I decided to try their Digital Voice offering in August at the promotional rate of $19.99/month for six months. I was disappointed to find that, in addition to the expected delay due to LNP porting, I'd also have to wait for a tech to come out and install the modem. I'm not clear on why I couldn't just pick a modem up at the local service center since I already have HSI, but that's the way it is. There's also the issue of being forced to rent the CDV. If there's no way to avoid the CDV rental with Digital Voice, IMHO that cost should be reflected in the monthly price.

Once the service was installed, it ran fine with one exception which I've noted in my Comcast HSI review. In the end, Digital Voice is a solid product but it can never be more reliable than the cable plant allows. Once our physical cable issues were resolved, I found Digital Voice to be rock solid, with perfect audio quality and zero downtime.

Unfortunately, staring down the barrel of a $15 rate hike at the end of the promo period has lead me to look into other, non-Comcast, VoIP products. Currently, we're evaluating Callcentric. If all goes well, I'll be porting my number over before the CDV promo price expires and should save around $35/month ($30/month service price diff + $5 modem rental).

Digital Voice is a great alternative to a fully blinged out Verizon POTS line, but in the era of sub-$10/month VoIP products it's really hard to justify the extra $'s.

January 9th, 2010

Just to clarify, my expected savings of $35/month for moving from CDV to Callcentric is based upon the $40/month base price of CDV + the $5/month modem rental. I have my own modem for HSI, so I can drop the rental modem entirely once I leave CDV. Since I expect Callcentric to be $10 or less/month, I'll end up saving $35+ per month by leaving CDV.

January 19th, 2010

My involvement with CDV ended today with the port of my # to Callcentric. It was a bit of a bumpy ride getting my service moved back to my own CM100. Evidently, the port-out caused Comcast to schedule a tech visit on the 28th of January. This scheduled visit seemed to provide much consternation to almost all the Comcast reps I spoke with, one of them even citing it as an FCC requirement that could not be cancelled due to legal reasons. This existing service call seemed to prevent anyone from provisioning a new modem until after the visit had taken place.

Luckily, I was fifth time lucky and was finally put in touch with a CDV rep who provisioned my Linksys modem, allowing me to return the Comcast modem on my own time and thus skipping the trouble of being home for the tech. The automated system still tells me I have a tech visit scheduled, but I've been assured by multiple reps that no one is going to be coming out.

All it all, I think CDV was a good service. Too expensive for what you get but still a good service. Even though I was less than thrilled with the confusion the port-out caused with regard to getting my CM100 provisioned, I suppose it's not a case most reps have handled. It helped a lot that everyone I spoke with was genuinely courteous and really tried to help vs just following policy etc. And, as with most prior Comcast customer service experiences I had, it was just a matter of being patient enough to find the person who knew what to do.

Comments:

Review by mogulman See Profile

• Location: Parker,Douglas,CO
Good "Reliable"
Bad "Lack of features, Expensive"
Overall "Not worth the money unless you need it for bundling."

I switched one of my phone lines from Viatalk to Comcast a few months ago, because it saved me money with the bundled service on my internet service. My company stopped reimbursing for internet service, so this helped me reduce my payments. If it wasn't for that, I wouldn't have switched. The Comcast phone service is very expensive compared to other service. The features are lacking also. I had more features about 10 years ago with our local land line provider, Qwest.

The only thing going for Comcast is the bundled pricing and reliability. It is way more reliable then my Vonage or Viatalk that I've had in the past. Even with that, though, I wouldn't keep service without the bundling.

6/2009

Thought I'd post a followup. I cancelled Comcast service a few months ago. The call quality was really great. Features and customer service were non-existant. I'd recommend Comcast phone service for bundling or if you need basic phone service without many features.

member for 11.9 years, 2124 visits, last login: 161 days ago

Comments:

Review by SteveKinn See Profile

• Location: Bloomfield,Essex,NJ
Good "No outages - battery backup allows calls during brief outages"
Bad "Customer service poor - Digital Voice Center the worst - Poor feature mix."
Overall "Many better services to choose from - High price for poor feature set."

I have had Comcast digital voice for over a year now. I switched to them from SunRocket (a service I loved). The service is not worth the price. Call quality is good, but not better then my previous provider. I have only had one outage. Which was storm related. Customer service is the worse. Not only does it take 10 minutes just to get to the part where you can talk to a human being, but when you do most of the time they can't help, and a serve call is necessary (of course, that way they can charge you). When you do, don't expect to see them anytime soon. Plan to wait 5 days to a week.

The feature list is poor. You get caller id with name, voice mail, and call forwarding to one number. That’s it. When you listen to messages from the phone, you can not delete them until the messages finish playing. So if you like to save messages for a time as I do you are forced to listen to each message in it’s entirety.

The worst part of the system is the Digital Voice Center. Not only does it take 60 seconds to load (when it is working, which in my experience has only been 1/2 the time), but it misses calls entirely. I received a call at 9AM that rang 6 times on my phone, and did not appear anywhere in the system.

I have been a digital voice customer for over a year, and the following message has been on the web page for all that time.

"Calls that go to voice mail may show up as "Answered" instead of "Missed". Actual voice mail records are unaffected."

Also a source of great frustration is the handling of voice messages online. When someone leaves a message, you receive an email. Click on the link in the email and you are taken to the sign in page. You then have to type your phone number and password. There is a check box that says you can remain signed in for two weeks, but that doesn't work either. Then you are taken to the digital voice center where you have to click through 2 more times to get to the message. When you finally get to the message, you click on it and wait, and wait, and wait, and wait while the message is retrieved.

So now maybe you would like to download the message to save it. Good luck, there is no download option. If you have the patience you can email the message, which requires you to type in you own email as the sender and receiver. Now isn't that convenient!

Bottom line, my year contract is up I’ll be switching to Vonage; and when FIOS moves to my neighborhood later this year I be switching entirely.

Comments:

Review by SteveKinn See Profile

• Location: Bloomfield,Essex,NJ
Good "Call Clarity - Up time"
Bad "Customer Service, Weak Features, Digital Call Center, Value all very poor."
Overall "I'm switching to Verizon Fios 1st chance I get."

At Comcast Digital voice for about three months now. I switched over from SunRocket which prior to their demise was great. SunRocket had a great interactive website and a far superior feature set.

It took me 10 days to get an appointment to install the phone. When the tech got here he started to disconnect the modem I have purchased. He said I would have to rent the combination phone device/modem. I said I wanted to keep my existing modem, and complained that that wasn't part of the deal when I spoke to the rep at the office. He relented and put a splitter on the line.

I had major problems porting my line over from SunRocket, the tech from Comcast insisted that the number was ported over properly but I still received some calls to my SunRocket gizmo or not at all. Eventually I tracked down the problem myself, by calling Global Crossing, from whom SunRocket had leased the phone number. Global Crossing was very helpful, even went so far as to call Comcast on my behalf, since Comcast refused to call Global Crossing. Long story short after several hours on the phone, and about 10 days I managed to get my phone number ported over.

My biggest problem with Comcast, outside of them constantly pointing to someone else whenever there's a problem is that the website called the Digital Voice Center is terrible. When it works, which in my experience is only been about 50% of the time, it takes over a minute to load, and accessing a voice message takes several clicks on another minute or so. I find it frustrating that they can just e-mail me the voice message when it's received.

The feature set for Comcast is extremely basic not nearly on a par with other VOIP providers. I considered switching to Vonage, but in view of all the lawsuits and patent infringements I was concerned that they would not be around for the long haul, and after my experience was SunRocket I needed something that was dependable.

Overall I got a phone that works, but offers me little more than I could get if I went with a landline and only a moderate decrease in price.

Comments:

Review by weaselweaz See Profile

• Location: Arlington,Arlington,VA
Good "Low price for unlimited calls and features, especially when buying cable and internet."
Bad "No phone service on Saturdays, horrible customer service, horrible tech support"
Overall "Not worth the stress or lack of Saturdays. Always ask a rep for a SIM number."

Comcast seems like a great option until you actually get it. Out of three weeks of service my phone was unusable four days: Three Saturdays from 2pm until Sunday morning and one Wedensday. I could make or receive calls but nobody could hear me and voicemail systems couldn't "hear" my keypad. Techs and customer service could never identify the problem, nor did they want to. Customer service reps and supervisors could claim to follow up or they would return calls, however they never did and most would close tickets on my account without issues being resolved or even leaving their names. Field techs would give conflicting reports when they went to my apt and would say that they were scheduling follow-ups at the main box for the building, however they would note it to my account and forget to schedule the appointment. They also misrepresented the ability to use a normal wall outlet for phone, claiming they worked like any other phone company when I actually had to plug directly into the modem because I didn't have both lines on the same wall.

One major thing I learned was always as for their SIM Number. This is a way to retrace the employee you spoke with. This is different then an employee ID, which they claim doesn't exist, and their phone extension, which can only be traced if you get a rep on the same floor of the office you spoke to them at and even then if you're very lucky. They will also claim that there is no way to get a list of credits or your billing rates but if you go to a local office they will do a print-out.

I got lucky. I had such a long ticket history, including refunds that were never entered, that that I was able to get activation refunded and the other $33 prices for TV and internet locked to my account. Although spent 6 hours that month just on my cellphone trying to get service repaired. Luckily, Verizon Wireless had free nights and weekends and much better service.