Comcast Digital Voice page on DSLReports

Review by Chris 313 See Profile

• Location: Houma,Terrebonne,LA
Good "Calls are crystal clear, no hiss in the background, no reseting everytime you lose power. No sucking of internet bandwith."
Bad "Power to the system can sometimes go out preventing you from making calls even though you have a battery back up. Price"
Overall "Left CDV for Vonage over price. I'd still recommend them to anyone looking to dump regular POTS service."

·Vonage
As far back as I can remember, I started with a phone company called South Central Bell. Years later it turned into BellSouth and there we were were with 3 phone numbers over 18 years and a 4th when I got my VOIP service.

CDV reads as my 5th phone number in all the time I've had phone service. Hopefully, this one will stay for a good long time.

Back in January 2004, I jumped on the Broadband bandwagon with Time Warner Cable's RoadRunner service when I moved into my new house. I loved the speed, but we still had plain old POS POTS service from BellSouth. After paying to have the place wired to our specs and the number we had for several years prior transfered, a botched jack install in my bedroom was the last straw. I was sick of paying so much every month for so little.

(We had local and long distance calling and Caller ID in this package for 88 plus taxes a month.)

After the botched install and getting that fixed, I decided to dump BellSouth and check into VOIP services like Vonage, using my broadband connection to make calls for cheaper. 35 bucks vs 88+ really is a no brainer.

After checking into Vonage and them failing the test because they didn't have my area code when I went to sign up, I checked into a rival service of their's called AT&T CallVantage. They had my area code and was 32.43 a month.

I jumped on eagerly, even though I had to lose the phone number I had for at least 5 years.

After a bit of a false start, I got up and running with the service a month later and used it through price drops and great service for almost 4 years. But rising prices through bogus fees, sapping of my bandwith during calls, the occasional 911 call where I had to tell them where I was, and most annoying of all: Having to reset the damned VOIP box whenever power or net hiccuped in the slightest, drove me to look into alternatives like Vonage again, or a service my cable company was offering: Comcast Digital Voice.

After going to Comcast on 6/13/08 and checking into it. The deal was sealed when I talked my way into a Triple Play Premier deal with phone, internet and TV all in one package with a few extras like DVR and faster internet added in at a decent price.

Before I left, I had a new, unlisted phone number and an install date of 6/30/08 from 2-5 pm with most of the CDV install charges waved.

That brings up to today: 6/30/08

Today at 2:10 PM a Comcast truck pulls up to my house, I see two people inside just yaking. They looked like they were finishing lunch, and since I had a window of 2-5 PM, I didn't begrudge them an extra 5 minutes. As they walked up to my house, I saw them looking under my carport and heard them saying something about a telephone box.

Back when I moved into this house in late 2006, the house had been remodeled several months prior, leading to telephone and cable wiring being ripped out. I had the cable custom re-ran and didn't even bother with the telephone wire as it wasn't needed since I had Cable and VOIP.

As they walked up, they introduced themselves as Blair (Dressed in a Comcast shirt and gear.) and Dustin (Dressed casually. I think he was in training, but, eh.) I told them there was no box and that my phone would plug straight into the modem. They said great as that would make their jobs a whole lot easier.

After they got inside, they told me they were going to swap out my trusty 4.5 year old internet only Motorola Surfboard 5100 for the E-MTA that does both internet and phone. I was a little weary of that as I heard certain brands and models of the E-MTA's that Comcast uses give funny internet speeds compared to regular internet only modems.

So, I told Blair about this and he looked at me funny, as if he didn't know what I was talking about, went to the truck and came back with an ARRIS Touchstone Telephony 502G E-MTA. As soon as I saw it, I told him that I'd like to keep my Motorola 5100 for the internet and just use the ARRIS for the phone only. He just nodded, went back out to the truck with Dustin, grabbed a splitter and two lengths of cable, came back, screwed my main modem cable line into one end of the splitter, the two lengths of cable into the other ends and then into my modems.

They both lit up like Christmas trees. Blair and Dustin went out to the truck, did something. The Arris, which was syncing up at the moment lit up completely. They came back in, plugged my phone in, had me test it. It worked immediately with 7 digit dialing. (Yay! No more VOIP and that 10-digit dialing for locals anymore)

They had me sign the work order after I ran a speed test to confirm my Motorola was still working the internet side of things and they were off. It took from 2:15 to 2:36 PM.

I have never had such a trouble free install and two of the most pleasant and agreeable installers I have ever dealt with. These guys deserve points.

After they left, I made a few test phone calls to update my family on the new, now working number and there was no slight background hiss like when I used my AT&T CallVantage VOIP service.

I am very pleased except for the fact that I have to use one modem to get my full internet speeds and another for the phone. Until ARRIS puts out a firmware that fixes the issues on the internet Upload speed side. I will be more then happy to run the two modems.

A friend of mine has done this also and it works great for him too.

I'll update this as more info comes.

Update: 7/4/08

After 5 days of not having access to the CDV Center, I found to be able to access it today. I have also found a few detractors. One, they mis-spelled my name, both there and on my bill, they've also marked my number published when it was supposed to be unpublished both in the book and directory assistance. I'll be going to Comcast monday to fix these.

The second thing I don't like and wish they had was a phone book to list contacts and numbers and a click to call ability.

Third thing I noticed is that they don't have an online listing for speed dial that I've found, you have to program all those numbers into your phone. I'm still looking, but that's two things now that AT&T CallVantage had over my current Comcast Digital Voice service.

If anyone knows that the CDV Center has a phone book and I'm unaware of it, please leave me a comment.

Other then that, the service has been working flawlessly and I like it. I've also had a power outage. I was plugged into a UPS, but the phone still didn't miss a beat.

Other then the bits I've listed, I'm finding the service a high quality replacement and I'm liking it.

I'll update this as I get more info.

Update: 7/11/08

Two days ago, I went to Comcast, talked to a CSR named Sheila and she shorted my name and had my number unpublished. Said it'd take about two days for the changes to take place. Later that night, I found that both had happened, sooner then she said. Yay for her quick response.

I'll update when I get more.

Update: 7/13/08

Tonight, I had a disconnect on the internet side, but my phone stayed up through the whole thing. You couldn't do that with my previous AT&T CallVantage VOIP service.

I'm loving what Comcast has put together.

Update: 12/13/10

Well things are up in the air with my package as I'm dropping TV and changing a few things around, but CDV is still rocking and I don't have any plans to change at the moment. Since my last update to this review, I've got Caller ID on TV and on the computer working. Nice features if you don't wanna look at your phone to see who's calling.

Will update this review when anything happens.

Update: 12/17/10

Got CDV for a year at 19.99. It's rocking the price for sure.

Update: 7/8/11

On June 30, 2011 I celebrated my 3rd year with CDV service. I have since switched to the ARRIS E-MTA for internet as well and whatever problems speed wise that may have been had when they installed my service originally have been taken care of. I get my full 16/2 Blast! speeds and then some.

I'm happy. Now I just need Docsis 3 to get here and my modem swapped out the 25/4 upgrade to be pushed.

Though, there is one thing that has me puzzled. Sometimes when the electricity to my home goes out, I lose the phone as well, even though it's not supposed to do that and sometimes it doesn't happen. Gonna have to talk to ComcastSteve about that.

Other then that, the service works out great. And I'll be keeping it for the foreseeable future.

Update: 9/22/12

Not much to say. Service is still rock solid. Price has gone up a little more then 10 bucks over the last year or so. But I've a notice in the mail yesterday that says upgrades in speed and equipment wise are coming on or around October 1, 2012. So we'll see.

I'll update when the upgrades come.

Update: 6/8/13

Well, with this month's bill this will be my last month on the 6 month promo the CSR Devonna set me up with when setting up my D3 EMTA swap back in late December 2012. I went back and looked at one of my previous bills and saw that I was paying nearly 60 bucks for Comcast Digital Voice service. Without a promo, that's entirely too much. And with the lack of year long promo deals bothering me, I decided to look into Vonage. And so I did. By the 4th, I way signed up online, for a 3 month deal at 17.54 and 33.54 thereafter for a year's deal.

In talking to some other long time Vonage users online, I found this price won't go up more then the 33.54 I was quoted. I had an issue with payment during sign up, but a quick call to support and the very helpful CSR named Mary got me fixed up. She also told me that my number port to Vonage was in progress and I've had my equipment by Friday the 7th. The 7th came and installation was super easy and my number was there and working. I even got told about a 30 dollar Best Buy gift card I'd get for signing up for Vonage online. That'll be nice when buying my own modem not too long from now to save the 7 dollar a month rental fee.

Other then the non-promo price, I had no issues with Comcast Digital Voice and would still recommend it to anyone looking to ditch AT&T's POTS service. If anything ever goes wrong with Vonage, I'd definitely look into going back to Comcast Digital Voice.

For the almost 5 years I had the service, it just worked.

As part of my number port to Vonage, I read that after the port was complete, Vonage would have my CDV service disconnected for me, that news came when I had a power outage in the afternoon today that killed everything. My UPS gave me enough time to shut everything off before power completely ran out, but I noticed I lost connection to my EMTA that my former Comcast Digital Voice service used to provide me their phone service. The battery didn't keep the connection up this time. It won't matter much longer as I'll be buying my own modem and using my existing UPS as my batteries for things like the Vonage Box, modem and router.

When the connection came back on, I noticed that the telephone related lights, including the battery one were off. Guess they really do only supply power from the battery to power only the phone service. Regardless, Vonage seems to have kept their word that after porting my number from Comcast Digital Voice to Vonage, they would have my Comcast voice service disconnected for me. I'm glad to see them keeping their word.

It's a hell of a ride with Comcast Digital Voice while it lasted.

member for 9.7 years, 5728 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by jkj860 See Profile

• Location: Valparaiso,Porter,IN
Good "Great price, features, and call quality."
Bad "None so far."
Overall "Same quality as POTS service and less cost."

Was installed 7 day's after ordered as scheduled. Installer was quick and efficient. He made sure to test incoming and outgoing calls and explained features before leaving. They were able to use my existing phone number from Verizon so I kept the same #. This is what takes time. I would recommend them as the quality is as good as a regular landline and for me $20/month less plus no additional long distance charges for calls in the US.

No issues since install date. Performance has been rock solid and savings from land line Verizon are a huge plus.I would recommend this service to anyone that has it available to them.

Comments:

Review by Leigh See Profile

• Location: Oak Harbor,Island,WA
Good "Excellent, No Problems at all."
Bad "Phone price is good, the internet cost is what is high. 2nd service $10.00 off"
Overall "Equipment is costly if you decide not to rent. Comcast may drop a Voice modem"

I have had my Comcast internet with Voip services for over 3 years now and all has been 100%. I pay $25.00 a month with $1.50+/- in taxes added to that, with Comcast you also get a $10.00 discount for a second service, so you can say I pay $10.00 less to that making it only 15.00 a month. They have one service above this that gives you free US long distance. I pay less then a nickle a minute, also with cell phones now I really don't use it.

I rented for the first year then purchased a Modem. The voice capable modems are expensive, unless you find a used one. don't purchase one off of eBay. Check »mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/ before you make your purchase.

If you find a used one for a great price, call Comcast first and have them check the serial, a good percentage of the ones on eBay are lease modems and if you try and hook one up Comcast will not activate and they will ask you to drop it off.

Comments:

Review by beachintech See Profile

Good "Phone service works great, integrates with my alarm with no problems"
Bad "Nothing"
Overall "Great choice for phone service and bundles let you save a bit more"

Phone service works great. Have a D3 Arris emta installed with proper signal and homerun wiring. Works great with my home alarm system and phones.

Great choice over the local phone company. The bundle also allows more savings each month.

Comments:

Review by NSHPreds09 See Profile

• Location: Portland,Sumner,TN
Good "Clear voice quality, tons of calling features, and reliable"
Overall "Great phone service with a lot of perks!"

Before I got Comcast Digital Voice, I had a landline from AT&T. It was reliable but the call quality sometimes wasn't all that great. I was looking at other options for Phone and Internet in our area and decided to call Comcast to see what they had to offer. I chose the bundle with the Performance Internet Package (15 Mbps Download and 3 Mbps Upload with PowerBoost) and Comcast Digital Voice Unlimited. They told me that a technician would be out to set up everything in about a week. When the tech got here, he ran Coax from the pole to my house. He ended up having to drill a small hole in the mortar on the foundation of my house and fed the cable through the hole and then up through the floor in the room we wanted the Cable Modem to be. He set everything up and had me setup a Comcast account on a laptop he had with him. I was then ready to go! After the setup was complete, I picked up the phone to call a family member and when they answered, it was clear as day! It was like they were literally right next to you talking it was so clear! The calling features are also really nice to use and being able to check your call log and voice mails online is REALLY nice and convenient. Overall, I would recommend Comcast Digital Voice to anyone considering switching Telephone providers. It's a really great service!

Comments:

Review by Johkal See Profile

• Location: Happy Valley
Good "No shared bandwidth. Battery backup is a great feature."
Bad "A bit more expensive than VoIP providers."
Overall "No down time or quality issues."

2/2/2011: At some point last year I down-graded my service to the "Local With More" which is $24.95. Service has been rock solid with no down time or quality issues.

10/8/2009: Very smooth installation. The Tech set me up with the Arris TM602G EMTA just for CDV, while my own Linksys BEFCMU10 v4 modem supplies the internet. Even though my signal levels were excellent, he still replaced the 2-way & 3-way splitters with a 6-way, while adding a new 2-way at point of use for the two modems. My levels remained excellent and my TV reception improved as well. This was all done while I was at work and to my surprise, he even connected my router and switch box ,making sure my network was functioning wired & wireless.

member for 11.4 years, 5513 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by daparker See Profile

• Location: Manteca,San Joaquin,CA
Good "Good Call Quality, Mobile App"
Bad "Some Issues, Lag"
Overall "Good value initially, later not so much?"

We've been using the Comcast VoIP option for about 6 months, bundled with Internet service. The call quality is good and I really like the Xfinity app for the iPhone. There is sometimes a very small delay in making calls, but it's almost unnoticeable at this point. This was our first VoIP attempt and I am impressed.

I did have an issue where they had to "reset" my account because I was not able to get my voicemails on the mobile app, but a quick online chat got it resolved. Order and install was fine with no problems. We've had no drop in call service.

We really don't like that you can't delete a message without listening to the whole thing of fast forwarding to the end.

Comments:

Review by reelbigfish See Profile

• Location: Cambridge,Middlesex,MA
Good "Clear Call Quality, Easy to use, good voicemail"
Bad "None so far"
Overall "Great POTS replacement, recommend to all who can get it!"

I had Comcast Digital Voice installed along with my cable and internet. So far things are going quite well. I'm liking the Arris modem for both. Reduces clutter versus having another box for a 3rd part VoIP provider. The call quality is clear. I was on for an hour during a conference call and everything went well. No one complained about the quality and I could hear everyone just fine. The unlimited calling is nice and the voice mail is quite easy to setup and use. I will surely update once I have spent more time with the product. I would highly recommend trying it out if it is available in your area.

---------------------------------Update 08/09/2007--------------------------------------------

Well, I have now had the service for almost a month and I have nothing but good things to say. I had to make some long calls and Comcast was able to hold the call the entire time. A lot of my calling is long distance as I have family scattered all over and it has been great. The quality is good, and when we did lose power for over 6 hours, I was able to make calls during the outage. I turned my cell off so that if it did last longer I would have a phone to make calls with. It is a bit of a downside to be limited by the battery life, but in reality if the power is going to be out for several days, I would go somewhere else for the time being. As compared to when I had Vonage it costs the same during my 12 month deal. It has been as good as when I had a land line and had less problems as well When I used to have a land line, every time it rained the service would go out randomly and also get static when it worked. I still recommend the service to anyone looking for an alternative.

------------------------------Update 09/13/2007----------------------------------------------

So Far things are going quite well. I have not had any outages even when there have been power outages in the area. Longest outage we had was 6 hours and I did not lose the phone in that time. The call quality has been superb and the value is quite good. In this area Comcast Digital Voice competes head to head with Verizon. I have check the log in the modem to make sure I did not lose connectivity on the voice side and haven't seen anything. I use it to make calls home long distance and it does it will. Having a cell phone I probably don't need CDV, but if I didn't, I would surely need a higher cell phone plan. This is mainly due to calling 800 numbers when I occasionally work from home. I am on call, and when something happens there is no time to get to the office. I have been on a call for several hours and I was not dropped. For a famliy I would recommend this service as it will help reduce your cell phone bills especially with kids. For my alarm system I would do not worry about having it hooked it up to my CDV in this area. Other areas I may consider something else. Overall a great product and it is highly recommended.

------------------------------Update 05/27/2008----------------------------------------------

It has now been almost a year since I had the Comcast Triple Play installed. I have to say that I am still loving the Comcast Digital Voice product. The price has not changed and I have now signed up for a 2 year contract on the $99 Triple Play, making the price of the CDV $38/month including taxes, fees and the modem rental for the next 2 years. Definitely worth it. The service has not gone down to my knowledge since I've been using CDV. I've been on the phone for 12 hours continuously at times and I have not dropped a call. I use it to call land lines and cell phones and have not had issues. It is definitely better than Verizon in our area, whose repair times have gone up significantly in the past year. The only time the battery backup was required was when the power on our street went out. It was out for 18 hours. The battery did eventually die, but it lasted a good long time before anything happened. I did have to dial 911 once, but it was to report an accident, so I don't know exactly how well the E911 works. The police did show up at our building and the 911 operator asked to confirm my address, so I assume she saw it on the screen. In the Boston area this is a highly refined product and I recommend it to anyone who can get it. As with any service though, E911 can fail. It even happens with landlines occasionally, but for the price and performance to date, it has been a great product.

------------------------------Update 12/13/2008----------------------------------------------

I've now had the Comcast Digital Voice service for over a year and a half now. I have had no issues with the service. As far as I know it has not been down. It's been there when I need it, and I can stay on the phone as long as I like. The value is great as it saves me money be allowing me to have a minimal mobile phone plan for my household. I really do recommend this product in the Boston area and to anyone with more than two people in the household. Comcast has a great plant in the area and the service has been superb.

------------------------------Update 01/14/2011----------------------------------------------

I have been using Comcast Digital Voice for quite a while and have to say it has been great. I haven't noticed any downside to using this as your primary phone. I will admit that if I didn't have a great triple play price, I would most likely not have this as a separate service. However, with the triple play it makes it very worth it. I am paying the same as I would if I had only High Speed Internet and Cable TV. I find it quite useful even with a cell phone as they just aren't that reliable for long calls. I would recommend this to anyone looking for a home phone service.

Comments:

Review by Donut See Profile

• Location: Romulus,Wayne,MI
Good "It Works"
Bad "The Contractor who installed it first didnt do it right"
Overall "It work"

·Sprint Mobile Br..
We have had Comcast Digital Voice for a while. All of our phone lines in the area were owned by SBC so Comcast pushed for us to get this service for a great price . I don't recall the price we got it at the time. I don't make many phone calls my self BUT the last time I used the phone I had to say call clarity was about as good as my Sprint Cell Phone, witch it should be better in my opinion. My cell phone gets pretty good clarity, but to me a hardwired phone service should get the best. It would have been a better experience if the installer knew what he was doing or gave a damn about his job. In the end a "Comcast" tech had to come out and rewire it all. Equipment wise I can save we are using Arris EMTA. I cant speak for the backup battery, I cant even remember the last time we had to use this on battery power. We all have Cell phones, the only reason we carry phone service from Comcast is because my mom calls family from out of state and its cheaper to do it through Comcast.

All in all, if you need decent phone service for a decent price then I would suggest this service, we all Comcast service do not expect the best customer service, but for the most part its works.

member for 8.8 years, 2212 visits, last login: a few minutes ago

Comments:

Review by seige101 See Profile

• Location: Palmer,Hampden,MA
Good "Quality of service/Price"
Bad "Slight SNAFU on install date"
Overall "Well worth it"

With the savings with the internet/tv/phone bundle it came out to $17 bucks a month for the phone service compared to $30+ with Verizon POTS. The call quality is as good if not better than POTS.

Haven't had any outages (yet).
Love the fact that it includes long distance.

Overall very happy with it and will probabaly continue service after the initial contract runs out.

Update 5-23-07
First outage today. Tel 1 and tel 2 lights blinking rapidly no dial tone. Called customer support tech will be out same day between 12-4pm. Will up date later

Update 5-23-07

Service started working within a few hours, don't believe a tech even needed to come out.

Update 11-1-07
Apparently my pricing promotion ran out without notice resulting in my bill jumping $50 per month for my internet/phone combo from comcast. Tried calling to signup for another year long commitment but they had nothing to offer.

Called Verizon in regards to their triple play bundle and will be switching soon.

Was happy with the service and value at the bundle price ($69) for internet/phone, and have never had problems over the years but this price hike is to much.

Update 7-31-08
Back to comcast, service and reliability is great. Will be switching once a year when the pricing promotion runs out though.

Update 10-28-10
Dropped comcast over pricing issues