Iowa Telecom page on DSLReports

Review by peterweiter See Profile

• Location: Arlington,Fayette,IA
Good "Connection is faster than advertised and is always there."
Bad "none"
Overall "Would recommend to anyone, extreme speed dsl is awesome!"

I have had iowatelecom for about 4 years, the company was purchased by windstream communications this last spring. I have always been happy with iiowatelecom. I recently signed up for there extreme speed dsl now that it is offered in my community of about 500 people. There download speed have always been faster than what they are advertised at and there tech support is always there 24/7. I work on computers myself and dont need much tech support but am happy to know they are there. I use my own equipment that way I am not renting it through them and paying an extra $6 a month for there modem. I use a zoom dsl modem with a Rosewill N router. The speed that is advertised is 12mb/s I am receiving over 13mb/s and my ping times have also dropped from 80ms to about 60ms when i signed up going from 1.5mb to 12mb.

Comments:

Review by Ron86 See Profile

• Location: Montrose,Lee,IA
Good "I love it"
Bad "price"

Had a problem with the modem they sent me, had to have it replaced.

member for 11.7 years, 2393 visits, last login: 4.8 years ago

Comments:

Review by fedge See Profile

• Location: Cresco,Howard,IA
Good "Fast, Reliable, Good Customer Service"
Bad "No big complaints"
Overall "Reliable service"

I got the 15mb and I can get 15mb from certain situations. Have to remember that not all web servers will deliver the max speed but newsgroups and some speed tests confirm max throughput. Most of the time 80% is constant. The netopia modem that they include is kind-a shotty junk. It drops connections time to time. I'm considering upgrading to a real dsl modem. I have an older netopia caman 3000 that works but is not 100% compatible with the adsl2+ connection.

Customer service is a short wait on hold and most of the time helpful. i did have some problems with the newer modem and they kept saying it is my phone line but I think that the modem is to blame since replacing it with another brand fixed the inconsistencies in the Internet. I was going to go with mediacom but there are just too many stories about inconsistent service to make me want to switch. Besides iowatelecom freedom package with the 1.5mb dsl runs about 70 to 80.00 a month .. the 15mb is about 10.00 more for the first 12 months.. supposed to go up to 100 something after that I guess but I think that they would listen to negotiation if you told them considering moving to mediacom. (wink)

*******UPDATE********

I just bought a new adsl+2 modem... Dlink dsl 2640B... out classes the old netopia..is not that easy to install for a novice though. However, once i got it running (iowatelecom did help me a bit even though they don't support any modem that is not theirs) my speeds were more constant with better line quality.

Comments:

Review by famhisman See Profile

• Location: Grinnell,Poweshiek,IA
Good "Reliable speed"
Bad "Ocaasional pop3 issues"
Overall "Better then cable"

Cable was not available at the time DSL came out and our local cable company has the poorest service. I would not switch.

Comments:

Review by Isebas See Profile

• Location: Centerville,Appanoose,IA
Good "Reliability,Speed vs. Price"
Bad "Can be slow, Service loss during heavy storms"
Overall "Reliable and worth the price"

Overall I think that this company provides excellent service at decent prices. Although the speeds aren't as high as brodband from cable companies like Mediacom, they are still fairly fast. The price range for the internet is pretty fair. It's alot better than having dial-up and almost as cheap. I have had it for three months now and I can honestly count the number of times I have lost service on one hand; all of these times have usually been less than 20 minutes as well. Their customer service has helpful, and great people working for them. They can lead you through practically any problem you having from installation to maintanence. One of the bad things about this is I had to wait a week to verify I could get it at my address(I live in town). Also the dsl modem and the cables to hook it up with are sent through the postal mail and not through UPS. I had no real problems with setting it up but I can see where some people would have problems with it. The boxkit comes with both an ethernet cable and a cable to hook to a usb port if one of the options is unavailable. I also think that the phone cords they send with them were a little short, but they should do fine if the phone jacks are in the same room. Also they send what they call "filters" that well...filter out the connection from a phone jack. They send 3 or 4 in it because every jack in the house needs to have a filter on it. This is unfortunately a necessary evil because I can see what happens when you dont; the connection usually isn't as fast and sometimes you can have connection problems where you won't be able to use the net. Overall I would give this company an 8.5/10

Comments:

Review by spurgen8r See Profile

• Location: Pella,Marion,IA
Good "Very reliable connection, good speed for DSL, way better than MCHSI."
Bad "Still only copper based network. Waiting patiently for fiber."
Overall "The best deal in town."

I've been a long-time Mediacom customer but finally got fed up with the dropped connections and having to reset my cable modem almost daily. I decided to switch to Iowa Telecom for my ISP and I'm glad I did.

I received a flyer in the mail last week to sign up for Iowa Telecom with 1.5 Mbps service for $24.90/mo for 12 months. While on the phone placing my order, they advertised 15 Mbps DSL which I signed up for. The deal is $53.90 for 12 months, then $73.90 thereafter with a phone line.

Immediately after unplugging the cable modem and signing on with my ADSL2+ modem, I noticed a more responsive Internet experience. There is less delay after entering a URL before the page starts loading. The speeds are excellent, although I have yet to break the 10 Mbps mark using »speedtest.iowatelecom.net. It's still good enough for me.

My wife telecommutes with her work. She uses Remote Desktop and Vonage VoIP phone service. Before, with Mediacom, her remote desktop session was constantly getting interrupted (3-5 times a day) and I would often have to reset the cable modem. Then we would have to wait 15 minutes before she could log back on again. Not a very productive way to get work done. Now, with Iowa Telecom, we have had ZERO dropped connections with 8 hours in a Remote Desktop session.

I've also had experience with LISCO DSL service. In fact, I'm using the modem that I purchased from LISCO with my Iowa Telecom service. It's a Paradyne 6381-A3 ADSL/R (a.k.a. ReachDSL) and ADSL2+ compatible modem. There is no comparison. Iowa Telecom is the best way to go for copper based high speed Ineternet in the area.

Comments:

Review by kkingnia See Profile

• Location: Fort Madison,Lee,IA
Good "Lower prices, no problems with the service"
Bad "DSL seems slow even after I got a speed upgrade, but the numbers are better"

My telco and isp is Iowa Telecom. The main competition is QWest, which was more expensive last time I checked and had a reputation for neglectful to outrightly bad service.