Consolidated Smart Systems page on DSLReports

Review by dvrocc See Profile

• Location: Victorville,San Bernardino,CA
Good "decent enough for mail when it works"
Bad "extreme high latency random times throught the day"
Overall "latency kills the speed for the other 2 PCs in the house, five+ cable modem reboots a day to clear things up for a short time."
Mail,DNS,News:

Got DirecTV and High Speed cable through them the from order to tech install was speedy and the picture is nice and clear so the TV part is fine but the internet is the worst I have ever had. I recommend you all look else where for high speed internet and save your money, its not worth the headache and the price of $40 on a connection that is slower then dial up. Up to 1.5mb download & 256k upload the problem is that it has 600+ latency and ping times and averages out in the thousands and speeds hoover below 500k download.

My first day I logged into World of Warcraft I have 4000 latency and in 6 minutes it was in the area of 22,800 before being disconnected, now Guild Wars was a different story 155,000 ping any one! ROFL but any way the net is always connected it just isn't usable when you actually need it. BTW I have 5 e-mails and posts into many forums regarding this issue and that all point there finger at the next "place to call" they can help you! yeah right.

here is two quick tests.
»www.speedtest.net/result/815069109.png »www.pingtest.net/result/16908470.png

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

D:\Documents and Settings\*******>tracert google.com

14 916 ms 783 ms 924 ms 66.249.94.54
15 * 1007 ms 779 ms iad04s01-in-f99.1e100.net [72.14.204.99]

Trace complete.

D:\Documents and Settings\******>

Comments:

Review by adequay See Profile

• Location: Beverly Hills,Los Angeles,CA
Good "NONE"
Bad "tech and Customer Service are truly laughable"
Overall "SUCKS!"
Mail,DNS,News:

All I can say is that I would NEVER recommend this service, event to my worst enemy. They are not only petty and slow, no customer oriented but they have faulty technical service and you should expect routine tech visits to your house if you sign up with this idiotic company. Oh, and BTW they charge you for these visits.

Comments:

Review by SatanrunsCSS See Profile

• Location: Glendale,Maricopa,AZ
Good "Activation was fast when I first signed up."
Bad "The company is unorganized, doesn't know the meaning of customer service, and never returns your phone calls."
Overall "If you don't mind horrible customer service, then there's not that many other problems."
Mail,DNS,News:

This company must be run by Satan from HE11. They say their in Gardena, CA, but I know it has to be he11. Customer Service: Bottom line, these representatives haven't been trained properly on customer service and what it means. They are not very friendly or helpful. When you ask to speak with a manager, it takes 15-20 minutes for them to get one. I was supposed to get a refund back on my debit card because they had over charged me. IT TOOK 10 MONTHS TO GET MY REFUND! AND I DIDN'T EVEN GET THE REFUND FROM CSS, I FINALLY JUST HAD TO DO A VISA DISPUTE WITH MY CREDIT UNION! I had called and called over the course of 10 months and spoke with numerous customer service reps. About 6 reps at different times had told me they would call me back within the next couple of days...No call. I called and left a message on their voicemail for them to call me back....No call. I called and asked to speak with a manager, and they said one would call me back...No call. This lasted 10 grueling months until I finally gave up and filed a dispute with my credit union. They finally wore me down...and I am a former UNITED STATES MARINE! THIS COMPANY IS THE WORST COMPANY I HAVE EVER DEALT WITH IN MY ADULT LIFE. I can't believe they can get away with the things that they are doing. Before you move into an apartment, ask who their ISP is...if it's Consolidated Smart Systems, RUN OUT THE DOOR AND NEVER RETURN.

Comments:

Review by edamon See Profile

• Location: Marina Del Rey,Los Angeles,CA
Good "Fast download and upload speeds (5mbps/768kbps up)"
Bad "none so far, but they don't offer 24/7 support."
Overall "Good deal for the money"
Mail,DNS,News:

Consolidated resells XO communications services. Having been forced to used the only broadband company our property management company allowed for the last 2 years (ygnition - worst doesn't even begin to describe them) -- it was quite nice to be able to order real broadband.

$45 bucks a month ($5 cheaper than ygnition) and speeds that are 10-15 times faster is hard to beat.

It took two days from the time I placed the order until the guy showed up with the cable modem and had it installed.

member for 13.4 years, 331 visits, last login: 5.8 years ago

Comments:

Review by skywalk See Profile

Good "None"
Bad "Service is spotty"
Overall "cancel your service"

We live in the Allegro, Jack London Square, Oakland, CA apartment complex and have been using Consolidated for 2 months now. Consolidated took over from our former service provider, PangeaTek, which has gone out of business, and was just as bad.

When we first started, the service seemed to be ok for web browsing, etc. But lately, it has been terrible. Our connection constantly goes out and has been doing so for about 3 weeks. We pay 35 to 40 a month, which is quite expensive for being so terrible. We have put their customer service to the test, which is equally as bad.

Techs do not come on the day they are scheduled. The techs do not solve the issue and say that they need to have someone else come look at it. Yet, the next tech doesn't show up. Many people within our building have complained about this also, but when talking to customer service about it, they seem clueless.

We are moving to DSL. The hassle is not worth it.

Comments:

Review by draxon See Profile

• Location: Playa Del Rey,Los Angeles,CA
Good "Marginally better than dial-up, no down time as of yet"
Bad "Bad packet loss, huge fluxuations in ping times, no real IP (behind ISP's NAT), expensive"
Overall "Avoid if at all possible"
Mail,DNS,News:

I recently moved to a new apartment complex, which I was dismayed to discover had an "exclusive" deal with an internet service provider called "Consolidated Smart Systems" [»www.consolidatedsmart.com/]. I was very nervous about being locked into a single ISP as I had no recourse if the ISP turned out to be lacking, but being that I had no other choice I gave them the benefit of the doubt. The line I signed up for is the "pro" line which is 1.5mb down/ 512kb up for $50 a month. First off this is pretty expensive considering I just came from a Time Warner line that's 4mb down for the same price, but even discarding that the line sucks. It took quite a while considering all they had to do was drop off a modem, but they finally came by and gave me the modem. After I was all hooked up I had to wait another 24 hours before the line was actually active.

Once the line went active I was immediately disappointed with the performance of the line. It's a 1.5/512 line which is slower than I'm used to to begin with but I've had lines of that speed in the past and was satisfied. The first thing I noticed is that browsing the web was really sluggish. I thought maybe I wasn't getting good throughput so I did some speed tests on BBR and was surprised to find that I was actually getting pretty good throughput (about 1mb down and 312kb up). I then did some extended ping tests vs large sites on the internet and quickly discovered the problems. Ping times to google.com for example vary wildly from moment to moment. Ping times to google go from 55ms to 300ms, with packet loss thrown in to make things more interesting. The result is that I can download large files at a decent clip, but negotiating new connections (e.g. browsing the web) is incredibly slow. It feels like I'm on a dial-up connection.

Normally I'd dump this POS carrier like a bad habit and move to something else but alas, I'm stuck. Anyway I thought I'd put this up to warn off future residents of various SoCal apartment complexes to stay away from consolidated smart systems if at all possible.

Here's a snippet from a ping test to dslreports.com (notice the varying ping times):

Reply from 209.123.109.175: bytes=32 time=96ms TTL=52
Reply from 209.123.109.175: bytes=32 time=169ms TTL=52
Reply from 209.123.109.175: bytes=32 time=195ms TTL=52
Reply from 209.123.109.175: bytes=32 time=186ms TTL=52
Reply from 209.123.109.175: bytes=32 time=190ms TTL=52

So, moving on the next big mark against CSS is that you don't get a real outside IP! All customers are behind a NAT system, which means even if I wanted to I couldn't put up any kind of server what so ever. Can't remote desktop in, can't access didly squat from outside. Very lame.

Bottom line, this carrier is a cheap-o carrier completely lacking in customer care and the only way out is to never get in in the first place!

Edit: Another recent ping snippet:
Reply from 209.123.109.175: bytes=32 time=200ms TTL=52
Reply from 209.123.109.175: bytes=32 time=128ms TTL=52
Reply from 209.123.109.175: bytes=32 time=170ms TTL=52

.. bah!

Update: 4/29/2007--
I have since canceled service with Consolidated Smart Systems as I was unwilling to put up with the terrible level of service being received. However, since canceling and turning in my modem they are STILL charging me! They don't answer voicemail, or e-mail and they definitely don't answer their phones... The only option I'm left with is canceling the charges on my credit card. This company is the devil.

member for 14.1 years, 630 visits, last login: 4.7 years ago

Comments:

Review by adi_n See Profile

• Location: Phoenix,Maricopa,AZ
Good "None that I came across"
Bad "Unethical, rude customer service, bad planning & terrible communication"
Overall "To be avoided at any cost"
Mail,DNS,News:

I posted this earlier under "Cable Users" forum. I now have a connection, but will remember the terrible service I got from this company, and the rude people in customer service. I plan to move out of my apartment because of my bad experience, and will never ever have a relationship with this company.

***************

I turned to this forum as I didn't know what else to do. Some months back, a cable provider - Consolidated Smart Systems replaced the earlier service provider. We didn't get to know that till we saw our bills! Later, Consolidated Smart Systems notified that they are changing over to DirectTV ( at a higher service cost ). During the day the changeover was scheduled, they notified that they are not ready yet, and that there will be no service for about 10 days! It is a month now and we still donot have connection. I have spoken to the apartment management, as well as to Consolidated Smart Systems. This company has the rudest possible customer service - and you can imagine how much help I would have got from their supervisors . They do not have the courtesy to even respond to voice mails ( I left a few) or to emails. ( Do not spend time mailing them your concern - it will positively go unanswered) Sonterra's apartment management haven't been much help either. My apartment is north facing, and I do not have an option to switch to another service provider. I am really tired with Consolidated Smart Systems - can someone advise me what to do?