WTC Communications page on DSLReports

• Location: k7r2g
Good "friendly staff"
Bad "pricey, no usage monitoring, throttling without info interms and conditions, activation fee high"
Overall "not bad"

Always been with WTC since my dad always used it for his business and had a kingston.net email. The plan was switched from a pre-existing 60gb/month to the new 10+70 plan when we moved and the usage monitor page(portal) from their website dissapeared. All in all no complaints other than they never answered my email...full info was not provided on contract for connecting a wireless router at first so so some tech support needed there. they need to elaborate more on their speed reduction and throttling in their terms and conditions. Live chat was great and answered all my questions almost instantly. Bandwidth is reset at the beginning of each month if you exceed data usage. rarely had any less than the full 10mbps. However an issue had to be identfied and fixed with Bell or some other service interfering. Not a bad ISP but lacks a few different features other ISPs feature for a better price...

(review was emailed from domain hotmail.ca)

Comments:

OP

@wtccommunications.ca

data usage

edit: data usage meter added February /13

• Location: k7n2a
Good "No Automated Phone Machine"
Bad "The Speed"
Overall "Recieved less then half the speed I was told!"

Hello, I am writing this review as I am not pleased with WTC Communications
based out of Kingston, ON. I signed up with WTC after cancelling my account
with Cogeco after 4 weeks ago. I ordered a package that was to have 10mbps
of download speed and 70gb's of Bandwidth. I was told when ordering that in
my location (Amherstview. ON 15mins away from the companies local location)
that I would only be able to receive 6mbps, not 10. I confirmed that I
understood and that it wasn't a big deal. 2 weeks down the road, the
internet was finally hooked up. I noticed my speed was only clocking in at
between 2-3mbps. I figured maybe they hadn't set me up properly or
something and let it slide for a couple days. I finally called in (5 days
after having the service installed) and spoke with a technician about my
concern. He directed me to speedtest.net to test my speeds which I had
already done. To no avail, I was clocked multiple time between 2-3mbps. He
then proceeds to tell me that in my area that 2-3mbps is all that I will
probably get. So I stated that I was going to cancel my service due to the
fact that I was paying for 10mbps, was told I'd get 6mbps, and am now only
getting up to 3mbps. Less than half of the speed im paying for. I was told
that there was a $100 early cancellation fee. I was a little shocked
considering I had the internet merely 5 days. I turned off my modem as to
not be charged any further. After about a week of calling back and fourth.
I was told simply, "...our service is an "up to" service so that should
have been explained and we can not reverse the ECF." (Early Cancellation
Fee). I was trying to be civil and understanding with them and did not want
to have to write this review, but these are the facts. Beware this company.
I give them a 5/10, they receive points for actually answering their phones
when I called and despite the slow speed, the internet actually worked.

(review was emailed from domain gmail.com)

join:2012-06-11

Did they disclose the part about "up to" speeds...

BEFORE you agreed to the terms of service?

It doesn't sound like they did in which case they should IMMEDIATELY refund your account and credit your account for any ETF. This sounds like FRAUD to me.
mikelynn

join:2012-10-17

RE: Recieved less then half the speed I was told!

I work for WTC Communications. I'm sorry to hear you were not able to receive the speeds you signed up for. While we do make every effort to deliver the best speeds we can, in certain cases we are at the mercy of the infrastructure being used. Based on your location, you would be using copper lines from a Bell office. On copper, the speed of your internet connection is dictated by the distance of your home to the office the lines originate in.

Because of the way the technology works we clearly indicate in all of our advertising and promotions that it is an "up to" service. In fact, the very first sentence about any of our internet products on our website and in print is, "Download speed UP TO XMbps." We have been diligent about making this point very clear in all of our communication with customers, as well as in our Terms of Service.

My understanding is that you were able to achieve approximately 3Mbps. While this isn't ideal, it is likely the maximum that the current technology can offer at your particular location.

Again, I am sorry that you were dissatisfied with our service. Please feel free to contact us if there is anything we can help you with in the future.

Review by bl00drush See Profile

• Location: Battersea,ON
Good "Very fast, reliable and stable connection. Great tech support, friendly staff."
Bad "Overall latency is a bit high for serious FPS gaming. Expensive bandwidth."
Overall "Best connection available in rural areas by far"

*****UPDATE*****
Over the past four months I've been dealing rather frequently with WTC's Tech Support team, and the improvement in the connection and their customer service/tech support is very impressive. I voiced my concerns on their online Help Desk ticket system and referenced my previous review here and they have since addressed all of my concerns, going above and beyond my expectations in getting my problems resolved.

After some back and forth with statistics and data and monitoring the connection, they decided to let us be a "test" client for their new WiMax service for no additional charge. The correspondence we had over the online ticket system, although typed, was friendly and productive, and they responded in a very timely manner to replies or new tickets.

I only had to call on a couple of occasions, but they were likely the result of my router losing power - my router doesn't seem to reconnect to PPPoE properly if power is unplugged and re-plugged, and it has to reconnected manually. The times my family or I did have to call, they were friendly, courteous, and helpful.

After 4 months of monitoring, I can say their new WiMax connection is fast and reliable, suitable for PC Gaming (unless you're into it competitively) and I have had no issues with it. Bottom line is this ISP and their service in rural areas have improved substantially since my last review, and I would recommend them to anyone who can't get cable/fiber optic.

Cheers

S.B.

Comments:

Review by Trisomy21 See Profile

• Location: Kingston,ON
  • CLEC party: Bell Canada
Bad "Dropped packets, high price and poor staff"
Overall "They lied to me on a number of occasions"

wtccommunications formerly known as kingston.net
When they were Kingston.net they were a wonderful ISP competitive prices, knowledgeable, friendly staff. Since the change to wtccommunications things have
gone pretty sour.

Most recently, I was advised of what they call a "conversation limit of 200 on any given port" basically, they're dropping packets which was affecting my online gaming (finding servers) and obviously torrents. I was told it was a "security measure" to protect against
outgoing DoS attacks.

When confronted about this issue on a public forum (which a number of their support guys happen to moderate on) they changed their tune pretty quickly.

From WTC
"This limit is not intentional, it's a hardware limitation which has been activated by tremendous growth. While we can play this as a security measure, it has caused a few problems when a customer's connection dies frequently. In fact, a replacement aggregator is currently in testing and should take over in a matter of weeks."

Afterwards I was banned from those forums the topic was deleted and I received an e-mail from their abuse department who informed me I was banned from those forums and if any more complaints were received my account would be terminated.

To sum it up, I was paying $45 a month for 5000/800 "unlimited" connection, where they dropped my packets called it a security issue, lied to me and then banned me for informing other customers about the issue.

Many of the replies consisted of WTC customers saying "So that's why I can't find any gaming servers. I thought it was my hardware."

Overall, their actions and the way they present themselves is deplorable.
They were once a very good Internet provider. Now they're just sneaky, underhanded liars. Avoid them at all costs!

*UPDATE*
Cancelled service and switched to TekSavvy. Speeds have improved both up/down, no more dropped packets so I can actually refresh game server browsers and obtain more than 20 servers. I can torrent without timing out while viewing webpages etc.
I'm so glad I switched, wish I would have done this years ago!