Clearwire Wireless page on DSLReports

Review by floydb1982 See Profile

• Location: Kent,King,WA
Good "In the begining is was fast"
Bad "It got very slow"
Overall "It was good from the start then slowed to a crawll"

I signed up for Clearwire 3G WiMAX 2Mbps/256Kbps home desktop modem service right after dumping Comcast. It was as fast as the Comcast service I had. Then Clearwire merged with Sprint and became Clear. The speed went from 2Mbps/256Kbps to 10Mbps/1Mbps. After the so called upgrade they over sold there service and it was slower than hell. They clamed the service was unlimited but if you used up 8Gbps before the end of the month they slowed your speeds down. Always downloading at 40Kbps to 60Kbps day or night. I would call up tech support and they would have me do a power cycle of the modem and then they would reset each time I called tech support. I owned the desktop modem and USB modem and got rid of both of them. It was long after Clearwire became Clear that i switched back to Comcast. Don't waist your money on Clear.

member for 10 years, 1979 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Snowy See Profile

• Location: Kailua,Honolulu,HI
Good "They got caught ripping me off"
Bad "Adding worthless premium features without my consent"
Overall "They cheat customers using phantom charges"

DO NOT USE Clear's Autopay option!
They think 'autopay' pay means they can auto add premium service charges without bothering to ask the customer how they feel about it.
A $9 mo overcharge that ran 4 months before the crooks got caught.
The CS believed that since they credited the $36 back to the account I should be grateful.
I am not grateful for crooks paying restitution.
Despite Clear's unclear terms & costs it does have a place as backup connection.
With RR as my goto provider a recent rash of power outages has either knocked me offline or RR offline, Clear to go has kept me online.

Clear to go has been dependable.
Not fast but dependable.
Clear to go has saved the day twice in the past year when TWC went offline.
As a backup, it's not a bad thing to have.

Trying to cancel the Clear To Go addon is not as easy as it would seem.
Clear auto-renews it, I try to cancel, they say it's been renewed, I ask them to not renew at next terms end, they renew it, I try to cancel it, they say it's been renewed, Clear auto-renews it, I try to cancel, they say it's been renewed, I ask them to not renew at next terms end, they renew it, I try to cancel it, they say it's been renewed, Clear auto-renews it, I try to cancel, they say it's been renewed, I ask them to not renew at next terms end, they renew it, I try to cancel it, they say it's been renewed, Clear auto-renews it, I try to cancel, they say it's been renewed, I ask them to not renew at next terms end, they renew it, I try to cancel it, they say it's been renewed, Clear auto-renews it, I try to cancel, they say it's been renewed, I ask them to not renew at next terms end, they renew it, I try to cancel it, they say it's been renewed, Clear auto-renews it, I try to cancel, they say it's been renewed, I ask them to not renew at next terms end, they renew it, I try to cancel it, they say it's been renewed.
Nothing is certain but death, taxes & an infinite loop of Clear To Go.

member for 11.4 years, 6424 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by CompTech210 See Profile

• Location: San Antonio,Bexar,TX
Good "Decent Speeds for the Price"
Bad "Speeds Vary"
Overall "It Works"

·AT&T DSL Service
Service has been discontinued as the office plan we originally started with was removed and it wasn't worth it for no static IP and erratic speeds.

Comments:

Cane4ever

@comcast.net

Clear

We go the stick and so far everything is A ok!

Review by TamaraB See Profile

• Location: Bronx,Bronx,NY
Good "Wireless"
Bad "Terrible speeds, unreliable service, unintelligible and incompetent tech support."
Overall "A last resort provider."

·Optimum Online
I had this service for a brief time. It was marginally better than DSL in speed, but far less reliable. When I attempted to cancel the service due to being down more than being up, the unintelligible tech support as well as their billing department couldn't seem to cancel my account and kept slamming my CC. I had to cancel my CC card and get a new one to stop the payments.

member for 13.8 years, 5236 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by cleonamar See Profile

• Location: Seattle,King,WA
Good "No phone or cable lines to your house."
Bad "They always give you a fake 192.168.*.* address. Static IP is not possible."
Overall "Do not use if you want any inbound access."

·Clearwire
Call me crazy, but I thought part of paying for internet, was getting an internet address. Sure that address would change every so often, but at least it was real. You could game with your friends, host a web server, etc.

Ask them if you could pay for a real address and they're response was "no, sorry, go somewhere else". So here I am warning others, DO NOT GET Clearwire!

Clearwire is doing the kind of cheat like if you re-sold some of your internet to your neighbor.

member for 1 year, 0 visits, last login: 1 year ago
lodged 1 year ago

Comments:
isnoop

join:2006-10-18
Seattle, WA

It ain't necessarily so.

I have a clearwire device whose only purpose is to be the remote access point for an IP security camera. It has a proper web IP address, not a 192.168.*. However, I had to ask for that feature.

Review by cmarslett See Profile

• Location: Pflugerville,Travis,TX
Good "FAST, EASY setup. No contract, cheap install ($50)."
Bad "Storms do take it out (wireless, y'know)"
Overall "After several months, I am even more satisifed than when I started"

·Clear Wireless
·NetTalk
·T-Mobile US
The standard Clear package for my location is 3-6 Mbit (estimated, not guaranteed) using a wireless modem/router (refurb, $49). Initially, corporate VPN got about 480 Kbps, most FTP transfers get about 1.5 Mbps, Netflix worked, and the flash speed test typically reported 3.3 Mbps up, 1 Mbps down. I am paying $52/mo, a bit more than AT&T DSL, but it works all the time!

Bought the modem at Fry's, brought it home and plugged it in. Can't get much simpler. Modem is a Motorola 25725 black monolith.

After several months, the connection has settled down (maybe they had a lot of sales last summer?). Early on connections varied a lot. Sometimes no connection (say 20 hours the first 3 months), sometimes 8-9 Mbit down and 1-2 Mbit up. I have had about 2 hours down in the last three months and haven't seen a connection above 5 Mbit down. Uploads are still 1-2 Mbit. Which suits me fine.

Mostly I notice how easy everything is, I did do some moving of the modem around the house to find the best spot, but that runs rings around the hassles of getting a cable or DSL connection to work in this house. Since one early speed test (where I got 13.2/0.9 Mbps) I consistently do not get download speeds as fast as my DSL, or upload speeds as slow as my DSL connection gave me.

Well after 6 months it just stays the same (no chance of that with AT&T). If I get the urge, I may try Suddenlink, but I'll never go back to AT&T with their poor reliability and regular price increases. So I raised my ratings a bit, but otherwise no real changes.

updated 1 year ago

Comments:
cmarslett

join:2006-11-22
Pflugerville, TX
·Clear Wireless
·NetTalk
·T-Mobile US
·Clearwire Wireless

Reliability is so-so

I've had two bouts of connectivity loss in 3 weeks (about 3 hours each). The first was in the middle of a storm, the second early Monday morning a week later (maybe when they replace the backup hardware on the tower?). Before and after the two failures, I have gotten better upload bandwidth than my AT&T DSL, and almost as good download bandwidth. In between I got about half that.

Anyway, I'm still satisfied.
aromack

join:2006-06-08
Delhi, CA

Worst ever

If you go over 10gig during a months service in my area, your connection is throttled to the point you can not do anything but view webpages and check email. Forget about doing that if more then one person in the house wants to do the same. down rate drops to a low as .025mbps. If I could get a land line of any type in the area I live i would! Dial-up would be better then Clear! I have had their service since April 4th of last year and have not once ever gotten close to the 6mbps advertised speed. I am only 1.2 miles from their antenna and I have external professionally installed antenna aimed at it.
WiMAX RSSI: -50 dBm
WiMAX CINR: 21 dB
If you have any other choices in your area I highly suggest avoiding clear like a Zombie leper on crack!

Review by ronnotel See Profile

• Location: Wilmette,Cook,IL
Good "Fast, easy install, slick customer service web site"
Bad "none so far"
Overall "check coverage overlay map in store before buying"

I have been waiting years and I am finally ready to cut the last wired service extending into my home (AT&T subscriber phone service). I signed up for Clear's home internet + voice for $55/month. Installation was a snap and I get five bars when I position the modem near my window. Upload/download speed is 3.5M/1.1M which is far better than the SpeakEasy DSL I am replacing (which was $55/mo all on it's own). Service quality seems to be highly dependent on location. Being near the tower helps, but the service is quasi-directional. If you are directly in the path of one of your tower antenna's three horns you will do better. Clear has a Google Maps overlay you can see in their store that will give you an idea of exactly what kind of signal strength you will get - it's worth a trip to find out before you sign up.

BTW, Clear's VoIP has some cool features - such as vmail to email, selective call screening, etc.

May 2010 - have had the service for four months now and it's all good so far. Signal has never dipped below four bars, even during heavy downpour or snow. I have had to reboot the wimax modem a couple of times but no biggie, have never had an outage that I could prove was due to Clear. We have used the phone for a lot of international calling (screening au pair candidates) and the rates are crazy cheap. As long as signal strength is good in your location then I can strongly recommend.

May 2013 - Three years on and I guess I'm one of the lucky ones - perhaps because I'm directly in one of the tri-corn paths of my local tower and get a solid signal. I probably get one or two issues every six months requiring a modem reboot or a call to Clear. However, the issue almost always goes away before I can get someone on the line. I watch a lot of HBO TO GO and streamed movies from Amazon. Most of the time the show goes through uninterrupted, with perhaps 1 in 10 times I get some minor buffering. Overall I'm pretty happy and would hate, hate, hate to have to a get my service from devil spawn such as AT&T, etc.

Comments:

Review by chbrs34 See Profile

• Location: Salt Lake City,Salt Lake,UT
Good "initial sales was good due to fact sales is based in U.S."
Bad "cleare towers cant handle the customer volume. outsource"
Overall "Comcast/Ceturylink have better value, more experience company based in U.S."

Since I have had Clearwire, i have had to call every month about the connection speed, usually a week before the bill is due and i have been with them for 5 months and i am going to make it my last. I paid for a modem that cannot get service if there is too many people on a certain tower, which means they should open up the bandwidth so customers can still get there service that they pay for, or they need to get more towers in the area. Clearwire knew that there was a problem yet still had me jump through the resetting hoops for 2 hrs and 2 days instead of putting the service conditions on the website or sending an email or text or some kind of communication to let you know there was a problem. They could at least let you know at the beginning of the call that service was slow or down so you do not have to sit on the phone. Another thing I will never do again is buy from a company that outsources to other countries such as the Philippines just because of the fact they sell in America so why not employ in America. For what you pay for which is around $60.00 you get up to 6 or 7 mbps download if your lucky and up to 1 mbps upload which is the high end package. You are better off going with Comcast or CenturyLink who employs tech support agents in America.....I'm just sayin!!! If you don't believe me just watch!!

Comments:

Review by Elodean See Profile

• Location: South Weymouth,Norfolk,MA
Good "simple setup, functional speeds"
Bad "latency, inconsistent performance"
Overall "a viable alternative to cable/dsl, or if you have no other option"

I was never a fan of wireless broadband because of the rather unreliable nature of radio signals. Any fixed radio-based wireless networking setup will either work or it won't work. Even if it works, the signal typically depends on all sorts of factors, including weather. Still, back in November 2011, I decided to give Clear a try to see if their wireless offering was usable.

First of all, I see a lot of complaints about Clear. Apparently, if you can get good signal, people are generally happy; if you don't have ideal signal, then people are unhappy, and the infamous Clear customer service doesn't help either. I actually suggested Clear to a friend, who signed up but couldn't get a signal. He had a hell of a time trying to cancel service. (He even tried to go to a Clear brick-and-mortar establishment in New York and they said they couldn't cancel him at the store.) In the end, it took months and a lot of arguing to cancel his service.

I was one of the lucky ones; it worked for me right out of the box, so I didn't have to deal with support. I got a G-Series modem, and was able to position it in a good place near a window with a relatively open view towards the nearest tower to get 5 bars (~25dB CINR). Latency was better than what I was expecting, but still not on par with wired services. Basic network access worked well. However, weather events such as snow and rain definitely affect the connection. I agree with many other reviews that if you don't get 5 bars, then even basic network access becomes unpleasant.

Based on the Clear coverage maps and my past year of use, my signal is apparently "borderline" good (which is why it's so jumpy). In my particular case, sustained download speeds can swing wildly across the range, so streaming media such as video and voice would often stutter. These days, sites that don't let the user set the video quality will automatically adjust the quality based on the current bandwidth. For a bursty connection, the result can be very frustrating, as the video tries to change to high definition, then pause before dropping to lower quality because the jumpy speeds can't maintain the video buffer.

I was originally on their $50 uncapped service, but dropped to their $35 1.5Mbit offering because I figured that if they could only really sustain about 2Mbit consistently, then I'd rather pay for a lower tier of service. But apparently, the practical speeds dropped as well, with speeds often hovering between 100kbit and 700kbit. As some people have pointed out, hacking in an external antenna should greatly improve signal, and I'm definitely starting to consider that option. Hey, if your connection is lousy and the warranty expired, you've really got nothing to lose.

In the end, Clear is pretty good - for wireless. Their service is bound to the same limitations as all radio-based technologies. While the price is decent (since it includes all fees and taxes here), the connection quality makes the service inferior to other ISP offerings in the equivalent pricing tier (typically the $29.99 DSL or cable plans, when you add in taxes and fees). A good signal makes all the difference. Sadly, their signal map is only a rough estimate; the only way to get a good idea of the practical connection quality is to try their service yourself. If you don't get ideal signal, I'd say Clear would be fine for occasional network use. If you often deal with streaming, gaming, video/voice conferencing, remote desktop, development/productivity, then you need a strong signal, or look for a wired solution.

Comments:
awasser1

re: Clearwire Review

i found when i went to their home service the speed dropped like an anvil. i went back to my clearspot in the window and was getting 16-18 /1.5 mbps. I use it now for backup and went to Comcast. the latency was killing me for video conferencing. Have you tried to buy an external antenna. I have seen this improve connections. I am in CT and it works great in some places and doesnt work in others.
Elodean

join:2011-10-29
South Weymouth, MA
·Clearwire Wireless

Re: re: Clearwire Review

I don't think an external antenna would help me much here; I'm already 25dB CINR and -65dB RSSI, which I consider pretty good. But I do plan on hacking in an external antenna just for fun - after I sign up for another service first, so I have a fallback in case I mess up the modem while cracking it open and drilling holes.

I think the problem for me is that I'm at the edge of Clear's coverage area (not just the edge of a tower's coverage area, but Clear's entire Boston coverage area). Based on their maps, my location has strong service (dark green), but I only have access to 1 tower, and I'm betting that this tower gets congested. Also, when the connection goes down (maybe for maintenance), the modem can't switch over to another tower, so I get occasional and annoying bouts of downtime, frequently at night and weekends.

Another point is that Clear resells its service to FreedomPop. If you use Clear for a backup connection, you're probably better off dropping them and just getting FreedomPop, which will get you free wireless service up to about a gig a month, based on their current service descriptions. (However, I'm not sure if you'll need a different modem for FreedomPop.)

Re: re: Clearwire Review

Yes you would need a separate modem. I think I have two towers by my house and its mostly residential here. But I believe when I look up the stats it always points to one tower in particular. I have gotten Comcast 50/10 now and they have a 6 month special. So I keep it as a backup or when I am travelling in my car in the local area. I really have had good luck with them despite some people not having such good luck. I find its always good to have a backup in this day and age. Storms and such can put you out of contact really quickly.

Review by SanAntonioTx See Profile

• Location: San Antonio,Bexar,TX
Good "Only if you live with in 2,000 feet of the nearest sprint tower"
Bad "You get what you pay for"

This is one of the worst 4g providers how ever when you do get a signal the data is Unlimited the only time you will see past 10mbps is at night time at 4 am unless the local cell phone tower *sprint* tower is not over congested by the unlimited data users best speed i've ever seen on clear wire was back in 2010 26mbps down and 1.5mbps up now today if lucky I'll see 12mbps down and 1.5mbps up

if you have no other options and a very tight budget and don't really stream anything and for basic internet clear wire would be good for you

Comments:
awasser1

re: Clearwire Review

yes thats about right. good accurate review

ken new York

@clearwire-wmx.net

Re: re: Clearwire Review

I absolutely hate the clear 4g service i live an go to school in the middle of nrw york and have yet to see the 4-g hotspot actually work at 4g speed or 3g speed for that matter hell just getting it to work at all without losing signal is a job in an of itself i can't wait for the day something better comes along im switching asap