Clearwire Wireless page on DSLReports

Review by SmokChsr See Profile

• Location: Saint Augustine,Saint Johns,FL
  • Cost Contract price not specified. (12 month contract)
Good "It works and was easy to get going"
Bad "Not sure yet how to port inbound info"
Overall "it's quick it's easy it's portable"

I'm still learning what I can do with it.

member for 8 years, 2438 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by loweth See Profile

• Location: Maspeth,Queens,NY
Good "Mobile Broadband sent out next day"
Bad "Mobile Broadband not so good in New York"

Does anyone have this company in NY and how is the service, if it is this bad I will drop them soon.

Comments:

Review by buttwipe See Profile

• Location: Gladstone,Clackamas,OR
Good "the manager of the the local store"
Bad "having to deal with tech support"
Overall "its ok for what i need right now"

I changed over from qwest and am happy about that ,but in the 3months that i have had clear we have had about a weeks worth of outages, and very slow speeds . I was on the phone with clear support all that week, and I got to tell you they are worthless, all they know can be put in a sewing thimble with room to spare. The up side to this is they seem to be fairly liberal with credits just to keep you happy , but the problem still exists slow speeds (6 up/1dn) i get what i paid for in the morning but as the day goes on the speed get slower and slower , but for what i use the net for this is ok for now

Comments:

Review by makabe See Profile

• Location: Seattle,King,WA
Good "FAST connection at first, no contract"
Bad "Difficult, kind of wonky setup, connection got worse and worse"
Overall "It worked for a few months, and now it is crap"

I've been a Qwest DSL customer for over 10 years, our speed was 1.25/750 (reported by speedtest) and we used an outside ISP so our service was costing $28+17 per month. I considered Comcast but I don't have any other services so their price was too high. I'm going to a local only landline with Qwest, so my DSL cost would have shot up to about $50/month.

I ordered Clearwire's 6/1 home service (no contract, $70 modem, 40+tax/month). When I first hooked it up, I was averaging 3.5-4.5 Mbps downloads and 170 Kbps uploads. I called customer service after a day to complain about the upload speeds and got the usual blather about relocating the modem to find the best spot in the house. I relocated until I found the best spot was in front of an OPEN window--4.5 Mbps down, 800 Kbps up--but when I closed the window, the upload speed went back to crap at 170 Kbps. Then I decided to try placing the modem in the attic. When I did, I got 8+ Mbps down and 900 kbps up, but the dang modem was now in the attic! I called customer service and said that my speeds in the house were crap, but after putting the modem in the attic, they were fine and asked if I could buy the 'clear plugs' ethernet to house wiring adapters. The CSR gave me a 50% discount on the clear plugs (which I didn't ask for but happily accepted) and now everything is running great. The ping isn't so hot, but the connection speeds are great.

I got the standard motorola CPEI 150 wimax modem, which now shows RSSI of -71 dBm and CINR of 17 dB since being relocated to the attic.

If Clearwire had posted a note on their website about the trouble with connecting in houses with double pane argon filled windows, I might not have ordered the service. Getting the configuration/location correct was a challenge, but after getting over the idea of putting the modem in the attic, it's all working great.

________________________

November 2010 update:

My connection speeds have been down below 2 Mbps for 2 months and often barely more than 1 Mbps. I have 4 out of 5 bars signal strength, so the problem isn't on my end. Clear won't admit to throttling my connection or over saturation of the network, but something stinky is going on. Bottom line: I'm dumping Clear and going back to Qwest DSL holding my nose. Hopefully the 7 Mbps Qwest package will be consistant.

Comments:

Review by DoRight See Profile

• Location: East Petersburg,Lancaster,PA
Good "I say $50 a month versus having Comcrap and Verizon Wireless"
Bad "3G service isn't as strong as having a true 3G aircard"
Overall "Great price and great speeds.. Better then Comcast/Verizon"

At the time I was working for RBD (Clearwire partner running Clear Stores) when I signed up. I had to do it because the savings ($50) made sense. I was paying $70 (includes taxes) a month for a Verizon Wireless USB and $53 (includes taxes) a month for Comcast (6MB). I was sick of calling Comcast with outages and only getting $2 credits and tired of being lied to all the time and they had to come out and dig up my yard and run a new line (Now I have a dead grass line from the home to the box). I set myself up for service and brought it home.

Two issues:

Went out off the Clear network and was in the Altoona, PA area and the 3G side would not work so I called and they said it never got activated so I had to wait 24 hours for it to work. It did work later on the next day.

For the first 2 weeks I was only getting 3-4MB down so I called to check on signal as I only live 1/3 of a mile from antennas. They asked a few questions.. Got tired of listening to support so I hung up. Now I am getting 6-9MB down which is much better...

11/01/10

Have not had any issues with service since first week or so. Speeds are not quite what they use to be.

Last Result:
Download Speed: 5839 kbps (729.9 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 995 kbps (124.4 KB/sec transfer rate)

That is off Speakeasy.com

Comments:

Review by oldgatordelt See Profile

• Location: Dallas,Dallas,TX
Good "Blazingly fast if you can get a good signal and don't use it too much"
Bad "Network Management at 250-540 K bps"
Overall "Don't dare do what they show in their commercials, or you will be managed"

What a difference a few months make.. I was a real Clear fan.. Received strong signal and 7-8-9 M bps D/L speed... Phone worked well.. Then, they started "network management".. First, their Tech Support denied they "throttled" or managed anyone; on several different occasions.. Thanks to the comments from Clear users here in DSLReports, Clear management finally admitted they do indeed "manage" the network.. However, they say only those who run torrents and download movies all day are managed.. In my case, NOT TRUE.. I have never done anything with or on a torrent.. No Netflix, No Hulu, etc.. I average less than 2 G a day.. I have been throttled to 540K bps for the last week; whether it's 5 AM Sunday or Midnight Tuesday.. Their commercials show folks watching movies on their laptops or mobile devices.. False advertising in my opinion.. So, I'm looking at alternatives.. If their "network management" doesn't stop or change very soon, I'm history.. Buy hey, maybe they'd like that..

member for 12.2 years, 141 visits, last login: 2.2 years ago

Comments:

Review by xearon See Profile

• Location: Jacksonville,Duval,FL
Good "Excellent Customer Service"
Bad "You need the newest modem or it wont work"
Overall "It is a better choice than low speed DSL, for the same money"

UPDATE
Cancelled Clearwire after I moved to a home with insulated windows. A technician came to my house and found that they were so well insulated that they were keeping out the Clearwire signal. The tech tried to tell me I should keep my windows slightly open and place the antenna outside. Very funny.
_________________________________________________

UPDATE:
My clearwire connection began degrading and I experienced a lot of disconnections and my connection stayed at about 2 to 3 bars. A Clearwire tech came to the house and I learned some important things.

1) There is a new Clearwire modem that handles RF interferance better.
2) There are new Clearplugs that keep a connection better. They are not impacted as badly by power surges or other electric use in the house.
3) The RF signal Clearwire uses is NOT line of sight, so sometimes pointing away from the tower actually improves your signal
4) The RF signal is greatly impacted by metal so metal mesh screens and window frames cause problems. Try putting the modem in the window on top of the lower pane.

After getting the new modem, I got 5 bars and my speed increased as follows

del 2006-02-12 07:00:37 Speed test @ dslreports-west1.speakeas 677/136 kbps
del 2006-02-10 17:19:31 Line quality 0% loss latency 62.9ms View..
del 2006-02-10 17:08:19 Speed test @ dslreports-west1.speakeas 709/198 kbps
del 2006-02-09 16:56:49 Speed test @ dslreports-west1.speakeas 587/158 kbps

I must say first that I had the best customer service and install experience ever when I got Clearwire. I have had dialup since I last got frustrated with BellSouth DSL. I finally had to upgrade and I called Clearwire. The account executive was at my house the same day setting up Clearwire and he spent over an hour at the house, looking for the best place to place the modem/antenna.

I couldnt put the antenna where I wanted it because it is a directional antenna and must be pointed straight at the correct cell phone tower and I didnt have a router yet. Again customer service was great and the account executive gave me (free) equipment.

Clearwire does not give the speed of cable, so if you are willing to pay for Comcast, Clearwire is not for you. If you want an economy priced highspeed internet, then Clearwire is the same price of economy Bellsouth but it is faster; the economy plan is 512/128. It is a good deal if you only want to pay $24/month and twice the speed of the comparable Bellsouth DSL plan.

My recent speeds have been:
446/71 kbps
367/73 kbps
370/54 kbps
351/68 kbps
242/114 kbps

Comments:

Review by francoisatl1 See Profile

• Location: Atlanta,Fulton,GA
Good "IT WORKS THE SPEED THE COST"
Bad "NOPE"
Overall "I LOVE IT"

well i have had at&t in Atlanta for over 5 years and every month the service has been down for days i work from home and need my internet

so i started looking for new internet service and called Comcast and they want you to bundle everything or they charge you an arm and a leg so then i saw that clear was in Atlanta went online talked to the CS and they told me the tower was 1 block from my house i looked out the office window and yes i see it so i told them i need to think about i came back to DSL REPORTS read every post about CLEAR and then i ordered it it came in 1 day i got the home service and the mobile service unlimited $55 a month the home service came by FedEx the usb for mobile came UPS took like 5 min to get it all up and running i am running 2 Macs an xbox 2 magicjacks and my dish off of the home service and it all just WORKS oh plus on the home service my box is getting 5 lights so that is good

well i hope CLEAR keeps working for me so far i like the service

4-14-2010

Well i still love it still getting crazy speeds better than when i had AT&T

and we had a good rain storm and i still had 5 bars so very happy i also used my CLEAR on the go usb in a meeting i had and it was great

OCTOBER 20 2010

Well we are still going strong with our Clear we have not had an outage or anything i still love the service and i have traveled to Vegas & Chicago and my Clear has worked with no problems at all i was at a meeting outside of Chicago like in the sticks and i was like let me see if this place is on the Clear map and it was not but i plugged in the Clear on the go and well it worked so i must say i DO LOVE CLEAR i will say sometimes my clear at home will update its self in the middle of the day takes like 2 min so i go get a coffee (work from home) would think it would update like at 2am but that is fine so i am still happy with my clear just turn on MIA & SFO i have trips soon and i HATE HOTEL INTERNET

Comments:

Review by GadgetVirtu See Profile

• Location: Fort Worth,Tarrant,TX
Good "Clearspots work well when they work"
Bad "Spotty coverage"
Overall "Works well if there's coverage where you need it."

Bought this as a substitution to the wifi at my college. When it works it great but I frequently have poor speeds, lose coverage when driving around town (Fort Worth & Dallas). Don't get me wrong the Clearspot hotspots are great for my iPad Touch, iPad and laptop. If Clear could provide reliable data coverage I might start considering dropping the data plan on my Android. Don't even think about getting Clear without the ability to use 3G if you will depend upon Clear. 3G is slow but works for the essentials.

Comments:

Review by sven_kirk3 See Profile

• Location: Lithia Springs,Douglas,GA
Good "Can reset modem remotley.I'm not in a contract, and I'm leaving ASAP"
Bad "Unknown Caps, customer service NOT 24/7, frequent outages,"
Overall "I'M GONE...LEFT FOR DSL...."

I live outside the supported home modem area and I am pretty satisfied, excluding gaming.

Pre-sales...2...Yuck. Do not even try to sign up online if you are not in the supported areas.
Go into one of the authorized retailers, and have them come out and test the signal.
I only wanted a home modem, due to 5gig caps with the travel modem. A retailer should be able to sell you a home modem. I was able to.

Install...5... One of the easiest install ever. Getting optimal signal is another story. Since I am 'out of range' for normal signal, I am not too picky.

Reliability...4... Been pretty good. Only time I have been dropped was in 2 heavy downpours.
Speeds vary. From 1meg up to 4meg I am on the 1.5meg plan. Good for streaming but NOT GAMING!!!!

Tech support....2...STUPID!!! Outsourced!!! Will repeat scripts (as will any other company these days).
***Don't bother changing your modem password. They will change it. I don't know why they do this.
***If your modem shows signal, but no internet. Reset your modem.

Services...4...The dude abides. Ping sucks for gaming

Value...5...Pretty good.
DO NOT DO A CONTRACT PEOPLE.
The math does not support it. Not to mention if it takes a huge chunk away from the ETF.

***edited for spelling errors.

===========================================================
Update 10-07-10

Now with the latest stuff going on with all the 'non-capped' speeds, I am leaving this sinking ship. Especially with AT&T DSL now in my area.
Customer support is even worse now. I thought that could not be possible, but it is. I halfway feel bad for them because their hands are probably tied, and then getting tons of calls on top of it.
Reliability is even worse. If a tower goes down after phone support closes, you are hosed. I would have waited on hold for 30 minutes at midnight to get everything fixed, but no option for that.
Stupid modem drops you every one or two day to renew your 'lease' on the tower at the most inopportune times.
I hate giving anybody a low score but they forced me to.

==========================================================
UPDATE 10-15-10
Called in to cancel. They asked me why. Better speeds, reliability, and (promo) cost with AT&T.
They asked what could be done to save me. I recommended for better tech support and better consistency with speeds/ping. Would have loved to see a program that could tell you you speed and signal in the system tray. Even if it ran every 15 minutes.
Oh well. Done and gone.