Clearwire Wireless page on DSLReports

Review by CompTech210 See Profile

• Location: San Antonio,Bexar,TX
Good "Decent Speeds for the Price"
Bad "Speeds Vary"
Overall "It Works"

·AT&T DSL Service
Service has been discontinued as the office plan we originally started with was removed and it wasn't worth it for no static IP and erratic speeds.

Comments:

Cane4ever

@comcast.net

Clear

We go the stick and so far everything is A ok!

Review by cmarslett See Profile

• Location: Pflugerville,Travis,TX
Good "FAST, EASY setup. No contract, cheap install ($50)."
Bad "Storms do take it out (wireless, y'know)"
Overall "After several months, I am even more satisifed than when I started"

·Clear Wireless
·NetTalk
·T-Mobile US
The standard Clear package for my location is 3-6 Mbit (estimated, not guaranteed) using a wireless modem/router (refurb, $49). Initially, corporate VPN got about 480 Kbps, most FTP transfers get about 1.5 Mbps, Netflix worked, and the flash speed test typically reported 3.3 Mbps up, 1 Mbps down. I am paying $52/mo, a bit more than AT&T DSL, but it works all the time!

Bought the modem at Fry's, brought it home and plugged it in. Can't get much simpler. Modem is a Motorola 25725 black monolith.

After several months, the connection has settled down (maybe they had a lot of sales last summer?). Early on connections varied a lot. Sometimes no connection (say 20 hours the first 3 months), sometimes 8-9 Mbit down and 1-2 Mbit up. I have had about 2 hours down in the last three months and haven't seen a connection above 5 Mbit down. Uploads are still 1-2 Mbit. Which suits me fine.

Mostly I notice how easy everything is, I did do some moving of the modem around the house to find the best spot, but that runs rings around the hassles of getting a cable or DSL connection to work in this house. Since one early speed test (where I got 13.2/0.9 Mbps) I consistently do not get download speeds as fast as my DSL, or upload speeds as slow as my DSL connection gave me.

Well after 6 months it just stays the same (no chance of that with AT&T). If I get the urge, I may try Suddenlink, but I'll never go back to AT&T with their poor reliability and regular price increases. So I raised my ratings a bit, but otherwise no real changes.

member for 7.7 years, 160 visits, last login: a few hours ago
updated 1 year ago

Comments:
cmarslett

join:2006-11-22
Pflugerville, TX
·Clear Wireless
·NetTalk
·T-Mobile US
·Clearwire Wireless

Reliability is so-so

I've had two bouts of connectivity loss in 3 weeks (about 3 hours each). The first was in the middle of a storm, the second early Monday morning a week later (maybe when they replace the backup hardware on the tower?). Before and after the two failures, I have gotten better upload bandwidth than my AT&T DSL, and almost as good download bandwidth. In between I got about half that.

Anyway, I'm still satisfied.
aromack

join:2006-06-08
Delhi, CA

Worst ever

If you go over 10gig during a months service in my area, your connection is throttled to the point you can not do anything but view webpages and check email. Forget about doing that if more then one person in the house wants to do the same. down rate drops to a low as .025mbps. If I could get a land line of any type in the area I live i would! Dial-up would be better then Clear! I have had their service since April 4th of last year and have not once ever gotten close to the 6mbps advertised speed. I am only 1.2 miles from their antenna and I have external professionally installed antenna aimed at it.
WiMAX RSSI: -50 dBm
WiMAX CINR: 21 dB
If you have any other choices in your area I highly suggest avoiding clear like a Zombie leper on crack!

Review by ronnotel See Profile

• Location: Wilmette,Cook,IL
Good "Fast, easy install, slick customer service web site"
Bad "none so far"
Overall "check coverage overlay map in store before buying"

I have been waiting years and I am finally ready to cut the last wired service extending into my home (AT&T subscriber phone service). I signed up for Clear's home internet + voice for $55/month. Installation was a snap and I get five bars when I position the modem near my window. Upload/download speed is 3.5M/1.1M which is far better than the SpeakEasy DSL I am replacing (which was $55/mo all on it's own). Service quality seems to be highly dependent on location. Being near the tower helps, but the service is quasi-directional. If you are directly in the path of one of your tower antenna's three horns you will do better. Clear has a Google Maps overlay you can see in their store that will give you an idea of exactly what kind of signal strength you will get - it's worth a trip to find out before you sign up.

BTW, Clear's VoIP has some cool features - such as vmail to email, selective call screening, etc.

May 2010 - have had the service for four months now and it's all good so far. Signal has never dipped below four bars, even during heavy downpour or snow. I have had to reboot the wimax modem a couple of times but no biggie, have never had an outage that I could prove was due to Clear. We have used the phone for a lot of international calling (screening au pair candidates) and the rates are crazy cheap. As long as signal strength is good in your location then I can strongly recommend.

May 2013 - Three years on and I guess I'm one of the lucky ones - perhaps because I'm directly in one of the tri-corn paths of my local tower and get a solid signal. I probably get one or two issues every six months requiring a modem reboot or a call to Clear. However, the issue almost always goes away before I can get someone on the line. I watch a lot of HBO TO GO and streamed movies from Amazon. Most of the time the show goes through uninterrupted, with perhaps 1 in 10 times I get some minor buffering. Overall I'm pretty happy and would hate, hate, hate to have to a get my service from devil spawn such as AT&T, etc.

Comments:

Review by SanAntonioTx See Profile

• Location: San Antonio,Bexar,TX
Good "Only if you live with in 2,000 feet of the nearest sprint tower"
Bad "You get what you pay for"

This is one of the worst 4g providers how ever when you do get a signal the data is Unlimited the only time you will see past 10mbps is at night time at 4 am unless the local cell phone tower *sprint* tower is not over congested by the unlimited data users best speed i've ever seen on clear wire was back in 2010 26mbps down and 1.5mbps up now today if lucky I'll see 12mbps down and 1.5mbps up

if you have no other options and a very tight budget and don't really stream anything and for basic internet clear wire would be good for you

Comments:
awasser1

join:2004-03-30
Bloomfield, CT

re: Clearwire Review

yes thats about right. good accurate review

ken new York

Re: re: Clearwire Review

I absolutely hate the clear 4g service i live an go to school in the middle of nrw york and have yet to see the 4-g hotspot actually work at 4g speed or 3g speed for that matter hell just getting it to work at all without losing signal is a job in an of itself i can't wait for the day something better comes along im switching asap

Review by paule123 See Profile

• Location: Cleveland,Cuyahoga,OH
Good "When network isn't busy, it's great, and no caps!"
Bad "In congested areas speed is pretty bad, worse than 3G"
Overall "Good bang for the buck if network not overloaded"

Originally purchased the Clear 4G Mobile USB (PXU190) on the $45/month plan, no contract, purchased modem for $79. Received modem overnight, installed, and was up and running quickly. Had trouble with a dead zone in the DC area, so I decided to cancel service. Clear's website is great for information on ordering and support, but surprise - there's no way to cancel or suspend your account. I submitted a support request to that effect, but never got a response. So thumbs down to Clear when it comes to terminating service on a month to month plan.

Anyhow, I ended up keeping the account open so I could test for my business in Cleveland. Cleveland launched service in November 2010, and the speeds are great since there are no users on the network here yet. I upgraded my account online to the $52 plan and the 6M speed cap was removed instantly. Routinely getting at least 10M down / 1M up. Had some downtime last week, it appears the new tower near me died overnight for a few hours (no signal)

Now, the bad news. I took this Clear modem to downtown Chicago and the speeds were pretty bad. The uplink speed was a pathetic modem like speed of 50 or 60Kbps. Download speeds were jumping around 1-3Mbps. I had the same experience when I returned to Washington DC in an area with good signal. So, it seems when Clear gets popular and the network busy, performance can suffer dramatically.

I did a side by side shootout at these locations (Cleveland, Chicago, DC) with the new Verizon Pantech UML290 4G LTE modem, and I have to say the VZW LTE blows away Clear. LTE speeds are typically in the 12M+ down and 2-5M up range. (we shall see if this changes when VZW's 4G network gets busy) Clear should really consider increasing the upload cap to at least 2M on the more expensive plans if they want to compete with LTE.

Update Sept 2012: We've found Clear 4G (WiMax) signal penetration inside large buildings to be quite poor. Unless you're near a window, it doesn't work well. VZW 4G LTE has been our go-to when travelling around the country because the 700MHz signal penetrates buildings quite well.

Comments:

Dissatisfied

@lincolnassoc.com

Save yourself the time

The salesperson told me that they covered my area and there was actually a tower right down the road. He signed me up for the wrong service. After more than an hour with "customer service" they tell me that service is not available in my area. Thirty minutes later I am finally able to can the service.

Review by UnKown See Profile

• Location: Lake Worth,Palm Beach,FL
Good "fast"
Bad "spotty coverage"
Overall "if it works in ur area its worth a try"

Ive got the boost mobile 4g phone that uses clearwires WiMAX. Its good where it works bit the coverage área is shotty, and the ping is Great. Speeds are always above 5mbit nd always getting 1.5mbit on the upload

member for 11.9 years, 1945 visits, last login: 40 days ago

Comments:

Review by yates See Profile

• Location: Norwalk,Fairfield,CT
Good "A great secondary internet connection for working on the road or when my primary internet fails"
Bad "Clear's coverage isn't as broad as I would like"
Overall "Definitely worth it, but check to make sure they cover the areas where you need to use it."

I have a primary internet connection at my home through my cable provider, but it isn't always the most reliable. That, combined with the fact that I am on the road for meetings somewhat often and Clear's promise of unlimited internet at a decent price, made their offer seem worth it. I purchased their Voyager Hotspot and the 1.5Mb/s ($35/month) plan. It arrived in a few days and worked right out of the box.

Overall, I've been pretty happy with it. I typically get slightly better speeds than I pay for. While their wireless coverage isn't as extensive as I would like in a perfect world, Clear does have coverage in most of the places that I find myself, bu this is something worth looking into before signing up for their service.

Comments:

bryant in wi

@clearwire-dns.net

clearwire sucks

ummmm! where to start well lets just say its the worst internet provider there is hours upon hours talking to the support team gets you nothing.there speed is slow as molasses. swear to god dial up is faster cant wait for november to get here to wash my hands of this god awful service wouldn't recommend them to my worst enemy well maybe

DavisCA

Re: clearwire sucks

Not really. Only for some people. For many of us it works just like this user. I use it at home and it's rock solid! I get better speeds than i pay for too.
aromack

join:2006-06-08
Delhi, CA

Re: clearwire sucks

Ya if you live in a invested area! (A area that has several towers that they invested in). If you live in a area like I do only 2 towers with 3 clear antenna shared by 5 -10 other antenna per tower ...well lets just say clear is clearly over promising once again on what it can deliver. Oh wait ...didn't they already get sued for the same exact issue than file BK an now like a weed sprout up under a different dba to over promise once again? I literally only use my internet 5x per week and that is to check email and play a mmo for about 30 minutes.
My total bandwidth usage for a month is 900 + or - 20-60 megs. Yet Clear throttles my connection so badly that in the time I have spent trying to write this review I have had to copy it to the clipboard and refresh several times. Clearly avoid Clear and their blatant lies about unlimited internet.

Clear scam

clear sucks

@bhn.net
I couldnt have said it any better....not only does the internet suck ass. why is it that it saids press 1 for englis then u press 1 and you still cant understand the person on the other end. The they did a transaction on my credit card at 3:33 in the morning with out my permission. Im asleep at that time so i did not give them permission of any kind. My lawyer said that is fruad and theft. I agree with you and im gonna tell everyone. I own a pizza shop and we deliver to about 10,000 people a month and on my boxes will be a not posted to all my customer how shity they are and they are nothing but thiefs.

accountant

@spcsdns.net

Re: clearwire sucks

hey thanks for a great review and help me to avoid these thieves I have dealt with other companies like this and doing my best to avoid them are always check the reviews keep it up!

Review by xmayx22 See Profile

• Location: Rosemead,Los Angeles,CA
Good "Greats Speed, Good Customer Service, Decent Price"
Bad "Internet Outrage once months but most of the time is reliable"
Overall "Is a great internet service for everyday use"

I have been using Clear 4g unlimited internet for almost 1 year now. The installing was easy and fast. The equipment was good I recently upgrade my modem M to hub express. The speed is not bad for me. I usually get around 3-9 MB. The slowest I got 1.5, that not a bad speed. A least is better then ATT 768 kbps I used to have. I would have to say is good internet when you live in right area. I heard there are some people get throttled for using that much but it never happen for me. I typically use around 150 gb per month and never get throttled. Sorry for grammar error because English is my 2nd language.

Here my clear speed:

»www.speedtest.net/result/1949593673.png

Comments:
blockwar38

join:2012-06-10
Minneapolis, MN

RE: I agree very fast

I just bought a USB modem yesterday so far so very good. I usually get 9 - 13.5Mbps DL & 3Mbps UL on one occasion I got 18.91Mbps DL & 1.51Mbps UL. I've been satisfied with the service, but Im also cautious of what could happen with my dl speed.
usingnutz

join:2011-06-08
Porterville, CA

Re: RE: I agree very fast

wait till your banned for going over the unlimiteds limit.youll love them then

Review by catkisson See Profile

• Location: Lynnwood,Snohomish,WA
Good "Cheap and fast internet, when its working"
Bad "When its not working it sucks really bad:("
Overall "Wouldn't be my first choice, but the price was right"

The speed I get most of the time is equal to what I would get if I had Frontier dsl, the ping times are a hit or a miss with Clearwire. Some nights watching Netflix is unbearable:( Comcast or Frontier FiOS would've been my first choices, but when my wife signed us up for Dish Network the guy on the phone coned my wife into it without consulting my first:( I will give more updates as time goes on, I am hoping the service will get better as time goes on...but we shall see.

member for 3.3 years, 480 visits, last login: 1 year ago

• Location: Boise,Ada,ID
Good "little down time"
Bad "all maps centered in WA due to connections--no good if you don't live in Bellvue"

I have had clearwire for about a year. Whenever I search=2C use a map prog=
ram it refers to Bellvue WA. Since I live in Idaho this is a problem. I =
contacted clear and was told that due to thier base being in Bellvue there =
was no way to change it. Other providers are able to let a person set thie=
r location---what is the difficulty with clear. The inconvience is great a=
nd slow productivity. Will probably search for new provider to fix this te=
ch difficulty. Clear needs to fix this.

Ellie

(review was emailed from domain msn.com)

Comments:

mel

clear support

i have been a customer for over a year and have been completely satisfied until now. i purchased two devices in feb. 2011 love them works wonderful.in august i got a third device for a family member who had a tablet. once they no longer needed the device i tried to return it and they are telling me i have to pay an early termination fee even though i supposedly have no contract. the device works poorly and i barely use it they wont replace it unless i pay for a new one. i dont want another one i have two that work fine. customer service is no help at all and even though i've been satisfied until now, customer service never was any good.i have paper work showing it was month to month and can i fax them a copy to resolve this issue and was told i couldnt be helped on their end and they couldnt connect me to anyone who could. so im stuck with an unusable device that i have to pay to not use and pay to give back