Charter VOIP page on DSLReports

Review by rhavasy See Profile

• Location: North Grafton,Worcester,MA
Good "Flawless ordering & install."
Bad "None so far."
Overall "Happy and saving money."

I've had Charter cable and internet for about 5 years. This summer we finally decided to take advantage of some promotional pricing for a complete package and switch over for phone service too.

The ordering process was easy and the representative on the phone was very helpful and knowledgeable. Without asking she made sure to price out both the promotional price and the ultimate price after the promotional period with taxes included. She was efficient and the whole process took me about 10 minutes, including scheduling a cable card install for my new TiVo at the same time. She gave me the option to have both appointments the same day or have the TiVo install faster and the phone when the number switch was complete. I opted for a single install.

They confirmed the appointment the night before and called again the morning of the appointment to see if they could come early. How often does that happen. The tech who showed up did the cable card install and that took 10 minutes. There was a different tech scheduled to do the phone who had the equipment. He showed up about an hour later (still during the promised window) and started the phone install. That took about 15 minutes total. The Arris MTA sycnhed immediately and everything worked perfectly. This tech also took the time to clean up some shoddy ground connections hanging about and even re-tagged the wires coming from the pole.

After a little more than a week, call quality is excellent, and all services work fine. After a couple of years, I can say that phone is the only reliable service that Charter provides. Even while cable channels drop and Internet connectivity fails, the phone keeps working.

Overall, there was really no downside ... the entire process was easy and everything worked perfectly the first time.

member for 13.7 years, 461 visits, last login: 3.5 years ago

Comments:

Review by dwah See Profile

• Location: Talent,Jackson,OR
Good "Reliable service, clear voice, reliable connection, fairly quick response C/S"
Bad "Bundled features missing some important ones, voicemail cumbersome"
Overall "Recommended"

I have been using Charter VOIP for at least a year now. The service has been reliable and the line is clean--conversations are crystal clear. I would judge that it has been at least as good as POTS. I have had to reboot my modem perhaps 2-3 times in the entire time I've had the service.

My only gripes are around voicemail access and the included feature set. I find the menu for voicemail navigation very difficult to remember and use--it automatically saves a message after a very short pause and the key commands have no mnemonic relations that I can find. Calling in from an outside line requires that you enter *5 and then the phone number and then the password, very difficult to do while trying to check messages from a cell phone. And the remote commands are different than the home commands.

3-way calling is not included in the basic package and costs extra to activate. The caller id does not seem to work for call-waiting.

Customer service has been easy to access and fairly helpful. I am more frequently calling them about my data line than about the phone. Installation was painless, done within a few days of my order and easily tying into my existing phone lines.

I got the service on one of their promotions, currently $20 including equipment rental, which only runs for 6-12 months. This requires that I call at the end of the term to see what they can offer. That said, my price actually went down from $30 to $20 at the last round (I got basic cable TV for the other $10). I would prefer that they would just lock in a reasonable rate without the shenanigans.

member for 14.1 years, 146 visits, last login: 1.1 years ago

Comments:

Review by M3 Pete See Profile

• Location: Agoura Hills,Los Angeles,CA
Good "Sound quality good - when it works"
Bad "Calls drop constantly as internet connection is intermittent"
Overall "Looking for another provider"

I live in Agoura Hills, CA. I left AT&T DSL because I was tired of their internet cutting out periodically during the day, the modem seemed to reset constantly. And their standard phone service sucked too, massive static and low volume despite all DSL filters in place.

So I signed up for Charter Duo, $60 for internet and VOIP. Good deal.

The cable modem is Ambit, the telephone modem (MTA) is Arris TM602A

When it's working, speeds are OK, 17809 Kb/s down and 1004 Kb/s up, with 16 ms latency right now. Sound quality on calls is excellent, no echo or static, they are loud and clear.

The problem is the intermittent internet connection. It's always going out for a few seconds to a minute, and when it does, it drops the VOIP call. When surfing the internet, it shows up as sites that won't load. This happens multiple times a day, sometimes multiple times an hour.

The dropped calls are so annoying that we are going to switch when we move to a new house next month. It's totally aggravating to be on a call and have it disappear without even a click. Just silence.

Trying to decide what company to go with, since I didn't like AT&T DSL either. Can't get UVerse or FIOS at the new house.

Comments:

Review by deckrunr See Profile

• Location: Agoura Hills,Los Angeles,CA
Good "loud and clear, promo price"
Bad "features and 411/intl rates as compared to VOIP providers"
Overall "step up from ilec, value"

I like that the VOIP adapter has it's own dedicated built-in cable modem and bandwidth. The calls are loud and clear.

I use Chater as line-2, and only for outbound calling to US, Canada, and Puerto Rico numbers. I need to find out if Charter will let me change the outbound caller-id to my line-1 number. For now, I mostly just block caller-id.

My inside wiring is set to my line-1 ATA which routes most outgoing calls to the Charter adapter. Charter line-2 has call-fowarding set to my line-1 number.

411 is routed to Google411. International calls also routing to different providers.

Comments:

Review by chaud See Profile

• Location: Anderson,Anderson,SC
Good "Good quality, easy to install if you don't have an alarm"
Bad "Expensive after promo"
Overall "Well worth it for the 12 month promo"

·Charter
I switched from Packet8, picked it up for $30 a month with a 12 month promo, allowing me to upgrade other services and still save money. The installer wanted to drill holes through my wall and run wires to the outside box, but I had a phone splitter and was able to just set the box on my desk. The call quality so far as been excellent and no downtime that we have noticed. Several options are there for control by the phone, but it would be nice if they could be changed online as well.

member for 9.7 years, 3570 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by drbill28 See Profile

• Location: Pomfret Center,Windham,CT
Good "clear calls, no downtime, not dependent on internet"
Bad "cost"
Overall "Good service if you have poor cell phone reception."

I was considering just skipping this service and going to Vonage. But the promo rate was the same and I can bring the phone number if I decide to switch up in the future. The install was smooth done same time as all my other services in under 20 minutes.

Comments:

Review by pomfret See Profile

• Location: Pomfret Center,Windham,CT
Good "100% reliability since installation"
Bad "No inbound toll-free options, had to purchase MTA battery"
Overall "Cheaper than AT&T with more features"

Phone service is packaged with our CBN HSI account and setup about 16 months ago.

- Only problem was a service order mis-entry which setup our second phone # as a ring-to on the primary line instead of assigning it as a secondary line. Tech was having a great time trying to figure out why there was no dial tone on the second port of the MTA.

- Zero reliability issues with phone service since installation.

- Voice quality is as good as, if not better than the POTS service it replaced.

- Saved money over AT&T for the same two lines and have more features with Charter.

- Charter still doesn't offer inbound toll-free, though I'm told it should be coming soon (tm).

member for 12.1 years, 1380 visits, last login: 231 days ago

Comments:

Review by chaddles00 See Profile

• Location: Madison,Dane,WI
Good "Free Long Distance, Features, and Reliability"
Bad "Confusing Website, Small Delay"
Overall "Great Service"

We ordered our Charter Telephone as part of a package with HSI and Digital CATV. The package was promoted at $129.99 (for 12 months) and they even included the 10M/1M, instead of the 5M/512k along with the package. The package with assosciated fees and taxes turns out to be about $165.00. We moved to the area, went to our local office, we got an install date 5 days after requesting service. The installation went off without a hitch, he called to verify the appointment and stayed until everything was working. Oh yeah, due to everything was still in boxes he even was nice enough to give us a set of VTech telephones to use our service with (we were never charged for these).

I was skeptical because the line he brought into our apartment was connected to a four way splitter. Now, I have a little bit of experience in this and what is suppose to happen is the the telephone is to have a dedicated line but, I let it go. Three days later I come home to find out the telephone is not working, so I take a look at the Aris modem to find out that it kept resetting on its own. So, I began to troubleshoot. First, I did a power cycle...no go. Then I unhooked the main line from the splitter and connected to the Aris modem...no go.

After looking at it baffled for a bit and putting the hookup back the way it was, I decided to call the customer service. I was on hold for about 6-7 minutes on a Thursday at about 8 pm, not so horrible (I have seen much, much worse). I got on the line to find that my call was routed successfully through the IVR, (because the IVR will listen as long as you do). I explained my issue and what the VOIP modem was doing currently to have her tell me that is my cable internet modem...fail. I did not have the heart to tell her that my son was playing on Noggin.com at the time, with the use of the fully lit ever so reliable MotoSB4100. So, I let her string me along to find out that I needed a technician to come out to the apartment. She of course attempted to sell me wire maintenence, explaining to me if it an inside wiring issue that I may be charged...fail number 2. It is policy that within 30 days of service any technical issue or service change can be done at no charge. However, I did not argue. She setup the truck to come out the next day...which worked. It turns out that the Aris modem fried and they replaced it.

I am on my second month of service from Charter Communications and Internet is steady at approx. 9400kbps/961kbps. No outages or loss of service. Only thing that from time to time that fails is the VOD and the dreaded E1303 error. I just power cycle the cable box, I belive its a DCT2100 (the Moto size of a Discman) and 10 min viola VOD is back.

I see a lot of Dish Network (almost every apartment and every house) within eyesight customers, where I live. And I know the area has a history of being bad, but so far so good and I am confident that it will continue.

Anyone who is thinking about getting cable services it is a good idea. Just make sure that you educate yourself on the products, figure out what the price will be once a package (promotional) price expires and if somthing goes wrong to report it and don't lose your cool with the reps, think about how you would feel if one of you direct customers walked on to your productions floor and demanded somthing you have no control over. Kudos to Charter for this customer.

Comments:

Review by goduke See Profile

• Location: Lincolnton,Lincoln,NC
Good "Crystal Clear Calls! Calling features"
Bad "None so far"
Overall "Charter Telephone is better that POTS in my area"

Called the call center and ordered Charter Telephone service about 9 months ago. The installation went smooth and quick. Charter uses a seperate Modem for the telephone service than the Internet. This is good, because if you have issues with your internet, and need to power cycle the modem or have Charter reset it, you don't loose your phone in the processes. Other cable companies don't do this, it's all in the same box.

Charter came out an installed an Arris VoIP modem, placed it were I wanted it. They wanted to mount it to the wall, but asked them not to and that was not a problem either. This modem has an option for a battery back-up. I went on their website and ordered the battery for 30 bucks, and installed it myself when it arrived. It has about a 5-6 hour battery life once the power goes out. This means your phone works when the power has failed. You could buy a UPS for it, but they can be pricey, and for 30 bucks it was cheap enough to get the battery.

The line quality was truly impressive. It was dead silent on calls. No crackle, no pops, no hummmmmm no static at all. I had all that with Bellsouth/AT&T.

Calling features. I have them all for no extra charge. Caller ID, Call Waiting, Call Waiting Caller ID, 3 way calling, Voice Mail, The list goes on. Bellsouth charges extra for these features. Unlimited Long Distance Calling for Free is a plus too! If you need international calling, they have that also.

VoIP is a little misleading when it comes to Charter Telephone. It's not a true VoIP system, like Vonage, which is good. Charter Telephone uses Charters internal network over IP. After that your signal is sent over a traditional phone network, to the other party. This means that your phone conversation/data is NEVER sent out over the public internet. That is a good thing.

E9-1-1 services work just like you would expect them to. If you call 9-1-1, they will have your Name, Address, and Phone number. Something that some true VoIP compainies can't offer.

I have only had 1 phone outage since having the service, and that was due to an ice storm that took down lines. Not really Charters fault. Therefore I have never had to call Charter Tech Support for their telephone service.

Comments:

Review by kerrigjl See Profile

• Location: Saint Louis,Saint Louis City,MO
Good "Cheap"
Bad "Customer Service Failed Me"
Overall "Initial Problems, Once installed works fine"

Was supposed to have Charter phone installed yesterday between 1pm and 5pm. 4:30 rolls around, and I don't get the phone call to confirm or anything, so I call into the number at the top of the online order confirmation. The person I speak with says that the tech should be there by 5. At 5:10, I call back to the same number, and the CSR says that I need to call the 888-GET-CHAR number to figure it out. Doing so, it has me confirm my appointment and then hangs up on me. I call back, and press the option that the tech hasn't shown up. I speak with a woman who puts me on hold for 7 minutes only to come back and tell me there was a problem with third party verification and she has to transfer me to someone else to complete the order. The person to whom I was transferred said that there wasn't a problem and that a tech should be by by 5:45pm and if no one showed by 6pm, to call back. Called back at 6:01 and was unable to get through until 6:35 (the phone system kept hanging up on me after saying "Please Wait" over and over) when I called from my cell-phone. The person said that there was a problem with the third party verification and that it had to be repeated and that the service appointment would have to be rescheduled - there was never a tech assigned to do the install that day anyway, despite the fact that we were NEVER notified that there would be a problem. Missing a shift of work takes some money out of the bank for no reason. To top it off, they can't install until two weeks from Friday (12/21) because it takes 5 days to complete the third-party verification on their end. They'd better believe I'm gonna be on the phone every day making sure that a tech is, indeed, coming on 12/21 before I wait around all day.

12/21 Update: everything went smoothly with the install and the service seems to be pretty good. We'll see about reliability, etc, over the next few months.

member for 11.6 years, 1078 visits, last login: 1.1 years ago