Comcast Business Class page on DSLReports

Review by justbits See Profile

• Location: Chicago,Cook,IL
Good "Fast. Provides static IPv4 for servers."
Bad "Dynamic price changes hidden in contract! Tons of junk mail about Upware. Free web SiteBuilder account lost after an "
Overall "Good enough but what I really want is residential service with 1 to 5 static IP addresses."

I run servers, so I need static IPv4 addresses. Really, I only need static IPv4 addresses for my email services and DNS services. Everything else is dynamic capable.
I was using AT&T Business DSL. I got tired of the slow speeds and the fact that AT&T U-verse passed my neighborhood by 1 block.
First, I tried Comcast Residential Blast, $40/mo. That was totally awesome! However, Comcast Residential claimed they offered static Internet IPs, but were totally clueless about what that actually means. (They confused private LAN with public Internet.)
Annoyed with the price difference, but more upset with AT&T, I moved to Comcast Business Class Internet.
So, I ordered 12/2. After a few months, I was automatically upgraded to 16/3.
The supplied equipment is the SMCD3GCCR, which is the only modem they claim supports public static IP addresses.
Installation was painless, since I had previously tried Comcast Residential service.

The equipment rental fee cannot be avoided for static IP service. That's bullshit.
The equipment rental fee increased from $5 to $9/mo and there isn't a way to break contract when they do this. These unrestricted price increases are bullshit.

No IPv6 for static IP addresses yet… and it looks like when they do offer static IPv6 they are going to charge a monthly fee. That's bullshit. Other providers are offering free static IPv6 tunnels!

When there are clearly defined problems, contacting Comcast Business via »forums.businesshelp.comcast.com/ will get you pretty quick service response.

There was a DNS and expired Outlook certificate issue that were handled within 1 business day of notifying Comcast of the problem. Fact of the matter though is neither problem should have occurred in the first place.

The free SiteBuilder account was lost after a recent 'service upgrade' that Comcast performed, without notifying customers.

updated 1 year ago

Comments:

Review by Trevor See Profile

• Location: Sultan,Snohomish,WA

Due to bandwidth caps enforced at the time on Comcast Residential, Business Class was the best option. In addition to dropping Comcast Residential TV, the overall bill was lower, although at a reduced speed from my previous package. I currently have the Business Starter 16/3 service. Pre-sales and initial install were absolutely painless. Originally when I purchased the package, I was forced to use the SMC gateway provided by Comcast as their rules hadn't yet opened up to allow any supported modem, such as my previously purchased Motorola SB6121. The SMC gateway was a poor piece of equipment, and Comcast had difficulty placing the device in pass-thru mode, but eventually completed the request. Roughly 6 months later, I was allowed to replace the SMC gateway with my SB6121, coordinating with customer support located out of Denver, CO. Additionally, I had no issues returning the SMC gateway to the Comcast store.

Unlike Residential service, my equipment has never been the blame of any technical issues with the service.

All service outages have been related to other customer equipment (such as VCRs) feeding back onto the line. Credits were appropriately applied when these issues occurred.

member for 1 year, 86 visits, last login: 36 days ago
lodged 1 year ago

Comments:

Review by mpritcha47 See Profile

• Location: Fremont,Alameda,CA
Good "Fast, steady internet with static IP without any bandwidth caps"
Bad "Only fast and steady when it's working"
Overall "When you're a monopoly, what choices do you have?"

I moved from Comcast Residential to Comcast Business to help with SLA issues I was having with Comcast, since I am unable to get any other kind of broadband at my location. I ordered the $200 package which only gets you 50Mbps up, 10Mbps down without any kind of bursting. Not the best when residential is twice as fast for half the price.

Order and install processes are basic for Comcast. You must sign at least a 12 month contract with a ridiculous early termination fee. (75% of what's left for the 12 months??) Comcast comes out and plugs the modem into your coax, verifies you have service and that it's working and heads out. No big deals here.

You only get the basic Comcast Business approved cable modem/router: (SMC's SMCD3G-CCR) Don't even bother trying to get your own modem on this service. The excuse I was given is they can't give a 4 hour SLA with any other modem. This modem suffers from severe buffer bloat issues, bumping up my latency if I maxed out the connection (not too difficult these days).

It's almost impossible to get your modem/router into just a bridging mode without getting a static IP. I opted for that so I could run my own routing services.

Tech calls are quick and you do get someone knowledgable who helps try to do initial troubleshooting, with a Tier 2 callback within 4 hours. Then if the issue can't be resolved, they send out the local tech VERY quickly.

I've been suffering from latency/packet loss issues that Comcast can't seem to fully resolve. But ever since I've been on the Business Class, they've done a much better job of getting me back up and running each time the issues occur.

Overall, I wish there were choices in real ISPs. Comcast is okay, but only if they don't have oversubscribed issues. Local municipalities should hold Comcast to standards, seeing as they're the ones preventing any other ISPs coming in.

Comments:

Review by Voodoo288 See Profile

• Location: Richmond,Chesterfield,VA
Good "Customer service is good. Not great, but not horrible."
Bad "Issues inside residential areas."
Overall "Recommended"

As a Network consultant I deal with Comcast not only in my office, but also in the field. Customer service is good and like other providers, get the right person and troubleshooting goes smoothly. Sadly there are folks like the technician I was meeting at a site survey for connectivity since the site did not have a physical connection. First thing he said to me "There's no cable here." *Facepalm*

If interested in Business Class make sure you know where your node is located. Ask the technician that comes to do a site survey. Shouldn't be an issue but in my location (Home Office) our node is about a half mile away and on the same power grid. We lose power and so does the node. I can power my servers fine with a generator, but no connectivity if the node is out. I've since had to move my servers to a co-location adding expenses and rendering my statics useless. The more you know...

member for 12.2 years, 5098 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by redschmed45 See Profile

• Location: San Francisco,San Francisco,CA

I have Comcast business. Whatever that means. It is very unstable. From
one day to the next, speeds vary so much I just don't understand. But for
the money it seems to be the best thing going. I live in the downtown SF
area, and there are "public" wifi signals for $20.00 a month that give
pretty good service. Very consistent. I used one for a month and I was
satisfied. Maybe I should go back to them...

Comments:
wrad

join:2003-09-11
Fort Pierce, FL

Comca$t Business

Good luck getting rid of them. I learned that my building was serviced by a private Wi-Fi for $45/ month for 10/2. Then learned Comca$t required 80% of whatever they would have gotten for the length of the contract.

Review by Spilnerfact See Profile

• Location: Phoenix,Maricopa,AZ
Good "Cost"
Bad "QOS, Tech support, Phones, Hardware"
Overall "I left this company and moved to comvoice."

I really don't know what to say, I have never been with a worse comapny in my life.

I won't go into EVERY detail but lets just say they screwed me with no lube or reach around. I have then left the company and moved to a smaller more reliable provider named comvoice.

I would highly advise everyone to stay away from comcast as they almost ruined my business with their crap phone service and internet.

Comments:

Review by wolves01 See Profile

• Location: Crystal Lake,Mchenry,IL
Good "Internet works good"
Bad "Would be nice if they gave business class a speed boost. TV add ons pricey"
Overall "Does What I need it to."

·Comcast Formerl..
I've used Comcast for my business (a small insurance agency) for about 5 years now. I had started out with phone and internet but had recently switched to VOIP for voice. The internet service has been stable and delivers enough to keep three PC's and our 3 phones working well.

We recently moved to a new location and the installation process was flawless and they came out when they promised. Had to confirm the appointment via email and phone several times. I felt that was a hassle, but I guess they don't want their tech's getting stood up.

I have the included TV package and would like to upgrade that to include some additional channels, but it is very pricey.

I am also a Comcast home user for voice, TV and internet. It would be nice if Comcast would give the business class a good speed boost similar to what I just got at home.

Comments:

Review by EverythingPC See Profile

• Location: Charleston,Charleston,SC
Good "Service for the Price (given local choices)"
Bad "Honestly all has been ok with service. Always could use more speed for the money ;)"
Overall "I recommend Business Class to my customers."

Monthly Price includes : Basic 16/3 tier ($59.99), 5-block of IPs ($19.95) Really Basic TV ($4.95), Gateway Rental ($7.00) and usual taxes and fees.

I've been a customer with this account at this address for 12-months on a 24-month contract. Think I had experienced one outage (to my knowledge) and it was at the end of the work day so it really didn't impede me (was heading out the door and saw the modem was not sync'ed, was ok within an hr when I got home and remoted into the office).

I have used Comcast Business (at two other locations) prior to this account (total of 5+ years with them overall), so I knew what to expect and what to watch out for. I have a good sales rep that I deal with regularly so was able to get what I felt was a good deal. 2yr contract (my choice to lock price) & free install.

I was a little disappointed by the increase in price for the static block (think I used to have 5-block for $10/mo) now at $20/mo. But from the sounds of it the limited number of avail IPs has driven this cost up across all ISP's. (long be the days of Static IP's to all by default).

Speed has been good. I'm on 16/3 now (recently area received upgrade from 12/2 to 16/3 on basic tier). I did have 22/5 (now 27/7) but found for the extra $40/mo it wasn't justified for my use.

Where choices where limited (in my office now it was either Comcast Biz (which had to have lines pulled to my suite) or AT&T DSL it was a no brainier. Of course I could have gone with a T1 or MetroE but for my price point it was limited to Cable or DSL.

Our office park is strange in that Comcast services my side but Knowledgy + Time Warner service the office accross the parking lot from me. When I was inquiring on services Knowledgy and Time Warner both said my address/suite was not serviceable and offered no option for a build out. IMO Comcast is the better choice anyway, but was shopping around.

Comments:

Review by Chester2 See Profile

• Location: Menlo Park,San Mateo,CA
Good "Fast, static IP's for my servers, Free Norton, No bandwith caps!"
Bad "Expensive, no USENET groups"
Overall "Worthwhile step up from DSL"

10 years ago I had Comcast internet and really liked it but when I moved Comcast wasn't available in my new neighborhood and I had to go with DSL. For the last 9 years I've had DSLExtreme 3000/512 DSL service. I've been needing more speed and was on the fastest service DSL could provide me. Enter Comcast.

I have a home office, actually 2 since my wife also has an office in our home. I need static IPs for my servers so Comcast residential was out and I had to get Comcast Business Class. My understanding is that the business internet connection is the same as the residential connection. The difference being that you can get static IPs, there are no bandwidth caps, support is supposed to be better and you get some business goodies like free MS Outlook 2007, free webspace, free domain name.

When I made my first call to Comcast Business inquiring about service they tried a hard sell on their VOIP phone service. I was actually ready to sign up then but they got me researching VOIP services to see if theirs was worth getting. Their "deal" was $25 a month for Comcast Voice service. It's big plus is that it runs separate from your internet so that big downloads won't affect voice quality. I ended up signing with VOIPo.com for about $7.50 a month. Comcast Voice is just too expensive.

I choose their basic 12000/2000 service for $60 a month. I wrangled 5 static IPs for $10 a month and got hit with a $5 equipment rental. I paid $99 install with a 2 year contract. I could have got the install for $49 with a 3 year contract and while I will probably keep the service that long I hate being tied down, especially with all the new technologies coming down the road. I'm paying $20 a month more than I was for DSL but am getting 4x the speed!

I signed the contract on Monday and was told I'd be called to arrange installation. When no one had called by Wednesday afternoon I contacted my sales rep. and he got someone to contact me Thursday. An install appointment was made for 10-2 the following Monday.

The installer arrived Monday at noon and promptly went to work. I had already installed structured wiring (phone, ethernet, coax) that junctions in the garage. From there he tested each cable line running into the house and found one that was bad. I pulled the cable running from the wall to the TV and replaced it with one the installer cut to fit and all was well. He also determined that I didn't need the amplifier that had been installed in an attempt to fix a weak signal years ago. One less thing to be plugged in made me happy. I was given a SMCD3G Docsis 3 router/modem. I was glad to get this as most people with 12/2 service get a lesser model. The installer told me that they try and use the Docsis 3 modem on all installs even though they are not suppose to. The installer changed the hardware on both ends of the drop, at the house and on the pole. He also installed a little note on the line telling residential technitions not to disconnect the line as it has business service on it. I found it amusing that when he called Comcast to get my static IPs he was on hold waiting for an operator for quite some time. What does that say for priority business support? Once the modem was up and running the installer showed me all the line readings and did a speed test and showed the speeds with and without Powerboost. He handed me a sheet of paper with my network settings and was off. No mention was made of setting up any of my network. Once the Comcast modem/router working the rest is up to you. No residential hand holding here. Fine by me but some people may be surprised when the installer leaves without connecting their computer.

I've only been using the service for 3 days so far but the speed increase is very, VERY noticeable. I'm very happy. Plus, I am at the lowest speed tier. All I have to do is make a phone call and mail a bigger check for more speed. Until now I've been paying $60 a year for 3 Norton licenses. With Comcast Business I get 25 copies of Norton so that saves me $5 a month. I also get a free domain name and some web space which I will do some thing with.

So far I am very happy with my new Comcast service. I'll post updates if I have to use support for anything.

-- UPDATE 9-8-2011 --

I've had the service a little over a week now and the main thing I have to say is, "Why didn't I do this sooner?" Speeds are as advertised even when PowerBoost is taken out of the equation. PowerBoost does skew the most of the speed test results.

»www.speedtest.net/result/1472885855.png

»www.pingtest.net/result/46584646.png

Beyond being faster everything seems snappier. I click and bang web pages appear without the hesitation that I had with my DSL service. From pages on the web to my routers config. page, all are much quicker to load. It's not DNS because I've always used OpenDNS. I like it.

I've installed the Norton Business Suite on all my computers. It is a re-branded Norton 360 that comes with all the features of 360 except the cloud backup storage. You can still use the backup feature you just have to do it to a local disk. The software has many more features than the Norton Internet Security retail version I had been using. Upgrading was a piece of cake in that Norton gives you the option of saving all your settings when you uninstall their software so that they can be used when installing the Business Suite software.

Comcast gave me a welcome packet with a stack of business cards with their 1-800 support number on them. I taped them to all my computer equipment but haven't had reason to call yet. So far the service just works. I keep looking for things to complain about but can't find any. I should have something to complain about it is Comcast after all.

One place the service comes up short is Usenet access. Every ISP I've had in the past has included Usenet access. Comcast doesn't. I did find a free Usenet service that is almost as good as the one provided by my last ISP so I won't bitch too much about Comcast not offering it.

-- UPDATE 1-31-2013 --

I've had my Business Class Internet for well over a year now and am still quite happy. A few months ago Comcast upgraded the speed from 12/2 to 16/3. My speed tests show that I am actually getting almost 20/4 speeds. I'm very happy with the speed I'm getting for the price.

I move lots of data and it is nice to not worry about bandwidth caps. What they are and/or if they are enforced or coming back.

I've read a number of bad reviews of the Comcast Business Class service because the people state that they didn't know they were locked into a contract that is expensive to get out of. My contract had varying installation fees depending on the length of contract you signed. You want a free install your locked in for 3 years. I don't know how you could miss that.

Unless something dramatically changes I'm planning on sticking with Comcast after my contract runs out.

Comments:

Review by evmoy15 See Profile

• Location: Federal Way,King,WA
Good "Reliable, speed is alright, only one on my tap so no congestion."
Bad "sales rep was slow in getting my appt set up"
Overall "Good reliable service, phone is crystal clear."

I moved from Eastern Washington to the Seattle area and needed an internet connection. I had Comcast business previously, and save for some crappy SMC 8014 modems, it was rock solid. I gave them a call and they offered the starter 12/2 internet and phone service for 99$ a month and they would waive the $300~ install fee. The Sales rep did not mention the ETF, but I digress.

Now. Getting the service installed was a nightmare. I was supposed to get a callback in a day or two. Never happened. Sales rep ignored my calls and emails, save for one saying I would be called.

There was about 2 weeks to get it installed. Once the date was set it was great. The installers were very knowledgeable and professional, and were willing to work with my odd setup. (5th wheel trailer). They ran a new drop from the tap of the park, and installed the SMC 8014 modem and Arris EMTA, testing the speed. I am getting over my package because I am the only Comcast user on the node for my 300+ space park, maxing the 8014 at 20/5 at times.

The initial price was 99.95 a month, but Comcast offered me a 5$ discount when Verizon talked of rolling FiOS. I will be upgrading to the 27/7 plan very soon, and expect to see speeds up to 50/5, as I did on that plan with the D3G in eastern wa. The service has had one 2 hour downtime, and Comcast called me to let me know.

I use this as my primary connection in conjuction with a CenturyLink DSL connection, with a Firebox 550X hardware firewall, and it works great.

The Comcast DV has been great as well with the Visual VM, dial up modems sync great and fax works awesome.

My only gripe is the online billing system. It uses the xfinity site, and the Comcast biz portal and xfinity login are different.

Comcast also has no complaints of my usage or my hosting.

I will post a speedtest later this evening.

Comments:
ComcastBizCT

join:2013-04-21
Norwich, CT

awesome to hear you are happy.

Thank you for the review. I just recently was hired as a business account manager in Connecticut..after years of being a technician in both coax and fiber services for another MSO in CT. I can honestly say I'm pretty proud to work for this company and can't get over the fact that everywhere I go people are generally pleased with our service!