Comcast Business Class page on DSLReports

Review by smunro622 See Profile

• Location: Madison Heights,Oakland,MI

3 days from order to install, 5 static ip addresses.
about 45 mins to install and get things running

member for 8.9 years, 2087 visits, last login: a few hours ago
lodged 1 year ago

Comments:

Review by keason See Profile

• Location: Ann Arbor,Washtenaw,MI
Good "Fast, hosted exchange accounts, static IPs, good service"
Bad "expensive install on 1 & 2 year contracts, monthly fees for faster tiers"
Overall "Expensive but works well"

I ordered the 22/5 service with static IPs. It took about a week after the order was accepted to installation. Comcast gave a 4 hour windows and arrived about 1 hr later than scheduled. Hint: (Don't schedule an afternoon installation if possible!) It took less than an hour for the install, most of which was spent waiting for static IP assignment. The installer carefully matched signal strength and installed a 2 way splitter for future use.

Ping times showed a different distribution than with the dynamic residential service I had previously. Pings around Chicago averaged 25-30ms, Atlanta 60ms while Michigan were closer to 70ms with west coast pings close to 100ms. Comcast employs some strange routing logic.

Speed tests were positively inconsistent with powerboost. Downloads ranged from 55-85 Mb/sec, while uploads ranged from 5-6 Mb/sec. Sustained downloads average about 24Mb/sec, slightly better than advertised.

Comcast included an DOCSIS 3.0 SMC cable modem, configured in bridge mode. A separate box is used for a telephone connection. It worked perfectly with my firewall, unlike the Motorola 5100 DOCSIS 2 modem which was provided in a previous installation.

Overall, it worked as promised with no hassles.

Update 6 Jan 2011 - Comcast credited my account $20 for the late appointment (unsolicited). The CS in business is much better than residential. So far no glitches, drop outs, or speed issues. VoIP has worked flawlessly, and the modem has remained stable.

Update 12 Jan 2011 - Had our first outage. Called at 6pm, it was fixed at 9:30am the next day. Tech was on time and professional. It turned out that a different tech had disconnected the cable at the pole due to a residential disconnect order. The two divisions are not well coordinated. The performance difference was very noticeable compared to our ATT DSL backup - ATT constantly lagged, web pages did not load correctly, and VoIP occasionally stuttered .

Update 6 Feb 2011 - No problems or slowdowns. Speedtests have been averaging 85-95Mb down/ 5-6 Mb up at all times of the day. Sustained transfers 25Mb down/5.5Mb up.

Update 20 April 2011 - No hassles or glitches. SMC router has been very stable. Only a few momentary dropouts during the past 2 months, and no outages. Speedtests range from 15Mb/3Mb to 75Mb/6Mb depending on server used. No noticeable slowdowns during peak usage time

Update 21 May 2011 - Comcast came out again and tried to disconnect service due to a residential disconnect order. I intercepted the tech at the pole. Comcast now claims that their system is clear and it won't be disconnected again. Amazing that one outage and one near outage were caused by no communication between residential and business groups. Otherwise service working fine, powerboost still inflates speedtests. No slowdowns during peak periods.

Update 13 June 2011 - I was experiencing severe packet loss and slowdowns. Reported Sunday, was fixed on Monday. Squirrel had chewed the line.

Update 21 July 2011 - We now have upstream channel bonding. Speedtests average 80/35, and powerboost is uncapped. Uncapped powerboost is a great feature - VoIP traffic, browsing, and even some streaming services (which mostly transfer multiple small files) work very well even during long capped downloads, and we don't see much of a spike in latency when the connection is in full use.

Update 15 Jan 2012 - Well, the good stuff didn't last. Upstream bonding disappeared, Comcast started charging $7/mo for the formerly free modem (even while in contract!) , and speed is down to 15-25 down, 2-5 up on speed tests during peak hours (about 40/6 off peak). I change the 'Pre-Sale" ranking to worst as Comcast lied about the modem pricing - it was free only for the first 12 mo in a 36 mo contract! Latency is also higher during peak times. To cut costs I dropped the Static IP's and bought my own modem, and now use Dynamic DNS. Bill dropped from $127 to $100 after returning the modem and purchasing a Moto SB6120 (the only other supported modem for business class)

At least the service is still uncapped and VoIP works well. It would be nice to have the higher upstream bandwidth back.

Update 2/27/12 : Comcast added a $34 fee to switch to my own modem. They credited upon protest but acted surprised that I wouldn't pay it. Lame.

Update 6/1/12 : Comcast restored upstream bonding (4 down, 3 up) , Upstream speed tests are a little better . Used to get 80/40, then 70/8 with no bonding, now 70/12 is typical. Have had several outages but each was resolved within a few hours after calling in.

Update 2/1/13: Comcast upgraded the connection to 27/7. The increase in upload speed is much appreciated. Apart from a modem failure, connection has been pretty solid. In high use times, latency rises a bit and speed tests drop, but so far continue to exceed the 27/7 promised. Most times speed tests show around 70/30. Support has not been too helpful in diagnosing problems if you don't have their modem.

Update 11/22/13: Updated to 50/10 service, added business TV (local SD channels), and resigned contract for new $96/mo rate. Powerboost is gone, but connection runs consistently at 50/10. No outages to report so far this year. Hosted exchange continues to work well with no issues. Still pricey compared to residential since caps disappeared.

Comments:

Review by justbits See Profile

• Location: Chicago,Cook,IL
Good "Fast. Provides static IPv4 for servers."
Bad "Dynamic price changes hidden in contract! Tons of junk mail about Upware. Free web SiteBuilder account lost after an "
Overall "Good enough… but what I really want is residential service with 1 to 5 static IP addresses."

I run servers, so I need static IPv4 addresses. Really, I only need static IPv4 addresses for my email services and DNS services. Everything else is dynamic capable.
I was using AT&T Business DSL. I got tired of the slow speeds and the fact that AT&T U-verse passed my neighborhood by 1 block.
First, I tried Comcast Residential Blast, $40/mo. That was totally awesome! However, Comcast Residential claimed they offered static Internet IPs, but were totally clueless about what that actually means. (They confused private LAN with public Internet.)
Annoyed with the price difference, but more upset with AT&T, I moved to Comcast Business Class Internet.
So, I ordered 12/2. After a few months, I was automatically upgraded to 16/3.
The supplied equipment is the SMCD3GCCR, which is the only modem they claim supports public static IP addresses.
Installation was painless, since I had previously tried Comcast Residential service.

The equipment rental fee cannot be avoided for static IP service. That's bullshit.
The equipment rental fee increased from $5 to $9/mo and there isn't a way to break contract when they do this. These unrestricted price increases are bullshit.

No IPv6 for static IP addresses yet… and it looks like when they do offer static IPv6 they are going to charge a monthly fee. That's bullshit. Other providers are offering free static IPv6 tunnels!

When there are clearly defined problems, contacting Comcast Business via »forums.businesshelp.comcast.com/ will get you pretty quick service response.

There was a DNS and expired Outlook certificate issue that were handled within 1 business day of notifying Comcast of the problem. Fact of the matter though is neither problem should have occurred in the first place.

The free SiteBuilder account was lost after a recent 'service upgrade' that Comcast performed, without notifying customers.

Comments:

Review by Trevor See Profile

• Location: Sultan,Snohomish,WA

Due to bandwidth caps enforced at the time on Comcast Residential, Business Class was the best option. In addition to dropping Comcast Residential TV, the overall bill was lower, although at a reduced speed from my previous package. I currently have the Business Starter 16/3 service. Pre-sales and initial install were absolutely painless. Originally when I purchased the package, I was forced to use the SMC gateway provided by Comcast as their rules hadn't yet opened up to allow any supported modem, such as my previously purchased Motorola SB6121. The SMC gateway was a poor piece of equipment, and Comcast had difficulty placing the device in pass-thru mode, but eventually completed the request. Roughly 6 months later, I was allowed to replace the SMC gateway with my SB6121, coordinating with customer support located out of Denver, CO. Additionally, I had no issues returning the SMC gateway to the Comcast store.

Unlike Residential service, my equipment has never been the blame of any technical issues with the service.

All service outages have been related to other customer equipment (such as VCRs) feeding back onto the line. Credits were appropriately applied when these issues occurred.

Comments:

Review by mpritcha47 See Profile

• Location: Fremont,Alameda,CA
Good "Fast, steady internet with static IP without any bandwidth caps"
Bad "Only fast and steady when it's working"
Overall "When you're a monopoly, what choices do you have?"

I moved from Comcast Residential to Comcast Business to help with SLA issues I was having with Comcast, since I am unable to get any other kind of broadband at my location. I ordered the $200 package which only gets you 50Mbps up, 10Mbps down without any kind of bursting. Not the best when residential is twice as fast for half the price.

Order and install processes are basic for Comcast. You must sign at least a 12 month contract with a ridiculous early termination fee. (75% of what's left for the 12 months??) Comcast comes out and plugs the modem into your coax, verifies you have service and that it's working and heads out. No big deals here.

You only get the basic Comcast Business approved cable modem/router: (SMC's SMCD3G-CCR) Don't even bother trying to get your own modem on this service. The excuse I was given is they can't give a 4 hour SLA with any other modem. This modem suffers from severe buffer bloat issues, bumping up my latency if I maxed out the connection (not too difficult these days).

It's almost impossible to get your modem/router into just a bridging mode without getting a static IP. I opted for that so I could run my own routing services.

Tech calls are quick and you do get someone knowledgable who helps try to do initial troubleshooting, with a Tier 2 callback within 4 hours. Then if the issue can't be resolved, they send out the local tech VERY quickly.

I've been suffering from latency/packet loss issues that Comcast can't seem to fully resolve. But ever since I've been on the Business Class, they've done a much better job of getting me back up and running each time the issues occur.

Overall, I wish there were choices in real ISPs. Comcast is okay, but only if they don't have oversubscribed issues. Local municipalities should hold Comcast to standards, seeing as they're the ones preventing any other ISPs coming in.

Comments:

Review by Voodoo288 See Profile

• Location: Richmond,Chesterfield,VA
Good "Customer service is good. Not great, but not horrible."
Bad "Issues inside residential areas."
Overall "Recommended"

As a Network consultant I deal with Comcast not only in my office, but also in the field. Customer service is good and like other providers, get the right person and troubleshooting goes smoothly. Sadly there are folks like the technician I was meeting at a site survey for connectivity since the site did not have a physical connection. First thing he said to me "There's no cable here." *Facepalm*

If interested in Business Class make sure you know where your node is located. Ask the technician that comes to do a site survey. Shouldn't be an issue but in my location (Home Office) our node is about a half mile away and on the same power grid. We lose power and so does the node. I can power my servers fine with a generator, but no connectivity if the node is out. I've since had to move my servers to a co-location adding expenses and rendering my statics useless. The more you know...

Comments:

Review by redschmed45 See Profile

• Location: San Francisco,San Francisco,CA

I have Comcast business. Whatever that means. It is very unstable. From
one day to the next, speeds vary so much I just don't understand. But for
the money it seems to be the best thing going. I live in the downtown SF
area, and there are "public" wifi signals for $20.00 a month that give
pretty good service. Very consistent. I used one for a month and I was
satisfied. Maybe I should go back to them...

Comments:
wrad

join:2003-09-11
Fort Pierce, FL

Comca$t Business

Good luck getting rid of them. I learned that my building was serviced by a private Wi-Fi for $45/ month for 10/2. Then learned Comca$t required 80% of whatever they would have gotten for the length of the contract.

Review by Spilnerfact See Profile

• Location: Phoenix,Maricopa,AZ
Good "Cost"
Bad "QOS, Tech support, Phones, Hardware"
Overall "I left this company and moved to comvoice."

I really don't know what to say, I have never been with a worse comapny in my life.

I won't go into EVERY detail but lets just say they screwed me with no lube or reach around. I have then left the company and moved to a smaller more reliable provider named comvoice.

I would highly advise everyone to stay away from comcast as they almost ruined my business with their crap phone service and internet.

Comments:

Review by wolves01 See Profile

• Location: Crystal Lake,Mchenry,IL
Good "Internet works good"
Bad "Would be nice if they gave business class a speed boost. TV add ons pricey"
Overall "Does What I need it to."

·Comcast Formerl..
I've used Comcast for my business (a small insurance agency) for about 5 years now. I had started out with phone and internet but had recently switched to VOIP for voice. The internet service has been stable and delivers enough to keep three PC's and our 3 phones working well.

We recently moved to a new location and the installation process was flawless and they came out when they promised. Had to confirm the appointment via email and phone several times. I felt that was a hassle, but I guess they don't want their tech's getting stood up.

I have the included TV package and would like to upgrade that to include some additional channels, but it is very pricey.

I am also a Comcast home user for voice, TV and internet. It would be nice if Comcast would give the business class a good speed boost similar to what I just got at home.

Comments:

Review by EverythingPC See Profile

• Location: Charleston,Charleston,SC
Good "Service for the Price (given local choices)"
Bad "Honestly all has been ok with service. Always could use more speed for the money ;)"
Overall "I recommend Business Class to my customers."

Monthly Price includes : Basic 16/3 tier ($59.99), 5-block of IPs ($19.95) Really Basic TV ($4.95), Gateway Rental ($7.00) and usual taxes and fees.

I've been a customer with this account at this address for 12-months on a 24-month contract. Think I had experienced one outage (to my knowledge) and it was at the end of the work day so it really didn't impede me (was heading out the door and saw the modem was not sync'ed, was ok within an hr when I got home and remoted into the office).

I have used Comcast Business (at two other locations) prior to this account (total of 5+ years with them overall), so I knew what to expect and what to watch out for. I have a good sales rep that I deal with regularly so was able to get what I felt was a good deal. 2yr contract (my choice to lock price) & free install.

I was a little disappointed by the increase in price for the static block (think I used to have 5-block for $10/mo) now at $20/mo. But from the sounds of it the limited number of avail IPs has driven this cost up across all ISP's. (long be the days of Static IP's to all by default).

Speed has been good. I'm on 16/3 now (recently area received upgrade from 12/2 to 16/3 on basic tier). I did have 22/5 (now 27/7) but found for the extra $40/mo it wasn't justified for my use.

Where choices where limited (in my office now it was either Comcast Biz (which had to have lines pulled to my suite) or AT&T DSL it was a no brainier. Of course I could have gone with a T1 or MetroE but for my price point it was limited to Cable or DSL.

Our office park is strange in that Comcast services my side but Knowledgy + Time Warner service the office accross the parking lot from me. When I was inquiring on services Knowledgy and Time Warner both said my address/suite was not serviceable and offered no option for a build out. IMO Comcast is the better choice anyway, but was shopping around.

member for 10 years, 516 visits, last login: 1 year ago