Comcast Business Class page on DSLReports

Review by Trevor See Profile

• Location: Sultan,Snohomish,WA

Due to bandwidth caps enforced at the time on Comcast Residential, Business Class was the best option. In addition to dropping Comcast Residential TV, the overall bill was lower, although at a reduced speed from my previous package. I currently have the Business Starter 16/3 service. Pre-sales and initial install were absolutely painless. Originally when I purchased the package, I was forced to use the SMC gateway provided by Comcast as their rules hadn't yet opened up to allow any supported modem, such as my previously purchased Motorola SB6121. The SMC gateway was a poor piece of equipment, and Comcast had difficulty placing the device in pass-thru mode, but eventually completed the request. Roughly 6 months later, I was allowed to replace the SMC gateway with my SB6121, coordinating with customer support located out of Denver, CO. Additionally, I had no issues returning the SMC gateway to the Comcast store.

Unlike Residential service, my equipment has never been the blame of any technical issues with the service.

All service outages have been related to other customer equipment (such as VCRs) feeding back onto the line. Credits were appropriately applied when these issues occurred.

Comments:

Review by mpritcha47 See Profile

• Location: Fremont,Alameda,CA
Good "Fast, steady internet with static IP without any bandwidth caps"
Bad "Only fast and steady when it's working"
Overall "When you're a monopoly, what choices do you have?"

I moved from Comcast Residential to Comcast Business to help with SLA issues I was having with Comcast, since I am unable to get any other kind of broadband at my location. I ordered the $200 package which only gets you 50Mbps up, 10Mbps down without any kind of bursting. Not the best when residential is twice as fast for half the price.

Order and install processes are basic for Comcast. You must sign at least a 12 month contract with a ridiculous early termination fee. (75% of what's left for the 12 months??) Comcast comes out and plugs the modem into your coax, verifies you have service and that it's working and heads out. No big deals here.

You only get the basic Comcast Business approved cable modem/router: (SMC's SMCD3G-CCR) Don't even bother trying to get your own modem on this service. The excuse I was given is they can't give a 4 hour SLA with any other modem. This modem suffers from severe buffer bloat issues, bumping up my latency if I maxed out the connection (not too difficult these days).

It's almost impossible to get your modem/router into just a bridging mode without getting a static IP. I opted for that so I could run my own routing services.

Tech calls are quick and you do get someone knowledgable who helps try to do initial troubleshooting, with a Tier 2 callback within 4 hours. Then if the issue can't be resolved, they send out the local tech VERY quickly.

I've been suffering from latency/packet loss issues that Comcast can't seem to fully resolve. But ever since I've been on the Business Class, they've done a much better job of getting me back up and running each time the issues occur.

Overall, I wish there were choices in real ISPs. Comcast is okay, but only if they don't have oversubscribed issues. Local municipalities should hold Comcast to standards, seeing as they're the ones preventing any other ISPs coming in.

Comments:

Review by NetFixer See Profile

• Location: Murfreesboro,Rutherford,TN
Good "Very fast, and the support has been very good"
Bad "Initially had Vonage VoIP fax problems, but this has now been resolved."
Overall "Much faster and also less expensive than AT&T DSL with slower speeds"

03/23/2011:

I just got my new Comcast Business 12/2 connection with a /29 static IP block up and running yesterday.

It has only been operational now for two days, so I can't really make an accurate assessment on reliability, but so far I have had no connection problems. In the past, I have had problems with Comcast not being able to survive electrical storms and/or power outages. If at a future date I should see this problem is still present, I will update my review accordingly. For now I am hopeful that with the D3 upgrade, and Comcast now being a telephone company, that they have taken measures to keep their service live during storms and power outages.

The only "problem" I had with getting on-line with the new service was with my Cisco RV082 router, not with the Comcast service itself or their required/supplied SMC router. It seems that when I just changed the router's mode from load balanced dual WAN operation to a single WAN/DMZ mode, that something in the existing config interfered with connectivity (the WAN connection kept bouncing, but the SMC router indicated that there was no problem with the connection. A push button initiated factory default reset on the RV082 followed by entering the new config parameters manually fixed that problem.

Update 03/25/2011:

Well, last night and today I just ran into my first thing that used to work with AT&T DSL, but does not work with Comcast HSI. My Vonage fax line can no longer send faxes (but receiving faxes still seems to work, and voice service still works well). The call connects, and you can see and hear the fax modem attempting to establish a data connection, but it just fails to do so. I swapped the fax modem and I also moved the fax line to another ATA, but nothing helped. Calling either Vonage or Comcast support would have just been a waste of time because past experience told me that they would just each blame the other for the problem. I just signed up for a Ring Central fax service because I am not going to reward AT&T by getting a POTS line, nor am I going to reward Comcast for deliberately interfering with competitive VoIP by getting CDV.

Update 01/01/2012:

Nothing much new to report, but the DSLR update bot is bugging me for a review update.

Overall, the service has been quite reliable, and except for one outage shortly after I started using the service (caused by the install tech not doing his job properly), I have only had a few middle of the night "scheduled maintenance" outages. On a side note, after a recent firmware update in the SMC gateway, I can now send and receive faxes again using a Vonage line, but I am not yet convinced that it will be reliable enough to terminate my RingCentral dedicated fax line.

My only complaint is that the Comcast firmware in the SMC gateway (which I am required to use) does not give me access to its firewall logs, and I can't find anyone at Comcast willing to set it up to send the logs to my syslog daemon (even though that capability is present in the SMC gateway).

Update 08/11/2012:

The DSLR update bot is bugging me for a review update, so here it is:

Not much new to report (except that I have moved my previous Comcast HSI review to this Comcast Business Class review forum because I was not previously aware that this review forum even existed).

The service still works well, and I have no major complaints. The biggest "problem" right now is that Comcast still has not released a workable IPv6 firmware for the SMCD3G-CCR gateway, and AFAIK, still has not decided how they are going to handle IPv6 for their static IP customers.

Update 09/10/2012:

A few days ago I dropped my /29 static IPv4 block and I am now using my SMCD3G-CCR in bridge mode. I can still get five IPv4 addresses, but they are dynamic instead of static. Using the DynDNS service has made that a relatively painless changeover. An added side benefit is that Comcast does not currently support native dual stack IPv4/IPv6 on static IP accounts, but it does support it on dynamic IP accounts (if you are are not using an SMC gateway in gateway mode).

The only problem I have encountered after changing to use dynamic IP addresses is with my SamKnows box that does not seem to like not being behind a NAT router. But I may have resolved that by just putting it behind the Netgear WNR1000v2 router that was supplied by Comcast. The SamKnows box can't monitor my directly connected server boxes in that mode, but it seems to be working OK again now that it is once again behind a NAT router.

My primary reason for doing it was financial. I am both a cheapskate and a retiree living on a relatively limited income, and now that Comcast will either put the SMCD3G into bridge mode or allow the use of an SB612x modem on a business class account, I decided to keep the $20 per month I was paying Comcast for the 5 static IPv4 addresses (and I will probably also buy my own SB6121 modem and pocket the $7 per month modem rental charge as well).

Update 10/09/2012:

Last week, I installed a purchased Motorola SB6121 and turned in my leased SMCD3G-CCR. I did so partly to save the $7.65 monthly modem rental fee, and also because some Comcast CSRs were causing problems for me by resetting my SMCD3G-CCR and taking it out of bridge mode (which would disable my entire network). I was able to do a self install and on-line activation (which surprised me because I thought that Comcast Business Class required a tech visit for a modem swap), and there were no problems with the changeover. After discovering that Comcast Business Class allowed modem self installs and activations, I experimented and found that I could also activate my old DOCSIS 2 D-Link DCM202, and it also worked on the business class service (even though Comcast says only the SMC gateways and the SB612x modems are officially allowed). So I now have a hot swap spare already activated for emergency use just in case my new SB6121 goes up in smoke (the DCM202 doesn't support native IPv6, but it would keep my connection up until a replacement SB6121 was available).

SamKnows, Vonage, and IPv6 Update 01/14/2013:

SamKnows Update: I continued to have problems with the SamKnows TL-WR1043ND box intermittently locking up my entire network, so I contacted SamKnows, and terminated my participation in that program about a month ago. The box apparently just could not handle my multiple public IP address connection.

Vonage Update: I was recently able to once again start using Vonage to send and receive faxes over my Comcast connection. For details on how I did this, see my review update comment at: »Update on solution for using Vonage for VoIP faxing (this should also be visible in the "comments" section at the end of this review).

IPv6 Update: I have been using Comcast's native dual IPv4/IPv6 implementation since I changed from a static IPv4 account to a dynamic IP account back in September, and Comcast's IPv6 implementation has been working as advertised. I even invested in a new IPv6 compatible D-Link DIR655 router because it had the capability of syncing multiple IPv6 devices with the DynDNS service (and that also seems to be working OK).

However, since I have been using Comcast's native dual IPv4/IPv6 stack I have started noticing that many mainstream sites (who are now starting to use IPv6) would often be very slow in loading, and sometimes would just time out altogether until I did multiple refresh/reloads of the balky URL (and even that did not always work). I found that usually when this happened, a site would be attempting to use a CDN or round-robin DNS selected server that was using an IPv6 address. and that server would be either very slow in responding, or would simply appear to be dead. In such cases, if I simply disabled IPv6 in the PC that was trying to access the balky site(s), the site(s) would work with no problems with only IPv4 active.

I have posted an example of this IPv6 vs IPv4 symptom in a review comment at »IPv6 vs IPv4 reliability through my Comcast connection because I needed to use imbedded code and the review update script does not allow imbedded code.

This problem had kind of slowly crept up on me, and I had almost forgotten how fast my Comcast connection used to be. I have therefore reluctantly reverted to using Comcast's 6to4 IPv6 tunnel in both my primary and guest routers, and my network is now using IPv4 as the primary protocol stack once again (but the 6to4 tunnel will still allow me to access IPv6 sites if needed). I will occasionally (and temporarily) enable Comcast's native dual IPv4/IPv6 stack in my (isolated) guest router to see if the rest of the Internet has caught up with Comcast before I permanently turn native IPv6 back on again.

Sometimes the leading edge is also the bleeding edge.

IPv6 problem update 02/12/2013:

It is possible that the IPv6 problems I was seeing have been (at least temporarily) fixed. The problem may have been related to my DIR655 sometimes getting a "/60" and sometimes getting a "/64" PD prefix assignment combined with a CMTS bug. See NetDog]'s post »Re: [IPv6] Comcast IPv6 Address Assignment/Delegation for details. Since that announcement, I have only been getting the "/64" PD prefix assignments, and I do not currently see the problem with CDN and round robin IPv6 servers frequently not responding.

DSLR nag bot update 08/23/2013:

The DSLR nag bot is asking for review updates, so here it is:

Currently using Comcast Business Class 16/3 speed tier through a Motorola SB6121 modem feeding several D-Link routers from a ZyXEL switch. Here is a link to a diagram of my network for anyone who may care to have a look: »www.dcs-net.net/image/DCS-networ···gram.gif

The service is working as advertised, and I have no Comcast HSI related problems to report at this time (none of my earlier VoIP or IPv6 problems have returned). My only minor complaint is that Comcast's Business Class web hosting service does not yet support IPv6, so full IPv6 implementation for my »portscan.dcsenterprises.net site is not yet possible (I have to use an external hosting service for the actual port scanning function since Comcast blocks some of the ports being tested even on their business class accounts). However, I am hopeful that this will be corrected once Comcast also fully supports IPv6 for all of their business class accounts.

member for 10.1 years, 5774 visits, last login: a few hours ago
updated 1 year ago

Comments:

NetFixer

2 edits

Update on solution for using Vonage for VoIP faxing

I am providing this update to my review by using the "comment" feature instead of using the "review update" procedure because I want to include some images, and the review process does not seem to allow that.

I was recently able to start using my 16/3 Comcast Business Class connection for sending and receiving faxes using the Vonage VoIP service (I can even do both at the same time). I did this by replacing the SMCD3G-CCR gateway device with a Motorola SB6121 modem, and adding a ZyXEL GS105S gigabit switch with advanced priority based QoS.

Shown below is a screen capture of a Comcast speed test that was done while I was simultaneously sending and receiving a multi-page high resolution graphic fax.

Shown below is the page that was being both sent and received during the above test (and this image is the received page...not bad for a fax):

Shown below is a graphic diagram of my current network:

If anyone else is having problems with VoIP quality (voice or fax) from a VoIP provider other than Comcast's CDV, I recommend that you try using either a ZyXEL GS105S or GS108S switch with your VoIP ATA connected to the green High-Priority port (although it might not help as much if you have a WiFi router or cable gateway in front of the switch if your gateway/router does not also have a good QoS implementation).

Link to the GS105S product page: »www.zyxel.com/products_services/···html?t=p
Link to the GS108S product page: »www.zyxel.com/products_services/···html?t=p
We can never have enough of nature.
We need to witness our own limits transgressed, and some life pasturing freely where we never wander.

IPv6 vs IPv4 reliability through my Comcast connection

I am posting this example of the IPv6 vs IPv4 reliability on my Comcast connection as a comment because the official review update will not allow imbedded code (which is needed to illustrate my point).

Shown below is a prime example of the problem. This is of course, not Comcast's fault; it is just an indication of the current state of IPv6 implementation on the Internet (and it does not just occur with Yahoo!):

Pinging ds-fo-anyycs-l.ay1.b.yahoodns.net [2001:4998:f00d:1fc::c:1103]

Minimum = 44ms, Maximum = 50ms, Average = 47ms

Pinging ds-fo-anyycs-l.ay1.b.yahoodns.net [2001:4998:f00b:1fb::c:1103]

Ping statistics for 2001:4998:f00b:1fb::c:1103:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),

An attempt to access http://my.yahoo.com during the above time frame (with native IPv6 active) results in an extremely long delay (like several minutes) in loading the Yahoo! start page, or a browser timeout. And once again I will reiterate that this symptom also happens on sites other than Yahoo!.

Shown below are repeated successfull IPv4 pings to the same host name:

C:\>ping -4 l.yimg.com

Pinging ds-fo-anyycs-l.ay1.b.yahoodns.net [206.190.56.191] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 206.190.56.191: bytes=32 time=34ms TTL=54

Minimum = 33ms, Maximum = 34ms, Average = 33ms

Minimum = 32ms, Maximum = 33ms, Average = 32ms

Reply from 206.190.56.191: bytes=32 time=31ms TTL=54

Minimum = 31ms, Maximum = 32ms, Average = 31ms

Reply from 206.190.56.191: bytes=32 time=35ms TTL=54

Minimum = 33ms, Maximum = 35ms, Average = 33ms

Minimum = 32ms, Maximum = 33ms, Average = 32ms

A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.

1 recommendation

Re: IPv6 vs IPv4 reliability through my Comcast connection

It is possible that the IPv6 problems I was seeing were related to my DIR655 sometimes getting a "/60" and sometimes getting a "/64" PD prefix assignment combined with a CMTS bug. See NetDog See Profile's post »Re: [IPv6] Comcast IPv6 Address Assignment/Delegation for details. Since that announcement, I have only been getting the "/64" PD prefix assignments, and I do not currently see the problem with CDN and round robin IPv6 servers frequently not responding.

brockalee

join:2003-08-17
Jacksonville, FL

Re: IPv6 vs IPv4 reliability through my Comcast connection

Just wanted to say thanks for posting all this info. I was basically just trying to get a feel for Comcast VOIP reliability and you gave a lot of great info in your posts. Thanks!

Review by Voodoo288 See Profile

• Location: Richmond,Chesterfield,VA
Good "Customer service is good. Not great, but not horrible."
Bad "Issues inside residential areas."
Overall "Recommended"

As a Network consultant I deal with Comcast not only in my office, but also in the field. Customer service is good and like other providers, get the right person and troubleshooting goes smoothly. Sadly there are folks like the technician I was meeting at a site survey for connectivity since the site did not have a physical connection. First thing he said to me "There's no cable here." *Facepalm*

If interested in Business Class make sure you know where your node is located. Ask the technician that comes to do a site survey. Shouldn't be an issue but in my location (Home Office) our node is about a half mile away and on the same power grid. We lose power and so does the node. I can power my servers fine with a generator, but no connectivity if the node is out. I've since had to move my servers to a co-location adding expenses and rendering my statics useless. The more you know...

member for 12 years, 5054 visits, last login: a few hours ago
updated 1 year ago

Comments:

Review by redschmed45 See Profile

• Location: San Francisco,San Francisco,CA

I have Comcast business. Whatever that means. It is very unstable. From
one day to the next, speeds vary so much I just don't understand. But for
the money it seems to be the best thing going. I live in the downtown SF
area, and there are "public" wifi signals for $20.00 a month that give
pretty good service. Very consistent. I used one for a month and I was
satisfied. Maybe I should go back to them...

Comments:
wrad

join:2003-09-11
Fort Pierce, FL

Comca$t Business

Good luck getting rid of them. I learned that my building was serviced by a private Wi-Fi for $45/ month for 10/2. Then learned Comca$t required 80% of whatever they would have gotten for the length of the contract.

Review by Spilnerfact See Profile

• Location: Phoenix,Maricopa,AZ
Good "Cost"
Bad "QOS, Tech support, Phones, Hardware"
Overall "I left this company and moved to comvoice."

I really don't know what to say, I have never been with a worse comapny in my life.

I won't go into EVERY detail but lets just say they screwed me with no lube or reach around. I have then left the company and moved to a smaller more reliable provider named comvoice.

I would highly advise everyone to stay away from comcast as they almost ruined my business with their crap phone service and internet.

Comments:

Review by wolves01 See Profile

• Location: Crystal Lake,Mchenry,IL
Good "Internet works good"
Bad "Would be nice if they gave business class a speed boost. TV add ons pricey"
Overall "Does What I need it to."

·Comcast Formerl..
I've used Comcast for my business (a small insurance agency) for about 5 years now. I had started out with phone and internet but had recently switched to VOIP for voice. The internet service has been stable and delivers enough to keep three PC's and our 3 phones working well.

We recently moved to a new location and the installation process was flawless and they came out when they promised. Had to confirm the appointment via email and phone several times. I felt that was a hassle, but I guess they don't want their tech's getting stood up.

I have the included TV package and would like to upgrade that to include some additional channels, but it is very pricey.

I am also a Comcast home user for voice, TV and internet. It would be nice if Comcast would give the business class a good speed boost similar to what I just got at home.

Comments:

Review by EverythingPC See Profile

• Location: Charleston,Charleston,SC
Good "Service for the Price (given local choices)"
Bad "Honestly all has been ok with service. Always could use more speed for the money ;)"
Overall "I recommend Business Class to my customers."

Monthly Price includes : Basic 16/3 tier ($59.99), 5-block of IPs ($19.95) Really Basic TV ($4.95), Gateway Rental ($7.00) and usual taxes and fees.

I've been a customer with this account at this address for 12-months on a 24-month contract. Think I had experienced one outage (to my knowledge) and it was at the end of the work day so it really didn't impede me (was heading out the door and saw the modem was not sync'ed, was ok within an hr when I got home and remoted into the office).

I have used Comcast Business (at two other locations) prior to this account (total of 5+ years with them overall), so I knew what to expect and what to watch out for. I have a good sales rep that I deal with regularly so was able to get what I felt was a good deal. 2yr contract (my choice to lock price) & free install.

I was a little disappointed by the increase in price for the static block (think I used to have 5-block for $10/mo) now at $20/mo. But from the sounds of it the limited number of avail IPs has driven this cost up across all ISP's. (long be the days of Static IP's to all by default).

Speed has been good. I'm on 16/3 now (recently area received upgrade from 12/2 to 16/3 on basic tier). I did have 22/5 (now 27/7) but found for the extra $40/mo it wasn't justified for my use.

Where choices where limited (in my office now it was either Comcast Biz (which had to have lines pulled to my suite) or AT&T DSL it was a no brainier. Of course I could have gone with a T1 or MetroE but for my price point it was limited to Cable or DSL.

Our office park is strange in that Comcast services my side but Knowledgy + Time Warner service the office accross the parking lot from me. When I was inquiring on services Knowledgy and Time Warner both said my address/suite was not serviceable and offered no option for a build out. IMO Comcast is the better choice anyway, but was shopping around.

Comments:

Review by Chester2 See Profile

• Location: Menlo Park,San Mateo,CA
Good "Fast, static IP's for my servers, Free Norton, No bandwith caps!"
Bad "Expensive, no USENET groups"
Overall "Worthwhile step up from DSL"

10 years ago I had Comcast internet and really liked it but when I moved Comcast wasn't available in my new neighborhood and I had to go with DSL. For the last 9 years I've had DSLExtreme 3000/512 DSL service. I've been needing more speed and was on the fastest service DSL could provide me. Enter Comcast.

I have a home office, actually 2 since my wife also has an office in our home. I need static IPs for my servers so Comcast residential was out and I had to get Comcast Business Class. My understanding is that the business internet connection is the same as the residential connection. The difference being that you can get static IPs, there are no bandwidth caps, support is supposed to be better and you get some business goodies like free MS Outlook 2007, free webspace, free domain name.

When I made my first call to Comcast Business inquiring about service they tried a hard sell on their VOIP phone service. I was actually ready to sign up then but they got me researching VOIP services to see if theirs was worth getting. Their "deal" was $25 a month for Comcast Voice service. It's big plus is that it runs separate from your internet so that big downloads won't affect voice quality. I ended up signing with VOIPo.com for about $7.50 a month. Comcast Voice is just too expensive.

I choose their basic 12000/2000 service for $60 a month. I wrangled 5 static IPs for $10 a month and got hit with a $5 equipment rental. I paid $99 install with a 2 year contract. I could have got the install for $49 with a 3 year contract and while I will probably keep the service that long I hate being tied down, especially with all the new technologies coming down the road. I'm paying $20 a month more than I was for DSL but am getting 4x the speed!

I signed the contract on Monday and was told I'd be called to arrange installation. When no one had called by Wednesday afternoon I contacted my sales rep. and he got someone to contact me Thursday. An install appointment was made for 10-2 the following Monday.

The installer arrived Monday at noon and promptly went to work. I had already installed structured wiring (phone, ethernet, coax) that junctions in the garage. From there he tested each cable line running into the house and found one that was bad. I pulled the cable running from the wall to the TV and replaced it with one the installer cut to fit and all was well. He also determined that I didn't need the amplifier that had been installed in an attempt to fix a weak signal years ago. One less thing to be plugged in made me happy. I was given a SMCD3G Docsis 3 router/modem. I was glad to get this as most people with 12/2 service get a lesser model. The installer told me that they try and use the Docsis 3 modem on all installs even though they are not suppose to. The installer changed the hardware on both ends of the drop, at the house and on the pole. He also installed a little note on the line telling residential technitions not to disconnect the line as it has business service on it. I found it amusing that when he called Comcast to get my static IPs he was on hold waiting for an operator for quite some time. What does that say for priority business support? Once the modem was up and running the installer showed me all the line readings and did a speed test and showed the speeds with and without Powerboost. He handed me a sheet of paper with my network settings and was off. No mention was made of setting up any of my network. Once the Comcast modem/router working the rest is up to you. No residential hand holding here. Fine by me but some people may be surprised when the installer leaves without connecting their computer.

I've only been using the service for 3 days so far but the speed increase is very, VERY noticeable. I'm very happy. Plus, I am at the lowest speed tier. All I have to do is make a phone call and mail a bigger check for more speed. Until now I've been paying $60 a year for 3 Norton licenses. With Comcast Business I get 25 copies of Norton so that saves me $5 a month. I also get a free domain name and some web space which I will do some thing with.

So far I am very happy with my new Comcast service. I'll post updates if I have to use support for anything.

-- UPDATE 9-8-2011 --

I've had the service a little over a week now and the main thing I have to say is, "Why didn't I do this sooner?" Speeds are as advertised even when PowerBoost is taken out of the equation. PowerBoost does skew the most of the speed test results.

»www.speedtest.net/result/1472885855.png

»www.pingtest.net/result/46584646.png

Beyond being faster everything seems snappier. I click and bang web pages appear without the hesitation that I had with my DSL service. From pages on the web to my routers config. page, all are much quicker to load. It's not DNS because I've always used OpenDNS. I like it.

I've installed the Norton Business Suite on all my computers. It is a re-branded Norton 360 that comes with all the features of 360 except the cloud backup storage. You can still use the backup feature you just have to do it to a local disk. The software has many more features than the Norton Internet Security retail version I had been using. Upgrading was a piece of cake in that Norton gives you the option of saving all your settings when you uninstall their software so that they can be used when installing the Business Suite software.

Comcast gave me a welcome packet with a stack of business cards with their 1-800 support number on them. I taped them to all my computer equipment but haven't had reason to call yet. So far the service just works. I keep looking for things to complain about but can't find any. I should have something to complain about it is Comcast after all.

One place the service comes up short is Usenet access. Every ISP I've had in the past has included Usenet access. Comcast doesn't. I did find a free Usenet service that is almost as good as the one provided by my last ISP so I won't bitch too much about Comcast not offering it.

-- UPDATE 1-31-2013 --

I've had my Business Class Internet for well over a year now and am still quite happy. A few months ago Comcast upgraded the speed from 12/2 to 16/3. My speed tests show that I am actually getting almost 20/4 speeds. I'm very happy with the speed I'm getting for the price.

I move lots of data and it is nice to not worry about bandwidth caps. What they are and/or if they are enforced or coming back.

I've read a number of bad reviews of the Comcast Business Class service because the people state that they didn't know they were locked into a contract that is expensive to get out of. My contract had varying installation fees depending on the length of contract you signed. You want a free install your locked in for 3 years. I don't know how you could miss that.

Unless something dramatically changes I'm planning on sticking with Comcast after my contract runs out.

Comments:

Review by evmoy15 See Profile

• Location: Federal Way,King,WA
Good "Reliable, speed is alright, only one on my tap so no congestion."
Bad "sales rep was slow in getting my appt set up"
Overall "Good reliable service, phone is crystal clear."

I moved from Eastern Washington to the Seattle area and needed an internet connection. I had Comcast business previously, and save for some crappy SMC 8014 modems, it was rock solid. I gave them a call and they offered the starter 12/2 internet and phone service for 99$ a month and they would waive the $300~ install fee. The Sales rep did not mention the ETF, but I digress.

Now. Getting the service installed was a nightmare. I was supposed to get a callback in a day or two. Never happened. Sales rep ignored my calls and emails, save for one saying I would be called.

There was about 2 weeks to get it installed. Once the date was set it was great. The installers were very knowledgeable and professional, and were willing to work with my odd setup. (5th wheel trailer). They ran a new drop from the tap of the park, and installed the SMC 8014 modem and Arris EMTA, testing the speed. I am getting over my package because I am the only Comcast user on the node for my 300+ space park, maxing the 8014 at 20/5 at times.

The initial price was 99.95 a month, but Comcast offered me a 5$ discount when Verizon talked of rolling FiOS. I will be upgrading to the 27/7 plan very soon, and expect to see speeds up to 50/5, as I did on that plan with the D3G in eastern wa. The service has had one 2 hour downtime, and Comcast called me to let me know.

I use this as my primary connection in conjuction with a CenturyLink DSL connection, with a Firebox 550X hardware firewall, and it works great.

The Comcast DV has been great as well with the Visual VM, dial up modems sync great and fax works awesome.

My only gripe is the online billing system. It uses the xfinity site, and the Comcast biz portal and xfinity login are different.

Comcast also has no complaints of my usage or my hosting.

I will post a speedtest later this evening.

Comments:
ComcastBizCT

join:2013-04-21
Norwich, CT

awesome to hear you are happy.

Thank you for the review. I just recently was hired as a business account manager in Connecticut..after years of being a technician in both coax and fiber services for another MSO in CT. I can honestly say I'm pretty proud to work for this company and can't get over the fact that everywhere I go people are generally pleased with our service!