Comcast Business Class page on DSLReports

Review by blamblam See Profile

• Location: Concord,Contra Costa,CA
Good "you get internet"
Bad "turn it off? not so fast. for 60 days you still have to pay"
Overall "AVOID... It is pretty much a scam."

BEWARE

When you sign the agreement, there is a link to a web site. So they say you are agreeing to what is on the paper you are signing *AND* whatever they have or put on the web page (how is this legal to have a contract be something as changeable as a web page?)

So then when you call up to cancel, they say "GOTCHA!!! WE ARE GOING TO CHARGE YOU FOR 60 DAYS!!!" and you say "Wha?" and they say "BECAUSE YOU SIGNED!!! YOU SIGNED!!! and you say "This simple document that says you are going to turn on service?" and they says "HA HA HA HA... you missed the web page link!!! It is 20 pages of stuff that is not actually in the contract you signed, but is on a web page!!! HA HA HA!!! SO PAY US FOR 60 DAYS".. and you say "But my service is off, how are you charging me for it?" and they say "HA HA HA HA HA"

Avoid Comcast Business Class... should be called Nigerian Business Class.

Comments:
tkdslr

join:2004-04-24
Pompano Beach, FL
·T-Mobile US
·Speakeasy

RE: Beware... Comcast Business...

This theme seams to repeat.. over and over again..

Getting nailed for just 60 days, which isn't as bad as it was before.. A couple of years ago, it was 75% of the outstanding contract terms.. for zero/nada service.

Here's what happened when I tried to get Comcast Business to live up to their verbal promises (about an undefined "specific performance" guarantee).

»[Business] Commercial Users.. Beware Comcast's hidden contract t

oh.. be sure to check out the terms of service when you signed up.. Those are the terms you agreed to.. anything else changed later is not enforceable in court..

»business.comcast.com/smb/terms-c···ve/.aspx
blamblam

join:2013-01-28
·Comcast Business..

Re: RE: Beware... Comcast Business...

Something like a disconnect charge, that Comcast can cancel a service but they are going to still charge you for it, should be on the document you sign, not buried in a link on a web page.

Plus, the link that is on the contract you sign, doesn't even have the 60 text on it. That is another document that is linked to from that link. I'm not even sure a link to a page that then has another link to a totally different document is really part of a legal contract.

The fact is, they just need to be honest with people and not hide the fact that they are going to continue to take your money 60 days after you canceled. There just is no reason for it and I'm amazed it is legal.

Imagine if you switched electric companies and the previous company kept on billing you? Never would happen. How is this allowed to?
calibax

join:2000-12-08
Sunnyvale, CA

Dumb, just dumb

You really need to read stuff before you sign it. Really. Or get someone you trust to read it and look for problems.

Companies don't write contracts for YOUR benefit. You have nobody but yourself to blame if you agreed to a contract and didn't read it and all the stuff it incorporates by reference.

No sympathy at all.

Review by I2C See Profile

• Location: Charleston,Berkeley,SC
Good "Internet Connection Once Set Up Worked Fine"
Bad "Pre-Sales Agent Did Not Disclose Contract Terms Over The Phone"
Overall "READ the FINE Print - Recommend Using Another Company"

If you're even thinking of signing on with Comcast Business Class, don't allow yourself to be swindled with a 3 year contract. I signed up with a Comcast Business sales agent and only needed internet for six months and when I went to disconnect was told I had to pay a $1,700 disconnect fee. The sales agent had put in fine print within the electronic Docusign contract 36 months. Not once did the sales agent ever disclose over the phone a disconnect charge or that I would be signing on for a three year contract. I'm still disputing the illegality of the charge. To say the least, I've lost all trust and confidence in Comcast Business Class and will never use or recommend their services to another business.

Comments:
wirelessdog

join:2008-07-15
Queen Anne, MD

Contract

Why would you sign a contract before reading it?

Chester2

join:2000-10-17
Menlo Park, CA

Contract Length

Comcast is very upfront about the length of the contracts. They offer 1, 2 and 3 year options. Your "disconnect" fee is the balance of the 3-year contract you signed up for. You can move your service to another location without breaking your contract.
Craig
»CraigHarris.org My BLOG on Motorcycles, Computer Stuff & Deals.

Raven

@spcsdns.net

Comcast contracts

Im a former sales rep for Comcast and if I had a dollar for
Every contract I put in for 3 yrs without
Telling the customer - id be a very wealthy
Man !
calibax

join:2000-12-08
Sunnyvale, CA

No Sympathy at all

Contracts are important. Companies write them to favor themselves, not their customers, and you have to read them as an adversarial documents.

Unfortunately there are far too many long and complex agreements out there, particularly on the web, and most people can't be bothered to read them. But if there's some serious money involved you have to know what you are agreeing to do (or not do) so you have to spend the time to understand what's in the agreement. In this case, a casual reading of the agreement shows the length of the contract (I signed one after reading it).

I guess it's like doing backups - a precaution against something unexpected. Many people think backups are an unnecessary overhead and don't realize their value until they lose something important. Likewise, many people don't read legal agreements until they have a contract go wrong. In both cases, there's no substitute for experience.

Review by TimSpencer See Profile

• Location: Arvada,Jefferson,CO
Good "off the chart fast. not uncommon to pull at 75mbps+ up/20mbps+ down"
Bad "wish it were a little cheaper, but otherwise no major complaints"
Overall "good connection, and the local techs are all kick-ass."

I purchased 22/5 but routinely get double that (if not higher). Base price was $80ish/month but after taxes and a static up I'm just over $100. Seems a bit high, but considering how much we stream in this house (netflix, mlb.tv, apple tv, etc...often times more than 1 at a time) I'm ok with paying a little extra, especially given the reliability/performance of this connection.

The SMC/Comcast Business Gateway is a great device...the periodic connection drops I experienced in years past completely disappeared after this was installed.

The biggest plus to having a business account is the technical support. If there's a problem they'll send someone out asap, regardless of time of day. I've had people show up at midnight to resolve a problem. The local techs here are some of the best. They call the following day to make sure things are right, have given their cell numbers so they can be reached directly, I can't say enough about how good they've been.

Comments:

Review by MySpareBrain See Profile

• Location: Pearland,Brazoria,TX
Good "Rock solid connection, fast speeds"
Overall "Much better than home service in my area"

Comcast Business Class is MILES better than their home service. I had 50mb down, cut back to 25mb with business to keep the cost around the same, but that's okay. The connection hardly ever goes down, except for occasional maintenance, which usually happens at night.

My brother always had issues with home service. Got him to switch to Business Class, and he's happy now.

Comments:

Review by rmmill3 See Profile

• Location: Littleton,Douglas,CO
Good "At this point, nothing."
Bad "Terrible Service, rude technical support, I have no choice"
Overall "Before we moved locations I loved my internet service. Now that we have issues we must look for other options."

We have moved locations and we are a home based business right now. At our old location we had a fairly good success. Now we are in our new location I am experiencing 49% packet loss from the modem, 33% packet loss from my second hop (96.168.174.1) 33% pack loss from my third hop and 54% packet loss from my fourth hop.

When I called Comcast to begin with I had an "engineer" tell me everything was fine and if I wanted someone to come out, they would charge me $99. Not only was he rude he wanted to challenge my engineering skills. He didn't want to see my logs nor hear about my setup. This went on and on until I finally escalated as high as I could go. I actually had an awesome field engineer come out and replace what he could, but I'm still stuck with this issue.

No idea what the problems are at this point but I cannot continue working this way. I'm afraid I will have to go with Century link and hope for the best. I'm very disappointed in Comcast. If you want to provide business class then understand you must support us as if this was your business.

This is the cost of having almost no competition, I have no real choice at this point in time.

Comments:
nanaki333

join:2010-08-11
Chantilly, VA

Email the execs

Every time I've had a problem with Comcast, I've always responded to the last "tech" that helped me, and cc'd the CEO and other executive. Things that have gone on for weeks or even months (I have multiple business locations with Comcast), I get high level help the same or following day.

»consumerist.com/consumer/executi···0438.php
brian_roberts@comcast.com
wirelessdog

join:2008-07-15
Queen Anne, MD

I would question your skills too...

If you have packet loss to your modem, anything beyond that is irrelevant. Who cares if you have packet loss further down the line - of course you will have packet loss further down the line.

Sounds like another self-proclaimed know it all that the Comcast tech called BS on.
rmmill3

join:2002-07-25
Denver, CO

Re: I would question your skills too...

Wow Wirelessdog, you are SUPER helpful. The modem problem is new since the replacement of the old modem. They came and replaced the "new" modem and found out there was a line problem in two places.

But hey, take your A+ cert and go become one of them tech's. Good luck buddy.

Review by lacibaci See Profile

• Location: Export,Westmoreland,PA
Good "Download/Upload speeds, low latency, PowerBoost, no ports blocked"
Bad "Installers don't always know what to do (static IP setup)"
Overall "Great for now"

Had it for a couple of weeks now. No problems so far. Coming from DSL the speeds are insane

member for 14.4 years, 6468 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by lev See Profile

• Location: Chicago,Cook,IL
Good "Better price/performance ratio than AT&T, better bundled anti-virus, North American based tech support"
Bad "If area has power outage > 12 hours, service will die"
Overall "For small business needing a static IP, Comcast has surpassed AT&T"

I've had Comcast Business Class service since April of 2009. AT&T took their sweet time in providing faster DSL or Uverse to my area. I finally had enough of the almost 2Mb/512K service that should have been higher, which regularly lost sync, paid $15/month more, and had rock solid reliable 12Mb/2Mb service with access to better features, including 25 installs of Norton Internet Security for Windows OR Macintosh.

I don't like Comcast residential services; they are a horror to deal with. The business services are something completely different.

Very satisfied customer, and I thought it'd be a cold day in hell when I said that about any relationship with Comcast.

member for 13.3 years, 6801 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by cmslick3 See Profile

• Location: Joliet,Will,IL
Good "Guaranteed 12MBps connection, Comcast provided equipment, and dedicated 24/7 support. My streaming experience has been great so"
Bad "Haven't found anything yet."
Overall "If you're a heavy streaming user Comcast BC is you best bet. Oh and did I mention no CAPS!"

I ordered Comcast Business Class to replace my aged DSL line. I got the starter package 12Mbps/2MBps. I consistently test in the 25 to 35 rang on downlink and 4 to 5 on uplink.

VOiP phones work great and my streaming is wonderful. I am able to watch full HD on Hulu with no interruptions. I need to test Samsung Explore 3D for a real stress test.

member for 10.3 years, 2697 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by The Grif See Profile

• Location: Geneva,Kane,IL
Good "Speed and Relative Cost..."
Bad "None So Far..."
Overall "Fast Connection, No Caps, Static IP's all at a Reasonable Cost..."

I had Comcast HSI residential package for several years with no complaints. I recently upgraded to Comcast Business Class service because I wanted:

No monthly usage caps
Static IP's
Servers allowed

The price difference for the upgrade was reasonable IMHO...the speeds are faster than my residential service. I am consistently getting 30 Mbps down and 7 Mbps up...with 5 static IP's for $79.60 month...not too bad. Reliability seems great thus far...

Update:

After 1 year of trouble-free service...my Comcast Business class is now nothing short of terrible. I have daily outages...for the last 8 weeks...sometimes 3+ hours per day. I have had 4 tech visits, they have rewired and replaced all cable and hardware between my modem and the tap...no improvement at all.

Comcast customer support has given me many excuses for these issue...the latest was that there was a cable damaged by a construction crew nearby and it will take a month to get the required permits from my city engineer to fix the damaged cable. Well...I called the City Engineer and she stated that Comcast has no outstanding permits, etc.

So...at this point, my last hope is Comcast Direct...I am hoping that Comcast Steve can help me.

Update 08/24/2011:

I am still having daily outages on my Comcast Business Class service. Often times 3+ hours per day. Comcast has done nothing to help. I have had broadband since the old @Home days....in the early 90's...and this has to be...by far...the worst experience I have ever seen. Absolutely awful customer support.

I cannot run my business with this kind of service...no way...

Update 08/31/2011:

The infamous construction project was finally completed on 08/27/2011. My service has now been returned to normal. I have experienced no outages since.

So...in summary, my service was extremely intermittent for 10 weeks...with daily outages of 1-3 hours for both my phones and Internet. It appears to be repaired at this point, however, I just do not see how it could take over 2 months to repair service. Once again, this is not my idea of a "Business Class" service that I pay for.

It is nice to have it back, however, speeds are outstanding.

Update 09/12/2011:

Connection has now been rock-solid for the last 2 weeks...no outages whatsoever. Comcast has also now given me 2 full months of credit.

Although I did have major issues this summer...I still believe Comcast provides a great connection technology.

Update 12/12/2011:

Connection remains rock solid. Fast with low latency. I have ordered an upgrade to the 22/5 DOCSIS 3 business class speed tier which will be installed tomorrow.

I will review the new faster service in 30 days.

Update 12/16/2011:

I upgraded to the 22/5 service on 12/14. A new SMC D3 modem was installed and the old SMC 8014 was removed. The service is much faster. I am seeing 54 Mbps down and 8.5 Mbps up with PowerBoost. Sustained rates are now 25 Mbps down and 8 Mbps up...a real improvement.

So far...very pleased with the new tier.

Comments:

Review by Hylas See Profile

• Location: West Hartford,Hartford,CT
  • Cost Contract price not specified. (24 month contract)
Good "FAST!"
Overall "Free, Fast, 100% Up Time"

·Mediacom
After years of AT&T DSL, I couldn't be more happy with Comcast Business Services. My old AT&T service would require me to reboot the modem and my router almost weekly. VOIP would drop constantly.

I got a new job; working from home. My employer put in Comcast Business Services. I don't have a bill to pay and I've had rock solid connection for 9 months now. In fact, other than when I lost power for hurricane Irene, my Internet has never been down. My uptime on my router was over 8 months. Once the power came back on, my internet was there, waiting and fast as ever.

I'd love to hate Comcast but with a bill of $0 and 100% up-time, I've got to give them a perfect score!