Tell me more x
, there is a new speed test available. Give it a try, leave feedback!

Comcast Business Class page on DSLReports

Review by Cjaiceman See Profile

• Location: Parker,Douglas,CO
Good "Fast constant speeds, no usage caps, exchange server, Office 2007, REAL tech support, static IP addresses available,"
Bad "runs over the same infrastructure as residential connections, contract, cost"
Overall "Great connection for the heavy/power user or a business that needs a real internet connection with speed"

In my last review I had stated that I had Comcast's 8800/768 connection. I was happy with it but needed faster upload speeds, and I was getting close to the usage cap every month. This brought me to Comcast Business. I contacted the business department to get prices and contract info.

I was presented with a few options, a 6/1 connection for $59/month with a 1,2 or 3 year contract. The 1 year I would have to pay for the install fee, but the 2 and 3 year contracts they would waive the install fee. They also have a 16/2 connection for $89/month with the same contract setup. I opted for the 16/2 with a 2 year contract. They also offered me 5 static IP addresses, but I declined stating that my Motorola SB5100 (which I own) was more than fine and very reliable. The rep made it so I keep my DHCP address, but I do get 5 of them on my SB5100.

**If you do wish to get the static IP address you are required to get their SMC cable modem/gateway device.**

Since I was keeping my current cable modem and firewall setup the rep was able to get around having a truck dispatched. The rep then e-mail me my contract, I signed and faxed it back. Within 6 hours I had the new config file sent to my cable modem and I was hooked up with the new speeds.

The rated speeds are 16/2, but the provisioned speeds are 17.2/2.2 after powerboost is done. Powerboost at that time was allowing me to climb up to 32/3 for the first 150MB on download and 40MB on the upload.

After about 3 months I moved from my old location to my new home and had my service transferred. I called up my rep and they put up everything to make sure the transfer went very smooth. The day I moved in the Comcast Business tech showed up and hooked up my lines. The service has been very smooth since then, and I have only had 1 outage, but it was from 1 AM to 3 AM.

Comcast has recently upgraded my area from DOCSIS 1.1 to 2.0 in preparation for DOCSIS 3.0, which has given me grater powerboost speeds. I now get about 35.5/3.8 on powerboost.

Edit: They turned DOCSIS 2.0 off again due to major issues everywhere.

Along with the great connection you also get to register a domain name which points back to your webspace for a website, you get an exchange server with an e-mail address for your domain of your choice, real tech support that understands the technology, and an account rep for general questions and problems.

Overall I am very happy with the connection and the service that has been provided and would recommend it to anyone that needs more of a connection that a standard residential connection.

Update: Comcast has turned DOCSIS 2.0 back on finally after what seems an eternity. I now get about 30-35 Mbps download and 10-11 Mbps upload durring powerboost. In early march I called in about getting faster speeds when DOCSIS 3.0 comes to Denver and found out I can get the 22/5 right now. I ordered it, and they upgraded my config file. Everything works great and I get 24/5.5 sustained speeds. Comcast attempted to give me their SMC 8014, but it underperformed and was not right for my setup, they also had not turned D2 back on yet so I was getting about 24/3. In early april they turned it on in my area and I was blazing along. I upgraded from my SB5100 to a new D3 SB6120 that I purchased online. After a quick call to tech support they put it on my account and I am now D3 ready. I am going to upgrade to the 50/10 when made available. I will update again after that happens.

22/5 w/ uncapped powerboost:

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· vj6S0zCY

Update: 50/10 has become available in my area for some time now (June 2009). I upgraded the day it was available and have been getting that speed since.

»www.speedtest.net/result ··· 5951.png

I still have the SB6120 on my account and use it. My average traffic is about 850GB-1TB/month for over a year and Comcast has not said anything about it. I still recommend Comcast Workplace. Other than the speed upgrade, nothing really has changed since my initial review.

Comments:

Review by anish75 See Profile

• Location: Santa Cruz,Santa Cruz,CA
Good "2 YEARS AND RUNNING NO PROBLEMS WITH SERVICE"
Bad "N/A"
Overall "BEST SERVICE AND SPEED COMPARE TO AT&T DSL. I AM IN A HOTEL BUSINESS AND MY GUEST'S ARE VERY HAPPY WITH SPEED AND SERVICE."

SO FAR A+ TO COMCAST FOR PROVIDING VERY RELIABLE AND FAST CONNECTION .

Comments:

Review by erifax See Profile

• Location: Fort Collins,Larimer,CO
Good "Good customer service, fast connection, static IP's"
Bad "Questionable-quality gateway (SMC8014)"
Overall "Pretty good bang for the buck"

I have Comcast Business 12mbit/2mbit with 5 static IP's. It runs off a SMC 8014 gateway.

Good points:
* Customer support is good over the phone
* You can get static IP's with your own reverse DNS
* It's fast.

Bad points:
* Some questionable coordination
* The SMC 8014 isn't very configurable or flexible; I'd rather use a modem/bridge and my own router/firewall
* Occasional downtime for maintenance that's unannounced, you shouldn't expect to be running servers with high 9's availability.

They make you sign a contract for service. This works out well for both parties in that you get a guaranteed rate for the life of the contract and they get a customer for a fixed period.

Comcast Business uses authenticated RIPv2 to announce customer routes. This requires a specialized configuration in the modem; they won't give customers the key, so you're stuck with their gateway.

I had a spot of trouble with my SMC8014 which required a replacement. They came out and replaced the unit with no issue. Unfortunately, they put the old modem back into the pool for distribution. A few weeks later, they attempted to install the old modem and hadn't cleared its memory. Both the old modem and the new modem battled each other for my static IP block. I called the support line, who diagnosed the tug-of-war between the modems in just a few minutes. She got the installer with the old modem on the phone and got him to reset the old modem -- poof, no more problem.

I've been happy with Comcast's email support as well. I had a 1 minute turnaround (not kidding) on an email request for a reverse DNS change on a Sunday afternoon. That's pretty amazing.

Overall, I give Comcast a 4/5 on all categories.

member for 14.3 years, 1367 visits, last login: 2.7 years ago

Comments:

Review by tdoris See Profile

• Location: Downers Grove,Du Page,IL
Good "Speed, Cost"
Bad "Still subject to Comcast "auditing" teams with inaccurate records"
Overall "Good deal for the price"

I ordered the 22/5 Mbps package with one static IP. Install was fairly painless, but was immediately followed by an outage. The process of changing from a residential account to a business account cause some of Comcast records to reflect my line shouldn't be connected and caused the audit teams to disconnect my line twice. When the line has been connected it has been 100% reliable. Tech support is much better than residential support, but some of the agents weren't familiar with the SMC DOCSIS-3 gateway Comcast provides. The management of some of the services could be improved with either allowing changes or improving the interface of the web management portal. Overall, I'm quite a bit happier as a workplace customer than I was as a residential customer.

member for 14.3 years, 927 visits, last login: 1 year ago

Comments:

Review by scooby See Profile

• Location: Schaumburg,Cook,IL
Good "Fast, Stable, no modem rental fee, and no 250G cap"
Bad "SMC 8014 router/modem"
Overall "Definitely worth the extra $$$"

·ooma
For free install most sales reps wanted me to sign a three year contract. After playing sales rep roulette a few times, I found someone that would give me free install with a one year contract.

Service has been superb. I have no need for a static IP (dyndns is fine) so I selected the bare minimum business plan for my home office. Setup was quick and easy and the tech worked to get the signal levels nearly perfect. Obviously being a shared medium, there is some type of download cap but being a business customer it is higher than the 250G residential cap.

My only complaint is the cheap SMC 8014 router/modem that they provide. It would be nice if they offered other models that you could upgrade to. Make the 8014 the default free model but add a couple higher end units that you could pay for. The 8014 is really more of a residential type router/modem and it does not offer bridge mode.

Service is 12/2 and w/ Powerboost (20/6?) is there for this quick small downloads.

member for 13.9 years, 6327 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by steve1515 See Profile

• Location: Peabody,Essex,MA
Good "Static IP; Fast; Stable Connection"
Overall "Good for the price."

I have the 12/2 package with 1 static IP. The package costs $59.99, and the static IP costs an additional $14.95 per month.

I've been using the connection for about one week. So far everything works as expected. One thing to note is that Comcast's internal network seems to have some packet loss problems. This is mostly seen when data goes cross-county. I never experienced that with my DSL connection.

Overall, though, I'm happy with the connection.

Comcast is also starting to move toward IPv6. I consider this a major plus.

Comments:

Review by DarkLogix See Profile

• Location: Baytown,Harris,TX
Good "fast and no cap"
Bad "SMC crap router"
Overall "if the cost isn't an issue go for it"

I switched from 6/1 resi service to 16/2 business service
If they could go back to using cisco instead of the SMC I'd be much happier with
just a simple cisco 1805

only problem with the install was that they showed up in the morning while I was cooking a pizza (I requested saturday but didn't expect 8am)

Still GREAT!!!!!
looking forward to D3

member for 6.4 years, 2909 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by bbingurnee See Profile

• Location: Gurnee,Lake,IL
Good "Quick and solid installation - no issues and timely appointment"
Bad "Occasionally higher but still acceptable latency"
Overall "Excellent and consistent performance"

10/09 Run a small business from my home and moved to Comcast due to DSL issues caused by excessive loop length. Implemented 20/5 service with static IP very successfully. Service has been stable to date and performance consistent. Speed is very solid but there is a higher latency than I was used to on AT&T DSL. Not objectionable but different. Will update after I have had a longer experience.

01/10 With three months of service under my belt, I'm convinced that Comcast's business grade service is the real deal. I've seen very little issues with congestion or spotty performance. In every way, the experience has been similar to my DSL experience but much, much faster. Only complaint is that latency has been slightly higher than I experienced with AT&T DSL, mostly due to additional hops. Run VOIP traffic over it without issue and jitter is minimal.

member for 11.5 years, 328 visits, last login: 2.3 years ago

Comments:

Review by espaeth See Profile

• Location: Minneapolis,Hennepin,MN
Good "Much improved support, routed netblocks, priority repairs"
Bad "Some tiers still priced out of reach (50/10 and 100/15)"
Overall "Solid upgrade over residential service"

I upgraded to the DOCSIS 50/5 service when it first launched in 2008 here in the Twin Cities and started to rethink some of my hosting infrastructure once the 22/5 business plan was offered for a $99.95 base price here in the metro.

In Feb 2009 I converted from residential to business services on the 22/5 service with a routed netblock. Prior to having business services I was colo'ing hardware in Chicago and Dallas for hosting purposes, with Dallas having DRBD sync'd filesystems of the Chicago node so that it could take over operations with a simple DNS change should Chicago become unreachable for any reason. The great part of this system is with automated DNS failover most users never know when an outage occurs -- the obvious downside is the cost. With the Comcast business connection I was able to pull the Dallas hardware back home and still preserve the file system replication and failover capabilities. With the business static netblocks Comcast supports setting custom PTR records, so I was able to get everything to line up for email server failover. While definitely not the same as a 100mbps datacenter connection, the 5mbps up service is enough to keep critical services like email going in the event of a primary server outage to keep such an event from turning into a disaster for my users. (mostly friends and family who have my direct cell phone number)

In the months I've had Comcast Business services I've had 2 brief outages. One was traced back to an amplifier that had failed in my neighborhood. I had phoned in the ticket at 2am on a Tuesday, a tech showed up right away at 8am to check levels both inside my house and at the tap and said he would open a ticket with the maintenance group. I left for work, went to a hockey game afterwards, and by the time I got home at 10pm there was a tag on my door saying the maintenance crew had resolved the issue and had a phone number to call if I had further problems. Having had a similar problem back in 2004 that took weeks to resolve, I was beyond impressed that they got everything resolved in under 24 hours.

The other outage was due to a failure of the supplied SMCD3G gateway one evening. Similar deal -- it failed early in the morning one day and a phone call to business services had someone at my house by 8am the same day to swap the device out.

Overall I couldn't be happier with the service. It does everything I need it to and the Business Class support is absolutely great.

member for 14 years, 4648 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Phil54 See Profile

• Location: San Jose,Santa Clara,CA
Good "fast"
Bad "Salesman misrepresented the price while telling me other salesmen misrepresented the price"
Overall "I wish at&t were better..."

I bought the $75 triple play deal a couple of months ago. I'm paying $90. Also, Digital voice has failed 3 times in 2 months, data has failed 3 times. One outage was a couple of hours. Installer gave the impression of being very overworked and did a sloppy (but adequate ) job.

Tech Support simply could not or would not configure their router to bridge (or route through) to my router so I am double-NATed until I reconfigure my stuff or learn to program their router.

I told the guy who called to check up on me that I was very dissatisfied, me made a great show of dismay, promised a call from the supervisor, it never came.

I was told by Comcast tech support to move my 802.11G router at least 2' away from the ATA to resolve Digital Voice problems (dropouts, etc). I found out on my own that the problem was causes by proximity of my GSM Cell phone to a 80s era touch-tone phone which somehow coupled the GSM signal into the Comcast ATA and caused it to act up frequently. Someone isn't meeting published standards, I suspect. I bet the fault is not with the touch-tone phone.

I will probably try and live with Comcast, but I will keep an eye out for a better alternative and will bail without a qualm as soon as I find one.