Comcast Business Class page on DSLReports

Review by calibax See Profile

• Location: Sunnyvale,Santa Clara,CA
Good "Easy to order, trivial install, speeds generally in excess of promised"
Bad "Nothing"
Overall "Excellent service at a reasonable price"

I switched to Comcast Business Class about 10 months ago. I have a nominal 27/7 mb connection with a /29 static CIDR block. The quoted monthly cost also includes telephone service. I generally get data speeds higher than contracted (sometimes much higher).

Both the internet and telephone connections have been almost rock solid. Nagios has reported 4 outages in the 10 months of service, all between 5 and 15 minutes. This is substantially better than my experience than my previous service. I'm able to specify reverse DNS info for my web facing systems. Inbound and outbound VPNs are solid. There are no restrictions on running servers and no data caps. On the few occasions I've needed support I've had excellent help from knowledgeable techs based in the USA.

All in all, I'm happy with my data connection and the support provided by Comcast.

Update: 4/3/21014
Have updated to 50/10mb at no additional charge, although we needed to start a new 24 month contract (not terrible as we still had 19 months to run on the old contract).

In general, internet service continues to be rock solid, although we did have an outage of 5 hours one night (as recorded by Nagios). The service was back by the time the outage was noticed. Telephone service continues to be crystal clear.

We have a Cron job that runs a speed test daily. Typically, transfer rates are around 57 mb/s down and 12 mb/s up with surprisingly little variation. Pings to the Ookla Speedtest hub in San Jose, CA (about 12 miles) is usually 11 ms, although they have fluctuated between 10 and 42 ms.

Overall, we are very satisfied with the service.

Comments:

Review by danpowers See Profile

• Location: Salem,Essex,MA
Good "When it works, it works great"
Bad "Goes out at least twice a month"
Overall "I'm a business and Internet outages are bad for us"

I upgraded to the 50/10 package most recently. When it was initially installed, I realized the Comcast Business gateway was a router and not a bridge. It is my understanding that these modems can be put in bridge mode, but it is an absolute complete nightmare. They don't really like doing it, and when I had it done, the bridge mode didn't stick. I just ended up with a router with the DHCP server off. If you run any sort of standalone router such as a SonicWall or pfSense, just get the static.

I also have been going back and fourth with corporate for over a year with intermittent outage issues. Nobody seems to be able to resolve the issue. They sent a tech and changed components in the building but it's not fixing it. All my neighbors are complaining too. Seems to be a node issue. I am in direct contact with Comcast to resolve the issue seeing as though I have called over a dozen times. Very helpful and fairly prompt. Out of the dozen people I have dealt with, I only had two people have no clue what I was talking about.

I will say when the service works, it works great. But it really harms my business when it's down. I also have no other choice for high-speed internet. DSL isn't really a choice either as I need the speed for the number of people in the office plus the VPN.

Comments:

Review by choadchimmie See Profile

• Location: Sharpsburg,Coweta,GA
Good "Dont know yet, I cant get connected"
Bad "Sales, service, price"
Overall "If you have another option you probably already taken it."

I placed my order for 50 mbit business internet with Comcast on Feb 6th. I asked the agent if I could have the contract not auto renew. She confirmed that I could and sent me the contract. The day of the install she called saying that she had cancelled my order because she was not authorized to add the provision to have the contract not auto-renew. I was forced to sign a new contract and start over with scheduling the site survey and install for different dates.

The day of my site survey no one showed up. Customer service assured me that someone would be there but late. The next rep i got told me that no tech were working because of the weather. when i mentioned their guaranteed appointment he confirmed that a 20$ credit could be added to my account then promptly hung up on me.

I called to reschedule and was told that I had not had an appointment the previous day but that I had one scheduled today. I told the rep that i was looking at the email that I was sent which indeed had the appointment listed. I'm assuming that this is a result of trying to avoid the credit.

I often deal with the Comcast ENS / Fiber division and the level of service that they provide is great but Comcast business COAX division has the worst Sales and service of any business I have ever dealt with. The level of complacency and outright hostility towards the customer is appalling. If there were any viable alternatives I would gladly take them.

Update 1

The tech who eventually come to run the new coax line was 2 hours late. He pulled the line, then cut off an existing coax line that I had personally run for my own use. He then used the cut line to connect the one he had run to the new modem. He did this simply to avoid having install another 20ft of cable.

The actual install of the new modem happened the next business day. It was fairly uneventful. It took roughly 45 minutes for support to put my modem into bridge mode.

Comments:

Review by DJRank1 See Profile

• Location: Pittsburg,Contra Costa,CA
Good "Static IP's, ability to run a server on the connection, stable, speed, no bandwidth caps"
Bad "Three year contract"
Overall "Comcast Business Class is worth the money"

First thing I want to say is that your internet connection is as good as the quality of your line running from the tap to your house. Make sure all the lines and fittings are good. RG6 cable from tap to house and in the house to the modem and it will ensure that you get a good stable connection. If you know everything is good on your end it will help with troubleshooting process.

Since I've had Comcast Business Class (2009 to present) I've never really had any major issues. Just minor issues here and there and the tech support was really on point every time I've dealt with them. They have been very polite and helpful. Overall, I'm content with what I have and may bump up one tier package in the future for faster speed. Thank you Comcast!

UPDATE:
1/9/2014

Tech came out to swap my modem out for a new 3.0 Docsis one. The next day I noticed there was a problem with connectivity. The following day I called first thing in the morning to tech support and they said they would have a tech come out the same morning and troubleshoot. The tech came and changed the modem again and replaced all the lines leading up to the modem and also changed the drop (underground). Everything has been good since. Thanks to the tech who came out and did all the work.

UPDATE:
2/6/2014

I no longer lease a modem and have 5 static IP's. I now own my own modem with a dynamic IP. I want to also update that since last summer of 2013 that I'm no longer under a three year contract. Since I made a switch to a dynamic IP, the connection does not seem as reliable as when I was on a static. Here are two comparisons:

Static: »/pingtest/4b33···/3089376

Dynamic: »/pingtest/83cc···/3142849

I've attached photos of my modem levels as well which I feel are good. Overall, I'm still happy with Comcast Business. There are no other options for faster internet in this area so I'm sticking with them.

Comments:

Review by muranternet See Profile

• Location: Saint Paul,Ramsey,MN
Good "Decent speeds, fairly good uptime"
Bad "Sometimes variable speeds late night, stupid SMC 8014 gateway, inconsistent support"
Overall "Good option for >250GB traffic, esp. if in a low usage node"

I was on a Comcast residential account in my address before this one, when it took over from the AT&T Broadband account at my loft in Lowertown. I was apprehensive due to widespread negative reviews but I have to say I have been very lucky with Comcast overall, with a few exceptions. (Had a node-wide problem that took me a LOT of calls to get resolved, but that was when I was on residential and had to suffer through lousy tech support calls.)

I signed up for Comcast workplace through my employer after pondering it for about a year. I wish I had done it sooner. I moved from a residential account with basic cable TV, standard broadband service (was getting about 16mbps/30 with powerboost down), and the usual taxes and mystery charges that go with them, totalling around $57/mo. (I bought a modem.) When I switched to business class, I dropped the basic cable TV, as that was really only there because of Comcast's pricing structure that essentially forces you to get some kind of TV service, or it actually costs more. Note: Basic cable services are always available, if you are interested in that sort of thing.

Speed has basically been about the same, and my account rep was surprised when I told him what sort of bandwidth I was getting under my residential account. I suspect I'm in a low usage area, with a lot of people using DSL instead of cable, so I may have lucked out. I know other people in different metros do not have the same experience, so YMMV. I think my old residential account was supposed to be 12/2, and my business account 12/2, but since I was basically running faster than rated anyway I saw no difference. Unfortunately I don't think the speedtest.net node in the Twin Cities is available anymore, so I can't apples to apples compare my speedboost. Sustained throughput is about the same, however.

Under a business account, Comcast forces you to use their modem, not a privately owned one, but at least they don't charge you for it. The bad news is that unless you get a higher tier account you wind up with an SMC 8014 business gateway, one of the most reviled pieces of hardware ever. DO NOT USE THIS AS A ROUTER. After having it crash several times a day due to poor handling of routing tables, I just set my own router to a static in the gateway's address range (10.1.10.x I think, check your nonexistent manual) and stuck it in a DMZ. The gateway works passably for a straight modem, though I'm still unhappy with it as it still occasionally hiccups and the double-NAT setup results in weird things like tracert not working. After talking with tech support a couple of times, they said they had seen people go crazy trying to make this work for a while, and suggested I just get a surfboard modem and provision it. Some of them will tell you you cannot do this on a business account, but this is absolutely not true unless you need a static (which I don't), so just keep hounding. I have not changed this yet, as I keep thinking I'll drop by the local Comcast office and just pick up a modem, but I have not found the time yet.

Phone support is worlds away from residential support. On residential, when my entire node was having problems, I would have to call about 12 times (no kidding) until I finally got someone on the phone, delayed them for a while, and then told them to look right at the moment that an intermittent drop was occurring in order to get anyone to fix a problem. On business class, your first call is basically to tech support 2, with people who have (so far) known what they were talking about, and had actual information and the ability to fix problems. Apparently, a truck roll is guaranteed within 4 hours of a call, though I have not had to try this yet. I may tonight, just to change out my modem.

Note that if you change from residential to business class, your old account with disappear (at least mine did) and you will be assigned a new address under Comcast. This can be pretty frustrating since I got minimal documentation when my account was changed over, and I needed to call up and find out what my new login information was. I autoforwarded all my mail so I didn't lose anything, but if you actually use your comcast.net address, make arrangements to move all your stuff to Gmail or a similar service before it poofs.

I am also a moderately heavy user with videoconferencing, streaming services, FTP, etc., and I'm sure I must have come close to the 250GB cap a couple of times in the past. The fact that business class caps are, if not non-existent, at least much more lenient (I've heard from 750GB/mo to 1-2TB/mo), is very comforting. Your sales rep may say "no cap" but that's not entirely true. What I generally hear is that the real rule is, "don't bring the node down."

I cannot comment on the other services offered with the account such as Sharepoint, Outlook server, static, rDNS, etc. as I don't use them and have intentionally turned off as many of them as I could.

In conclusion I think this is a very viable option for people who work at home, or who have employers who offer a program for it, or just people who know a bit more about what they are doing and want higher quality tech support and service. I don't know if I would be comfortable running a 20+ person small business using this as my only pipe (maybe as a backup or one of 2 "prosumer" linked pipes), and I still don't think QoS is high enough to reliably serve from a Comcast account, but at this tier of service you are basically paying slightly more (or less) for a souped-up residential account with much better support, not a five 9s service. I am quite happy about it.

UPDATE 2/17/10: 4 months in, very satisfied. I still have not changed out my SMC8014, but it has gone down maybe once very early. Has not crashed since turning off all options and DMZing my DD-WRT router to handle all port assignments and DHCP. I have gotten a couple of different answers every time I call in about changing out the gateway, from "just pick up a modem at the local office and we'll provision it" to "we have to roll a truck out and swap your SMC at the same time." As long as the SMC doesn't give me any problems I won't worry about it.

One thing to note about support is that if you call during business hours M-F you get the local office and very good techs. If you call outside of those hours you get a call center with techs who are slightly better than the residential techs but much more limited. I'm lowering support to 4 because of this and the modem swap answer flipping but still satisfied.

My contract was for 12/2, not 16/2; have update the review to reflect this. Sustained speeds are minimally 12/2, occasionally higher.

UPDATE 2/24/10: I called into support this morning at 2 and 5AM after experiencing 5% loss and effective tested uploads at 0.06-0.20Mbps for a few hours. The tech thought it might be a problem with the gateway, and offered to swap it. I asked for a SB5120, to finally be rid of the 8014, and set up an appointment for the afternoon.

However, at 1PM, speeds were fine, and I called into support again to find out how much of their troubleshooting ability they lose if I switched to a 5120, and the answer was "most of it." Therefore I have made the surprising decision to keep the 8014, double NAT and all, rather than switch to a standard bridging modem just to keep better remote support capabilities. Time will tell if it works out or not.

I'm pushing my support rating back up to 5 because I got excellent answers to my questions and support from the national call center, which I was a little leery of before.

[URL=http://www.speedtest.net][IMG]»www.speedtest.net/result/7283077···G][/URL]

UPDATE 11/1/10: Last week I had a network failure at about 3AM. I rebooted everything in my network and got nothing. The SMC8014 was visible, and had a public IP assigned but could not ping out. I called support. They were able to log into the modem but also could not ping out. After booting the modem again it was not visible, so they placed an order to have it replaced; I asked for a standard DOCSIS modem, and they agreed.

The next morning I got a call from the Tier 2 guy. Naturally at that time my network was working fine, and so they cancelled the call. He also stated that it was "not their policy" to use standard DOCSIS modems on business accounts, even dynamic ones. I told him every time I called I got a different answer on this, and personally knew 2 people who also had this service who were on standard modems, but he would have none of it. "Happy that I could resolve your problem," he actually said. I told him he really didn't do a thing.

Lowering my support score because of this unpleasant experience, but generally still happy with the service.

UPDATE 1/8/11: I've been experiencing severe upstream power drops and packet loss at night for over 2 weeks. The gateway got replaced (another 8014) and an old analog filter removed from my drop, but it wasn't fixed. I spent a week calling in most nights to report the problem, but the desk was less than helpful. Fortunately, I had a very good tech come out when the gateway was replaced, and he kept notes on the situation. I called him back directly, and he put the line techs onto it, and discovered that there was an area issue around my node. They're working on monitoring it now, which doesn't mean it's fixed yet. When I called the desk back to update the ticket, it was closed. This was because the issue had been escalated (to whom I have no idea). They did measure severed upstream power drop and loss. I got half a month's credit, but I'd rather have a working line available at night. I'm not changing my support rating, since like in all services it all depends whom you get on the phone or in the truck. I am lowering my reliability score though, because even though it's been pretty solid over the life of my service, an area line issue can still take forever to get fixed. You're still on the same infrastructure as residential customers, apparently with the same headaches if a problem happens.

UPDATE 6/21/11: Sorry I haven't updated this, but a couple of interesting things happened. First, Comcast FINALLY tracked the problem to a node in my area as they were measuring similar loss at other residences, including another business customer on the same node. It was finally taken care of. Of course, I had to call a higher level desk to get an analysis of the area done. I don't think they were very happy about a mere customer calling, but whatever it takes.

Second, I was contacted by a CC service rep on the East Coast who actually did bridge my SMC 8014. Hallelujah. I can no longer access the control panel for the modem as it no longer had a maintenance address, but since it no longer drops dead, I don't care. Powerboost speeds are also up to what they were on a 5101 residential modem (up to 30mbps boost). I posted this information in the HSI forum, and it set off a veritable cyclone of back and forth nonsense between extremely knowledgeable people who enjoy debating over what a layer 2 bridge really is and what the correct terminology is for a cable modem, all the while debating whether or not the 8014 could go into dumb modem mode. Nobody believed it until I posted the telnet command, at which point it was confirmed by a number of people who are also now out of their 8014 double-NAT hell.

Of course, nobody at CC can agree over whether or not this is a good thing, but then again nobody has actually honored my request for a standard DOCSIS modem for over a year. Therefore my support rating is not changing. To those helpful individuals who insist that the proper way to to things is to get a DOCSIS modem out of CC business: well, no shit. That's why I tried to get one for over a year. Why not ask Comcast why they don't just do things the proper way?

So I still think support is better than Residential support. Incalculably better. But how much better is still a function of who happens to answer the phone.

UPDATE 1/14/2014: Haven't updated this in a while. Still on the same service, although it's now 16/3 but no powerboost (affects almost all business class customers I think). About a year or so ago CC started charging an equipment rental fee, which I wouldn't pay for that 8014, so I returned it and got them to provision an SB6121. When PB was still active I could get 50mbps powerboost, although sadly that's gone now. Still way more reliable than the 8014 ever was even in layer 2. There are still slowdowns at times when the weather gets cold, but I haven't had a massive disaster like I've had in previous winters.

Comments:

Review by RnVteam See Profile

• Location: San Jose,Santa Clara,CA
Good "Techs want to be helpful, but their hands are tied."
Bad "service intermittant at best, slower than dial-up for days at a time"
Overall "not worth the $"

»www.speedtest.net/result/3210407205.png
»www.speedtest.net/result/3212003672.png

Comments:

Review by smunro622 See Profile

• Location: Madison Heights,Oakland,MI

3 days from order to install, 5 static ip addresses.
about 45 mins to install and get things running

member for 8.4 years, 1915 visits, last login: 3 days ago

Comments:

Review by michieru See Profile

• Location: Miami,Miami-Dade,FL
Good "Quick and painless installation and speed is exactly as advertised."
Bad "None at this time."
Overall "Got exactly what I ordered, thanks."

Installation was on time, and I got the call from the tech letting me know he was arriving as promised over the phone during the time of purchase. Installation took about a hour and half because it was the first time cable was installed at this location.

After installation, services were quickly up and running and the tech took care of activating the modem. All I had to do was sit and watch him get the job done.

So far very happy with my cable service but I will update once I get my first bill.

UPDATE 2012-07-01: Got my first bill today for $172 this is correct because of the $99 installation charge plus the $66 dollars for internet service not including tax which was around 7 dollars. Without adding a few cents here and there it's almost exactly what I expected. I also got my bill in the mail 15 days before the balance was due so that was sent on time too.

No problems with service so far.

-Michieru

Update: Nov 30, 2013.

One outage a few months ago which only lasted an hour at 3AM in the morning. Purchased a modem because of an increase in modem rental fee as well and had no issues with activation. Had to return the modem at a authorized Comcast location. I now pay $59.95 every month.

member for 5 years, 1579 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by keason See Profile

• Location: Ann Arbor,Washtenaw,MI
Good "Fast, hosted exchange accounts, static IPs, good service"
Bad "expensive install on 1 & 2 year contracts, monthly fees for faster tiers"
Overall "Expensive but works well"

I ordered the 22/5 service with static IPs. It took about a week after the order was accepted to installation. Comcast gave a 4 hour windows and arrived about 1 hr later than scheduled. Hint: (Don't schedule an afternoon installation if possible!) It took less than an hour for the install, most of which was spent waiting for static IP assignment. The installer carefully matched signal strength and installed a 2 way splitter for future use.

Ping times showed a different distribution than with the dynamic residential service I had previously. Pings around Chicago averaged 25-30ms, Atlanta 60ms while Michigan were closer to 70ms with west coast pings close to 100ms. Comcast employs some strange routing logic.

Speed tests were positively inconsistent with powerboost. Downloads ranged from 55-85 Mb/sec, while uploads ranged from 5-6 Mb/sec. Sustained downloads average about 24Mb/sec, slightly better than advertised.

Comcast included an DOCSIS 3.0 SMC cable modem, configured in bridge mode. A separate box is used for a telephone connection. It worked perfectly with my firewall, unlike the Motorola 5100 DOCSIS 2 modem which was provided in a previous installation.

Overall, it worked as promised with no hassles.

Update 6 Jan 2011 - Comcast credited my account $20 for the late appointment (unsolicited). The CS in business is much better than residential. So far no glitches, drop outs, or speed issues. VoIP has worked flawlessly, and the modem has remained stable.

Update 12 Jan 2011 - Had our first outage. Called at 6pm, it was fixed at 9:30am the next day. Tech was on time and professional. It turned out that a different tech had disconnected the cable at the pole due to a residential disconnect order. The two divisions are not well coordinated. The performance difference was very noticeable compared to our ATT DSL backup - ATT constantly lagged, web pages did not load correctly, and VoIP occasionally stuttered .

Update 6 Feb 2011 - No problems or slowdowns. Speedtests have been averaging 85-95Mb down/ 5-6 Mb up at all times of the day. Sustained transfers 25Mb down/5.5Mb up.

Update 20 April 2011 - No hassles or glitches. SMC router has been very stable. Only a few momentary dropouts during the past 2 months, and no outages. Speedtests range from 15Mb/3Mb to 75Mb/6Mb depending on server used. No noticeable slowdowns during peak usage time

Update 21 May 2011 - Comcast came out again and tried to disconnect service due to a residential disconnect order. I intercepted the tech at the pole. Comcast now claims that their system is clear and it won't be disconnected again. Amazing that one outage and one near outage were caused by no communication between residential and business groups. Otherwise service working fine, powerboost still inflates speedtests. No slowdowns during peak periods.

Update 13 June 2011 - I was experiencing severe packet loss and slowdowns. Reported Sunday, was fixed on Monday. Squirrel had chewed the line.

Update 21 July 2011 - We now have upstream channel bonding. Speedtests average 80/35, and powerboost is uncapped. Uncapped powerboost is a great feature - VoIP traffic, browsing, and even some streaming services (which mostly transfer multiple small files) work very well even during long capped downloads, and we don't see much of a spike in latency when the connection is in full use.

Update 15 Jan 2012 - Well, the good stuff didn't last. Upstream bonding disappeared, Comcast started charging $7/mo for the formerly free modem (even while in contract!) , and speed is down to 15-25 down, 2-5 up on speed tests during peak hours (about 40/6 off peak). I change the 'Pre-Sale" ranking to worst as Comcast lied about the modem pricing - it was free only for the first 12 mo in a 36 mo contract! Latency is also higher during peak times. To cut costs I dropped the Static IP's and bought my own modem, and now use Dynamic DNS. Bill dropped from $127 to $100 after returning the modem and purchasing a Moto SB6120 (the only other supported modem for business class)

At least the service is still uncapped and VoIP works well. It would be nice to have the higher upstream bandwidth back.

Update 2/27/12 : Comcast added a $34 fee to switch to my own modem. They credited upon protest but acted surprised that I wouldn't pay it. Lame.

Update 6/1/12 : Comcast restored upstream bonding (4 down, 3 up) , Upstream speed tests are a little better . Used to get 80/40, then 70/8 with no bonding, now 70/12 is typical. Have had several outages but each was resolved within a few hours after calling in.

Update 2/1/13: Comcast upgraded the connection to 27/7. The increase in upload speed is much appreciated. Apart from a modem failure, connection has been pretty solid. In high use times, latency rises a bit and speed tests drop, but so far continue to exceed the 27/7 promised. Most times speed tests show around 70/30. Support has not been too helpful in diagnosing problems if you don't have their modem.

Update 11/22/13: Updated to 50/10 service, added business TV (local SD channels), and resigned contract for new $96/mo rate. Powerboost is gone, but connection runs consistently at 50/10. No outages to report so far this year. Hosted exchange continues to work well with no issues. Still pricey compared to residential since caps disappeared.

Comments:

Review by justbits See Profile

• Location: Chicago,Cook,IL
Good "Fast. Provides static IPv4 for servers."
Bad "Dynamic price changes hidden in contract! Tons of junk mail about Upware. Free web SiteBuilder account lost after an "
Overall "Good enough… but what I really want is residential service with 1 to 5 static IP addresses."

I run servers, so I need static IPv4 addresses. Really, I only need static IPv4 addresses for my email services and DNS services. Everything else is dynamic capable.
I was using AT&T Business DSL. I got tired of the slow speeds and the fact that AT&T U-verse passed my neighborhood by 1 block.
First, I tried Comcast Residential Blast, $40/mo. That was totally awesome! However, Comcast Residential claimed they offered static Internet IPs, but were totally clueless about what that actually means. (They confused private LAN with public Internet.)
Annoyed with the price difference, but more upset with AT&T, I moved to Comcast Business Class Internet.
So, I ordered 12/2. After a few months, I was automatically upgraded to 16/3.
The supplied equipment is the SMCD3GCCR, which is the only modem they claim supports public static IP addresses.
Installation was painless, since I had previously tried Comcast Residential service.

The equipment rental fee cannot be avoided for static IP service. That's bullshit.
The equipment rental fee increased from $5 to $9/mo and there isn't a way to break contract when they do this. These unrestricted price increases are bullshit.

No IPv6 for static IP addresses yet… and it looks like when they do offer static IPv6 they are going to charge a monthly fee. That's bullshit. Other providers are offering free static IPv6 tunnels!

When there are clearly defined problems, contacting Comcast Business via »forums.businesshelp.comcast.com/ will get you pretty quick service response.

There was a DNS and expired Outlook certificate issue that were handled within 1 business day of notifying Comcast of the problem. Fact of the matter though is neither problem should have occurred in the first place.

The free SiteBuilder account was lost after a recent 'service upgrade' that Comcast performed, without notifying customers.