Comcast Business Class page on DSLReports

Review by NetFixer See Profile

• Location: Murfreesboro,Rutherford,TN
Good "Very fast, and the support has been very good"
Bad "Initially had Vonage VoIP fax problems, but this has now been resolved."
Overall "Much faster and also less expensive than AT&T DSL with slower speeds"

03/23/2011:

I just got my new Comcast Business 12/2 connection with a /29 static IP block up and running yesterday.

It has only been operational now for two days, so I can't really make an accurate assessment on reliability, but so far I have had no connection problems. In the past, I have had problems with Comcast not being able to survive electrical storms and/or power outages. If at a future date I should see this problem is still present, I will update my review accordingly. For now I am hopeful that with the D3 upgrade, and Comcast now being a telephone company, that they have taken measures to keep their service live during storms and power outages.

The only "problem" I had with getting on-line with the new service was with my Cisco RV082 router, not with the Comcast service itself or their required/supplied SMC router. It seems that when I just changed the router's mode from load balanced dual WAN operation to a single WAN/DMZ mode, that something in the existing config interfered with connectivity (the WAN connection kept bouncing, but the SMC router indicated that there was no problem with the connection. A push button initiated factory default reset on the RV082 followed by entering the new config parameters manually fixed that problem.

Update 03/25/2011:

Well, last night and today I just ran into my first thing that used to work with AT&T DSL, but does not work with Comcast HSI. My Vonage fax line can no longer send faxes (but receiving faxes still seems to work, and voice service still works well). The call connects, and you can see and hear the fax modem attempting to establish a data connection, but it just fails to do so. I swapped the fax modem and I also moved the fax line to another ATA, but nothing helped. Calling either Vonage or Comcast support would have just been a waste of time because past experience told me that they would just each blame the other for the problem. I just signed up for a Ring Central fax service because I am not going to reward AT&T by getting a POTS line, nor am I going to reward Comcast for deliberately interfering with competitive VoIP by getting CDV.

Update 01/01/2012:

Nothing much new to report, but the DSLR update bot is bugging me for a review update.

Overall, the service has been quite reliable, and except for one outage shortly after I started using the service (caused by the install tech not doing his job properly), I have only had a few middle of the night "scheduled maintenance" outages. On a side note, after a recent firmware update in the SMC gateway, I can now send and receive faxes again using a Vonage line, but I am not yet convinced that it will be reliable enough to terminate my RingCentral dedicated fax line.

My only complaint is that the Comcast firmware in the SMC gateway (which I am required to use) does not give me access to its firewall logs, and I can't find anyone at Comcast willing to set it up to send the logs to my syslog daemon (even though that capability is present in the SMC gateway).

Update 08/11/2012:

The DSLR update bot is bugging me for a review update, so here it is:

Not much new to report (except that I have moved my previous Comcast HSI review to this Comcast Business Class review forum because I was not previously aware that this review forum even existed).

The service still works well, and I have no major complaints. The biggest "problem" right now is that Comcast still has not released a workable IPv6 firmware for the SMCD3G-CCR gateway, and AFAIK, still has not decided how they are going to handle IPv6 for their static IP customers.

Update 09/10/2012:

A few days ago I dropped my /29 static IPv4 block and I am now using my SMCD3G-CCR in bridge mode. I can still get five IPv4 addresses, but they are dynamic instead of static. Using the DynDNS service has made that a relatively painless changeover. An added side benefit is that Comcast does not currently support native dual stack IPv4/IPv6 on static IP accounts, but it does support it on dynamic IP accounts (if you are are not using an SMC gateway in gateway mode).

The only problem I have encountered after changing to use dynamic IP addresses is with my SamKnows box that does not seem to like not being behind a NAT router. But I may have resolved that by just putting it behind the Netgear WNR1000v2 router that was supplied by Comcast. The SamKnows box can't monitor my directly connected server boxes in that mode, but it seems to be working OK again now that it is once again behind a NAT router.

My primary reason for doing it was financial. I am both a cheapskate and a retiree living on a relatively limited income, and now that Comcast will either put the SMCD3G into bridge mode or allow the use of an SB612x modem on a business class account, I decided to keep the $20 per month I was paying Comcast for the 5 static IPv4 addresses (and I will probably also buy my own SB6121 modem and pocket the $7 per month modem rental charge as well).

Update 10/09/2012:

Last week, I installed a purchased Motorola SB6121 and turned in my leased SMCD3G-CCR. I did so partly to save the $7.65 monthly modem rental fee, and also because some Comcast CSRs were causing problems for me by resetting my SMCD3G-CCR and taking it out of bridge mode (which would disable my entire network). I was able to do a self install and on-line activation (which surprised me because I thought that Comcast Business Class required a tech visit for a modem swap), and there were no problems with the changeover. After discovering that Comcast Business Class allowed modem self installs and activations, I experimented and found that I could also activate my old DOCSIS 2 D-Link DCM202, and it also worked on the business class service (even though Comcast says only the SMC gateways and the SB612x modems are officially allowed). So I now have a hot swap spare already activated for emergency use just in case my new SB6121 goes up in smoke (the DCM202 doesn't support native IPv6, but it would keep my connection up until a replacement SB6121 was available).

SamKnows, Vonage, and IPv6 Update 01/14/2013:

SamKnows Update: I continued to have problems with the SamKnows TL-WR1043ND box intermittently locking up my entire network, so I contacted SamKnows, and terminated my participation in that program about a month ago. The box apparently just could not handle my multiple public IP address connection.

Vonage Update: I was recently able to once again start using Vonage to send and receive faxes over my Comcast connection. For details on how I did this, see my review update comment at: »Update on solution for using Vonage for VoIP faxing (this should also be visible in the "comments" section at the end of this review).

IPv6 Update: I have been using Comcast's native dual IPv4/IPv6 implementation since I changed from a static IPv4 account to a dynamic IP account back in September, and Comcast's IPv6 implementation has been working as advertised. I even invested in a new IPv6 compatible D-Link DIR655 router because it had the capability of syncing multiple IPv6 devices with the DynDNS service (and that also seems to be working OK).

However, since I have been using Comcast's native dual IPv4/IPv6 stack I have started noticing that many mainstream sites (who are now starting to use IPv6) would often be very slow in loading, and sometimes would just time out altogether until I did multiple refresh/reloads of the balky URL (and even that did not always work). I found that usually when this happened, a site would be attempting to use a CDN or round-robin DNS selected server that was using an IPv6 address. and that server would be either very slow in responding, or would simply appear to be dead. In such cases, if I simply disabled IPv6 in the PC that was trying to access the balky site(s), the site(s) would work with no problems with only IPv4 active.

I have posted an example of this IPv6 vs IPv4 symptom in a review comment at »IPv6 vs IPv4 reliability through my Comcast connection because I needed to use imbedded code and the review update script does not allow imbedded code.

This problem had kind of slowly crept up on me, and I had almost forgotten how fast my Comcast connection used to be. I have therefore reluctantly reverted to using Comcast's 6to4 IPv6 tunnel in both my primary and guest routers, and my network is now using IPv4 as the primary protocol stack once again (but the 6to4 tunnel will still allow me to access IPv6 sites if needed). I will occasionally (and temporarily) enable Comcast's native dual IPv4/IPv6 stack in my (isolated) guest router to see if the rest of the Internet has caught up with Comcast before I permanently turn native IPv6 back on again.

Sometimes the leading edge is also the bleeding edge.

IPv6 problem update 02/12/2013:

It is possible that the IPv6 problems I was seeing have been (at least temporarily) fixed. The problem may have been related to my DIR655 sometimes getting a "/60" and sometimes getting a "/64" PD prefix assignment combined with a CMTS bug. See NetDog]'s post »Re: [IPv6] Comcast IPv6 Address Assignment/Delegation for details. Since that announcement, I have only been getting the "/64" PD prefix assignments, and I do not currently see the problem with CDN and round robin IPv6 servers frequently not responding.

DSLR nag bot update 08/23/2013:

The DSLR nag bot is asking for review updates, so here it is:

Currently using Comcast Business Class 16/3 speed tier through a Motorola SB6121 modem feeding several D-Link routers from a ZyXEL switch. Here is a link to a diagram of my network for anyone who may care to have a look: »www.dcs-net.net/image/DCS-networ···gram.gif

The service is working as advertised, and I have no Comcast HSI related problems to report at this time (none of my earlier VoIP or IPv6 problems have returned). My only minor complaint is that Comcast's Business Class web hosting service does not yet support IPv6, so full IPv6 implementation for my »portscan.dcsenterprises.net site is not yet possible (I have to use an external hosting service for the actual port scanning function since Comcast blocks some of the ports being tested even on their business class accounts). However, I am hopeful that this will be corrected once Comcast also fully supports IPv6 for all of their business class accounts.

DSLR nag bot update 09/14/2014:

The DSLR nag bot is once again asking for a review update, so here it is:

Nothing much new to report -- the service is still the same as my last report. One minor change was that my original contract auto-renewed back in March, but that changed nothing (including the monthly price -- I had been expecting the price to go up by $10 per month, but it remained the same).

The only somewhat annoying thing that has happened recently is that the "My Account" site started showing a status of "LEASEDMODEM" for my personally owned SB6121 modems a couple of months ago. So far that has not resulted in Comcast billing me for non-existent leased equipment, but I am not optimistic considering their well known tendency to do just that (despite getting a written reply from BCI support that such a thing would never happen).

member for 10.2 years, 5801 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

NetFixer

2 edits

Update on solution for using Vonage for VoIP faxing

I am providing this update to my review by using the "comment" feature instead of using the "review update" procedure because I want to include some images, and the review process does not seem to allow that.

I was recently able to start using my 16/3 Comcast Business Class connection for sending and receiving faxes using the Vonage VoIP service (I can even do both at the same time). I did this by replacing the SMCD3G-CCR gateway device with a Motorola SB6121 modem, and adding a ZyXEL GS105S gigabit switch with advanced priority based QoS.

Shown below is a screen capture of a Comcast speed test that was done while I was simultaneously sending and receiving a multi-page high resolution graphic fax.

Shown below is the page that was being both sent and received during the above test (and this image is the received page...not bad for a fax):

Shown below is a graphic diagram of my current network:

If anyone else is having problems with VoIP quality (voice or fax) from a VoIP provider other than Comcast's CDV, I recommend that you try using either a ZyXEL GS105S or GS108S switch with your VoIP ATA connected to the green High-Priority port (although it might not help as much if you have a WiFi router or cable gateway in front of the switch if your gateway/router does not also have a good QoS implementation).

Link to the GS105S product page: »www.zyxel.com/products_services/···html?t=p
Link to the GS108S product page: »www.zyxel.com/products_services/···html?t=p
We can never have enough of nature.
We need to witness our own limits transgressed, and some life pasturing freely where we never wander.

IPv6 vs IPv4 reliability through my Comcast connection

I am posting this example of the IPv6 vs IPv4 reliability on my Comcast connection as a comment because the official review update will not allow imbedded code (which is needed to illustrate my point).

Shown below is a prime example of the problem. This is of course, not Comcast's fault; it is just an indication of the current state of IPv6 implementation on the Internet (and it does not just occur with Yahoo!):

Pinging ds-fo-anyycs-l.ay1.b.yahoodns.net [2001:4998:f00d:1fc::c:1103]

Minimum = 44ms, Maximum = 50ms, Average = 47ms

Pinging ds-fo-anyycs-l.ay1.b.yahoodns.net [2001:4998:f00b:1fb::c:1103]

Ping statistics for 2001:4998:f00b:1fb::c:1103:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),

An attempt to access http://my.yahoo.com during the above time frame (with native IPv6 active) results in an extremely long delay (like several minutes) in loading the Yahoo! start page, or a browser timeout. And once again I will reiterate that this symptom also happens on sites other than Yahoo!.

Shown below are repeated successfull IPv4 pings to the same host name:

C:\>ping -4 l.yimg.com

Pinging ds-fo-anyycs-l.ay1.b.yahoodns.net [206.190.56.191] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 206.190.56.191: bytes=32 time=34ms TTL=54

Minimum = 33ms, Maximum = 34ms, Average = 33ms

Minimum = 32ms, Maximum = 33ms, Average = 32ms

Reply from 206.190.56.191: bytes=32 time=31ms TTL=54

Minimum = 31ms, Maximum = 32ms, Average = 31ms

Reply from 206.190.56.191: bytes=32 time=35ms TTL=54

Minimum = 33ms, Maximum = 35ms, Average = 33ms

Minimum = 32ms, Maximum = 33ms, Average = 32ms

A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.

1 recommendation

Re: IPv6 vs IPv4 reliability through my Comcast connection

It is possible that the IPv6 problems I was seeing were related to my DIR655 sometimes getting a "/60" and sometimes getting a "/64" PD prefix assignment combined with a CMTS bug. See NetDog See Profile's post »Re: [IPv6] Comcast IPv6 Address Assignment/Delegation for details. Since that announcement, I have only been getting the "/64" PD prefix assignments, and I do not currently see the problem with CDN and round robin IPv6 servers frequently not responding.

brockalee

join:2003-08-17
Jacksonville, FL

Re: IPv6 vs IPv4 reliability through my Comcast connection

Just wanted to say thanks for posting all this info. I was basically just trying to get a feel for Comcast VOIP reliability and you gave a lot of great info in your posts. Thanks!

Review by calibax See Profile

• Location: Sunnyvale,Santa Clara,CA
Good "Easy to order, trivial install, speeds generally in excess of promised"
Bad "Nothing"
Overall "Excellent service at a reasonable price"

I switched to Comcast Business Class about 10 months ago. I have a nominal 27/7 mb connection with a /29 static CIDR block. The quoted monthly cost also includes telephone service. I generally get data speeds higher than contracted (sometimes much higher).

Both the internet and telephone connections have been almost rock solid. Nagios has reported 4 outages in the 10 months of service, all between 5 and 15 minutes. This is substantially better than my experience than my previous service. I'm able to specify reverse DNS info for my web facing systems. Inbound and outbound VPNs are solid. There are no restrictions on running servers and no data caps. On the few occasions I've needed support I've had excellent help from knowledgeable techs based in the USA.

All in all, I'm happy with my data connection and the support provided by Comcast.

Update: 4/3/21014
Have updated to 50/10mb at no additional charge, although we needed to start a new 24 month contract (not terrible as we still had 19 months to run on the old contract).

In general, internet service continues to be rock solid, although we did have an outage of 5 hours one night (as recorded by Nagios). The service was back by the time the outage was noticed. Telephone service continues to be crystal clear.

We have a Cron job that runs a speed test daily. Typically, transfer rates are around 57 mb/s down and 12 mb/s up with surprisingly little variation. Pings to the Ookla Speedtest hub in San Jose, CA (about 12 miles) is usually 11 ms, although they have fluctuated between 10 and 42 ms.

Overall, we are very satisfied with the service.

Comments:

Review by danpowers See Profile

• Location: Salem,Essex,MA
Good "When it works, it works great"
Bad "Goes out at least twice a month"
Overall "I'm a business and Internet outages are bad for us"

I upgraded to the 50/10 package most recently. When it was initially installed, I realized the Comcast Business gateway was a router and not a bridge. It is my understanding that these modems can be put in bridge mode, but it is an absolute complete nightmare. They don't really like doing it, and when I had it done, the bridge mode didn't stick. I just ended up with a router with the DHCP server off. If you run any sort of standalone router such as a SonicWall or pfSense, just get the static.

I also have been going back and fourth with corporate for over a year with intermittent outage issues. Nobody seems to be able to resolve the issue. They sent a tech and changed components in the building but it's not fixing it. All my neighbors are complaining too. Seems to be a node issue. I am in direct contact with Comcast to resolve the issue seeing as though I have called over a dozen times. Very helpful and fairly prompt. Out of the dozen people I have dealt with, I only had two people have no clue what I was talking about.

I will say when the service works, it works great. But it really harms my business when it's down. I also have no other choice for high-speed internet. DSL isn't really a choice either as I need the speed for the number of people in the office plus the VPN.

Comments:

Review by choadchimmie See Profile

• Location: Sharpsburg,Coweta,GA
Good "Dont know yet, I cant get connected"
Bad "Sales, service, price"
Overall "If you have another option you probably already taken it."

I placed my order for 50 mbit business internet with Comcast on Feb 6th. I asked the agent if I could have the contract not auto renew. She confirmed that I could and sent me the contract. The day of the install she called saying that she had cancelled my order because she was not authorized to add the provision to have the contract not auto-renew. I was forced to sign a new contract and start over with scheduling the site survey and install for different dates.

The day of my site survey no one showed up. Customer service assured me that someone would be there but late. The next rep i got told me that no tech were working because of the weather. when i mentioned their guaranteed appointment he confirmed that a 20$ credit could be added to my account then promptly hung up on me.

I called to reschedule and was told that I had not had an appointment the previous day but that I had one scheduled today. I told the rep that i was looking at the email that I was sent which indeed had the appointment listed. I'm assuming that this is a result of trying to avoid the credit.

I often deal with the Comcast ENS / Fiber division and the level of service that they provide is great but Comcast business COAX division has the worst Sales and service of any business I have ever dealt with. The level of complacency and outright hostility towards the customer is appalling. If there were any viable alternatives I would gladly take them.

Update 1

The tech who eventually come to run the new coax line was 2 hours late. He pulled the line, then cut off an existing coax line that I had personally run for my own use. He then used the cut line to connect the one he had run to the new modem. He did this simply to avoid having install another 20ft of cable.

The actual install of the new modem happened the next business day. It was fairly uneventful. It took roughly 45 minutes for support to put my modem into bridge mode.

Comments:

Review by DJRank1 See Profile

• Location: Pittsburg,Contra Costa,CA
Good "Static IP's, ability to run a server on the connection, stable, speed, no bandwidth caps"
Bad "Three year contract"
Overall "Comcast Business Class is worth the money"

First thing I want to say is that your internet connection is as good as the quality of your line running from the tap to your house. Make sure all the lines and fittings are good. RG6 cable from tap to house and in the house to the modem and it will ensure that you get a good stable connection. If you know everything is good on your end it will help with troubleshooting process.

Since I've had Comcast Business Class (2009 to present) I've never really had any major issues. Just minor issues here and there and the tech support was really on point every time I've dealt with them. They have been very polite and helpful. Overall, I'm content with what I have and may bump up one tier package in the future for faster speed. Thank you Comcast!

UPDATE:
1/9/2014

Tech came out to swap my modem out for a new 3.0 Docsis one. The next day I noticed there was a problem with connectivity. The following day I called first thing in the morning to tech support and they said they would have a tech come out the same morning and troubleshoot. The tech came and changed the modem again and replaced all the lines leading up to the modem and also changed the drop (underground). Everything has been good since. Thanks to the tech who came out and did all the work.

UPDATE:
2/6/2014

I no longer lease a modem and have 5 static IP's. I now own my own modem with a dynamic IP. I want to also update that since last summer of 2013 that I'm no longer under a three year contract. Since I made a switch to a dynamic IP, the connection does not seem as reliable as when I was on a static. Here are two comparisons:

Static: »/pingtest/4b33···/3089376

Dynamic: »/pingtest/83cc···/3142849

I've attached photos of my modem levels as well which I feel are good. Overall, I'm still happy with Comcast Business. There are no other options for faster internet in this area so I'm sticking with them.

Comments:

Review by muranternet See Profile

• Location: Saint Paul,Ramsey,MN
Good "Decent speeds, fairly good uptime"
Bad "Sometimes variable speeds late night, stupid SMC 8014 gateway, inconsistent support"
Overall "Good option for >250GB traffic, esp. if in a low usage node"

I was on a Comcast residential account in my address before this one, when it took over from the AT&T Broadband account at my loft in Lowertown. I was apprehensive due to widespread negative reviews but I have to say I have been very lucky with Comcast overall, with a few exceptions. (Had a node-wide problem that took me a LOT of calls to get resolved, but that was when I was on residential and had to suffer through lousy tech support calls.)

I signed up for Comcast workplace through my employer after pondering it for about a year. I wish I had done it sooner. I moved from a residential account with basic cable TV, standard broadband service (was getting about 16mbps/30 with powerboost down), and the usual taxes and mystery charges that go with them, totalling around $57/mo. (I bought a modem.) When I switched to business class, I dropped the basic cable TV, as that was really only there because of Comcast's pricing structure that essentially forces you to get some kind of TV service, or it actually costs more. Note: Basic cable services are always available, if you are interested in that sort of thing.

Speed has basically been about the same, and my account rep was surprised when I told him what sort of bandwidth I was getting under my residential account. I suspect I'm in a low usage area, with a lot of people using DSL instead of cable, so I may have lucked out. I know other people in different metros do not have the same experience, so YMMV. I think my old residential account was supposed to be 12/2, and my business account 12/2, but since I was basically running faster than rated anyway I saw no difference. Unfortunately I don't think the speedtest.net node in the Twin Cities is available anymore, so I can't apples to apples compare my speedboost. Sustained throughput is about the same, however.

Under a business account, Comcast forces you to use their modem, not a privately owned one, but at least they don't charge you for it. The bad news is that unless you get a higher tier account you wind up with an SMC 8014 business gateway, one of the most reviled pieces of hardware ever. DO NOT USE THIS AS A ROUTER. After having it crash several times a day due to poor handling of routing tables, I just set my own router to a static in the gateway's address range (10.1.10.x I think, check your nonexistent manual) and stuck it in a DMZ. The gateway works passably for a straight modem, though I'm still unhappy with it as it still occasionally hiccups and the double-NAT setup results in weird things like tracert not working. After talking with tech support a couple of times, they said they had seen people go crazy trying to make this work for a while, and suggested I just get a surfboard modem and provision it. Some of them will tell you you cannot do this on a business account, but this is absolutely not true unless you need a static (which I don't), so just keep hounding. I have not changed this yet, as I keep thinking I'll drop by the local Comcast office and just pick up a modem, but I have not found the time yet.

Phone support is worlds away from residential support. On residential, when my entire node was having problems, I would have to call about 12 times (no kidding) until I finally got someone on the phone, delayed them for a while, and then told them to look right at the moment that an intermittent drop was occurring in order to get anyone to fix a problem. On business class, your first call is basically to tech support 2, with people who have (so far) known what they were talking about, and had actual information and the ability to fix problems. Apparently, a truck roll is guaranteed within 4 hours of a call, though I have not had to try this yet. I may tonight, just to change out my modem.

Note that if you change from residential to business class, your old account with disappear (at least mine did) and you will be assigned a new address under Comcast. This can be pretty frustrating since I got minimal documentation when my account was changed over, and I needed to call up and find out what my new login information was. I autoforwarded all my mail so I didn't lose anything, but if you actually use your comcast.net address, make arrangements to move all your stuff to Gmail or a similar service before it poofs.

I am also a moderately heavy user with videoconferencing, streaming services, FTP, etc., and I'm sure I must have come close to the 250GB cap a couple of times in the past. The fact that business class caps are, if not non-existent, at least much more lenient (I've heard from 750GB/mo to 1-2TB/mo), is very comforting. Your sales rep may say "no cap" but that's not entirely true. What I generally hear is that the real rule is, "don't bring the node down."

I cannot comment on the other services offered with the account such as Sharepoint, Outlook server, static, rDNS, etc. as I don't use them and have intentionally turned off as many of them as I could.

In conclusion I think this is a very viable option for people who work at home, or who have employers who offer a program for it, or just people who know a bit more about what they are doing and want higher quality tech support and service. I don't know if I would be comfortable running a 20+ person small business using this as my only pipe (maybe as a backup or one of 2 "prosumer" linked pipes), and I still don't think QoS is high enough to reliably serve from a Comcast account, but at this tier of service you are basically paying slightly more (or less) for a souped-up residential account with much better support, not a five 9s service. I am quite happy about it.

UPDATE 2/17/10: 4 months in, very satisfied. I still have not changed out my SMC8014, but it has gone down maybe once very early. Has not crashed since turning off all options and DMZing my DD-WRT router to handle all port assignments and DHCP. I have gotten a couple of different answers every time I call in about changing out the gateway, from "just pick up a modem at the local office and we'll provision it" to "we have to roll a truck out and swap your SMC at the same time." As long as the SMC doesn't give me any problems I won't worry about it.

One thing to note about support is that if you call during business hours M-F you get the local office and very good techs. If you call outside of those hours you get a call center with techs who are slightly better than the residential techs but much more limited. I'm lowering support to 4 because of this and the modem swap answer flipping but still satisfied.

My contract was for 12/2, not 16/2; have update the review to reflect this. Sustained speeds are minimally 12/2, occasionally higher.

UPDATE 2/24/10: I called into support this morning at 2 and 5AM after experiencing 5% loss and effective tested uploads at 0.06-0.20Mbps for a few hours. The tech thought it might be a problem with the gateway, and offered to swap it. I asked for a SB5120, to finally be rid of the 8014, and set up an appointment for the afternoon.

However, at 1PM, speeds were fine, and I called into support again to find out how much of their troubleshooting ability they lose if I switched to a 5120, and the answer was "most of it." Therefore I have made the surprising decision to keep the 8014, double NAT and all, rather than switch to a standard bridging modem just to keep better remote support capabilities. Time will tell if it works out or not.

I'm pushing my support rating back up to 5 because I got excellent answers to my questions and support from the national call center, which I was a little leery of before.

[URL=http://www.speedtest.net][IMG]»www.speedtest.net/result/7283077···G][/URL]

UPDATE 11/1/10: Last week I had a network failure at about 3AM. I rebooted everything in my network and got nothing. The SMC8014 was visible, and had a public IP assigned but could not ping out. I called support. They were able to log into the modem but also could not ping out. After booting the modem again it was not visible, so they placed an order to have it replaced; I asked for a standard DOCSIS modem, and they agreed.

The next morning I got a call from the Tier 2 guy. Naturally at that time my network was working fine, and so they cancelled the call. He also stated that it was "not their policy" to use standard DOCSIS modems on business accounts, even dynamic ones. I told him every time I called I got a different answer on this, and personally knew 2 people who also had this service who were on standard modems, but he would have none of it. "Happy that I could resolve your problem," he actually said. I told him he really didn't do a thing.

Lowering my support score because of this unpleasant experience, but generally still happy with the service.

UPDATE 1/8/11: I've been experiencing severe upstream power drops and packet loss at night for over 2 weeks. The gateway got replaced (another 8014) and an old analog filter removed from my drop, but it wasn't fixed. I spent a week calling in most nights to report the problem, but the desk was less than helpful. Fortunately, I had a very good tech come out when the gateway was replaced, and he kept notes on the situation. I called him back directly, and he put the line techs onto it, and discovered that there was an area issue around my node. They're working on monitoring it now, which doesn't mean it's fixed yet. When I called the desk back to update the ticket, it was closed. This was because the issue had been escalated (to whom I have no idea). They did measure severed upstream power drop and loss. I got half a month's credit, but I'd rather have a working line available at night. I'm not changing my support rating, since like in all services it all depends whom you get on the phone or in the truck. I am lowering my reliability score though, because even though it's been pretty solid over the life of my service, an area line issue can still take forever to get fixed. You're still on the same infrastructure as residential customers, apparently with the same headaches if a problem happens.

UPDATE 6/21/11: Sorry I haven't updated this, but a couple of interesting things happened. First, Comcast FINALLY tracked the problem to a node in my area as they were measuring similar loss at other residences, including another business customer on the same node. It was finally taken care of. Of course, I had to call a higher level desk to get an analysis of the area done. I don't think they were very happy about a mere customer calling, but whatever it takes.

Second, I was contacted by a CC service rep on the East Coast who actually did bridge my SMC 8014. Hallelujah. I can no longer access the control panel for the modem as it no longer had a maintenance address, but since it no longer drops dead, I don't care. Powerboost speeds are also up to what they were on a 5101 residential modem (up to 30mbps boost). I posted this information in the HSI forum, and it set off a veritable cyclone of back and forth nonsense between extremely knowledgeable people who enjoy debating over what a layer 2 bridge really is and what the correct terminology is for a cable modem, all the while debating whether or not the 8014 could go into dumb modem mode. Nobody believed it until I posted the telnet command, at which point it was confirmed by a number of people who are also now out of their 8014 double-NAT hell.

Of course, nobody at CC can agree over whether or not this is a good thing, but then again nobody has actually honored my request for a standard DOCSIS modem for over a year. Therefore my support rating is not changing. To those helpful individuals who insist that the proper way to to things is to get a DOCSIS modem out of CC business: well, no shit. That's why I tried to get one for over a year. Why not ask Comcast why they don't just do things the proper way?

So I still think support is better than Residential support. Incalculably better. But how much better is still a function of who happens to answer the phone.

UPDATE 1/14/2014: Haven't updated this in a while. Still on the same service, although it's now 16/3 but no powerboost (affects almost all business class customers I think). About a year or so ago CC started charging an equipment rental fee, which I wouldn't pay for that 8014, so I returned it and got them to provision an SB6121. When PB was still active I could get 50mbps powerboost, although sadly that's gone now. Still way more reliable than the 8014 ever was even in layer 2. There are still slowdowns at times when the weather gets cold, but I haven't had a massive disaster like I've had in previous winters.

Comments:

Review by RnVteam See Profile

• Location: San Jose,Santa Clara,CA
Good "Techs want to be helpful, but their hands are tied."
Bad "service intermittant at best, slower than dial-up for days at a time"
Overall "not worth the $"

»www.speedtest.net/result/3210407205.png
»www.speedtest.net/result/3212003672.png

Comments:

Review by smunro622 See Profile

• Location: Madison Heights,Oakland,MI

3 days from order to install, 5 static ip addresses.
about 45 mins to install and get things running

member for 8.5 years, 1949 visits, last login: a few minutes ago

Comments:

Review by michieru See Profile

• Location: Miami,Miami-Dade,FL
Good "Quick and painless installation and speed is exactly as advertised."
Bad "None at this time."
Overall "Got exactly what I ordered, thanks."

Installation was on time, and I got the call from the tech letting me know he was arriving as promised over the phone during the time of purchase. Installation took about a hour and half because it was the first time cable was installed at this location.

After installation, services were quickly up and running and the tech took care of activating the modem. All I had to do was sit and watch him get the job done.

So far very happy with my cable service but I will update once I get my first bill.

UPDATE 2012-07-01: Got my first bill today for $172 this is correct because of the $99 installation charge plus the $66 dollars for internet service not including tax which was around 7 dollars. Without adding a few cents here and there it's almost exactly what I expected. I also got my bill in the mail 15 days before the balance was due so that was sent on time too.

No problems with service so far.

-Michieru

Update: Nov 30, 2013.

One outage a few months ago which only lasted an hour at 3AM in the morning. Purchased a modem because of an increase in modem rental fee as well and had no issues with activation. Had to return the modem at a authorized Comcast location. I now pay $59.95 every month.

member for 5.1 years, 1630 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by keason See Profile

• Location: Ann Arbor,Washtenaw,MI
Good "Fast, hosted exchange accounts, static IPs, good service"
Bad "expensive install on 1 & 2 year contracts, monthly fees for faster tiers"
Overall "Expensive but works well"

I ordered the 22/5 service with static IPs. It took about a week after the order was accepted to installation. Comcast gave a 4 hour windows and arrived about 1 hr later than scheduled. Hint: (Don't schedule an afternoon installation if possible!) It took less than an hour for the install, most of which was spent waiting for static IP assignment. The installer carefully matched signal strength and installed a 2 way splitter for future use.

Ping times showed a different distribution than with the dynamic residential service I had previously. Pings around Chicago averaged 25-30ms, Atlanta 60ms while Michigan were closer to 70ms with west coast pings close to 100ms. Comcast employs some strange routing logic.

Speed tests were positively inconsistent with powerboost. Downloads ranged from 55-85 Mb/sec, while uploads ranged from 5-6 Mb/sec. Sustained downloads average about 24Mb/sec, slightly better than advertised.

Comcast included an DOCSIS 3.0 SMC cable modem, configured in bridge mode. A separate box is used for a telephone connection. It worked perfectly with my firewall, unlike the Motorola 5100 DOCSIS 2 modem which was provided in a previous installation.

Overall, it worked as promised with no hassles.

Update 6 Jan 2011 - Comcast credited my account $20 for the late appointment (unsolicited). The CS in business is much better than residential. So far no glitches, drop outs, or speed issues. VoIP has worked flawlessly, and the modem has remained stable.

Update 12 Jan 2011 - Had our first outage. Called at 6pm, it was fixed at 9:30am the next day. Tech was on time and professional. It turned out that a different tech had disconnected the cable at the pole due to a residential disconnect order. The two divisions are not well coordinated. The performance difference was very noticeable compared to our ATT DSL backup - ATT constantly lagged, web pages did not load correctly, and VoIP occasionally stuttered .

Update 6 Feb 2011 - No problems or slowdowns. Speedtests have been averaging 85-95Mb down/ 5-6 Mb up at all times of the day. Sustained transfers 25Mb down/5.5Mb up.

Update 20 April 2011 - No hassles or glitches. SMC router has been very stable. Only a few momentary dropouts during the past 2 months, and no outages. Speedtests range from 15Mb/3Mb to 75Mb/6Mb depending on server used. No noticeable slowdowns during peak usage time

Update 21 May 2011 - Comcast came out again and tried to disconnect service due to a residential disconnect order. I intercepted the tech at the pole. Comcast now claims that their system is clear and it won't be disconnected again. Amazing that one outage and one near outage were caused by no communication between residential and business groups. Otherwise service working fine, powerboost still inflates speedtests. No slowdowns during peak periods.

Update 13 June 2011 - I was experiencing severe packet loss and slowdowns. Reported Sunday, was fixed on Monday. Squirrel had chewed the line.

Update 21 July 2011 - We now have upstream channel bonding. Speedtests average 80/35, and powerboost is uncapped. Uncapped powerboost is a great feature - VoIP traffic, browsing, and even some streaming services (which mostly transfer multiple small files) work very well even during long capped downloads, and we don't see much of a spike in latency when the connection is in full use.

Update 15 Jan 2012 - Well, the good stuff didn't last. Upstream bonding disappeared, Comcast started charging $7/mo for the formerly free modem (even while in contract!) , and speed is down to 15-25 down, 2-5 up on speed tests during peak hours (about 40/6 off peak). I change the 'Pre-Sale" ranking to worst as Comcast lied about the modem pricing - it was free only for the first 12 mo in a 36 mo contract! Latency is also higher during peak times. To cut costs I dropped the Static IP's and bought my own modem, and now use Dynamic DNS. Bill dropped from $127 to $100 after returning the modem and purchasing a Moto SB6120 (the only other supported modem for business class)

At least the service is still uncapped and VoIP works well. It would be nice to have the higher upstream bandwidth back.

Update 2/27/12 : Comcast added a $34 fee to switch to my own modem. They credited upon protest but acted surprised that I wouldn't pay it. Lame.

Update 6/1/12 : Comcast restored upstream bonding (4 down, 3 up) , Upstream speed tests are a little better . Used to get 80/40, then 70/8 with no bonding, now 70/12 is typical. Have had several outages but each was resolved within a few hours after calling in.

Update 2/1/13: Comcast upgraded the connection to 27/7. The increase in upload speed is much appreciated. Apart from a modem failure, connection has been pretty solid. In high use times, latency rises a bit and speed tests drop, but so far continue to exceed the 27/7 promised. Most times speed tests show around 70/30. Support has not been too helpful in diagnosing problems if you don't have their modem.

Update 11/22/13: Updated to 50/10 service, added business TV (local SD channels), and resigned contract for new $96/mo rate. Powerboost is gone, but connection runs consistently at 50/10. No outages to report so far this year. Hosted exchange continues to work well with no issues. Still pricey compared to residential since caps disappeared.