All West Communications page on DSLReports

Review by Storm97 See Profile

• Location: Evanston,Uinta,WY
Good "Great Speeds, Fair Price"
Bad "Tech Support not very knowledgeable about outages, plant work"
Overall "Pretty good service, when it works"

Allwest bought out Windjammer Communications here in Evanston, and the migration was pretty painful. Allwest already had fiber laid in 1/2 the city, and in buying up the cable plant portion, they are now the only option besides DSL for "high speed" internet.

We had a solid 3 weeks of intermittent to no connection at all, and then random outages as they changed equipment in the head-end (including a 24 hour outage for half the city). To compensate, they did up me to the 20MB package for free for 3 months (had the 10MB prior). Now that they have the kinks worked out, the service is pretty solid. The local office staff are awesome, and on top of things; it's getting through to them directly that is the tricky part.

All in all, it's a premium service at a premium price but I can't go any other way without a serious reduction in speeds so for the money, it's a pretty good option.

member for 11.6 years, 2186 visits, last login: 1.7 years ago

Comments:

Review by seangprice See Profile

• Location: Park City,Summit,UT
Good "DLS/Local Phone/HD TV Bundle!"
Bad "HD Channels not available due to System Upgrades"
Overall "For 90 Bucks a month.. can't beat this bundle"

Just moved from Park City , Utah to Wanship. At my previous location I could only get service from a Wireless provider, which was costly to install and Monthly charges were over 50 Dollars. AllWest Offers several bundles to residents in Wanship from basic tv and DSL (256k) to Full HD and (3mbs) DSL.. I chose a bundle that includes HD TV/1.5MB DSL/Phone Service for 90 Dollars a month and zero for the Install.

Their Tech told me the service is delivered over Fiber.. I haven't done to much research into this claim. Either way the service is reliable and fast. Picture quality over the TV is pretty good ( Vizio 37 Inch LCD)

I'll update now again!

(June 4 2007)

Its been about three months since install and everything is still running great. I took the jump from the 1.5Mb service to 3mbs Down and 1.5 Up due to Streaming video and audio from multiple computers in the house.

They service dropped about two weeks ago for about five minutes, If there has been anymore down time I haven't noticed. All in all Allwest provides a great service at a fair price. They offer packages that hit the 20mbs mark, but I don't think I need that much bandwith.

The only thing I wish they would rush was the HD channel upgrades. I tried getting the Local HD channels with my Antenna, but I'm not in LOS with the tower, so for now its regular SD local over the Fiber. I called their techs last week and they are hoping the upgrades are done by the third quarter.

(September 2007)

Well I'm happy to report that my connection is still running strong. I have had zero outages since my last post in June. I did try the 3mb service for a while, but for my needs I didn't really notice a benefit. HD channels are still unavailable in my area, and now they are pushing the roll out date farther back, maybe third quarter of next year. On the other hand they are testing new receivers with built in TivOs, hopefully they will be available in January of 2008.

(November 2008)

Still a happy customer for over a year and a half. The only gripe I have is is the HD Channels for our TV service, they continue to tell me they are upgrading our area, but I doubt it. Other then that, service has been rock solid, I can't recall a waking moment that my internet or phone service went down, great stability. Currently been doing a lot of web publishing and Xbox hosting, with the 786 upload, its been rock solid!

(December 2008)

Decided to add another plug for Allwest! I dropped by their web site yesterday and noticed that they were offering upgrades on the next (Higher) speed but billing you the same previous rate for 6 months, I decided to give it a try. I went from the 1.5/786 to 3.0/1.5 plan, the only thing I notice differently is streaming video, other then that not much has changed. Either way, for the same pricing, I'll keep it for six months.

Comments: