DIRECTV page on DSLReports

Review by candysofia24

• Location: Seneca,Newton,MO
Good "the promotional promises they make"
Bad "the installation, the customer service"
Overall "i do not recommend there services to anyone!!"

I have had your service for 2weeks now & I want to let everyone know how
horrible your company is being run. From the poor installation to the
promotional promises u made that u refuse to honor. I have had to call on 4
different occasions regarding different issues with my service & have about
7 hours of my time wasted on the phone dealing with them just to get
transferred to a total of 9 people between all 4 calls. Your company can't
seem to patch me threw to anyone that knows what they are doing. Your
services are a sham & your ripping off hard working people. U should be
ashamed. I will make sure that I recommend to everyone I talk to not to use
your services!! I will send as many emails, Facebook posts, tweets, letters
& even publish articles in all the local papers in my area informing people
of how u treat your customers.

(review was emailed from domain gmail.com)

Comments:

Review by liz1983 See Profile

• Location: Chantilly,Fairfax,VA
Good "I get nbc so I can watch Ellen!"
Bad "If I record Ellen I wont be able to watch it since DVR doesnt connect"
Overall "Dont sign up"

·DIRECTV

It all started in August! Hubby LOVES football, we were tired of crappy
verizon, so we make the leap and sign up with Directv! Installed without
programming remotes but thats ok. Day 2 of having service...no playlist on
other tv's??? We have 4 kids and like to record their shows for "tv time".
I call about the DVR...no fix. Now we see that the playlist will disappear
all together or if it is there it will be from last week (shows we've
already deleted will show up and new shows from that day are MIA?) I have
reset the box, had directv to my house MANY times and even had a case
manager (had a code 47 and 48..had these codes this morning!) STILL NO FIX

November when directv is tired of us calling, assign us a case
manager...who should not work in customer service..ever, told me "in 3
weeks OR SO our new SOFTWARE will fix ALL your problems, no you cannot get
out of your contract unless you pay $450" So, now its January:) December
4th my tv showed new software BUT I found out this morning that wasnt "THE"
software so my problems are still ongoing! So, NOW, JAnuary 8th I still
have directv and it still doesnt work BUT IM STILL PAYING BECASUE ITS NOT
THEIR FAULT ITS THE SOFTWARE!!!! Isnt that your fault? I feel like I should
get an hourly pay because Im always reseting, unhooking or speaking to
DIRECTV.

Tv is such a small thing in life and shouldnt be this difficult. I pay you
for a SERVICE, YOU PROVIDE ME THAT SERVICE..RIGHT? Not at directv...you pay
them and you kinda get service BUT they are working on it so as a paying
customer,I WAIT, wait until the engineers release "THE" software. Well Ive
been patient since AUGUST and IVE HAD IT.

The manager this morning tried to comfort me in telling me " THIS IS AN
ONGOING PROBLEM, YOU ARE NOT 1st PERSON I'VE TALKED TO TODAY WHO HAS THE
SAME ISSUE. Thats sad! It sure didnt make me feel better, it made me come
come online and WARN others. If you want to pay for a service and not
receive it...PICK DIRECTV...if you want a constant headache and always be
"on hold"...PICK DIRECTV If you dont want your kids watching that much
tv...PICK DIRECTV...If you like a big blue box informing you "your playlist
is disconnected" every 2 minutes...PICK DIRECTV

If you want to be in the boat of people with the "same" problem for 6
months with no fix in sight...PICK DIRECTV

The promise on their website is a script not a "promise". If that were true
I would be out the the contract, like requested, without paying you $450! I
feel you breeched the contract and have not fufilled your end...not even
close. But...the little people pay and the suits win! I cannot believe a
"new" customer has had such a horrrible experience with your company is on
the hook for the cancellation fee. Maybe you should pay me the fee and do
me a favor for once! I thought it was cheaper to keep an "old" customer
than to advertise for a "new" customer??? I hope if you have a similar
problem you TELL THE WORLD...warn people not to get involved until this
MAGIC SOFTWARE IS RELEASED! GOOD LUCK TO ALL WHO ARE NEW IN MY SHOES, AND
TO THOSE WHO ARE "OLD" CUSTOMER WHO CANT GET OUT..

Comments:
johnlm

join:2013-04-08
Eldon, MO

Package deals and the referral bonus

DirecTV advertises all the time that they offer $10 off your bill if your refer someone else to join them. But, they also pair will all kinds of telecom companies to get customers to join. I referred my mother to DirecTV and since she needed to get a new phone company at her new place, we got her a bundle with Century Link and DirecTV. As we signed her up for the bundle, Century Link informed me that we would have to contact DirecTV to get the referral discount. I spent nearly 30 minutes on the phone with a lady in the Philippines who felt it more important to lecture me on the necessity for my mother to give my account number when she signed up, than to stop for a minute an listen to what I was trying to tell her. It was obvious she had her little flow chart in front of her and was totally unable to deviate from the page she was on. I finally got an answer to have my mother call this special number and have HER give them my account number to get the discount. My mother is 73 years old and, following several strokes, is easily confused and exhausted. There is no way she could handle this on her own. I called my sister, who lives across the street from her, and asked her to call, with my mother there, so she could take care of this. Now, my sister is a 55 year old lawyer who has worked in the office of a Federal Judge for over 30 years. She is a very capable woman. She called me back later that night saying she was giving up. She said she was transferred at least 10 times, and was finally told that, yes, we could do it, but that mom was already getting a $5.00 discount for signing up with a bundle, but that if we wanted the $10.00 off both of our bills (as the referral commercial states) we would have to cancel the original work order and create a new one. My mother was moving into her new place that weekend and the original work order was scheduled for two days before she was going to be in the house. If we canceled now, she wouldn't have tv for about a week. This was unacceptable.

DirecTV gets out of giving the referral bonus by giving you a runaround that no one could possibly stand, and then by making you (working people) change your schedule to accommodate their mismanaged processes. I can't wait for the day when there is true competition between television providers. The public is always taken advantage of because most places only have one cable company, or two lame satellite providers.

Review by liz1983 See Profile

• Location: Chantilly,Fairfax,VA
Bad "The multiroom DVR is REALLY not an option until new software is installed!"
Overall "I feel ripped off and stuck in a contract with a company who doesnt hold up their end!"

·DIRECTV
It all started in August! Hubby LOVES football, we were tired of crappy verizon, so we made the leap and signed up with Directv! Installed without programming remotes but thats ok. Day 2 of having service...no playlist on other tv's??? We have 4 kids and like to record their shows for "tv time". I call about the DVR...no fix. Now we see that the playlist will disappear all together or if it is there it will be from last week (shows we've already deleted will show up and new shows from that day are MIA?) I have reset the box, had directv to my house MANY times and even had a case manager (had a code 47 and 48..had these codes this morning!) STILL NO FIX

November when directv is tired of us calling, assign us a case manager...who should not work in customer service..ever, told me "in 3 weeks OR SO our new SOFTWARE will fix ALL your problems, no you cannot get out of your contract unless you pay $450" So, now its January:) December 4th my tv showed new software BUT I found out this morning that wasnt "THE" software so my problems are still ongoing! So, NOW, JAnuary 8th I still have directv and it still doesnt work BUT IM STILL PAYING BECASUE ITS NOT THEIR FAULT ITS THE SOFTWARE!!!! Isnt that your fault? I feel like I should get an hourly pay because Im always reseting, unhooking or speaking to DIRECTV.

Tv is such a small thing in life and shouldnt be this difficult. I pay you for a SERVICE, YOU PROVIDE ME THAT SERVICE..RIGHT? Not at directv...you pay them and you kinda get service BUT they are working on it so as a paying customer,I WAIT, wait until the engineers release "THE" software. Well Ive been patient since AUGUST and IVE HAD IT.

The manager this morning tried to comfort me in telling me " THIS IS AN ONGOING PROBLEM, YOU ARE NOT 1st PERSON I'VE TALKED TO TODAY WHO HAS THE SAME ISSUE. Thats sad! It sure didnt make me feel better, it made me come online and WARN others. If you want to pay for a service and not receive it...PICK DIRECTV...if you want a constant headache and always be "on hold"...PICK DIRECTV If you dont want your kids watching that much tv...PICK DIRECTV...If you like a big blue box informing you "your playlist is disconnected" every 2 minutes...PICK DIRECTV

If you want to be in the boat of people with the "same" problem for 6 months with no fix in sight...PICK DIRECTV

The promise on their website is a script not a "promise". If that were true I would be out the the contract, like requested, without paying you $450! I feel you breeched the contract and have not fufilled your end...not even close. But...the little people pay and the suits win! I cannot believe a "new" customer has had such a horrrible experience with your company is on the hook for the cancellation fee. Directv should pay me the fee and do me a favor for once! I thought it was cheaper to keep an "old" customer than to advertise for a "new" customer??? I hope if you have a similar problem you TELL THE WORLD...warn people not to get involved until this MAGIC SOFTWARE IS RELEASED! GOOD LUCK TO ALL WHO ARE NEW IN MY SHOES, AND TO THOSE WHO ARE "OLD" CUSTOMER WHO CANT GET OUT..

Comments:

capt jack

@verizon.net

Direct TV

Sounds so much better than crappy Verizon!
join:2012-06-11

You CAN get out of the contract!

If they are NOT delivering what they promised you, they are in breach of contract, and as such you have a legal right to end that contract WITHOUT any penalties or fees as a result. You have given them MORE THAN ADEQUATE TIME TO RESOLVE THE PROBLEM YOU ARE EXPERIENCING!

Call them back and politely tell them that you wish to cancel because they are in breach of their part of the contact. Also send a snail mail return receipt requested to the executive offices briefly stating what you have communicated here.

batman69

@cvgs.net

Re: You CAN get out of the contract!

Ok for one, the directv promise is that we provide tv programing that is their agreement to all of there customers. If the equipment is faulty yet its a know issue and it be worked on then they do not let you out of the agreement, you agreed to get T.V SERVICES which means u can watch live t.v then they have every right to charge a early cancel fee cause your tv is working and you are getting programing

• Location: Bingen,Klickitat,WA
Good "nothing"
Bad "everything"
Overall "You're insane to sign up with them."
Mail,DNS,News:

I would be embarrassed to put "DIRECTV Customer Service Rep" on my resume.

I've never been late, always paid on time, ideal customer. Despite
that, every time I call I'm hung up on, put on hold and they never
come back and today I was told "sorry it's been a long week" while a
rep was really cranky with me.

What the hell is going on over there? Is this slave labor or
something? I've never so consistently encountered such a miserable
group of people each and every single time I contact DIRECTV with a
simple question like: did you get the extra receiver I sent back to
you? Seriously, it took 20 minutes and one disconnect to get an answer
to that question.

It's bizarre. If there is such a thing as a call center run out of a
prison, this is one of them. I've never longed to speak to a rep in
India before today, but that would be a much more productive
experience for sure. I'll be cancelling and finding a more
professional outfit to do business with. These people are weird. And
mean. You can imagine how this spills over into money management and
billing. Night. Mare.

Beware.

You are NOT alone!

I'm glad you mentioned this because I too experienced the EXACT same attitude that you have under the same circumstances.

Signed up for 2 yr contract. Used auto pay...fulfilled the contract for the 2 yrs. Called to cancel due to the regular price being way too high for what you get. Transferred to "retention" where the OBNOXIOUS, LOUDMOUTHED, BELIGERENT, customer NO service rep went on about how he INSISTED I tell him what it would take for me to stay before he would cancel my account....Well I told him 25$/mo with current package with NO contract....puts me on hold for 15 minutes and finally returns telling me they can't do that as the market doesn't reflect that kind of price...LOL Again I say cancel for the 10th time!!! Then this asshat yelling says "We will find all your PPVs that you ordered as you don't have a phone line connected to your receiver...CLEARLY THREATENING ME! as if it would intimidate me into renewing because I had "Cheated them"...Well I told that
forking asshole that if he checked I had only ordered ONE PPV the over the entire two years BY ACCIDENT, and had called them IMMEDIATELY after the error to have it removed...

Now that shut that monkey up finally he cancelled the account...without so much as an apology for his OUTRAGEOUS behavior on the phone, I have NEVER encountered such behavior in my over 30 years of dealing with CSRs at ANY OTHER COMPANY!

I was so disgusted that I sent a return receipt requested snail mail to the then CEO a couple of years ago and recounted what happened, I asked him to investigate and get back to me about this abusive behavior....well a couple of weeks later I received the postal slip indicating that DirecTV executive manglement had received the letter, but not ONE word out of them after that.....

I will NEVER subscribe to DirecTV again and I will tell as many other people I know to STAY AWAY FROM THEM.

DIRECTV ARE CROOKS!
Couriant

join:2012-10-29
Peoria, AZ

I concur -- and I work in a cable internet call center

I had a similar experience that I haven't had the time to forward the complaint to the higher ups and BBB. We canceled cable TV (I live in an area we don't provide services) to get DirecTV as it would have been cheaper even if I was in full price. The breakdown is:

I called up for some pre-sales question - hung up on while getting some information and the person quickly came from nice to frustrated... I was also ill at the time.

We finally ordered the services as we are moving, only to find out that the CSR didn't include the wireless clients for the Genie. No problem... however they had to do the whole order again, giving us a new account number (makes no sense to me)... which we found out that she also made a mistake (missed our referral). Also we ordered the Fox Sports A La Carte (Channels 621/622) but that somehow was missed... and now to the customer/technical support...

I called technicial support and apparantely they don't know their lineups as they told me 621 and 622 is not available as a separate package/a la carte... but their channel lineup says so otherwise. They were trying to push the full package or drop to the lower teir and get sports because my current plan does not allow to add sports to it.

Also they were trying to make themselves look good for offering me their wireless access point so I can have on-demand for free... however it was already in my order and the tech did not install it/didn't have it with him.

The field tech was nice and did a good job and so far I have had no issues with the service or it's quality (living in Arizona has it's benefits... unless you are in the north )

Now our move is done... time to rip into a manager about these inconsistencies. If it wasn't for conflict of interest, i would demand the CS Managers job and fix this ugly mess.

• Location: Hicksville,Nassau,NY
Mail,DNS,News:

payback time for direct tv. a guy named ken called me last week to offer me
a dvr and other stuff he called me at work during the night shift and was
told NO and do not call me again ,well he called back tonight and was not
given a warm welcome , i was up on a ladder and had to stop my crew to deal
with him. he thought it was so funny he blocked his number and called me
three more times . help me fill his calender . i need as many people to
call him at 1 800 375 8211 ex 105 and tell him this is what happens when
you screw with customers . it's MY money and if i chose not to give it to
you . i hold the upper hand, i'm the customer . please call often and every
time you want to vent a little tyvm dno

(review was emailed from domain gmail.com)

Comments:
Technicholas

join:2010-11-11
Winterset, IA

It isn't

»800notes.com/Phone.aspx/1-800-375-8211 its not a corporate directv its a reseller.

mjybt

@bellsouth.net

Re: It isn't

they got me with an NFL package I didn't order for an extra 30/month. I told them on the phone to just cancell service. the ass clown told me no ! and hung up. I paid the last bill for the month, they turned off the service, but continued to bill me. again I called and asked where to send equipment to, they said they would not terminate service and charges and LAUGHED and hung up. 3 months later direct TV STOLE $435.38 out of my bank account. I cancelled the bank card and my bank said that direct tv can use the info from the cancelled card and find my wifes card info to continue to charge. I had to close bank account. they are still calling and sending bills for large amounts of money. how can 4 months at $55.00/mo. add up to over $700.00? *this is why you cannot open service without a credit card. * Iwent to AT&T who set up the service and have been hanging around telling people about what they do to you. a few have changed their minds after talking to me, but more needs to be done. I guess it's time to take it to probate court.

Nickie

@bresnan.net

Horrible Choice

Choosing to go with Directv was the worst choice I ever made!!! This is a HORRIBLE company. They continued to add false charges to my account so I closed it. I paid them in full but began receiving calls months later from a collection agency stating I owed for some charge that they could not explain. Take some advice and DO NOT make the same mistake I did. Go with another cable provider.

Marcos

@galaxyvisions.com

Re: Horrible Choice

Agreed. I cancelled my service while still in contract, I was 11 months into a 2 year contract so I have to pay for 13 months @ 20 USD each. (Please note, all other providers only charge 10 USD). The rep I spoke to during the cancellation also confirmed this period of cancellation. I understood this and accepted it perfectly, even made payments towards the cancellation charge before those charges were posted, but then they have said the charges were for an additional 6 months. After several calls trying to figure why, one rep said it was because my contract was extended when I added an additional receiver (although, I paid for it 99.99 USD) and this had reset my contract. NO ONE and absolutely NO NOTIFICATION that adding additional equipment will result in EXTENSION OF CONTRACT. After continueing to contact them about this, they came to the conclusion that this was a valid charge and that I would be responsible for it. Please take note, before this decision was reached, a manager had authorized a reimbursment for the receiver, and explained the contract was not supposed to have been extended. Unfortunately, no one honored the refund and after several more hours and calls I was left with a charge and warning that if I didnt pay, I would be taken to collections. NEVER AGAIN DIRECT TV. Incompetent personnel which everytime I called gave a different answer, lack of communication (never got called back when I was promised) and most importantly illigal extension of contract as they never asked for my consent to do so!

SALYSUEFUKU

@comcast.net
DTV IS A SATELLITE PROVIDER. NOT A CABLE PROVIDER.

NotHappy

@clearwire-wmx.net

Dvr recording

They suck !!! Direct tv lie to
Me bottom line they lie to me when I sign up promising record up to 5 programs at the same time , not so only 2 programs at the same time I ask for a change and they say 200$ for a change total rip off

Review by meka2710 See Profile

• Location: Stillwater,Payne,OK
Good "Many channels"
Bad "Expensive, unauthorized charges, poor customer service"
Overall "I would not recommend DirecTV"
Mail,DNS,News:

DirecTV "gave" us an NFL package without notice. Apparently, it was a free trial offer with an auto renew, but they never informed us. We didn't use it because we didn't even know we had it. DirecTV then added the NFL package to our plan without our consent and started charging us $33 per month. Our bill went up to $197 a month! When I finally noticed it, I called to cancel the NFL pkg. I didn't ask for a refund for the past charges, I just asked to cancel the $33 pkg from that day forward. They said I couldn't cancel because I was bound by contract. They said I should have called them within days of the first charge. How could I be bound by contract when I never authorized the extra package in the first place? I wish I could switch to Dish Network but I can't until next summer without paying a big cancellation fine. I did an online search and DirecTV has a ton of negative reviews and complaints about unauthorized charges. I have paperless billing and auto payment set up for the convenience, but now I will have to check my DirecTV bill line by line for unauthorized charges every single month in case they try and do this again. A DirecTV call center employee anonymously posted on a blog that every customer needs to read ALL of the fine print on their DirecTV contract, because it states that they have the right to add packages to your plan without your consent. The employee basically stated it is the customer's fault since it is perfectly legal. I had Dish Network for over 10 years and they never added anything without our consent first. I will switch back to Dish as soon as our DirecTV contract ends.

join:2012-06-11

DirecTV is run by CRIMINALS!

I hear you.

Call them and tell that because they have NOT LIVED UP TO THEIR PART OF THE CONTRACT (by adding services they charge for without the consent of the customer) have VIOLATED their agreement with you, what they have done constitutes FRAUD!

Tell them that you IMMEDIATELY dissolve the contract because DirecTV violated it. If they refuse or give you ANY trouble ask to speak with a supervisor and inform them that if they refuse to end the contract (WITH NO FEES OR CHARGES FOR THE TERMINATION) you will be contacting your state's attorney general, and the local media.

Don't use DirecTV they are crooks.

DebbieG

@bhn.net

Re: DirecTV is run by CRIMINALS!

I agree they are crooks. I contacted my state's attorney general but it didn't do any good.
Trolling

join:2013-01-14
Ogden, UT
If you have read directv contract, You would understand that is not violating it in any way.Nfl Sunday ticket does auto renew. if You dont want that charge on your bill, Call to cancel before the season starts. I have recieved a letter with my bill that informs me to cancel that service before i get charged. if you disregarded the letter without reading it thats your fault and you sound like a jackass complaining about something you could of easily avoided.

Review by jdharshfield See Profile

• Location: Eagle River,Anchorage,AK
Bad "Directv"
Overall "Bad customer service, misleading services, stick with cable!"

Directv sucks!

You can’t watch on demand shows from any TV without recording the show on the DVR first!

On demand show are downloaded via your internet connection forcing you to upgrade your bandwidth!

If you have the average WIFI router in your home you’ll have to buy one that pushed out more bandwidth or no other devices can is the WIFI.

Directv has the worst customer service I’ve even encountered!

On 14 September 2012 we had Directv installed in our home. We are big on demand fans as we enjoy watching TV on our schedule not the networks. When directv was installed they did not install the Home Cinema Kit which lets you access on demand shows. We called Directv and they sent us the kit but to the wrong address twice, taking over a week in a half for one to actually get to us. I hooked it up and we could now get on demand shows but only on the DVR not the other 3 Directv boxes. I called Directv for the 10th about this issue and was informed for the first time that only the DVR would allow us to watch on demand shows. But if we wanted we could download the show via the DVR and then watch it on any other TV. We were sold this system under the impression that it would work just like cable, which it doesn’t! To resolve this Directv will send us another DVR for $280 or disconnect for a huge fee.

join:2012-06-11

DirecTV are SCAM ARTISTS.

DirectTV are scam artists.

Customer service is THE ABSOLUTE worst I have EVER encountered.

SD picture is like watching youtube at 240p resolution with huge blocky digital artifacts and poor color and contrast quality. Any cable service will be better.

When cancelling my service I was connected with
"customer retention". The OUTRAGEOUS csr was practically yelling at me after I told him at least ten times to simply cancel the service (I was thankfully OUT of my contract!) And thought he could "threaten:" me to stay by accusing me of ordering a lot of PPVs I hadn't payed for, blatant LIE! Only had ONE PPV ordered accidentally which was noted on my account.

I was so horrified by the experience that I sent a snail mail return requested to the then CEO of DirecTV. After about ten days I received the post office receipt that the executive offices had received the letter, but NO ONE from the executive offices ever contacted me about the issue, NOT ONE WORD FROM THEM!

DO NOT USE DirecTV, they are scam artists and crooks.

• Location: San Antonio,Bexar,TX
Mail,DNS,News:

I have had nothing but issues with directv from the moment I started
service. I requested specific services and the rep yes'd me to death and
when it came time for service to be set up, nothing was correct. There was
no internet set up. I didn't have the channels I requested. There was no
whole home dvr set up and when I called them after everything was installed
they told me that they did not have whole home dvr and that it would be an
extra charge to get the channels I wanted. The channel issue and internet
was set up that day. A couple weeks later I get one of their sales emails
and it says whole home dvr. I call them to ask why it wasn't set up and
they said they could and quoted me the price and they were going to charge
me close to $300 to have the technician come out and set it up. It took me
contacting the better business bureau to get everything I asked for without
the extra charges and hassle.

Now it's over a year later and I moved. It was cheaper for me to just pay
the cancellation fee so when I called to set up a payment plan for that as
I've since been laid off, they told me they will automatically debit my
credit card on file after 20 days. The rep told me that if I tell the bank
to reject the payment, they wll send be a bill after that. I asked for the
card they have on file and so I set that up. I checked another card
account I have today and they took it from an old card. I contacted
directv again and they "don't know why the other rep told me that" that was
the card on file and they will not be issuing a refund since the money is
owed. I explained that now my first month's rent check is going to bounce
because of them and she kept repeating that they have every right to debit
the account even though I told them they did not.

Stay away from them. Even if it's in writing it's on their terms at all
times.

join:2012-06-11

DirecTV are scam artists!

I agree they are crooks, and stiff arm bandits.

Outrageously obnoxious customer service reps! Bullies, that attempt to threaten you . Fraudulent practices abound.

See my other post I made about DirecTV in the other recent review about them listed in the reviews.

bond007

@verizon.net

Re: DirecTV are scam artists!

Directv cannot be trusted; they mislead - quote you a price, say $29.99, but by the time they done with you by adding charges here and there you total bill easily doubles what they quote you initially. Their business model is among those I avoid - they are deceptive.

Review by Jaylenn See Profile

• Location: Los Angeles,Los Angeles,CA
Good "Leaving"
Bad "Customer satisfaction, billing, customer service"
Overall "If you want your money stolen, promises broken and rude customer service sign-up...otherwise STAY AWAY!!!"
Mail,DNS,News:

The long and short of this is Direct TV has been a horrific experience. They had me sign up for auto pay then stole my money by charging me for fees that they stated I never should have been charged. They rudely continue to perpetuate the horror by not refunding money promised to me, canceling approved refund amounts, adding random charges that they reverse when I demand an explanation-which they can’t provide- and then take 30 days at a time to submit my refund for money they should never have taken. It's been 2 months and I'm still waiting on my refund! If you have money to throw away in exchange for bad customer service and bad TV service Direct TV will gladly take it off of your hands!

I signed up for Direct TV when I moved to Los Angeles. I was promised a great service, low pricing and a high customer service expectation when I first signed up. My first bill was 3 times what it was supposed to be when I signed up. I call numerous times and no one could explain why. After my 4th call the representative said she would have an "account specialist" call me back to explain the excess fees, but I never received a call. I then called three more times to try and have someone explain what was happening and no one could. When I first signed up sales person from Direct TV said that I would have 30 days to use Direct TV and if I was not completely satisfied I would be able to cancel my service without any fees. After being over charged, receiving no explanation clarifying the charges, hating the channel line up and being promised certain services that were not sent by DTV I opted to invoke my 30 day cancellation rights that were promised by the sales rep who signed me up. The person I spoke to at DTV sounded confused about what I was promised, stated that there wasn't normally a 30 period, however due to the notes on my account and DTV’s constant inability to explain what they were doing with regards to my service and billing, they would waive the early cancellation fees as long as I sent their equipment back in a timely manner. I sent everything back immediately, confirmed with DTV that the received it, however 2 weeks later I was charged an additional $400 by DTV. I called in and the person I spoke to said they were the early cancellation fees. He then began fighting with me saying that I couldn't do anything to reverse the charges. I asked him to read the notes in my account explaining that I wasn't supposed to be charged any cancellation fees. He constantly told me he couldn’t do anything about the charges until I demanded to speak to his supervisor. He placed me on hold then was suddenly able to reverse the fees and expedite the refund time from 30 days to 5-7 days. I called back 8 days later since I had yet to receive a refund and the manager I spoke to said the refund was processed then reversed and cancelled by DTV WITHOUT CALLING ME!!! He sounded perplexed and horrified and he even stated that DTV was wrong for promising a refund and then reneging on their promise...yet again. I then called my bank and disputed the charges and miraculously DTV was able to process the refund for the cancellation fees. However they only processed a partial refund and still owe me for the proration of the remaining month of service I didn’t use....and additional $100 dollars.

All in all the $29.99 monthly service package advertised by DTV was terrible TV service, terrible customer service, inexplicable charges and somehow cost me $500 for 2 weeks with DTV.

member for 2 years, 0 visits, last login: 2 years ago

join:2012-06-11

MANY subscribers have the same experience with DIRECTV!

I hear you.

My experience was not as bad as your but close.

From the HORRIBLE installation, to poor picture quality, rude and unhelpful customer service reps, and picture loss with any kind of rain or storm even though my line of sight signal was 95% .

The final straw was when after fulfilling my 2 year contract I called to cancel. The call was transferred to "retention" I was put on the line with the most obnoxious, rude, and belligerent individual I have EVER dealt with at any company in my entire life!
Upon my saying cancel several times politely, this "man" badgered me about what it would take to get me to stay with them, I told him that 25$/mo with my same channel package and no contract would be the ONLY way I would stay with them. Well instead of just saying they couldn't do this he kept putting me on hold, and finally comes back with an offer that didn't even come close. I told this man again cancel please. Still refused to simply do what I asked, then he basically yelled and threatened me with saying they would find all the PPV movies I had ordered because my box wasn't connected to the phone line!!!!LOL I told him that they would find that only ONE PPV was on that box and it had been noted in my account that I was ordered by accident and the cost removed, finally after over 30 minutes he cancelled my account.

I was so disgusted with the behavior of this idiot CSR that I wrote a
snail mail to the then CEO of DirecTV, Mike White, detailing the HORRID experience, and sent it return receipt requested to their executive offices. After two weeks I finally had the signed receipt that they had received my letter, BUT NOT ONE WORD MORE FOLLOWED from their offices!

DO NOT SUBSCRIBE TO DIRECTV. WORST SERVICE EVER!!!!

LinRenHan

@army.mil

Stole my money!!!

I had the same experience. I did cancel early, but I paid $170 when the statement came in for that specific reason. Then my balance was $0. That same week, as instructed, I mailed off the 2 DVR units I had. According to their own records they received them, ON TIME, a few days later. However ELEVEN days after receiving the boxes, $378.44 was charged to my checking account! I called, they could give me no explanation - for some reason I was being charged for the boxes, even though their records showed they had received them before the due date! They said I should see the money back in my account within 48 hours. Then I call again 2 days later, I was told 5-7 business days. On the 7th day, today, I call and they tell me they just "released" the money to my checking account today so I should see it show up in 48 hours. What the heck?! So you STEAL my money, then HOLD it for a week, then expect me to wait longer... what the heck did you steal it for anyway?! Why is it so easy to take out, but they keep it from you for a week before giving you your own money back. You want me to say thank you. Not to mention the guy on the phone today was quite rude about it, seemed annoyed that I wanted my money back. But I have checks pending and if they go through before I get my money back I have to pay NSF fees for each one! So, they cost me more that just the money they took! The guy just kept saying "sorry for the inconvenience." Thanks, pal. Because that's all this is... an inconveniece. I have bills to pay, I just had a baby a few weeks ago (added expenses just right there)... but this is just a little inconvenience.
Unhappycust

join:2012-08-22
Bernville, PA

Directv makes NO SENSE!

I had Directv installed back in March, whole home DVR and an additional unit that we rarely use. I must say the install was very professional and the charges have been correct since day 1. My problem is that, we went to use the second unit tonight to find that the LIST option did not work, you could not pause live TV if you wanted to run out of the room, nor could you record from the additional unit. After 50 minutes with customer service running me back and forth between the two units, 6 system resets on each unit, several system default resets, system tests, IP address verifications ETC I got disconnected. I called back, this time I explained the issue up to the point where I was disconnected. HERE is where it gets weird....

Turns out the whole home DVR was not working because of the Ethernet cable that they provided us with, to connect to our wireless router, to access OnDemand, when you connect this way to the internet it does not allow the whole home DVR to work. Only the main unit will function in full capacity. I was told about a wireless connector and that it was free if I ordered it online. I went online and it was $25.00 plus shipping. I called back because I thought A.) This should have been given to me on install and B.) Therefore it should be free.

Third rep comes online, cannot figure out why there is a charge but there is, then says I needed to order this within 90 days of install for it to be free and here we are five months out so there is a fee of $25. I asked for a supervisor. I spoke with them and it was explained to me that unless it was on my original statement I do not get this wireless adapter, I can order it now for $25 PLUS shipping PLUS $50 install fee and here is the kicker PLUS ANOTHER $50 because I am a 'newer' customer with less than 6 months to a year of service. WTF?! Are you kidding me?? I have a two year contract auto paid to a credit card, I don't care if I am new or not, the bills automatically paid THAT makes me an excellent customer. This makes no sense. So now we have to plug and unplug the Ethernet cable for any on demand service and Pay Per View that we want, this requires system resets and default resets over and over if we want the second unit to function as it was meant to.

Honestly, I get more and more disenchanted with corporations like this. WHAT is $25 to them when they are collecting $150.00 a month for our services for the next two years. When I worked for a Phone Company years ago we would apologize for the mistake and send out the equipment, shipping fees on us. Does anyone believe in customer service anymore? Shouldn't companies care if there customers are satisfied or not? Anyway, in a nutshell, if you order Directv, make sure you know every piece of equipment you are entitled to at no cost upon installation because once they start that billing you are screwed. Especially in that first year when you are status: Crap.

Review by northalabama See Profile

• Location: Huntsville,Madison,AL
Good "On Screen Apps, HD On-Screen Guide"
Bad "Signal Reliability Is A Joke, I Can't Watch TV In The Rain"
Overall "First Look Elsewhere If You Have Other Choices"

4/2012: left directv, see comcast review

UPDATE - Directv just rolled out a new, high resolution HD on-screen user guide that looks really nice. Good news first - searching for shows in the guide is a lot faster, and the picture quality of the guide is great with the increased resolution. They have also added movie ratings from rotten tomatoes and flixster, and rearranged their menu to use icons instead of list based choices.

The bad news, when I try to pull up my playlist on my dvr's, it takes forever for the screen to load, a good 15-20 seconds after i hit the list button on the remote. That doesn't sound like a long time, but if your sitting there, waiting for the list, it seems like an eternity. I hope they get that fixed soon.

Also, just when I thought Directv on-demand couldn't get any slower, it now takes me 3-4 hours to download one HD movie. Doesn't on-demand mean right now, not ask and get it in a few hours?

I still can't wait for U-verse to come to town so I can give their service a try. I might even consider going back to Comcast if U-verse doesn't get here soon, or if Directv's service doesn't improve.

UPDATE - The on-demand selection is slim, and I have to use my own broadband connection, which is going to get interesting with caps and overage fees from at&t. Sometimes it takes 2-3 hours to download 1 HD movie.

I called customer service, and the rep didn't really know how to help. She said she didn't have high speed internet at home and had never used Directv, and that there wasn't much information given to her to help with on-demand.

In the past, Directv has rolled out software updates to my dvr that have shut down my service in the home, at least twice. Don't they test these things before sending them out to customers?

10/2009 - Pre sales info and installation was a breeze, but the tech through trash all over the yard and in the home, and i had to clean it up later. I lose service every time it rains, and sometimes when it's cloudy.

The only reason I put up with Directv is the only other alternative is Comcast.

I cant wait for U-verse to come to town.

Comments:

pisd off

@bresnan.net

Direct TV, customer service, residential service, 2 year con

I recently (3 days ago) signed up for Direct TV having been sickened to the point of vomiting by the cable networks, I chose to go with the sattelite people. Now, two days before the Super Bowl, I learn that I'm not going to be able to see the game on Sunday due to the pissing contest between cable, and local sydicated stations-or what the hell ever. The point is that I can't host the party that I planned and Direct TV can't help me/won't help me. So, if you have another way of getting your TV needs met, I sure as hell would NOT consider Direct TV.

northalabama

join:2001-06-18
Huntsville, AL

Re: Direct TV, customer service, residential service, 2 year con

i just saw your post, and i'm curious...were you able to watch the game last sunday? most times directv will provide a national access channel for major events, like the superbowl, when there's no access through local channel service providers.
The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
catbrat90

join:2007-08-10
Cincinnati, OH

Rain Fade

Your DirecTV Service should not go out durring a normal shower if it continues I would call DirecTV to have them send out a Tech to check the alignment of your satellite Dish.

northalabama

join:2001-06-18
Huntsville, AL

Re: Rain Fade

there's a line of sight issue, and unfortunately, a dish alignment won't help. it'll take trimming some trees, or relocating the dish, and neither option is favorable. so far i have no issues with any HD channels, but rain especially, and sometimes wind, are factors. i'll have to make a decision eventually if the signal degrades further.