DIRECTV page on DSLReports

Review by hans.gurjeet

• Location: Ocoee,Orange,FL
Good "HD quality"
Bad "They like to charge for extra things even when you do not order them"
Overall "Horrible company that does not like to issue refunds"

I thought I was getting a better deal by switching from Dish Network to
Direct TV but I soon found out that Direct TV likes to tack on other
charges even when they are supposed to be free. I soon ended up having to
email their corporate headquarters and threaten to cancel my service. After
that it the service was ok and then they did the same thing again and
charged me for the same service that was supposed to be free. I had
to explain to the billing rep that I am not supposed to be charged for the
HD access and forward her a copy of the email for their corporate. I then
called and made sure that I will not be charged for the 2012 NFL Sunday
package since I am a soccer fan and not a big football fan. The other day I
get a bill and I was charged for the NFL Sunday package early renewal as
well as the HD access both things I was not supposed to be charged for. I
called the billing department and told them I want a refund back on my
credit card and I was told I am only allowed to get a credit. If you decide
to go with direct tv look at your bill every month they like to tack on
extra charges

(review was emailed from domain gmail.com)

• Location: Chipley,Washington,FL
Good "overpriced hidden cost"
Bad "high price movies 1 dollars red box hulu netflix 8 dollars watch what you want when you want"
Overall "you might watch 10 channel but you have to buy a hundred to get the ten you want free tv online uk tv"

SAVE YOUR MONEY- TV IS FREE ONLINE- 8 DOLLARS WITH NETFLIX-READ THE FINE
PRINT- DONT SIGN YOU BE SORRY- HIDDEN CHARGES- DONT SIGN AWAY ALL YOUR
RIGHTS

(review was emailed from domain gmail.com)

Comments:

Horrible

@qwest.net

I'd rather pay more with Comcast than waste time w/ DirectTV

It took DirectTV 3 scheduled times to not show up and NOT install our pre-paid satellite dish and we finally just ended up canceling because we wasted a total of 14 hours waiting for DirectTV to install our new cable system, only to not show up. i'd rather pay more money and have a cable company who actually respects my time, than pay less for a company who doesn't respect me as a customer.

Average Joe

@myvzw.com

Be careful what you ask for

We had many years of excellent service from Direct TV. This was all completely ruined in one horrible afternoon. I called six times waiting on hold for 20 minutes each time to cancel my service. I started by asking the automatic call system to cancel - 20 minutes of hold. I then called the change service line which was answered immediately by a live person and was put on hold repeatedly. I finally called the move line and found someone who could cancel our service. This all took 1 1/2 hours. Never again. Never. This level of manipulation is quite simply wrong. Be very careful what you ask for.

Review by UHF See Profile

• Location: Independence,Buchanan,IA
Good "Cheaper than Dish for first 24 months"
Bad "Lost signal, lots of misinformation at sign up"
Overall "Dish Network was much better for me"

·Mediacom
·Callcentric
·Dish Network
I was with DishNetwork for 13 years and loved it, but the prices kept creeping up. Received a flier in the mail for DirecTV at a very significant savings for 24 months, so signed up.

Told them I wanted IDENTICAL features to what I had with Dish. Namely, Two Dual Tuner HD DVRs that can record OTA channels, and two regular HD receivers. What I actually got was 3 HD boxes, and one dual tuner "whole house" DVR. When they say "whole house DVR" all they really mean is you can play back a (ONE) show on any TV in the house. Want to watch two recorded shows at the same time? Too bad, can't be done. It also doesn't record OTA channels without paying to "upgrade" to the AM21 module. That module lets you get SOME over the air channels, but not all. DirecTV decides what you can and cannot watch over the air, regardless of what signals are available.

Install was a nightmare. A 17 day nightmare, in fact. That's correct, it took SEVENTEEN DAYS for the tech to finish the install from the time he started. Also, he arrived outside of the install window I was given, he was nearly 2 hours late. He worked until midnight the first night. Seventeen days and lots of calls later he came back to finish.

I lose signal every time it rains. Often for 30 minutes or more. With Dish Network I would lose signal during only extremely heavy rain, and usually only for a few minutes. Calls to DirecTV to get this fixed result in a tech coming to the house and saying I had the strongest signal he's ever seen and the first guy that was there trained him, so there's no way he'll be able to make it better. "Besides, your coax is too long and the frequency isn't strong enough to push through it when it gets wet". Whatever, buddy... Either I have the strongest signal you've ever seen, or my coax is too long, make up your mind.

Update: I bought a DVR on ebay, and I called with the receiver number to verify it could be activated on my account before purchasing it. The CSR said, "It should work just fine". The same day it arrived I got an email from the seller apologizing for unknowingly selling me bad receivers. I was confused, since I had already verified that I could activate mine. So I called for activation and was told that I can't activate a "leased" receiver that I purchased on ebay as it was now considered "stolen property". What?

A call to the executive resolution department to straighten out the matter didn't help. I was once again told the box was "stolen". I told them I had already been told it could be used. They actually reviewed the tape recording of the call and pointed out that I was not told that it would work, only that it "should" work. They were so sorry for my misunderstanding. Oddly, they never asked for the receiver to be returned, so I still have it, even though it's a doorstop at this point. They did however offer to let me lease another DVR for half the up front price normally charged and would not require an extension of my original agreement. I declined.

After a year on DirecTV I'm considering paying the early termination fee and cancelling. I just don't care for the service compared to Dish Network. It doesn't help that I switched to save money and my bill is now higher than it was with Dish. I don't understand why.

member for 12.3 years, 5284 visits, last login: a few hours ago

• Location: Blue Eye,Stone,MO
Good "Good service, sports channel"
Bad "Billing nightmare! If they have your credit card, they will draw off it when they want to."

Direct TV is the most unethical company I have ever had. They literally
stole $1000 from our account. When we cancelled before the contract
date, due to unforeseen financial difficulties, we were sent a $971.16
bill ($136 past due balance, $15 disconnect fee, $795 misc fees), and
they drafted it out of our account prior to our receiving it.

They had a notice at the bottom of the bill that stated, "For
your convenience, in about 15 days from the Statement Date printed near
the top of this page, any total outstanding account balance will be
automatically charged to the credit/debit card we have on file for your
account." When we can't afford the $136 a month because
we are trying to feed our 4 young children, why would they
think they could draft $1000 from our account (via pre-authorized
transaction) and call it fair collection practices! What a bunch of
cheats!!!!

Katie

(review was emailed from domain coloradosos.com)

Comments:

Review by aztr0 See Profile

• Location: Brooklyn,Kings,NY
Good "When it works."
Bad "When it doesn't work due to weather AND when not due to weather."
Overall "They want your money, they don't care about customer satisfaction."
Mail,DNS,News:

I signed up for the Choice Package with 150 Channels, the regional sports package and also the Chinese package. I had 3 regular receivers and 1 HD receiver. I remember I had to pay for my HD receiver a couple years back even though the promotion stated free HD receiver. When I called them about why they charged me, they didn't give me a good answer, and pretty much said deal with it, because you have already paid and we can't refund you. Okay, call me stupid I guess, I got tricked. After a while, I would say a year into it, I would start losing signals on a perfectly good day/night. During the basketball season, MSG was not working, and after a while, the signal lost became very frequent. I finally gave DirecTV a call and told them the issue. Before the representative did anything, he told me that I was going to be charged the tech service fee of $49.95, but since I was a long time customer they will waive it. And how I should get the insurance. I said no, because if your service requires that I have to constantly call you to fix, then your company has a big problem.

The tech came and immediately knows the problem. He told me, that this thing in the satellite or the satellite itself will do this as time passes. So I'll have to get tech service again when it happens in another year. At this point I was mad, because of what he told me. But since the service was fixed for now, I didn't want to bother with DirecTV's customer service for a while. In comes, the next year, my receivers for my other rooms were old, and the remotes were not operational. I gave DirecTV a call, and asked them politely and nicely, whether the company can do anything about upgrading my receivers and/or replace my remotes. The rep tells me, unfortunately, they cannot do that. I will have to pay the price (I forgot how much) to replace them myself. I will note this, the rep did not give me any credit option to help me pay for some of the money, "because I was a valuable, long time customer." I kept my composure and told the rep I was going to have to think about whether I want to stay with the service any longer and hung up.

A couple months after, the losing signal on a good day/night issue occurred again, and I called for service. The rep told me they can't waive the fee, and the best they can do is take off $25 of the fee (this was after 2 calls, the first rep told me no fee waive at all, not even the $25). So I said okay, come and fix it. The tech came and fixed the thing. Then a couple months after, I noticed the problem is coming back again and I'm fuming, because I knew what the answers I was going to get from the customer service and I told them, it hasn't even been a year since the last service, you're going to charge me for having another tech to come over, when it obviously is your service issue? I ended that conversation and started to look for alternatives. In comes a mailing from Optimum about the triple play costing $69.95 a year. Since I already had Optimum, I knew what kind of customer service I was going to have. So I made the call to cancel DirecTV.

It was quite a funny call, I told them I was leaving the service. The rep asked why, I told the rep about all these issues that I had, and the fact that my remotes and receivers are all old and just not working properly due to age/use. The rep tells me that, DirecTV will be able to offer me credit up to $175 dollars for equipment replacement or something like that. So I was like WTF? I was told DirecTV can't do anything about crediting my equipment and I'll have to pay full amount from my pocket. Anyways, I was sick of this company by now. I was a loyal customer for many years and this is how they treat me. I'm sure people will ask, why I didn't leave earlier. I was hamstrung by my parents, since they like to watch the Chinese package that only DirecTV offered. It has gotten to that point where I just don't want to deal with DirecTV anymore and if my parents can't watch what they want, then tough luck, they'll have to settle with the Chinese channels from Optimum, since the triple play order has been placed.

Comments:

Review by magicrat See Profile

• Location: Freehold,Monmouth,NJ
Good "1080p (but at additional cost), 3d content"
Bad "Service, support, pretty much every interaction I've ever had with them, 1.5 inches of snow and no TV"
Overall "Proceed with caution"

I recently switched from Cablevision Optimum because I was unhappy with
channel selection (no 3d content, no NFL network, past contract problems
with major networks). I had used DirecTV in the past while living in AZ.
With the sales/gimicks/offers that DirecTV recently made available, I
finally decided to switch. Regretting my decision - experience so far has been disappointing.
They were unable to provide the equipment I ordered... dealing with a Standard DVR as a second receiver seemed to throw
a monkey wrench into the entire operation. At least a dozen calls led to
nothing but unkept promises, misinformation, and wasted time. Inconsistent information by uninformed and
incapable service reps across the board. Took over a month to finally get
what I ordered properly installed.
October 29 - the historic snowfall on the east coast. About 1.5 inches of
snow on the ground in Central Jersey, and no TV service. Seemed to come back online sometime overnight, but very worried about the next snow storm. Standard response is to go clean the satellite dish that they mounted on the top of your house.
I head from others
in NJ that DirecTV was not good, but I didn't heed the warnings. I really want to like my DirecTV service. NFL ticket is great, HD channels as well, picture quality is solid. But seems at every turn, another unhappy experience.
Proceed with caution.

Andy
in Freehold, NJ

Comments:

Review by tbrown See Profile

• Location: Lincoln,Lancaster,NE
Bad "Terrible!"
Mail,DNS,News:

Not only did they continue to raise there prices, they didn't even tell me they were going to until I got my bill. The connection would be interrupted if it was even sprinkling outside. Their customer service sucks. It took me 2 and 1/2 months to get a refund.

Comments:

Review by GalinMcMahon See Profile

• Location: The Dalles,Wasco,OR
Good "Good advertisements"
Bad ""Whole home" DVR, audio quality, customer service"
Overall "Dish Network was so much better"
Mail,DNS,News:

We recently switched to Directv because Dish wouldn't upgrade us to HD for free even if we signed a new contract. We got the $29 whole home DVR plus HD package which of course became the $59 package after they added all of their fees.

Initially we were displeased with the way the DVR would record. If you told it to only record first run (new) episodes of a show, it would just record all instances that the DVR hasn't seen before. Our Dish DVR didn't do that. A couple calls to tech finally got us the answer, "That shouldn't be happening." It is still happening.

Another problem with our DVR is that when you press the jump forward button, it will freeze for about 3 seconds then fast forward 30 seconds. Dish would actually jump so you'd be through 30 seconds of commercials as fast as you press the button. With DirecTV you have to actually watch all commercials albeit in fast forward.

The latest DVR problem was just noticed yesterday. We pay extra for "Whole House" DVR which is apparently a new feature they have that Dish gave us for free. But with DirecTV's version, whole house DVR is actually only 'Whole House partial DVR.' You can not pause live shows from your non-DVR receiver. You can not see what shows are scheduled to record or set the priorities on your non-DVR receiver. Yet they still call it 'Whole House' and charge extra. I spoke to a "supervisor" about this and all he could say, and I quote, is "We are not Dish Network." Well, he also said that I was stuck with my contract for another 22 months of course.

Aside from our DVR issues, we're also seeing quality issues. The HD video is just good. I'd had Dish HD a few years ago with a lower quality TV and the picture was fantastic. Also, the audio on the locals is choppy and will sometimes cut out for seconds at a time. That would be annoying with a free service but it is downright unacceptable for an expensive paid service.

Their customer service is, as can be expected, a joke. Their call center is not likely in the U.S. because I rarely get on the phone with a person I can understand. But it doesn't really matter if you can understand what they're saying because their training is so limited that you will be passed around until they find someone who is authorized to tell you that, no, "They are not Dish Network. Sorry, have a nice day."

Needless to say I will leave DirecTV as soon as my contract is up if I can't find a way out of it (i.e. false advertising...it is not "Whole" house.)

Comments:

Review by glimerman See Profile

• Location: Alpharetta,Fulton,GA
Bad "very bad"
Overall "directtv scam"

I recently decided to switch from Dishnetwork to Directv as to be qualified for new promotional deals from current Dish provider. So checked promotions on line and I called Directv. Sales person on the phone promised the best deal in universe, their premiere package-285 channels , free premium movie channels for first 3 month, ability to watch all of my recorded programs on all 3 TVs in the house. It was discussed that I am going to receive 3 HD receivers. When I asked how much I’m going to pay each month during the contract I was told $50 a month for first 3 months and then $100 for next 21 months, with a promise of an email explaining everything in detail. Email showed full price for package with no discount, so called back and asked for explanation… Oh yes, they told me that I have to apply for rebates online to get the deal, so I did and once again requested an email with the confirmation of the price promised. On my numerous calls neither the person on the phone nor the salesman could give me consistent figures for the contract (RED FLAG), but all promised my three HD receivers. Finally after threatening them with a cancelation, person on the phone admitted that for the second year of my contract I will be paying full price of $134 (RED FLAG). I was willing to agree to this pricing due to a better equipment and ability to watch prerecorded programming an all 3 TVs. When the installer showed up, I discussed the details of my contract with him and my main question, the ability to watch prerecorded programming on all 3 TVs. Imagine my surprise when he told me NO! Of cause NOT, in order to have that option you MUST have 3 HD receivers not two HD and one regular receiver as they had it in my order. But note that it was the only reason that I still was going to go with DirecTV after they lied to me about the contract price!!! Well that is what NOT in my order he says…So after a couple of hours on the phone with various Directv representatives, I found out that in order for me to have that particular option- to be able to watch my prerecorded programming on all TVs, I must upgrade to a third HD receiver for another $100.

These people are scam artists, they will not give written contract under any circumstances before the installation. DIRECTV had pursued and solicited me until they have my signed contact, after that getting through to the customer service to discuss the problem was virtually impossible. Their customer service is lousy!!!! I had to talk to 5 different custeromer service representatives just to cancel my order! Most of my 30/40 minutes calls were either disconnected or transferred to other department where I had to repeat my “live” story all over again. Do not sigh up with them or at least NOT until you get a written contract detailing the pricing and technology (how many receivers, type of receivers, etc.). TERRIBLE SERVICE~ I would NOT recommend Directv to anyone unless you want to spend the rest of your TV-watching life in misery.

Comments:

Review by DirecTVSUCKS See Profile

• Location: Export,Westmoreland,PA
Bad "THEY MAKE THE MAFIA LOOK LIKE KINDERGARTEN!"
Overall "THEY MAKE THE MAFIA LOOK LIKE KINDERGARTEN!"
Mail,DNS,News:

THEY MAKE THE MAFIA LOOK LIKE KINDERGARTEN!

In 08/2010, I purchased a package through AAA that would include DirecTV for my TV and Windstream for my landline and internet.

The Windstream part is still not functioning properly.

Although the package was set up through DirecTV, they send separate bills and hold themselves completely blameless both for any lack of service their "partner" provides, and for any lies their own DirecTV employees tell you over the phone.

I was told my rebate was for my "bundle-that's-not-bundled". I did not submit my rebate over the internet UNTIL I HAD SEMI-FUNCTIONING INTERNET. DirecTV will not honor my rebate.

They pass me around to wrong departments over the phone, until they either hang up on me or promise to have a manager call back. Which is invariably a lie. I have sat on the phone with DirecTV for hours, repeatedly. I am refused contact to anyone at DirecTV who has the authority to correct their endless bungling.