DIRECTV page on DSLReports

Review by Jaylenn See Profile

• Location: Los Angeles,Los Angeles,CA
Good "Leaving"
Bad "Customer satisfaction, billing, customer service"
Overall "If you want your money stolen, promises broken and rude customer service sign-up...otherwise STAY AWAY!!!"
Mail,DNS,News:

The long and short of this is Direct TV has been a horrific experience. They had me sign up for auto pay then stole my money by charging me for fees that they stated I never should have been charged. They rudely continue to perpetuate the horror by not refunding money promised to me, canceling approved refund amounts, adding random charges that they reverse when I demand an explanation-which they can’t provide- and then take 30 days at a time to submit my refund for money they should never have taken. It's been 2 months and I'm still waiting on my refund! If you have money to throw away in exchange for bad customer service and bad TV service Direct TV will gladly take it off of your hands!

I signed up for Direct TV when I moved to Los Angeles. I was promised a great service, low pricing and a high customer service expectation when I first signed up. My first bill was 3 times what it was supposed to be when I signed up. I call numerous times and no one could explain why. After my 4th call the representative said she would have an "account specialist" call me back to explain the excess fees, but I never received a call. I then called three more times to try and have someone explain what was happening and no one could. When I first signed up sales person from Direct TV said that I would have 30 days to use Direct TV and if I was not completely satisfied I would be able to cancel my service without any fees. After being over charged, receiving no explanation clarifying the charges, hating the channel line up and being promised certain services that were not sent by DTV I opted to invoke my 30 day cancellation rights that were promised by the sales rep who signed me up. The person I spoke to at DTV sounded confused about what I was promised, stated that there wasn't normally a 30 period, however due to the notes on my account and DTV’s constant inability to explain what they were doing with regards to my service and billing, they would waive the early cancellation fees as long as I sent their equipment back in a timely manner. I sent everything back immediately, confirmed with DTV that the received it, however 2 weeks later I was charged an additional $400 by DTV. I called in and the person I spoke to said they were the early cancellation fees. He then began fighting with me saying that I couldn't do anything to reverse the charges. I asked him to read the notes in my account explaining that I wasn't supposed to be charged any cancellation fees. He constantly told me he couldn’t do anything about the charges until I demanded to speak to his supervisor. He placed me on hold then was suddenly able to reverse the fees and expedite the refund time from 30 days to 5-7 days. I called back 8 days later since I had yet to receive a refund and the manager I spoke to said the refund was processed then reversed and cancelled by DTV WITHOUT CALLING ME!!! He sounded perplexed and horrified and he even stated that DTV was wrong for promising a refund and then reneging on their promise...yet again. I then called my bank and disputed the charges and miraculously DTV was able to process the refund for the cancellation fees. However they only processed a partial refund and still owe me for the proration of the remaining month of service I didn’t use....and additional $100 dollars.

All in all the $29.99 monthly service package advertised by DTV was terrible TV service, terrible customer service, inexplicable charges and somehow cost me $500 for 2 weeks with DTV.

join:2012-06-11

MANY subscribers have the same experience with DIRECTV!

I hear you.

My experience was not as bad as your but close.

From the HORRIBLE installation, to poor picture quality, rude and unhelpful customer service reps, and picture loss with any kind of rain or storm even though my line of sight signal was 95% .

The final straw was when after fulfilling my 2 year contract I called to cancel. The call was transferred to "retention" I was put on the line with the most obnoxious, rude, and belligerent individual I have EVER dealt with at any company in my entire life!
Upon my saying cancel several times politely, this "man" badgered me about what it would take to get me to stay with them, I told him that 25$/mo with my same channel package and no contract would be the ONLY way I would stay with them. Well instead of just saying they couldn't do this he kept putting me on hold, and finally comes back with an offer that didn't even come close. I told this man again cancel please. Still refused to simply do what I asked, then he basically yelled and threatened me with saying they would find all the PPV movies I had ordered because my box wasn't connected to the phone line!!!!LOL I told him that they would find that only ONE PPV was on that box and it had been noted in my account that I was ordered by accident and the cost removed, finally after over 30 minutes he cancelled my account.

I was so disgusted with the behavior of this idiot CSR that I wrote a
snail mail to the then CEO of DirecTV, Mike White, detailing the HORRID experience, and sent it return receipt requested to their executive offices. After two weeks I finally had the signed receipt that they had received my letter, BUT NOT ONE WORD MORE FOLLOWED from their offices!

DO NOT SUBSCRIBE TO DIRECTV. WORST SERVICE EVER!!!!

LinRenHan

@army.mil

Stole my money!!!

I had the same experience. I did cancel early, but I paid $170 when the statement came in for that specific reason. Then my balance was $0. That same week, as instructed, I mailed off the 2 DVR units I had. According to their own records they received them, ON TIME, a few days later. However ELEVEN days after receiving the boxes, $378.44 was charged to my checking account! I called, they could give me no explanation - for some reason I was being charged for the boxes, even though their records showed they had received them before the due date! They said I should see the money back in my account within 48 hours. Then I call again 2 days later, I was told 5-7 business days. On the 7th day, today, I call and they tell me they just "released" the money to my checking account today so I should see it show up in 48 hours. What the heck?! So you STEAL my money, then HOLD it for a week, then expect me to wait longer... what the heck did you steal it for anyway?! Why is it so easy to take out, but they keep it from you for a week before giving you your own money back. You want me to say thank you. Not to mention the guy on the phone today was quite rude about it, seemed annoyed that I wanted my money back. But I have checks pending and if they go through before I get my money back I have to pay NSF fees for each one! So, they cost me more that just the money they took! The guy just kept saying "sorry for the inconvenience." Thanks, pal. Because that's all this is... an inconveniece. I have bills to pay, I just had a baby a few weeks ago (added expenses just right there)... but this is just a little inconvenience.
Unhappycust

join:2012-08-22
Bernville, PA

Directv makes NO SENSE!

I had Directv installed back in March, whole home DVR and an additional unit that we rarely use. I must say the install was very professional and the charges have been correct since day 1. My problem is that, we went to use the second unit tonight to find that the LIST option did not work, you could not pause live TV if you wanted to run out of the room, nor could you record from the additional unit. After 50 minutes with customer service running me back and forth between the two units, 6 system resets on each unit, several system default resets, system tests, IP address verifications ETC I got disconnected. I called back, this time I explained the issue up to the point where I was disconnected. HERE is where it gets weird....

Turns out the whole home DVR was not working because of the Ethernet cable that they provided us with, to connect to our wireless router, to access OnDemand, when you connect this way to the internet it does not allow the whole home DVR to work. Only the main unit will function in full capacity. I was told about a wireless connector and that it was free if I ordered it online. I went online and it was $25.00 plus shipping. I called back because I thought A.) This should have been given to me on install and B.) Therefore it should be free.

Third rep comes online, cannot figure out why there is a charge but there is, then says I needed to order this within 90 days of install for it to be free and here we are five months out so there is a fee of $25. I asked for a supervisor. I spoke with them and it was explained to me that unless it was on my original statement I do not get this wireless adapter, I can order it now for $25 PLUS shipping PLUS $50 install fee and here is the kicker PLUS ANOTHER $50 because I am a 'newer' customer with less than 6 months to a year of service. WTF?! Are you kidding me?? I have a two year contract auto paid to a credit card, I don't care if I am new or not, the bills automatically paid THAT makes me an excellent customer. This makes no sense. So now we have to plug and unplug the Ethernet cable for any on demand service and Pay Per View that we want, this requires system resets and default resets over and over if we want the second unit to function as it was meant to.

Honestly, I get more and more disenchanted with corporations like this. WHAT is $25 to them when they are collecting $150.00 a month for our services for the next two years. When I worked for a Phone Company years ago we would apologize for the mistake and send out the equipment, shipping fees on us. Does anyone believe in customer service anymore? Shouldn't companies care if there customers are satisfied or not? Anyway, in a nutshell, if you order Directv, make sure you know every piece of equipment you are entitled to at no cost upon installation because once they start that billing you are screwed. Especially in that first year when you are status: Crap.

Review by northalabama See Profile

• Location: Huntsville,Madison,AL
Good "On Screen Apps, HD On-Screen Guide"
Bad "Signal Reliability Is A Joke, I Can't Watch TV In The Rain"
Overall "First Look Elsewhere If You Have Other Choices"

4/2012: left directv, see comcast review

UPDATE - Directv just rolled out a new, high resolution HD on-screen user guide that looks really nice. Good news first - searching for shows in the guide is a lot faster, and the picture quality of the guide is great with the increased resolution. They have also added movie ratings from rotten tomatoes and flixster, and rearranged their menu to use icons instead of list based choices.

The bad news, when I try to pull up my playlist on my dvr's, it takes forever for the screen to load, a good 15-20 seconds after i hit the list button on the remote. That doesn't sound like a long time, but if your sitting there, waiting for the list, it seems like an eternity. I hope they get that fixed soon.

Also, just when I thought Directv on-demand couldn't get any slower, it now takes me 3-4 hours to download one HD movie. Doesn't on-demand mean right now, not ask and get it in a few hours?

I still can't wait for U-verse to come to town so I can give their service a try. I might even consider going back to Comcast if U-verse doesn't get here soon, or if Directv's service doesn't improve.

UPDATE - The on-demand selection is slim, and I have to use my own broadband connection, which is going to get interesting with caps and overage fees from at&t. Sometimes it takes 2-3 hours to download 1 HD movie.

I called customer service, and the rep didn't really know how to help. She said she didn't have high speed internet at home and had never used Directv, and that there wasn't much information given to her to help with on-demand.

In the past, Directv has rolled out software updates to my dvr that have shut down my service in the home, at least twice. Don't they test these things before sending them out to customers?

10/2009 - Pre sales info and installation was a breeze, but the tech through trash all over the yard and in the home, and i had to clean it up later. I lose service every time it rains, and sometimes when it's cloudy.

The only reason I put up with Directv is the only other alternative is Comcast.

I cant wait for U-verse to come to town.

Comments:

Review by hans.gurjeet

• Location: Ocoee,Orange,FL
Good "HD quality"
Bad "They like to charge for extra things even when you do not order them"
Overall "Horrible company that does not like to issue refunds"

I thought I was getting a better deal by switching from Dish Network to
Direct TV but I soon found out that Direct TV likes to tack on other
charges even when they are supposed to be free. I soon ended up having to
email their corporate headquarters and threaten to cancel my service. After
that it the service was ok and then they did the same thing again and
charged me for the same service that was supposed to be free. I had
to explain to the billing rep that I am not supposed to be charged for the
HD access and forward her a copy of the email for their corporate. I then
called and made sure that I will not be charged for the 2012 NFL Sunday
package since I am a soccer fan and not a big football fan. The other day I
get a bill and I was charged for the NFL Sunday package early renewal as
well as the HD access both things I was not supposed to be charged for. I
called the billing department and told them I want a refund back on my
credit card and I was told I am only allowed to get a credit. If you decide
to go with direct tv look at your bill every month they like to tack on
extra charges

(review was emailed from domain gmail.com)

• Location: Chipley,Washington,FL
Good "overpriced hidden cost"
Bad "high price movies 1 dollars red box hulu netflix 8 dollars watch what you want when you want"
Overall "you might watch 10 channel but you have to buy a hundred to get the ten you want free tv online uk tv"

SAVE YOUR MONEY- TV IS FREE ONLINE- 8 DOLLARS WITH NETFLIX-READ THE FINE
PRINT- DONT SIGN YOU BE SORRY- HIDDEN CHARGES- DONT SIGN AWAY ALL YOUR
RIGHTS

(review was emailed from domain gmail.com)

Comments:

Horrible

@qwest.net

I'd rather pay more with Comcast than waste time w/ DirectTV

It took DirectTV 3 scheduled times to not show up and NOT install our pre-paid satellite dish and we finally just ended up canceling because we wasted a total of 14 hours waiting for DirectTV to install our new cable system, only to not show up. i'd rather pay more money and have a cable company who actually respects my time, than pay less for a company who doesn't respect me as a customer.

Average Joe

@myvzw.com

Be careful what you ask for

We had many years of excellent service from Direct TV. This was all completely ruined in one horrible afternoon. I called six times waiting on hold for 20 minutes each time to cancel my service. I started by asking the automatic call system to cancel - 20 minutes of hold. I then called the change service line which was answered immediately by a live person and was put on hold repeatedly. I finally called the move line and found someone who could cancel our service. This all took 1 1/2 hours. Never again. Never. This level of manipulation is quite simply wrong. Be very careful what you ask for.

Review by UHF See Profile

• Location: Independence,Buchanan,IA
Good "Cheaper than Dish for first 24 months"
Bad "Lost signal, lots of misinformation at sign up"
Overall "Dish Network was much better for me"

·Mediacom
·Callcentric
·Dish Network
I was with DishNetwork for 13 years and loved it, but the prices kept creeping up. Received a flier in the mail for DirecTV at a very significant savings for 24 months, so signed up.

Told them I wanted IDENTICAL features to what I had with Dish. Namely, Two Dual Tuner HD DVRs that can record OTA channels, and two regular HD receivers. What I actually got was 3 HD boxes, and one dual tuner "whole house" DVR. When they say "whole house DVR" all they really mean is you can play back a (ONE) show on any TV in the house. Want to watch two recorded shows at the same time? Too bad, can't be done. It also doesn't record OTA channels without paying to "upgrade" to the AM21 module. That module lets you get SOME over the air channels, but not all. DirecTV decides what you can and cannot watch over the air, regardless of what signals are available.

Install was a nightmare. A 17 day nightmare, in fact. That's correct, it took SEVENTEEN DAYS for the tech to finish the install from the time he started. Also, he arrived outside of the install window I was given, he was nearly 2 hours late. He worked until midnight the first night. Seventeen days and lots of calls later he came back to finish.

I lose signal every time it rains. Often for 30 minutes or more. With Dish Network I would lose signal during only extremely heavy rain, and usually only for a few minutes. Calls to DirecTV to get this fixed result in a tech coming to the house and saying I had the strongest signal he's ever seen and the first guy that was there trained him, so there's no way he'll be able to make it better. "Besides, your coax is too long and the frequency isn't strong enough to push through it when it gets wet". Whatever, buddy... Either I have the strongest signal you've ever seen, or my coax is too long, make up your mind.

Update: I bought a DVR on ebay, and I called with the receiver number to verify it could be activated on my account before purchasing it. The CSR said, "It should work just fine". The same day it arrived I got an email from the seller apologizing for unknowingly selling me bad receivers. I was confused, since I had already verified that I could activate mine. So I called for activation and was told that I can't activate a "leased" receiver that I purchased on ebay as it was now considered "stolen property". What?

A call to the executive resolution department to straighten out the matter didn't help. I was once again told the box was "stolen". I told them I had already been told it could be used. They actually reviewed the tape recording of the call and pointed out that I was not told that it would work, only that it "should" work. They were so sorry for my misunderstanding. Oddly, they never asked for the receiver to be returned, so I still have it, even though it's a doorstop at this point. They did however offer to let me lease another DVR for half the up front price normally charged and would not require an extension of my original agreement. I declined.

After a year on DirecTV I'm considering paying the early termination fee and cancelling. I just don't care for the service compared to Dish Network. It doesn't help that I switched to save money and my bill is now higher than it was with Dish. I don't understand why.

• Location: Blue Eye,Stone,MO
Good "Good service, sports channel"
Bad "Billing nightmare! If they have your credit card, they will draw off it when they want to."

Direct TV is the most unethical company I have ever had. They literally
stole $1000 from our account. When we cancelled before the contract
date, due to unforeseen financial difficulties, we were sent a $971.16
bill ($136 past due balance, $15 disconnect fee, $795 misc fees), and
they drafted it out of our account prior to our receiving it.

They had a notice at the bottom of the bill that stated, "For
your convenience, in about 15 days from the Statement Date printed near
the top of this page, any total outstanding account balance will be
automatically charged to the credit/debit card we have on file for your
account." When we can't afford the $136 a month because
we are trying to feed our 4 young children, why would they
think they could draft $1000 from our account (via pre-authorized
transaction) and call it fair collection practices! What a bunch of
cheats!!!!

Katie

(review was emailed from domain coloradosos.com)

Comments:

Review by aztr0 See Profile

• Location: Brooklyn,Kings,NY
Good "When it works."
Bad "When it doesn't work due to weather AND when not due to weather."
Overall "They want your money, they don't care about customer satisfaction."
Mail,DNS,News:

I signed up for the Choice Package with 150 Channels, the regional sports package and also the Chinese package. I had 3 regular receivers and 1 HD receiver. I remember I had to pay for my HD receiver a couple years back even though the promotion stated free HD receiver. When I called them about why they charged me, they didn't give me a good answer, and pretty much said deal with it, because you have already paid and we can't refund you. Okay, call me stupid I guess, I got tricked. After a while, I would say a year into it, I would start losing signals on a perfectly good day/night. During the basketball season, MSG was not working, and after a while, the signal lost became very frequent. I finally gave DirecTV a call and told them the issue. Before the representative did anything, he told me that I was going to be charged the tech service fee of $49.95, but since I was a long time customer they will waive it. And how I should get the insurance. I said no, because if your service requires that I have to constantly call you to fix, then your company has a big problem.

The tech came and immediately knows the problem. He told me, that this thing in the satellite or the satellite itself will do this as time passes. So I'll have to get tech service again when it happens in another year. At this point I was mad, because of what he told me. But since the service was fixed for now, I didn't want to bother with DirecTV's customer service for a while. In comes, the next year, my receivers for my other rooms were old, and the remotes were not operational. I gave DirecTV a call, and asked them politely and nicely, whether the company can do anything about upgrading my receivers and/or replace my remotes. The rep tells me, unfortunately, they cannot do that. I will have to pay the price (I forgot how much) to replace them myself. I will note this, the rep did not give me any credit option to help me pay for some of the money, "because I was a valuable, long time customer." I kept my composure and told the rep I was going to have to think about whether I want to stay with the service any longer and hung up.

A couple months after, the losing signal on a good day/night issue occurred again, and I called for service. The rep told me they can't waive the fee, and the best they can do is take off $25 of the fee (this was after 2 calls, the first rep told me no fee waive at all, not even the $25). So I said okay, come and fix it. The tech came and fixed the thing. Then a couple months after, I noticed the problem is coming back again and I'm fuming, because I knew what the answers I was going to get from the customer service and I told them, it hasn't even been a year since the last service, you're going to charge me for having another tech to come over, when it obviously is your service issue? I ended that conversation and started to look for alternatives. In comes a mailing from Optimum about the triple play costing $69.95 a year. Since I already had Optimum, I knew what kind of customer service I was going to have. So I made the call to cancel DirecTV.

It was quite a funny call, I told them I was leaving the service. The rep asked why, I told the rep about all these issues that I had, and the fact that my remotes and receivers are all old and just not working properly due to age/use. The rep tells me that, DirecTV will be able to offer me credit up to $175 dollars for equipment replacement or something like that. So I was like WTF? I was told DirecTV can't do anything about crediting my equipment and I'll have to pay full amount from my pocket. Anyways, I was sick of this company by now. I was a loyal customer for many years and this is how they treat me. I'm sure people will ask, why I didn't leave earlier. I was hamstrung by my parents, since they like to watch the Chinese package that only DirecTV offered. It has gotten to that point where I just don't want to deal with DirecTV anymore and if my parents can't watch what they want, then tough luck, they'll have to settle with the Chinese channels from Optimum, since the triple play order has been placed.

Comments:

Review by magicrat See Profile

• Location: Freehold,Monmouth,NJ
Good "1080p (but at additional cost), 3d content"
Bad "Service, support, pretty much every interaction I've ever had with them, 1.5 inches of snow and no TV"
Overall "Proceed with caution"

I recently switched from Cablevision Optimum because I was unhappy with
channel selection (no 3d content, no NFL network, past contract problems
with major networks). I had used DirecTV in the past while living in AZ.
With the sales/gimicks/offers that DirecTV recently made available, I
finally decided to switch. Regretting my decision - experience so far has been disappointing.
They were unable to provide the equipment I ordered... dealing with a Standard DVR as a second receiver seemed to throw
a monkey wrench into the entire operation. At least a dozen calls led to
nothing but unkept promises, misinformation, and wasted time. Inconsistent information by uninformed and
incapable service reps across the board. Took over a month to finally get
what I ordered properly installed.
October 29 - the historic snowfall on the east coast. About 1.5 inches of
snow on the ground in Central Jersey, and no TV service. Seemed to come back online sometime overnight, but very worried about the next snow storm. Standard response is to go clean the satellite dish that they mounted on the top of your house.
I head from others
in NJ that DirecTV was not good, but I didn't heed the warnings. I really want to like my DirecTV service. NFL ticket is great, HD channels as well, picture quality is solid. But seems at every turn, another unhappy experience.
Proceed with caution.

Andy
in Freehold, NJ

Comments:

Review by tbrown See Profile

• Location: Lincoln,Lancaster,NE
Bad "Terrible!"
Mail,DNS,News:

Not only did they continue to raise there prices, they didn't even tell me they were going to until I got my bill. The connection would be interrupted if it was even sprinkling outside. Their customer service sucks. It took me 2 and 1/2 months to get a refund.

Comments:

Review by GalinMcMahon See Profile

• Location: The Dalles,Wasco,OR
Good "Good advertisements"
Bad ""Whole home" DVR, audio quality, customer service"
Overall "Dish Network was so much better"
Mail,DNS,News:

We recently switched to Directv because Dish wouldn't upgrade us to HD for free even if we signed a new contract. We got the $29 whole home DVR plus HD package which of course became the $59 package after they added all of their fees.

Initially we were displeased with the way the DVR would record. If you told it to only record first run (new) episodes of a show, it would just record all instances that the DVR hasn't seen before. Our Dish DVR didn't do that. A couple calls to tech finally got us the answer, "That shouldn't be happening." It is still happening.

Another problem with our DVR is that when you press the jump forward button, it will freeze for about 3 seconds then fast forward 30 seconds. Dish would actually jump so you'd be through 30 seconds of commercials as fast as you press the button. With DirecTV you have to actually watch all commercials albeit in fast forward.

The latest DVR problem was just noticed yesterday. We pay extra for "Whole House" DVR which is apparently a new feature they have that Dish gave us for free. But with DirecTV's version, whole house DVR is actually only 'Whole House partial DVR.' You can not pause live shows from your non-DVR receiver. You can not see what shows are scheduled to record or set the priorities on your non-DVR receiver. Yet they still call it 'Whole House' and charge extra. I spoke to a "supervisor" about this and all he could say, and I quote, is "We are not Dish Network." Well, he also said that I was stuck with my contract for another 22 months of course.

Aside from our DVR issues, we're also seeing quality issues. The HD video is just good. I'd had Dish HD a few years ago with a lower quality TV and the picture was fantastic. Also, the audio on the locals is choppy and will sometimes cut out for seconds at a time. That would be annoying with a free service but it is downright unacceptable for an expensive paid service.

Their customer service is, as can be expected, a joke. Their call center is not likely in the U.S. because I rarely get on the phone with a person I can understand. But it doesn't really matter if you can understand what they're saying because their training is so limited that you will be passed around until they find someone who is authorized to tell you that, no, "They are not Dish Network. Sorry, have a nice day."

Needless to say I will leave DirecTV as soon as my contract is up if I can't find a way out of it (i.e. false advertising...it is not "Whole" house.)