DIRECTV page on DSLReports

• Location: New York,New York,NY
Mail,DNS,News:

My husband and I have been going through difficult times. We had a bill
coming up for Direct TV that I knew would put us over-drawn in our bank
account. I called them a week before the bill was due and told them I
could pay it the week after. I was then informed that they could not put
a stop payment on an automatic withdrawal. This I found confusing seeing
as how every other automatic bill pay I had could be stopped. I then
called my bank and put a stop payment on the payment. IT CAME OUT
ANYWAYS! I called the bank again and was informed that they removed the
money from my Debit card so there would be no way to stop it....Is this
not illegal? I thought companies could not remove money from a debt card
without the customers ok.....I did NOT give the ok! When I called DTV
back and confronted them about this I was told there was no way to get
the money back even though they made us over-drawn! But I was offered a
credit to my account. I am sorry but I can not feed my family with a
television credit! I am discussed and shocked with this company's lack
of understanding during these tough times. Honestly, this company is the
ONLY company who has been unwilling to work with us during our difficult
time. They have made it very clear that they don't care about their
customers and will take money from their empty pockets. Shame on Direct
TV!!!!!! SHAME!!!!!!!!

(review was emailed from domain bellagioresort.com)

Comments:

Review by jcricket4 See Profile

• Location: Chico,Butte,CA
Good "Good reception"
Bad "DirecTV doesn't honor promotions, Can't get 90% of channels (which are subscruiption only)"
Overall "Better than cable, but try Dish instead"
Mail,DNS,News:

I signed up during the Free-HD-for-Life promotion. I signed up for Auto Bill Pay, rebate forms, then made several calls to customer service to find out why they weren't honoring the Free-HD-for-Life.

They made up clauses that weren't in my contract.

I sent them copies of the contract, but they just said "So sue us." The lawyer costs more than the $120/year they are stealing from me.

Since my father was the launch co-ordinator for Hughes satellites (and DirecTV uses Hughes satellites), this type of company dishonesty is disappointing.

Cable providers such as Comcast are even worse, but perhaps Dish is better?

Oh yes, even though there are hundreds of channels, most are subscription only. I spent hours removing the channels that weren't available to me (using the remote control) so they wouldn't appear on my channel guide.

Comments:

Review by mgschwendtne See Profile

• Location: Allentown,Lehigh,PA
Good "Hardware, interface, picture quality"
Bad "no longer tops in HD, pricing"
Overall "too spendy when compared to dish"

I have had directv for 3 years, I think the picture quality is excellent on HD and SD. The menu's and graphic interfaces are easier to navigate than dish. When they had their HD roll out 2 years they were the king of HD, now it appears they have started to slip adding HD channels that I want to watch. Their pricing is higher than the competition after the 1st years of your contract. Their video on demand is easier to navigate and has more choices than dish. They could be a bit more competitive if they offered a decent package between family and choice

Comments:

Review by tobyn See Profile

• Location: New York,New York,NY
Good "It worked for about 30 minutes"
Bad "The entire rest of the time"
Overall "Most expensive 30 minutes of TV ever"

I moved into one of the large apartment buildings in NYC's financial district. I was happily surprised to find out I could get internet service from my previous provider (who I won't name because this isn't about them), but I had to go elsewhere for TV. It was between DirecTV and the cable company that served the building, so I flipped a coin and chose DirecTV.

I called up their installer that handled service to my building, and got a basic package. I don't really care too much about TV, but Thanksgiving was coming up and I was going to have family in town who would want to watch the parade, football games, etc. Fortunately they were able to send somebody out Wednesday morning to set things up.

The installer was prompt, I assume I was his first appointment of the day, and he showed up right at the beginning of my install window, which was nice. The install took a bit longer than I expected considering the dish is already on the roof and the whole building is wired up already, but the picture was crystal clear when the guy left, so I can't say anything bad about the process. I was enjoying channel surfing for the first time in a couple weeks, thought the DVR UI was nice, and was generally pleased with myself for picking DirecTV.

That's when the trouble started.

A couple of my relatives decided to watch an On Demand movie. Shortly after the beginning of said movie, the picture started getting blocky artifacts and the sound clicked, popped, and periodically cut out. I figured it was just the movie, so we switched it back to TV. Sadly, it was the same there. Many channels wouldn't come in at all, and those that would were completely unwatchable due to the artifacts, sound problems, and an occasional switch of the picture or sound (or even both) to a completely different channel.

I tried to contact the installer, but they hadn't left a card or any other piece of paper and their website was down (it was down for well over a day, but appears to be back now). Concerned about a scam (even though they didn't have any of my personal or financial info since setup was free), I went to DirecTV's website and tried to sign up for my account there. They didn't see me as a customer. Great.

Concerned that I had somehow fell for something, I called DirecTV directly trying to get to the bottom of the issue. Of course, before I could talk to someone I had to go through 10 minutes of automated troubleshooting. This process tries to reset your box, which (in my case at least) takes longer than the robot is willing to hold, so don't bother doing it, because if you wait until it's done the robot will simply declare that you've used too much of its valuable time and hang up on you (once it says it's doing this, there's no way to stop it, and there's no warning, so seriously don't bother).

Some time later I got to a very polite and upbeat CSR with virtually no hold time. After explaining what happened, and that I wasn't sure if I had run into some criminals acting like a third party installer (I told her the company name and everything; this bit of info is important later...), I was both happy and a little disturbed to find out that "everything was fine" as far as they were concerned and I was a customer in their system (one that apparently their website couldn't look up for some reason) with the right service package and everything. The nice lady on the other end of the phone offered to help me resolve my online account woes, but I figured we could wait until the TV was working first since scheduling my DVR remotely wasn't exactly top priority.

After reassuring me that this was a very common problem that she could resolve easily, she ran me through the basic reset process for the box which was listed in the troubleshooting steps in the manual that came with it. I had already done this, and it took about 10 minutes, but I complied and the results were as expected: no change. She reactivated things on her end a couple times, with no change either. That was pretty much the end of her ability, so she scheduled a service call for the day after Thanksgiving (Sweet! No football or parade! Thanks DirecTV! Fortunately my building has a lounge with cable...).

On the day of the service call, I received a call from their technician stating that I was in a multiple-dwelling unit building (which I had told them) and that a third party contractor (whose name I had already given them) had to handle all of the installation and service issues. I told the guy fine, and not to come, and since he had no solution for me other than to call the company I couldn't reach, I decided I should cancel my service.

Upon calling to cancel my service, I was told the operator could get in touch with my contractor. Too little, too late. I was not offered any sort of compensation (other than not being forced to pay for the service I already "used" -- THANKS!) for the hassle, so I told them to put the cancellation through. At that point I was informed that I would be charged $200+ because I had agreed to the service for 12 months, which is of course a complete scam since I never actually got to use the service, but I figured it was par for the course at that point and I remembered reading something like that in the fine print so I didn't press the issue. Rest assured I'll deal with that when the bill comes.

So here I am. Four days after ordering DirecTV I am: without television, slightly embarrassed that my family spent the holiday floating between my apartment and the building lounge, waiting on an empty box and a bill for $200.

Comments:

Review by pyakit See Profile

• Location: Wyoming,Kent,MI
Good "none"
Bad "slow, dns probs, 3 sec delay before anything happends"
Overall "worst ever internet. barely better than dial up"
Mail,DNS,News:

Had a directway dish about 4 foot and 1000$ and then got 3 second pings and the slowest connection ever. Also got capped at 128 k after the first big file i sent or downloaded and the cap would stay for the whole day basically. Worst pos i ever had. Go to microwave its sooooo much better.

Comments:

Review by jameswade See Profile

• Location: Marshall,Madison,NC
Good "I can move my receiver to wherever I'm living at the time"
Bad "Poor picture quality"
Overall "If you need satellite, try Dish Network"

I have SD only with a DirecTivo. The DirecTivo works pretty well and it records the MPEG transport stream directly from DirecTV rather than converting back to analog as you would have to with a regular Tivo.

My problems with DirecTV:

Picture quality is worse than any other digital service that I've seen.

Atlanta local channels have terrible ghosting in them, worse than rabbit ears! I cannot gett DirecTV to fix this.

DirecTV have taken away channels that I watch and replaced them with shopping or religious channels - or moved them up to the next tier.

We only watch about 15 channels, but we get the baggage (and bill) for hundreds of other channels. Of course, this is a problem with the whole cable industry.

Customer support is terrible, they don't understand their product much of the time.

I have viewed Dish and DirecTV side by side with identical HD monitors, the HD service on Dish is much better.

Bottom line is that I'd switch to Dish HD if they had decent software in their DVRs. Nothing I've seen is as good as Tivo.

Another problem with Dish is that they require you to have your receiver connected to a phone line or they will charge you an extra $5.00/month.

member for 12.3 years, 2717 visits, last login: 1.2 years ago

Comments:

Review by SteveLV702 See Profile

• Location: Virginia Beach,Virginia Beach City,VA
Good "The receivers look nice with the rest of my equipment"
Bad "Service doesn't work, dvr dont work"
Overall "Don't purchase unless you like to throw money down the drain."
Mail,DNS,News:

I'm about to cancel my non-working DirectTV service. I'm going back to cable service. My satalite service hasn't worked correctly in over 2 months. The channel you want to watch doesnt work says searching for signatal on satalite in 1 yet every other channel works fine and its sunny and clear outside and nothing blocking the dish. I also have a DVR which thats just rediculous it doesnt record half the stuff I have set to record.. Then the half that does record it doesnt record right... for example my wife has it reset to record Grey's Anatomy on Thursday nights on channel 13 yet this week didnt record at all. The week before it said it recorded but the next day when she went to watch it it was some Clint Eastwood movie on some western channel so didnt even record right channel. I have also the HD Package which tv shows like 15-25 HD Channels but I only get 5 of them.. what up with that.. Their Tech Support is non-existing they just have me reset my receiver.. that dont work.

-------------UPDATE----------------

I have cancelled my Service with DirecTV and switched to Cox Digital Cable and can't be more happier..

member for 9.9 years, 2018 visits, last login: 129 days ago