Tell me more x
, there is a new speed test available. Give it a try, leave feedback!

DIRECTV page on DSLReports

Review by maestro7 See Profile

• Location: Loganville,Walton,GA
Good "Always up and responsive CSRs, both live and email"
Bad "Prices will continue rising in 2014"
Overall "Probably the best service and deals in the industry"

·AT&T Southeast
After having written about AT&T DSL and Comcast HSI lately, I decided to post a recent review on DirecTV after re-initiating my yearly HD fee call to them.

More than 10 years ago my now wife had DirecTV service, and after we got married I saw no reason to talk her out of it, especially as our upgrade to HD everything in the house (just two receivers at this point - the standard HD DVR and non-DVR HD receiver) about 3 years ago was installed flawlessly.

At the moment, we pay approximately $83 and change per month for service. This includes a grandfathered Choice plan sitting at $71, receiver fee (second fee apparently permanently waived), DVR fee, $5 BellSouth bundle credit, and an ever-going $10 HD fee credit.

I'm pretty sure we've never paid the HD fee. In fact, this time, I emailed DirecTV asking when our previous $10 off/month credit would expire (turning out to be a few days ago), and they asked me to call in to talk. I did.

Mind you, I was nice to the CSR who answered, knowing that DirecTV CSRs really, really like a good haggling conversation (last year I ended up getting a full $30 credit for a year by being aggressive with them).

So, their first response was $5 credit for six months. My response was to back off and thanked her for her time (I believe I mentioned to her that I was aware that package prices were going up in 2014 [likely by $3 for my tier], so I knew this would only net a savings of $2/month). She immediately responded by asking why I wouldn't want this deal. I responded by saying, "I think we can do better than that."

She came back after a matter of seconds and gave me $10/month credit for a year. I immediately said this was fantastic and thanked her (it didn't hurt that we're long-time customers and have been off contract for more than a year).

Now, regarding our equipment, neither my wife nor I have any intentions of upgrading, as everything is good for now. Besides, based on discussions on this site, I'm sure that'll be another 20-minute call to positively haggle a deal on the Genie devices (or whatever's latest at that point). The last time I called to check up on that (more than 6 months ago), they wanted $1000 for the DVR receiver, $300 for whole-home install, and some other sum to install. Of course, we'd long leave before we'd agree to those kinds of prices, especially since most folks can now get all the above for a fraction of that total cost. Plus, I'm not inclined to kow-tow to another 2-year agreement quite yet.

Continuing to enjoy DirecTV...

-- Update: 12/30/2013:

Apparently some subscribers are permanently eligible for free (no hardware cost) upgrade to the current Genie/client system, potentially including the wireless Genie client (currently in limited rollout).

Details of my experience here:

»www.satelliteguys.us/threads/326 ··· t3338840

Comments:
System

(topic move) Lost signal last night cant get any service tech

»Lost signal last night cant get any service tech

Moderator Action
This topic was moved to the forum Cable & Satellite TV

lorenbeatty

@qwest.net

review

While the tv service is good they have the absolute worst customer service I have ever experienced in my entire life...and As a retired police officer i know customer service
maestro7

join:2004-08-31
Loganville, GA
·DIRECTV
·AT&T Southeast

Re: review

said by lorenbeatty :

I'm really sorry to hear that.

What's strange to me is that I seem to encounter significantly worse attitudes from the random CSRs at AT&T or Comcast than I do at DirecTV.

Maybe you came across some bad ones at DirecTV, or maybe they just see that our account is so old and out of contract that they don't immediately try to piss me off

LaLeMerrill

@cox.net
The WORST customer service. Scam status. I have made phone calls to cancel particular programming, DOGTV for example, but when I call to dispute the continued charges, they show no record of my phone calls to cancel. This is only ONE of many examples. I am pleased to know I am not alone --- unfortunately

Review by premiumdsl4v See Profile

• Location: Houston,Harris,TX
Good "Delivered advertised product accordingly."
Bad "Weather related, when it storms, creates an outage, naturally."
Overall "Outstanding company, Outstanding product, and service."

Basic service.
Install went smoothly, no glitches.
Was struck by how quickly the install went. Prompt!

Did learn about the code 771 that appears on the tv Just after a storm hits and knocks off the signal. How to rectify. Pleasant experience, and did see where the paper guide even mentions about that code. In Our case, it actually was just that, cause of the storm- code appeared and did what instruction stated and rectified itself. Thankfully.

Only bad thing is the Satellite gets interference from Thunderstorms, and even heavy rainstorms.

Comments:

Pip

@spcsdns.net

Direct tv warranty program

I purchased the direct tv warranty plan now keep in mind, after they told me it covers every tv in the home regardless how old i called for repair and they said they didnt cover my tv and the customer rep started to insult my intelligence by saying we dont repair microwaves,stoves or refrigerator either i thought she was rude and sarcastic so people when direct tv say this or that triple check to make sure its true....signed watch out for liars

Review by comp See Profile

• Location: Evans City,Butler,PA
Good "Best Choice for HD and Sports"
Bad "None Really"
Overall "WAYYY Better than Armstrong Cable"

·Armstrong Zoom ..
Had Directv for 3 years and will never switch back to cable.

member for 13.6 years, 5661 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

no name

@verizon.net

horrible service don't ever get it

first off every time it rains you can't watch tv. if you move they what to charge you to set up the satellite again. second they lie to you about prices and charge you more than what they said. third when you get your final bill they charge you for all these none sense things and have no way to show you your statement from the charge. DONT EVER GET DIRECTV they suck

Shax

Re: horrible service don't ever get it

I have never had that experience. I have been with them for 12 years and moved during that time. I got free installation, free dish and receiver upgrades and everything. I get billed for everything I signed up for. I have had signal loss 2 times (that I am aware of) in 12 years. Once during a torrential downpour, and once when I had about 2 inches of ice on the dish. Total outage time was about 20-30 minutes between both incidents. I LOVE Direct TV and highly recommend it.

Navyvet

@comcast.net
Get Comcast then and talk to the folks in the Asia. Directv is the best customer service I ever had and they are in the US. They follow up and I love them. Sure there are storm issues with Directv however, after Hurricane Sandy on the east coast, Comcast was out for weeks. No discount. I hate comcast I want them out of my house and I hate folks who send US jobs overseas. Comcast is a cash cow and raping the US of jobs.

byblos007

@168.221.143.x

Re: horrible service don't ever get it

Hi, direct tv installed my service yesterday and today it stopped working. I called to cancel they said there is a 900 dollars termination fee. What a great company

Elene

@comcast.net
I was transferred to direct tv from Verizon cause they r not in my area. Omg. For a sales team how rude.... They would not even tell me the price if packages until they do a credit check and set up a install what's wrong with that picture. The sales person was talking over me and said there must be a reason ur shopping g etc... I will never consider direct tv can u imagine after u have service what they provide.

jjarvis

@sbcglobal.net

Direct TV

Well I signed up and then decided not to, due to the fact you have to pay to cancel, So every business, make a product that people do not want to cancel. I do not know what is going to happen two years down the road. Nope not going to do it.

fuck directv

@optonline.net

the worst service provider in the US!

i would not advice anyone to get direct t because they are the worst service providers ever in the USA. they are all bunch of piers, ranging from installers to supervisors.

horus

@tmodns.net

Re: the worst service provider in the US!

Yes you right,never give them your credit card number,if you do it get ready for surprise,they will stole your money in the most shameful manner,even if you account its already canceled.
said by fuck directv :

bob25

@sigecom.net

worst service don't ever get direct tv

We recently got behind on our payment when my wife lost her job. Derict tv would not work with us at all. Since we use our debit card before to make a payment. They said they can bill us without our permission. Which they did.Then they said they would bill us again and there was nothing we could to stop it. Don't ever give these people your debit/credit card or acount information. Their service completely sucks. Every time we got a little rain our service went out. The service was ok when the weather nice. Direct tv's customer service and dish service is a freaking joke. If you use them just be careful.

Review by David See Profile

• Location: Granite City,Madison,IL
Good "Great channel selection,"
Bad "Tech support can be hit or miss"
Overall "Works, and works well for a dual reciever"
Mail,DNS,News:

Service worked on the day it was installed, only had to call repair about 2x that I can remember. The first guy stated I needed a new head unit and told me it would be $400 to replace. When I called back to cancel my service (I have been out of contract) they seemed to be more responsive in helping me. Main problem was the unit was stuck at like 75% on it's reload status (we lost power for a bit, and the main unit didn't want to reload completely). When I called back they stated that unit just needs it's memory jogged a bit, they had me go in and change the transponder to another channel and change it back, It worked and it came back up.

Cancel ling and adding service via DirecTv is easy to do as well as upgrading and downgrading your service pkg. Right now the price is at $65/month, but I am shopping the competition to see what's available as well as channel selection.

Still for the years I have had it 2004-Now it's been rather reliable. I have at most only had 2 outages (minus the power outages) that was because of the service. Not bad for a 5 year run.

04/15/10
Still have the service, got a discount of about $10 for the next year which lowered the price to $58/month.

10/24/11-
This service is starting to disappoint as of late. The carriage disputes are one thing, but with the new boxes we got last year this one has been getting worse. I am starting to "shop around" as the value here on DirecTv is diminishing.

05/15/13- I have been investigating tv pkgs as the current $75/month is kind of sticking to me as there isn't much on tv I really care to watch but netflix has plenty. Another thing on my list of things to do is either they re-negotiate or I cancel. Either or won't bother me in the least.

Comments:
younghov22

join:2013-06-20
San Diego, CA

Hi Speed Internet

Do you have your internet thru DIRECTV? If so, how is it and would you recommend it? Thanks!

David
I start new work on
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL

Re: Hi Speed Internet

Don't have internet through them as I have around me charter cable, DSLextreme, and AT&T uverse.

Review by Mr_A1 See Profile

• Location: Dickson,Dickson,TN
Good "Matched or better value than AT&T UVerse with superior HD picture quality"
Overall "If you want great picture quality for the price consider Directv."
Mail,DNS,News:

I switched back to Directv from AT&T UVerse after an almost 2 year break; I cannot believe I actually tried UVerse and kept it as long as I did. The install was short with an update to a SWiM LNB with DECA and an HR24-100 DVR. The picture quality to 1000x better than UVerse ever was and no DD sound issues as with UVerse, which caused me to use just stereo instead of DD. Now, with the new HDGUI and other new items coming out, Directv is starting to jump ahead of the competition.

member for 10.9 years, 3780 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

RandyButler

@embarqhsd.net

unscrupulous business practices

In Dec Directv agent came to mom's home, sold her a package. (78 years old on
social security). I (son, on ss also) agreed to pay the up front $50 up for her. Used
my ATM with agreement, no auto billing.(Not my account) Billing to be moved to her
(mom's) Centurylink bill next month (Jan.) Promised would not be charged for premimum
channels following trial period, turn them off.

The install, a fiasco. System never worked correctly. What hardware that does work,
extremely buggy. Tried to bill for their new bad hardware (3 mo old). Tech stole
a 5V power supply, used it where 12v was needed, left trash over house, yard. Obviously
no testing, no explanations (installed late Friday)

Billing with Centurylink never happened. I was good guy, paid January bill online
because they billed ME online (not mine!). February's, they illegally hit my ATM. In March,
illegally hit my ATM, including cost of premimum channels. March withdrawal caused
bounced checks and to miss Easter with my children.

My kids are hurt. The junk doesn't work. I am out big bucks! They refuse to return money
they stole from me for somebody Else's bill.

This is wire fraud and id theft! watch out it is a scam. Legal action in progress.

Review by stev32k See Profile

• Location: Mobile,Mobile,AL
Good "The install was the best I've had. On time and the tech earned his money"
Bad "Nothing so far"
Overall "Wish I had switched a long time ago"

·Mediacom
Update 3/12/13

I canceled the DTV service. The service was good but the price was too high and we do not watch enough TV to justify the $90/mo they were charging. When I called to cancel I had to put up with a 15 minute sales pitch trying to talk me into staying with the service. They offered to reduce my bill to $60/month, or give me a lower priced package for even less. I told the lady if they had reduced my bill a year ago I might not be cancelling now.

They sent me a pre-paid shipping box to return the receivers. I thought that was a nice touch.

---------------------------------

Everything about DTV has been very good so far. The installation was completed the day after I signed up. The tech that did the install did a very good job. He completely re-wired the whole house. The existing cable was over 15 years old and he replaced all of it (and did a good job) without my asking.

I had Mediacom cable service for 12 years and thought they had pretty good picture quality, but DTV is better. It might be because of the new cable - not sure - but what ever the reason it is better. I love the DVR service. I never had it before now and it has made me enjoy TV as much as I use to. The HD channel line up is much better than Mediacom and the best part is the price is lower than Mediacom. Even after the introductory period (12 months) the full price will still be lower.

Edit April 9, 2012

After a little over a year I still like DTV very much. No problems with the service, picture, or anything else so far. I think there was one outage that lasted for about 5 or 10 minutes during a bad thunder storm. The picture I get on my Panasonic Plasma TV is amazing and several people have commented on it - I think one has since switched to DTV from Comcast.

Comments:

ymhee_bcex
join:2006-04-21
Tarzana, CA
·PHONE POWER

All are about the same

These over the top accusations in ALL CAPS sound like they are coming from somebody who is unhinged... They are CROOKS! No, they are THIEVES! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!1I1! Frankly, you don't sound very convincing.

I've had DirecTV, Dish, and Time Warner over last 10 years. They are all about the same. Time Warner has a bigger selection of free Video-on-demand; DirecTV is a little cheaper. They also have better technical support folks on the phone than Time Warner. TW was quicker to dispatch a technician (Level 1 support often made these decisions without even getting to L2), those guys were quite knowledgeable but in several cases the problem was on the server, and the trip wasn't really necessary.

TW has better web-based programming tools, but DirecTV has a more liberal watching policies - my wife often watches the shows on her computer at work.

From billing perspective didn't have any problems with either of them. Time Warner requested that I return the receivers to the office (which is next to my daughter's school, so it wasn't a big deal); I did but TW didn't process it properly. So, they put a charge of $50 for technician visit. The first person on the phone didn't have a clue, but the supervisor apologized and reversed the charges. DirecTV sent boxes for DVRs; they didn't need non-DVR receivers. Don't remember what happened with Dish, but didn't have any problems either.

THEY ARE THE SAME!!! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
Technical problems are more often than not management incompetence masquerading as technical issues

upset

@sbcglobal.net

changing customer policy and hidden fees from Direct TV

Initially the service with Direct TV was good, but we found a better deal with AT&T U-verse.

When it came time to cancel, we asked multiple times if there was a cancellation fee.

Months later we received a bill for a cancellation fee. Now over a year later we are still getting harassed by a collection agency.

How come Direct TV does not listen to all those recorded phone conversations and acknowledge that one of their agents assured us that there would be no cancellation fee?????

Review by brettarmstrong93

• Location: Opelika,Lee,AL
Mail,DNS,News:

I was told to be here at noon and the installer would come between noon and 4. At 4, a lady three states away called and told me the guy would be here between 4 & 5. It is now 5:20, no one has arrived & the automated calling service says my installer is 45 minutes away! Would not recommend.

Sent from my iPhone

(review was emailed from domain gmail.com)

Comments:

Mp

Direct tv is a SCAM!

Direct tv is a scam because they sent me a flyer for 200 dollar debit card for signin up for direct tv an then I called an spoke to multiple people and they all were saying that I wasn't eligible for the debit card when that was the whole reason I signed up they just suck you in an then scam you I would not recommend direct tv too anyone. This is ridiculous. Because they said the people that signed me up for it didn't put the debit card on my account saying that I was able to get the debit card. That is a scam.

Suckered

Re: Direct tv is a SCAM!

Wow! Same issue here just tonight. Suppose to be here by 4pm, automated call came after we got a call around 5 minutes after 4 from installer. Automated called said same, 45 minutes away. The installer got here around 4:30, had to call in a friend to help and they left here at 7:30.
ollie71

join:2013-01-02

Unhappy with new DTV install

DTV was installed 10/18/12. Installation rep did not go over what he was installing, to see if it was what I ordered/wanted. He had probems connecting to my WiFi, but said it was corrected, then left. I had intermittent trouble since then with WiFi connections & pixillation. Called them 10/28/12 c/o pixillating on tv screen & they assisted with correcting it. Thought all issues were resolved, but NO they weren't. Called them again 11/22/12 about loss of WiFi connection. Received new ethernet cable after Thanksgiving. Still had problems, so called them again. Today, tech came to house & said there were initial install problems & corrected them, got rid of ethernet & WiFi works great! But we discovered that we did not have GENIE DVR, as I had requested in the first place. Called Customer Service & they said they had only one record of my calling with complaints, & that I couldn't get the free GENIE because I waited too long to tell them that what I had wasn't what I ordered. The GENIE would be $500, not free like the ads state! Rep gave me every excuse in the book, blaming ME for not knowing that I didn't have a GENIE, not accepting any responsibility for the 'bait and switch'! How was I to know that what looked like a GENIE wasn't one? As I said my reception was intermittent. I would NEVER recommend DTV to anyone! I now know that many of my friends/family have also had negative reviews of DTV.

Janet

@mycingular.net

Direct tv sucks

Direct tv sucks they told me I could cancel at no cost 30 days after activation n when I called to cancel due to unsatisfactory service they told me that I have to pay $460 are u kidding me?? Do not recommend. Dish is much better service

Richga

@wayport.net

Re: Direct tv sucks

same thing here.. this was the only reason i had dtv installed. a 30 day cancellation option. called on day 28 only to hear the same thing. $480 in fees. they said i had to cncel within the first 24 hour. i can't wait for this contract to be gone..

blxiblues

@comcast.net

SLIMY Sales Technique !!!

Although they talk a good talk, DIRECT TV is just as slimy as all the others. I called to explore the option of switching from COMCAST. I just wanted info. My bad: I allowed myself to be railroaded into scheduling a tentative installation appt. Their bad: Even though I cancelled the appt 12 hours later, the installation charge still appeared on my credit card, and now I will wait 10 days for a refund. Just as bad as COMCAST, maybe worse.

Keel

@bellsouth.net

Direc TV

In comparison to Dishnetwork, DirecT TV is a thief. It is obvious that Dishnetwork are honest people; they are upfront as to what you will pay for your monthly services. I signed a contract for a fixed monthly payment during a promotion for two years. When I received my first month bill, it was on target. When the second bill arrived, the payment had ballooned up. They are deceitful when they tell the customers about their initial sign-on, and once the contract is signed they manipulate your account to their satisfaction. "DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH DIRECT TV," it is a scam, and they come up with all kinds of lies to cover their backs. Apparently, they think that the American public is stupid. Well, those same customers have friends and they have friends that will give them heads up about Direct tv's scams. Eventually, their business/wall will come tumbling down. YOU REAP WHAT YOU SOW DIRECT TV!!! One pissed off unsatisfied short-term customer.

Re: Direc TV

Well Dish Network is a joke. They lie, lie, lie!!! My bill has never been right. I should be paying around $130.00 give or take a dollar or two but my bills have been over $200.00. Every time you talk to someone they change their story. My husband was talking to some lady and wanted to fax her our statements for the last year and a half, she wanted no part of it. She got defensive and said she was looking at the same statement but it wasn't reading what was on ours. They are liers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

scamed

@spcsdns.net

thief

direct tv is a thief got my atm card number for hookup charged me and then canceled said soneone else lived their before so they had to keep my money now I have to cancel my debit card.

Review by Jackarino See Profile

• Location: Allendale,Bergen,NJ
Good "Alot of channels and features"
Bad "Storms"
Overall "Excellent if there isn't a storm outside"
Mail,DNS,News:

I loved directv! I had a ton of channels and an excellent DVR service. Price is good, a little on the high side after a year or two. If there's any kind of storm or light drizzle outside, don't plan on watching tv, because this service is terrible in those situations!

member for 8.2 years, 2304 visits, last login: a few minutes ago

Comments:

Review by backtodt See Profile

• Location: Frisco,Collin,TX
Good "dependable and interface is nice to use"
Overall "so glad to have it back and be rid of Dish"
Mail,DNS,News:

Had DirecTV but switched to Dish for a good deal. Lousy service and interface with Dish was awful. Nothing was easy to use. Swithched back to DirecTV. I have so many free things that Dish said would cost extra so they only seemed cheaper than DirecTV. Now I can record 5 shows at once where I was limited to 2. I LOVE DirecTV!!

Comments:

Russelld

@centurytel.net

Dish vs. directv

I switched from dish to directv and I've had nothing but trouble with directv. The screen freezes when you do anything, so I have to reboot the whole system about once a day. Techs have been out twice in the first month, still problems. I've call tech support maybe three times in addition to tech guys being out here. They say I have the best top of the line directv receiver in my house. At least the reset button works without fail, but that's about it.

Guy

Horrible Service, Rude People, Bait and Switch Tactics

The worst experience in 2012. Ordered Services and they tried to "bait and switch" to a higher price. Called President Mike White informed he Never talks to customers, too bad. went to a customer service department who didn't care, told me in essence to take it or leave it. talked to a supervisor Kelly Morgan and she was rude and said it was my problem. i couldn't believe in todays business market a company operated like this. I will never recommend them to anyone and anytime anyone asks me they are the very worst! too bad.

Unhappy Cust

@sonic.net

Too high a PRICE and POOR Customer Service

The price jumps to ridiculous amounts and the customer service is really shit. We canceled only to find that the bill doesn't - haha. I would not want to inflict this kind of service on my worse enemy.

Service reps ROBO talk and little in the way of customer satisfaction was received.

LIED TO

@sonic.net

Talk to So Asia - and Get Satisfaction?????

I cancelled my service with DIRECT TV and in the process have found them to have NO ETHICS or INTEGRITY. At the cancellation we were told by the "Resolutions Department" that we just needed to ship back the equipment and that our balance would be zero. Today I received a bill for $101.01 I have talked to 3 Customer Service Agents - one of which told me that the account would be "zeroed out" and to a supervisor in So Asia.

I asked the supervisor for some INTEGRITY - that they would actually stand behind what their PEOPLE SAID - she said that "INTEGRITY is being consistent." Maybe I just don't get it - but I always thought it was "STANDING BEHIND YOUR WORD."

DirectTV must be consistent in misleading and screwing people.

Dissapointed

@fau.edu

Re: Talk to So Asia - and Get Satisfaction?????

Same experience, but I did not cancelled, instead I moved and downgraded the service. Direct TV customer service, never switch the package, therefore I was paying for a program that i did not receive. Called and talked to two supervisors and they didn't care, they stated that the program will be switched to the new package but have to pay for the premier programer. I will never recommend Direct TV, they are a ripoff.

Review by grimlock See Profile

• Location: Tampa,Hillsborough,FL
Good "Crystal clear HD and outstanding channel line-up"
Bad "Pre-sales information about prices and fees"
Overall "It's the best bang for the buck I've ever gotten"

I really wanted to be a good cord-cutter and just go with OTA signals in addition to the various apps I get on my PS3, but unfortunately, physics precludes this. OTA signals are line-of-sight and I cannot receive them. But I also enjoy sports quite a bit so I have to have some good sports programming.

Keeping this in mind, I had two choices: DirecTV and Verizon FiOS. DirecTV offered the channel line-up I want for about $35/month (later went up to $50); Verizon offered the same selection for ~$75/month. That, in addition to the fact that Verizon does not carry NasaTV which is FREE, quickly eliminated Verizon. So I signed up for DirecTV's "Choice" package with an HD receiver (I did not want the DVR and its extra fees). I ordered it on a Sunday and the best they could do was to install it on Friday. That seemed below average to me, but the technician was awesome. He was friendly and knew what he was doing. Installation took maybe 20 minutes at the most. However he didn't have to install anything but the receiver and get it programmed and I was off to the races. (FYI: I live in a condo which already has the dishes installed, so it's satellite TV but from my perspective it's really great cable.)

Since then, it's been rock-solid reliable. I love the channels I get, the HD is crystal clear all the time, and I only pay ~$50/month for the next year. After the first 12 months, it will go up to ~$73/month for another 12 months, then the mandatory 2 year contract ends and I will re-assess my OTA situation. I also love their onscreen tv guide menu...

The only thing I noticed and didn't like was that the fees add up faster than I was led to believe. They say the first HD receiver is free, and I only have 1 HD set, then they charge me a $10 fee for HD service. I thought I could get my payments down to about ~$45/month, but they always seem to have another fee they can throw in there to keep it at least $50. Or maybe I just really stink at math, that wouldn't surprise me either lol. But even after all that, only paying $50/month for 12 months and getting all these channels, I really couldn't be happier.