DIRECTV page on DSLReports

Review by premiumdsl4v See Profile

• Location: Houston,Harris,TX
Good "Delivered advertised product accordingly."
Bad "Weather related, when it storms, creates an outage, naturally."
Overall "Outstanding company, Outstanding product, and service."

·America Online
·AT&T Southwest
Basic service.
Install went smoothly, no glitches.
Was struck by how quickly the install went. Prompt!

Did learn about the code 771 that appears on the tv Just after a storm hits and knocks off the signal. How to rectify. Pleasant experience, and did see where the paper guide even mentions about that code. In Our case, it actually was just that, cause of the storm- code appeared and did what instruction stated and rectified itself. Thankfully.

Only bad thing is the Satellite gets interference from Thunderstorms, and even heavy rainstorms.

Comments:

Pip

@spcsdns.net

Direct tv warranty program

I purchased the direct tv warranty plan now keep in mind, after they told me it covers every tv in the home regardless how old i called for repair and they said they didnt cover my tv and the customer rep started to insult my intelligence by saying we dont repair microwaves,stoves or refrigerator either i thought she was rude and sarcastic so people when direct tv say this or that triple check to make sure its true....signed watch out for liars

Review by comp See Profile

• Location: Evans City,Butler,PA
Good "Best Choice for HD and Sports"
Bad "None Really"
Overall "WAYYY Better than Armstrong Cable"

·Armstrong Zoom ..
Had Directv for 3 years and will never switch back to cable.

member for 13.1 years, 5466 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

no name

@verizon.net

horrible service don't ever get it

first off every time it rains you can't watch tv. if you move they what to charge you to set up the satellite again. second they lie to you about prices and charge you more than what they said. third when you get your final bill they charge you for all these none sense things and have no way to show you your statement from the charge. DONT EVER GET DIRECTV they suck

Shax

Re: horrible service don't ever get it

I have never had that experience. I have been with them for 12 years and moved during that time. I got free installation, free dish and receiver upgrades and everything. I get billed for everything I signed up for. I have had signal loss 2 times (that I am aware of) in 12 years. Once during a torrential downpour, and once when I had about 2 inches of ice on the dish. Total outage time was about 20-30 minutes between both incidents. I LOVE Direct TV and highly recommend it.

Navyvet

@comcast.net
Get Comcast then and talk to the folks in the Asia. Directv is the best customer service I ever had and they are in the US. They follow up and I love them. Sure there are storm issues with Directv however, after Hurricane Sandy on the east coast, Comcast was out for weeks. No discount. I hate comcast I want them out of my house and I hate folks who send US jobs overseas. Comcast is a cash cow and raping the US of jobs.

byblos007

@168.221.143.x

Re: horrible service don't ever get it

Hi, direct tv installed my service yesterday and today it stopped working. I called to cancel they said there is a 900 dollars termination fee. What a great company

Elene

@comcast.net
I was transferred to direct tv from Verizon cause they r not in my area. Omg. For a sales team how rude.... They would not even tell me the price if packages until they do a credit check and set up a install what's wrong with that picture. The sales person was talking over me and said there must be a reason ur shopping g etc... I will never consider direct tv can u imagine after u have service what they provide.

jjarvis

@sbcglobal.net

Direct TV

Well I signed up and then decided not to, due to the fact you have to pay to cancel, So every business, make a product that people do not want to cancel. I do not know what is going to happen two years down the road. Nope not going to do it.

fuck directv

@optonline.net

the worst service provider in the US!

i would not advice anyone to get direct t because they are the worst service providers ever in the USA. they are all bunch of piers, ranging from installers to supervisors.

horus

@tmodns.net

Re: the worst service provider in the US!

Yes you right,never give them your credit card number,if you do it get ready for surprise,they will stole your money in the most shameful manner,even if you account its already canceled.
said by fuck directv :

bob25

@sigecom.net

worst service don't ever get direct tv

We recently got behind on our payment when my wife lost her job. Derict tv would not work with us at all. Since we use our debit card before to make a payment. They said they can bill us without our permission. Which they did.Then they said they would bill us again and there was nothing we could to stop it. Don't ever give these people your debit/credit card or acount information. Their service completely sucks. Every time we got a little rain our service went out. The service was ok when the weather nice. Direct tv's customer service and dish service is a freaking joke. If you use them just be careful.

Review by David See Profile

• Location: Granite City,Madison,IL
Good "Great channel selection,"
Bad "Tech support can be hit or miss"
Overall "Works, and works well for a dual reciever"
Mail,DNS,News:

Service worked on the day it was installed, only had to call repair about 2x that I can remember. The first guy stated I needed a new head unit and told me it would be $400 to replace. When I called back to cancel my service (I have been out of contract) they seemed to be more responsive in helping me. Main problem was the unit was stuck at like 75% on it's reload status (we lost power for a bit, and the main unit didn't want to reload completely). When I called back they stated that unit just needs it's memory jogged a bit, they had me go in and change the transponder to another channel and change it back, It worked and it came back up.

Cancel ling and adding service via DirecTv is easy to do as well as upgrading and downgrading your service pkg. Right now the price is at $65/month, but I am shopping the competition to see what's available as well as channel selection.

Still for the years I have had it 2004-Now it's been rather reliable. I have at most only had 2 outages (minus the power outages) that was because of the service. Not bad for a 5 year run.

04/15/10
Still have the service, got a discount of about $10 for the next year which lowered the price to $58/month.

10/24/11-
This service is starting to disappoint as of late. The carriage disputes are one thing, but with the new boxes we got last year this one has been getting worse. I am starting to "shop around" as the value here on DirecTv is diminishing.

05/15/13- I have been investigating tv pkgs as the current $75/month is kind of sticking to me as there isn't much on tv I really care to watch but netflix has plenty. Another thing on my list of things to do is either they re-negotiate or I cancel. Either or won't bother me in the least.

member for 12.3 years, 5979 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
younghov22

join:2013-06-20
San Diego, CA

Hi Speed Internet

Do you have your internet thru DIRECTV? If so, how is it and would you recommend it? Thanks!

David
I start new work on
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL

Re: Hi Speed Internet

Don't have internet through them as I have around me charter cable, DSLextreme, and AT&T uverse.

Review by Mr_A1 See Profile

• Location: Dickson,Dickson,TN
Good "Matched or better value than AT&T UVerse with superior HD picture quality"
Overall "If you want great picture quality for the price consider Directv."
Mail,DNS,News:

I switched back to Directv from AT&T UVerse after an almost 2 year break; I cannot believe I actually tried UVerse and kept it as long as I did. The install was short with an update to a SWiM LNB with DECA and an HR24-100 DVR. The picture quality to 1000x better than UVerse ever was and no DD sound issues as with UVerse, which caused me to use just stereo instead of DD. Now, with the new HDGUI and other new items coming out, Directv is starting to jump ahead of the competition.

member for 10.4 years, 3627 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

RandyButler

@embarqhsd.net

unscrupulous business practices

In Dec Directv agent came to mom's home, sold her a package. (78 years old on
social security). I (son, on ss also) agreed to pay the up front $50 up for her. Used
my ATM with agreement, no auto billing.(Not my account) Billing to be moved to her
(mom's) Centurylink bill next month (Jan.) Promised would not be charged for premimum
channels following trial period, turn them off.

The install, a fiasco. System never worked correctly. What hardware that does work,
extremely buggy. Tried to bill for their new bad hardware (3 mo old). Tech stole
a 5V power supply, used it where 12v was needed, left trash over house, yard. Obviously
no testing, no explanations (installed late Friday)

Billing with Centurylink never happened. I was good guy, paid January bill online
because they billed ME online (not mine!). February's, they illegally hit my ATM. In March,
illegally hit my ATM, including cost of premimum channels. March withdrawal caused
bounced checks and to miss Easter with my children.

My kids are hurt. The junk doesn't work. I am out big bucks! They refuse to return money
they stole from me for somebody Else's bill.

This is wire fraud and id theft! watch out it is a scam. Legal action in progress.

Review by stev32k See Profile

• Location: Mobile,Mobile,AL
Good "The install was the best I've had. On time and the tech earned his money"
Bad "Nothing so far"
Overall "Wish I had switched a long time ago"

·Mediacom
·AT&T Southeast
Update 3/12/13

I canceled the DTV service. The service was good but the price was too high and we do not watch enough TV to justify the $90/mo they were charging. When I called to cancel I had to put up with a 15 minute sales pitch trying to talk me into staying with the service. They offered to reduce my bill to $60/month, or give me a lower priced package for even less. I told the lady if they had reduced my bill a year ago I might not be cancelling now.

They sent me a pre-paid shipping box to return the receivers. I thought that was a nice touch.

---------------------------------

Everything about DTV has been very good so far. The installation was completed the day after I signed up. The tech that did the install did a very good job. He completely re-wired the whole house. The existing cable was over 15 years old and he replaced all of it (and did a good job) without my asking.

I had Mediacom cable service for 12 years and thought they had pretty good picture quality, but DTV is better. It might be because of the new cable - not sure - but what ever the reason it is better. I love the DVR service. I never had it before now and it has made me enjoy TV as much as I use to. The HD channel line up is much better than Mediacom and the best part is the price is lower than Mediacom. Even after the introductory period (12 months) the full price will still be lower.

Edit April 9, 2012

After a little over a year I still like DTV very much. No problems with the service, picture, or anything else so far. I think there was one outage that lasted for about 5 or 10 minutes during a bad thunder storm. The picture I get on my Panasonic Plasma TV is amazing and several people have commented on it - I think one has since switched to DTV from Comcast.

Comments:

socrates

Nightmare with Direct TV

I had Direct TV FOR 2 YEARS. IT WAS A NIGHTMARE, WITH CONSTANT SERVICE PROBLEMS REGARDING TV SERVICE. THE RECEIVERS WERE CONSTANTLY OUT AND HAD TO BE FIXED BY THEIR SERVICE REP. THERE WERE OUTAGES, BILLING PROBLEMS, FAULTY EQUIPMENT AND IT WAS A DISASTER. I FINALLY CANCELLED AFTER A TWO YEAR CONTRACT. THEY SENT THE RETURN BOXES FOR THE RECEIVERS TO THE WRONG ADDRESS. THEN THEY SAID THEY WOULD SEND THE BOXES TO MY ADDRESS IN A FEW DAYS. THEY LEFT ME A NOTE TO PICK UP AT THE POST OFFICE. I PICKED UP ONE BOX ONLY FOR TWO RECEIVERS, WHICH WAS INCORRECTLY SENT. THERE WERE SUPPOSE TO BE TWO BOXES FOR TWO RECEIVERS. I HAS TO PAY OUT OF POCKET TO SEND THE SECOND RECEIVER BACK AND WAS TRANSFERRED THREE TIMES BEFORE I FOUND A CUSTOMER SERVICE PERSON WHO KNEW ANYTHING, BUT DIDN'T KNOW MUCH. IT WAS THE OLD, "blame yourself for the wrong amount of boxes routine. I did tell them what I needed. Took 3 weeks to finally get boxes. Had to wait in line at the post office then figure out how to send the two receivers back. I paid for one receiver to go back to their facility in Ontario CA. This was a NIGHTMARE and I am so happy to not have to deal with this co any longer. They actually tried to talk me into resubscribing again....I DON'T THINK SO!!

na

@myvzw.com

unprofessional

Directv assholes suck they refuse to accomodate customers and are very unprofessional! Technicians lie and then you end up paying money because they messed up. Don't get directv

stev32k
join:2000-04-27
Mobile, AL

Anomymous posters strike again

I love how all these anonymous posters seem to come out of the woodwork after every positive review. Surly they are not competitor employees - naw, they would not do that, would they?
bizmarks12

join:2012-06-05

Re: Anomymous posters strike again

You sound like a direcTV associate yourself. Why are you so bent on accusing people of being the competition? DirecTV sucks ass and that's that! They are thieves, they are unprofessional and I will never ever get DirecTV again. They accused me of skipping a payment which I never did, so hen I was ready to cancel, they debited $150 from my account. Bunch of assshole thieves and their services suck. Once they get you on the hook for a 2 year contract, they don't give a damn. They get rude and I even had a CSR hang up in my face. That's how much they care. DO NOT GET DIRECTV. Be warned!

stev32k
join:2000-04-27
Mobile, AL

Re: Anomymous posters strike again

I had a long reply ready, but on second thought I'll just let your post speak for itself.
tomterrfcr

join:2012-06-25
Los Angeles, CA
Well, I'm not anonymous and my father was launch co-ordinator for Hughes Space and Communications Group which put up the satellites that DirecTV uses.

The minor bad things are that there is never anything to watch, and even though paying a fortune, there still were endless commercials, not only on programs but even on the menu!

The worst thing, though, is how dishonest the company is. They signed a contact with me for $29/mo. They then charged me $67/mo anyway. When I called them and faxed a copy of my contract, they said "So sue us."

I signed up in loyalty to my father and Hughes (for which I also worked for a while), but this is one of the worst and most dishonest companies I have ever dealt with, and is far, far removed from Hughes.
bizmarks12

join:2012-06-05

DirecTV is the worst!

Just be warned. DO NOT get DirecTV. They are a bunch of liars. At first, I was promised 2 HD boxes, which they did not give me. So when I called in to ask for my HD boxes, they said it was a mix up. Then the next month, they started charging me $10 for HD service that I did not have. Made that account bounce because those funds were set aside for paying bills. I was charged a $30 fee for overdraft and DTV would not pay it, even though it was their fault. Fast forward a few months, they reset my contract because I added some equipment. I was 18 days away from being done with my 2 year contract. Though I wanted to stay with them, this is VERY sneaky. Now am on the hook for 2 more years!
I decided enough is enough, and called UVerse. they offered to pay the early termination fee for me. They did not even demand that I sign a contract with them. This is what I call confidence in your brand!! I decided Ok. I will take that offer. So I called DTV and told them that I wanted to cancel. To my big surprise, they said that i had skipped a payment and that I owed $93 (an extra month)+ early termination fees. I asked how I could fight it but they said that this was something that I owed and had to pay up. They let me know that this amount and the termination fee would be debited from the card that I had on file, regardless. They act like a bunch of crooks/ thugs. I was so pissed that I payed the whole early termination fee+ $93 and I am free of direcTV I hope. They better not send any pamphlets, ads at my house because if DTV was the only cable provider left out there, I would rather do without than pay them a penny. I now moved to Uverse. Installation was quick and professional, I have 12MBps Internet + 360 channels and 3 HD boxes with whole house DVR, all for $104. I thought to myself they must be kidding! And no they are not. My first bill came up and it was $104 for cable TV and very high speed Internet (No contract- I could cancel tomorrow if I wanted to but why should I? service is excellent). Oh and by the way, when i asked direcTV for HD service, they said that I would have to buy HD boxes at $200 a pop AND pay for installation. Need I repeat that HD service is included in my UVerse installation?!
I am not here to glorify UVerse because I know that corporations are all the same. They always try to rape the little guy off of his money but hey, so far am happy with AT&T. So no matter what you do, DO NOT GET DIRECTV!!!! Move to Time Warner cable/ Adelphia, FIOS, DISH, whatever ..... anything but DIRECTV. They are a bunch of thieves with no conscience!
tomterrfcr

join:2012-06-25
Los Angeles, CA

Avoid DirecTV like the plague!

Never anything to watch, and even though paying a fortune, there still were endless commercials, not only on programs but even on the menu!

My father was a co-ordinator of the Hughes Satellites which DirecTV uses, and I signed up in loyalty to him, but this is one of the worst and most dishonest companies I have ever dealt with, and is far, far removed from Hughes.

ymhee_bcex
join:2006-04-21
Tarzana, CA
·PHONE POWER
·VOIPO

All are about the same

These over the top accusations in ALL CAPS sound like they are coming from somebody who is unhinged... They are CROOKS! No, they are THIEVES! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!1I1! Frankly, you don't sound very convincing.

I've had DirecTV, Dish, and Time Warner over last 10 years. They are all about the same. Time Warner has a bigger selection of free Video-on-demand; DirecTV is a little cheaper. They also have better technical support folks on the phone than Time Warner. TW was quicker to dispatch a technician (Level 1 support often made these decisions without even getting to L2), those guys were quite knowledgeable but in several cases the problem was on the server, and the trip wasn't really necessary.

TW has better web-based programming tools, but DirecTV has a more liberal watching policies - my wife often watches the shows on her computer at work.

From billing perspective didn't have any problems with either of them. Time Warner requested that I return the receivers to the office (which is next to my daughter's school, so it wasn't a big deal); I did but TW didn't process it properly. So, they put a charge of $50 for technician visit. The first person on the phone didn't have a clue, but the supervisor apologized and reversed the charges. DirecTV sent boxes for DVRs; they didn't need non-DVR receivers. Don't remember what happened with Dish, but didn't have any problems either.

THEY ARE THE SAME!!! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
Technical problems are more often than not management incompetence masquerading as technical issues

upset

@sbcglobal.net

changing customer policy and hidden fees from Direct TV

Initially the service with Direct TV was good, but we found a better deal with AT&T U-verse.

When it came time to cancel, we asked multiple times if there was a cancellation fee.

Months later we received a bill for a cancellation fee. Now over a year later we are still getting harassed by a collection agency.

How come Direct TV does not listen to all those recorded phone conversations and acknowledge that one of their agents assured us that there would be no cancellation fee?????

Review by brettarmstrong93

• Location: Opelika,Lee,AL
Mail,DNS,News:

I was told to be here at noon and the installer would come between noon and 4. At 4, a lady three states away called and told me the guy would be here between 4 & 5. It is now 5:20, no one has arrived & the automated calling service says my installer is 45 minutes away! Would not recommend.

Sent from my iPhone

(review was emailed from domain gmail.com)

Comments:

Mp

Direct tv is a SCAM!

Direct tv is a scam because they sent me a flyer for 200 dollar debit card for signin up for direct tv an then I called an spoke to multiple people and they all were saying that I wasn't eligible for the debit card when that was the whole reason I signed up they just suck you in an then scam you I would not recommend direct tv too anyone. This is ridiculous. Because they said the people that signed me up for it didn't put the debit card on my account saying that I was able to get the debit card. That is a scam.

Suckered

Re: Direct tv is a SCAM!

Wow! Same issue here just tonight. Suppose to be here by 4pm, automated call came after we got a call around 5 minutes after 4 from installer. Automated called said same, 45 minutes away. The installer got here around 4:30, had to call in a friend to help and they left here at 7:30.
ollie71

join:2013-01-02

Unhappy with new DTV install

DTV was installed 10/18/12. Installation rep did not go over what he was installing, to see if it was what I ordered/wanted. He had probems connecting to my WiFi, but said it was corrected, then left. I had intermittent trouble since then with WiFi connections & pixillation. Called them 10/28/12 c/o pixillating on tv screen & they assisted with correcting it. Thought all issues were resolved, but NO they weren't. Called them again 11/22/12 about loss of WiFi connection. Received new ethernet cable after Thanksgiving. Still had problems, so called them again. Today, tech came to house & said there were initial install problems & corrected them, got rid of ethernet & WiFi works great! But we discovered that we did not have GENIE DVR, as I had requested in the first place. Called Customer Service & they said they had only one record of my calling with complaints, & that I couldn't get the free GENIE because I waited too long to tell them that what I had wasn't what I ordered. The GENIE would be $500, not free like the ads state! Rep gave me every excuse in the book, blaming ME for not knowing that I didn't have a GENIE, not accepting any responsibility for the 'bait and switch'! How was I to know that what looked like a GENIE wasn't one? As I said my reception was intermittent. I would NEVER recommend DTV to anyone! I now know that many of my friends/family have also had negative reviews of DTV.

Janet

@mycingular.net

Direct tv sucks

Direct tv sucks they told me I could cancel at no cost 30 days after activation n when I called to cancel due to unsatisfactory service they told me that I have to pay $460 are u kidding me?? Do not recommend. Dish is much better service

Richga

@wayport.net

Re: Direct tv sucks

same thing here.. this was the only reason i had dtv installed. a 30 day cancellation option. called on day 28 only to hear the same thing. $480 in fees. they said i had to cncel within the first 24 hour. i can't wait for this contract to be gone..

blxiblues

@comcast.net

SLIMY Sales Technique !!!

Although they talk a good talk, DIRECT TV is just as slimy as all the others. I called to explore the option of switching from COMCAST. I just wanted info. My bad: I allowed myself to be railroaded into scheduling a tentative installation appt. Their bad: Even though I cancelled the appt 12 hours later, the installation charge still appeared on my credit card, and now I will wait 10 days for a refund. Just as bad as COMCAST, maybe worse.

Keel

@bellsouth.net

Direc TV

In comparison to Dishnetwork, DirecT TV is a thief. It is obvious that Dishnetwork are honest people; they are upfront as to what you will pay for your monthly services. I signed a contract for a fixed monthly payment during a promotion for two years. When I received my first month bill, it was on target. When the second bill arrived, the payment had ballooned up. They are deceitful when they tell the customers about their initial sign-on, and once the contract is signed they manipulate your account to their satisfaction. "DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH DIRECT TV," it is a scam, and they come up with all kinds of lies to cover their backs. Apparently, they think that the American public is stupid. Well, those same customers have friends and they have friends that will give them heads up about Direct tv's scams. Eventually, their business/wall will come tumbling down. YOU REAP WHAT YOU SOW DIRECT TV!!! One pissed off unsatisfied short-term customer.

Re: Direc TV

Well Dish Network is a joke. They lie, lie, lie!!! My bill has never been right. I should be paying around $130.00 give or take a dollar or two but my bills have been over $200.00. Every time you talk to someone they change their story. My husband was talking to some lady and wanted to fax her our statements for the last year and a half, she wanted no part of it. She got defensive and said she was looking at the same statement but it wasn't reading what was on ours. They are liers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

scamed

@spcsdns.net

thief

direct tv is a thief got my atm card number for hookup charged me and then canceled said soneone else lived their before so they had to keep my money now I have to cancel my debit card.

Review by Jackarino See Profile

• Location: Allendale,Bergen,NJ
Good "Alot of channels and features"
Bad "Storms"
Overall "Excellent if there isn't a storm outside"
Mail,DNS,News:

I loved directv! I had a ton of channels and an excellent DVR service. Price is good, a little on the high side after a year or two. If there's any kind of storm or light drizzle outside, don't plan on watching tv, because this service is terrible in those situations!

member for 7.7 years, 2020 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by backtodt See Profile

• Location: Frisco,Collin,TX
Good "dependable and interface is nice to use"
Overall "so glad to have it back and be rid of Dish"
Mail,DNS,News:

Had DirecTV but switched to Dish for a good deal. Lousy service and interface with Dish was awful. Nothing was easy to use. Swithched back to DirecTV. I have so many free things that Dish said would cost extra so they only seemed cheaper than DirecTV. Now I can record 5 shows at once where I was limited to 2. I LOVE DirecTV!!

Comments:

Russelld

@centurytel.net

Dish vs. directv

I switched from dish to directv and I've had nothing but trouble with directv. The screen freezes when you do anything, so I have to reboot the whole system about once a day. Techs have been out twice in the first month, still problems. I've call tech support maybe three times in addition to tech guys being out here. They say I have the best top of the line directv receiver in my house. At least the reset button works without fail, but that's about it.

Guy

Horrible Service, Rude People, Bait and Switch Tactics

The worst experience in 2012. Ordered Services and they tried to "bait and switch" to a higher price. Called President Mike White informed he Never talks to customers, too bad. went to a customer service department who didn't care, told me in essence to take it or leave it. talked to a supervisor Kelly Morgan and she was rude and said it was my problem. i couldn't believe in todays business market a company operated like this. I will never recommend them to anyone and anytime anyone asks me they are the very worst! too bad.

Unhappy Cust

Too high a PRICE and POOR Customer Service

The price jumps to ridiculous amounts and the customer service is really shit. We canceled only to find that the bill doesn't - haha. I would not want to inflict this kind of service on my worse enemy.

Service reps ROBO talk and little in the way of customer satisfaction was received.

LIED TO

@sonic.net

Talk to So Asia - and Get Satisfaction?????

I cancelled my service with DIRECT TV and in the process have found them to have NO ETHICS or INTEGRITY. At the cancellation we were told by the "Resolutions Department" that we just needed to ship back the equipment and that our balance would be zero. Today I received a bill for $101.01 I have talked to 3 Customer Service Agents - one of which told me that the account would be "zeroed out" and to a supervisor in So Asia.

I asked the supervisor for some INTEGRITY - that they would actually stand behind what their PEOPLE SAID - she said that "INTEGRITY is being consistent." Maybe I just don't get it - but I always thought it was "STANDING BEHIND YOUR WORD."

DirectTV must be consistent in misleading and screwing people.

Dissapointed

@fau.edu

Re: Talk to So Asia - and Get Satisfaction?????

Same experience, but I did not cancelled, instead I moved and downgraded the service. Direct TV customer service, never switch the package, therefore I was paying for a program that i did not receive. Called and talked to two supervisors and they didn't care, they stated that the program will be switched to the new package but have to pay for the premier programer. I will never recommend Direct TV, they are a ripoff.

Review by grimlock See Profile

• Location: Tampa,Hillsborough,FL
Good "Crystal clear HD and outstanding channel line-up"
Bad "Pre-sales information about prices and fees"
Overall "It's the best bang for the buck I've ever gotten"

I really wanted to be a good cord-cutter and just go with OTA signals in addition to the various apps I get on my PS3, but unfortunately, physics precludes this. OTA signals are line-of-sight and I cannot receive them. But I also enjoy sports quite a bit so I have to have some good sports programming.

Keeping this in mind, I had two choices: DirecTV and Verizon FiOS. DirecTV offered the channel line-up I want for about $35/month (later went up to $50); Verizon offered the same selection for ~$75/month. That, in addition to the fact that Verizon does not carry NasaTV which is FREE, quickly eliminated Verizon. So I signed up for DirecTV's "Choice" package with an HD receiver (I did not want the DVR and its extra fees). I ordered it on a Sunday and the best they could do was to install it on Friday. That seemed below average to me, but the technician was awesome. He was friendly and knew what he was doing. Installation took maybe 20 minutes at the most. However he didn't have to install anything but the receiver and get it programmed and I was off to the races. (FYI: I live in a condo which already has the dishes installed, so it's satellite TV but from my perspective it's really great cable.)

Since then, it's been rock-solid reliable. I love the channels I get, the HD is crystal clear all the time, and I only pay ~$50/month for the next year. After the first 12 months, it will go up to ~$73/month for another 12 months, then the mandatory 2 year contract ends and I will re-assess my OTA situation. I also love their onscreen tv guide menu...

The only thing I noticed and didn't like was that the fees add up faster than I was led to believe. They say the first HD receiver is free, and I only have 1 HD set, then they charge me a $10 fee for HD service. I thought I could get my payments down to about ~$45/month, but they always seem to have another fee they can throw in there to keep it at least $50. Or maybe I just really stink at math, that wouldn't surprise me either lol. But even after all that, only paying $50/month for 12 months and getting all these channels, I really couldn't be happier.

Comments:

Review by revmichaeld See Profile

• Location: Gwynn Oak,Baltimore,MD
Good "I have had Directv for over 1 year and I couldn't be more satisfied!"
Bad "Regular rate increases."
Overall "It sure beats paying Comcast every month plus I get 1080p on demand though DTV"

Well, I have had the service for over a year now (Installed December 2010) and I have not had many major issues. I can only recall losing TV service fore 5 minutes over the summer last year but I regularly maintain solid signal strength in the 94-98 percent range on most transponders thus I don't deal with rain fade as much as someone who has signal strength in the 80 percent or lower range.

The online features of the system are nice and I love the whole home DVR system. I wish I had the 5 tuner system that Direct TV just released this year. Picture quality has been excellent as is sound quality. Most programming I watch is now broadcast in HDTV and I am able to view on my HDTV along with the Dolby Digital Surround. When there is not Dolby Digital track than Dolby Prologic II does a nice job of giving me surround as well.

Directv offers alot of programming choices and I enjoy accessing and seeing whats on with the New HD guide. I find Direct TV to surpass Comcast when it comes to PQ and features of its settop boxes. Direct seems to offer products closer to what FIOS would or is offering. (FIOS is not available in Baltimore City)

Well, that's Directv for ya.

member for 14.2 years, 1654 visits, last login: 360 days ago

Comments:

cloo

@myvzw.com

losing channels

Well its been good for a while I guess if you can call charging 1.50 extra for not having telephone line.We'll see how long you all like it when your bill keeps going up. Mine has went up 30.00 since I started with them. Thing about it I have not changed anything.How many of you are in the same boat.How much more can they go up for the same service.Sounds like time to change. You have all these channels that aren't worth having.Why are you taking channels off now you want more money for getting it. YES.