DIRECTV page on DSLReports

Review by revmichaeld See Profile

• Location: Gwynn Oak,Baltimore,MD
Good "I have had Directv for over 1 year and I couldn't be more satisfied!"
Bad "Regular rate increases."
Overall "It sure beats paying Comcast every month plus I get 1080p on demand though DTV"

Well, I have had the service for over a year now (Installed December 2010) and I have not had many major issues. I can only recall losing TV service fore 5 minutes over the summer last year but I regularly maintain solid signal strength in the 94-98 percent range on most transponders thus I don't deal with rain fade as much as someone who has signal strength in the 80 percent or lower range.

The online features of the system are nice and I love the whole home DVR system. I wish I had the 5 tuner system that Direct TV just released this year. Picture quality has been excellent as is sound quality. Most programming I watch is now broadcast in HDTV and I am able to view on my HDTV along with the Dolby Digital Surround. When there is not Dolby Digital track than Dolby Prologic II does a nice job of giving me surround as well.

Directv offers alot of programming choices and I enjoy accessing and seeing whats on with the New HD guide. I find Direct TV to surpass Comcast when it comes to PQ and features of its settop boxes. Direct seems to offer products closer to what FIOS would or is offering. (FIOS is not available in Baltimore City)

Well, that's Directv for ya.

member for 14.6 years, 1654 visits, last login: 1.4 years ago

Comments:

Review by kiknwing See Profile

• Location: Roy,Weber,UT
Good "Great to Existing and New Customers"
Bad "Nothing"
Overall "Can't go wrong with directv"

Update 11/28/2011

I have had the new HD GUI for a few months now and it is fantastic. I never thought that my HR22-100 could be so fast. It's not as fast as the HR24-500 but it is a huge improvement.

I upgraded to a SWM setup in June and activated Whole Home DVR service. That was the best $40 I have ever spent (I installed the swm equipment myself). The Whole Home service is great, it allows for playback of saved content on a dvr on any hd or hd dvr receiver. It does not turn your hd receiver into a dvr, if you want dvr capabilities get a dvr. I also added a H24 to the family and it is a great receiver.

Original Review

I have never had a better customer service experience with a company. The service ans install techs are very friendly and skilled. Only have had one billing problem but that was taken care of in minutes. If you get the chance, make sure you get a HR24 for your DVR. This is Directv's newest and fastest dvr to date. I have a HR22 & HR24 and the HR24 blows the doors off the HR22. As far as rain fade, it only goes out one or two times a year. Snow is not a problem if you fill a squirt gun with hot water. I think that I will be a customer for at least another 12 years.

Comments:

Review by MacThrasher See Profile

• Location: Chagrin Falls,Cuyahoga,OH
Good "HD, tons of channels, great reliability, good installation"
Bad "Delays in installation, momentary lapse when changing channels"
Overall "So much better then TWC, I am VERY happy"

Update 11-17-11: Still very happy with their service.

Got sick of Time Warner. Thankfully I do not have them for internet access.
I had the "optimum" step up from basic cable. It went up by $15 and we lost 15 channels. I decided to start looking. AT&T wanted to offer Dish, but I decided... no. I want DirecTV.

Installed something like 3/28/08 after three delays by BlueGrass. Fine. They at least sent out a great install tech, Anthony. Some of the remotes had to be tweaked, but 2 reg def and two HD receivers were installed in about 3-4 hours.

For about 90 bucks? 185 channels? most in HD?
OK. One little complaint.
All HD channels appear first usually then the lo-res standard after, except for Fox Sports Ohio and Sports Time Ohio... they appear AFTER the lo-res version ... FSN is 657_1 rather then giving me the HD first.

Other than that. I give them a B+

member for 12.8 years, 2939 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by tristar2 See Profile

• Location: Alpharetta,Fulton,GA
Good "Great Hi-Definition and 3D content!"
Bad "Loss of signal during moderate rain"
Overall "If you don't mind the occasional loss of signal during some rain or snow events, the content and price are a winner!"
Mail,DNS,News:

The 1080P and 3D content is great. The worst thing about the service is the loss of signal during some rain and snow events.

We have 8 televisions in our home so DirecTV was a cost effective service initially. We grew tired of signal loss so after 3 years we switched to another service provider..

Comments:

Review by schimmy See Profile

• Location: Castle Rock,Douglas,CO
Good "Great Promo Prices, better quality then Comcast in my area"
Bad "On Demand is still lacking but getting better/iPhone app stinks"
Overall "Great for the first two years, heard canceling can be difficult."

Switch from Comcast to DirectTV after all the problems I was having with Comcast after a year and a half with them.

Signed up through Costco and got great promo rates for the first two years that Comcast could not beat. All they would offer me is a 6 month promo that wasn't much of a promo. With me signing up through Costco, I got a $180 gift card for Costco and got it within two weeks after I got everything installed.

Overall, I'm very happy with the quality of the HD and even the SD stations compared to the quality of Comcast. I have not had one problem with any recordings yet with DirectTV's DVR, unlike Comcast when I would have to monitor it every single day. They also set me up with the Whole House DVR which has worked great.

Comcast only offered the main feed of the premium channels where as DirectTV pretty much has every single HD feed that the premiums offer which is real nice if I want to record a later showing of a movie on the west feed.

I like that I can just see the channels I get in my package unlike Comcast, and that they offer the HD feed of a station at the same channel number and able to hide the SD feed. Makes surfing so much easier. Comcast had HD channels in the higher numbered channels and were in no order what so ever. Some HD feeds in the mid 600's, some in the 700's and some in the 800's. They did have everything in the 700 range for awhile then switch back to the mixed channel line ups for no reason.

I also like some of the apps they have on their DVR box for sports scores and weather to name a few. I also like I can look at a lot of the sport channels at once then pick which one I want to watch. Again, Comcast does not have.

The only bad part I've found is that they don't have BBC HD, AMC HD, E! HD, those are the only channels I still have to watch in SD. I really like their iPad app but their iPhone app stinks.

DirectTV has been increasing their OnDemand options but they are still not close to what Comcast offered. That's probably the biggest thing I do miss from Comcast. DirectTV could also change up how to look for shows and the menu for it has it's not super easy to search for stuff.

Comments:

Review by bigred1324 See Profile

• Location: Fort Wayne,Allen,IN
Good "Great HD picture quality"
Bad "goes out when it rains"
Overall "needs more national HD's"
Mail,DNS,News:

We switched from Frontier FiOS when they offered a bundle that would make the DTV service free for the rest of 2011. The install took about 4 hours and we got an HR24 HD-DVR and 2 H23 HD receivers.

The only real downside to the service is the rainfade. During some heavy rain it knocks out the HD channels and during some really bad storms it knocks out everything. It's a good thing to have the internet to fall back on. Plus, Direc spams your email inbox with useless emails. So if you can don't give them your main email address.

Comments:

Review by dustman81 See Profile

• Location: Tallmadge,Summit,OH
Good "Great price, Whole House DVR"
Bad "TV Apps not working"
Overall "Good alternative for cable"

9/18/10 - After TWC decided to raise my rate from $93/mth to $132/mth, I switched to DirecTV. I signed up under the 5 month free Premier package with the purchase of NFL Sunday Ticket. I also get the free HD for life and the AAA discount of $10 off a month for 20 months, making my total for the first 5 months $74.62.

9/22/10 - The tech arrived in the scheduled 4PM to 8PM window (he came at about 7PM). I showed him the south side of the house and he said there was good line of sight. There was a old Dish Network 500 dish on the roof left by the former owners. However, since the Slimline3 dish requires a 2" pole and the Dish 500 dish was a 1 3/4" pole, he couldn't use it. He installed a new mount on the roof and removed the old Dish 500 dish. A SWiM was used.

He brought a HR24 DVR, H24 receiver and the broadband DECA I had requested. The HR24, H24 and DECA work flawlessly. I'm getting high 90s on my transponders, the picture quality is excellent and I've only had one instance of rain fade which was during a heavy rain. I'm able to use all of my On-Demands and watch my recordings on my second receiver. I am even able to watch my recordings on my computer with Direct2PC. My TV Apps aren't working, giving me an error code 11, but that is an annoyance.

All and all, more channels for less money than TWC.

Comments:

Review by ellsbury46 See Profile

• Location: Toms River,Ocean,NJ
Good "SIGNAL STRENGTH IS GOOD NEVER WENT OUT EVEN IN THE BLIZZARDS THIS WINTER"
Bad "THEY LIED TWICE BEFORE I SIGNED UP"
Overall "USE CAUTION BEFORE YOU SIGN UP"
Mail,DNS,News:

In December I decided to get rid of my Cable Company once my cable bill came to be over 140$ a month, Saw a Directv ad advertising the premier package for 80/Month so I gave them a look see, First I saw the channel lineup and I noticed NESN which airs the Red Sox games and being a huge fan I said man that would save me from buying MLB Extra Innings every year instant 200$ savings.

Next thing I saw was they offer you a $100 Visa Gift Card also so that was cool so I gave them a call.

First question I asked that once Baseball season came around would I get my Red Sox games Via NESN and not have to worry about buying that 200$ package just to watch one team, The salesman assured me the games would come threw so I said OK great.

Next thing he told me if I would like to link my credit card to my account in order to secure my $100 gift card and I said yeah which I planned to do anyway even without the gift card.

2 Months later no gift card so I gave Directv a call and the lady told me I didn't qualify because I didn't link my checking account WHICH WAS NEVER TOLD TO ME so they screwed me out of that.

Now baseball season started and guess what NESN is on all day and the games are all BLACKED OUT so i called Directv again asked why my games are blacked out on NESN, Guy told me that you can only watch games on MLB Extra Innings which costs 200$ and when I told him what was told to me before I signed up he said they should have never told me that because it wasn't true, Then he offered me a 5 dollar credit for the month being as disgusted as i was i didn't accept, Other then that Directv has been great I just didn't appreciate being lied to just so they got another customer.

Comments:

Review by SolarPup See Profile

• Location: Greeley,Weld,CO
Good "Great picture, no problem with quality!"
Bad "Watch for billing mistakes..."
Overall "Great deal for the money, if you're ok with a contract."

I used to work for Comcast, so I was skeptical about the whole dish situation. Gave it a shot after changing jobs, and was very pleased. Enough HD channels for the masses, great quality, easy to use system. Very much cheaper than cable!

Comments:

Review by Derch See Profile

• Location: Tulsa,Tulsa,OK
Good "Fast, easy install. What seemed to be a hassle free cable transition."
Bad "The signal is spotty when it's really cloudy, but thats a given."
Overall "A heck of a lot better than U-Verse and Cox cost and support wise."

I'm very impressed with Directv, there pricing is a lot better than Cox and support is a ton better than AT&T's.

member for 10.3 years, 2030 visits, last login: a few hours ago