DIRECTV page on DSLReports

Review by Jared See Profile

• Location: Abbeville,Vermilion,LA
Good "Excellent quality, reliability, equipment, and pricing!"
Bad "Technicians (setup/in-home service) aren't knowledgeable."
Overall "Exellent company, but needs to train their techs better!"
Mail,DNS,News:

We have had DirecTV for years now. (possibly 8 years?)

We first got it when we were shut off from our previous land-satellite provider. We used an antenna with local channels only until we received an offer from DirecTV in the mail. It was an incredible offer at the time--don't remember what it was exactly though.

After we signed up, we opted to have service self-installed by one of our cousins. They set it up perfectly (they were better than today's techs) and we were up and running in a day. Severe weather-- even hurricanes-- passed and service went uninterrupted! Amazing, isn't it?

Anyhow, once we lost our home in Hurricane Rita, we called and had our DirecTV service moved to my grandma's house. They set service up in two rooms in an excellent time and manner. (but, of course, we KNEW the tech!) We were up and running within a few hours. (and this was fresh wiring)

Months passed and we finally got our own home again. We called DirecTV AGAIN to have them move the service AGAIN. At first, they declined because we had just recently requested a move, but they approved it since we were Hurricane Rita victims-- which, shall I say, required us to talk to a manager in order to get it moved over.

Again, service was installed and up within hours.

The only bad experiences I've had were when we required calling them to come and fix our equipment because of a power surge. (we weren't getting the correct things on our receiver) The technician told us it was because our phone line was simply not plugged in. Bull. We called and they reprovisioned our service and sent a new receiver. After which, we were fine and dandy. The tech who came, though, got off with a dire warning as far as I was told.

That's all for my DirecTV review. I'll be with them until cable is available.

Comments:

Review by Grentz See Profile

• Location: Waconia,Carver,MN
Good "Great prices, channel selection, and reliability"
Bad "CS can be annoying. Installers vary widely in quality"
Overall "Best tv service I have found"
Mail,DNS,News:

I have been with Directv for going on 12 years and have been very pleased. I started out with a self install (back when they did that) of a simple single receiver and dish.

After about 8yrs I finally decided to move up to a DVR and this was my first experience with their install techs. Very hair brained and I pretty much walked them through what they should do as I know my way around satellite and home theater stuff very well (I am a home theater consultant). In the end it all got installed well though and worked out great.

Now most recently I moved up to their HD service and two HD-DVRs. Overall really love them and the HD service is awesome with a great choice of channels that is ever expanding. Some bash their HD-DVRs, but they are actively being developed and constantly improving, plus I love the new features they are adding over time to them and that they are actively developing them, not just leaving them as is.

PQ is great on most channels, and I prefer the PQ of Directv over Dish which I think is not quite as good (have used both a lot). New SWM (single wire) technology is also great as it allows the satellite wire to be split and DVRs to only need one line, plus only one line needed into the house instead of the old 2 or 4.

Overall I love the service, tons cheaper than cable for much more content. The only thing that lets me down a bit is the Installers which can either be awesome or lack luster. Luckily for me I pretty much do all my own work so the only time I have HAD to have them come out is to deliver new receivers, but now Directv is shipping them to existing customers more often than not if you do not need a new dish or wiring (in my case I just say I do not need wiring as I do it myself). Their CS can also be a bit annoying and not give you a straight answer always, but usually you can get to what you want eventually.

Reliability is great though, have only really had to call in 5 or so times in 12 yrs and installers have only been out around 3 times, just to drop off equipment

Comments:

Review by Dmangusto See Profile

• Location: Sherrills Ford,Catawba,NC
Good "Great picture, lots of HD channels, DVR is excellent"
Bad "Offshore customer service staff (like everywhere else) are complete idiots! Service sketchy during heavy thunderstorms"
Overall "10 years in and there is still nothing better out there"
Mail,DNS,News:

I've had DirecTV for almost 10 years with their premium package and currently have 3 HD-DVR's. Unlike some others I saw posted, I've moved with DTV several times and install dates were always met and everything installed as promised. The picture is fantastic and I love the fact that they continue to upgrade their services and features despite the fact that they're all ready significantly ahead of everyone else (in my opinion). Most recently, I turned on my TV to find that my receivers had been upgraded to offer 1080p pay-per-view movies AWESOME! I typically hardly use the pay per view, but was considering a Blue-Ray player, and now maybe won't need one. they even just eliminated the need to run two cables through my house to run the dual tuners. I also like the external hard drive option to add more DVR storage since the 1080p recordings are going to eat up more space.

I do have a few of gripes:

1. their offshore customer service dept is entirely useless!!!!! 10 years ago when you called, you got someone in the US and problems were instantly resolved. Now, you'll spend at minimum an hour on the phone with them reading from a script and asking you to repeat procedures that you've all ready told them you did. They have NEVER been able to solve any problem I've had whether it was a technical or billing issues it didn't seem to matter. Now when I call I demand to speak to someone in the US, and once I get them on the phone any issue is immediately resolved.

2. I shouldn't need 3 DVR's to watch my recorded programming. My receivers are all connected to ethernet so they can get the pay-per-view, why can't I record on one box and watch on another. I'm aware of all the DRM issues, but within my own house, it should be a no-brainer. Not a deal breaker, but recording the same show on three different boxes so I can watch them wherever I want is ridiculous.

3. They should offer me the same prices as new customers. Its annoying that I see there ads for my package at discounts of $20-30 less a month for the first year but will not give me the same price.

Still with my rants complete, they offer a great service, alot more HD channels than competitors and their receivers are complete enough that I like them and simple enough my wife can use them without help.

Comments:

Review by j2fast See Profile

• Location: New Cumberland,Hancock,WV
Good "Larger selection of channes, Lots of HD content,"
Bad "Behind competition in DVR features, lack of coverage in all local DMA's like cable"
Overall "While they are behind in some tech they are catching up and will pass their competitors. IMO the best value in pay TV"
Mail,DNS,News:

Their tech support is seriously lacking but good info can be found on the. dbstalk.com is my go-to for all things DirecTv as far as info on new tech and support goes.

Comments:

Review by Lenagainster See Profile

• Location: Silver Spring,Montgomery,MD
Good "Lots of channels to choose from"
Bad "lose signal with heavy cloud cover, our receiver became sporatic"
Overall "adequate if nothing else available."
Mail,DNS,News:

We started with DirecTV years ago when we had to purchase our own dish and receiver. Missed out on all the subsequent deals for free installation, free equipment, free service for the first few months. Going from commercial packed, free OTA TV to what we thought would be commercial free programming for under $30 per month. Just as many commercials, but we learned to live with it. Pixelization and loss of signal during a thunderstorm, and even heavy cloud cover, but we were forewarned and learned to live with it. The only thing we ever added to our "Choice" package was the local channels to save ourselves from switching between the dish and the antenna, but we watched our subscription increase from about $30 to $55. Not about to shell out more money for all new equipment so that we could watch different programs on each of the three TVs in the house, so we wired the other two as monitors and watched whatever was on the main TV, and learned to live with it.

We never ordered any 'On Demand' or special events, never had any problems with billing, which was automatically charged to a credit card.

Over the past year or so, we noticed that our receiver started acting flakey, It would randomly turn off and then after a few seconds, turn back on to another channel. It was annoying, but we learned to live with it. We just grabbed the remote and switched back to the channel we were watching. A bit more annoying when we were listening to a music channel playing through speakers in another room and it switched to a talk show. Not about to plop down another $70 for a new receiver. We lived with it.

We already had FiOS Internet and for about $5 more than we were paying for DirecTV to one television, we could get independent use of three TVs with FiOS TV, and not have to tolerate signal loss during a storm. So we switched. Let me say briefly that the picture quality on our old 32" CRT TV is definitely better with FiOS TV than with DirecTV. No more waiting five to ten seconds for the program description to show up in the guide. At some point, DirecTV's music was switched over to "XM Satellite", and our pleasant background music was interrupted constantly by an announcement that "this is XM Satellite Radio". What a downgrade!

When we called to cancel DirecTV, they were anxious to make a deal and lower my subscription fee. I had to insist that I was not interested in playing games with prices and just wanted to cancel. That call to DirecTV was the most frustrating time I ever had in dealing with them over the phone, as all previous contacts with them had been pleasant.

DirecTV, IMHO, is o.k. if nothing else is available. We have never had cable, so I can't compare that service, but for the short time we have had FiOS TV, it is definitely far superior to DirecTV.

member for 9.2 years, 1416 visits, last login: 4.3 years ago

Comments:

Review by mikedz4 See Profile

• Location: Weirton,Hancock,WV
Good "Large HD content, huge on-demand library"
Bad "If you can't get a Line Of Site or Local channels"
Overall "I highly recommend DirecTV for tv"
Mail,DNS,News:

I really love DirecTV for their dvr on the interent, their interactive content, their HD content. The only problems are Line Of Sight and quite a few people can't even get SD local channels in their areas yet. All in all if you can get locals and see the satellites go for it, you wont regret it.

member for 11 years, 4787 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by pyakit See Profile

• Location: Wyoming,Kent,MI
Good "none"
Bad "slow, dns probs, 3 sec delay before anything happends"
Overall "worst ever internet. barely better than dial up"
Mail,DNS,News:

Had a directway dish about 4 foot and 1000$ and then got 3 second pings and the slowest connection ever. Also got capped at 128 k after the first big file i sent or downloaded and the cap would stay for the whole day basically. Worst pos i ever had. Go to microwave its sooooo much better.

Comments:

Review by cfm117 See Profile

• Location: Woodland Hills,Los Angeles,CA
Good "Good HD selection/good price"
Bad "Installer no show 2x"
Overall "Good alternative to cable"
Mail,DNS,News:

Directv is a good choice imo. Ive had it for about 6 months and I like it so far. Install was fouled up some. Took about 3 weeks to finally get installer to show after calling in after our appt window has passed. We were told he was behind and may or may not show today. Got a tech to show on the 3rd try. Other than installation, its been good

Comments:

Review by DemonicLlama See Profile

• Location: Potomac,Montgomery,MD
Good "Good picture, service, packages"
Bad "HD prices"
Overall "Very good TV package all around"
Mail,DNS,News:

I have the full channel line up but not as a HD service. I have had DTV for 6 years and have been very happy with it. Longest time without a signal was 15minutes due to heavy thunderstorms that happen rarely here in DC. Have 2 Directivo units and 2 normal boxes. Works great. I also have Hughesnet, as said in the forums its a low usuage connection depending on the plan but works great for email, youtube, and various sites plus the occasional legal torrent download(movie trailers for me mainly).

Comments:

Review by openupshop See Profile

• Location: Phoenix,Maricopa,AZ
Good "Clear Picture, Most HD Channels, Cheaper Than Cox"
Bad "NONE"
Overall "Clearer picture than cox, Cheaper, Very Friendly Web Site"
Mail,DNS,News:

I have had Direct TV for about 3 months now. I have no complaints at all. I had Dish Network and was not very happy with them. I had Cox for TV services and they nickel and dime you for everything. Don't get me wrong I still have Cox for my internet. Thats it INTERNET ONLY. I have tried out the VOD and love it. You could also stream music view pictures on your TV from your PC. With Over 85 HD channels you can't go wrong!