DIRECTV page on DSLReports

Review by LadyCash See Profile

• Location: 43938/43952
Good "Great Sales Rep, informative installer, good customer service"
Bad "Too many things no clear on website or with sales rep... though rep answered every question I asked"
Overall "It is worth it!"

I was with cable TV. I let my promotion lapse. I was unable to get into a new promotion. My budget funds shrunk suddenly, so needed to find service for less or opt for no service.

I was with Directv previously for eight years before going to cable tv. I am not "technically new" to Directv. Though much has changed in 3-4 years since I left Directv. I left due to being sold on bundling in a door to door campaign that was apparently going on for the cable company.

I was impressed that the Directv Sales Rep spent 72 minutes answering my questions. We covered packaging, local channels, On Demand through HSI router, promotions, renewing promotions... I had printed out channel line up for each package in order to compare orange to oranges to what was available on cable TV before I called.

I chose the Choice Extra Package DVR +HD, HD Access, HD Extra and Sports Extra for the current promotion price of $55 plus tax/fees. I received additional discounts or discounted prices.

I ordered on a Friday evening on the phone after starting to order online. Direct.com had message box on last page of order to call in for special savings. I cannot comment on the online ordering process as I did call sales.

The installation was scheduled on the very next Monday. The order was Friday evening with installation three days later. I was impressed. I figured it would be a week at the very least.

The Directv installer was very informative despite arriving 15 minutes before the four hour installation window schedule. He was kind enough to call and inform me of his expected arrival time. There had to be some changes made since I had Directv last. The installer worked with me on running new cable for the satellite dish. I did not take the advice of the installer of moving the satellite dish higher (attached on the south facing of the house to our deck). We let a volunteer tree grow that will be an issue in a few years. Mister was not home or available by mobile to see if moving the satellite to a new location higher on the house was acceptable to him. The installer made me aware that if the tree was not topped (or moved) that if we wanted the satellite moved it would cost if a professional installer did it.

The installer made sure before he began that I knew I would not get the local channels at this time. Also, informed me that I would not even get national feeds. This is where I missed the boat. I had not thought to ask about national feeds. We had national network feeds before. He said I must of petition to get them. I do not remember. The installer said our TV was digital therefore could get local channels with antenna.

I will have to check out antennas that do not look like the mammoth of the past.

The only thing that happened that I question is the connection to my HSI. Once the installer was done I asked about it. He asked if I ordered the kit. No. I did not need a kit. I have an open port for HSI for Directv receiver. I asked if he would be connecting it. He said no that I would have to get ethernet cable. I did not question further. Maybe I should of because I discussed this with sales rep. I even gave the distance from HSI cable/gateway to receiver/TV.

The installer went through the control options through the remote once installation was complete. He left all paper work, Directv manual and channel lineup (found out is outdated). He also left his business card.

I was pleased with the installation and professional mannerism of the installer.

I called customer service during installation to get the low down on the national network feeds. I was told I would have to file a petition (same as installer stated). CS rep tried to file it while I was on the phone but could not because the account was still in pending mode. He said to call after installation. I called after installation was complete. It could take as little as two weeks or six months before each network answered my petition. I will receive a call informing of the answer(s) as they are received.

Installation is done and installer left. I channel surf. I soon come to discover that I am missing HD Extra. I call customer service. At first I am informed that is an extra $5 a month. I explain that I went over the order twice with the sales rep and that it was included for free because I was giving an extra discount. I was placed on hold about one minute. He came back to inform me that I have it free for six months. He makes the necessary changes. After resetting receiver, I have the channels for HD extra.

I get the necessary length of Ethernet cable to connect receiver to router. Once I did the connect and test within the set up menu on the screen I had On Demand almost instantly. The on screen message said it could take up to 24 hours.

I experienced the one issue with satellite TV the very night of installation, severe storms. Our service was disrupted only twice for less than 20 seconds both time. That is pretty good considering that we were experiencing high winds (30-50 mph) and heavy rain and lightening. Some areas nearby experienced hail. It was nasty. At this same time... cable HSI goes (as does cable tv in the area).

I used DVR almost immediately. I downed free shows through On Demand. Everything worked great.

I am pleased. I will update this review in 3-6 months.

Comments:

Review by Metatron2008 See Profile

• Location: Stockbridge,Henry,GA
Good "Amazing quality! Tons of hd channels! Great customer service!"
Bad "Um, not free?"
Overall "What can I say? Get it!"
Mail,DNS,News:

We've had Directv since super bowl sunday, when It was installed in 2 rooms.

We then added a third and dvr service.

Now we're about to add it to 3 more rooms.

Couldn't ask for a better service, I have hd-dvd and bluray, directv is maybe a LITTLE less quality.

For the price of bluray movies, $130 for hundreds of movies on directv is in my opinion and excellent deal.

We haven't had many problems, except no connection to the satellite when one of the hurricanes this year past over.

I can't imagine a better service.

UPDATE 6/6/2009: Directv is changing. While most of what I said still holds true, they are no longer the leader in national hd. Plus, their customer service has fallen hugely.

Still a good value, but I'm slowly starting to look at competition...

member for 6 years, 3288 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by uid1307457 See Profile

• Location: Tempe,Maricopa,AZ
Good "HD tv rules, DVR option"
Bad "my dish has to go on the third floor while I live on the first"
Overall "HD and DVR are awesome, plus they charged me for the DVR, then returned the $$ lol"
Mail,DNS,News:

My install is tomorrow and will update this review afterwards. The installer was here one time and was not very helpful in trying to set up my dish. The dummy told me that the dish was too big to be connected to the tripod stand that was designed for it. He tried to explain, poorly, why I couldnt get my HD channels if he set up the dish. apparently, (after a second opinion for another guy from directv) the regular satellite is south while the HD satellites (note the 's') are to the south but more too the right. well, this posed a problem since I am on the first floor and a building blocks the view of HD satellites. After some unnecessary haggling on my part to motivate a third installer I finally got him to determine that I could (80% chance) pick up the signal from the 3rd floor balcony above me.

Well, I got permission from my apartment complex to have wires hanging down three floors and the approval of the 3rd floor tenant to have the dish on his balcony. hopefully, the dish will pick up the regular & HD satellites.

EDIT: Putting the dish on the 3rd floor balcony worked.

member for 8.7 years, 1277 visits, last login: 5.2 years ago

Comments:

Review by Jared See Profile

• Location: Abbeville,Vermilion,LA
Good "Excellent quality, reliability, equipment, and pricing!"
Bad "Technicians (setup/in-home service) aren't knowledgeable."
Overall "Exellent company, but needs to train their techs better!"
Mail,DNS,News:

We have had DirecTV for years now. (possibly 8 years?)

We first got it when we were shut off from our previous land-satellite provider. We used an antenna with local channels only until we received an offer from DirecTV in the mail. It was an incredible offer at the time--don't remember what it was exactly though.

After we signed up, we opted to have service self-installed by one of our cousins. They set it up perfectly (they were better than today's techs) and we were up and running in a day. Severe weather-- even hurricanes-- passed and service went uninterrupted! Amazing, isn't it?

Anyhow, once we lost our home in Hurricane Rita, we called and had our DirecTV service moved to my grandma's house. They set service up in two rooms in an excellent time and manner. (but, of course, we KNEW the tech!) We were up and running within a few hours. (and this was fresh wiring)

Months passed and we finally got our own home again. We called DirecTV AGAIN to have them move the service AGAIN. At first, they declined because we had just recently requested a move, but they approved it since we were Hurricane Rita victims-- which, shall I say, required us to talk to a manager in order to get it moved over.

Again, service was installed and up within hours.

The only bad experiences I've had were when we required calling them to come and fix our equipment because of a power surge. (we weren't getting the correct things on our receiver) The technician told us it was because our phone line was simply not plugged in. Bull. We called and they reprovisioned our service and sent a new receiver. After which, we were fine and dandy. The tech who came, though, got off with a dire warning as far as I was told.

That's all for my DirecTV review. I'll be with them until cable is available.

Comments:

Review by Grentz See Profile

• Location: Waconia,Carver,MN
Good "Great prices, channel selection, and reliability"
Bad "CS can be annoying. Installers vary widely in quality"
Overall "Best tv service I have found"
Mail,DNS,News:

I have been with Directv for going on 12 years and have been very pleased. I started out with a self install (back when they did that) of a simple single receiver and dish.

After about 8yrs I finally decided to move up to a DVR and this was my first experience with their install techs. Very hair brained and I pretty much walked them through what they should do as I know my way around satellite and home theater stuff very well (I am a home theater consultant). In the end it all got installed well though and worked out great.

Now most recently I moved up to their HD service and two HD-DVRs. Overall really love them and the HD service is awesome with a great choice of channels that is ever expanding. Some bash their HD-DVRs, but they are actively being developed and constantly improving, plus I love the new features they are adding over time to them and that they are actively developing them, not just leaving them as is.

PQ is great on most channels, and I prefer the PQ of Directv over Dish which I think is not quite as good (have used both a lot). New SWM (single wire) technology is also great as it allows the satellite wire to be split and DVRs to only need one line, plus only one line needed into the house instead of the old 2 or 4.

Overall I love the service, tons cheaper than cable for much more content. The only thing that lets me down a bit is the Installers which can either be awesome or lack luster. Luckily for me I pretty much do all my own work so the only time I have HAD to have them come out is to deliver new receivers, but now Directv is shipping them to existing customers more often than not if you do not need a new dish or wiring (in my case I just say I do not need wiring as I do it myself). Their CS can also be a bit annoying and not give you a straight answer always, but usually you can get to what you want eventually.

Reliability is great though, have only really had to call in 5 or so times in 12 yrs and installers have only been out around 3 times, just to drop off equipment

Comments:

Review by Dmangusto See Profile

• Location: Sherrills Ford,Catawba,NC
Good "Great picture, lots of HD channels, DVR is excellent"
Bad "Offshore customer service staff (like everywhere else) are complete idiots! Service sketchy during heavy thunderstorms"
Overall "10 years in and there is still nothing better out there"
Mail,DNS,News:

I've had DirecTV for almost 10 years with their premium package and currently have 3 HD-DVR's. Unlike some others I saw posted, I've moved with DTV several times and install dates were always met and everything installed as promised. The picture is fantastic and I love the fact that they continue to upgrade their services and features despite the fact that they're all ready significantly ahead of everyone else (in my opinion). Most recently, I turned on my TV to find that my receivers had been upgraded to offer 1080p pay-per-view movies AWESOME! I typically hardly use the pay per view, but was considering a Blue-Ray player, and now maybe won't need one. they even just eliminated the need to run two cables through my house to run the dual tuners. I also like the external hard drive option to add more DVR storage since the 1080p recordings are going to eat up more space.

I do have a few of gripes:

1. their offshore customer service dept is entirely useless!!!!! 10 years ago when you called, you got someone in the US and problems were instantly resolved. Now, you'll spend at minimum an hour on the phone with them reading from a script and asking you to repeat procedures that you've all ready told them you did. They have NEVER been able to solve any problem I've had whether it was a technical or billing issues it didn't seem to matter. Now when I call I demand to speak to someone in the US, and once I get them on the phone any issue is immediately resolved.

2. I shouldn't need 3 DVR's to watch my recorded programming. My receivers are all connected to ethernet so they can get the pay-per-view, why can't I record on one box and watch on another. I'm aware of all the DRM issues, but within my own house, it should be a no-brainer. Not a deal breaker, but recording the same show on three different boxes so I can watch them wherever I want is ridiculous.

3. They should offer me the same prices as new customers. Its annoying that I see there ads for my package at discounts of $20-30 less a month for the first year but will not give me the same price.

Still with my rants complete, they offer a great service, alot more HD channels than competitors and their receivers are complete enough that I like them and simple enough my wife can use them without help.

Comments:

Review by j2fast See Profile

• Location: New Cumberland,Hancock,WV
Good "Larger selection of channes, Lots of HD content,"
Bad "Behind competition in DVR features, lack of coverage in all local DMA's like cable"
Overall "While they are behind in some tech they are catching up and will pass their competitors. IMO the best value in pay TV"
Mail,DNS,News:

Their tech support is seriously lacking but good info can be found on the. dbstalk.com is my go-to for all things DirecTv as far as info on new tech and support goes.

Comments:

Review by Lenagainster See Profile

• Location: Silver Spring,Montgomery,MD
Good "Lots of channels to choose from"
Bad "lose signal with heavy cloud cover, our receiver became sporatic"
Overall "adequate if nothing else available."
Mail,DNS,News:

We started with DirecTV years ago when we had to purchase our own dish and receiver. Missed out on all the subsequent deals for free installation, free equipment, free service for the first few months. Going from commercial packed, free OTA TV to what we thought would be commercial free programming for under $30 per month. Just as many commercials, but we learned to live with it. Pixelization and loss of signal during a thunderstorm, and even heavy cloud cover, but we were forewarned and learned to live with it. The only thing we ever added to our "Choice" package was the local channels to save ourselves from switching between the dish and the antenna, but we watched our subscription increase from about $30 to $55. Not about to shell out more money for all new equipment so that we could watch different programs on each of the three TVs in the house, so we wired the other two as monitors and watched whatever was on the main TV, and learned to live with it.

We never ordered any 'On Demand' or special events, never had any problems with billing, which was automatically charged to a credit card.

Over the past year or so, we noticed that our receiver started acting flakey, It would randomly turn off and then after a few seconds, turn back on to another channel. It was annoying, but we learned to live with it. We just grabbed the remote and switched back to the channel we were watching. A bit more annoying when we were listening to a music channel playing through speakers in another room and it switched to a talk show. Not about to plop down another $70 for a new receiver. We lived with it.

We already had FiOS Internet and for about $5 more than we were paying for DirecTV to one television, we could get independent use of three TVs with FiOS TV, and not have to tolerate signal loss during a storm. So we switched. Let me say briefly that the picture quality on our old 32" CRT TV is definitely better with FiOS TV than with DirecTV. No more waiting five to ten seconds for the program description to show up in the guide. At some point, DirecTV's music was switched over to "XM Satellite", and our pleasant background music was interrupted constantly by an announcement that "this is XM Satellite Radio". What a downgrade!

When we called to cancel DirecTV, they were anxious to make a deal and lower my subscription fee. I had to insist that I was not interested in playing games with prices and just wanted to cancel. That call to DirecTV was the most frustrating time I ever had in dealing with them over the phone, as all previous contacts with them had been pleasant.

DirecTV, IMHO, is o.k. if nothing else is available. We have never had cable, so I can't compare that service, but for the short time we have had FiOS TV, it is definitely far superior to DirecTV.

member for 9.7 years, 1416 visits, last login: 4.8 years ago

Comments:

Review by mikedz4 See Profile

• Location: Weirton,Hancock,WV
Good "Large HD content, huge on-demand library"
Bad "If you can't get a Line Of Site or Local channels"
Overall "I highly recommend DirecTV for tv"
Mail,DNS,News:

I really love DirecTV for their dvr on the interent, their interactive content, their HD content. The only problems are Line Of Sight and quite a few people can't even get SD local channels in their areas yet. All in all if you can get locals and see the satellites go for it, you wont regret it.

Comments:

Review by pyakit See Profile

• Location: Wyoming,Kent,MI
Good "none"
Bad "slow, dns probs, 3 sec delay before anything happends"
Overall "worst ever internet. barely better than dial up"
Mail,DNS,News:

Had a directway dish about 4 foot and 1000$ and then got 3 second pings and the slowest connection ever. Also got capped at 128 k after the first big file i sent or downloaded and the cap would stay for the whole day basically. Worst pos i ever had. Go to microwave its sooooo much better.