Tell me more x
, there is a new speed test available. Give it a try, leave feedback!

DIRECTV page on DSLReports

Review by Lenagainster See Profile

• Location: Silver Spring,Montgomery,MD
Good "Lots of channels to choose from"
Bad "lose signal with heavy cloud cover, our receiver became sporatic"
Overall "adequate if nothing else available."
Mail,DNS,News:

We started with DirecTV years ago when we had to purchase our own dish and receiver. Missed out on all the subsequent deals for free installation, free equipment, free service for the first few months. Going from commercial packed, free OTA TV to what we thought would be commercial free programming for under $30 per month. Just as many commercials, but we learned to live with it. Pixelization and loss of signal during a thunderstorm, and even heavy cloud cover, but we were forewarned and learned to live with it. The only thing we ever added to our "Choice" package was the local channels to save ourselves from switching between the dish and the antenna, but we watched our subscription increase from about $30 to $55. Not about to shell out more money for all new equipment so that we could watch different programs on each of the three TVs in the house, so we wired the other two as monitors and watched whatever was on the main TV, and learned to live with it.

We never ordered any 'On Demand' or special events, never had any problems with billing, which was automatically charged to a credit card.

Over the past year or so, we noticed that our receiver started acting flakey, It would randomly turn off and then after a few seconds, turn back on to another channel. It was annoying, but we learned to live with it. We just grabbed the remote and switched back to the channel we were watching. A bit more annoying when we were listening to a music channel playing through speakers in another room and it switched to a talk show. Not about to plop down another $70 for a new receiver. We lived with it.

We already had FiOS Internet and for about $5 more than we were paying for DirecTV to one television, we could get independent use of three TVs with FiOS TV, and not have to tolerate signal loss during a storm. So we switched. Let me say briefly that the picture quality on our old 32" CRT TV is definitely better with FiOS TV than with DirecTV. No more waiting five to ten seconds for the program description to show up in the guide. At some point, DirecTV's music was switched over to "XM Satellite", and our pleasant background music was interrupted constantly by an announcement that "this is XM Satellite Radio". What a downgrade!

When we called to cancel DirecTV, they were anxious to make a deal and lower my subscription fee. I had to insist that I was not interested in playing games with prices and just wanted to cancel. That call to DirecTV was the most frustrating time I ever had in dealing with them over the phone, as all previous contacts with them had been pleasant.

DirecTV, IMHO, is o.k. if nothing else is available. We have never had cable, so I can't compare that service, but for the short time we have had FiOS TV, it is definitely far superior to DirecTV.

member for 10.2 years, 1416 visits, last login: 5.3 years ago

Comments:

Review by mikedz4 See Profile

• Location: Weirton,Hancock,WV
Good "Large HD content, huge on-demand library"
Bad "If you can't get a Line Of Site or Local channels"
Overall "I highly recommend DirecTV for tv"
Mail,DNS,News:

I really love DirecTV for their dvr on the interent, their interactive content, their HD content. The only problems are Line Of Sight and quite a few people can't even get SD local channels in their areas yet. All in all if you can get locals and see the satellites go for it, you wont regret it.

member for 11.9 years, 5026 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by pyakit See Profile

• Location: Wyoming,Kent,MI
Good "none"
Bad "slow, dns probs, 3 sec delay before anything happends"
Overall "worst ever internet. barely better than dial up"
Mail,DNS,News:

Had a directway dish about 4 foot and 1000$ and then got 3 second pings and the slowest connection ever. Also got capped at 128 k after the first big file i sent or downloaded and the cap would stay for the whole day basically. Worst pos i ever had. Go to microwave its sooooo much better.

Comments:

Review by cfm117 See Profile

• Location: Woodland Hills,Los Angeles,CA
Good "Good HD selection/good price"
Bad "Installer no show 2x"
Overall "Good alternative to cable"
Mail,DNS,News:

Directv is a good choice imo. Ive had it for about 6 months and I like it so far. Install was fouled up some. Took about 3 weeks to finally get installer to show after calling in after our appt window has passed. We were told he was behind and may or may not show today. Got a tech to show on the 3rd try. Other than installation, its been good

Comments:

Review by DemonicLlama See Profile

• Location: Potomac,Montgomery,MD
Good "Good picture, service, packages"
Bad "HD prices"
Overall "Very good TV package all around"
Mail,DNS,News:

I have the full channel line up but not as a HD service. I have had DTV for 6 years and have been very happy with it. Longest time without a signal was 15minutes due to heavy thunderstorms that happen rarely here in DC. Have 2 Directivo units and 2 normal boxes. Works great. I also have Hughesnet, as said in the forums its a low usuage connection depending on the plan but works great for email, youtube, and various sites plus the occasional legal torrent download(movie trailers for me mainly).

Comments:

Review by openupshop See Profile

• Location: Phoenix,Maricopa,AZ
Good "Clear Picture, Most HD Channels, Cheaper Than Cox"
Bad "NONE"
Overall "Clearer picture than cox, Cheaper, Very Friendly Web Site"
Mail,DNS,News:

I have had Direct TV for about 3 months now. I have no complaints at all. I had Dish Network and was not very happy with them. I had Cox for TV services and they nickel and dime you for everything. Don't get me wrong I still have Cox for my internet. Thats it INTERNET ONLY. I have tried out the VOD and love it. You could also stream music view pictures on your TV from your PC. With Over 85 HD channels you can't go wrong!

member for 14.3 years, 514 visits, last login: 1.3 years ago

Comments:

Review by GeekBigboy See Profile

• Location: Riverside,Riverside,CA
Good "had it for 4 years now but equipment sucks now."
Bad "Box needs replaced every 4 months for DVR and need a new 2 year contract each time Fu$$ DTV"
Overall "used to be good but thinking of going all cable after this contract is up"
Mail,DNS,News:

Direct TV as good down hill since they got rid of Tivo and used there new crap boxes. Thinking of going back to cable in year when contract is up.

Comments:

Review by Tim618 See Profile

• Location: Garrettsville,Portage,OH
Good "Can't get any better HD channels from anywhere else, theres tons!"
Bad "My DVR "skips" sometimes."
Overall "Doesn't get any better than this!"
Mail,DNS,News:

HAd directv for over 5 years. Had dish before, Dish absolutely sucked. Everytime the sky was cloudy, i would lose signal with them. Connection is rock solid with directv, however sometimes the DVR skips, and the picture blacks out and then comes back. Had DVR replaced and it still does it, im sure this issue will be fixed soon with upgrades, etc.

Overall, if you want a wide variety of HD channels, with picture quality thats down right amazing, go directv.

member for 11.4 years, 3814 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by boggaf05 See Profile

• Location: Gaffney,Cherokee,SC
Good "Best HD Lineup"
Bad "None!"
Overall "The best television service for the money"

Had now for over 12 years and have never had a problem. Recently upgraded from Charter HD to DirecTV HD and have never made a better decision. Picture quality is excellent and customer service has been very helpful.

member for 8.7 years, 1904 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Hookem99 See Profile

• Location: Pflugerville,Travis,TX
Good "Great picture, decent CS, compared"
Bad "Expensive, too many 'add ons'"
Overall "DTV nickel and dimes you to death, but the picture quality is great"

I have been with DTV since 1997 and been relativly happy until the last year or two. DTV charges for EVERY little thing and im tired of paying for the features I should get with my package. Example: I pay a hundred and some for the MLB extra innings package to watch unlimited baseball. I also pay 10/mo for the HD service. But to get the baseball games in HD, oh thats another 99.00 package. Same thing for the Football package. I now have to pay for local HD channels, because you cannot integrate the OTA HD antenna into the receivers with the new HD channels. Their equipment is good, but you have to pay 399.00 to lease a HDDVR that I have to return when im done. That just seems odd to me!! All and all I suppose I would recommend DTV, but I am anxious for ATT Uvearse to arrive and see what that is all about!!